2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

The 150th Open

bobfoster

1 hour ago, scott_Donald said:

I actually really like 12, 14 and 16.

12 hit a good tee shot and good birdie hole, otherwise good luck as the green is a killer.

14 just let it rip off the tee and go for the green!

16 so tight for The Old Course, try and keep it right to make it so short but flirt with the Driving Range and OB.

Playing myself, my wallet have only permitted me to play it once IRL (in different games numerous times), my caddie was like, drive it to the rough at the left and everything is gonna be alright...

2 hours ago, scott_Donald said:

I can't wait for this, I will be watching on TV but almost prefer to watch the tournament like that.

I can only speak for Royal Aberdeen but the course is already in great condition with the weather been so good since mid April; course is going to be in perfect condition by July.

I was going to try and get a practice round ticket but seems impossible; I am lucky with having a property right in the centre of town, I can park there and walk 3 minutes to the Old Course.

What is shocking to me is we still have not let the property for The Open yet; rightly the price is stupid but it is so close to everything in town. Restaurant bookings will be interesting in town that week, they are bad enough during The Dunhill.

Thats sad to hear. My only round at the Old Course and the stay at St Andrews, back in  2008ish, was for that time very affordable everything. B&B just a stone throw from 1st Tee as cheap as anywhere else(great service, among the best breakfast ever), 130 pounds for the Old course (added 65 pounds for the mandatory day-before Jubilee round, but It was a perfect weekend)  and about 60 for the caddie. I count it as one of the most price worthy rounds of golf I ever had. The Caddie, Sandy, was worth every penny. Not only did we make a really good round of golf with his guidance but his scottish accent and his humour "aye, ee was boorrn is sankt androos, ee lost me verrgeentiy in sankt andrroos", "dat is de greetest peenis in skotlannd"  was great.  But yeah, I heard prices has gone ridiculous now. 

Edited by Hankshank

Even living close by (20minutes) I didnt sign up for the ticket ballot -
2005 open I lived in the town so just wandered down to the course  - went out at 5.30AM to see Tiger practice  - not sure I even had to pay that morning.

Was part of the marshalling team in 2015 so got as up close and personal as you can which was a great experience but the weather that year certainly presented some challenges.

This is a really spoiled for choice decision but as others have said - Old Course is not great to watch on so you are going for the atmosphere and the day out. Compared to other opens Ive been to (Carnoustie and Troon) its more about the day out and experience.  Satuday in 2005 we ended up sat watching Tiger and Monty on the big screen for hours as opposed to trying to see anything on the course.

For those going - a really good spot is the stand beside the 11th tee - can see 7,8,9,10 and 11 from there.

I really do worry about the logistics of 50000 people getting to and from the town every day even with park and ride facilities etc.

Saying all that I will be sick to the stomach during the week that I'm missing out ..........

Hope those that are going have a great experience

• Like 1

Taylor Made SIM max 10.5 - Aldila Rogue 110 60 s

Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 15 - Even Flow Blue 6.0

Srixon zu85 3i / Titleist TS2 5w

Titleist TMb 4i

Mizuno Mp59 5-pw - KBS C-taper lite S

Vokey SM6 52, 56, 60

Scotty Cameron Newport

1 hour ago, iBanesto said:

1978 Open was absolutely bananas…the leaderboard after every round was a future hall of fame ballot

Thats something I really miss, a major championship where there is a real duel between some of the really big elephants, battling it through to the last hole. Being a wee bit patriotic, the duel btw Stenson and Mickelson at Troon had a little bit of that. Most often, there is a mixed bag of wannabees, prettygoods and top players at the top of the leaderboard. Ok, Zalatoris is pretty close to top player, this last had one of the more exciting finales later years.

10 hours ago, Mustard_Tiger said:

I love the British Open. I think of the great British Open champions of the past like Walter Hagen, Bobby Jones, Gene Sarazen, Sam Snead, Ben Hogan, Arnold Palmer, Jack Nicklaus, Lee Trevino, Johnny Miller, Tom Watson, Tiger Woods, Ben Curtis, Todd Hamilton, Zach Johnson, Jordan Spieth...

You know when you've sipped Miller Lite from the claret jug, you're among the best golfers to ever play the game of golf.

You left out Big John Daly!

• Like 2

Rogue ST Max LS or Paradym 10.5 (9.5) Ventus TR 5 R

Paradym 3HL  NVS 65 R
AI Smoke 21* and 24*
PXG GEN6 XP 2X Black 6-GW MMT 6 or AI Smoke 6-GW Tensei white 75 R

PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” 

E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response '20

3 hours ago, jubilee_links said:

Even living close by (20minutes) I didnt sign up for the ticket ballot -
2005 open I lived in the town so just wandered down to the course  - went out at 5.30AM to see Tiger practice  - not sure I even had to pay that morning.

