Callaway UW

copegolfer

14 minutes ago, EaglesGolf99 said:

I can't speak to the 21.0°. I've only looked at it, and waggled it, but haven't remotely come close to hitting yet. 

Ventus Velocore Red 9x. And Ventus Velocore Red 8x.

I’ve had success with the RDX 70 as a fairway shaft before but went up 10 grams to the 80 for my order that I put in.  It’s a shorter club vs standard 5 wood and I want that extra stability given my late release swing.  

Edited by Lemonde

Callaway Paradym TD “S” 420cc 8.5 Project X Evenflow Riptide MX 60TX

Mizuno STZ Max 230 12.0 Project X Hzrdus Black RDX 70 6.5

Callaway OG Apex UW 21.0 MCA MMT 80X

Mizuno Pro 243 5-GW Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Mizuno T24 56/12S Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Cleveland RTX Full Face 2 58/8 DG Spinner

Rife Phenom.Z 34”

I recently purchased the 17 degree with the stock RDX black shaft. My experience so far has been pretty shocking. I bought it in hopes to replace my 3/4 wood and it has done that and more. According to my Skytrak I was hitting this about 5-10 yards further on average. I was able to get a couple out to nearly 270 yards which is ludicrous for me as I struggle with clean strikes on fwy woods. However it does require good strikes, I never hook the ball but was getting some low spin hooks while out on the range. Clean strikes flew mid/high and just flew for miles. The real test will come out on the course but so far it has definitely exceeded my expectations and for once I truly consider a club as a potential game changer. 

Edited by toolman
  • Like 1

Mavrik Sub Zero 8* AD DI 6X

Taylormade Sim2 Ti 13.5*

Callaway Apex UW 17* AD DI 7X

Callaway Apex UT 2 iron  Smoke Black

Sub 70 TC raw 4-pw  KBS 120 Black
Taylormade Hi-Toe 52 and 58

Odyssey 7s Stroke Lab

7 hours ago, Howie said:

I've seen reference to 7g being the stock weight in the UW head- is this correct or does it vary by loft?

7 hours ago, EaglesGolf99 said:

17° was 7g. Correct. 

And I do believe the 19° was 7g as well. 

The 21° I can't speak to. 

1 hour ago, Glock917 said:

I have a 21 with the stock smoke 80g xstiff shaft and standard length and it has a 7g weight on it as well. 

I would be fairly comfortable saying, at stock length, the adjustable weight is stock 7g. Applies to 17°, 19°, and 21°. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, toolman said:

I recently purchased the 17 degree with the stock RDX black shaft. My experience so far has been pretty shocking. I bought it in hopes to replace my 3/4 wood and it has done that and more. According to my Skytrak I was hitting this about 5-10 yards further on average. I was able to get a couple out to nearly 270 yards which is ludicrous for me as I struggle with clean strikes on fwy woods. However it does require good strikes, I never hook the ball but was getting some low spin hooks while out on the range. Clean strikes flew mid/high and just flew for miles. The real test will come out on the course but so far it has definitely exceeded my expectations and for once I truly consider a club as a potential game changer. 

I had the same issue with mine initially, low spinning pull hooks on occasion. I cut it down half an inch from standard, added weight to the head and it’s made it much more anti-left. 

• Like 1

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5° | Ventus TR Blue 6s

Taylormade BRNR Mini 13.5° | Hzrdus Yellow 75 6.5

Callaway Apex UW 17° | Hzrdus Smoke Yellow 75 6.5

Callaway XR Pro 20° | Tour AD DI 95x
Maltby TS1 IM 5-PW | Dynamic Gold S300
Cleveland RTX 6: 50° 56° 60° | KBS Tour Custom 120s Black 

L.A.B. DF 3 Counterbalance 37.5" | TPT Putter Shaft 

On 4/15/2022 at 12:30 PM, Lemonde said:

I’ve had success with the RDX 70 as a fairway shaft before but went up 10 grams to the 80 for my order that I put in.  It’s a shorter club vs standard 5 wood and I want that extra stability given my late release swing.  

I finally completed my order yesterday with a 21* in the AV White in 75 XS. That shaft is 79 grams vs the RDX 80 which is bang on 80 grams so weight wise they should be darn near.

I'll report back once she's seen some use. Callaway did say it'd be minimum 2 weeks and I'm in Canada so who knows when delivery will be but I'm excited to be joining the UW family.

Thx all!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, M1KL83 said:

I finally completed my order yesterday with a 21* in the AV White in 75 XS. That shaft is 79 grams vs the RDX 80 which is bang on 80 grams so weight wise they should be darn near.

I'll report back once she's seen some use. Callaway did say it'd be minimum 2 weeks and I'm in Canada so who knows when delivery will be but I'm excited to be joining the UW family.

