2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

General putting questions for good putters

1. What do you look at? (E.g. do you watch the ball roll, stare straight through the ball, etc.)

2. What grip do you use and how hard are you gripping (1-10)?
3. How do you power your stroke? (E.g. do you use your shoulders, are you handsy, etc.)
4. What are some of the best drills to get you deadly on the putting green?

Long story short, I've been experimenting a little bit with different grips, different feels, and different thoughts. However, I'm still struggling to find something comfortable. Any help or advice is appreciated!

• Like 1

TM SIM 8* Ventus Black 6x

Titleist TS2 16.5* Ventus Black 7x

Mizuno MP-32 3-PW S300

Titleist Vokey SM6 52*F, 56*F, 60*S
Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless NP2 34/340g

1. I am looking at a spot below the ball. I still like the classic idea of imagining a coin under the ball and I need to see if it is heads or tails after I make the putt. When I am putting really well, I often miss seeing even a 10ft putt go in the hole as I am still looking at the spot.

2.Prayer Grip. Like 2 or 3. 

3.Shoulder rock (but I don't think about mechanics much or often)

4.Best drill for me:

Set up 5 locations 36" from a practice hole all around it with a ball mark on each (basically a putter length away). Then attempt to hole X putts out of 100. Keep doing the drill until you make your goal or run out of time. For me the goal is 95/100. When you get down to the last 10 or so putts you get to practice with some nerves as might only have 1 or 2 misses left before being forced to start over. This is the key part as practicing putting with no consequences does not help you out on the greens.

When you get this drill going it free's everything else up as you have great confidence on short putts. You can be a bit more aggressive and not worry about come back puts and the hole turns into a 7ft across circle that if you get the ball in to the next putt is automatic. 

• Like 1

1) i used to follow the ball but lately I've been coming out of my stance thus hitting crappy putts. So ive been waiting till the putting motion is over till I peek.

2) using a double overlap of grip. Helps lock my wrists. I don't like much wrist action in my stroke. 

3)shoulder rocker here. 

4) been ages since I've really done a drill but ladder drills and line drills are my typical ones. 

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

1 hour ago, SNIPERBBB said:

1) i used to follow the ball but lately I've been coming out of my stance thus hitting crappy putts. So ive been waiting till the putting motion is over till I peek.

2) using a double overlap of grip. Helps lock my wrists. I don't like much wrist action in my stroke. 

3)shoulder rocker here. 

4) been ages since I've really done a drill but ladder drills and line drills are my typical ones. 

Ladder is great for lag putt work. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nikegolfer93 said:

1. What do you look at? (E.g. do you watch the ball roll, stare straight through the ball, etc.)

3. How do you power your stroke? (E.g. do you use your shoulders, are you handsy, etc.)

Long story short, I've been experimenting a little bit with different grips, different feels, and different thoughts. However, I'm still struggling to find something comfortable. Any help or advice is appreciated!

1. Nothing, really. Sometimes on shorter (inside 10' or so) I'm looking at a spot just in front of the ball over which I want to roll the ball. Otherwise, I'm just looking down near the ball with a sort of "fuzzy focus."
  2. Reverse double overlap, and much lighter than my full swing grip. I have full control, but I'm not squeezing it.
  3. Elbows. Shoulders move slightly, sternum doesn't move at all.
  4. Work on your speed/distance control.
  • Like 2

Erik J. Barzeski | Erie, PA

GEARS • GCQuad MAX/FlightScope • SwingCatalyst/BodiTrak

I like the truth and facts. I don't deal in magic grits: 29. #FeelAintReal

"Golf is the only game in which a precise knowledge of the rules can earn one a reputation for bad sportsmanship." — Pat Campbell

1. I generally gaze at the front of the ball. I sort of set a peripheral focus on my putter grip as a reminder to putt the handle and not the putter head. On putts where soft speed is needed, I'll focus on the back of the ball and try to softly contact the back of ball and then quickly stop the putter head 

2. Ss pistol gt 1.0 and I use pencil/claw. I think it's technically called a pencil grip but I call all.of them claw. Grip pressure is tight enough to control things and loose enough to maintain feel. 

