2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Callaway UW

copegolfer

I ordered the 17* with the 80 gram RDX and that was a mistake. As many have stressed in this thread, this thing is very low spinning. I'm one of those players who never have and apparently never will get along with fairway woods. I love hybrids though and bought this as a fairway wood replacement. I have a 16* XR Pro hybrid that I like very much, but I was looking for just a little more pop and boy does the UW provide just that. I'm going to try a Tour AD TP 7 that I have laying around and see if I can get launch and spin up a touch. I think there's just a little bit of learning curve with this thing and how you approach it, in terms of angle of attack. I'm still figuring that part out, but I really feel like this thing will stay in the bag. It looks so good behind the ball and inspires way more confidence for me than a 3 wood. Not to mention it's really long, I'm kind of shocked how good it is when hit properly. 

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5° | Ventus TR Blue 6s

Taylormade BRNR Mini 13.5° | Hzrdus Yellow 75 6.5

Callaway Apex UW 19° | Hzrdus Smoke Yellow 75 6.5

Callaway XR Pro 23° | Tour AD DI 95x
Maltby TS1 IM/TS4 5-PW | Dynamic Gold S300
Cleveland RTX 6: 50° 56° 60° | KBS Tour Custom 120s Black 

L.A.B. DF 3 Counterbalance 37.5" | TPT Putter Shaft 

Went from a 17* to a 19*. The 17* was just too long for my gapping. The 19* is just about right but wish I could have it bent to 18*. Put a Ventus Black in mine tipped 1.75" to bring the flight down a bit and it has helped. I've only played one round with it so I have some more experimenting to do. Playing tomorrow and it will be my longest club as the driver and 3 wood are getting Ventus TR upgrades.

Edited by awtryau89

17 hours ago, coreyhr said:

I ordered the 17* with the 80 gram RDX and that was a mistake. As many have stressed in this thread, this thing is very low spinning. I'm one of those players who never have and apparently never will get along with fairway woods. I love hybrids though and bought this as a fairway wood replacement. I have a 16* XR Pro hybrid that I like very much, but I was looking for just a little more pop and boy does the UW provide just that. I'm going to try a Tour AD TP 7 that I have laying around and see if I can get launch and spin up a touch. I think there's just a little bit of learning curve with this thing and how you approach it, in terms of angle of attack. I'm still figuring that part out, but I really feel like this thing will stay in the bag. It looks so good behind the ball and inspires way more confidence for me than a 3 wood. Not to mention it's really long, I'm kind of shocked how good it is when hit properly. 

I put an AD TP 7 in mine as well. Playing it a little over length with the 70g shaft (would go 80g if it was shorter).

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / CHICAGOTC

I wonder how the Aldila Rogue white 130 MSI 80g x would perform in the UW compared to the stock shaft it came with?

Callaway Epic Speed 9° Driver
Callaway Epic Speed 4W - Smoke IM10

Callaway Apex UW (21°)

Mizuno Pro 225 (4i); 223 (5-9i); 221 (PW)
Jaws MD 5 50°, Full Toe 54°, 58° PM Grind
Toulon Odyssey Chicago

I'm thinking about ordering the 19 with the Tensei White 75g instead of the stock...

Callaway AI Smoke Max 9* | Ventus Blue TR 6X

Callaway AI Smoke Max 15* | Ventus Blue TR 7X

Callaway Apex UW 21* | Ventus Blue 8X

Titleist U505 4iron | Project X Hzrdus Black 80 HY 6.0

Callaway Rogue ST Pro 5-PW | KBS C-Taper 125 S+

Callaway Jaws Raw 50, 55 | KBS 610 125 S+

Callaway Jaws Raw 60 | KBS High Rev 2.0 Black 125 S

Odyssey AI-One Jailbird Cruiser | Odyssey 2-Ball Armlock 

Callaway Chrome Tour X

I have the 22 AV blue 75x and it weighs 79 grams.  It is a great stock shaft option.

