Titleist T150s are gonna be all-timers

MtlJeff

5 hours ago, Kale_m said:

T-150 and p790 are not in the same category IMO

p790 are a lot more game improvement. Strong lofted, thick topline , low spin power bats. 

t150 are not the same 

Would you guys say the T150 is comparable to P770 and T200 is comparable to P790?

Or is T150 comparable to the P7MC?

Haven’t seen them in person yet, so not sure how thick or thin they are in the top line and sole.

Callaway Paradym X (11*) / Hzrdus Black Smoke 6.0

Callaway Paradym X (15*) / Hzrdus Silver 6.0

Callaway Rogue St Max OS (21*) / Tensei AV Blue 75 S

Srixon ZX5 (4-PW) / Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 S

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore (52* Mid, 58* Mid) / DG Spinner

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

1 hour ago, BallerNate said:

Would you guys say the T150 is comparable to P770 and T200 is comparable to P790?

Or is T150 comparable to the P7MC?

Haven’t seen them in person yet, so not sure how thick or thin they are in the top line and sole.

The T150 is a club that's hard to compare to others IMO. It doesn't feel like one of the hollow/goo filled heads. I haven't hit the newest 770s so can't say. But past itirations i would say still had a bit of a distinctive feel with those "speed" clubs. To me it feels like a players club, albeit on the clickier side of that. 

It's bigger than the P7MC, noticeably so. Also the P7MC is a soft head that feels like a classic forging. 

The T150 is weird. It's kind of like a speed club in how it plays but feels kinda like a players club too. And as mentioned my spin numbers are about the same as any players club i've used

• Like 4

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

8 minutes ago, MtlJeff said:

The T150 is a club that's hard to compare to others IMO. It doesn't feel like one of the hollow/goo filled heads. I haven't hit the newest 770s so can't say. But past itirations i would say still had a bit of a distinctive feel with those "speed" clubs. To me it feels like a players club, albeit on the clickier side of that. 

It's bigger than the P7MC, noticeably so. Also the P7MC is a soft head that feels like a classic forging. 

The T150 is weird. It's kind of like a speed club in how it plays but feels kinda like a players club too. And as mentioned my spin numbers are about the same as any players club i've used

p770 and t150 are similar in size, construction and market - players distance

790 and t200 - similar size, construction and market.

P7mc is most similar to the 620cb in the titleist line.  T100 would be the closer in the tseries but even it has more help than the p7mc

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Pnwpingi210 said:

P7mc is most similar to the 620cb in the titleist line.  T100 would be the closer in the tseries but even it has more help than the p7mc

The 770s in appearance i would say for sure. Just haven't hit them. One of the things i've been talking about here is my spin numbers with T150. And on the course they perform i feel more like a players club than a distance club to me

It's possible the 770 would be very similar. Some of the clubs i've played like Forged Tec or 790s gave off a bit of a different vibe, but that wasn't current gen

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

7 minutes ago, MtlJeff said:

The 770s in appearance i would say for sure. Just haven't hit them. One of the things i've been talking about here is my spin numbers with T150. And on the course they perform i feel more like a players club than a distance club to me

It's possible the 770 would be very similar. Some of the clubs i've played like Forged Tec or 790s gave off a bit of a different vibe, but that wasn't current gen

P770 and t150 definetly feel and sound different.  But they look similar, are designed similar, and made for the similar player. (Good ball striker that wants more distance than they get with a t100 or p7’mc)

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Pnwpingi210 said:

P770 and t150 definetly feel and sound different.  But they look similar, are designed similar, and made for the similar player. (Good ball striker that wants more distance than they get with a t100 or p7’mc)

I'd agree with that statement. T150 felt substantially softer to me than the p770.  I think the P770 long irons might be a bit more forgiving, but the T150s feel so much better to me that I'm willing to give that up. 

