2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Average Swing Speed Thread: What ball are you playing?

Jmccas

7 hours ago, hammergolf said:

The swingspeed compression myth was busted years ago. 

I am interested in more info on this topic and below is my interpretation from what I have found. I haven’t seen many articles on this topic outside of MGS.  

After reviewing the MGS data (mid swing speed) and it does reflect that firmer balls go further with a driver. But after diving into the data it also seems to suggest a lower compression ball goes further with irons.

Those distance gains off irons potentially come at the expense of spin however. Take for instance the Bridgestone Tour B RX/RXS. Those two performed very well in the iron carry distance results but were among the bottom performers in spin. They did offset that loss in spin with a higher flight and descent angle. Based on the flight characteristics I was thinking about picking up some of the Tour B RX/RXS but then looked at how those balls performed with the driver. They performed terribly on carry distance. The B RX was eight yards behind the Vice Pro!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Iron History: Macgregor blades -> Tour Model 3 -> 20 year hiatus -> Callaway Rogue (ugh) -> PtxPro -> P790 -> MP4 -> MP32 -> 623CB -> ZX5 mkII -> Cobra Tours

Dr: Titleist TSR3

3W: Ping G430 SFT

7W: Callaway Paradym

4H: Cobra King Tec

5-GW: Titleist T100

W: Edison 2.0

P: Odessey Versa 7

I'm old (76 later this month) with a driver swing speed in the low 80s. I play mostly the Snell MTB Black and Callaway ERC Soft. Last year, however, the best performing ball for me was surprisingly the Vice Pro Plus, despite it being marketed as a ball for high speed swings. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jmccas said:

I am interested in more info on this topic and below is my interpretation from what I have found. I haven’t seen many articles on this topic outside of MGS.  

After reviewing the MGS data (mid swing speed) and it does reflect that firmer balls go further with a driver. But after diving into the data it also seems to suggest a lower compression ball goes further with irons.

Those distance gains off irons potentially come at the expense of spin however. Take for instance the Bridgestone Tour B RX/RXS. Those two performed very well in the iron carry distance results but were among the bottom performers in spin. They did offset that loss in spin with a higher flight and descent angle. Based on the flight characteristics I was thinking about picking up some of the Tour B RX/RXS but then looked at how those balls performed with the driver. They performed terribly on carry distance. The B RX was eight yards behind the Vice Pro!

I tested all the Tour B balls. For me, the RX and RXS were shorter off all clubs. However, I am a lower spin player so besides less ball speed, the lower spin of the RX and RXS from the irons also was a factor in loss of distance. That being said, for higher spin guys I could see where for them the reduction of spin could make up for the loss of ball speed and may gain distance for them.  

• Like 2

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

4 hours ago, Jmccas said:

I believe this to be absolutely true, in my experience.  The low compression balls are shorter off the tee but longer off of irons from 6 iron to PW.

• Like 1

Driver - Callaway Mavrik 10.5* - Project X EvenFlow Riptide 50 5.5

4W - Callaway Mavrik 16.5* - Project X EvenFlow Riptide 60 5.5

7W - Callaway Mavrik 21* - Project X EvenFlow Riptide 60 5.5

4-GW - Mizuno JPX 850 Forged - TT Dynamic Gold R300

SW - Cleveland RTX ZipCore - 54Mid10 - TT Dynamic Spinner

GW - Cleveland RTX ZipCore - 58Full12 - TT Dynamic Spinner

Putter - Odyssey White Hot 6

Ball - Vice Pro or Wilson Staff Zip

13 hours ago, Jmccas said:

Those distance gains off irons potentially come at the expense of spin however.

Yep, which makes a ton of sense. Higher compression is higher ball speed (in general) and higher spin (in general). 

For a mid speed player who doesn't generate enough speed to spin the crap out of the ball, ball speed matters on driver. That's where you get distance from a higher compression ball, because they're not spinning it enough to be counterproductive. But for that same player, they can't get the spin they WANT on irons with a lower compression ball, so the lack of ball speed is offset by the lower spin and they get longer carry (but less ability to stop it). 

