2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Average Swing Speed Thread: What ball are you playing?

Jmccas

Been playing the KSig v3 exclusively of late.  After seeing assorted comments on it, decided to test with other balls over the last couple weeks, to see if there was a noticeable difference for me.

About me...  bouncing between 6 and 9 hdcp this year, currently an 8.  Swingspeed with driver is around 100mph, maybe a touch higher, and speed with a 6 or 7 iron is around 83mph.  I've always been a high  trajectory and spin player, and tend to get killed hitting into the wind; it's less of an issue these days thanks to aging, but my wind play shows that problem is still there.

I saw no discernable distance difference with irons or driver, comparing the v3 directly with a Triad, Chrome Soft, Chrome Soft LS, and even a Snell Prime X that I played for nine holes.  My tee game distance was as I've been seeing the last few months with the v3, and even within these rounds on shots I've hit with the v3.  Same with irons, no change in the club I'm hitting into the greens.

Biggest difference is the chipping and medium pitch spin.  The v3 will sit down better than the above balls, though none of the above is bad, by any stretch.  

A *very* anecdotal take, but thought I'd share anyway...

• Like 3

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

11 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

Been playing the KSig v3 exclusively of late.  After seeing assorted comments on it, decided to test with other balls over the last couple weeks, to see if there was a noticeable difference for me.

About me...  bouncing between 6 and 9 hdcp this year, currently an 8.  Swingspeed with driver is around 100mph, maybe a touch higher, and speed with a 6 or 7 iron is around 83mph.  I've always been a high  trajectory and spin player, and tend to get killed hitting into the wind; it's less of an issue these days thanks to aging, but my wind play shows that problem is still there.

I saw no discernable distance difference with irons or driver, comparing the v3 directly with a Triad, Chrome Soft, Chrome Soft LS, and even a Snell Prime X that I played for nine holes.  My tee game distance was as I've been seeing the last few months with the v3, and even within these rounds on shots I've hit with the v3.  Same with irons, no change in the club I'm hitting into the greens.

Biggest difference is the chipping and medium pitch spin.  The v3 will sit down better than the above balls, though none of the above is bad, by any stretch.  

A *very* anecdotal take, but thought I'd share anyway...

I love me some Pro V1x, have done for years. Just like I love my club membership and just like I love Steak Night once a week. It's all luxury and I'm fortunate to be able to have these nice things.

But if I were ever needing to economize, I also really, really like pork chops (especially with mashed potatoes and gravy) and there are a couple of public courses I know of that are fun to play and offer yearly "memberships" for a pittance compared to my dues. 

And Costco makes KIRKLAND balls, which I'm sure I could play and enjoy just fine. For like pennies on the dollar compared to my Titleists. So I've got that going for, if the need ever arises!

K-SIG the pork chop of urethane golf balls.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, North Butte said:

I love me some Pro V1x, have done for years. Just like I love my club membership and just like I love Steak Night once a week. It's all luxury and I'm fortunate to be able to have these nice things.

But if I were ever needing to economize, I also really, really like pork chops (especially with mashed potatoes and gravy) and there are a couple of public courses I know of that are fun to play and offer yearly "memberships" for a pittance compared to my dues. 

And Costco makes KIRKLAND balls, which I'm sure I could play and enjoy just fine. For like pennies on the dollar compared to my Titleists. So I've got that going for, if the need ever arises!

K-SIG the pork chop of urethane golf balls.

An advantage Kirkland balls have over Titleist, there's no accompanying damage to your soul...

• Haha 3

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

I’m 58.  I swing my driver around 100.  I am testing Bridgestone currently l did not like tiger’s XS ball at all it wants to work the ball even when you don’t.

i do like the BX and BRX balls quite a lot.  The RX feels nicer to squash off the tee, the BX might be going slightly further but I’m leaning to the RX  excuse it’s close and I like the feel of it.  Both spin plenty with my irons and around the green.

otherwise I love the tp5 and tp5x and will be trying the chrome soft x soon.

if you are closer to 90 with your driver then your results may differ.  Try them all

• Like 1

Mizuno JPX923 Tours

Ping and TaylorMade Hybrids

Taylor Made 4W and Driver

Scotty Cameron Fastback

Currently playing TP5, BRX, BX, AVX (still deciding)

I’m around mid to high eighties with the driver, and for me the three best performing balls are Bridgestone Tour BX, Callaway Chrome Soft X, and Pro V1X. I prefer the Tour BX because it feels softer than the others. 

• Like 1

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

Driver SS here 95 on average and can get close to 100.  I have been playing the TP5, Oncore Elixr and Vice Pro balls the last 3-4 seasons.  These are the best feeling, controllable and longest balls for me.  Tried the RX and didn't feel great and lacked spin.  Tried the lower level urethane - TM Tour Response, QStar Tour and other types and none were close the my main 3.  