• Like 2

Titleist TSR3 (10) - Project X HZRDUS 4G 6.0
Titleist TSR2 4W 16.5 at D1 (16.5) - Project X HZRDUS Red CB  60 6.0

Titleist TSR2 7W 21 at D1 (20) - Project X HZRDUS Red CB  70 6.0
Titleist TSR2 21 at A3 (23) - Project X HZRDUS Red CB  70 6.0

Titleist T150 5i-GW - Nippon 950 GH R - I up
Ping Glide 2.0  52 SS - AWT 2.0 S - Back Dot
Ping Glide 3.0  58 ES - ZZ-115 - Black Dot

In Timeout - Callaway MD5 64 S Grind - TT-115 
Ping Fetch 2023 - 34"

On 8/25/2023 at 10:50 PM, badandbogey said:

And I'm the complete opposite, love the way the zx7's feel but i can't stand the turf interaction. Being a little more shallow the t series just glides through the turf for me. 

Same for me on these. Fitter couldn’t believe the zx7s weren’t performing for me, but the Titleist were clear #1 for my swing

3 hours ago, Pnwpingi210 said:

3 hours ago, MtlJeff said:

Interesting, thanks for the insights.

So with the T150 not being foam-filled, and being similar in size to the P770’s, sounds to me like they may be a resurrection of the AP2’s?

I had a set of AP2 714 last season that felt and looked fantastic! I found the ‘23 P770’s to be more forgiving and probably felt just as good.

But sounds like the T150 could be a new age version of the AP2 that’s more forgiving and feel as good?

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

What's clear is that brands are defining their own category of iron models and who it's designed for, making it difficult at times to compare brands. I think Titleist has done the best job of balancing their iron product line for various golfers without over/under doing it. 

After getting irons months ago during the T Series fitting, I can confidently say that my iron golf ho days are over (unless Titleist knocks it out of the park again in a few years lol). The aesthetics are comparable to none, and the feel is amazing. It's like a reincarnated modern AP2. I also gave the T200s a shot for my 6-4i and man are they killer. I got them 1* weak to blend in perfectly with my T150s and even then, it has such a nice penetrating flight without losing spin or flaring sky high. One thing I always appreciated is how Titleist is really focusing on the leading edge for each club and optimizing it using Bob's insight as well. If I were to nitpick at other brands, it's probably the leading edge design. 

You can't go wrong with this year's Titleist release. 

• Like 1

TSR3 9* w/ Ventus Blue 6S

Stealth+ 15* w/ Ventus Blue 7S

TSR3 18* w/ Tour AD UB 8S

23' T200 4-6 w/ AMT White S300 Onyx

23' T150 7-PW w/ AMT White S300 Onyx

RTX 6 ZipCore 52, 56, 60 w/ DG Spinner

Mezz.1 Max

ProV1

Please don't tempt me with your WTS/WTT posts...

8 minutes ago, BallerNate said:

So with the T150 not being foam-filled, and being similar in size to the P770’s, sounds to me like they may be a resurrection of the AP2’s?

I had a set of AP2 714 last season that felt and looked fantastic! I found the ‘23 P770’s to be more forgiving and probably felt just as good.

But sounds like the T150 could be a new age version of the AP2 that’s more forgiving and feel as good?

What are you looking for in forgiveness?  

I think the t100 compare well to ap2s. Traditional lofts, tungsten in perimeter of sole, and mid to high spin heads.  I don’t think anyone will hit the ap2 the same distance they hit the t150 considering they are about 2-3 degrees weaker in loft.

The t150 is a t100 with stronger lofts and bit more tech to launch high (loft for loft) and give you more ball speed.  T150, t100, and ap2 are going to spin measurable more for most golfers than p770.

i noticed the p770 wanted to launch high, far and straight due to it being low spin. 

Edited by Pnwpingi210

4 minutes ago, Pnwpingi210 said:

What are you looking for in forgiveness?  

I think the t100 compare well to ap2s. Traditional lofts, tungsten in perimeter of sole, and mid to high spin heads.  I don’t think anyone will hit the ap2 the same distance they hit the t150 considering they are about 2-3 degrees weaker in loft.

