2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Callaway UW

copegolfer

26 minutes ago, EaglesGolf99 said:

Yup. No issues. Plenty of room to work with. 

Great to hear this! As a leftie, I can only get the 19* but am wanting the 17 for something closed to my 3/4 wood. Never been good with fairway woods of the... fairway 🤨, but am good with hybrids. 

Anyone else completely gotten rid of the fairway woods in the bag and replaced them with UWs?

On 2/20/2022 at 10:30 AM, EaglesGolf99 said:

Yup. No issues. Plenty of room to work with. 

None of my local shops will bend mine. They dont have the right fixture I guess.

I have a 21 coming to test against the 19.

Now I have to decide on length and tipping. I'm not sure where I want to play the shaft between 1-1.5" tipping and 41-41.5" length. I might split the middle of both and do .25" int he middle of each.

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / CHICAGOTC

45 minutes ago, third-times-a-charm said:

None of my local shops will bend mine. They dont have the right fixture I guess.

I have a 21 coming to test against the 19.

Now I have to decide on length and tipping. I'm not sure where I want to play the shaft between 1-1.5" tipping and 41-41.5" length. I might split the middle of both and do .25" int he middle of each.

Not all will bend metal woods. Definitely an experience skill. 

22 minutes ago, EaglesGolf99 said:

Not all will bend metal woods. Definitely an experience skill. 

One of the guys I called is a former tour guy....just doesnt have the right machine I guess.

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / CHICAGOTC

20 minutes ago, third-times-a-charm said:

One of the guys I called is a former tour guy....just doesnt have the right machine I guess.

Same loft and lie bending. I'd assume it's the blocks he doesn't have. Can't go in with the same aggression as an Iron or Wedge. But I'm no Master Builder. I just try to pay attention. 

On 2/20/2022 at 11:01 AM, ernotte said:

Great to hear this! As a leftie, I can only get the 19* but am wanting the 17 for something closed to my 3/4 wood. Never been good with fairway woods of the... fairway 🤨, but am good with hybrids. 

Anyone else completely gotten rid of the fairway woods in the bag and replaced them with UWs?

I just bought the 19* in the stock Hzrdus Black in 6.5. It was impressive. Low spin around 2700-2800 with high launch and took off like a rocket. I hit it as long as my 3 wood with far less spin. Can’t promise the same results, but I was blown away. I usually try to buy used, but I’ve seen so few I just had to buy on the spot. You might want to hit it in 19* before deciding to bend it. If you’rea low spin player, this this might be unhittable. 

• Like 1

Driver(s) - TSR3 Ventus Red 6s and G430 Ventus TR 6x

TSR2 15* Di7s

Sim 2 19* / Tensei AV Blue 85s

Sim2 22* / Tensei AV Blue 85s

MP18 MMC 5-Pw

SM8 50* 

Jaw Raw 54s  

Vokey SM8 M Grind 59*

Spider Plumber's Neck

Callaway Chrome Tour X

37 minutes ago, Benkross said:

I just bought the 19* in the stock Hzrdus Black in 6.5. It was impressive. Low spin around 2700-2800 with high launch and took off like a rocket. I hit it as long as my 3 wood with far less spin. Can’t promise the same results, but I was blown away. I usually try to buy used, but I’ve seen so few I just had to buy on the spot. You might want to hit it in 19* before deciding to bend it. If you’rea low spin player, this this might be unhittable. 

This is great to hear. I ordered it with the stock Ventus blue. Should be here in a couple weeks. Hope I get similar results as you!

19 minutes ago, Stinger83 said:

I was really interested in this club. I love the look of it. But in testing it just didn't perform for me. Launch was lower and carry distance was shorter than the mavrik 5 wood i tested. 

I can imagine if you don’t have high spin and launch this thing would just fall out of the sky. I was hoping it came in 23* so I could replace my 4 iron. For anyone who fights excessive spin this thing is a game changer. 

TSR2 15* Di7s

MP18 MMC 5-Pw

SM8 50* 

Jaw Raw 54s  

Vokey SM8 M Grind 59*

Spider Plumber's Neck

Callaway Chrome Tour X

I just went for a top of the bag fitting and got a driver, 3 wood, and the 19 degree UW. This club just blew me away, it is just so good looking and feeling, versatile, and easy to hit and it tamed the hooky shot I often get with hybrids.

I see some saying that they are getting really low spin but I was getting 4000 to 4400 RPM with the Speeder Evo VII 757 and almost 3 wood ball speeds so it was carrying far and stopping fast and gapping between my 4i and 3w perfectly. But I could also take the spin and altitude off when I wanted to.I can't wait to get this thing out on the course because I feel like it's going to be a weapon. I even want to try chipping with it just for fun.

