2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Do any of you low to mid-handicappers use Super Game Improvement clubs?

BigEx44

1 hour ago, Lftygolfnut said:

What would you consider the Apex DCB then? They’re definitely in the GI/SGI category and are a super friendly iron to hit. 

My cousin recently picked up a set of DCB's.  I'd say they are on the GI side.  Def not SGI though.  He had the old school OG X Tour's and his fitter told him the DCB was the closest modern equivalent.  I don't really agree with that assessment but they work very well for him. 

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM Qi10 Tour 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

2 hours ago, BigBlue7 said:

I see it the complete opposite.  You want a wider sole with more bounce if you are a digger.

I am a picker and a large sole is no bueno for me.  Couple that with how high GI/SGIs launch, when I am already not delofting the club at impact, means absolute moonballs.

I turn 40 next summer and currently gaming 919 Tours that I was fit into 4 years ago.  I would love a little more forgiveness, but I need to find something that can do it without a thicker sole and higher ball flight.

Interesting, but hey, you gotta go with what works for you.  My father is a picker and he's in GI irons right now because he's 75 and needs the extra elevation since his ss has slowed down considerably.  All his golfing life, he played blades until about 8 years ago.  He's not a fan of GI/SGI irons but does admit that it helps him on mishits and gets higher launch and apex which is what he needs. 

• Like 2

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM Qi10 Tour 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

I'm a <5 handicap, actually got down to a plus 2 at one point. I play from a tee box of 6100-6300 yards. On a very hilly course. I'm in my 60s

I play with Taylormade Stealth, which in my opinion is the best of both worlds, not big bulky not small. But forgiving at the same time.

Playing for over 50 years I laugh at some of the know it all comments on here about "must have forged clubs"  "feel"- which is subjective. "blade this blade that" and all the other idiotic reasons. 

The truth is golf is about control, not about sound or feel but control. The ball doesn't know what is striking it. I have friends that are pro's and now directors of golf at some pretty nice places. Many of them are old school players. They competed, they were on college golf teams, and all are a very good "stick"....Yet many now play with Taylormade 790 ( or a very similar model from another manufacturer) Some have told me they don't play as much but are still a single digit handicapper...Many have denounced blades and forged clubs entirely.

Some of the best golfers in the world now have 7 and even 9 woods in their bag.....you know why?  because it gets the job done. Victor Hovlin told me that. 

Edited by Vespar
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, phizzy30 said:

My cousin recently picked up a set of DCB's.  I'd say they are on the GI side.  Def not SGI though.  He had the old school OG X Tour's and his fitter told him the DCB was the closest modern equivalent.  I don't really agree with that assessment but they work very well for him. 

I think they border the line and are similar to other irons the op listed as SGI such as the ZX4, JPX923, Paradym X

They are actually really really good irons and make the game a ton easier. Some of the best feeling GI irons out there too. 

On 8/3/2023 at 11:53 AM, NoTalentLefty said:

Good article! I’m planning sometime after 65 maybe 66 going all hybrid irons . But the immediate thing I get from him is the payout with scratchers. Going to pass that by our group.

Glad you enjoyed it. To put some visual to the words, here's Alice Cooper and actor Patrick Warburton playing against former NFLers Urlacher and Gault.

The long par 4 #10 at the 43 minute mark seems like a good representative example of his game. He hits his driver about 240 down the fairway and hits his fairway wood 200 yards right down the fairway again. Then from 35 yards away he pitches it to about 8-10 feet and then drains the putt for the par while the athletes bogey the hole. 