The t150 is a t100 with stronger lofts and bit more tech to launch high (loft for loft) and give you more ball speed.  T150, t100, and ap2 are going to spin measurable more for most golfers than p770.

i noticed the p770 wanted to launch high, far and straight due to it being low spin. 

I hit the T150s about 3 weeks ago (waiting to be built as we speak) and I think the T150 are a closer comparison to the AP2 than the T100. I believe the choice to rebrand in 2019 to T100 was because the sole, offset, and topline were shrinking due to tour input. I think the AP2 had shrunk so much over the years, that it was no longer addressing the target audience anymore. Rather then cause confusion, it's easier to rename the club. It could be an optical illusion, but since 2019 I could swear the T100 topline has gotten even thinner. Because of this, I think Titleist realized that they were missing the most popular segment in the market. A forgiving, confidence inspiring iron for better players that want to keep their day job.

If you get hung up on the specs of the T150 vs AP2,  I think you're missing the comparison. They have engineered the 150 to achieve similar peak heights as traditionally lofted irons. It's not marketing, it can be proven with peak height and descent angle. I have an OG AP2 in my garage and the resemblance is uncanny: medium sized rolled topline, medium width sole, minimal offset, muscle channel filled with a dense rubbery compound. I think any golfer that played the AP2 for an extended period of time will immediately recognize the 150.

LTDx LS 11.5* - Tensei White 65X

G430 Max 15* - Ping Chrome 75S

King Tec Hybrid 19* - MMT 80S

T150 4-PW - PX 6.5

SM8 50F @ 49, 54S @ 55, 60M

SC NP2

7 minutes ago, rsballer10 said:

I hit the T150s about 3 weeks ago (waiting to be built as we speak) and I think the T150 are a closer comparison to the AP2 than the T100. I believe the choice to rebrand in 2019 to T100 was because the sole, offset, and topline were shrinking due to tour input. I think the AP2 had shrunk so much over the years, that it was no longer addressing the target audience anymore. Rather then cause confusion, it's easier to rename the club. It could be an optical illusion, but since 2019 I could swear the T100 topline has gotten even thinner. Because of this, I think Titleist realized that they were missing the most popular segment in the market. A forgiving, confidence inspiring iron for better players that want to keep their day job.

If you get hung up on the specs of the T150 vs AP2,  I think you're missing the comparison. They have engineered the 150 to achieve similar peak heights as traditionally lofted irons. It's not marketing, it can be proven with peak height and descent angle. I have an OG AP2 in my garage and the resemblance is uncanny: medium sized rolled topline, medium width sole, minimal offset, muscle channel filled with a dense rubbery compound. I think any golfer that played the AP2 for an extended period of time will immediately recognize the 150.

I don’t disagree with this mostly.  I think my point if you hit an ap2 side by side with an t150 in their stock lofts you are going to see more ball speed and carry from the t150.  Probably close to a club for most.    Some players need or want this, some don’t.  

There was considerable amount of full sets of  ap2 on tour, I don’t think you will see much pga adoption of the t150 in the short to mid irons.  Senior tour and lpga perhaps.

Aesthetically I agree with you.  They knocked it out of the park aesthetically.

Edited by Pnwpingi210

@Pnwpingi210 @rsballer10 Truth be told, I haven’t even tested the T100 because I found them way too compact, and the top line is too thin for my tastes. 

In other words, they’re terrifying to me, Lol.

I loved the AP2 714’s, but just found the long irons pretty challenging to hit consistently.

I went from AP2 714 to P7MC, and then to ‘23 P770.

For sure the feel of the P770 are not as good as the AP2 714, and the feel of the P7MC wasn’t as good as the AP2’s either.

If there’s a club with the forgiveness of the P770 and the feel of the AP2 714 though, I would be exxxxxtremely tempted for sure!!

• Like 1

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

7mc not as good as the 714ap2? Bruh……

as the kids would say… “you cappin’ bruh”.