Ping G430 LST 10.5* - Ventus Blue VeloCore+ 6X

Ping G430 Max 15* - Tour AD TSG Blue 75X

Ping G430 Max 21* - Tour AD TSG Silver 75X

Ping G425 Max 23.5* - Attas T2 8X

Taylormade 790Ti 6 - Dart V 105X

Srixon ZX7 6-9 - Modus 115X

Titleist SM9 46F - Modus 125X

Titleist SM9 50F, 55S & 60T - X7 "Spinners"

L.A.B. Link.1 - TPT - XL Tour 2.0 

Srixon Z-Star 💎

What is the launch like? I was sticking with the low/low but maybe the head already does enough of that... I tend to create too much spin.

Callaway AI Smoke Max 9* | Ventus Blue TR 6X

Callaway AI Smoke Max 15* | Ventus Blue TR 7X

Callaway Apex UW 21* | Ventus Blue 8X

Titleist U505 4iron | Project X Hzrdus Black 80 HY 6.0

Callaway Rogue ST Pro 5-PW | KBS C-Taper 125 S+

Callaway Jaws Raw 50, 55 | KBS 610 125 S+

Callaway Jaws Raw 60 | KBS High Rev 2.0 Black 125 S

Odyssey AI-One Jailbird Cruiser | Odyssey 2-Ball Armlock 

Callaway Chrome Tour X

Picked up the 22 in the stock smoke RDX shaft several weeks back. Wasn't immediately smitten and put it up for sale, thankfully no takers. Gave it a second shot, on course this time, and happy enough with the on course results thus far, might need to swap out the shaft for something a tad more stable; the stiff feels a tad more loose than the low/low designation it has IMO. It replaced a 2019 Apex 19* hybrid, distance is about the same but with more height and control into greens. I'll still hang onto the Apex for narrow courses that need a driving iron style club, but the UW is a nice option for those who like a second fairway style club behind a 4w and don't love traditional hybrids.

4 hours ago, awtryau89 said:

Went from a 17* to a 19*. The 17* was just too long for my gapping. The 19* is just about right but wish I could have it bent to 18*. Put a Ventus Black in mine tipped 1.75" to bring the flight down a bit and it has helped. I've only played one round with it so I have some more experimenting to do. Playing tomorrow and it will be my longest club as the driver and 3 wood are getting Ventus TR upgrades.

What's your yardage with your 3 wood and how do the 17* and 19* UW compare to it?  I'm hoping the UW can completely get rid of the fairway woods in my bag.

9 minutes ago, ernotte said:

What's your yardage with your 3 wood and how do the 17* and 19* UW compare to it?  I'm hoping the UW can completely get rid of the fairway woods in my bag.

I use my tee yardages because I am fairly inconsistent off the turf. The 17* was a 235 club for me and my 3 wood averages 240. The 19* is about 220 but that’s only after 1 round so I have more evaluating to do.  

8 minutes ago, awtryau89 said:

I use my tee yardages because I am fairly inconsistent off the turf. The 17* was a 235 club for me and my 3 wood averages 240. The 19* is about 220 but that’s only after 1 round so I have more evaluating to do.  

Thanks for the reply.  Agreed on the turf, which is why I want to get rid of the fairway wood.  As a leftie, I only have the 19* option and just received it yesterday, but we're headed out of town this weekend.  If I have similar results to you, the 19* will get me close to my 15* 3 wood, but I may look at bending the UW a degree or two.  

4 hours ago, gg38 said:

What is the launch like? I was sticking with the low/low but maybe the head already does enough of that... I tend to create too much spin.

Low launching, low spin, lots of rollout.  I have the 19.  I use it off the tee and second shots on par 5s.

PING Rapture ^10 driver

Callaway UW 19^

PING Anser Forged Irons 3-pw
PING Forged wedges
Wilson 8802 Putter

5 hours ago, third-times-a-charm said:

I put an AD TP 7 in mine as well. Playing it a little over length with the 70g shaft (would go 80g if it was shorter).