3. When I get handsy then I drill a shoulder stroke. When I get too shoulder dominated then I'll focus on about 70% control using my right hand. My preferred feel is to have most of my feel in my forearms. I lole a locked lead wrist and putt the handle with my forearms. 

4. I putt 5 to 10 footers where I get the ball to barely die over the edge. Then into the hole without touching the back edge. Then firm into the back edge. I do 80% of my putting practice 10' and in. I use the line on the ball so I'll practice a good bit with the line so it's 2nd nature on the course. 

Edited by getitdaily

1.  When I'm making my actual putting stroke my eyes are just generally down not focused on any one spot, but back of the ball would be the closest point I'm looking at.

2. Overlapping grip, only because the Jumbomax grip isn't quite long enough and with my previously used interlocking grip my right hand didn't fit all the way in the grip (I use an armlock putter and apparently have long forearms)

3. Shoulders drive the stroke for me

4. Anything to drill speed control and 3 putt avoidance

1. What do you look at? (E.g. do you watch the ball roll, stare straight through the ball, etc.)  I look down at the ball and keep my eyes in that spot until I'm done with the stroke.  I believe that looking up too fast to take a peek is detrimental for putting. 

2. What grip do you use and how hard are you gripping (1-10)?  Conventional grip and about 7 for grip pressure.
3. How do you power your stroke? (E.g. do you use your shoulders, are you handsy, etc.)  Arc stroke using mostly my shoulders.  When I'm on, I make everything from 5 feet in.  When my stroke gets too handsy, I tend to pull putts.
4. What are some of the best drills to get you deadly on the putting green?  No drills.  I just put a lot of time into practicing putting when I go to the range.  I have also adopted Aimpoint Express last year and it's been a game changer. 

I believe that the putting stroke needs to be fundamentally solid first and foremost.  You can be the best green reader in the world, but you ain't making crap if you're hitting it all over the face.  Picking the right putter with the correct specs for your stroke is also very important. 

Edited by phizzy30

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM Qi10 Tour 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

I think you’re missing an important question and that’s the style of putter. That could influence question 2 and 3. 

Bettinardi Queen B #12

1. Not sure what I’m looking at. The position of the eye line is important but mine aren’t hyper focused on anything during the motion.

2. Reverse overlap. I was a terrible putter for years and adopting this grip was step one in changing that. Grip pressure is just enough to make sure the putter head is stable and not wobbling. Probably 3 or 4 out of 10. 

3. Shoulders or the upper spine drive the stroke. There is no active wrist action. 

4. Gate drill. Can’t stress this enough. Using a putting mirror with holes for tees makes setting up the gate easier. 

15 hours ago, nikegolfer93 said:

1.  My eyes are behind the ball and on the line I want to roll it on. 

2. Reverse overlap, relaxed hands. 

3. Pendulum stroke, the pivot point is a little left of my belly button. rib cage powers the stroke. Keep the butt of the club pointed at the pivot point. 

Pendulums are used to regulate clocks. They are reliable and dependable. 

4. Normal practice routine and see 1,2 and 3.

5. Don't be rigid over a putt by freezing your body. Let your belly button swing. 

1. I tend to look directly at the ball until well after it's gone ... Have also had success using Dave Stockton's method of looking 2-3 inches in front if ball, down the line, to see ball get started down proper path.

2. I use interlock, same as on all my other shots. I like consistency. Grip pressure of holding a bird.

3. I start the stroke with my right hand, but power comes from the arms. Distance control comes from the mental image of rolling the ball to the hole with my right hand.

4. I practice 5 footers, mainly ... Advice came from Brandt Snedeker I read somewhere. His logic was if you can make that, you can make anything. Plus, if you're confident with those, you can be more aggressive with your longer putts. 

Driver: Titleist TS3, 8.5°

2 Wood: Adams InSight XTD, 10.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Cleveland UHX, 20°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Bettinardi inovai 6.0 slant neck, 34"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

1.) At the ball, eyes follow ball to see if it hits my aim point - head stays down til it’s past that point. Last look is at my aim spot. 
2.) Interlocking, same grip as my regular clubs.  Light pressure, this is random but I take a practice stroke with the golf ball in my right hand with just my fingertips on the grip - it helps me keep my hands light.  I like smaller grip size (like the Ping PP58 that tiger uses) but I need some grip so I have a corded/grippy version. 
3.) Shoulders.  However I now have a “lift” as my trigger (Rickie Fowler used to do this). My hands used to get super active and tense and I had problems getting my backstroke started on the right path.  Lifting the putter takes the tension away. Been really helpful for me. 
4.) Gate Drill - the best drill ever.  Star drill. Any number of lag/speed control drills.