Edited by Kale_m
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Callaway triple Diamond paradym 9*- hulk 60tx 

Callaway paradym triple diamond - hulk 70tx 

Titleist TSi3 20* hybrid Matrix Black Tie 90x 
Srixon zx7mkii 456 / ZForgedii 789P- MMT 125tx 
Cleveland RTX6 50/54/ S400 TI Onyx 
Vokey Wedgeworks 60* V-grind 
LAB DF3 

Just now, Kale_m said:

I personally found the AP2 714 to be more forgiving than the ‘21 P7MC, and they felt better. 

But that’s for me, everyone has their own perspective and feel is definitely subjective.

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

46 minutes ago, Pnwpingi210 said:

I don’t disagree with this mostly.  I think my point if you hit an ap2 side by side with an t150 in their stock lofts you are going to see more ball speed and carry from the t150.  Probably close to a club for most.    Some players need or want this, some don’t.  

There was considerable amount of full sets of  ap2 on tour, I don’t think you will see much pga adoption of the t150 in the short to mid irons.  Senior tour and lpga perhaps.

Aesthetically I agree with you.  They knocked it out of the park aesthetically.

I can see your point with the ball speed and carry differences. I don't see much tour usage in the immediate future either. With how good the T100 is, and with it lofted similar to irons the pros have played in the past I see no reason for any of them to switch. I am curious if that changes over time however, as stopping power is actually more correlated with landing angle than spin. Or, do players pair an iron like this with a higher spinning ball? I think Matt Blois did a video where he tested the kirkland balls with a P790. That's an extreme example, but I could see Prov1/T100 players switching to Prov1x/T150, getting a half club of distance, more forgiveness,  and the same stopping power. Just thinking out loud here. 

LTDx LS 11.5* - Tensei White 65X

G430 Max 15* - Ping Chrome 75S

King Tec Hybrid 19* - MMT 80S

T150 4-PW - PX 6.5

SM8 50F @ 49, 54S @ 55, 60M

SC NP2

Just now, rsballer10 said:

I can see your point with the ball speed and carry differences. I don't see much tour usage in the immediate future either. With how good the T100 is, and with it lofted similar to irons the pros have played in the past I see no reason for any of them to switch. I am curious if that changes over time however, as stopping power is actually more correlated with landing angle than spin. Or, do players pair an iron like this with a higher spinning ball? I think Matt Blois did a video where he tested the kirkland balls with a P790. That's an extreme example, but I could see Prov1/T100 players switching to Prov1x/T150, getting a half club of distance, more forgiveness,  and the same stopping power. Just thinking out loud here. 

Irons on the tour are all about control.  They want to consistently see the ball do the same things based on how they manipulate the club.  Anecdotally looking at winners on pga tour with titleist irons in bag this season, most are playing the mb or cb in pw - 5 irons.  A couple move to a t100 in the long iron.  Tom Kim is a notable example playing a full set of t100.  They have zero problem hitting a 180+ 7 iron, and most don’t desire to hit it further.  

2 hours ago, Kale_m said:

as the kids would say… “you cappin’ bruh”.

LOL....I loved the feel of the P7MC....as good as anything i've hit.

• Like 3

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

On 8/25/2023 at 9:25 PM, Tommyboi95 said:

Only hit the 4i in the 150, saw some really solid ball speed numbers. For me, really cut through the turf very nicely. (I struggle w/ turf interaction w thicker soles. zx7s t200 etc.) Currently play 0317 STs, but it’ll be a shootout come January Apex CB/MB, 7MC/MB and t150/100. 

may the best iron win!

Really looking forward to these head-to-head comps!

Please bring the results back to the thread if you can when it happens!

-T.C.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BallerNate said:

Played the old P770s for over 2 years, with Steelfiber and Steel shafts.  Just got the T150s.  T150 just feels much softer, especially low on the face.  Also like soles better out of the rough so far, but that is really subjective to me.  They are definitely more forgiving than my old 714 AP2s.  Super happy with my purchase so far.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, MtlJeff said:

LOL....I loved the feel of the P7MC....as good as anything i've hit.