I think for a low-speed or mid-speed player, a high compression ball that spins a decent amount is ideal. You get higher ball speed (and longer distance) with driver. With irons, you're not looking for "more distance" as much as you're looking for performance approaching the green, so the higher spin of a higher compression ball helps you stop it because you have trouble generating that spin on your own. 

For a high-speed player, you start getting into the point where you want high ball speed but low spin, because your swing speed generates plenty of spin on its own. So you need low spin off the tee to maximize driver distance, and you don't want high spin on approaches because you can start ripping balls back off the green too easily. 

• Like 4

Ping G25 10.5* w/ Diamana 'ahina 70 x5ct stiff (set -0.5 to 10*)

Sub70 Pro Tour 5w w/ Aldila NV NXT 85 stiff

Wishon EQ1-NX 4h, 5i-GW single-length built to 37.5" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 Sycamore Mallet putter @ 36.5" with Winn midsize pistol grip

22 hours ago, The Pearl said:

Nobody with average swing speed playing the Left Dash?

It's been several years but I did, in fact, play Left Dash for about three months in lieu of my beloved Pro V1x. I liked it a lot and for me it seemed to play like a Pro V1x with an extra 5-10 yards of driver distance and better wind performance. I also liked the very firm "feel" (i.e. sound) when putting and chipping.

Around that time they started making Pro V1x in yellow and I wanted to play a yellow ball so I switched (back) but the thought has crossed my mind to maybe try Left Dash again one of these days.

FWIW, I swing a driver in the high 80's (absolute max of 90mph trying to swing out of my shoes last time I was on a launch monitor, probably can't even do that nowadays). 

• Like 2

For us 85-90mph swingers, the Left Dash is IMO long off the tee like AVX without the drawbacks of lower descent angle and slight less short game spin. But I guess AVX is better if you really, really can’t live with a firm click. Left Dash is the opposite of soft feel. 

• Like 2

100-105mph driver ss.

I've bounced around from z star, to xv, to prov1x, and back into z star.

Though I did win some tp5s at my last comp, so I'll have to give them a go.

I dont mind the firmer balls. But really prefer something softer.

• Like 1

Taylormade Sim 9.0° Diamana ZF 60 stiff

Taylormade Sim Ti 15° Diamana ZF 70 stiff

Cobra F7 4-5 Ti 18.5° Diamana Kai'li 80 stiff

Ping G25 Hybrid 23° Kbs C-Taper Lite stiff 

Bridgestone Tour-B X-CB 5-PW Project X LZ 6.0

Cobra MiM Black 50°v, 56°v, 60°w Kbs Hi-REV 2.0 125 stiff 

Maltby Ptm-1

Srixon Z-Star 

Titleist Players 5 Stand Bag

Bagboy Nitron 

On 7/7/2023 at 8:37 PM, North Butte said:

It's been several years but I did, in fact, play Left Dash for about three months in lieu of my beloved Pro V1x. I liked it a lot and for me it seemed to play like a Pro V1x with an extra 5-10 yards of driver distance and better wind performance. I also liked the very firm "feel" (i.e. sound) when putting and chipping.

Around that time they started making Pro V1x in yellow and I wanted to play a yellow ball so I switched (back) but the thought has crossed my mind to maybe try Left Dash again one of these days.

FWIW, I swing a driver in the high 80's (absolute max of 90mph trying to swing out of my shoes last time I was on a launch monitor, probably can't even do that nowadays). 

I dug out a Pro V1x Left Dash ball and played it for a few holes today. I must be getting old and jaded, admittedly a few holes isn't much of a test but I couldn't tell a lick of difference between it and the regular old Pro V1x I've been played recently. 