16 hours ago, nikegolfer93 said:

1.  Currently looking at the area of the ball until well past impact.  I've had success just putting the ball in the "center of my gaze" vs. trying to super-focus in on one dimple or something else that is tiny, but YMMV.  Also a HUGE fan of heads up putting (looking at the hole vs. ball), just haven't been able to quite get it dialed in enough to make the switch full time.

2. Varies between reverse overlap and regular overlap, somedays one just feels more comfortable than the other.  I grip it just tight enough where the impact collision with the ball doesn't make it feel like it moves the grip in my hands.  Looser feels awful at impact and tighter impedes my stroke.  

3. I use my core muscles to move my entire upper sternum all "together."  That isn't what actually happens, especially on longer strokes, but it is what it feels like and works like a charm.  

4. Practice from 8' and in at home on a mat where there is no pressure, no grain, no imperfect greens, heck, no hole even, no nothing just you and your stroke.  Get "bulletproof" until you feel like you can't miss.  Then when you get to the course, putt some 3'ers and 4'ers all with different breaks to transfer the "home" skill to the course.  For lag putting, ladder drills, pull back drills, putting to the fringe instead of a hole, anything really and Pelz came up with a ton of them back in the day.  Also, spend the absolute LEAST amount of time doing what most people do: lacadasically hitting a few 20'ers that make you look like a great putter if they don't go in, but also don't look bad if you miss them.  There is not a single bigger waste of practice time in the entire game of golf.  

GOOD LUCK!

• Like 2

AI Smoke TD 9° w/HZRDUS Yellow

Epic Flash 12.5° w/Voodoo VS

'24 Apex UW 19° w/Rogue Silver

Epic Flash 20° w/VS Proto 
'19 Apex Pro 5-9 w/DG

MD2 47° & 52° + PM 1.0 58° & 64° w/DG
Odyssey White Hot 2 Ball Frankenstein (Fowler style)
[img]http://pxc86358mpx1hyn3hdxen4o1.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/171831.png[/img]

I haven’t historically been a great putter but this video about finding the correct grip for you completely transformed my putting. It talks about the claw but I found an alternative that I like better that gets my hands in the position he talks about. It made my stroke automatic. Definitely worth a watch if you’re tweaking things.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEo01REfpX4

35 minutes ago, MPStrat said:

Lots of light grip pressure and “shoulder” strokes with no intentional wrist action among the good putters on here. 

80% of people think they are above average drivers.

I guess it depends on your definition of good. 🙂

76% of people don’t understand math, and the other 2/3rds don’t care.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

i don’t need no stinkin’ shift key

1.) Soft focus staring at basically nothing. 

2.) Standard reverse overlap. Grip a little lighter on pressure than a full swing. Probably 8.5/10 on the grip pressure. 

3.) No idea-I let the putterhead swing.

4.) Gate drill (solid contact), 4 coin drill (speed control), 6-6-12 (pressure/performance). 

Add on: 6-6-12 is the following. Pick two random 6 footers to a hole and a 12 footer to a hole (all different, random angles). 6 footers are for par, 12 footers are for birdie. Repeat at two more holes for a total of 9 holes. Goal is to shoot -1 or better. If you shoot even or worse, repeat until you get a score under par. 

Edited by b.mattay
  • Like 1

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS (8), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX 

Taylormade SLDR Mini (12), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX

Titleist TSi2 (18), Tensei AV Raw White 85TX

Srixon U85 (22), PX 6.5

Ping i210 (5-UW), X100

Mizuno T20 (55.09, 60.06), S400

DFX 2 Ball Blade 

Srixon Z-Star XV

Double overlap, shoulder rock. I don't really think about grip pressure. 

I pick a spot about a foot away from the ball. I almost always hit that spot (I really can't recall ever missing it). I look at the ball directly and my spot peripherally. (Being right handed and left eye dominant probably makes this easier.)

