Could Tiger be done?

donnygolf

27 minutes ago, Simp said:

He's kaput. If anyone, including himself, thinks he's capable of winning again, they're delusional. I applaud his resiliency though. 

Tiger Woods is totally, completely, unequivocally, and utterly done

July 17, 2015

GIF by Sports GIFs

🤣

The thing is I agree. But….
Edited by bscinstnct
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

On 12/14/2022 at 12:20 PM, ChristopherMcDonald said:

IMO, if John Daly can use one, so can Tiger, full stop. 

John Daly or anybody else on the Champions Tour can use a cart for competition without asking to do so. That's part of the Champions Tour rules. Not the general PGA Tour.

Daly has used a cart at the PGA and Senior PGA championships as the PGA, not to be confused with the PGA Tour (different organizations that some still think they are the same) has allowed this.

Daly has not been approved for a cart for USGA Championship as he never completed the paperwork the USGA requested. He whined about it. Yet Scott Verplank (diabetes) was granted the use of a cart for at least one Senior US Open because, gasp, he requested the use of a cart and was granted it since he supplied all of the information requested by the USGA where JD never did and then whined about it. JD has always always made excuses. 

JD has always continually requested handouts. He's always thought he was a special case. Especially when it came to the US Open. He never tried to qualify for the US Open on the PGA Tour/Champions Tour through local/sectional qualifying events when he was not exempt into the US Open from his playing accomplishments. He thought he was deserved exemptions into the events. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Tiger Woods is not disabled. Why should he be granted a cart? He has got a string of medical conditions that prevent him from walking. It’s competitive golf, if the body is not up to the task, so be it. But at least he doesn’t ask for a cart. Arkansas Fats is not disabled either. But he asks for exemptions, he wants a cart, he doesn’t practice, he doesn’t deliver results. He wants everything without working for it. That’s why Woods is the GOAT, and Daly is a circus act on the Senior Circuit. 

10 hours ago, Short Pete said:

Tiger Woods is not disabled. Why should he be granted a cart? He has got a string of medical conditions that prevent him from walking. It’s competitive golf, if the body is not up to the task, so be it. But at least he doesn’t ask for a cart. Arkansas Fats is not disabled either. But he asks for exemptions, he wants a cart, he doesn’t practice, he doesn’t deliver results. He wants everything without working for it. That’s why Woods is the GOAT, and Daly is a circus act on the Senior Circuit. 

I sincerely hope you’re never injured badly enough that walking or standing keeps you from working in your chosen career.  Talk about an unsympathetic, inconsiderate…

• Like 1

Srixon ZX5 Mk II LS 9.5 driver Aerotech Ti-Fiber Tour 70 stiff

Srixon ZX Mk II 3 & 7 woods Aerotech Ti-Fiber Tour 70 stiff

Taylormade Stealth II 2 hybrid Kai-Li 95x 

Srixon ZX-7 4/5 irons KBS $-taper 120

Srixon Z-Forged II 6-PW KBS $-taper 120

Cleveland ZipCore RTX Tour Raw 52/56

TM Spider GT-X putter

XXIO lightweight caddy cart bag on MGI Zip AT

Srixon Z-Star Diamond ball

35 minutes ago, SnowbirdTom said:

I sincerely hope you’re never injured badly enough that walking or standing keeps you from working in your chosen career.  Talk about an unsympathetic, inconsiderate…

Don’t get me wrong, I would love to see Tiger Woods play his best golf. He was so good for so long, it made me sad to see him limp around St. Andrews. He has my deepest respect for trying so hard to get his game and his health back. But competitive golf at the highest level is meant to be playing 18 holes a day walking. Woods also has my respect for not considering to get a cart. I guess he has a good sense for sportsmanship, because a cart can make it easier on the body, and he considers that an unfair advantage. 

Mr. Daly is the exact opposite. He doesn’t work on his health. He is grossly overweight, doesn’t practice, eats lots of junk food, smokes and drinks. Thus his health gets worse every year. Instead of working on his habits to stay competitive he regularly tries to get himself advantages. He begs for invitations, he begs for a cart, but he is even too lazy to fill out the needed documents. He even begs by Norman for putting him into LIV. Damn, if you want to make a living playing golf, then go live like a professional. Stop blaming others for your own faults, and stop guzzling vodka out of the bottle on a golf cart on YouTube. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, SnowbirdTom said:

That's for a normal career. Golf is a sport. Part of having it as a career is being physically fit enough to be able to perform. You don't see players in other sports asking for special exemptions when an injury makes them unable to compete any longer. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Jc0 said:

That's for a normal career. Golf is a sport. Part of having it as a career is being physically fit enough to be able to perform. You don't see players in other sports asking for special exemptions when an injury makes them unable to compete any longer. 

Any “sport” that provides the ability to make a living and draw a pension is a career.

