2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Settle a debate for me. Extra Hybrid or an Extra Wedge?

hartonjok

I removed my 60 from the bag when I realized that I could hit 99% of the shots with my 56. I would only pull the 60 if conditions were perfect because a miss with the 60 was awful.  I almost never full swing a wedge either.  I added a hybrid because I can’t hit the same shot with my 4W or 4i.  It just isn’t possible for me to take a little off a fairway wood or flight down a long iron to hit that distance. Even if I could, the ball flight would be totally different from a hybrid. The bottom of my bag is now Pw (44), Aw (49), 53 (bent from 52), and 57 (bent from 56). No way would I ever add that 60 back in when the extra long club adds so much more versatility. 

I carry 4 wedges (set pw, 48, 52 & 56) to cover me in scoring positions. I have good control into/around the green. Plus, I am comfortable opening the face up with wedges as needed. Then, I focused on closing the gaps at the top end of the bag. I have a variety of club options and decide what to carry based on the course layout and distance. I regularly carry 13 clubs, but will add the 14th club based on the course. At the top end of the bag, I always carry the Epic Speed 9*, Apex UW 17* (this club kicked my 3 wood out of bag due to my ability to hit it from the tee/fairway/rough) and Epic Flash 20*/23*hybrids. So, adding a club for me could be a 3 wood or longer hybrid/iron. 13 clubs work well for me generally since I trust my distances (+\- a few yards) for each club. But, some courses I play in my area having different landing zones and require a different club options. I really just focus on the scoring areas and a quality tee shot.

Driver: Paradym Std 10.5*-Tour AD XC 6s

Apex UW’s: 17*-Tour AD IZ 8s, 19* & 21*-Tour AD UB 7x

UT Iron: Callaway X Forged UT 21*-Tour AD DI Hybrid 85x

Irons: Callaway Epic (2017)-UST Recoil ES 780 F4 (6-PW)

Wedges: Callaway Jaws MD5 48*S, Jaws MD4 52*S and Jaws Raw Full Toe 58/10

Putter: Toulon Garage Atlanta DB Stroke Lab 34"

Ball: Srixon Z-Star Diamond

Honorable Mention: Paradym Std 3HL (16.5*) - GD Tour AD IZ 7s

Depends on your game but I would say extra club at the top end for me. 3 wedges cover all the shots I need from 130 and in. Prefer options at the top, wedges make my life more confusing lol

TM Qi10 (9*) | Kai’li White 60 X

TM M6 3w (15*) | HZRDUS Yellow 76 6.0

TM Stealth2+ 5w (18*) | HZRDUS Yellow 83 6.5

PXG Gen4 0311 X (20*) | HZRDUS Black 105 6.5 

PXG Gen4 0311 T (4) | DG X100

TM P730 (5-9) | DG X100 

TM MG3 (46.09, 54.13, 60.TW) | DG S300 

TM Spider X Chalk

Ball: Taylormade TP5x 

I carry 4 wedges (PW, GW, SW, LW). Also still carry a 3i, but thinking of swapping that out for a 5w or hybrid. Personally, I get a lot more benefit from the wedges than I would be shrinking their numbers in favor of the top of the bag. Hit the ball far enough that anything beyond a a 5 or 6i really doesn't see a ton of use. 

I kind-of did both. Recently dropped my 3w and 4i. Now go 5wd, 4hy, 5hy, and at the bottom of the bag I play a set pw, gw, then blade 50, 56. Only a few rounds with that setup, I likely need to weaken the 50 2 degrees. But it's been working well.

Taylormade Sim 9.0° Diamana ZF 60 stiff

Taylormade Sim Ti 15° Diamana ZF 70 stiff

Cobra F7 4-5 Ti 18.5° Diamana Kai'li 80 stiff

Ping G25 Hybrid 23° Kbs C-Taper Lite stiff 

Bridgestone Tour-B X-CB 5-PW Project X LZ 6.0

Cobra MiM Black 50°v, 56°v, 60°w Kbs Hi-REV 2.0 125 stiff 

Maltby Ptm-1

Srixon Z-Star 

Titleist Players 5 Stand Bag

Bagboy Nitron 

• 4 weeks later...

Play what works for you. That is what you have to figure out and don’t worry with what other people say you should have. Golf is a sport where your in control and you will only play well when you’re brutally honest with yourself. I play clubs that I hit well period. Driver, 5w, 5 iron-PW and putter that’s nine clubs. No need for a 4 iron because I would rarely use it I didn’t hit it very accurately but I do the 5 iron. I also hit my 5w really well and will choke down 2 inches and cover my 4 iron. So I have a lot of room in the bottom end. I carry a 50.08-54.12-56.10 I also looked at my game and wanted a low bounce wide flange wedge for hard pan lies so I put a 58.6 which I strictly use maybe only once every 3rd round but it gets me out of some bad spots.. I know people will say why do I have a 54* and a 56* it’s because different bounces and different grinds. My short game is really good so I save a lot of pars and chip in for birdies a bunch. 4 brides today 2 were chip ins. Play your game. 