I think reading the putt, in detail, is the most important aspect of putting, and it's the most fun. 

Having a simple and easily calibrated stroke, that you can stick to, is one's best hope for being able to control speed.

My putter is my favorite club. I absolutely love it and I think that helps. It's no substitute for the necessary skills. It just adds to the pleasure.

E7B191FF-89EE-4BC7-92A2-028FBCB6B431.jpeg

• Like 1

Over the years I have done everything mentioned so far at one time or another.  I have also used a long putter, arm locked and tons of other stuff.  Pretty much everything worked pretty well LOL.

Currently I use a balanced putter that I modified which is the same as LAB or lie angle balanced.  This putter lets me make an arms controlled stroke successfully and I pretty much just swing the putter head feeling the stroke in my trail hand.  I also watch the putter head during the stroke which is supposed to be a bad thing but it works for me.  

The most important thing for me is my focus which is on the hole or more specifically the pin or a spot inside the hole during the stroke.  When I can let go of the outcome and just let myself putt I can do pretty well.  I often get over a 'pressure' putt with some distance and break and realize that I have no conscious idea how to make it.  LOL I simply tell myself that maybe my trial hand knows and I then I turn off my brain as much as possible and let it go.  

I guess that sounds a bit ridiculous but it seems to work for me.

I also putt my best when I do this drill and  then practice straight putts on the mat for a while:

In the end putting is very individual and there is not right or wrong as long as the putts are dropping.

• Like 1

Here is what I strive for. Consistent tempo and to make sure every putt has that " going in " look even when I miss.

Tempo is a four count,  glance at my line (1) slight forward press (2)

take the putter back on (3) stroke it on (4). Only the length will vary.

Don't obsess over line, do obsess over speed. When you get speed right the line automatically gets better.

I use reverse overlap, 5 to 6 grip pressure, thin grip, blade putter.

Standard stuff, don't worry about birdie putts and avoid 3 putts as they are round wreckers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fuscinator said:

Double overlap, shoulder rock. I don't really think about grip pressure. 

I pick a spot about a foot away from the ball. I almost always hit that spot (I really can't recall ever missing it). I look at the ball directly and my spot peripherally. (Being right handed and left eye dominant probably makes this easier.)

I think reading the putt, in detail, is the most important aspect of putting, and it's the most fun. 

Having a simple and easily calibrated stroke, that you can stick to, is one's best hope for being able to control speed.

My putter is my favorite club. I absolutely love it and I think that helps. It's no substitute for the necessary skills. It just adds to the pleasure.

E7B191FF-89EE-4BC7-92A2-028FBCB6B431.jpeg

Holy s*** that thing's a dinosaur.  Pavin used an old Bull's Eye putter and was one of the best for his generation.  Whatever works............

• Haha 2

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM Qi10 Tour 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

I believe that Jack Nicklaus method can work well for most players. He addressed the ball with his head set well behind it. This helped his aim , and also helped his release through impact.

In contrast, when a players head is set even with the ball (not behind it like Nicklaus did) there is a tendency to get tense and ball bound, which can lead to a yippy type stab at the ball.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Zitlow said:

1.  My eyes are behind the ball and on the line I want to roll it on. 

2. Reverse overlap, relaxed hands. 

3. Pendulum stroke, the pivot point is a little left of my belly button. rib cage powers the stroke. Keep the butt of the club pointed at the pivot point. 

Pendulums are used to regulate clocks. They are reliable and dependable. 

4. Normal practice routine and see 1,2 and 3.

5. Don't be rigid over a putt by freezing your body. Let your belly button swing. 

You've written some very good stuff here. I like it because when the torso (rib cage) is engaged this will reduce tension,  promote a proper arcing path for the putter head, which in turn produces the desired end over end roll of the ball. Crenshaw and Loren Roberts putted great using the technique you've described.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Louis_Posture said:

You've written some very good stuff here. I like it because when the torso (rib cage) is engaged this will reduce tension,  promote a proper arcing path for the putter head, which in turn produces the desired end over end roll of the ball. Crenshaw and Loren Roberts putted great using the technique you've described.

What is a “proper” arc? Crenshaw’s stroke is/was like an infinity symbol.