Srixon ZX5 Mk II LS 9.5 driver Aerotech Ti-Fiber Tour 70 stiff

Srixon ZX Mk II 3 & 7 woods Aerotech Ti-Fiber Tour 70 stiff

Taylormade Stealth II 2 hybrid Kai-Li 95x 

Srixon ZX-7 4/5 irons KBS $-taper 120

Srixon Z-Forged II 6-PW KBS $-taper 120

Cleveland ZipCore RTX Tour Raw 52/56

TM Spider GT-X putter

XXIO lightweight caddy cart bag on MGI Zip AT

Srixon Z-Star Diamond ball

Tiger looked really good to me yesterday.

I think he’s earned the right to go out how he wants, when he wants, 100% on his own terms.

• Like 2

Callaway Paradym X (11*) / Hzrdus Black Smoke 6.0

Callaway Paradym X (15*) / Hzrdus Silver 6.0

Callaway Rogue St Max OS (21*) / Tensei AV Blue 75 S

Srixon ZX5 (4-PW) / Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 S

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore (52* Mid, 58* Mid) / DG Spinner

Odyssey Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide

WITB on WRX

On 12/17/2022 at 3:05 AM, Short Pete said:

You’re third sentence is the definition of “disability”.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 9° Tensei Pro Blue 60 

Titleist TS3 3w 13.5° HZRDUS Black 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

On 12/14/2022 at 2:10 PM, heavy_hitter said:

Not so sure I understand why so many people are finding it hard to let go.  I honestly don't want to se Tiger with or without a cart.  I want to see the younger stars.

Tiger right now is the sole reason the PGA has an image problem.  They really need to push him out and promote the young stars rather than to continue to grasp at the Tiger train.  There is a huge image problem on the PGA tour.

Agree/disagree. Should the PGA tour relied less on Tiger and more on developing other players, yes. 

However, Tiger is so popular because he changed the game. It was like World War 1, in the beginning some countries were using Civil War Military tactics yet we had advanced weapons. That's what Tiger was, he took the game and made it more about power and made it cool versus what it had been. PGA tour can try all they want, guys like Scottie/Cam Smith/Cantlay aren't moving the needle like Tiger.  

On Tiger:

I think he's kind of like Phil in 2021. Outside of the PGA, Phil had a horrible year, I believe the PGA was his only top ten and something like ~70% of his on course earnings was from the PGA. Mainly, Tiger needs to be locked into a tournament for him to get a win now. It has to go perfect for him for four rounds. I think he doesn't want to push anything, so as soon as something bad happens in a round he's shutting it down. Basically, he has to be in the lead or by the lead in the first round, and I don't know if even that will happen. Time will tell, has to happen at Augusta or the British. 

On Daly;

I think it gets crossed in our minds because most golfers use carts on weekends. It would be like if people played pick up basketball in Segways because they couldn't run, then an NBA player couldn't run and requested a Segway. I think Daly is somewhat good for the game because he draws in crowds, maybe some fans who aren't the best but it is what it is. Maybe a fun guy to watch, maybe a fun guy to play a round of golf with. But he's just a golfer, I don't think he has great insights into life (and thats okay), he appears to be the best father he can be, so that's something. Let's not kid ourselves though, if we all have/or had a kid, we wouldn't want them to live a life like John Daly, and that says something. Take away the golf, and he's just a sad old man. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Short Pete said:

Tiger Woods is not disabled. He is injured.

Likely permanently.  That is disabled.  Not all disabilities are from birth.  Trauma can cause disability.

Edited to add….disability can be temporary. Although in Tigers case the leg is likely a permanent disability.

Edited by Shilgy
  • Like 1

Titleist TSR3 9° Tensei Pro Blue 60 

Titleist TS3 3w 13.5° HZRDUS Black 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

6 hours ago, Ironman_32 said:

On Tiger:

I think he's kind of like Phil in 2021. Outside of the PGA, Phil had a horrible year, I believe the PGA was his only top ten and something like ~70% of his on course earnings was from the PGA. Mainly, Tiger needs to be locked into a tournament for him to get a win now. It has to go perfect for him for four rounds. I think he doesn't want to push anything, so as soon as something bad happens in a round he's shutting it down. Basically, he has to be in the lead or by the lead in the first round, and I don't know if even that will happen. Time will tell, has to happen at Augusta or the British. 

On Daly;

I think it gets crossed in our minds because most golfers use carts on weekends. It would be like if people played pick up basketball in Segways because they couldn't run, then an NBA player couldn't run and requested a Segway. I think Daly is somewhat good for the game because he draws in crowds, maybe some fans who aren't the best but it is what it is. Maybe a fun guy to watch, maybe a fun guy to play a round of golf with. But he's just a golfer, I don't think he has great insights into life (and thats okay), he appears to be the best father he can be, so that's something. Let's not kid ourselves though, if we all have/or had a kid, we wouldn't want them to live a life like John Daly, and that says something. Take away the golf, and he's just a sad old man. 

Exactly. I think this off-season is all about getting the game and body in shape for Augusta. Tiger knows that course better then anyone and it's all up to how his body feels

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Ironman_32 said:

Agree/disagree. Should the PGA tour relied less on Tiger and more on developing other players, yes. 

However, Tiger is so popular because he changed the game. It was like World War 1, in the beginning some countries were using Civil War Military tactics yet we had advanced weapons. That's what Tiger was, he took the game and made it more about power and made it cool versus what it had been. PGA tour can try all they want, guys like Scottie/Cam Smith/Cantlay aren't moving the needle like Tiger.  