Feel is definitely very subjective.

I personally thought my previous AP2 714, ZX7, and even ‘14 Tour Preferred MC/MB felt better/softer than the ‘21 P7MC that I owned.

That’s why I moved on from them…the ‘23 P770’s were much more forgiving, and didn’t think the ‘21 P7MC felt that much better.

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

30 minutes ago, Steve P OAK said:

Played the old P770s for over 2 years, with Steelfiber and Steel shafts.  Just got the T150s.  T150 just feels much softer, especially low on the face.  Also like soles better out of the rough so far, but that is really subjective to me.  They are definitely more forgiving than my old 714 AP2s.  Super happy with my purchase so far.

Very interesting…good to know, thanks!

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

16 minutes ago, BallerNate said:

Feel is definitely very subjective.

I personally thought my previous AP2 714, ZX7, and even ‘14 Tour Preferred MC/MB felt better/softer than the ‘21 P7MC that I owned.

That’s why I moved on from them…the ‘23 P770’s were much more forgiving, and didn’t think the ‘21 P7MC felt that much better.

But that's the prior gen P7MC right? Maybe that one had a different feel--you could totally be right

I hit the current gen only

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

3 hours ago, BallerNate said:

I personally found the AP2 714 to be more forgiving than the ‘21 P7MC, and they felt better. 

But that’s for me, everyone has their own perspective and feel is definitely subjective.

Are you hitting it out the middle? 

I just don’t see how a multi material iron with a welded on face can feel better than a fully forged single piece of forged metal. 

• Like 3

Callaway triple Diamond paradym 9*- hulk 60tx 

Callaway paradym triple diamond - hulk 70tx 

Titleist TSi3 20* hybrid Matrix Black Tie 90x 
Srixon zx7mkii 456 / ZForgedii 789P- MMT 125tx 
Cleveland RTX6 50/54/ S400 TI Onyx 
Vokey Wedgeworks 60* V-grind 
LAB DF3 

27 minutes ago, Kale_m said:

I just don’t see how a multi material iron with a welded on face can feel better than a fully forged single piece of forged metal. 

I think you are nailing it here.  If you not centering and compressing it, the forged clubs transmit more vibration.  I think the tpu adds a sense of compression which probably translates to softnessz

• Like 2

2 hours ago, iNeedMoreGolf said:

I mean how forgiving are we talking here?? Are they as forgiving as og zx7 or more forgiving??

They are not SGI's or anything but i've hit plenty of balls thin, out towards the toe, or heel....that still go pretty well. At the end of the day they are a smallish iron though not super small. And they will perform very well if you go in with that expectation. 

Ping G series these are not---But if you are a relatively good iron player, you will probably think these are quite forgiving

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

2 hours ago, iNeedMoreGolf said:

I mean how forgiving are we talking here?? Are they as forgiving as og zx7 or more forgiving??

They will be similar.  Big difference is soles.  T150 is thin and relatively flat.  Srixon has a vsole that plays different.

similar ball speeds.  T150 will launch higher and spin more for most players

Edited by Pnwpingi210

3 hours ago, Kale_m said:

2 hours ago, Pnwpingi210 said:

I think you are nailing it here.  If you not centering and compressing it, the forged clubs transmit more vibration.  I think the tpu adds a sense of compression which probably translates to softnessz

Those are fair questions, 100%.

It’s definitely accurate that the AP2 714, ZX7, ‘14 Tour Preffered MC/MB, and ‘23 P770 were all Irons that I used in middle or ends of seasons, whereas the ‘21 P7MC I picked over over the Winter this past season and used them early in the season.

So yes, my ball-striking was better further into the other seasons when I used those other Irons, and I struggled with consistent contact with the P7MC’s.

So for sure, if you’re not centering the ball with irons like the P7MC, it leads to some rough days at the office.

I could’ve gamed the P7MC 7-PW in a combo set with P770’s in the long irons, but I’ll absolutely admit that I struggled badly to hit the P7MC long irons…100%.

Edited by BallerNate

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX