2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Callaway Paradym driver - 2022 QBE Shootout

On 3/9/2023 at 8:24 AM, joj said:

Quick update on the standard Paradym:

Played 18 yesterday and this thing just goes straight. The only fairways I missed were when I aimed off the fairway and tried to hit cuts or draws. They just wouldn’t turn back. Even toe shots go straight instead of the hook left. I’m pretty impressed but will need to figure out if I can shape some basic shots. 

I have the 9 degree turned down to 8. Got the HZRDUS silver/white 6.0. It has a pretty high torque, but for some reason isn’t too whippy. I’m getting along with it well. I also like how flat the face looks from heel to toe. I feel that a lot of drivers have too much bulge and roll. A flat face, subconsciously, gives me more confidence. When a face is too rounded, my brain tells me that there’s no way I can hit it square. I understand there is science behind it, but it just doesn’t inspire confidence. Imagine if your putter face was rounded, do you think you could start it on your line?

Anyway, very happy. I hit it high and straight. This wasn’t my home course, so I’m not sure if my distance is longer or shorter than previous drivers. Will update that later. 

Just want to jump in and share a similar experience.

I had a chance to demo the standard Paradym today — 9 degrees set to 8, Kai’li White 60S. I’m a low-150s ball speed guy at the moment.

Nobody else was around the bay, so I got to put a good 30-35 swings on it. All but one would have been in the fairway. (The one, I just came over the top, shut the face down and smothered. No club in the world could have stopped that from being a pull-hook.) 

It’s just super, super straight. Not much more to say about it. As long as I put a decent swing on it, it was automatic. I even hit one well into the heel where spin would ordinarily spike way up, and it stayed in the mid-2800s and was just a soft fade. Well-struck shots were spinning at 2000-2100. Launching at about 16 degrees, which is a bit high, but the spin was low enough that the carry distance was good and the consistency was absolutely there.

The sound and feel are great. Definitely soft/muted. 

I have a bunch of Callaway credit, so I’m thinking of ordering one of these to put head-to-head against my TSR3, winner stays. I’ve also demoed and been really impressed by the G430 LST. 

Driver: Ping G430 LST 9* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

3W: Ping G430 Max @14* | Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 70X

Hybrids: Ping G430 3H, 5H @25* | Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S

Irons: Ping i230 5-UW | Fujikura AXIOM 105X

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 54/12W@55/13W, 60/12X | Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Putter: Bettinardi 2024 BB1 Wide 

18 hours ago, Pleasedwith3putts said:

Noticeable how many used 9 degree TD's are for sale - not the case with 10.5s. With Rahm using a 10.5 in the +1 position you know getting the launch and spin window right in these means generally heading up in loft

That makes a ton of sense.  If I had my way, Id be in the 10.5 @ standard.  First time Ive lofted up on a driver in years... playing the 9* +1.   The neat thing about this driver, is even though I'm at +1 the face still sits open to my eye and I'm still hitting nice fades.  Neat stuff

🤖 A.I Smoke TD 10.5 w/ GD VF 5S

Sim 2 Ti 5W w/Diamana TB 70S

24 Apex UW w/Tensei 1K Pro Blue 70S

24 Apex Pro 4 Iron

24 Callaway JDM X -Forged 5-PW  Nippon Modus 105S 

Jaws Raw 50S, 54W, 58Z

Butter Putter

Chrome Tour X

18 hours ago, Pleasedwith3putts said:

Noticeable how many used 9 degree TD's are for sale - not the case with 10.5s. With Rahm using a 10.5 in the +1 position you know getting the launch and spin window right in these means generally heading up in loft

Rahm is not using the +1 setting. Pics of his gamer are a few pages back. He’s S/N setting. 

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Mizuno OMOI Type 3

Titleist Pro V1x

11 hours ago, noodle3872 said:

Rahm is not using the +1 setting. Pics of his gamer are a few pages back. He’s S/N setting. 

He had it set +1 this week before the WD.

• Like 2

OEM Certified Master Fitter

"Never forget that the luxury of being
wrong is not enough to make you right."
WITB Link

6 hours ago, bcflyguy1 said:

He had it set +1 this week before the WD.

