2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Are there really people here spending $600 on a new driver?

ace919

1 minute ago, mvvraz said:

600$ is really not that much Imo... 

I've been back to golf full time for almost 2 years now, and in that time I've bought the Callaway Rogue ST LS last year, and the TM Stealth 2+ this year 

I play close to 100 rounds per year I reckon (2x rounds on weekends, vacations are pretty much full on golf etc), and practice a fair bit too 

A 600$ purchase once or twice per year is pretty alright compared to green fees for example - I probably spend my driver's worth every month in green fees alone

The why - I just enjoy it. I don't think I'll play better with the new big stick, I just enjoy changing gear and trying new stuff 

i suspect you’d change your mind if you saw the direct material cost of a typical premium driver. In fact, it would be good if someone in the know could brief us. I’m willing to bet it’s less than 25% of full retail. That’s why the previous year’s drivers are so cheap after new product is released. 

I will not. Having said that, I understand the prices now post COVID, inflation, etc in which $600 is the going rate.  I never needed the newest because I don’t think they are worth the price for the performance.  I always buy 1-2 generations in the past.  I have a SIM2 driver now only because I got tired of looking at my M6 for a few years. The numbers for the M6 still, for me l, compete with the Stealth and Stealth 2. SIM 2 as well. When I get tired of the SIM2 I will “upgrade” to something that has been out a year or two and it about half the price of new. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Pastit said:

i suspect you’d change your mind if you saw the direct material cost of a typical premium driver. In fact, it would be good if someone in the know could brief us. I’m willing to bet it’s less than 25% of full retail. That’s why the previous year’s drivers are so cheap after new product is released. 

You could say that about anything. The TV in your house, your fridge and stove, computer, phone etc....In electronics something that sells for 100$ might have a spend of 5$ for components

As was pointed out your paying for the guys designing it not the materials

• Like 3

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Srixon ZX 19h w/PX hzrdus Red 80

Mizuno MP241 4-PW w/KBS Ctaper LITE

Mizuno MP24 52 w/KBS Ctaper LITE

Cleveland RTX6 60/10--Spinner

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

On 8/25/2023 at 5:06 AM, Kai Slater said:

What is this about a two-times trade allowance?  Where is this deal available?

Can find it on the Callawaygolf.com website, also it was being offered through Golf Galaxy, Dicks, Carlsgolfland, and other retailers.

• Like 1

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC

Same can be said for cars, houses, watches, liquor, etc. 

Personally splurged (for me) on one of the new CC button back putters and completely forgot about the price tag after 2 rounds of putting with it. I also got a like new PXG Gen 6 driver head since it was 50% less than ordering via PXG and I just needed the head anyways. Some things you will have to buy new some you can save big on preowned. 

People will buy what they want until they don’t. At that point manufacturers/OEMs will have to lower prices or find better tech to draw in consumers. Just how the world works in golf and otherwise. 

Edited by LoopySwing13

3 hours ago, mvvraz said:

Raw material cost is something that gets thrown around left and right and to me is the most ridiculous argument anyone can make regarding any product

Raw materials are for the most part readily available (unless you're trying to buy rocket fuel or smth), so by that logic you should just build your own clubs

When you pay for any product, you're also paying salaries, marketing costs, know-how, equipment and machinery cost, and well, all the expenses a company has and has accumulated over the years in order to culminate in being able to produce that product. 

Some industries are low volume, high knowledge, high margin, other industries are high volume low margin, but that has nothing to do with what the product is worth.

In some products you pay for raw materials (idk, potatoes for example), in other products you're paying for people's time and research. I enjoy the latter much, much more. Potatoes don't excite me 

My driver might be worth 5% of what it is in terms of raw material cost, but it gives me pleasure, I enjoy hitting it, and I enjoy buying it. Of all the 600$-s I spend in an average year, my new driver is one of the last things that's going to get cut

You miss the point completely. 

• Confused 1

Yes, going rate, I bought the new Ping G430 Max when it first came out, shippped from Japan off the Bay….$600+

• Like 1

[i][b]In the Bag:[/b][/i]
Driver - Ping 430 Max 10.5 Degree - Tensei 1K Blue Regular 45"

Fairway Woods: Wilson Dynapower (2023) 5 and 7 woods
Irons: 6 - PW trade between Titleist T200 Steel Fiber i110s, and Wilson Staffs +1" - Shafts Project X LZ 5.5
Hybrids: Ping G425 26 degree Titleist TSi2 17 and 23 degree…..Shaft Project X 90 Hyb +1"
PW: Wilson Staff Custom 52 SW: Cleveland CBX Full Face 56 10 bounce
Putter: Jon Rham Limited Naked Rossie 
Ball: Wilson Staff, Pro V or Callaway Chrome Soft
Bag: Datrek 

Cart: Bagboy Quad

I’m about to, my ‘18 rogue kept coming slightly loose, replaced the screw and cleaned the threads, but it’s still wonky.  Can’t find the defect, but it’s there, as evidenced by the Paradym demo I used for 2 games. So will be selecting a driver soon, yep it’ll cost a lot.  

I played probably 600 games with the rogue, that’s about a dollar a game.  Now then, the cost of the beer? Or the gas to drive to the course, or the balls? 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, st1800e said:

I’m about to, my ‘18 rogue kept coming slightly loose, replaced the screw and cleaned the threads, but it’s still wonky.  Can’t find the defect, but it’s there, as evidenced by the Paradym demo I used for 2 games. So will be selecting a driver soon, yep it’ll cost a lot.  

I played probably 600 games with the rogue, that’s about a dollar a game.  Now then, the cost of the beer? Or the gas to drive to the course, or the balls? 