Was part of the marshalling team in 2015 so got as up close and personal as you can which was a great experience but the weather that year certainly presented some challenges.

This is a really spoiled for choice decision but as others have said - Old Course is not great to watch on so you are going for the atmosphere and the day out. Compared to other opens Ive been to (Carnoustie and Troon) its more about the day out and experience.  Satuday in 2005 we ended up sat watching Tiger and Monty on the big screen for hours as opposed to trying to see anything on the course.

For those going - a really good spot is the stand beside the 11th tee - can see 7,8,9,10 and 11 from there.

I really do worry about the logistics of 50000 people getting to and from the town every day even with park and ride facilities etc.

Saying all that I will be sick to the stomach during the week that I'm missing out ..........

Hope those that are going have a great experience

Jube - shhh! Don't be telling people how good the grandstand on 11 is haha.

• Haha 1

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

2 hours ago, MattyO1984 said:

Jube - shhh! Don't be telling people how good the grandstand on 11 is haha.

Food and bar round the back of the loop often also bit quieter......

As a side note - I know its 2 months away but its blowing 40mph here this afternoon....

• Like 1

Taylor Made SIM max 10.5 - Aldila Rogue 110 60 s

Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 15 - Even Flow Blue 6.0

Srixon zu85 3i / Titleist TS2 5w

Titleist TMb 4i

Mizuno Mp59 5-pw - KBS C-taper lite S

Vokey SM6 52, 56, 60

Scotty Cameron Newport

I've been waiting for this thread.  My wife surprised me with tickets for Friday for my birthday.  It's one of those MasterCard Experiences where you get hospitality, etc.  We get three meals and comped drinks at the Seafood Ristorante behind the first tee, grounds passes, and reserved seating in the 18th grandstands.  Bringing my wife and my parents (who have never left the US).  Dad introduced me to golf when I was 4, so this is going to be something.  I'm thinking we'll both get a little teary when we step on those grounds.

Any travel/spectating tips would be extremely welcome!

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Hankshank said:

Thats sad to hear. My only round at the Old Course and the stay at St Andrews, back in  2008ish, was for that time very affordable everything. B&B just a stone throw from 1st Tee as cheap as anywhere else(great service, among the best breakfast ever), 130 pounds for the Old course (added 65 pounds for the mandatory day-before Jubilee round, but It was a perfect weekend)  and about 60 for the caddie. I count it as one of the most price worthy rounds of golf I ever had. The Caddie, Sandy, was worth every penny. Not only did we make a really good round of golf with his guidance but his scottish accent and his humour "aye, ee was boorrn is sankt androos, ee lost me verrgeentiy in sankt andrroos", "dat is de greetest peenis in skotlannd"  was great.  But yeah, I heard prices has gone ridiculous now. 

I am talking Open 10 day booking prices for accommodation; everything else is fine.

6 hours ago, Ashley Schaeffer said:

I've been waiting for this thread.  My wife surprised me with tickets for Friday for my birthday.  It's one of those MasterCard Experiences where you get hospitality, etc.  We get three meals and comped drinks at the Seafood Ristorante behind the first tee, grounds passes, and reserved seating in the 18th grandstands.  Bringing my wife and my parents (who have never left the US).  Dad introduced me to golf when I was 4, so this is going to be something.  I'm thinking we'll both get a little teary when we step on those grounds.

Seems an epic trip, where are you staying?

My dad really likes that fish restaurant, I have never been.

St Andrews is so simple and compact, was supposed to be there today but will be next week now.

• Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • TM Stealth 2 Iron or Ping i59 3 iron Project X 7.0
  • Artisan MB 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

20 hours ago, jubilee_links said:

Food and bar round the back of the loop often also bit quieter......

As a side note - I know its 2 months away but its blowing 40mph here this afternoon....

The weather this week has been mad up here as well. More like Autumn than mid-late Spring.

Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

12 hours ago, Ashley Schaeffer said:

That sounds incredible, hoping for the best day for you when it comes around. I'll be there that day, I will wave from the cheap seats haha. Make the most of the hospitality that is for sure but I would always recommend grabbing a seat on the the grandstand next to the 17th green at some stage. Watching them coming through that green with all the pitfalls around it (Road Hole Bunker and the Road) then teeing off on 18 heading back into the town proper is just incredible. 

Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

9 minutes ago, KNOWMOREDOUBLES said:

So what is the winning score this year?  I just heard Frank Nobilo say if the conditions are easy, it could get to 25 under.  Doesn't sound like a major to me if that's the case.

