2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Callaway UW

copegolfer

3 minutes ago, cfunk11 said:

My understanding is certified preowned is next to new. Probably no head cover.

If that’s the case then I’m all-in. It looks like they come with a 30-day guarantee so even if they show up more used than I’m hoping for it seems I can return them. 

Thanks!!

TM 300 Mini 11.5 AD-DI 7X

TM Sim2 Max 3HL AD-DI 7X

TM Sim2 Max 7-Wood AD-DI 8X

Ping i230 5-UW LAGP L-Series 120S

Ping Glide 3.0 52-12

Vokey SM8 58-10S

Vokey SM8 62-08M

Ping PLD Prime Tyne 4/TM Spider X Hydroblast

OK so after hitting the 17* I definitely want to figure out how to get a 21* into my bag but also keep my srixon zx 18* utility. Here is my thought. Driver (OG SIM 9*), Apex UW (17* and 21*), Srixon ZX utility (18*) as my secondary tee club, drop my t200 4 iron, bend my t200 5 iron 1 degree strong, 5-9 in T100S, and MG3 46*, 50*, 56*TW, and 60*TW. 

The T200 4 iron is 22* and the T200 5 iron is 26* but will be bent to 25*. Did I just figure out my issue right now? I think so...Who needs a 4 iron anyway haha I am pretty sure I am stealing this idea from Ian Fraser TXGs 2020 golf witb but I like it.

• Like 2

OK so after hitting the 17* I definitely want to figure out how to get a 21* into my bag but also keep my srixon zx 18* utility. Here is my thought. Driver (OG SIM 9*), Apex UW (17* and 21*), Srixon ZX utility (18*) as my secondary tee club, drop my t200 4 iron, bend my t200 5 iron 1 degree strong, 5-9 in T100S, and MG3 46*, 50*, 56*TW, and 60*TW. 

The T200 4 iron is 22* and the T200 5 iron is 26* but will be bent to 25*. Did I just figure out my issue right now? I think so...Who needs a 4 iron anyway haha I am pretty sure I am stealing this idea from Ian Fraser TXGs 2020 golf witb but I like it.

Did you find that your 17* Apex UW covers the distance needed for a FW?  Does it overlap with the ZX 18*?  I ask because I go 19* Hybrid (205-210 carry) to 3W (225-230 carry) to Driver (255 carry).  I am very inconsistent with my 3W, especially off the deck.  I hit the UW indoors and loved it, I am just not sure it will give the the distance I need (store LM said it would, but I trust human results more than big box LMs).

Can the 17* Apex UW act as a FW (3-4 wood) replacement as far as distance goes?

1 hour ago, pfw19 said:

Did you find that your 17* Apex UW covers the distance needed for a FW?  Does it overlap with the ZX 18*?  I ask because I go 19* Hybrid (205-210 carry) to 3W (225-230 carry) to Driver (255 carry).  I am very inconsistent with my 3W, especially off the deck.  I hit the UW indoors and loved it, I am just not sure it will give the the distance I need (store LM said it would, but I trust human results more than big box LMs).

That is a great question…I am a daily strong iron player and can move the ball a little bit. My weakness is accuracy with driver and woods gets me into trouble. That being said…I am treating the 17° And 21° as approach clubs in or 5s. My tee clubs will be driver and 2 iron. The 2 iron will only be used off the tee since I can carry it around 250 here in Chicago. It is worthless off the deck or out of the rough for me but deadly accurate off the tee. 

In reality my 21° will be like a 3/4 iron replacement and the 17° will be like a 4/5 wood replacement. 

1 minute ago, wayward_points said:

That is a great question…I am a daily strong iron player and can move the ball a little bit. My weakness is accuracy with driver and woods gets me into trouble. That being said…I am treating the 17° And 21° as approach clubs in or 5s. My tee clubs will be driver and 2 iron. The 2 iron will only be used off the tee since I can carry it around 250 here in Chicago. It is worthless off the deck or out of the rough for me but deadly accurate off the tee. 

In reality my 21° will be like a 3/4 iron replacement and the 17° will be like a 4/5 wood replacement. 

Funny I also have a Srixon 18 degree utility (U45) which I love but have to drop when I put the 21 degree UW in play.  Really miss the U45 as a tee option but the UW is just so good from the deck.  

Will be course dependent on which sees the bag unless I choose to drop a wedge in the future.

2 hours ago, manima1 said:

Funny I also have a Srixon 18 degree utility (U45) which I love but have to drop when I put the 21 degree UW in play.  Really miss the U45 as a tee option but the UW is just so good from the deck.  

Will be course dependent on which sees the bag unless I choose to drop a wedge in the future.

I too am experimenting with using a 20* ZX or the 21* UW. One will have to go lol

Is the UW not a viable tee club?  I received my 21* UW on Christmas Eve and haven’t been able to test. 