I built it at standard 41.5" last night with the AD TP 7s and it came out to a D2 SW. Tipped it 1" per Graphite Design 5 wood tipping instructions to compensate for the 230 gram head weight. It was just a bit too heavy for me with the RDX 80x at standard length (D5+). I'm going to get it on my launch monitor tonight, hopefully I'll finally be able to permanently move on from fairway woods.

2 minutes ago, coreyhr said:

I built it at standard 41.5" last night with the AD TP 7s and it came out to a D2 SW. Tipped it 1" per Graphite Design 5 wood tipping instructions to compensate for the 230 gram head weight. It was just a bit too heavy for me with the RDX 80x at standard length (D5+). I'm going to get it on my launch monitor tonight, hopefully I'll finally be able to permanently move on from fairway woods.

Mine is tipped 1.25" (Callaway tips all UW shafts 1.5"). IMO 1-1.25" tipping should be sufficient for these but I guess Callaway wants to keep the spin/launch down to meet their marketing claims.

I may butt-cut mine the additional .25" I left on it over spec (I'm playing the 21 so its 41" stock).

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / CHICAGOTC

17 minutes ago, third-times-a-charm said:

Mine is tipped 1.25" (Callaway tips all UW shafts 1.5"). IMO 1-1.25" tipping should be sufficient for these but I guess Callaway wants to keep the spin/launch down to meet their marketing claims.

I may butt-cut mine the additional .25" I left on it over spec (I'm playing the 21 so its 41" stock).

Interesting, didn't know that. Thanks. May explain why I had a little trouble with the stock 80x. I like for my hybrids to feel like I'm swinging rebar (even though I'm not a big hitter). Just like for those to feel like long iron shafts, but easier to hit. But was looking for something a little more lively in this since it's a 3 wood replacement for me.

6 hours ago, coreyhr said:

Interesting, didn't know that. Thanks. May explain why I had a little trouble with the stock 80x. I like for my hybrids to feel like I'm swinging rebar (even though I'm not a big hitter). Just like for those to feel like long iron shafts, but easier to hit. But was looking for something a little more lively in this since it's a 3 wood replacement for me.

Yeah if I were looking to replace my 3W and wanted it more lively feeling I’d get something different than the stock. Like the Ventus Red most of the tour guys are using with it as an example. 

Callaway Epic Speed 9° Driver
Callaway Epic Speed 4W - Smoke IM10

Callaway Apex UW (21°)

Mizuno Pro 225 (4i); 223 (5-9i); 221 (PW)
Jaws MD 5 50°, Full Toe 54°, 58° PM Grind
Toulon Odyssey Chicago

11 hours ago, cmatthews77 said:

Yeah if I were looking to replace my 3W and wanted it more lively feeling I’d get something different than the stock. Like the Ventus Red most of the tour guys are using with it as an example. 

The photos that Wunder has been posting on his Callaway blog - lots of guys using Tour AD shafts like the UB and IZ as well. No one is using low/lows on tour oddly enough.

I've hit my 17 & 21 extensively on my simulator, and some limited outdoor play, both RDX 80 stiffs.  Shaft performs great in the 21, but I think I need a little more launch/spin with the 17.  It's a monster off the tee, but certainly not going to be bringing it in high and soft in par 5's.  

Edited by NicholasP

Cobra LTDX LS, Ventus TR S, Tipped 1" at 44.5, 9 @ 8

Ping G425 Max, Ventus TR 7, Tipped 1" at 42.5, 14.5 @ 13.5

Callaway Apex UW w/RDX Smoke Black 80S, 17 & 21

Bridgestone J38cb w/Nippon Modus 130S SS1x, 5-PW

Callaway Mack Daddy 4 S Grind w/Nippon SPB 130x SS2x, 52

Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind w/Nippon SPB 130x SS2x, 56 & 60

Odyssey White Hot OG 7CH

Second range session with the 21 UW and AD TP today. Fantastic flight and distance, now. Definitely staying in the bag.

Edited by third-times-a-charm
  • Like 1

On 3/10/2022 at 8:57 AM, awtryau89 said:

The 19* seems to be the sweet spot for me. Enough spin to be very accurate. Used it today as my longest club from our white tees at 6200 yards. Didn’t miss a fairway and never had more than 8 iron in to any par 4. An easy straight 225 whereas my 19* hybrid can be stretched that far but not nearly as straight or reliable. 