Thx all!

FYI I just ordered a 21 bent to 22 with the exact same shaft. My rep showed me it is backordered until may 4th.

Nevermind sorry I ordered the 85 gram!!

Edited by tilasan

Ping G430 LST 10.5* - Fuji Ventus Blue VeloCore+ 6X

Taylormade BRNR Mini Copper 13.5* - Fuji Ventus Blue VeloCore+ 7X

Callaway Apex UW 19* - UST Attas T2 8X

Ping G425 Max 23.5* - UST Attas T2 8X

Taylormade 790Ti 6 - UST Dart V 105X

Srixon ZX7 6-9 - DG X100

Titleist SM9 46F & 50F - DG X100

Titleist SM9 55S & 60T - DG X7 "Spinners"

L.A.B. Link.1 - TPT - SS XL Tour 2.0 / L.A.B. DF3 - TPT - Press II 3* Smooth

Srixon Z-Star 💎

11 hours ago, coreyhr said:

I had the same issue with mine initially, low spinning pull hooks on occasion. I cut it down half an inch from standard, added weight to the head and it’s made it much more anti-left. 

Last night I added a 10g weight and choked down half an inch, much more consistent results!

• Like 3

Taylormade Sim2 Ti 13.5*

Odyssey 7s Stroke Lab

Went ahead and ordered the 21* to go with my 17*. Not having much luck trying to find a 3 hybrid I'm comfortable with. Hard to find any XR Pro 3h's (my favorite hybrid) that aren't all beat up. Going to put a Tour AD DI 8s that I have sitting around in this 21*. Hope it sits as nice and square/slightly open as the 17* does. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, mumuland said:

Has anyone recently confirmed the standard tipping for the UWs? I saw posts where 1.5” - 2” inches where mentioned as standards from Callaway. Looking for specs on the 21*.  Thanks. 

1.5 is standard from Callaway but you can do anything you want really. Anything from .5-1.5 could work depending on the shaft.

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB7 / AI SMOKE 21° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SC PHNTM7.5

1 hour ago, coreyhr said:

Went ahead and ordered the 21* to go with my 17*. Not having much luck trying to find a 3 hybrid I'm comfortable with. Hard to find any XR Pro 3h's (my favorite hybrid) that aren't all beat up. Going to put a Tour AD DI 8s that I have sitting around in this 21*. Hope it sits as nice and square/slightly open as the 17* does. 

I've been debating doing the same thing and getting the 85s AV White option to go with my 17*.  I have a 19* Adams XTD Super Hybrid XTD that can't get kicked out of the bag, but I really like the way the UW sets up.  

• Like 2

WITB
Driver: 10.5* Stealth 2 Plus set 1 click lower upright setting- Accra FX 2.0 270 M4 

Fairways & Hybrids: TM Stealth2 Plus 5 wood turned down to 17* (AV Raw White 75s); 21* Callaway UW (Tour AD TP 8s); 
Irons: Srixon MKII ZX5 4 Iron (Recoil Utility 110 F4), 5-PW Srixon ZX7 (DG AMT White s300)
Wedges: Tour Satin Cleveland RTX6 48* Mid bent to 49* and 52* bent to 54*;  RTX Zipcore Tour Rack Raw 56* Mid bent to 58* (All wedges with DGTI s400 shafts)

Putter: Toulon Las Vegas h4.5 or Kingston KP1 Carbon Oil Can (both with Stability Tour Black shafts)

12 minutes ago, jah7838 said:

I've been debating doing the same thing and getting the 85s AV White option to go with my 17*.  I have a 19* Adams XTD Super Hybrid XTD that can't get kicked out of the bag, but I really like the way the UW sets up.  

This is so funny.  I have been gaming a 15 & 19 deg Adams Super Hybrid (grey head) since 2012.  Weather is just starting to break here in Ohio hopefully the 17 & 21 deg UW with Trono X shafts can beat them.  Excited to find out.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dpodboy said:

This is so funny.  I have been gaming a 15 & 19 deg Adams Super Hybrid (grey head) since 2012.  Weather is just starting to break here in Ohio hopefully the 17 & 21 deg UW with Trono X shafts can beat them.  Excited to find out.

I used to have the 15* as my "3 wood" for a long time, and I stupidly got rid of it around 2015 in search of a longer 3 wood and eventually regretted it.  I went back to one recently, and it just wasn't the same.  I'm liking the 17* UW so far, and I'm finally learning to just keep using what works, so hopefully it's going to stay for a while.    