Edited by hkhawk

8 hours ago, Benkross said:

I can imagine if you don’t have high spin and launch this thing would just fall out of the sky. I was hoping it came in 23* so I could replace my 4 iron. For anyone who fights excessive spin this thing is a game changer. 

This is exactly the concern for me - I have a lower launch and spin swing.....looking to test vs 5 wood, but worry is whether I can hold it up in the air 

After a lot of searching in the UK I found that Sheffield Pro Golf had quite a few in stock with various shaft options. Took a long drive to get there but it was definitely worth it. 

In my mind I was going to order the stock RDX in X but when I got there and hit the X it wasn't working out for me. Tried the RDX in S and it was much better in all areas. 

It is everything that I wanted it to be, accurate, low trajectory and long. Very long. Same distance for me as my F8+ 3+ but in a completely different window. 

I've always hit the ball far too high imo which is not ideal for the conditions in the UK. The averages I was getting for both were:

Carry:      3W 239   UW 236

Rollout:    3W 256   UW 254

Launch °: 3W 11.5° UW 7.9°

Peak:       3W 34     UW 26

To get an average peak 2/3rds of my 3 wood was right what I wanted and so easy to hit straight still! 

Obviously I bought it and drove straight to the range and proceeded to see what I could get out of it, managed to get one out to 291.5 and that was as hard as I could swing. 

Then tried to see how easily I could hit stingers and this is the easiest club I've ever used to hit beautiful stingers. Just had me feeling like Cameron Champ with that crazy low launch! 

Definitely hit the best stinger I've ever hit, check out the figures. 

All in all the hype is real, it's everything I wanted it to be and can't wait to see how it works out on the course. 

Dropping my 3 wood and replacing with this for sure. Screenshot_20220228_194420_com.toptracer.community.jpg.fd0e44658de82cf7979e5dbd95c0ce0d.jpgScreenshot_20220228_212247.jpg.b9956232c921e00c29471b975bf462af.jpg

I have not actually weighed it but the swing weight on mine feels significantly heavier then anything I've ever hit. 

It's working real well for me in the UW. Ordering weights for the 3 wood and driver to see if a heavier swing weight will give the same feel. 

Love this club!

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Titleist TSR3 8* - Ventus Black TR 6X

Callaway Rogue ST LS 15* - Ventus Black TR 7X

Callaway UW 19* - Ventus Red 7X

Callaway X Forged UT 20* - LA Golf A 85X

Callaway Apex '21 5-PW - TT ETS 115 X

Titleist SM9 50* & 54* - DG S200

TaylorMade Hi Toe 60* - KBS Hi Rev 115 S

EVNROLL ER5B - Stability Tour Black

This thing is just consistent.  The 19* UW isn't going to keep up most times with a 5 or 7 wood.  That's not what it's designed to do.  I know it's going 220-230 every time.  Any good player with a 5 wood knows that you can get that high strike on the face that launches high and doesn't spin and goes way farther than you want.  This is an ideal gap club for me

Titleist TSR3 10* | Fujikura Ventus Black 6S

Titleist TSR2 15* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 7S

Callaway UW 19* | Graphite Design Tour AD MJ 8X

Titleist T350 4I | True Temper AMT Red S300

Titleist T200 5-GW | Project X IO 6.0 

Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore 54* Mid | Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Callaway RTX6 Zipcore Raw 60* Low | Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 | BGT Stability Carbon

Srixon Z Star Diamond

23 minutes ago, minhjn said:

This thing is just consistent.  The 19* UW isn't going to keep up most times with a 5 or 7 wood.  That's not what it's designed to do.  I know it's going 220-230 every time.  Any good player with a 5 wood knows that you can get that high strike on the face that launches high and doesn't spin and goes way farther than you want.  This is an ideal gap club for me

I bought a 19* hoping it keeps up with a 7 wood so this is not what I want to hear lol

On 3/1/2022 at 7:55 PM, Benkross said:

Yea i don't overspin the ball. I draw the ball so even with my SS i like a little spin. I do love the look of the club however. Wish more companies would offer a line with this simplified look. it's classic 

23 minutes ago, rjp322 said:

I bought a 19* hoping it keeps up with a 7 wood so this is not what I want to hear lol

The 19* will go way farther then your 7 wood. 

