Having trouble hitting driver into a net

harpua728

I'm having a great deal of trouble hitting into a net in my yard - especially with the driver.  I have a launch monitor and my speed and distance is way down when hitting into the net.  I'm sure I have some kind of hesitation since I'm only hitting into a net a few feet away.  Or maybe I'm just scared of letting loose and hitting my neighbor's house!  In any event, I feel like I'm not making my normal swing and I'm probably doing more harm than good by practicing this way.

Has anyone else gone through this?  Any tips to overcome it?

4 minutes ago, ericz said:

I have similar issues with all clubs hitting into a net. I think it has to do with not having a target in the distance. Sorry I don't have any actionable advice on this, but I'd love to know a solution as well.

I agree.  I think that not having a target in the distance plays a major role here.

You will get better but it will never be the same. I have a golf simulator and struggling to hit the driver longer than 245 yards at home. On the course, I have many drives longer than 260 yards and a few were longer than 270 yards. 

First I thought it was my Skytrak simulator not too accurate but I went to Roger Dunn to test new drivers and can't hit anything more than 240 either.

Edited by khalespace

2 minutes ago, khalespace said:

You will get better but it will never be the same. I have a golf simulator and struggling to hit the driver longer than 245 yards at home. On the course, I have many drives longer than 260 yards and some are longer than 270 yards. 

First I thought it was my Skytrak simulator not too accurate but I went to Roger Dunn to test new drivers and can't hit anything more than 240 either.

Do you feel that it negatively impacts your swing?  

I unfortunately can't get fit for clubs indoors for this reason.  I need to be outside on a range for a fitting, which limits my options.

2 minutes ago, harpua728 said:

Do you feel that it negatively impacts your swing?  

I unfortunately can't get fit for clubs indoors for this reason.  I need to be outside on a range for a fitting, which limits my options.

For some reasons swinging a club indoor, in an enclosed space prevents me from swinging freely. My irons are also 5 to 10 yards shorter at home. 

I think that it is mental. I hit the ball way longer at home during the day. At night, when my wife and kids are asleep, I hit it shorter. May be I worry about the noise from the garage.

Edited by khalespace
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, harpua728 said:

I'm having a great deal of trouble hitting into a net in my yard - especially with the driver.  I have a launch monitor and my speed and distance is way down when hitting into the net.  I'm sure I have some kind of hesitation since I'm only hitting into a net a few feet away.  Or maybe I'm just scared of letting loose and hitting my neighbor's house!  In any event, I feel like I'm not making my normal swing and I'm probably doing more harm than good by practicing this way.

Has anyone else gone through this?  Any tips to overcome it?

How do you know ? :classic_blink:

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

LOL, I feel you my friend..... 6ft Wide x 9ft high net (Small hitting space),  took about 4 months to get comfortable hitting anything longer than an Iron into the net.  After blowing 2 holes in the drywall and 1 ricochet back at me and puncturing the dry wall behind me,  I setup some "side nets" and have some "extra stuff" as deflection......

You gotta see it, its a cabinet that we never setup thats still in the box and has about 10+ ball imprints from missing the net its absolutely hilarious. Anyways.. 2 more additional months of laughing at myself blowing holes in the drywall in the house. I can say I am 100% comfortable hitting driver into the net at full speed.  

I have no advice other then you just gotta do it.  Its like cliff diving..... You just gotta jump without fear. The only thing is facing that fear, so if you have to setup some kind of secondary net just incase in your mind you think you will miss the net or it will go through it and hit our neighbors house.  DO IT. Just to be safe.  Again I have 2 holes in the drywall.  I "NOW" have 2 nets, 1 canvas tarp an the impact screen, so I dont go blowing through the net, mind you I only swing about 100-105 but I only have about 1ft of distance behind the net and the wall due to the Mevo+ needing 16ft of space.

Just gotta swing and believe....

• Like 1

Cobra SZ - Rogue 60s
TM 15* M2v1 - RIP Phenom 60S
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Sub70- 649mbs-PW-6 ,639 CBs-5-4   PX 6.0 Rifles
Vokey SM7 - 50*/8*, 56*/10* & 60*/8* S200
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

2 minutes ago, Exactice808 said:

LOL, I feel you my friend..... 6ft Wide x 9ft high net (Small hitting space),  took about 4 months to get comfortable hitting anything longer than an Iron into the net.  After blowing 2 holes in the drywall and 1 ricochet back at me and puncturing the dry wall behind me,  I setup some "side nets" and have some "extra stuff" as deflection......

