2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Callaway UW

copegolfer

How much would y'all recommend tipping for a 17*?  I'm just asking for standard tipping recommendation and I can adjust from there.  I'm having a hard time finding the stock head weights for these anywhere, and didn't know if I needed to tip it as a 4 wood or a 5 wood.  I figure they're a bit heavier based on their standard lengths and SW with the stock 70g RDX.  

WITB
Driver: 10.5* Stealth 2 Plus set 1 click lower upright setting- Accra FX 2.0 270 M4 

Fairways & Hybrids: TM Stealth2 Plus 5 wood turned down to 17* (AV Raw White 75s); 21* Callaway UW (Tour AD TP 8s); 
Irons: Srixon MKII ZX5 4 Iron (Recoil Utility 110 F4), 5-PW Srixon ZX7 (DG AMT White s300)
Wedges: Tour Satin Cleveland RTX6 48* Mid bent to 49* and 52* bent to 54*;  RTX Zipcore Tour Rack Raw 56* Mid bent to 58* (All wedges with DGTI s400 shafts)

Putter: Toulon Las Vegas h4.5 or Kingston KP1 Carbon Oil Can (both with Stability Tour Black shafts)

Am I right in that these have to be ordered either 1* flat or 1* upright? I guess I’ll go flat to help guard the lefts. 

Ping G30 9* Tour 80X
Ping G Stretch Tour 80X
Ping i500 3 DG 120 X100
Ping i210 4-U DG 120 X100
Glide 2.0 Stealth 54* SS DG S400
Glide 2.0 Stealth 58* ES DG S400
Ping Anser TR 1966 / Odyssey White Hot #2

1 hour ago, jah7838 said:

How much would y'all recommend tipping for a 17*?  I'm just asking for standard tipping recommendation and I can adjust from there.  I'm having a hard time finding the stock head weights for these anywhere, and didn't know if I needed to tip it as a 4 wood or a 5 wood.  I figure they're a bit heavier based on their standard lengths and SW with the stock 70g RDX.  

Someone earlier in this thread said they called Callaway and it's 1.5 inches when factory built so start there I would say

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 10* | Fujikura Ventus Black 6S

Titleist TSR2 15* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 7S

Callaway UW 19* | Graphite Design Tour AD MJ 8X

Titleist T350 4I | True Temper AMT Red S300

Titleist T200 5-GW | Project X IO 6.0 

Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore 54* Mid | Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Callaway RTX6 Zipcore Raw 60* Low | Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 | BGT Stability Carbon

Srixon Z Star Diamond

2 hours ago, jah7838 said:

Callaway is doing 1.5" for everything IIRC.

You could also tip them as per shaft makers specs per the loft.

Personally I did 1.25" on mine.

• Like 1

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / CHICAGOTC

5 hours ago, minhjn said:

Someone earlier in this thread said they called Callaway and it's 1.5 inches when factory built so start there I would say

4 hours ago, third-times-a-charm said:

Callaway is doing 1.5" for everything IIRC.

You could also tip them as per shaft makers specs per the loft.

Personally I did 1.25" on mine.

Thank you both. I’ll probably tip mine around that 1.5” mark or a tad less to be safe. 

WITB
Driver: 10.5* Stealth 2 Plus set 1 click lower upright setting- Accra FX 2.0 270 M4 

Fairways & Hybrids: TM Stealth2 Plus 5 wood turned down to 17* (AV Raw White 75s); 21* Callaway UW (Tour AD TP 8s); 
Irons: Srixon MKII ZX5 4 Iron (Recoil Utility 110 F4), 5-PW Srixon ZX7 (DG AMT White s300)
Wedges: Tour Satin Cleveland RTX6 48* Mid bent to 49* and 52* bent to 54*;  RTX Zipcore Tour Rack Raw 56* Mid bent to 58* (All wedges with DGTI s400 shafts)

Putter: Toulon Las Vegas h4.5 or Kingston KP1 Carbon Oil Can (both with Stability Tour Black shafts)

8 hours ago, Tyler K said:

Am I right in that these have to be ordered either 1* flat or 1* upright? I guess I’ll go flat to help guard the lefts. 

