2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Callaway UW

copegolfer

I checked Will and no uw. I would love to get a 23. Any advice to finding one?

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5 Project X Denali Black 60S Driver

Callaway AI Smoke TD Tensei AV White 75 Stiff 3 Wood

Callaway Apex UW 19 & 21 deg MMT 70 Stiff Hybrids

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP 5-PW Project X IO 5.5 Irons

Cleveland RTX 6 48.10, 54.10, 60.12 TI DG Spinner Wedges

Ping Oslo 4 PLD Putter

TaylorMade TP5

Vessel Lux XV 2.0 Black Cart Bag

Any one have any thoughts on a 19 degree with a 7 wood and a 3 wood?  

I think I am just having some UW FOMO BUT I just added a Callaway Rogue LS Max 7 wood at 21 degrees which is great off the tee but unless I am going for a very specific carry on a par 3, I'll never pull it on a tee over my 4 Utility or my 3 Wood.  7 Wood is 225 carry, roll to 235-240, Ventus Stiff. 

3 Wood is a Stealth + at 16.5 degrees.  245 carry off the turf and 260 from a tee peg.  The thing is I have it set up to play a draw since my driver is a Triple Diamond that refuses to draw which I'm okay with. 

Anways, long story short, any benefit to the UW 19 degree (lefty and it's my only option) or would I probably just overlap with my Stealth+ and waste a spot in the bag?

22 minutes ago, timbo08 said:

Any one have any thoughts on a 19 degree with a 7 wood and a 3 wood?  

I think I am just having some UW FOMO BUT I just added a Callaway Rogue LS Max 7 wood at 21 degrees which is great off the tee but unless I am going for a very specific carry on a par 3, I'll never pull it on a tee over my 4 Utility or my 3 Wood.  7 Wood is 225 carry, roll to 235-240, Ventus Stiff. 

3 Wood is a Stealth + at 16.5 degrees.  245 carry off the turf and 260 from a tee peg.  The thing is I have it set up to play a draw since my driver is a Triple Diamond that refuses to draw which I'm okay with. 

Anways, long story short, any benefit to the UW 19 degree (lefty and it's my only option) or would I probably just overlap with my Stealth+ and waste a spot in the bag?

I think you would be wasting a spot.  I’m ditching my  19 because it goes almost as far as my 15 degree 3 wood. 

• Thanks 1

Callaway Paradym TD “S” 420cc 8.5 Project X Evenflow Riptide MX 60TX

Mizuno STZ Max 230 12.0 Project X Hzrdus Black RDX 70 6.5

Callaway OG Apex UW 21.0 MCA MMT 80X

Mizuno Pro 243 5-GW Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Mizuno T24 56/12S Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Arias Zero Offset 58 Nippon Modus Pro 120X

On Order: Cleveland RTX Full Face 2 58/8

Rife Phenom.Z 34”

The 19 has become one of my favorite clubs in the bag.  I've lately been thinking about dropping the 3 wood and going to a 17/21 combo.  3 wood almost never gets used off the ground and it's more or less a second tee club for me.  If I could get another 10 yards out of the 17 vs the 19, it would put me not far behind my 3  wood and give me a great option on par 5's.  

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

Amazing to see how many tour guys are bagging one. Feels like 2/3rds of the Callaway staffers are

Titleist TSR3 10* | Fujikura Ventus Black 6S

Titleist TSR2 15* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 7S

Callaway UW 19* | Graphite Design Tour AD MJ 8X

Titleist T350 4I | True Temper AMT Red S300

Titleist T200 5-GW | Project X IO 6.0 

Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore 54* Mid | Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Callaway RTX6 Zipcore Raw 60* Low | Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 | BGT Stability Carbon

Srixon Z Star Diamond

1 hour ago, minhjn said:

Amazing to see how many tour guys are bagging one. Feels like 2/3rds of the Callaway staffers are

I'm still torn on if it's actually that they want the UW or that Callaway has really not had a good 'players' 7 wood since the Mavrik Sub Zero TC/tour only model which they arent putting players into anymore since they've removed it from the tour truck. I'm sure its somewhere in the middle with a little of both cases.

I know it's touted that the Apex UW is giving the players 'really tight and repeatable spin and launch windows' but tbh that would be said about ANY new Callaway club when they try to talk about how good it is.