Interesting…..where is this documented?

EDIT: found the pic in Rahm’s Players WITB. I was incorrect and now stand corrected.

Edited by noodle3872
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Mizuno OMOI Type 3

Titleist Pro V1x

On 3/11/2023 at 3:04 AM, Pleasedwith3putts said:

I bought the 10.5 with the tour/strong adaptor (gives you up to 2 degrees de-loft). I assumed I would need to crank it down but it is pretty much perfect at the standard setting. 

Was playing a TSi3 10 degree set to -.75 previously. 

I should have my TD 10.5° and standard Paradym 10.5° with 21G back weight in hand this week. I went with the Tour Strong adapter on Tensei 1K Pro White 60S. In my testing TD in -1/N was perfect 2200 rpm with 15° launch. The standard head launched the same but had 2650 rpm in -1/N. Being able able to drop more loft will make the standard head a heck of an option too. 

Mizuno OMOI Type 3

Titleist Pro V1x

On 3/11/2023 at 3:04 AM, Pleasedwith3putts said:

Sounds like I'm an outlier. Fit in the 8 and -1. Hitting up 5-6 probably has something to do with it 

• Like 2
  •  💎💎💎 8* Paradym playing at 7*, ADUB 7X, tipped 1," VF7TX tipped .5"
  • Qi Tour 5W at 16.5, HZRDUS 80g 6.5, playing 43.25"
  • T200 2i Utility, HZRDUS 105x tipped .5"
  • 770 4I, P7MC 5-PW,  PX LS 6.5 
  • SM9 50.08F, SM8 55.11S, SM9 60.06 T
  • , Odyssey Ten Ball 

i have the 9 and set +2 actually. i have the 14g in back and a 7g in front. 

Taylormade Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 10*) / Denali Black 60TX

Taylormade Qi10 Tour / 3w (dialed 1 notch higher) / HZRDUS RDX Smoke Green 85 6.5

Taylormade P-DHY / 2i / Tensei Pro White 100TX
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW (3* weak) / KBS Tour X

Cleveland RTX6 / 54, 58 (full face2) / DG TI Spinner

Odyssey Jailbird AI Cruiser 40"

Waiting on my standard model to get back from hotmelt, but testing with TD 9* has gone well. N/S cog with 10g F/8g R, Ventus Red 7x tipped 1", 45.5" EoG

Standard model was a little spinny at stock weight. Sent it out for 5g add up front. 

TSR4 8*, Accra RPG 362 M5 & Ventus Red 7x

Sim Rocket 14*, Accra TZ6 75 M5

790 2i UDI (2021), Accra TZ5 105 M5

Srixon ZX7 4 - PW, Modus 120 TX

Callaway JAWS 50, 54, 60,  x100 DG

1/1 Lajosi DD-201 WB, Stability Tour blackout 

The TD 10.5 head has been a real surprise. I’ve always played the more forgiving option and came from a TSi2 and a Sim max before it both in 9 degrees.

I went with the AD TP in 6x and played the first round with it set -1 and results were average. I played again yesterday and played it in the standard 10.5 setting with the heavy weight back and was blown away by how forgiving and long it was. I missed 2 fairways all day with it and one miss was about as high toe as you can get. I was expecting a severe duck hook and it was just a slight push that held its line. (Short 30 yards mind you but it was to be expected with that bad of a miss)

Love the look and feel of the smaller head and the abundance of carbon has it very muted. Middled strikes sound so much better than the TSi2 I had previously. 

If you’re on the fence with the TD or are concerned with forgiveness it really isn’t that much different once you find the right set up for your swing 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MagicMan79 said:

Waiting on my standard model to get back from hotmelt, but testing with TD 9* has gone well. N/S cog with 10g F/8g R, Ventus Red 7x tipped 1", 45.5" EoG

Standard model was a little spinny at stock weight. Sent it out for 5g add up front. 

Old SZ or Rogue weights, or did you buy new single Paradym weights to test with?