You gotta see it, its a cabinet that we never setup thats still in the box and has about 10+ ball imprints from missing the net its absolutely hilarious. Anyways.. 2 more additional months of laughing at myself blowing holes in the drywall in the house. I can say I am 100% comfortable hitting driver into the net at full speed.  

I have no advice other then you just gotta do it.  Its like cliff diving..... You just gotta jump without fear. The only thing is facing that fear, so if you have to setup some kind of secondary net just incase in your mind you think you will miss the net or it will go through it and hit our neighbors house.  DO IT. Just to be safe.  Again I have 2 holes in the drywall.  I "NOW" have 2 nets, 1 canvas tarp an the impact screen, so I dont go blowing through the net, mind you I only swing about 100-105 but I only have about 1ft of distance behind the net and the wall due to the Mevo+ needing 16ft of space.

Just gotta swing and believe....

I thought the Mevo+ only needed 9 feet from ball to net.  At 16 feet, I feel like a lot of irons would go over the net!

7 minutes ago, khalespace said:

You will get better but it will never be the same. I have a golf simulator and struggling to hit the driver longer than 245 yards at home. On the course, I have many drives longer than 260 yards and a few were longer than 270 yards. 

Kinda the same question as above.

You've got 2 technical and totally objective devices telling you the same thing; you're not as long as you think.

But "on the course" you're hitting it much longer. Begs questions about carry and roll and about other environmental conditions such as wind and roll out. But what ev.

A buddy of mine's about a 12 handicap and looking for a new driver shaft so I lent him a few of mine to try. In discussing things he told me his swing speed is "about 100".

My swing speed is about 93. I fly it 10-20 PAST him and sometimes total of 30-40 - condition dependent of course.

Much has been made of golfers *thinking* they hit it much further than they really do. Ask a salesman/fitter what percentage of people tell them they hit it "about 240" and can only hit it 215.

Titleist Pro V1X

I've moved my net around to minimize the chance of an errant ball hitting anything.  Now it is up against a huge compost pile and wooded area. 

If something lands in the woods or compost pile it may be  years before I see it again.  

These days I practice really close to the net.  Too close for the Mevo, so I rely more on sound to judge how hard I'm hitting the ball.

But I'm much more comfortable hitting it hard into the net and figuring out my distances on the golf course with the GPS.

Edited by ShortGolfer

7 minutes ago, harpua728 said:

Because I've compared the data to range sessions without a net

So you've had outdoor sessions with a launch monitor and the results are far different ?

Fair enough. I guess hitting indoors inhibits you. 👍

Titleist Pro V1X

11 minutes ago, harpua728 said:

I thought the Mevo+ only needed 9 feet from ball to net.  At 16 feet, I feel like a lot of irons would go over the net!

I need 8ft from ball to net and 8ft from Ball to Mevo+ so 16ft total distance.  

I am 8ft ball to net but about 7.5ft ball to mevo+.    The funny thing is I just hit a flop shot over the 9ft net a couple days ago..... damn....

Cobra SZ - Rogue 60s
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

Just now, harpua728 said:

Correct.  Comparing outdoor range to outdoor with a net.

Team Trust Is A Must - PeopleTek Coaching

Titleist Pro V1X

2 hours ago, nsxguy said:

You've got 2 technical and totally objective devices telling you the same thing; you're not as long as you think.

But "on the course" you're hitting it much longer. Begs questions about carry and roll and about other environmental conditions such as wind and roll out. But what ev.

A buddy of mine's about a 12 handicap and looking for a new driver shaft so I lent him a few of mine to try. In discussing things he told me his swing speed is "about 100".

My swing speed is about 93. I fly it 10-20 PAST him and sometimes total of 30-40 - condition dependent of course.

Much has been made of golfers *thinking* they hit it much further than they really do. Ask a salesman/fitter what percentage of people tell them they hit it "about 240" and can only hit it 215.

I have a radar device which I bring to the course. My driver speed is currently 98 to 102 which correspond with 250 to 260 total driver distance. I also measure my drives with GPS and I am aware of the wind directions.

Edited by khalespace

1 hour ago, khalespace said:

I have a radar device which I bring to the course. My driver speed is currently 98 to 102 which correspond with 250 to 260 total driver distance. I also measure my drives with GPS and I am aware of the wind directions.

So 3 devices and you pick the best of the 3.

I probably would too. :classic_wink:

Titleist Pro V1X

10 hours ago, nsxguy said:

So 3 devices and you pick the best of the 3.