I've said this a few times but for a specialty club release the Apex UW has had huge adoption and it really does validate it as a great club.

Even non-staffers have it in the bag - Justin Rose has one in there and I believe a few other non-Cally guys as well. Keegan?

Edited by third-times-a-charm
  • Like 1

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / CHICAGOTC

Bit the bullet and got the 17, planning on using it as longest “FW” club in the bag for most courses. Still trying to figure out what the next club will be between that and my 4 iron.

(I may build a dedicated Frankenstein punch-out or stinger club, since I’m not sure anything else will give me the right gapping between the UW and my 4 iron, not that there wouldn’t be something in that distance gap, just that I may not have enough shots where it would be useful)

Edited by NNJ
  • Like 1

On 6/17/2022 at 3:21 AM, gentles said:

For the guys out there rocking a 17* as the longest fairway club, what do you have  next in the bag? 

4 iron 

Edited by Mookie91

TaylorMade M4 9.5 Project X HZRDUS Black 75 6.5
TaylorMade M2 2016 HL Project X HZRDUS Black 65 6.5
TaylorMade GAPR Lo 19 Project X HZRDUS Black 85 6.5
Bridgestone J15 DPF 4 Iron DGS300 Pro
Wilson C300 Forged 5-PW X100
Cleveland CBX 54 & 58 S400
Odyssey Works Tank Cruiser #7 38"

On 6/17/2022 at 9:21 AM, gentles said:

For the guys out there rocking a 17* as the longest fairway club, what do you have  next in the bag? 

20 deg 3 utility (Srixon zu85) as my 4 iron is at 24 degs.

Been flip flopping between the 17 and a Mavrik 3 wood, and have decided to commit to the 17 UW for the rest of the season.

• Like 2

Cobra Aerojet LS Driver Kai'li Blue S

Callaway Apex UW 3 MMT 80s

TaylorMade Gapr Mid 3 KBS S

Srizon ZX 4 iron - Recoil 95 F4

Cobra MIM Tour 5-PW - Recoil 95 F4

Cleveland 50 RTX 6 Zipcore, Callaway Jaws 56

Cleveland 60 CBX Zipcore

Odyssey WhiteHot OG Double Wide

1 hour ago, Volnut said:

Got a 17° on the way, thanks to this thread. Ugh, yall are costing me a fortune. 

I feel your pain - this forum has been costing me a fortune. Enjoy the 17 - it's a rocket!!

• Like 1

Cobra Aerojet LS Driver Kai'li Blue S

Callaway Apex UW 3 MMT 80s

TaylorMade Gapr Mid 3 KBS S

Srizon ZX 4 iron - Recoil 95 F4

Cobra MIM Tour 5-PW - Recoil 95 F4

Cleveland 50 RTX 6 Zipcore, Callaway Jaws 56

Cleveland 60 CBX Zipcore

Odyssey WhiteHot OG Double Wide

On 6/6/2022 at 2:26 PM, hitnfades said:

I use the 9g weight from Shaft Connect in my 17* since the shaft is butt trimmed down shorter than stock. The link is below. The original weight is 7g for the 17*. I have used this new weight for about a month with no issues on the course/range. I read somewhere to be careful with using a 11g or larger weight since it could encroach on the crown or etc. This was related to the 17* head so this could different for the 19* or 21*. I am not sure about that fully, but 9g was enough weight for me. 

https://shaftconnect.com/collections/club-head-weights/products/head-weight-compatible-with-callaway-epic-speed-driver-fairway

How has this worked out for you? Wanting to trim down my 19 by a half inch or so. 

4 minutes ago, DiamondDallasRage said:

How has this worked out for you? Wanting to trim down my 19 by a half inch or so. 

It has been great. Launch is a higher and gives me the carry/descent angle I was looking for. The guys I play with regularly noticed the flight difference as well. A real weapon for me from a lot of different scenarios. 

17* - Tour AD DI 7s arrived with stock tipping/playing length from Callaway. I think it was butt trimmed 1/2” or 1” inch. I did that about 7 months ago so I cannot remember exactly off the top of my head. Then, I added the 9 gram weight screw after reading some other posts on the site. 