Can be ordered 1 degree loft or lie either way.

Edited by tilasan

Ping G430 LST 10.5* - Ventus Blue VeloCore+ 6X

Taylormade BRNR Mini Copper 13.5* - Ventus Blue VeloCore+ 7X

Callaway Apex UW 19* - Attas T2 8X

Ping G425 Max 23.5* - Attas T2 8X

Taylormade 790Ti 6 - Dart V 105X

Srixon ZX7 6-9 - X100

Titleist SM9 46F & 50F - X100

Titleist SM9 55S & 60T - X7 "Spinners"

L.A.B. Link.1 - TPT - XL Tour 2.0 

Srixon Z-Star 💎

4 minutes ago, tilasan said:

Can be ordered 1 degree loft or lie either way.

It it doesn’t look like there is an option to order “standard”. It looks like it has to be either up or down?

Ping G30 9* Tour 80X
Ping G Stretch Tour 80X
Ping i500 3 DG 120 X100
Ping i210 4-U DG 120 X100
Glide 2.0 Stealth 54* SS DG S400
Glide 2.0 Stealth 58* ES DG S400
Ping Anser TR 1966 / Odyssey White Hot #2

43 minutes ago, Tyler K said:

It it doesn’t look like there is an option to order “standard”. It looks like it has to be either up or down?

Interesting just saw that. Wonder if they ran out of standard heads. When I ordered before it was standard.

Ping G430 LST 10.5* - Ventus Blue VeloCore+ 6X

Taylormade BRNR Mini Copper 13.5* - Ventus Blue VeloCore+ 7X

Callaway Apex UW 19* - Attas T2 8X

Ping G425 Max 23.5* - Attas T2 8X

Taylormade 790Ti 6 - Dart V 105X

Srixon ZX7 6-9 - X100

Titleist SM9 46F & 50F - X100

Titleist SM9 55S & 60T - X7 "Spinners"

L.A.B. Link.1 - TPT - XL Tour 2.0 

Srixon Z-Star 💎

Ordered my 17* on Monday and it's going to be delivered today.  I'll swap out the shaft this evening, and give it a good test run the next 4 days with some range time and 2 rounds of golf.  

• Like 2

WITB

3 minutes ago, cflo2382 said:

Love and hate for it. I like the clean bond but also want to try different shafts.

I agree with this.  It's nice to be able to pop a shaft in and out of a club for testing or time of year.  I have a driver shaft that I like to use in the summer, and another in the winter that's easier to load when I can't loosen up as easily.  

• Like 1

WITB

Has anyone tested the UW with AV White? I'm torn between the 80 RDX and 75/85 AV White in the 21 UW for replacing my 3H. Nowhere nearby to test prior to ordering unfortunately.

For reference I like the solid feel of the  Hzrdus Black 85 shaft in the 19degree Srixon ZH85  hybrid I'm replacing.

I appreciate any input you have to share. 

Cheers

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, M1KL83 said:

Has anyone tested the UW with AV White? I'm torn between the 80 RDX and 75/85 AV White in the 21 UW for replacing my 3H. Nowhere nearby to test prior to ordering unfortunately.

For reference I like the solid feel of the  Hzrdus Black 85 shaft in the 19degree Srixon ZH85  hybrid I'm replacing.

I appreciate any input you have to share. 

Cheers

I tested it in the AV white 75x before I bought it with the GD AD-VR and it felt good I was just looking for a little more launch and carry out of it. The AV white is a solid shaft. ***I tested in the 17*

• Like 2

On 4/12/2022 at 9:51 AM, Tyler K said:

Is the stock MMT shaft for this the wood or hybrid? Has anybody ordered this with the MMT shaft or are most going with RDX (out of the stock options)?