• Like 1

WITB
Driver: 10.5* Stealth 2 Plus set 1 click lower upright setting- Accra FX 2.0 270 M4 

Fairways & Hybrids: TM Stealth2 Plus 5 wood turned down to 17* (AV Raw White 75s); 21* Callaway UW (Tour AD TP 8s); 
Irons: Srixon MKII ZX5 4 Iron (Recoil Utility 110 F4), 5-PW Srixon ZX7 (DG AMT White s300)
Wedges: Tour Satin Cleveland RTX6 48* Mid bent to 49* and 52* bent to 54*;  RTX Zipcore Tour Rack Raw 56* Mid bent to 58* (All wedges with DGTI s400 shafts)

Putter: Toulon Las Vegas h4.5 or Kingston KP1 Carbon Oil Can (both with Stability Tour Black shafts)

14 hours ago, coreyhr said:

Funny you mention XR Pro hybrid.  I've had mine since it was new and as much as I have tried to replace it I couldn't.  I thought I was the only one who loved that club.  Well, the 21* UW has taken it's spot.  It's more forgiving and goes higher if I need it to.  Distance is comparable, with the UW being a touch longer if I kill it.  I'm confident you will like it as much as your 17*

• Like 2

Titleist TSr 3 10°, Ventus Blue 6s
Titleist TSr 2 16.5°, Ventus Blue 7s

Ping G430 3, 4, 5 hybrid, Alta CB Black 70s

PXG 0317T 6-GW Mitsubishi MMT 80s
Vokey SM10 54° D, 60° D, Mitsubishi MMT 80s

L.A.B. Mezz.1 Max 35”, Accra

1 hour ago, jas904 said:

Funny you mention XR Pro hybrid.  I've had mine since it was new and as much as I have tried to replace it I couldn't.  I thought I was the only one who loved that club.  Well, the 21* UW has taken it's spot.  It's more forgiving and goes higher if I need it to.  Distance is comparable, with the UW being a touch longer if I kill it.  I'm confident you will like it as much as your 17*

I’ve slowly accumulated tour issue versions of the 16°, 18° and 23° over the past few years. Love everything about them, they absolutely refuse to go left on me. But your experience with the UW is exactly what I’ve experienced as well. More pop and easier to flight higher if I need to. The 21° will come in really handy on short Par 4’s off the tee and coming in to Par 5’s. 

Finally got my Apex 17 on the course today. Mine is cut 1/2 an inch with a 10 gram weight in the head. My home course is super tight, tree and house lined and is easily the most difficult driving course in the area. I only hit my driver 3 times and the other times I used the apex. All together I hit 77% fairways and never missed one with the apex. Distances were between 240 and 250 easily. The most impressive hole however was a long par 5, super narrow fairway and I hit the UW off the tee and left myself 231 in, dogleg to the right with trees blocking the approach angle. I hit the UW a little thin but it carved around the tree landed on the green to about 15 feet for eagle…shocked it held the green but it did. This club is an absolute game changer. Bye bye fairway woods!

• Like 4

Taylormade Sim2 Ti 13.5*

Odyssey 7s Stroke Lab

2 hours ago, toolman said:

Finally got my Apex 17 on the course today. Mine is cut 1/2 an inch with a 10 gram weight in the head. My home course is super tight, tree and house lined and is easily the most difficult driving course in the area. I only hit my driver 3 times and the other times I used the apex. All together I hit 77% fairways and never missed one with the apex. Distances were between 240 and 250 easily. The most impressive hole however was a long par 5, super narrow fairway and I hit the UW off the tee and left myself 231 in, dogleg to the right with trees blocking the approach angle. I hit the UW a little thin but it carved around the tree landed on the green to about 15 feet for eagle…shocked it held the green but it did. This club is an absolute game changer. Bye bye fairway woods!

I’ve had my 19* out a few times now and I agree with your post.  It’s consistent and long off the tee and deck.  I hit it about 5 yds shorter than my 15.75* fairway wood.  I played in my league last night and didn’t hit fairway wood once and I usually hit it 3/4 times on the front 9.  I’m debating dropping the fairway wood and just use the UW and a hybrid.  

Being a lefty The only option is the 19*.  If had the choice I would go with UW 17* and 21*.

2 hours ago, lefty74pgh said:

I’ve had my 19* out a few times now and I agree with your post.  It’s consistent and long off the tee and deck.  I hit it about 5 yds shorter than my 15.75* fairway wood.  I played in my league last night and didn’t hit fairway wood once and I usually hit it 3/4 times on the front 9.  I’m debating dropping the fairway wood and just use the UW and a hybrid.  

Being a lefty The only option is the 19*.  If had the choice I would go with UW 17* and 21*.

I'm in your boat too.  Would defintely game the 17* and 21* if I was a righty.  I've taken out my 3 wood.  Lose about 10 yards off the tee with 19* UW, but goes pretty much the same distance off the turf.