Driver: Paradym Std 10.5*-Tour AD XC 6s

Apex UW’s: 17*-Tour AD IZ 8s, 19* & 21*-Tour AD UB 7x

UT Iron: Callaway X Forged UT 21*-Tour AD DI Hybrid 85x

Irons: Callaway Epic (2017)-UST Recoil ES 780 F4 (6-PW)

Wedges: Callaway Jaws MD5 48*S, Jaws MD4 52*S and Jaws Raw Full Toe 58/10

Putter: Toulon Garage Atlanta DB Stroke Lab 34"

Ball: Srixon Z-Star Diamond

Honorable Mention: Paradym Std 3HL (16.5*) - GD Tour AD IZ 7s

2 minutes ago, hitnfades said:

It has been great. Launch is a higher and gives me the carry/descent angle I was looking for. The guys I play with regularly noticed the flight difference as well. A real weapon for me from a lot of different scenarios. 

17* - Tour AD DI 7s arrived with stock tipping/playing length from Callaway. I think it was butt trimmed 1/2” or 1” inch. I did that about 7 months ago so I cannot remember exactly off the top of my head. Then, I added the 9 gram weight screw after reading some other posts on the site. 

That's awesome. Do you remember the stock weight on the 17?

Just now, DiamondDallasRage said:

That's awesome. Do you remember the stock weight on the 17?

7 grams per original post for my 17*. Should be a small number on the screw that is visible. I bought some others weights, but there was no need for me to keep tinkering. Based on some comments on the board I was concerned about the length of the 11 gram or heavier screw for my 17* head. I did not want to jeopardize the crown. I am not sure about this part, but I played it safe. 

Driver: Paradym Std 10.5*-Tour AD XC 6s

Apex UW’s: 17*-Tour AD IZ 8s, 19* & 21*-Tour AD UB 7x

UT Iron: Callaway X Forged UT 21*-Tour AD DI Hybrid 85x

Irons: Callaway Epic (2017)-UST Recoil ES 780 F4 (6-PW)

Wedges: Callaway Jaws MD5 48*S, Jaws MD4 52*S and Jaws Raw Full Toe 58/10

Putter: Toulon Garage Atlanta DB Stroke Lab 34"

Ball: Srixon Z-Star Diamond

Honorable Mention: Paradym Std 3HL (16.5*) - GD Tour AD IZ 7s

Made a change to my entire bag and went heavy on just about everything, need to find an 80g low torque shaft for my 3 wood and believe I will be set, possibly 105g shaft for the driving iron but I digress.  

I put an old Proforce AxivCore Tour Green 95X in my 21* UW and it feels much better than the stock 80g Hzrdus smoke black.  I think its more of a weight thing for me as I built my current set more heavy then years past.  I may even look at getting the 19* and do away with both the 3 wood and driving iron. 

754030641_UWwithAxivCore.jpg.db2ce21ce62439eb43b1ca5993693b5d.jpg

• Like 2

PXG 0311 7.5* (set to 6.75*) w/ Mitsubishi Diamana DF 70TX Tipped 0.75" @ 45.25"

TM Original One Mini Driver 13* (set at 11.5*) w/ Mitsubishi Diamana BF 80TX Tipped 1.5" @ 43"
Srixon U45 18* w/ N.S. Pro Modus3 GOST Tour X @ 39.5"
Callaway UW 21* w/ Aldila VS Proto 95X Tipped 1.75" @ 41" / Srixon U45 23* w/ Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour X @ 38.5"

Cobra KING Tour with MIM w/ PX LS 7.0 5-PW / Srixon Z745 5-PW w/ DG TI X7's (PW Tipped 1/4")
Mizuno T22 Denim Copper 50*, 55* & 60* w/ PX LS 7.0 Tipped 3/8" D2, D3 & D5

Putter: Evnroll ER2v

On 6/21/2022 at 5:10 PM, FirePro said:

Made a change to my entire bag and went heavy on just about everything, need to find an 80g low torque shaft for my 3 wood and believe I will be set, possibly 105g shaft for the driving iron but I digress.  

I put an old Proforce AxivCore Tour Green 95X in my 21* UW and it feels much better than the stock 80g Hzrdus smoke black.  I think its more of a weight thing for me as I built my current set more heavy then years past.  I may even look at getting the 19* and do away with both the 3 wood and driving iron. 