• Like 1

Ping G430 LST 10.5* - Ventus Blue VeloCore+ 6X

Ping G430 Max 15* - Tour AD TSG Blue 75X

Ping G430 Max 21* - Tour AD TSG Silver 75X

Ping G425 Max 23.5* - Attas T2 8X

Taylormade 790Ti 6 - Dart V 105X

Srixon ZX7 6-9 - Modus 115X

Titleist SM9 46F - Modus 125X

Titleist SM9 50F, 55S & 60T - X7 "Spinners"

L.A.B. Link.1 - TPT - XL Tour 2.0 

Srixon Z-Star 💎

2 minutes ago, rjp322 said:

This is what I want to hear as I already sold my 7 wood in anticipation this goes 10 yards farther

I would not worry unless you are swinging at a really low speed.

Ping G430 LST 10.5* - Ventus Blue VeloCore+ 6X

Ping G430 Max 15* - Tour AD TSG Blue 75X

Ping G430 Max 21* - Tour AD TSG Silver 75X

Ping G425 Max 23.5* - Attas T2 8X

Taylormade 790Ti 6 - Dart V 105X

Srixon ZX7 6-9 - Modus 115X

Titleist SM9 46F - Modus 125X

Titleist SM9 50F, 55S & 60T - X7 "Spinners"

L.A.B. Link.1 - TPT - XL Tour 2.0 

Srixon Z-Star 💎

1 hour ago, rjp322 said:

I think you''ll be okay.  I hit it farther than my 21* 7 wood.  7 wood loft is all over the place so I was speaking more in generalities

Titleist TSR3 10* | Fujikura Ventus Black 6S

Titleist TSR2 15* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 7S

Callaway UW 19* | Graphite Design Tour AD MJ 8X

Titleist T350 4I | True Temper AMT Red S300

Titleist T200 5-GW | Project X IO 6.0 

Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore 54* Mid | Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Callaway RTX6 Zipcore Raw 60* Low | Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 | BGT Stability Carbon

Srixon Z Star Diamond

Got my delivery of a 17 degree UW today.  I ordered the Rogue White X shaft and had it cut it 1/2 inch short so it plays even more like a hybrid.  My M3 2 hybrid is a great club but is not forgiving and shots off center don't get me the 250-270 I usually need when I pull it from the bag.  Hit the UW in my garage today and I can already tell the ball speeds off the face are faster.  Hoping slight mishits still get me the distance I need.  Getting to the green in 2 on par 5s more consistently is the goal for the UW.

4 hours ago, rjp322 said:

This is what I want to hear as I already sold my 7 wood in anticipation this goes 10 yards farther

You'll be fine! Obviously everyone is different but I think this is one of those clubs (sort of like the Taylor Made SLDR driver) where "lofting up" for those of us with so-so speed is helpful.  I demo'd the 19 thinking it would be perfect but it was too flat a flight for what I wanted; at least the day I tried it.  Just got a 21 degree and got it on the course and liking so far.  Ideally I'd bend the 19 one degree weak or the 21 one strong if I were ordering new now that I've tried both lofts.

Despite the shorter shaft I hit the 21 degree further than my Epic Speed 7w I was testing.  The 7w just spun up too much  with my delivery and would barely go further than my 23 degree Apex hybrid (195-200 carry club) at like 205-210 carry.  It just wasn't consistent (sometimes 205, then 215, etc.)  The 21 Apex UW consistently hit the 217-220 carry number I was looking for as the club between my 4w and 4hy.

Callaway Epic Speed 9° Driver
Callaway Epic Speed 4W - Smoke IM10

Callaway Apex UW (21°)

Mizuno Pro 225 (4i); 223 (5-9i); 221 (PW)
Jaws MD 5 50°, Full Toe 54°, 58° PM Grind
Toulon Odyssey Chicago

2 minutes ago, cmatthews77 said:

You'll be fine! Obviously everyone is different but I think this is one of those clubs (sort of like the Taylor Made SLDR driver) where "lofting up" for those of us with so-so speed is helpful.  I demo'd the 19 thinking it would be perfect but it was too flat a flight for what I wanted; at least the day I tried it.  Just got a 21 degree and got it on the course and liking so far.  Ideally I'd bend the 19 one degree weak or the 21 one strong if I were ordering new now that I've tried both lofts.

Despite the shorter shaft I hit the 21 degree further than my Epic Speed 7w I was testing.  The 7w just spun up too much  with my delivery and would barely go further than my 23 degree Apex hybrid (195-200 carry club) at like 205-210 carry.  It just wasn't consistent (sometimes 205, then 215, etc.)  The 21 Apex UW consistently hit the 217-220 carry number I was looking for as the club between my 4w and 4hy.