Just now, VanTheMan0519 said:

I too am experimenting with using a 20* ZX or the 21* UW. One will have to go lol

Is the UW not a viable tee club?  I received my 21* UW on Christmas Eve and haven’t been able to test. 

I was literally typing the same response. I don't understand how it can be so good from the deck but not from the tee. 

TM Sim2 Max 3HL AD-DI 7X

Ping Glide 3.0 52-12

Vokey SM8 58-10S

Vokey SM8 62-08M

I think it’s excellent off the tee…however for some reason there is a certain comfort level that I have hitting an iron vs any club that resembles a fairway wood. I’m sure it’s personal preference and in the long run I may find out the 21° is just as good or even the 17° is but until then I’m going to rock the ZX utility. 

I've been having alot of success with the 21 UW off the tee. Pretty easy to flight high or low. And it just loves to go straight. 

PING G400 MAX 10*, Ventus Blue 6X

Cleveland HiBore XL 2 Wood - THE GOAT

Cobra F6 Baffler 17,5*, AD DI 8S

Cobra F7 Hybrid 21.5*, AD DI 95S

Srixon ZX5mk2 5, ZX7mk2 6-PW Modus 120x

50/54/60 Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore DG Spinner

11 hours ago, ktyler2 said:

I was literally typing the same response. I don't understand how it can be so good from the deck but not from the tee. 

just a different club altogether. The UW at 21 degrees for me spins over 4000 rpms whereas the driving iron is about 1000 below that with a more penetrating flight. 

What that means is the driving iron has another gear of about 20 yards off the tee for me 

I've found my 19* off the tee to be amazing.  Hitting it consistently 250-260 with baby draw.  I was playing an old Adams Peanut 18* that I love but this is way easier to hit.

Titleist TSR3 with Fuji Ventus TR Blue 6x 
Titleist TSR3 with Fuji Ventus Blue 8x
Titleist T200 Utility with Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black (90x)
Miura MB101 (4-PW) with KBS Black $ Taper (130x)
Vokey SM8 Black Wedges- 50F, 54S, & 58D with KBS Black $ Taper 
Bettinardi Tour Issue BB0 Flow Prototype

It's a Callaway fairway wood thing. My epic speed did the same thing. It does seem to come off though. There are a few threads about it, and usually callaway will replace it for you 

Titleist TSR3 10* | Fujikura Ventus Black 6S

Titleist TSR2 15* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 7S

Callaway UW 19* | Graphite Design Tour AD MJ 8X

Titleist T350 4I | True Temper AMT Red S300

Titleist T200 5-GW | Project X IO 6.0 

Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore 54* Mid | Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Callaway RTX6 Zipcore Raw 60* Low | Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 | BGT Stability Carbon

Srixon Z Star Diamond

5 hours ago, pearls24 said:

I've found my 19* off the tee to be amazing.  Hitting it consistently 250-260 with baby draw.  I was playing an old Adams Peanut 18* that I love but this is way easier to hit.

That is amazing distance, but from my perspective (old man) I can't imagine hitting driver that far consistently.  I had a 19* for two weeks and hated it, must be all about the clubhead speed to make it sing.

Callaway Smoke Max 10.5 GD AD VF 6s

Titleist TSR 2 16.5 GD AD UB 7s

Titleist TSR 2 21 GD AD DI 8x

Callaway APEX CB  5-11 Steelfiber i95 r

Callaway full toe 54* PX IO  6.5

Callaway full toe 58* PX IO 6.5

SLED # 1  35.5

23 hours ago, ktyler2 said:

I rarely hit my hybrid from the tee. 

4 hours ago, bohansen said:

Has anyone experienced rusting spots on the face?  I’ve only had the club for a few months but a ton of spots have started to appear all over the club face. 

I did go to Bandon last month but the conditions were great and I always keep the cover on when not hitting. 

ABBE99AD-6770-4ACF-BE9E-FCBEA5286BC8.jpeg

Quite like the look personally. Golf clubs=tools not jewels.

On 1/5/2022 at 1:17 PM, pfw19 said:

FYI you can order from callaway 1 degree strong. Can definitely act as a 3-4 wood.

Ping G430 LST 10.5* - Ventus Blue VeloCore+ 6X

Ping G430 Max 15* - Tour AD TSG Blue 75X

Ping G430 Max 21* - Tour AD TSG Silver 75X

Ping G425 Max 23.5* - Attas T2 8X

Taylormade 790Ti 6 - Dart V 105X

Srixon ZX7 6-9 - X100

Titleist SM9 46F - X100

Titleist SM9 50F, 55S & 60T - X7 "Spinners"

L.A.B. Link.1 - TPT - XL Tour 2.0 

Srixon Z-Star 💎

7 minutes ago, tilasan said:

FYI you can order from callaway 1 degree strong. Can definitely act as a 3-4 wood.

Are they bendable? Or does Callaway hand pick heads that have a little variation?