754030641_UWwithAxivCore.jpg.db2ce21ce62439eb43b1ca5993693b5d.jpg

The stock HZRDOUS was horrible for me.  I have had a love affair with the UST Mamiya black since it was introduced back in the early/mid 2000's.   I have one in the 2w/3w Mini, and I yanked this one out of my 7 wood and installed it in my 19* UW yesterday.

Hoping the shaft feel that I like brings it where I want it.  Hitting the range today and the course tomorrow.1102425232_IMG_1727Large.jpeg.2fcdef9782dd57aff75434173db401eb.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - PW Ping BluePrint S - Shaft testing
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

On 6/17/2022 at 8:21 AM, gentles said:

I have my Mizuno JPX921 HMP 4 iron (19°) and my Callaway Big Bertha 7 Wood (2004).

I've decided to drop my 3 wood as my numbers are so similar and it's much easier to have control with the UW:

Screenshot_20220624_231350.jpg.b8c19ebf5525cb06dac4b74c97c5a210.jpg

13 minutes ago, Glock917 said:

Chop it up to the UW nation with Xander using the 21* UW for the win. Pretty sure I saw him use it on the short par 4 15th hole and mildly hit it 275 on the green lol. Of course he put a tour only MCA kai’li white 90 TX on it 😳 

I didn't see coverage today, but I've played the hole several times now. 

If true, that's a BIG hit with a 21.0°. 

Edited by EaglesGolf99
Spelling.

13 minutes ago, EaglesGolf99 said:

I didn't see coverage today, but I've played the hole several times now. 

If true, that's a BIG hit with a 21.0°. 

Yeah I’m sure it was. His other wood is a speed 💎 💎 💎 and it def wasn’t that. But I think the hole was playing downwind or downhill with firm fairways cause S. Theegala hit like a 2 iron of sorts and hit it 277 on the green

1 hour ago, Glock917 said:

Yeah I’m sure it was. His other wood is a speed 💎💎💎 and it def wasn’t that. But I think the hole was playing downwind or downhill with firm fairways cause S. Theegala hit like a 2 iron of sorts and hit it 277 on the green

It plays right on 280 from the last pace on the tips. 

The tee shot is down hill, the green sits perched up a bit from the fairway and is protected by a steep(ish) slope up to the green's front edge. And obviously, the water left of the green. 

Everytime I've played the hole, it was either into the wind, or, a cross wind from right to left.

The last few times I've played it, my 'mini driver' of sorts (12.0° at 44") was the club. I don't carry that any longer, due to the arrival of the UW line. Eager to try a 17° UW there and see if I could get it up there. 

Does anyone know how much callaway is tipping the shafts that are installed in these? I’m thinking of ordering a 21 with an AD IZ 8X. Graphite design says to tip 1” for a 7 wood so I wonder is Callaway following that recommendation?

Ai Smoke 💎💎💎 9* Ventus TR Red 6X

BRNR Mini 13.5* Diamana ZF 70X

Paradym 💎💎💎T 18* Ventus Red 8X

2023 T100 4-PW C-taper 125S+

SM10 Jet Black 52F, 56S, 60M DG Tour Issue S400

Odyssey Versa #7

Pro V1X

13 minutes ago, Lloyd_Christmas29 said:

Does anyone know how much callaway is tipping the shafts that are installed in these? I’m thinking of ordering a 21 with an AD IZ 8X. Graphite design says to tip 1” for a 7 wood so I wonder is Callaway following that recommendation?

There are quite a bit of ranges from 1.5 to 2 inches, but from my contacts rep, he told me its 1.75 inches for 17 and 19 degree and 2 inches for the 21 degree.

• Like 1

Ping G430 LST 10.5* - Ventus Blue VeloCore+ 6X

Taylormade BRNR Mini Copper 13.5* - Tour AD TSG Silver 65X

Ping G430 Max 19.5* - Tour AD TSG Silver 75X

Ping G425 Max 23.5* - Attas T2 8X

Taylormade 790Ti 6 - Dart V 105X

Srixon ZX7 6-9 - X100

Titleist SM9 46F & 50F - X100

Titleist SM9 55S & 60T - X7 "Spinners"

L.A.B. Link.1 - TPT - XL Tour 2.0 

Srixon Z-Star 💎

1 hour ago, Lloyd_Christmas29 said:

They are not. They are doing 1.5”+ 

• Thanks 1

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / CHICAGOTC