This is my exact gap and I opted for the 19 because my 22* is one of my favorite clubs and I get alot out of it.  Was unsure of going the 21* route and went back and forth.  Can easily see myself buying a 21* if the 19 goes too far.  I hit my 4 hybrid 205 or so and Im aiming for 220ish for the 19* so I think it should be a pretty good fit.  Only concern is that I am not a high spin player

If you hit the 4hy 205 you should have NO TROUBLE hitting the 19 degree 220/225 whatsoever

Callaway Epic Speed 9° Driver
Callaway Epic Speed 4W - Smoke IM10

Callaway Apex UW (21°)

Mizuno Pro 225 (4i); 223 (5-9i); 221 (PW)
Jaws MD 5 50°, Full Toe 54°, 58° PM Grind
Toulon Odyssey Chicago

8 hours ago, Stinger83 said:

Yea i don't overspin the ball. I draw the ball so even with my SS i like a little spin. I do love the look of the club however. Wish more companies would offer a line with this simplified look. it's classic 

The 21* might kick out my 19* Sim Max hybrid that I thought was going to be in my bag for years. I actually don’t like the look and might try to make a matte finish but Jeez is the face hot.

TSR2 15* Di7s

MP18 MMC 5-Pw

SM8 50* 

Jaw Raw 54s  

Vokey SM8 M Grind 59*

Spider Plumber's Neck

Callaway Chrome Tour X

14 hours ago, rjp322 said:

This is gonna go farther than your 7 wood. I'd be worried about it going too much farther, rather than not enough.

Driver: Ping G430 LST 9* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

3W: Ping G430 Max @14* | Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 70X

7W: Ping G430 Max @20* | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 8X (or sometimes G430 3H with Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S)

4 Utility: Ping iCrossover @23.5* | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 95X (or sometimes G430 5H at 25* with Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S)

Irons: Ping i230 5-UW | Fujikura AXIOM 105X

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 54/12W@55/13W, 60/12X | Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Putter: Bettinardi 2024 BB1 Wide 

The trick is finding the right shaft for what you want out of the club. I bought a 21 and have played 4 rounds with it and it launched a little low for what I wanted. Launch was lower than a fairway wood for sure but not as low as a hybrid in equal loft. Launch is very consistent from different lies. The stock shaft is the RDX which is a "low launch low spin" shaft. Like many others seeking gapping I needed a 200-205 club. I was getting these numbers but was coming in a little low. I wasn't carrying the the front bunker in some cases and if I did carry the green it was rolling out quite a lot I switched out the shaft to a Kiyoshi White which is a "mid launch shaft". What i saw was better height. I am now getting the same distance but it is all carry. 1 round so far and 2 range sessions with the new shaft and the ball launches higher and lands much softer on the greens with less roll. The UW is very forgiving in my opinion and very consistent in distance, launch, spin whether off the tee, from the fairway or the rough. It is very neutral in setup if anything maybe a little fade biased. I can usually hit a draw with my fairway woods or hybrids which can turn into a hook very easily. I cannot turn this club left which is fine by me because if I really try and stretch a couple extra yards out of it I don't have to worry about it going left. My standard flight is a baby fade with this club. I was hesitant to pay this much for a gap club but it is one of the best club purchases I have made in the last couple of years. I am one of those players that typically uses a 5 wood from just off the green in tightly mown areas. This club is really good for that shot. In 4 rounds I have hit this shot about 6-7 times and got up and down every time. Those of you worried about the club being to low launch because you "don't generate enough club head speed" find the right loft and shaft combination that will work. For what its worth I saw a used 19* that I wanted to see if it would kick out my 5 wood. I play a Titleist TS3 in 18* on C-1 setting which makes it 17* and fade biased. The UW was about 10 yards shorter  which is expected 2 degrees of loft and shorter shaft. I was hitting the 5 wood 220-225 total with more height and more spin. the UW was 210-214 total. I wish I would have screen shot the numbers from the launch monitor. The 5 wood is staying because it gives me the better gapping in the bag. I go 5 iron at 185, UW at 205, 5 wood at 225, 3 wood at 245, it gives me the perfect setup in yards. 

• Like 2

WITB
 Ping G425 Oban Kiyoshi White 65 stiff
Titleist TSR2+  Oban Kiyoshi White 65 stiff
Titleist TS3  18* set to C1 Oban Kiyoshi White 65 stiff
Callaway UW 21* Oban Kiyoshi white 75 stiff
Ping I210 5-UW Veylix arcane copper mod 1010
Edel SMS V grind  54* Accra SP Wedge 
Edel SMS V grind 58* Accra Hybrex Wedge
SiK DW 2.0 slant neck LA Golf Soho Green or Argolf Merlin Accra FX200 shaft
Titleist ProV1 Yellow