I probably would too. :classic_wink:

You forgot the distance I measured with GPS. I usually don't have 220-230 average that the simulators tells me unless I mishit. Indoor swing syndrome is real if you bother to look it up.

23 hours ago, nsxguy said:

SORRY Long post, but was excited to discuss

Hey @nsxguy Just for discussions sakes as @harpua728 is the reason I bought my Mevo+ when they posted the Fathers Day special this past year,

After purchasing and hitting driver with it, I was "deflated" as I seemingly got an average distance of 230y on the Mevo+

This was 4 months ago, when I was still hesitant hitting driver in the house (Relevant to the topic) But my crappy @$$ numbers based on my swing speeds.

image.png.c72008886bda03f44e7eea44b6f51cbf.png

Ball speed Average is  = 145.17 mph

Average Carry = 228y (Really Terrible)

Avg Total Distance = 235y (Terrible)

Avg LA = 15.4* (good)

Avg Spin = 3486rpms (Terrible Crazy BS spin numbers)

ANYWAYS..... if I might throw so thoughts here.  (Again relevance to the topic, after 4 months of fear. I am comfortable hitting full drivers in the house)

I average about 100-105 swing speeds.  with any given range of 1.45 - 1.5 smash.  Quality strike, ball speeds could range from as low as 145 to 157. (Im goin to say I average about 147mph)

This was me hitting Yesterday.

image.png.e130ff6fe7eaf4c997e4fe0ce8f8fd7c.png

Ball speed Average is  = 148.93mph (+3mph) (Better)

Average Carry = 233y (+5y) (Terrible)

Avg Total Distance = 242y (+7y) (Ok)

Avg LA = 11.3* (-4.1y, granted doing some swing changes, lofted down to 8.5*, need to go back up in loft and cut my shaft to 44" from 45.75" yesterdays 1st time testing the setup)

Avg Spin = 3136rpms (-350rpms, but I dont trust ANY spin on the Mevo+ with driver right now, I know I am under 3000rpms, still high IMHO)

Wow They updated the optimizer, https://trajectory.flightscope.com/

Matching my location/temp and inputting the data averages = 234 carry with 241 total... crap for 148mph ballspeeds

image.png.19c1507cfd26e1d30abc9b09c69b91f0.png

But with a couple of "optimized" tweaks,  14* LA and spin down to 2500rpms = 241 carry 249y total distance, closer to what I had in my head and what I do on the course

image.png.e6aba1cc09cb2becea393519adbf9c32.png

Based purely on data and averages I should be able to get 240y carry and 250 total.  Which I surely believe and accept,  Of course on the Mevo+ I am nowhere bear there with any consistency. I am closer to 235 carry and 240 total 10y well short of what I should be getting.

On the course though,  based on my GPS and stat tracking.  I am on target or a little passed that.  Average Carry is 245 with an Avg total 255. With that I do have a couple of God willing 300y actual drives, of course this is full-out downhill down wind, but I have done it.

WHAT GIVES?

Is the LM telling the Truth, or is the course telling the truth? Am I over estimating?

Do people OVER estimate their numbers? ALL the damn time,  but with actual data, and matching on course. I know I get about 148mph ball speeds (super drives strikes get me more btw) and that should get me to 250y+ total but the mevo+ barely gets me their if ever. 

1) I think the Mevo+ is AMAZING, but the driver spin reading sucks donkey.......

2) I have been to the box stores on the GC quads all data is close EXCEPT the spin,  I average on the GCquad about 2500rpm,  thats 600rpms average difference which is huge 5y+ with a driver.

Are LM's reliable?.. for the most part they are..... what I am noticing the biggest issues is spin with all shot types, Wedges to Drivers, if you are looking for any type of consistency for carry the spin ALSO has to be consistent and readable if not, Distances can be all over the creation. 

Edited by Exactice808

Cobra SZ - Rogue 60s
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

19 hours ago, harpua728 said:

Has anyone else gone through this? 

I can say, I have never hit into a net in the yard, with any club.  But that happens to me on some target courses.  So, my default solution is reach for 2 iron.  Seems to benefit me cause I find the fairways. 

The closest I've ever come to that feeling you're experiencing is in my office.  I chip with LW or SW in my office daily.  But if I use PW I suddenly feel apprehensive about distance. 

• TSR2 10° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° Talamonti PD 80R
  • T-MB 17° 2i Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i to PW MMT 105S
  • SM9 F52/12 & M58/8, DG S200 127g
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

21 hours ago, nsxguy said:

So you've had outdoor sessions with a launch monitor and the results are far different ?