• Like 1

Age old debate for mid cappers.  Do we want to look like a player in the parking lot with blades you really can’t hit.  Or do you look like a beater with a bag full of shovels but hit everything straight and easy.  Younger guys will take the blades and the look.  Older guys the latter.  JMO

• Like 1

Callaway Great Big Bertha  9*  Kai Li White
Callaway Paradym  15*  Kai Li Red

Callaway Paradym  20*  Kai Li Red

Ping G425  22*  Alta CB
Ping G425  26*  Alta CB

Ping G425  30*  Alta CB
Callaway Big Bertha 7 - AW  TT Elevate 

Ping Glide 54*
Ping Fetch
Callaway Chrome Soft Yellow

My cap has been as low as 5 point something a few years ago and is up in the 8’s currently. I’ve used G20’s for a season and G30’s for the last 5 years. I can hit virtually any shot I need to with my irons and that includes delicate short game stuff around the green. I’ve never experienced a “jumper”. If I could get off the tee consistently I’d be between a 2 and 5 so it isn’t my shovels holding me back. Find something you like to look at, make sure it is a properly fit club, and then enjoy!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ping G425 12* set at the little - with a tour 2.0 65 stiff shaft

Callaway Steelhead III 18* 5W

Callaway Big Bertha Warbird 21* 7W

Ping G30 4-W, U, and S irons 

Ping Tour 60* wedge

Ping Karsten Craz-E putter

30 minutes ago, herkyjerk said:

Age old debate for mid cappers.  Do we want to look like a player in the parking lot with blades you really can’t hit.  Or do you look like a beater with a bag full of shovels but hit everything straight and easy.  Younger guys will take the blades and the look.  Older guys the latter.  JMO

I played TW blades early college, damn they were nice, definitely wanted to look good hhahaha. Now I bought a “more forgiving” ZX7

I'm 39 and went the "players distance" approach with my i525 and I really like them.  They look like blades but play like GI irons (to me at least).  I'd recommend giving that family of clubs a look.

Aerojet LS 9* - Aerojet LS 14.5* - Baffler 17.5* - Sub 70 Pro 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58* / 62*  - F22

8 hours ago, herkyjerk said:

I would definitely be in the latter category if I can truly find irons that let me hit the ball consistently "straight and easy".

22 hours ago, BigEx44 said:

Interesting.  I would think wide soles are made for pickers (sweepers) versus diggers.  I'm also worried about club weight - more specifically swing weight.  My current irons are D4's.   I too, like to feel the club head.  I'm wondering if my current 85g gram shafts might be a little heavy.  I'll be interested to see if a lighter shaft maintaining a heavier swing weight might help.

This is all why I want to do a fitting before making any changes.  Too many variables to chance by just ordering clubs myself.  Thanks for the feedback.

For me as a sweeper, wide bouncy soles are less than optimal.  But low COG is very good.

M4 Driver
5, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

Once you go into that category of iron you’re basically giving up any kind of shot you might use an iron for other than a full swing, full distance attempt. Chips, punches, knockdowns, etc go right out the window (at least if you care about controlling distance). 

That’s the trade off. Might bother some players and not others. 

This is simply not true.

• Like 1

stevegp

On 8/3/2023 at 7:40 AM, BigEx44 said:

I'm 65 yrs old.  A solid 9 handicap who sneaks into the 8's occasionally.  I've got reasonable length to my game (for my age...).  I can carry my 7i 140 yds and my driver 210+.  And at this point in my life I don't expect any major improvements in my game.  I'd just like to hold on to where I'm at as long as possible.

I'm a competitive person who likes to score and when I hit shots - I'm always just trying to hit them as straight as possible as consistently as possible (I'm not a "worker" of the golf ball).

Given all this, I'm really considering moving to some "Super Game Improvement" clubs (more specifically - the irons).  Not because I need help getting the ball in the air or need more distance - but simply because I'm looking for the "easiest" clubs to hit that will give me the greatest consistency.  I'm actually seeking better dispersion rather than more distance (although I wouldn't turn more distance down as long as spin and ball flight remained optimal for holding greens)

Plus, I have no golf ego.  I'd have shovels in my bag if that's what worked best (I already "sidesaddle" putt and love my Callaway Mack Daddy Cavity Back wedges).

I'm currently using Apex DCB irons GW-7i.  I ditched my 4,5 and 6 irons for Epic Max 11, 9 and 7 woods.  My 4 wood is an old X2 Hot (I have yet to find anything I can hit better).  My driver is a brand new Taylor Made Steath 2 (which I love) at 10.5 degrees.