• , Odyssey Ten Ball 

1 minute ago, 70sinsight said:

Old SZ or Rogue weights, or did you buy new single Paradym weights to test with?

They are all the same. I just order mine on Amazon or ebay

1 minute ago, MagicMan79 said:

They are all the same. I just order mine on Amazon or ebay

I've sold both of mine when I traded in my Callaways. Should have learned my lesson. Have you found ones that match the Paradym color? Only ones I can find are from Shaft connect and are ungodly expensive. The last sets I got were around $60-70

• , Odyssey Ten Ball 

7 minutes ago, 70sinsight said:

I've sold both of mine when I traded in my Callaways. Should have learned my lesson. Have you found ones that match the Paradym color? Only ones I can find are from Shaft connect and are ungodly expensive. The last sets I got were around $60-70

I havent but (but didnt really look) I am all function over form so the colors never really bothered me. I'll take the $10-$12 ones from eBay all day

Edited by MagicMan79
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, dlow206 said:

i'm not the level of ball striker as the majority of WRXers, so i have a standard Paradym on the way.

was hitting it well during the fitting, let's see what happens in real life

The majority of WRXers arent the level of ball ball strikers they think they are so don't sweat it. 

Edited by buckeyefl
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

I'm currently playing the Rogue Max LS and I'm not considering changing this season, at least not until there are more used Paradym's on the market. 

I'm surprised that the footprint of both the standard and the X are quite stretched front-to-back. They have a similar profile to the Rogue Max D. 

I assume the TD has a more traditional footprint but I haven't waggled one yet. 

2 hours ago, me05501 said:

I'm currently playing the Rogue Max LS and I'm not considering changing this season, at least not until there are more used Paradym's on the market. 

I'm surprised that the footprint of both the standard and the X are quite stretched front-to-back. They have a similar profile to the Rogue Max D. 

I assume the TD has a more traditional footprint but I haven't waggled one yet. 

the TD is a traditional footprint at address for sure. think - titleist 910D3/TSR3/TM superquad

• Like 1

Taylormade Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 10*) / Denali Black 60TX

Taylormade Qi10 Tour / 3w (dialed 1 notch higher) / HZRDUS RDX Smoke Green 85 6.5

Taylormade P-DHY / 2i / Tensei Pro White 100TX
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW (3* weak) / KBS Tour X

Cleveland RTX6 / 54, 58 (full face2) / DG TI Spinner

Odyssey Jailbird AI Cruiser 40"

1 hour ago, gioguy21 said:

the TD is a traditional footprint at address for sure. think - titleist 910D3/TSR3/TM superquad

The TD is a little more triangular in shape to my eye than a TSr3 but yes the TD is more traditional of a footprint overal. Every Paradym (regular version) I have held sits closed and I can't get past that. 

:taylormade-small: Qi10 LS Driver 10.5D (Ventus Blue w/ Velocore+ 6x) 
:taylormade-small: Qi10 3 Fairway 15.0D (Project X Denali 70x) 

Callaway   Apex UW 19.0D (RDX Smoke 85x)
:taylormade-small: P7MC/P770 Irons (KBS $-Taper 120s) (5-PW)/(4i) Lamkin Crossline Cord (All Metals / Irons)
 :taylormade-small:MG4 Wedges 50.09, 56.12, 60.08 (KBS $-Taper 120s)
Odyssey   Jailbird Cruiser modified to regular. 34.6" w/ SuperStroke 3.0 17"/ 5g weights

Callaway just posted this video with McNealy and JW and LOL.

First of all McNealy is like THE MOST pedantic and specific equipment player on the planet. He has guys on the tour truck SHAVE DOWN corners of his driver body with the wedge grinding wheel so it sits differently. Like holy. You can tell how much he hates the Paradym X and TD models in the video. He doesnt even want to hit them after the first 1-2 strikes but he has to for the video 😂

Second - they start the video with him hitting the Paradym 'standard' but its really the tour-only version with the front weight 🙄 he goes on to say how good it is but its not available for retail. Oops - but the viewers dont know that.