How can an arc produce an end-over-end roll? Almost all putters produce backspin at impact. The ball bounce and skid ~15% to 20% of the distance to the hole before true roll.

The common threads among good putters has little to do with the things discussed. Just a lot of words.

It’s the consistent objective 3D geometry of the putter at impact. It’s the path, the face, the loft delivered, the impact point on the face, the acceleration and the flatness of the vertical arc through impact.

How you get to impact in the full swing is important, but with putting, how you get there is irrelevant to where the putter is and what it’s doing at impact. You do whatever works to get there.

If you don’t know what the goal is, how can you even begin to know how to get there?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

i don’t need no stinkin’ shift key

1. the back of the ball, as that's what I'm hitting.

2. interlocking. 5/10

3. why would I ever think about that.

4. indoors, roll it on a 48" steel ruler, if you can your stroke is fine. On  a putting green, clock drill 3-6ft,  for speed/pace I use 1 ball (you only ever get 1 chance) from all over the putting green, different breaks, distances, making a competitive game of it is even better. 

1. What do you look at? (E.g. do you watch the ball roll, stare straight through the ball, etc.) I try to keep my eyes right over the spot where the putter strokes the ball.

2. What grip do you use and how hard are you gripping (1-10)? I use a traditional overlapping putting grip, and I grip it with a medium firm grip, much like my full and partial swing grip.

3. How do you power your stroke? (E.g. do you use your shoulders, are you handsy, etc.) Mostly a combination of the shoulders with a little bit of hands. I want to feel relaxed when putting, so I don't think about whether it's all shoulders or hands.

4. What are some of the best drills to get you deadly on the putting green? In my opinion the most important putt is the three-foot putt for par. It's a must-make putt so you don't bogey a hole, so it behooves you to practice that putt every chance you get. I work on it in my living room, and I've gotten pretty good at making short putts.

1. I'm looking at the whole ball trying to see the 'green circle' after the ball has gone. 

2. Conventional reverse overlap. 5 on the grip pressure, but not conscious of it really. 

3. Don't think about this? Hands maybe?

4. Ladder drills for speed & five ball spiral around 4 different holes - 4, 5, 6, 7 & 8ft putts from different lines around four different holes on the putting green, 20 putts total.  13 is a good score. 

No lines on the putter, no lines on the ball, see the putt and roll it. 

Edited by jumboross

Callaway Rogue St Max LS 9'
Titleist 915F 3 Wood Aldila Rogue Silver 70 15
Callaway Apex Pro 24 3,4,5 iron
Callaway Apex Pro CB 6 - 11 iron 
Vokey SM8 x 2
Scotty Cameron Newport

There is no shortage of putting advice on the physical side, ie., stroke, positions, yada yada yada, and who am I to cast dispersions on them as if the individual posting then says that they work, and he's putted under the gun, then god bless him and his advice.

That said, depending on where you are in developing a consistent reproducible RELIABLE stroke under the gun(pressure, and one's ability to withstand it, control it and defeat it is the ONLY yardstick that matters in this game, just as the ONLY statistic, data or number that matters is the number in the box on that card😉), once you have a consistent reproducible reliable stroke, the MENTAL aspect is what will allow you to take your physical stroke into the crucible and emerge successful. 

The one putting drill/exercise that is Platinum is @Dan Drake's #4, on the mat in your house, garage, office, etc.(I had mats in all three locations, lol). Set realistic goals, though goals that make you stretch and force you to concentrate and focus, and putt until you hit/exceed that goal/number. As my numbers grew, I would sometimes spend hours on the mat until I met/exceeded the goal that I'd set. You do not leave that mat until you hit/exceed that goal. 98%+ WILL NOT do that. If You wanna be in that less than 2% group, then you will do it🤙

Taking one's putting game to the course and applying it successfully takes thousands/tens of thousands of physical reps and putts and MORE mental/visualized reps!!! My choice as the 🐐, Jack, NEVER took a swing or stroke, on the line or on the course, without first seeing that swing/stroke and SUCCESSFUL shot in his mind's 👁️, prior to steeping into the box(his quote below). If, in your PSR visualization, you do not see your stroke and the ball's path clearly dropping into the hole, start over, go through your visualization again and do not step into the box unto you have successfully seen your putt drop into the cup, or in the case of a long lag putt, inside whatever circle ️ around the hole that you have set. 