I'm giving heavy thought to switching my irons over to something more along the lines of the Cleveland Launcher XL Halo Irons.  I've been impressed with all the positive reviews.  They're an itch I want to scratch.  I'm going for an iron fitting on Monday so I can also try out the other various SGI irons that are out there (Stealth HD, JPX923, Srixon Z4 MKII, Callaway Paradym X, etc).

Of course, if I don't end up hitting any of those clubs any better than my current irons, I won't make the switch.  I want the fitting to confirm I can do better.

I was just wondering if any other low to mid handicappers have made this kind of switch to SGI irons - and what they experienced?

I’m 4 years older and I used hit my irons the same distance as you with my Gen3 XP’s, but I’m now a half club longer thanks to the E722 irons with KBS 60 shafts.
The E722’s are closed out, but the Tour Edge E723’s are available now. They’re $114 per club and you get 10% off when you sign up for emails.
You also get a 30 day no questions asked 100% refund if you don’t like them, plus they pay the shipping.

With all that, it’s beyond me why anyone wouldn’t try these or the C723’s. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by john myrbch

CALLAWAY AI Smoke Max 10.5* 

TAYLORMADE Stealth 3HL & 7W

TAYLORMADE  Stealth 25*

MIZUNO JPX 923 HM 6-AW 

TITLEIST SM9 54-10S

TITLEIST SM9 58-8M

CLEVELAND Smart Sole 4.0 C

L.A.B. DF3  34” 69*

No official cap here but I'm a mid 80s player who occasionally pulls a high 70 out of my a**. I switched from Maltby TE Forged to KE4 Tour+ irons this year and my iron play hasn't been better.

ma0261__93739.1674936231.jpg?c=1

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Driver: Adams 9088

Fairways: TM V-Steel

Hybrids: Nickent 3DX

Irons: Maltby TE Forged

Wedges: Acer XB Satin

Putter: Odyssey White Steel #1

On 8/3/2023 at 7:40 AM, BigEx44 said:

I'm 65 yrs old.  A solid 9 handicap who sneaks into the 8's occasionally.  I've got reasonable length to my game (for my age...).  I can carry my 7i 140 yds and my driver 210+.  And at this point in my life I don't expect any major improvements in my game.  I'd just like to hold on to where I'm at as long as possible.

I'm a competitive person who likes to score and when I hit shots - I'm always just trying to hit them as straight as possible as consistently as possible (I'm not a "worker" of the golf ball).

Given all this, I'm really considering moving to some "Super Game Improvement" clubs (more specifically - the irons).  Not because I need help getting the ball in the air or need more distance - but simply because I'm looking for the "easiest" clubs to hit that will give me the greatest consistency.  I'm actually seeking better dispersion rather than more distance (although I wouldn't turn more distance down as long as spin and ball flight remained optimal for holding greens)

Plus, I have no golf ego.  I'd have shovels in my bag if that's what worked best (I already "sidesaddle" putt and love my Callaway Mack Daddy Cavity Back wedges).

I'm currently using Apex DCB irons GW-7i.  I ditched my 4,5 and 6 irons for Epic Max 11, 9 and 7 woods.  My 4 wood is an old X2 Hot (I have yet to find anything I can hit better).  My driver is a brand new Taylor Made Steath 2 (which I love) at 10.5 degrees.

I'm giving heavy thought to switching my irons over to something more along the lines of the Cleveland Launcher XL Halo Irons.  I've been impressed with all the positive reviews.  They're an itch I want to scratch.  I'm going for an iron fitting on Monday so I can also try out the other various SGI irons that are out there (Stealth HD, JPX923, Srixon Z4 MKII, Callaway Paradym X, etc).

Of course, if I don't end up hitting any of those clubs any better than my current irons, I won't make the switch.  I want the fitting to confirm I can do better.

I was just wondering if any other low to mid handicappers have made this kind of switch to SGI irons - and what they experienced?

Global Golf has a UTRY program where you can rent certain irons. I rented the Launcher XL Halo irons before I purchased. It’s $50 for a week. There’s no commitment to purchase. I ended up getting mine off eBay.

1 hour ago, cz13X4 said:

I love the Cleveland hybrid irons. So easy to use. Most recent set I had was the hb turbo with Miyazaki shafts. Sound was great. Just swing away!