TM Sim2 Max 3HL AD-DI 7X

Ping Glide 3.0 52-12

Vokey SM8 58-10S

Vokey SM8 62-08M

Duplicate.

Edited by tilasan

Srixon ZX7 6-9 - X100

Titleist SM9 46F - X100

Srixon Z-Star 💎

7 minutes ago, ktyler2 said:

Are they bendable? Or does Callaway hand pick heads that have a little variation?

Pretty sure callaway will bend 1 degree strong or weak. Also will do lie one degree. I ordered mine 1 strong and 1 flat. Not sure if they use a mold or what they do on the tour trucks.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Srixon ZX7 6-9 - X100

Titleist SM9 46F - X100

Srixon Z-Star 💎

13 hours ago, bohansen said:

Has anyone experienced rusting spots on the face?  I’ve only had the club for a few months but a ton of spots have started to appear all over the club face. 

I did go to Bandon last month but the conditions were great and I always keep the cover on when not hitting. 

Not a fan of this but if it happens will contact Callaway and see what they will do

TaylorMade M4 9.5 Project X HZRDUS Black 75 6.5
TaylorMade M2 2016 HL Project X HZRDUS Black 65 6.5
TaylorMade GAPR Lo 19 Project X HZRDUS Black 85 6.5
Bridgestone J15 DPF 4 Iron DGS300 Pro
Wilson C300 Forged 5-PW X100
Cleveland CBX 54 & 58 S400
Odyssey Works Tank Cruiser #7 38"

My "regular swing speed guy" report...

Off the tee my Apex21 4h was great, but I was never quite happy with how it sat at address (paint on topline looked open, but face looked way closed) or from the fairway where I put too many hooks on it. So, in typical WRX fashion, I looked into and picked up an Apex UW. Sits MUCH nicer to my eye at address (face and topline are parallels), is great off the tee and fairway and has me feeling like I can just swing away without fear of the "hard lefts". Ball flight is higher and lands softer than the 4h it replaces but carry is just a bit longer...almost encroaching into "poorly hit 5 wood" territory when pured. Hit a second shot into a short par 5 to 15' yesterday from 211yds away and was ecstatic.

For background, I did not get on with the 6.0 RDX Smoke Black so ordered it in 5.5. Also just received one with a Rogue White, which I also have in my driver, to compare. I carry my 7 iron 150yds and a typical drive for me is in the 230-250yd range here in San Diego.

Edited by rondre3000
  • Like 1

d: Epic Max | f: Rogue 3HL, Apex UW | h1: Apex Super | i: 923 HM | w: MD4 | p: Chalk Spider X SB

7 hours ago, Mookie91 said:

Not a fan of this but if it happens will contact Callaway and see what they will do

I contacted them yesterday and they are going to send a replacement. Unfortunately they didn’t have any Trono shafts available so they are sending a stock club and I’ll have to change the heads myself.  Callaway customer service was great and quick to resolve the issue as best they could. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Golly said:

I rarely hit my hybrid from the tee. 

Quite like the look personally. Golf clubs=tools not jewels.

Sure… if it’s normal wear and tear, not if it’s a product defect. The customer rep said they haven’t heard of anything like that happening and recommended replacing it right away. 

Got to hit my 21* for the first time last night, albeit in a dome. Definitely gets the ball airborne, can certainly see it being a nice weapon into par 5s off the deck. But at the same time the Cally 2019 Apex hybrid I've got in that slot hits such repeatable bullets off the tee that I'm so used to for tight par 4s. I like what the UW offers but I'm not certain it'll slot into my gaps and preferences properly. Wasn't wild about the Smoke Black RDX shaft that didn't feel like the low launch shaft it was described as, despite having a Smoke Black in my driver and hybrids, might have to tinker some there. For all the no left talk I could certainly turn it over, but I can do that with a sand wedge as well. 😤

On 1/4/2022 at 10:56 AM, wayward_points said:

This is too much to think about. Lol why not just get a gap fitting instead of trying to guesstimate 🥴 

Ping G400/ Ping tour 65 s

Ping 410 3w / Ping tour 65 s 

Nike VRS covert 5w/ kurokage black s

Titleist 718 T-mb 4 iron / amt white s300

Titleist 716 AP2 5-pw/ amt white s300

Cleveland Rtx4  48(bent to 50)mid, 54 mid, 58 mid / dynamic gold s400

Nike midnight method 006/ Black SS Gt 1.0 w 25g counter core.

23 hours ago, bohansen said:

Have you tried a magic eraser ??

• Sad 1

Ping G400/ Ping tour 65 s

Ping 410 3w / Ping tour 65 s 

Nike VRS covert 5w/ kurokage black s

Titleist 718 T-mb 4 iron / amt white s300

Titleist 716 AP2 5-pw/ amt white s300

Cleveland Rtx4  48(bent to 50)mid, 54 mid, 58 mid / dynamic gold s400

Nike midnight method 006/ Black SS Gt 1.0 w 25g counter core.