Fair enough. I guess hitting indoors inhibits you. 👍

7 hours ago, khalespace said:

You forgot the distance I measured with GPS. I usually don't have 220-230 average that the simulators tells me unless I mishit. Indoor swing syndrome is real if you bother to look it up.

Nope, didn't forget anything. But outside measurements have all sorts of environmental factors going for/against,,,,,,,,,

And I don't believe I said "indoor swing syndrome" or whatever one might cal it, ISN'T real. In fact, I inferred (as above) to harpua that it is, or at least could be. I'm sure it IS a real thing.

Sorry I wasn't more clear.

Titleist Pro V1X

3 hours ago, Exactice808 said:

SORRY Long post, but was excited to discuss

Hey @nsxguy Just for discussions sakes as @harpua728 is the reason I bought my Mevo+ when they posted the Fathers Day special this past year,

After purchasing and hitting driver with it, I was "deflated" as I seemingly got an average distance of 230y on the Mevo+

This was 4 months ago, when I was still hesitant hitting driver in the house (Relevant to the topic) But my crappy @$$ numbers based on my swing speeds.

image.png.c72008886bda03f44e7eea44b6f51cbf.png

Ball speed Average is  = 145.17 mph

Average Carry = 228y (Really Terrible)

Avg Total Distance = 235y (Terrible)

Avg LA = 15.4* (good)

Avg Spin = 3486rpms (Terrible Crazy BS spin numbers)

ANYWAYS..... if I might throw so thoughts here.  (Again relevance to the topic, after 4 months of fear. I am comfortable hitting full drivers in the house)

I average about 100-105 swing speeds.  with any given range of 1.45 - 1.5 smash.  Quality strike, ball speeds could range from as low as 145 to 157. (Im goin to say I average about 147mph)

This was me hitting Yesterday.

image.png.e130ff6fe7eaf4c997e4fe0ce8f8fd7c.png

Ball speed Average is  = 148.93mph (+3mph) (Better)

Average Carry = 233y (+5y) (Terrible)

Avg Total Distance = 242y (+7y) (Ok)

Avg LA = 11.3* (-4.1y, granted doing some swing changes, lofted down to 8.5*, need to go back up in loft and cut my shaft to 44" from 45.75" yesterdays 1st time testing the setup)

Avg Spin = 3136rpms (-350rpms, but I dont trust ANY spin on the Mevo+ with driver right now, I know I am under 3000rpms, still high IMHO)

Wow They updated the optimizer, https://trajectory.flightscope.com/

Matching my location/temp and inputting the data averages = 234 carry with 241 total... crap for 148mph ballspeeds

image.png.19c1507cfd26e1d30abc9b09c69b91f0.png

But with a couple of "optimized" tweaks,  14* LA and spin down to 2500rpms = 241 carry 249y total distance, closer to what I had in my head and what I do on the course

image.png.e6aba1cc09cb2becea393519adbf9c32.png

Based purely on data and averages I should be able to get 240y carry and 250 total.  Which I surely believe and accept,  Of course on the Mevo+ I am nowhere bear there with any consistency. I am closer to 235 carry and 240 total 10y well short of what I should be getting.

On the course though,  based on my GPS and stat tracking.  I am on target or a little passed that.  Average Carry is 245 with an Avg total 255. With that I do have a couple of God willing 300y actual drives, of course this is full-out downhill down wind, but I have done it.

WHAT GIVES?

Is the LM telling the Truth, or is the course telling the truth? Am I over estimating?

Do people OVER estimate their numbers? ALL the damn time,  but with actual data, and matching on course. I know I get about 148mph ball speeds (super drives strikes get me more btw) and that should get me to 250y+ total but the mevo+ barely gets me their if ever. 

1) I think the Mevo+ is AMAZING, but the driver spin reading sucks donkey.......

2) I have been to the box stores on the GC quads all data is close EXCEPT the spin,  I average on the GCquad about 2500rpm,  thats 600rpms average difference which is huge 5y+ with a driver.

Are LM's reliable?.. for the most part they are..... what I am noticing the biggest issues is spin with all shot types, Wedges to Drivers, if you are looking for any type of consistency for carry the spin ALSO has to be consistent and readable if not, Distances can be all over the creation. 

How are you my young friend ? How's Hawaii ? clappy.gif

I know you've relied on Flightscope before. A wonderful calculation website that I assume is about as accurate as one can get.