I've got over 200 putting texts, and Juan's is THE single greatest book of drills that I own or have ever seen, and yah,  even before meeting him on the board, as he's a member and Super Class Act🤙, I had worn his paperback out, and was on my second book, lol. This Man has thrived inside the ultimate crucible, under the gun, and emerged as a World Champion!! Trust me Brotha, it'll be the best $9.95 that you will EVER spend on your game!! Yah, I'm one of the reviews and actually, at 4.6/5, Juan got screwed as it's a 5 All Day Every Day 7/365!!!

https://www.amazon.com/Make-More-Putts-Performance-Improvement/dp/151221244X

When you feel that you have a stroke that you can consistently repeat and consistently run putts with, it's time to take it to the next level, that less than 2% level, by developing your mental game to match your physical!!

A lil story about Jack~

He had just finished up on a Sunday round on the west coast swing of the Champions' Tour, where he ran a 4'er  on 18 that gave him a share of the lead and sent em over the hill in sudden death, where he lost on the second hole. So the reporter asked him if it was any more difficult to run a 4'er at his age(I think that he was mid 50's(56-58yo) versus when he was in his 20's and 30's? Jack laughed, looked around the tent and replied that a 4'er was a 4'er regardless of his age, and that he had never missed a 5'er or less with either the lead or the victory on the line in his professional career. The reporter, a tad stunned, as Jack had done exactly that just three(3) weeks before for a share of the lead on 17. The reporter looked around the tent then as gingerly as he could, asked Jack about that very putt, a 4 1/2'er that lipped out.

Jack's smile disappeared, he leaned into the mike🎤 and stated, "as I just said, I have NEVER(for emphasis) missed a 5' or less putt with either the lead or the Tournament on the line." Obviously the reporter could see that this exchange was going nowhere good fast, so he thanked Jack, wished him well and started moving to the rear of the tent and the exit when he encountered renowned mental coach/shrink, Bob Rotella, where he asked Rotella if he heard their exchange and was aware of the missed 4 1/2'er from three weeks prior that Jack refused to acknowledge. 

He told the reporter that indeed, he remembered it as clearly as if Jack had missed it that day. He then told the reporter that THAT was the difference between the reporter, Rotella, and practically every single person who knew of the miss. All of these people REMEMBERED the miss!!!

Not only did Jack not remember that miss, or any other, in his mind, IT DID NOT EVEN OCCUR!!!

THAT was the difference tween Jack and the pack!!

All of the 2%er are Great putters with Great swings & strokes, just as if you walk to the line or practice green on Wednesday at any Tour event, EVERY swing/stroke that you see, EVERY shot that you see is most likely the absolute best that you've seen in your life, yet about half of those guys that you watched are gonna be slammin trunks Friday night!! What, did they forget how to swing and/or putt from Wednesday to Thursday??

Hardly!!

The ones that thrive are those with the best mental games!!!

Ask Juan or Dan😉

Fairways & Greens 4ever My Friend

RP

A96E7F42-06C8-421F-8534-5A1F2B313205.jpeg

4FB9969A-702E-4066-BDC8-7F71E4B7ECDB.jpeg

08758FF3-F772-4E1B-A5F5-0CB36328DDC9.jpeg

FD38A430-10C2-490D-9242-F985155DC452.jpeg

Edited by Forged4ever
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

1 hour ago, Forged4ever said:

There is no shortage of putting advice on the physical side, ie., stroke, positions, yada yada yada, and who am I to cast dispersions on them as if the individual posting then says that they work, and he's putted under the gun, then god bless him and his advice.

That said, depending on where you are in developing a consistent reproducible RELIABLE stroke under the gun(pressure, and one's ability to withstand it, control it and defeat it is the ONLY yardstick that matters in this game, just as the ONLY statistic, data or number that matters is the number in the box on hat card😉), once you have a consistent reproducible reliable stroke, the MENTAL aspect is what will allow you to take your physical stroke into the crucible and emerge successful. 