And last McNealy hits the TD model and its SO low spin as has been claimed several times in this thread and by data on the setups we've seen. Sure, it might not be for some people - but overall it's just a rebirth of the Sub Zero aka the TD S from last year. Whatever they want to call it...

The true 'TD' model was last yeard Rogue ST TD (non S or LS) model IMO.

Edited by third-times-a-charm
  • Like 2

AITD MAX  10.5° + UB6 AIMAX 16.5° + 21° + 24° + UB6+7+8 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / JWS RW + MODUS120 / SPDRL-NCK+ CT 120

9 hours ago, ram01002 said:

JW has to regret the “every tour player will be in one of these retail models ” statement. I would assume he got some bad info in December and now it’s too late to take it back. The new drivers look good, but they do seem a little finicky in terms of fitting. 

Top-down transparency is an issue in the company the last year or two.

• Like 2

WITB Link

So I was ready to give up on my Paradym TD until yesterday. I ordered direct from Callaway with a Tour AD TP at 45". It swing weighted to D4 but when I weighed the head, it was only 194 grams. The weights were standard 14/2 in the head. Does Callaway tip weight to get to proper SW instead of changing the weights? Anyway, it just didn't feel right and was very unstable. I decided to tip up a Tour Green Aldila (same shaft weight, length, but a slightly higher balance point than the AD TP). The SW was D0-D1, so I swapped the 2 gram weight with a 10 gram weight and this head came alive. Total head weight now 204 grams and D5 SW. Balancing the weights out and getting the total head weight up made all the difference. I'm going to pull the adapter tonight on the AD TP, it has to have a tip weight due to the SW differences between the two shafts. 

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5° | Tensei Pro Orange 60 S

Taylormade BRNR Mini 13.5° | Hzrdus Yellow 75 6.5

Callaway AI Smoke TD 18° | Tensei AV White 85 S

Callaway XR Pro 23° | Tour AD DI 95 X
Maltby TS1 IM/TS4 5-PW | Dynamic Gold S300
Cleveland RTX 6: 50° 56° 60° | KBS Tour Custom 120 S Black 

Toulon First Run Memphis

6 minutes ago, coreyhr said:

So I was ready to give up on my Paradym TD until yesterday. I ordered direct from Callaway with a Tour AD TP at 45". It swing weighted to D4 but when I weighed the head, it was only 194 grams. The weights were standard 14/2 in the head. Does Callaway tip weight to get to proper SW instead of changing the weights? Anyway, it just didn't feel right and was very unstable. I decided to tip up a Tour Green Aldila (same shaft weight, length, but a slightly higher balance point than the AD TP). The SW was D0-D1, so I swapped the 2 gram weight with a 10 gram weight and this head came alive. Total head weight now 204 grams and D5 SW. Balancing the weights out and getting the total head weight up made all the difference. I'm going to pull the adapter tonight on the AD TP, it has to have a tip weight due to the SW differences between the two shafts. 

Correct. Callaway will add 2-4g of tip weight to reach SW for OEM website builds but that’s it. 14g is the heaviest retail weight they make so they can’t go higher than that and they won’t change the 2g weight as it defeats the purpose of the weight switching functionality.

AITD MAX  10.5° + UB6 AIMAX 16.5° + 21° + 24° + UB6+7+8 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / JWS RW + MODUS120 / SPDRL-NCK+ CT 120

11 hours ago, third-times-a-charm said:

First of all McNealy is like THE MOST pedantic and specific equipment player on the planet. He has guys on the tour truck SHAVE DOWN corners of his driver body with the wedge grinding wheel so it sits differently. Like holy. You can tell how much he hates the Paradym X and TD models in the video. He doesnt even want to hit them after the first 1-2 strikes but he has to for the video 😂

Second - they start the video with him hitting the Paradym 'standard' but its really the tour-only version with the front weight 🙄 he goes on to say how good it is but its not available for retail. Oops - but the viewers dont know that.

And last McNealy hits the TD model and its SO low spin as has been claimed several times in this thread and by data on the setups we've seen. Sure, it might not be for some people - but overall it's just a rebirth of the Sub Zero aka the TD S from last year. Whatever they want to call it...