I would hope that the indoor LMs at Dick's, PGA, GG, etc. are accurate and set up properly. I'm sure they are quite expensive. Same goes for Trackman. I seem to recall TM costs about $20K ? Or am I misremembering ? :classic_smile:

While I realize that cost does not always make one something "better" than another something, in this case I'm guessing it does. Mevo+ ? $1,800, no ? Sooooooooooo,,,,,,,,,, Dunno1.gif

As for your numbers it looks like they're simply not optimized. Too much spin for the most part.

In the last 4 swings of the 1st grouping the ball speed's there as well as the launch angle but the spin rate is still a bit too high.

In the 2nd grouping the ball speed's better and more consistent (probably more comfortable hitting inside) AND hitting the sweet spot more often but the LA has gone down quite a bit. Spin rate is better but still a little too high. But what happened to the LA ?

If you fiddle around with Flightscope I believe you'll find (iirc) that getting the launch angle up is more effective at carrying the ball farther than worrying about a few hundred RPM spin rate differences.

You know the formula. High launch and low spin. At around 100 mph, a window of 14-16 LA and 2200 spin would pretty much max you out for both carry and roll out.

Bon chance 👍

• Like 1

Titleist Pro V1X

1 hour ago, nsxguy said:

How are you my young friend ? How's Hawaii ? clappy.gif

I know you've relied on Flightscope before. A wonderful calculation website that I assume is about as accurate as one can get.

I would hope that the indoor LMs at Dick's, PGA, GG, etc. are accurate and set up properly. I'm sure they are quite expensive. Same goes for Trackman. I seem to recall TM costs about $20K ? Or am I misremembering ? :classic_smile:

While I realize that cost does not always make one something "better" than another something, in this case I'm guessing it does. Mevo+ ? $1,800, no ? Sooooooooooo,,,,,,,,,, Dunno1.gif

As for your numbers it looks like they're simply not optimized. Too much spin for the most part.

In the last 4 swings of the 1st grouping the ball speed's there as well as the launch angle but the spin rate is still a bit too high.

In the 2nd grouping the ball speed's better and more consistent (probably more comfortable hitting inside) AND hitting the sweet spot more often but the LA has gone down quite a bit. Spin rate is better but still a little too high. But what happened to the LA ?

If you fiddle around with Flightscope I believe you'll find (iirc) that getting the launch angle up is more effective at carrying the ball farther than worrying about a few hundred RPM spin rate differences.

You know the formula. High launch and low spin. At around 100 mph, a window of 14-16 LA and 2200 spin would pretty much max you out for both carry and roll out.

Bon chance 👍

Hello my well experienced friend,  Hawaii Weather is epic.... Covid can kiss my..... LOL.

System to systems....prices mmmm... This is coming from an SC100 to an ES14 and now a Mevo+.  I will say all 3 has amazing abilities in capturing ballspeed quite accurate (Radar) The Mevo+ was the biggest move as it gives direction/dispersion.  While the SC100 was default data to ballspeed,  ES14 was better as it incorporated LA and total spin for distance, but no dispersion.

the Mevo+ measures more....ok moving from real simple Data.

You know me well right LOL Im that nerd.  So simply looking at my data,  while the ballspeed average is what it is, its then the Launch angle and spin. 

As mentioned yesterday,

I cut my shaft down from 45.75" to 44" thats the first thing, 

Second thing is I had it in a backup shaft that is stock lofted at 8.5*,

3rd and possible the kicker, the stock 45.75" shaft is the stock Aldila Rogue Silver 60 (Low/mid launch, Low/mid spin).   The shaft that I chopped was an old BlackTie 7M3 stiff.  (Low launch, Low/mid spin).  This combo likely knocked the LA down, so just turning up to 10* from 8.5 should do the trick.

Ok So bringing the LA up, is one thing,  Bringing the spin down is the other.  Mevo+ right now, just does not do well with spin on the short indoor setting.  This is compared to the GC quads at Roger Dunns, where again I am averaging spins around 2500 with a LA of 14*.  

On the course I know I am NOT spinning it over 3000rpms as I am getting the distances I would be getting at 2500rpms (240+carry, 250+ total)  these 2 pictures are 20 shots, only 2 where over 250 "total".

So what is off, The Mevo and its obvious spin numbers,  My on course misunderstanding of distance or just my overall misunderstanding that at sea level with 148mph ball speeds I cant get driver distances of 250y, because the Mevo+ says I only get 235-240 with any regularity LOL 🤣

Edited by Exactice808

Cobra SZ - Rogue 60s
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"