These are what I'm giving some serious thought to - but I want to see how they feel and perform at the fitting tomorrow.  The Stealth HD's also look interesting.  I'm keeping my mind open and will totally be ok if nothing outperforms my current Apex DCB's.

I'm a 13 and went the opposite direction from a Cleveland HB Turbo Launcher to Srixon Z785's. Primary reasons were I couldn't control the graphite shafts and caught a lot of flyers. There was no feel at all. However, my 7i SS is in the 87-88 range, so that makes sense for me. I'd ask how high you fly it for someone older like yourself. The Cleveland hybrid irons truly only fly high. It's amazing for someone who needs height but unplayable for others. It depends on your game.

Edited by POKeefe

Callaway Paradym TD 10.5*

Callaway Paradym TD 15*

Callaway Apex UW 21*

Srixon ZX 4H

Callaway Rogue ST Pro 5-A

Callaway JAWS 52, 58

Scotty Cameron Special Select Squareback 2

33 minutes ago, ahenderX said:

Global Golf has a UTRY program where you can rent certain irons. I rented the Launcher XL Halo irons before I purchased. It’s $50 for a week. There’s no commitment to purchase. I ended up getting mine off eBay.

That's an interesting program.  My only problem is I tend to fit to regular or stiff shafts (I'm right on the border) and I need graphite because steel bothers my sensitive elbows and the site only offers steel options for those flexes.

But I will keep an eye on this for future driver and wedge opportunities.  

Thanks for the heads up!

• Like 1

I’m a 3 handicap and recently put a ZX4 4 & 5 in the bag and they are so easy to hit. I couldn’t play them in my 6-PW but that’s a me issue. Also got a ping iCrossover 2 iron and that has way more offset than I like to look at but sometimes results outweigh my eye!lol!

WITB - 5/23/24

Driver: TSR3 - 9* HZRDUS Black G4 6.5 60G

4W: TSR2 16.5* - HZRDUS Black G4 6.5 70G

7W: TSR2 21* - HZRDUS Black G4 6.5 80G

4H: TSR2 21* - HZRDUS Black G4 6.5 80G

Srixon ZX-7 6-PW $-taper 130X

Ping S159 - 50S/54H/58H/62T - DG X100TI

Odyssey AI One Rossie S / TaylorMade TP Collection Juno

Ball : ProV1 for now not 100% commited to it though

I embraced SGI in the long irons.

It started with just the 4i and now I have them all the way thru the 6-iron. 

Honestly, when I'm 175+ out I pretty much want the easiest club to hit and want to see it get as high as it can. 

Looks and feel are not unimportant qualities, but confidence and high shots that land on the green are under-rated, LOL!

• Like 1

TSR3 (Dr) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2 (3w / 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-P) (Nippon Modus3)

SM10 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Odyssey OG 2-Ball

On 8/4/2023 at 8:54 AM, me05501 said:

Once you go into that category of iron you’re basically giving up any kind of shot you might use an iron for other than a full swing, full distance attempt. Chips, punches, knockdowns, etc go right out the window (at least if you care about controlling distance). 

That’s the trade off. Might bother some players and not others. 

Several seemed to have an issue with this take, which maybe I overstated a bit. Or maybe we have different concepts of what qualifies as a SUPER game improvement iron. 

I'm thinking of the absolute most forgiving clubs on the market. That's what SGI indicates to me. These have extreme perimeter weighting and super thin hot faces. 

IMO this makes them useless for chipping or trying to control distance and trajectory on less-than-full swings. YMMV and obviously does! 

After recently finishing an iron odyssey which included SGI irons, I found that the excessive offset and lower spin were not for me.  Liked the Titleist T100S but was more consistent with the T200 (great dispersion too).  SGI irons to try: T300, Mizuno Hot Metal or Pro, Srixon ZX4 if you can deal with the funky sole.

Clubs:  Ping G430 SFT / Cobra LTDx Max 3 Wood / Srixon ZX4 Irons 4-P / Titleist Wedges - S Grind / SeeMore M7x      Note: Views expressed are my opinions based on my experiences playing golf.  I reserve the right to change my opinions - without notice.