23 hours ago, rondre3000 said:

I believe the shafts are fairway wood shafts and not hybrid models. I was between the MMT and Rogue White and ultimately ordered with the Rogue for purely cosmetic reasons as they are so similar. I could of played the stock RDX SMOKE but it felt too different than my other shafts.

wood but shorter

I ordered a played a 19 UW with MMT 80S hoping it would fit nicely in between my 4 wood and 4 iron. It did fit in between for sure but just went a little too far for me. I was hoping to fit a 220-230 number and for me it was flying over 230. I ended up selling it but absolutely loved it. Gonna try out the 21 and see how that goes or just gonna roll with my nike 2 iron. The UW flew super straight but was pretty easy to work the ball either way. I love the way it say behind the ball as the head did not looked closed at all.

• Like 1

Driver - Titleist Tsi2 10º w/ KBS TD 60 Cat 4

4W - Titleist 917F2 16.5º w/ Tour AD DI 7S

3h - Titleist Tsi2 18º w/ KBS Tour Ptototype 85 S+ 

Irons - Titleist T100s 4-P w/ Modus 120 X shafts

Wedges - Titleist SM8 50, 55, and 60

Putter - Cleveland Classic TA2 milled Long neck 

Ball - Prov1x

1 hour ago, spartyjeff said:

Those are insane numbers, what shaft do you have in it?

RDX black. 

• Like 1

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

1 minute ago, QuigleyDU said:

RDX black. 

I demo’d the 19* with the RDX Black and was money! Straight, long, and plenty forgiving. Will be my next frhybrid!

• Like 2

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

I recently sold my 19*......but only because I loved it so much I moved into a 17* and 21*!  Callaway really did it right with this release.  

• Like 4

Ping G430 LST 10* 

Callaway Paradym Super Hybrid 15*

Titleist U505 18*

PXG 0211 XCOR2 Dark 5-L

Cleveland RTX Full Face 64/09

Swag Savage Too

Titleist Pro V1 yellow 

On 4/12/2022 at 10:57 PM, tilasan said:

Interesting just saw that. Wonder if they ran out of standard heads. When I ordered before it was standard.

Callaway Canada is showing the options as 1* Flat or 1* Upright , no standard.

Let me know if this logic is sound...

If I order 1* Upright and -0.5" short shaft, that should put the lie near standard?

There's an article in GOLFWEEK about Fairway woods and lie angle:

"Club manufacturer TaylorMade notes that 1/2 inch added to a club’s shaft will make the lie angle 1 degree more upright, while 1/2 inch trimmed from a shaft will decrease the lie angle by 1 degree."

I'm planning to go shorter than spec length anyway so the no standard lie option should work out in my case me thinks.

On 4/13/2022 at 12:57 PM, Jut said:

I recently sold my 19*......but only because I loved it so much I moved into a 17* and 21*!  Callaway really did it right with this release.  

I was wondering if people were still in love with these clubs.

This is the exact set up I would consider if I was to bag them, but like people have said, not having an adjustable  hosel and taking .335 vs .370 shafts is difficult to find the right fight in a  heavier weight sometimes if you swing a stiff or a light X (me for example).

• Like 1
TBD - G430 Max 15* - 818 H2 19*- Sub 70 Pro 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58* / 62*  - F22

17 minutes ago, J_Tizzle said:

This is the exact set up I would consider if I was to bag them, but like people have said, not having an adjustable  hosel and taking .335 vs .370 shafts is difficult to find the right fight in a  heavier weight sometimes if you swing a stiff or a light X (me for example).

We are waaaaaaay too similar (with one exception, preference for adjustable vs glued). 

I've got a 17°.

I'm about 110-112mph with Driver. AKA borderline Extra Stiff. 

Error with caution, on the side of lighter and softer with these UWs. 

I started with a 90g Extra Stiff, Tipped 1". Waaaaaaay too stout. 

Then, 90g Extra Stiff, NO Tipping. Still, a bit on the stiff side; I can handle it, but it wasn't translating into the right launch I was looking for. 

So now, I am going to go 80g Extra Stiff, NO Tipping. And, any extra weight needed to achieve desired Swingweight will get added to the head. I do believe, this setup will be the ticket. 

Hope I helped. Just speaking from my experience. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, J_Tizzle said:

Callaway did these right. Lots of people have adopted them past just testing them.