A lot of it depends on the loft of your 9 iron ... I carry 4 wedges, but one of them is 43 degrees - is that really a wedge?

I vote for the extra wedge ... that's were the strokes are.

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

I play a traditional 48, 52, 56, 60 wedge setup. For full swings the gapping works out well. However, my goal this year is to learn partial shots and build an effective wedge matrix.

I’ve found my distance control is not good enough to take advantage of the precision of the tighter loft gaps. I find my 1/2 and 3/4 shots often overlap leading to redundancy and limiting the benefit of the additional wedge. Ideally, I’d like to hit 3 distinct distances with each shot, but I’m not there yet.

I think I’m going to drop one wedge and focus on dialing in 1 or 2. In the meantime I’ll likely add another tee club. As I get better with my wedges I might add one back, or see how good I can get with larger loft gaps. 

Personally, I go with the concept of an “anchor” wedge.   A wedge that can handle any shot from 75 or 65 with relaxed confidence.   Needs to be capable of both open faced and square shots, high flops and lower check shots. Green side shorted and sand ups and downs.   For me it has been a 60 for 22 years. Sometimes it was a TM Y cutter before they got outlawed.  From that point on it has pretty much been either Vokey SM, Vokey Wedge Shop, or Miura.   From there I build the wedge section.  At 4 degree intervals.   If it’s a course with small harder greens, I’ll add in a 64.   Otherwise it’s 48, 52, 56 mid bounce & 60 low bounce, all of which can easily open.  When the day comes that the 56 can’t go at least 95-100, then I’ll rethink to maybe 48, 54, 60?  Either way, an optimum wedge set never gets sacrificed for a hybrid or a FW.  

• Like 1
Spoiler

Paradym Ai Smoke MAX 10.5  Velocore Red 6S 45" D3

Rogue ST MAX 5W,7W Velocore  Red 7S 

Srixon MKII ZX4-4, ZX5-5&6, ZX7 7-PW

MODUS 120 S +3/4, D3-D5

SM8 Raw 52 F-12, 56 V,  & 60 V

Scotty Circle T Red Dot 350g Newport 2 (A006794), Pro V1x, Miura Alt bag: 4-PW CB57’s & K Grinds 52,56,60,64 or Fun Bag MP-33 5-PW 

On 5/24/2022 at 5:07 AM, hartonjok said:

Makes me wonder, should I get a 3 hybrid or 7 wood instead? Seems like 7 wood is all the rage these days, and I am curious to see if that could fill the gap between my 2 hybrid (240 carry) and my 4 iron (210 carry). But to be honest, I've never been in a situation where I thought to myself "damn, I wish I had a 230 club".

Ah yes, the LW! Forgive me, but learned to play golf in the misty yesterday of the 1960s.

Drivers and fairway woods were actually - gasp! - made out of persimmon wood. Golfdom had two wedges, the PW and the 55* or 56* SW. And, golfers knew how to hit lovely greenside cut shots with the SW.

On 5/24/2022 at 5:07 AM, hartonjok said:

I'm starting to feel like there isn't enough difference between my 56 and my 60. ... bunker. ... chip/pitch...saucy-saucy flops. If anything, I use the 56 on all of those. 

Ah, laddie... You're having a Brigadoon moment!

Back to reality: From 5 + decades of golf, I have learned that you don't need a LW - until you do. For me, I shifted form 60* to 58* and suddenly had much greater control of the LW.  From inside 30 yards, I use mostly a 7i chip or a LW cut (not lob, too risky). This often depends on the manicure preferences of the greens crew that morning.

If you open up a slot on the long end, it depends on what you can actually hit. A 3H likely would mesh best with the 4i.

You have a unique mix. Two single-digit guys I know have 3W, 2H and 4H, with the 4H replacing their 4i.

In parting, remember the Second Law of WRX: Whatever works! (the First Law: Go get fit!)

Your 56* has a bit more loft than my 54*, so it might work as the ultimate short-end club. 

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

You can have both of you drop the longest iron and get more loft on a hybrid. And learn to hit that hybrid both ways to create a 30 yard variance.   

but this only works for long hitters.  That hybrid is a 205-225 club for me and it’s 23 degrees. 7 wood is 220-235 club on the fly -5 iron is 195 in the air.  And usually rolls a touch.  So you’ve got the gap covered up top.as crazy as it sounds I use 7 wood off the tee a ton.  If it’s firm out I get 225 carry off the tee easily , and 12-15 yards of roll.  Trouble comes up at 250 a lot on older courses.  My 3 wood is 255-265 carry off the tee. So I actually neee those yardages covered up top.  For years I played with 3 wood 3 iron and no coverage up top.  And wondered why my scoring was sporadic . It was because I was constantly hitting into trouble - good shots too long. Or the reverse. Laying back way too far to avoid trouble but being too far back to attack. 