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I've tried a smattering of balls over the past two years. My driver swing speed is 95-97.  Some of my best rounds were shot with a Pro-V1, so I am not sure why I keep searching, but I recently have been playing Pro-V1X and I just tried the Chrome Soft X and X LS. I just shot a pretty poor round with a Chrome Soft X, but my short game saved me. 5 up and downs, including 2 sandies, and 27 total putts. I did have to replace a Chrome Soft X, because the cover developed a gash in it. Not something I want to see at that price level, but I am curious if others have noticed durability issues with the CSX. I did just barely nick a tree branch on that hole, so perhaps that did it. Other thing I noticed is that the CSX spins a tad too much on full wedge shots (130-100 yds), and I am no longer a high player.  I could do with a touch less spin, but more spin than average. And I don't want to go any firmer in putter feel than the V1X. That's my limit. 

I'll play my next round with the CSX for 9 and a V1X for 9. I've never tried the Maxfli Tour X but I did briefly try the previous gen regular Maxfli Tour yellow along with Vice Pro.  I decided I did not like a yellow ball. 

Edited by wolverine_man

Rogue ST Max 9* (IZ-6 SR)

TSi2 @ 16.5* (Ventus Red 6R, -2g)

TSi2 @ 21* (Motore X F3 7S, -2g, tip'd .5")

818 H1 @ 24* (Diamana S+ 82S, tip'd 1.5")

Pro 223 5-GW (Modus3 115 - S) 

RTX6 54/10, RTX6 59/7 (Modus 115 Wedge - S, 1* flat) 

Queen B6- '24 BX

Played in a 2 man alternate shot competition, so played a ProV1X because my partner loves those. Hit a drive about 330 yards out of the gate, and several more around that distance. I usually play Vice Pro Plus, and the distance between the two is about the same. 

Driver: PING G425 LST/Callaway Epic Speed LS
3 wood: Taylormade mini 300
2 Hybrid Callaway Maverick

4 Hybrid Taylormade Superfast

5-UW: Ping i210
Maltby TSW sand wedge

Odyssey OG 2 Ball stroke lab
Titleist ProV1 left dash/Snell MTB-X/Vice Pro Plus

On 8/14/2023 at 11:21 PM, hammergolf said:

I’m around mid to high eighties with the driver, and for me the three best performing balls are Bridgestone Tour BX, Callaway Chrome Soft X, and Pro V1X. I prefer the Tour BX because it feels softer than the others. 

Close , maybe a shade higher speed but agree with your assessment.....now I've added the VICE PRO PLUS and it is an exceptional product!!! Reminds me of the Maxfli HT balata from the 90s 20231002_145301.jpg.3e93638ca67cba45a628c346223ddbbc.jpg

• Like 1

Just grabbed a box of Maxfli Tour X with the MGS promo.  Will try these out versus V1x.  MGS testing shows them to be very similar. 

Rogue ST Max 9* (IZ-6 SR)

TSi2 @ 16.5* (Ventus Red 6R, -2g)

TSi2 @ 21* (Motore X F3 7S, -2g, tip'd .5")

818 H1 @ 24* (Diamana S+ 82S, tip'd 1.5")

Pro 223 5-GW (Modus3 115 - S) 

RTX6 54/10, RTX6 59/7 (Modus 115 Wedge - S, 1* flat) 

Queen B6- '24 BX

• 2 weeks later...

Older now but was never super fast swinger to start with, more tempo/smooth and impact position.  Recent fitting in December was 98 average.

Was ProV1.....but I have been moving over to Srixon Zstar Diamond.   The bit of extra driver spin / long iron spin has been great improvement for me.  Same distance with mid irons down, maybe a bit more distance  honestly.

So far the gains are very noticeable for my game.

On 10/17/2023 at 3:51 PM, AnthonyC143 said:

97 SS, I play the ProV1X or TP5.

I had the privilege of a Titleist ball fitting by Titleist last year.  I learned that spin, for me, is what keeps my ball in the air longer and therefore gives me more distance.  Spin is my fuel.  

Same for me.  Have you tried the Zstar Diamond?  ProV1 prior but the extra spin on driver from Diamond has been pretty nice gains over the V1/V1x for me.

My ss is 98 average.

Edit: it was recommended to me in a ball fitting based on a fitting i did as I needed more spin from driver also.

Edited by CDM
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

95-ish mph with driver, after much ball swapping I ended up settling on Q-Star Tour this year. Previously played mainly Vice Pro, Snell MTB Black, and a truly unhealthy amount of others scattered around, but the Q-Star Tour seems to blend my favorite aspects of all of them, and I can find them for a good price almost anywhere.

100mph driver SS.  Im not the most consistent ball striker by any means but ive been sticking to Maxfli tour, tour x and Srixon Z stars.  Love the feel of all three even though they are all very different.  I naturally hit the ball pretty low on irons and high on driver.  I probably benefit more from the tour x flight and spin but the Z star finds the fairway the most it seems.

Swing speed around 101-103 ish. Been playing the TP5x for some time, but recently been trialing the Z Star Diamond. I'm probably making the switch. Not a lot of difference in driver length, but Diamond seems to give me a little more control... and spins better arounds the greens which helps on Bermuda.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/14/2023 at 12:17 PM, phizzy30 said:

I too tested the left dash and '21 ProV1x on trackman and saw some very discernible spin numbers in irons and wedges.  However, launch and apex were very similar.  Driver, fairway and hybrid spin numbers were similar as well.   

