2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

If score was number 1 priority?

David87

Hi WRX,

Greetings from Denmark.

What would your bag consist of if scoring low was your number 1 priority?

I am a ~6 handicapper and the below is my current set of clubs:

TSR2 driver

TSI2 3-wood

TSI2 7-Wood

JPX Forged 923 4-PW

Vokey 49, 54, 60

Scotty Cameron Phantom X8.5

Sometimes I feel that I could potentially put together a bag that would result i lower scores (if I put my ego aside). 

As a example - my TSR2 driver has been cut down to 45", which has helped me to find the center more often. Furthermore, ballstriking is not my strength and for that reason I feel that a hybrid would be better than a 4-iron? 

Hit me with your best "I put my ego aside and did this to lower my score" 🙂

• Like 3

honestly without any idea of strokes gained or other data to see if its long game, short game, proximity to hole etc....its just internet chatter. 

Lower end caps, generally get around the course OK. I'm in the 4i (especially a stronger lofted one) is for specific shots/high speed peeps and hybrids are the way to go.

Short game short game short game. How forgiving is that Scotty? Is it well fit? I for years thought 'ick, gimmick' when I saw odyssey ball putters. Must be for people learning the game, not this fella. 

Well, earlier this year I bought a CPO 2 ball 10 putter and its stuck hard in the bag. Its just more forgiving for me vs. my Toulon memphis let alone a blade like my old Answer 2. I am one with the putter Borg 😄

• Like 1

If you are not a consistent ball striker, than lessons may be a place to start.

Otherwise if you are already contemplating a move from the 4 iron, then start looking at hybrids or a more forgiving iron.  Possibly get a 4 or 5 wood if 3 wood is a weakness?

You have a decent bag for your handicap.

Edited by Puttersaurus Rex

Have Fun - Ready Golf - Repair Divots/Marks - FORE

It depends, in part, on how much time one has to devote to the game.

In your case...

21 minutes ago, David87 said:

Furthermore, ballstriking is not my strength and for that reason I feel that a hybrid would be better than a 4-iron? 

Would a lesson or two maybe help you shore up your ballstriking? It center-stripe hits are elusive, I question if some magic club will solve the problem. If you could improve ball-striking just a bit, this might give you two more GIR per round, and more first putts of 20 feet rather than 40 feet.

As far as 4i goes, have you considered going with a softstepped or lighter weight shaft to improve launch? You have a 7W just ahead of 4i which gets the ball up... a better controlled 4i that doesn't balloon might help your game more.

At a ~ 6 HDCP, you likely need to work on both swing technique and bag contents in tandem to get to scratch.

Edited by ChipNRun
Spelling.
  • Thanks 1

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

If trying to attain my lowest score possible, I wouldn't have a driver in the bag. I would play 3,4, or 5 iron off the box unless the hole was relatively wider then perhaps 3 wood. Penalties off the box are my crux so I'd do whatever I could to play with the same ball for all 18 holes. Of course, I'd pray to the golf gods for a half decent day with the putter as well.

• Like 3

Driver: Srixon ZX5 LS 8.5 - Hzrdus Black Gen 4

3 Wood: Callaway Rogue ST Max - Tensei AV White 75

Irons: Srixon ZX5 (3-P) - Modus 115

Wedges: Cleveland CBX Zipcore - Modus Wedge

Putter: TBD

Since taking up golf, scoring has been my priority, only I focus on solid ball striking and control, and course mgt, that way score takes care of itself.  For the most part, since taking up golf, I've played blades and blade like irons. 

Just went from 3-PW 620 MBs to new 3-PW T100.  Yesterday, hot 99' temp, difficult 70+/129 track, new irons, walked off with a 79.

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • Like 1
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo, Red 59S
  • TSR2 15° Tour AD-VF 74S
  • 718 TMB 17° 2i Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW MMT 105S Wedge
  • SM10 F52.12, T58.4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

1 hour ago, Brentwood said:

If trying to attain my lowest score possible, I wouldn't have a driver in the bag. I would play 3,4, or 5 iron off the box unless the hole was relatively wider then perhaps 3 wood. Penalties off the box are my crux so I'd do whatever I could to play with the same ball for all 18 holes. Of course, I'd pray to the golf gods for a half decent day with the putter as well.

I would find a mini driver that provided accuracy, and have that in the bag for confidence in finding fairways.

I might then substitute a 5-wood for the 3-wood - but that's me because my 5-wood is the most consistent club in my bag.

And I would ditch the 60* wedge, and play the 56*.  And if I needed a 60* wedge for a certain shot, I would use the 56* and play away from trouble.

• Like 2
Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

3 hours ago, tatertot said:

Hold on ... When isn't scoring low the number 1 priority? Is there some secret goal to golf I've  been missing? Have I've been doing the golf wrong for 45 years?