Kids today don't recognize or relate to Tiger.  Media thinks it is a joke but like his son has said "Used to be good."  That is what all the kids relate to today.  It is like telling the younger generation that MJ is better than Lebron.  Most don't want to hear it, but the truth of the matter is Lebron can't hold MJ's jock.  They aren't moving the needle because the Marketing Department is lazy at the PGA.

• Like 3

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

23 hours ago, Ironman_32 said:

On Daly;

Daly is incredibly talented and also incredibly lazy. He's a functional alcoholic. He'll never change, and that makes him a hero to some, but his story is more about wasted potential than anything else. 

• Like 4

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

2 hours ago, heavy_hitter said:

Kids today don't recognize or relate to Tiger.  Media thinks it is a joke but like his son has said "Used to be good."  That is what all the kids relate to today.  It is like telling the younger generation that MJ is better than Lebron.  Most don't want to hear it, but the truth of the matter is Lebron can't hold MJ's jock.  They aren't moving the needle because the Marketing Department is lazy at the PGA.

"Kids today don't recognize or relate to Tiger."

^^^^^^This statement is totally ridiculous. Woods is still one of if thee most recognized sports figure in the world. Just ask Nelly Korda. You should check out the autograph line at a PGAT event....nothing but kids.

Tiger Woods, two times sports person of the year. That's saying something for a golfer.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Titleist99 said:

"Kids today don't recognize or relate to Tiger."

^^^^^^This statement is totally ridiculous. Woods is still one of if thee most recognized sports figure in the world. Just ask Nelly Korda. You should check out the autograph line at a PGAT event....nothing but kids.

Tiger Woods, two times sports person of the year. That's saying something for a golfer.

Not understanding your comment.  Nelly isn’t a kid.  A junior golfer doesn’t relate to Tiger.  Just telling you because I am in the scene.

Kids at a PGAt event will get an autograph from the caddie if they came out.  That holds no water.

6 minutes ago, heavy_hitter said:

Not understanding your comment.  Nelly isn’t a kid.  A junior golfer doesn’t relate to Tiger.  Just telling you because I am in the scene.

Kids at a PGAt event will get an autograph from the caddie if they came out.  That holds no water.

Yeah, TW is just too old for most young kids to relate to. 

Is like when I was kid a go crazy Reggie!

Couldn’t relate to Mickey Mantle even though he better player. 

Although, some athletes just have ridiculously massive legendary status in their sport like… Babe Ruth.

TW is prolly like that to kids. If they into golf they definitely in awe of TW and he’s still out there and plenty of media and video of his awesome moments.

Its not like Jack where there’s just not that much video of his play unfortunately 

• Thanks 1

After Phil's downfall and Tiger's health issues the champions tour is looking pretty bleak. Pretty sure they were banking on this class of guys propping them up.

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / AI SMOKE 21° + UB7 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SC PHNTM7.5

54 minutes ago, heavy_hitter said:

LOL!.....Nelly Korda is 24 yo..... to me that's a kid.

Guarantee you that any kid remotely connected to golf has seen Tiger Woods videos on YouTube or personally saw his 2019 Masters win at ANGC.

Stop being ridiculous......LOL!

Kids still relating/ recognize Gary Player.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/golf/a-junior-golfer-asked-gary-player-for-an-autograph-then-got-some-legendary-golf-advice/ar-AA15pTrN?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=88039c2b2eba4af1b7e4a8f8642928d0

Edited by Titleist99
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Titleist99 said:

LOL!.....Nelly Korda is 24 yo..... to me that's a kid.

Guarantee you that any kid remotely connected to golf has seen Tiger Woods videos on YouTube or personally saw his 2019 Masters win at ANGC.

Stop being ridiculous......LOL!

Kids still relating/ recognize Gary Player.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/golf/a-junior-golfer-asked-gary-player-for-an-autograph-then-got-some-legendary-golf-advice/ar-AA15pTrN?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=88039c2b2eba4af1b7e4a8f8642928d0

Huh?  You find an obscure article and really think this is the norm?  I don't think it is me that is the one being ridiculous.  

3 hours ago, bscinstnct said:

Yeah, TW is just too old for most young kids to relate to. 

Is like when I was kid a go crazy Reggie!

Couldn’t relate to Mickey Mantle even though he better player. 

Although, some athletes just have ridiculously massive legendary status in their sport like… Babe Ruth.

TW is prolly like that to kids. If they into golf they definitely in awe of TW and he’s still out there and plenty of media and video of his awesome moments.

Its not like Jack where there’s just not that much video of his play unfortunately 

Kids know who Tiger is for sure.  Just like they know who MJ is.  Tiger just isn't the face of the sport for them.  

35 minutes ago, heavy_hitter said:

Kids know who Tiger is for sure.  Just like they know who MJ is.  Tiger just isn't the face of the sport for them.  

LOL! LOL!  Now we're debating who the face of the sport is? First you said the kids don't recognize Tiger Woods.......then you admit that kids know who he is for sure. What's it going to be?

Edited by Titleist99
  • Haha 2