I've actually seen more Apex UW in pro's bags as well recently - and not just for testing, either. It's probably the one new 'odd club' release in the last like 10 years I've seen that is actually making it into peoples bags. Lots of the utility spot/hybrid concepts didnt make it past testing but these UWs are different.

• Like 2

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / CHICAGOTC

2 minutes ago, third-times-a-charm said:

Callaway did these right. Lots of people have adopted them past just testing them.

I've actually seen more Apex UW in pro's bags as well recently - and not just for testing, either. It's probably the one new 'odd club' release in the last like 10 years I've seen that is actually making it into peoples bags. Lots of the utility spot/hybrid concepts didnt make it past testing but these UWs are different.

Thats good to know.  I've got the one off in the F6 Baffler in my bag right now so I'm always willing to look at these "one offs".

• Like 1
TBD - G430 Max 15* - 818 H2 19*- Sub 70 Pro 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58* / 62*  - F22

Just ordered the 19 degree.   I haven’t had a comfortable hybrid in the bag since the M6 and really should have ditched that thing in the first place.  If this is as long as people say it is I may no longer need a 3 wood.  Let me know if anyone else has experienced this ie. UW 19 degree replacement of 3 wood.  I am thinking this will be as long or longer than the old Adam’s XTD Titanium Super Hybrid I had many moons ago in 17 degrees. 

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym TD “S” 420cc 8.5 Project X Evenflow Riptide MX 60TX

Mizuno STZ Max 230 12.0 Project X Hzrdus Black RDX 70 6.5

Callaway OG Apex UW 21.0 MCA MMT 80X

Mizuno Pro 243 5-GW Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Mizuno T24 56/12S Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Cleveland RTX Full Face 2 58/8 DG Spinner

Rife Phenom.Z 34”

10 minutes ago, Lemonde said:

Just ordered the 19 degree.   I haven’t had a comfortable hybrid in the bag since the M6 and really should have ditched that thing in the first place.  If this is as long as people say it is I may no longer need a 3 wood.  Let me know if anyone else has experienced this ie. UW 19 degree replacement of 3 wood.  I am thinking this will be as long or longer than the old Adam’s XTD Titanium Super Hybrid I had many moons ago in 17 degrees. 

I replaced my 3 wood with the 19*.  I would say it flies about 10 yards shorter than my 3 wood, but I have a lot more confidence to hit the UW off the turf.  The stars had to align for me to hit my 3 wood off the turf, but in the 3-4 rounds since I've at the UW, I've hit it at least 10 times off the turf and some off the tee.  I'm a leftie so I only had the 19* option, but I probably would have gotten the 17* if I could, but I've been happy with everything about the UW otherwise.  

21 hours ago, EaglesGolf99 said:

We are waaaaaaay too similar (with one exception, preference for adjustable vs glued). 

I've got a 17°.

I'm about 110-112mph with Driver. AKA borderline Extra Stiff. 

Error with caution, on the side of lighter and softer with these UWs. 

I started with a 90g Extra Stiff, Tipped 1". Waaaaaaay too stout. 

Then, 90g Extra Stiff, NO Tipping. Still, a bit on the stiff side; I can handle it, but it wasn't translating into the right launch I was looking for. 

So now, I am going to go 80g Extra Stiff, NO Tipping. And, any extra weight needed to achieve desired Swingweight will get added to the head. I do believe, this setup will be the ticket. 

Hope I helped. Just speaking from my experience. 

Thank you for this; I'm in that driver SS range myself. I near ready to pull the trigger 21UW but can't decide on AVWhite 75XS or 85Stiff or RDX 70/80XStiff. 

Which shaft have you been using in your testing of 90XS now 80XS?

Appreciate your expertise.

9 minutes ago, M1KL83 said:

Thank you for this; I'm in that driver SS range myself. I near ready to pull the trigger 21UW but can't decide on AVWhite 75XS or 85Stiff or RDX 70/80XStiff. 

Which shaft have you been using in your testing of 90XS now 80XS?

Appreciate your expertise.

I can't speak to the 21.0°. I've only looked at it, and waggled it, but haven't remotely come close to hitting yet. 

Ventus Velocore Red 9x. And Ventus Velocore Red 8x.

• Like 1