I'm pretty sure I read they haven't updated the Left Dash design in several years, maybe they've sneakily made the 2023 Pro V1x really similar to the old Left Dash?😵

Or maybe I'm just not able to notice differences without a longer, more meaningful comparison...🤔

On 7/11/2023 at 8:12 PM, North Butte said:

I dug out a Pro V1x Left Dash ball and played it for a few holes today. I must be getting old and jaded, admittedly a few holes isn't much of a test but I couldn't tell a lick of difference between it and the regular old Pro V1x I've been played recently. 

I'm pretty sure I read they haven't updated the Left Dash design in several years, maybe they've sneakily made the 2023 Pro V1x really similar to the old Left Dash?😵

Or maybe I'm just not able to notice differences without a longer, more meaningful comparison...🤔

I played that same Left Dash for a full round except on 3 holes I swapped in a regular Pro V1x. One Par 5 I even played both balls side by side on the same hole for a comparison.

I'll be darned if I can detect any meaningful difference between them with the driver, irons, wedges, chipping, whatever. Going back and forth from hole to hole it was like playing exactly the same ball. There is a tiny bit firmer click to the Left Dash off my putter but even that I can only hear putting them side by side on the practice green.

I swear I remember a noticeable difference in performance a few years ago. For my game at least, the 2023 Pro V1x might as well have a left dash drawn on it. Otherwise I wouldn't be able to tell them apart. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, North Butte said:

I played that same Left Dash for a full round except on 3 holes I swapped in a regular Pro V1x. One Par 5 I even played both balls side by side on the same hole for a comparison.

I'll be darned if I can detect any meaningful difference between them with the driver, irons, wedges, chipping, whatever. Going back and forth from hole to hole it was like playing exactly the same ball. There is a tiny bit firmer click to the Left Dash off my putter but even that I can only hear putting them side by side on the practice green.

I swear I remember a noticeable difference in performance a few years ago. For my game at least, the 2023 Pro V1x might as well have a left dash drawn on it. Otherwise I wouldn't be able to tell them apart. 

I too tested the left dash and '21 ProV1x on trackman and saw some very discernible spin numbers in irons and wedges.  However, launch and apex were very similar.  Driver, fairway and hybrid spin numbers were similar as well.   

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

On 7/14/2023 at 8:57 AM, c50sooner said:

95 swing speed

Trying to stick with one but have been rotating these this year:

CSXLS

Triad

Diamond

ERC Soft

Z star

That’s an interesting range of balls. Is one floating to the top of the list as a favorite?

Iron History: Macgregor blades -> Tour Model 3 -> 20 year hiatus -> Callaway Rogue (ugh) -> PtxPro -> P790 -> MP4 -> MP32 -> 623CB -> ZX5 mkII -> Cobra Tours

Dr: Titleist TSR3

3W: Ping G430 SFT

7W: Callaway Paradym

4H: Cobra King Tec

5-GW: Titleist T100

W: Edison 2.0

P: Odessey Versa 7

I decided to keep playing that same Left Dash Pro V1x until I lost it or it got damaged. Nine more holes Saturday the eighteen today. Again, I put a regular Pro V1x in play for two random holes Saturday and three today. And again, darned if I can tell any difference. 

But today, wouldn't you know it, I equaled my personal best score ever. Another round like that and I'll end up buying a whole box of the darned things!

This has been a fascinating and surprising journey for me this summer.  I've never really paid too much attention to the ball I've played.  ERC Soft in the winter the TP5 or Pro V1 in the summer.  This year I noticed I was consistently and substantially longer off the tee with the ERC Soft.  To make a long story short - anything in the ERC Soft, Titleist Tour Soft, Q-Star category blew away the premium balls for me off the tee.  Consistently 10-15 yards off the tee.

My SS is 95 mph and getting 250 yards from the mid-tier balls.  About 235-240 with the premium balls.  I have to think that it comes down to spin performance off of the driver.  Getting that extra distance and a shorter club into the green is worth sacrificing green side spin.  

On 7/16/2023 at 8:56 AM, Jmccas said:

That’s an interesting range of balls. Is one floating to the top of the list as a favorite?