Callaway should have released the the Std. Paradym with the front as their lower spin model and then came out with what they have as TD at retail as a limited offering later down the road. Gotta love how they deceive the viewer into thinking its a std. retail paradym. 

• Like 1
:taylormade-small: Qi10 LS Driver 10.5D (Ventus Blue w/ Velocore+ 6x) 
:taylormade-small: Qi10 3 Fairway 15.0D (Project X Denali 70x) 

Callaway   Apex UW 19.0D (RDX Smoke 85x)
:taylormade-small: P7MC/P770 Irons (KBS $-Taper 120s) (5-PW)/(4i) Lamkin Crossline Cord (All Metals / Irons)
 :taylormade-small:MG4 Wedges 50.09, 56.12, 60.08 (KBS $-Taper 120s)
Odyssey   Jailbird Cruiser modified to regular. 34.6" w/ SuperStroke 3.0 17"/ 5g weights

4 minutes ago, third-times-a-charm said:

Correct. Callaway will add 2-4g of tip weight to reach SW for OEM website builds but that’s it. 14g is the heaviest retail weight they make so they can’t go higher than that and they won’t change the 2g weight as it defeats the purpose of the weight switching functionality.

Gotcha, thanks. I understand the weight differential in order to affect spin and launch properties. For me at least, that's a determent to the head rather than a positive. I haven't checked all the Tour WITB's, but I remember seeing Rahm was playing a weight combo that was more balanced as well. I was just shocked how much better it felt and the ball flight was so stable. Went from low spinning (and left) ducks falling out of the air with the weight forward (and hollow feeling, sporadic start lines with the weight back), to point and shoot with an extremely stable ball flight and the perfect launch and spin. I'm just saying, if this head isn't working for you, experiment with the weight configuration rather than just swapping the 14 and 2 back and forth. 

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5° | Tensei Pro Orange 60 S

Taylormade BRNR Mini 13.5° | Hzrdus Yellow 75 6.5

Callaway AI Smoke TD 18° | Tensei AV White 85 S

Callaway XR Pro 23° | Tour AD DI 95 X
Maltby TS1 IM/TS4 5-PW | Dynamic Gold S300
Cleveland RTX 6: 50° 56° 60° | KBS Tour Custom 120 S Black 

Toulon First Run Memphis

13 hours ago, third-times-a-charm said:

What truly bothers me in this video, is in the beginning Mav grabs the standard "tour" model, starts talking about it, and then thery show us some close-up shots of the freakin retail head.   It's just blatant false representation and totally misleading.   You can clearly see he is testing the tour head.  🤢 

Edited by Avidswampthing66
  • Like 1

🤖 A.I Smoke TD 10.5 w/ GD VF 5S

Sim 2 Ti 5W w/Diamana TB 70S

24 Apex UW w/Tensei 1K Pro Blue 70S

24 Apex Pro 4 Iron

24 Callaway JDM X -Forged 5-PW  Nippon Modus 105S 

Jaws Raw 50S, 54W, 58Z

Butter Putter

Chrome Tour X

37 minutes ago, Avidswampthing66 said:

What truly bothers me in this video, is in the beginning Mav grabs the standard "tour" model, starts talking about it, and then show us some close-up shots of the freakin retail head.   It's just blatant false representation and totally misleading.   You can clearly see his is testing the tour head.  🤢 

Yeah, I was cringing really hard throughout this one. Not a great look for the company at all. I believe JW when he says the Tour head Mav and Rose are playing isn't THAT different, but obviously it's not nothing or that head wouldn't exist in the first place.

The lid will soon come off some more stuff from Callaway that will certainly cause some sideways looks and head scratching. Gonna need a semi trailer to haul all the stuff to a fitting day if this keeps up. Giving me some really unpleasant flashbacks to when I got into the fitting game with TaylorMade just in time for the abominations that were R1, RBZ Stage 2, SLDR, JetSpeed, RocketBladez, and ATV wedges.

Signs and wonders...

no country for old men film GIF

WITB Link