Well if Frank nobilo says it, it must be true

The lowest winning score ever at St Andrews was -19, but that was Tiger in his heyday, oh and he won by 8

If no wind i'd say between -15 and -18, if the wind is howling then god knows

• Like 1

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9*

Adams XTD Ti 3 wood 14.5*

Cobra SZ 17* hybrid

Adams DHY 21*

Cobra King forged TEC 2023 black 5-PW

Cobra snakebite Black wedges 50/54/58

Bettinardi BB39

12 minutes ago, KNOWMOREDOUBLES said:

So what is the winning score this year?  I just heard Frank Nobilo say if the conditions are easy, it could get to 25 under.  Doesn't sound like a major to me if that's the case.

Ask the player that shoots -25 under if they think it's a major...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

16 hours ago, Ashley Schaeffer said:

I played St Andrews with my Dad a few times in 1978, and a couple more in 1984.  Great memories.  Irreplaceable.

• Like 1
Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

3 hours ago, Ferguson said:

Fair to say this isn't really the 150th Championship.  The first 30 or so were smaller events with few hardcopy records to verify the results.  I am going to say this is actually the 119th playing of this event. 

Well aren't you Danny Downer.

• Like 1
Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

1 hour ago, MattyO1984 said:

Ask the player that shoots -25 under if they think it's a major...

100% agree.  I just hear complaints about the Tour being nothing but a birdiefest week to week. What will be the difference if someone does shoot -20 at the British Open?  Will they complain then?  Put an asterisk next to it?

and FYI gvogel...we can all be DEBBIE Downer's theses days, if we chose

Edited by KNOWMOREDOUBLES
  • Like 1

Played the old course in 2010.  It was late October.  Walked to the starter hut as a single about 4:30 AM and got my name on the list.  Got out early with another American and an English couple.  It was freezing.  Was wearing so much clothing that I blocked my opening tee shot OB.  Yes, it’s possible to do that.  

Simply put TOC is awesome.  The turf is incredible.  I’ve never played off such a perfectly firm surface.  If you’re into architecture there are so many great holes and features it’s hard to keep track of it all.  I still remember hitting over the shed on the road hole.  Missed a four footer for par.  Walking up 18 was awesome.   Had lunch with the English couple after, they paid.  What a great experience.  I wish I could play there tomorrow.  I love Scottish golf, the people and the atmosphere.  What a place.   Here’s to a great 2022 Open Championship!

• Like 1

St Andrew’s recollections-

I first played it while in high school. Schooled to perfect fairways and “fair” outcomes, I hated it. On one hole, can’t remember which, my caddie told me to aim at the church steeple. After determining which steeple (there were several) I absolutely nutted a drive, which was maybe 2 degrees left of said target, and turned proudly to my caddie, who was shaking his head saying, “Oh no laddie”. Confused we grimly walked on and found my ball is a tiny, hellish bunker. After several attempts I finally just threw the damn thing out. Things got worse. OB’s, lost balls, adventure with both road hole wall and bunker. 

Been back several times and have learned to appreciate it. Still not my favorite, those would be Dornoch, Muirfield, RCD and Waterville, but certainly the epicenter of golf history and perfect place for the 150th. Can’t wait. 

Edited by Duct Tape
  • Like 1

Will be watching on TV. Applied to the ballot and got nothing. One of our members managed to secure 3 days worth of tickets. Be interesting to know how the hell that happened. Due to demand people are asking 6 times face value for practice days. If this is the R&A's idea of growing the game then attending future opens is going to be a real challenge. 

15 minutes ago, elwhippy said:

Due to demand people are asking 6 times face value for practice days. If this is the R&A's idea of growing the game then attending future opens is going to be a real challenge. 

Is it the R&A's fault for what people are re-selling The Open tickets for? Explain that. Hint. It's not.

People sell their Masters tickets, practice rounds and daily round tickets, for more than a 6x factor every year. Is that the fault of ANGC? 

• Like 2

On 5/25/2022 at 8:59 AM, scott_Donald said:

What is shocking to me is we still have not let the property for The Open yet; rightly the price is stupid but it is so close to everything in town. Restaurant bookings will be interesting in town that week, they are bad enough during The Dunhill.

That’s terrible. I shall mosey on up on the Wednesday of Open week and offer you a stupid low amount of money for your property, and you’ll have to take it, lol. 

• Haha 1

One of few golf bucket list things I have.....either play there or see any Open in person.  Playing there probably more realistic.  Have not been this up for a major in quite a while, so looking forward to this years Open.  Will miss Peter Aliss though...........greatly.  

• Like 1

Driver: Wilson Whale

3 wd: Nickent 4DX

5 wd: Adams Faldo Series

7 wd: Warrior Tomahawk

9 wd:  Mastergrip OSC

11 wd: Goldwin 11

Irons 7-pw: Slotline Inertial E-Max

SW: Alien Shot Saver   LW: Hummingbird Air X 70 degree

Putter: Tour Edge T-Balance

Ball: Chromax Titanium