On 3/10/2022 at 9:50 AM, cmatthews77 said:

I wonder how the Aldila Rogue white 130 MSI 80g x would perform in the UW compared to the stock shaft it came with?

This is what’s in my 21. It is my 7 wood. Like a typical 7 wood but with a little more controlled flight and workability. So easy to hit a nice high fade that hops and stops. 

7 hours ago, cflo2382 said:

Has anyone tried these with the Stock Mitsubishi MMT shafts? I'm looking at ordering the 19 or 21 with the MMT 80g. Wish they offered some more stock 80-90g shafts. The only other one that I see is the Smoke RDX 80g and Aldila Rogue White 80g.

22 av blue 75 in x flex actually weighs 79 grams.

• Like 1

Ping G430 LST 10.5* - Ventus Blue VeloCore+ 6X

Ping G430 Max 15* - Tour AD TSG Blue 75X

Ping G430 Max 21* - Tour AD TSG Silver 75X

Ping G425 Max 23.5* - Attas T2 8X

Taylormade 790Ti 6 - Dart V 105X

Srixon ZX7 6-9 - Modus 115X

Titleist SM9 46F - Modus 125X

Titleist SM9 50F, 55S & 60T - X7 "Spinners"

L.A.B. Link.1 - TPT - XL Tour 2.0 

Srixon Z-Star 💎

7 hours ago, cflo2382 said:

Has anyone tried these with the Stock Mitsubishi MMT shafts? I'm looking at ordering the 19 or 21 with the MMT 80g. Wish they offered some more stock 80-90g shafts. The only other one that I see is the Smoke RDX 80g and Aldila Rogue White 80g.

Yep, I've always favored Mitsubishi and I'm not spending hundreds of dollars on a shaft upgrade when I can get the same numbers for free. I have the 80g MMT in my 21*. I'm a fairly low ball/low spin player and the MMT is what I play in my FW and now the UW. Gets the ball up in the air with a little more spin IMO. I've only had one range session or I'd go into more detail but so far I love what I see.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Shaffer_C said:

Yep, I've always favored Mitsubishi and I'm not spending hundreds of dollars on a shaft upgrade when I can get the same numbers for free. I have the 80g MMT in my 21*. I'm a fairly low ball/low spin player and the MMT is what I play in my FW and now the UW. Gets the ball up in the air with a little more spin IMO. I've only had one range session or I'd go into more detail but so far I love what I see.

This is good info, thanks! I also fall pretty much into that same low ball/low spin area. I'm leaning the 80g MMT in x-stiff but going to call Cally tomorrow to see if the Rogue White 80g is available it x-stiff. It was only showing on their website as available in stiff but I am seeing it as an x-stiff option at other retailers. Just don't want to deal with the dreaded 10-12 week/month wait because of a stock/no upgrade shaft shortage.

Edited by cflo2382

Finally was able to get my 17* outdoors yesterday with the change to the AD TP 7s from the stock RDX Black 80x and I couldn't be happier with it. My home course is 6,700 yards with the front nine having 3-4 holes that just require a 230 - 240 yard shot off the tee that needs to be very accurate. This club will be perfect for that, it's an absolute weapon off the tee. Perfect mid ball flight and lower spin. I'm still perfecting how to hit it off the turf but finding better results treating it more like a hybrid than fairway wood in terms of attack angle. Off the tee however, it's mindless. Just swing and watch it split the fairway. 

• Like 1

Currently testing a 19* UW that was bent to 18.25* at 1.5* open by Callaway with a Fujikura Atmos Blue TS 7s tipped an additional 1/2” and all preliminary results are very promising, so much so that strongly considering having this as sole club between driver and irons. 

• Like 2

Titleist TSR2 10* (d4 surefit) Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2s
Titleist 904f 17* YS7+s
Titleist 962b 3-pw s300
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 52* s400
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 58* s400
Ping Zing2 BeCu