The one putting drill/exercise that is Platinum is @Dan Drake's #4, on the mat in your house, garage, office, etc.(I had mats in all three locations, lol). Set realistic goals, though goals that make you stretch and force you to concentrate and focus, and putt until you hit/exceed that goal/number. As my numbers grew, I would sometimes spend hours on the mat until I met/exceeded the goal that i'd set. You do not leave that mat until you hit/exceed that goal. 98%+ WILL NOT do that. If You wanna be in that less than 2% group, then you will do it🤙

Taking one's putting game to the course and applying it successfully takes thousands/tens of thousands of physical reps and putts and MORE mental/visualized reps!!! My choice as the 🐐, Jack, NEVER took a swing or stroke, on the line or on the course, without first seeing that swing/stroke and SUCCESSFUL shot in his mind's 👁️, prior to steeping into the box(his quote below). If, in your PSR visualization, you do not see your stroke and the ball's path clearly dropping into the hole, start over, go through your visualization again and do not step into the box unto you have successfully seen your putt drop into the cup, or in the case of a long lag putt, inside whatever circle ️ around the hole that you have set. 

I've got over 200 putting texts, and Juan's is THE single greatest book of drills that I own or have ever seen, and ya, even before meeting him on the board, I had worn his paperback out, and was on my second book, lol. This Man has thrived inside the ultimate crucible, under the gun, and emerged as a World Champion!! Trust me Brotha, it'll be the best $9.95 that you will EVER spend on your game!! Yah, I'm one of the reviews and actually, at 4.6, Juan got screwed as it's a 5 All Day Every Day 7/365!!!

Well, that's about it😊

When you feel that you have a stroke that you can consistently repeat and consistently run putts with, it's time to take it to the next level, that less than 2% level, by developing your mental game to match your physical!!

A lil story about Jack~

He had just finished up on a Sunday round on the west coast swing of the Champions' Tour, where he ran a 4'er  on 18 that gave him a share of the lead and sent em over the hill in sudden death, where he lost on the second hole. So the reporter asked him if it was any more difficult to run a 4'er at his age(I think that he was mid 50's(56-58yo) versus when he was in his 20's and 30's? Jack laughed, looked around the tent and replied that a 4'er was a 4'er regardless of his age, and that he had never missed a 5'er or less with either the lead or the victory on the line in his professional career. The reporter, a tad stunned, as Jack had done exactly that just three(3) weeks before for a share of the lead on 17. The reporter looked around the tent then as gingerly as he could, asked Jack about that very putt, a 4 1/2'er that lipped out.

Jack's smile disappeared, he leaned into the mike🎤 and stated, "as I just said, I have NEVER(for emphasis) missed a 5' or less putt with either the lead or the Tournament on the line." Obviously the reporter could see that this exchange was going nowhere good fast, so he thanked Jack, wished him well and started moving to the rear of the tent and the exit when he encountered renowned mental coach/shrink, Bob Rotella, where he asked Rotella if he heard their exchange and was aware of the missed 4 1/2'er from three weeks prior that Jack refused to acknowledge. 

He told the reporter that indeed, he remembered it as clearly as if Jack had missed it that day. He then told the reporter that THAT was the difference between the reporter, Rotella, and practically every single person who knew of the miss. All of these people REMEMBERED the miss!!!

Not only did Jack not remember that miss, or any other, in his mind, IT DID NOT EVEN OCCUR!!!

THAT was the difference tween Jack and the pack!!

All of the 2%er are Great putters with Great swings & strokes, just as if you walk to the line or practice green on Wednesday at any Tour event, EVERY swing/stroke that you see, EVERY shot that you see is most likely the absolute best that you've seen in your life, yet about half of those guys that you watched are gonna be slammin trunks Friday night!! What, did they forget how to swing and/or putt from Wednesday to Thursday??

Hardly!!

The ones that thrive are those with the best mental games!!!

Ask Juan or Dan😉

Fairways & Greens 4ever My Friend

RP

A96E7F42-06C8-421F-8534-5A1F2B313205.jpeg

4FB9969A-702E-4066-BDC8-7F71E4B7ECDB.jpeg

08758FF3-F772-4E1B-A5F5-0CB36328DDC9.jpeg

FD38A430-10C2-490D-9242-F985155DC452.jpeg

Jack's mental image was what he called " going to the movies " over every shot and putt. Loved your montage RP. 

• Thanks 1