It’s been a long time since you posted this, for me I just got new irons, I love the X for my driver and hybrids and previous irons but these irons have about 3* more loft and spin a lot.  I switched to the left dash and seem to have same driver performance and longer distance with the irons with still good trajectory.

My SS with driver is around 110-112 and low 90s with irons, like my signature states, I play -Pro V1X, ZS Diamond, CSXLS, I just played a few rounds with the Wilson Staff Model, I have to say I was impressed, distance is good, a bit firm (like the -PV1X), just a bit more spin around the greens...that said, I also played the regular PV1 and I have forgotten how good the ball is, lower spin and launch, not to mention softer feel, for next season I will try and play the regular PV1, currently due to colder temps here in VA, I am playing the KSig V3 and it's working just fine...

Edited by Boricua Golf

DRIVER: Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5*, Ventus TR Blue 6TX at 45"
3 WOOD: Callaway Paradym HL 16.5*, Diamana Flower Band White, D+ 82X Flex, tipped 1" at 42"
7 WOOD: Callaway Paradym 21*, Tensei AV white 75g S Flex, tipped 1" at 41"

IRONS: Callaway Apex MB 7-10, CB 4-6 -- DG TI S400

WEDGES: Callaway JAWS Raw 50, 54, 58 -- DG TI S400
PUTTER: SC Phantom 5, Stability Shaft, 33.25", Garsen Quad Tour grip (Toulon Chicago as back up)
BALL: Callaway CT X (current gamer), Srixon Diamond, -ProV1X and ProV1

Chrome Soft, SuperSoft or ERC Soft depending on the day, my mood, and distance from the Vernal Equinox.......

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym 10.5* HZRDUS Silver 6.0

Callaway 3HL Paradym X HZRDUS Silver 6.0

Callaway 7w Paradym HZRDUS Silver 5.5

Tour Edge C522 4 and 6 hybrids Fubuki HL 55R

Callaway 6-52* irons Paradym HZRDUS Silver 6.0

Callaway Jaws Raw 58* Catalyst Wedge

Odyssey 11 Triple Track SuperStroke Traxion 2.0 

• 4 weeks later...

52 and swing 90ish. In my bag currently are:

Homna D1

Cut Matte Orange

Titleist Velocity (also matte orange)

Cut Red (but they are white)

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

• 1 month later...

I'm 76 and admittedly a slow swing player.  Not because I don't work on my game or visit the gym at least 4 or 5 times a week.  I'm limited by what God gave me and have just accepted that the other parts of my game will have to make up for the lack of distance.

When it comes to golf ball choice, I've tried so many I probably couldn't count them.  But I don't pick a ball based on distance or spin, I pick it based on feel off the putter and wedge because that's where I really have to perform or my game is pathetic.  

I honestly have not seen a lot of difference with any ball when it comes to the driver, but that probably comes down to my swing speed, not the ball.  I do see some differences with the irons, but again, I think I get more distance with a ball that doesn't feel like I'm hitting an anvil.  

With all that said, last season I played the Chrome Soft.  Not the longest and certainly not a lot of spin when hitting approach shots, but I could predict what it was going to do and it was consistent.  No one seems to mention predicability and consistency, which I think is very important.

As I prepare for the outdoor season, I've been hitting the Chrome Soft (not the newest version), Chrome Tour, and Maxfli Tour S.  The Maxfli feels very very similar to the Chrome Soft and performs about the same, perhaps a touch longer with the irons.  However, I just received a sleeve of Chrome Tour from Callaway and really liking the performance and the feel is not substantially firmer than the other two.  Spin is definitely better.

My best advice is pick a ball and stick with it.  Changing balls often will just add a variable to your game that could affect your score more than you think.  And don't pick a ball based on teebox-to-the-green performance but based on green-to-the-teebox.  Just my 2 cents.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

An update from my testing:

I really like the Vice Pro ball. It has performed well for me. The Bridgestone Tour B XS is an excellent ball for spin and plays really well in the wind. 

I did start playing a TSR3 and determined I need a ball that spins a bit higher. I also just put in an order for MP245 irons so I’ll be moving to a lower spin set up.  

As part of my Mizuno fitting, I got a dozen of RB TourX balls for free. I played 9 and they performed well but will need more testing. The T100 plus RB TourX were too much spin. It will be interesting to see what it looks like with MP245. 

I’m also going to test the Z Star Diamond and Chromesoft X based on the MGS data. 

Edited by Jmccas

Iron History: Macgregor blades -> Tour Model 3 -> 20 year hiatus -> Callaway Rogue (ugh) -> PtxPro -> P790 -> MP4 -> MP32 -> 623CB -> ZX5 mkII -> Cobra Tours

Dr: Titleist TSR3

3W: Ping G430 SFT

7W: Callaway Paradym

4H: Cobra King Tec

5-GW: Titleist T100

W: Edison 2.0

P: Odessey Versa 7