• Like 1

I have Callaway rogue st LS 15* that I think is getting the boot. 

17* sounds like a great option

• Like 2

Callaway triple Diamond paradym 9*- hulk 60tx 

Callaway paradym triple diamond - hulk 70tx 

Titleist TSi3 20* hybrid Matrix Black Tie 90x 
Srixon zx7mkii 456 / ZForgedii 789P- MMT 125tx 
Cleveland RTX6 50/54/ S400 TI Onyx 
Vokey Wedgeworks 60* V-grind 
LAB DF3 

• 2 weeks later...

Been playing the 17* with great results for a month or so, even with the stock HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX (S). So much so, it's kicked my Rogue 3w out of the bag. Ran into a few problems this weekend when the temps went from the 50s to 70s. With warmer temps came more distance and I was hitting through areas where I was planning/playing to lay up. The cooler temps had me thinking "OK, this is the club for the distance". Nope, smoked right through the layup area and into hazards (+25ish yds).  

On the way home from the course yesterday, picked up a 21* sibling to keep it company for a little higher launch and shorter distance.

These clubs just produce bullets through the air for me. 

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

On 4/22/2022 at 4:27 PM, Kale_m said:

I have Callaway rogue st LS 15* that I think is getting the boot. 

17* sounds like a great option

Why is it getting the boot? Just wondering. Hope to hit it again in my fitting this Saturday. 

TM Stealth2+ 10.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

I had a 21* that I couldn’t quite get to fit my gaps. Now I have a 19* with an AD IZ 8 and it’s pretty incredible. It launches a hair lower than what I want but it is a beast. 

10.5* G430 Max Diamana BF 60

15* G430 Max Tour Shaft

21* Apex UW Diamana Ilima 80
22* (bent 23*) X Forged UT KBS Proto

Apex MB 5-PW $-Taper 

Vokey SM9 Raw 50F, 56F, 60T

Toulon La Grange SB w/ KBS CT Tour

Jones Players Series 003

Just a word of advice for anyone who test one of these but isn't a fan. If you have the ability or budget to swap out the shaft with one you're comfortable with, do so before writing the UW off. In my opinion (and YMMV of course), the stock Hzrdus RDX Black shaft is terrible. Impact with that shaft feels overly harsh and firm. I recently bought the 21* with the stock RDX Black 80 and gave it a couple of rounds. The results were terrible, poorly elevated shots with constant low face contact. I installed a Tour AD DI 8s and cut it 1/2" short of standard, added some hotmelt to get the swing weight around D3+ and it was night and day. Now it's center contact and high launching, low-mid spinning balls that seem to carry forever. Fits the bag perfectly between my 17* UW and my 23* traditional hybrid. I had the same results with the 17* and the stock shaft. Some will obviously love the Hzrdus Black, but in my opinion this was a poor stock shaft choice by Callaway. This head from my experience likes a shaft that plays a little softer in the tip and wants to help get the launch up a bit. Just my personal experience only of course, but experiment with the shaft at least once if you're able to. 

• Like 2

I’m planning to get the 21 loft. Can’t hit any wood to save my par so hopefully this one will help.

I’m unable to try before buy so have to go in blind.

Anyone can recommend which shaft for my swing? 85mph driver and my drive will go for around 220 yards. Handicap around 20.

I just need something easy to hit to attack long par 5.

Thanks in advance.

37 minutes ago, metallica86 said:

I’m planning to get the 21 loft. Can’t hit any wood to save my par so hopefully this one will help.

I’m unable to try before buy so have to go in blind.

Anyone can recommend which shaft for my swing? 85mph driver and my drive will go for around 220 yards. Handicap around 20.

I just need something easy to hit to attack long par 5.

Thanks in advance.

The 'rack' shaft is a HZRDUS RDX Black which will not be good for your swing. I would do a custom order with an MMT 70 R flex or a Tensei Blue 70 R flex

• Thanks 1

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB7 / AI SMOKE 21° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SC PHNTM7.5

3 hours ago, OspreyCI said:

Why is it getting the boot? Just wondering. Hope to hit it again in my fitting this Saturday. 

Momentarily had a lapse in judgement .. it is not going anywhere 

• Haha 2

Callaway triple Diamond paradym 9*- hulk 60tx 

Callaway paradym triple diamond - hulk 70tx 

Titleist TSi3 20* hybrid Matrix Black Tie 90x 
Srixon zx7mkii 456 / ZForgedii 789P- MMT 125tx 
Cleveland RTX6 50/54/ S400 TI Onyx 
Vokey Wedgeworks 60* V-grind 
LAB DF3