@JmccasThey all unfortunately have a characteristic or two that the others don't, so I keep switching around. Have played Triad the most which is the most well rounded, but chase distance with CSXLS, chase short game/putting feel with Diamond, straight flight of ERC Soft, and the all around feel of Z Star. 

• Like 1

TaylorMade M5 / Callaway Mavrik 3W / Maltby KE4 FDI 19 / Callaway Mavrik Pro 3H / Maltby TS1 4-GW / Callaway MD2 56 / Odyssey Double Wide / Titleist Pro V1

95ish mph swing speed.  I have been trying some new balls this year.  Normally a ProV1 player.  But played the Q-Start Tour in early spring season and liked it.  Switched to the Vice Pro and really like it alot.

• Like 2

Titleist TSI3 - 9 degree w/Tensei AV Orange S 65
Ping 5 Wood - Tensei AV Orange S 75

Ping 7 Wood - Tensei AV Orange S 75
Titleist TSi2 21 
Ping i525 - AWT 2.0 Stiff + .25” - Green Dot (5-GW)
Ping Glide 4.0 (54 & 58)
Sub 70 Sycamore 005 Wide Blade / Ping Anser2
Pro V1

12 hours ago, Mike_Honcho said:

the new kirkland.  

This ^

• Like 2

Ping G430 Max with Ping Distanza or MP5 Ladies flex or Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue 45 in Senior

Ping G430 Five Wood Ping Distanza

Ping G430 Seven Wood Ping Distanza

Ping G430 Nine Wood Ping Distanza

Ping i230 5-PW Red Dot + 1"  Recoil Dart 105

Ping i230 Utility Wedge +1" Recoil Dart 105

Ping Glide 4.0 56 Degree ES Red Dot ZZ 115

Scotty Cameron Squareback 2.5 341/2"

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 35"

DUO Soft matte red and yellow for fun

ZIP for the less than snooty 9 hole course that I walk alone often (thick rough and I tend to forget where exactly along with poor depth perception)

Triad and Maxfli Tour S for the nicer 18 hole course that I play two or three times a month.

Wilson Dynapwr Driver

Srixon ZX MK II 3 Hybrid

Cleveland Zipcore XL 5 Iron

Srixon ZX4 MK II Irons 6 - P

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 4 - 48, 54, 60

Cleveland HB soft 8 putter 

Srixon Z Star ball

This is why I love GolfWRX, "mere mortals", don't you know our average swing speed with the driver is in the 125s?!?!?!? on a bad day, these guys are being so nice to you, love it!!!...ok my hypocrisy only goes so far, I have to say everyone here is correct, there is no perfect ball, we all swing different, even at the same speed. Really enjoyed the fellow friend here that stated "I don't have a specific ball, I get a sleeve and see what happens" (paraphrasing), as you've seen, some guys with slower swing speeds have opted for the harder ball, then again, others prefer the softer more spinier ball, I am not in this category, I am in the 112-115 and I currently play the Z Star Diamond (you should give it a try), it was a surprise to me, 3 piece ball, softer feel, but it performs really well, again for me, long with the driver, perfect spin with the irons, great spin around the green and feel softer off the putter. You have to try and see what works best for you, and remember, no one here is a mere mortal, we are Gods of the game!!!...lol, take care, hope this brought a smile...

DRIVER: Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5*, Ventus TR Blue 6TX at 45"
3 WOOD: Callaway Paradym HL 16.5*, Diamana Flower Band White, D+ 82X Flex, tipped 1" at 42"
7 WOOD: Callaway Paradym 21*, Tensei AV white 75g S Flex, tipped 1" at 41"

IRONS: Callaway Apex MB 7-10, CB 4-6 -- DG TI S400

WEDGES: Callaway JAWS Raw 50, 54, 58 -- DG TI S400
PUTTER: SC Phantom 5, Stability Shaft, 33.25", Garsen Quad Tour grip (Toulon Chicago as back up)
BALL: Callaway CT X (current gamer), Srixon Diamond, -ProV1X and ProV1