I’m currently wondering if I won’t drop my 50 degree wedge and add a 64.  I rarely use the gap. I don’t like it. For whatever reason it isn’t a consistent club for me.  If you hit it well it will fly 120. If you miss it a hair it’s 95 yards.  Huge gap for its performance.  It’s a set gap same as my iron set. And it sucks. I am a pitching wedge person.  I can vary trajectory and shape and cover  108-140 no problem.  And tend to see a ton of 90  and closer shots and very few 105-115 shots.  

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I really only carry my 52* which I use as my wedge for tight lie pitches (lower bounce) vs my 56* that is for heavy rough and sand pitches. Not really ful swing clubs, but can be. My set pitching wedge is a full swing club. 

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

Depends on your game and your set. Is your PW 44* or less, if so I feel you need 3 extra wedges, maybe 4 but then you probably end at a 5 or 6 iron in the set so you have room. It depends on your course as well, do you have alot of 200+ yard approaches, then you can benefit more at the top of the bag.

Last year I primarily played a 7200 yard course with a couple monster par 3s (240 and 260) and par 5s that were surrounded by water, I put 2 hybrids in play along with my 4 wood. This year i joined a private club that is shorter 6700 yards and my hybrids largely gather dust, I could and may re-jig my set or could easily play with 12 or 13 clubs.

I disagree with the comment about long clubs not being scoring clubs, if I can get the ball on or near a green from 220-250 yards it is generally about 2 more strokes to get in the hole, that means a birdie on a par 5 or a par on a long 4 or 3. If I layup to 80 yards I will almost certainly hit the green but getting inside 10 feet maybe 1/2 the time and inside 5 feet not all that often, which means more pars on the 5s and more bogeys on the long par 4s. Granted my short game is decent and get up in down often provided I don't short side myself.

Ping 430 LST 9* set to 7.5*  ventus TR blue 6x

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎3+ Kai'li 70x

Ping g425 max 7 wood set to 19* w Ventus TR blue 8X

Srixon ZX utility 23* Ventus Black 9tx

Srixon ZX-7 5-AW, Project X 6.5 LZ

Cleveland RTX mid bounce 56 and 60 DG S400

Odyssey metal x milled 2-ball mid, 

Srixon Z-Star 💎

I carry PW, 50, 54, 58, and 60. The 58 has high bounce and the 60 low, so they're used very different. I am going to drop one of the lobs for a 3 hybrid as right now I'm driver, 4 wood, 4 iron. So something in between the wood and iron would be nice. However, I just don't find myself missing that gap very often. Not as often as I find myself using the 58 or 60. 

Ultimately it's looking like I may go with a low bounce 58 and the hybrid though. There are times I'd really like that hybrid off a tee.

I played with 4 wedges all last season and would usually find I had one wedge I'd rarely use (usually the GW). 

I've since added a DI to the top of the bag (giving me a high/low option with my 7w) and now go PW / GW / LW. Though I switched to a vokey PW which has helped with half shots and shots around the green.

EPIC SPEED TD 10.5* ventus blue 6x

SIM TI 3HL 17* ad di 7x

APEX UW 21* smoke black 70s

U65 18* + Z765 RAW (4-9) mmt 125s HSx1

SM9 RAW (46/52/58) mmt 125tx SSx1

WHITE HOT OG 7CH polar stability

--

VESSEL player iv pro

BESTGRIPS microperf 

PRO V1x left dash

4 wedges in the bag:  44 (set PW), 48, 54 and 60.  60 only gets used inside 40 yards, but I've had enough short-side shots to justify its space in the bag.

But I also game 2 hybrids:  19 (dialed down to 18) and 21.  I pulled my 5i (the least used club in my bag), figuring I can choke down on a 4 if needed.  Its been a year, I haven't missed the 5i

Titleist TSR3 10*: LA Golf Olyss 65S

Titleist TSi2 16.5*: Aldila Rogue Silver 125 70S

Titleist TSR3 19*:  LA Golf Ozik Black Tie 105S

Titleist TSi2 22*: Aldila Tour Blue 105TX

Grindworks PR-202 6-PW: Nippon Modus3 120X

Edel SMS 48*V / 60*T:  Nippon Modus 125 Wedge 

Grindworks Barrett 52* / 56*: Nippon Modus 125 Wedge 

Scotty Cameron 2014 Select Fastback