That’s the exact problem I’m having with my Paradym- I’ve heard it crackle at the screw after hitting it and the screw is rusted. The past few rounds I’ve lost a lot of distance. Called Callaway and they are sending a replacement right away. Isn’t that part of the $600 cost- top notch customer service and  company that stands behind the quality of its equipment? 

• Like 2

Got a ping g430 max. Will never look back and say it was not worth it. Such a good stable and long driver. Tried it against callaway, titleist , Taylormade and it just performs. Always played Taylormade drivers but did not like the new carbonwood, love the look of the callaway really wanted to like it but ping to me is just better. Well worth the money. 

• Like 3

There is a fair number of posters here who will pay $600 for a new driver 2-3 times a year. Every year.

• Like 3

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

On 8/25/2023 at 4:06 AM, Kai Slater said:

What is this about a two-times trade allowance?  Where is this deal available?

https://www.callawaygolf.com/bonus/

2x.JPG

I did my trade in at a brick and mortar Edwin Watts.  The store manager is a Callaway staffer, he gave me a good trade-in price on my irons.....

Edited by Mike_C

WITB
TaylorMade Qi10 9.0 Tensei AV Limited Black 65 S 

TaylorMade Qi10 Tour 3 and 5 wood, Tensei AV Limited Blue 75

Matlby TS3 4-5, Matlby TS4 6-GW, Recoil Dart V 105 F4

RTX Zipcore  Tour Rack 54, 60

Spider Tour X L-Neck 35

Srixon-Z Star XV

I traded in a club but I did buy a new TSR3. And then I later bought a used TSR2 outright. So $1k total for 2 drivers: one new and one used. I use both, but I'll probably never do that again.

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Max 9* Project X Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 60
Titleist TSi2 18* 5W Accra FX 3.0 200F M4

Titleist TSi2 26* 6H Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 80

PING i230 6-UW Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 115

PING s159 S 54* PING zz-115

PING s159 E 58* PING zz-115
L.A.B. Golf DF3

On 8/23/2023 at 5:05 PM, ace919 said:

I'm aware of the alternative options. My point is I've seen far too many hacks who are in possession of The $600 Driver. That's the idea. 

So you're upset that these "hacks" can afford an average priced current generation driver with a stock shaft? Reeks of jealousy

And I'm assuming you weren't familiar with premium/after-market shafts when you decided to create this ridiculous topic 🤣

Tsi2 (10*) AV RAW Blue 65TX 45.5"

G425 Max (14.5*) Ventus Blue 7X 42.25"

Apex UW (21*) Ventus Blue 7X 41"

Zx7 4-AW Nippon 120X

RTX-6 56*-60* Nippon 120X

On 8/28/2023 at 6:33 AM, cardigan said:

Variations of this thread can be found over and over again in this forum (clubs, balls, golf bags, polo shirts, etc.) and in forums about guitars, bicycles (road and mountain), stereo equipment, bourbon, wine, shoes, and many others

• High prices for many of the top (or well known brands)
  • Even higher prices for some niche offerings or extra premium brands
  • You can likely find something used, prior generation, or from a different company that will work just as well for less
  • There is "probably" a low point were you are going to have a product that is in some way less desirable or inferior (options, materials, QC, warranty, durability, etc...)
  • There will be some exceptions to the "low point" with items that some will swear by (like Kirkland golf balls) and others will scoff at

100% this.

I also ride bikes and race them locally.  10 years ago the cycling forum thread title was...do people actually think a $8000 bike will make them faster?  Now the thread is basically the same, except there's a 1 in front of the 8.

• Like 1

On 8/23/2023 at 5:11 PM, ace919 said:

Minimum 3-5 years in federal prison. It's one inch too long with the rule change. 

Or the almighty all knowing USGA will send drones out to shoot you down on the first fairway after you bombed one out there 300+ yards

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W--- TM V-Steel TMR7 REAX 55g R

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

5 Hybrid-- Cobra Baffler DWS NVS 60A High Launch

Irons 5 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

Any driver that I spend 6 Bills on better guarantee me to hit 300+ yard, dead straight Bombs off the tee box every time. 

As much as I hate the thought of dropping that much $$$$ on one club, I'll admit that I am tempted to try the TSR2, Paradym, or G430 drivers.  Until the prices come down a bit, I'll just have to be content with "only" gaming my Epic Speed.

Driver--Callaway Rogue ST Max w/ProjectX Cypher Black

FW-4/7 woods--Callaway Paradym

Irons 4-5--Callaway Apex

Irons 6-PW--Callaway RazrX w/steel Uniflex-- shafts

F2 Series Gap Wedge 52* degree

SW-Cleveland CBX 56*

Putter--Odyssey White Steel

Ball-Srixon or Bridgestone E6

6 hours ago, LBB said:

100% this.

I also ride bikes and race them locally.  10 years ago the cycling forum thread title was...do people actually think a $8000 bike will make them faster?  Now the thread is basically the same, except there's a 1 in front of the 8.

4 hours ago, blades_are_life said:

jfc really?

Absolutely.  Most people you see just riding around on the weekends with a local group aren't going to be riding the very top end bikes but you can easily get well over $10k for some of the premium brands and if you are watching something like the Tour de France, you're probably looking at a lot of $14k-$18k bikes when you consider all of the components.  You don't even want to know how much you have to pay for premium pedals or saddles (seats).  Also, like golf, cycling is one of the many categories impacted by covid.  Increased interest, supply issues, higher prices, etc.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, cardigan said:

You don't even want to know how much you have to pay for premium pedals or saddles (seats). 

ok I gotta ask, what makes a pedal or saddle premium? I know about clip-in pedals obviously, but I assume not just any sort of clip-in is acceptable. For saddles what I can think of it is like getting the material composition and contouring perfectly custom fit for maximum comfort.