It’s actually about looking good and getting blackout drunk with the boys before noon. 

Actually, I totally agree with you. Scoring is always the priority, but I think there are people who don’t want to swallow their pride and play more forgiving clubs. It’s the same reason hackers play the back tees and have never taken a lesson in their life.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tatertot said:

Hold on ... When isn't scoring low the number 1 priority? Is there some secret goal to golf I've  been missing? Have I've been doing the golf wrong for 45 years?

I agree, if I thought a different setup or the way I played a course would help me score better, I’d be either using or doing it as soon as possible. 

After  few late round mishaps in tourneys this year I decided to go with the most forgiving clubs I could look at.  

1) dropped my Miz 223 Pro/x flex shaft irons  for Miz 923 HMP with stiff shafts

2) ditched 3 wood and got a Ping 425 2 hybrid (love this club for tight holes)

3) dropped 54 vokey for CBX2 wedge 

My driving was already a strength and good so did not change the 430 LST

Ever since then I've moved from 4-5 index down to 2.  I am way more consistent now with less blow up holes.  If I do start bad then I can normally get my sh$t together and shoot something not embarrassing!  

Edited by MyShortGameSucks
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Ping 430 LST 10.5, Ping Tour 2.0 Chrome 65X
Ping 425 17, 19 & 22 deg hybrids,  Ping Tour 85X
Mizuno 923 Hot Metal Pro, 5-GW, DG 105 
Mizuno S23 54 deg wedge

Vokey SM6 60 K wedge
Mizuno IOMI #3 putter

Titleist ProV1x 

Vessel Lux Lite Bag

A long game is a key for my improved bag for the remaining season. I added the hybrids for the first time in 10+ years. 6500 yards or less, I used Ping G430 Hybrids, 17 & 22, which provided me consistency with distance and tighter dispersion. 22* hybrid is perfect for me with the long Par 3s. I almost had a hole-in-one yesterday from 196 against the wind. It hit 1 foot behind the flag and rolled for only 4-5 feet. It was an effortless feeling compared to 3/4 irons. Those clubs gave me the confidence to focus on my next weakness! Again, it comes down to your specific type of course management.

Edited by Jbar
  • Like 1

13.5 BRNR | 22* G430 4H
NL 480-TC 5-PW | NL SPN-SS 50* | MG4 TW 56* & 60*
Scotty Cameron Fastback 1.5
| Pro V1

Checked ego equipment wise about 3 years ago and scores have never been better.  Like @vandyfan, I dropped fairway woods all together because they were costing me strokes, now go driver to 18 degree hybrid.  Also went to Cleveland CBX2 wedges and a more friendly iron.  Found a putter that works and now practice short game more than beating balls.  Was about a 9 hdcp in 2019, down to about a 4 now.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, jrg75 said:

Checked ego equipment wise about 3 years ago and scores have never been better.  Like @vandyfan, I dropped fairway woods all together because they were costing me strokes, now go driver to 18 degree hybrid.  Also avwent to Cleveland CBX2 wedges and a more friendly iron.  Found a putter that works and now practice short game more than beating balls.  Was about a 9 hdcp in 2019, down to about a 4 now.

There are actually people who play "ego equipment"? Who are these people and do they play money games?

If I thought it would save me a stroke a season, my bag would be filled with chippers, 72* wedges and Hammer drivers.

I mean ... More than it already is.

• Haha 2

Driver: Titleist TS3, 8.5°

2 Wood: Adams InSight XTD, 10.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Cleveland UHX, 20°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Bettinardi inovai 6.0 slant neck, 34"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

15 hours ago, jrg75 said:

Tons of people play equipment based on ego.  Guy in my group plays Titleist CBs with X100s.....he rarely breaks 90 but plays them because he likes the feel and how they look.  He doesn't win a lot of skins in our group which doesn't hurt my feelings.

Sorry for duplicate post.

Edited by jrg75
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, jrg75 said:

Tons of people play equipment based on ego.  Guy in my group plays Titleist CBs with X100s.....he rarely breaks 90 but plays them because he likes the feel and how they look.  He doesn't win a lot of skins in our group.

I loved the "feel" of persimmon, too ... The one time every two weeks I caught one between the screws.

• Haha 3

Driver: Titleist TS3, 8.5°

2 Wood: Adams InSight XTD, 10.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Cleveland UHX, 20°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Bettinardi inovai 6.0 slant neck, 34"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

I think the biggest thing I've done to prioritize scoring has been to SUBTRACT clubs.

3 wood - not tempted to hit the wrong club out of bad lies and not tempted to roll the dice and try to reach with a club that I'll end up hitting poorly anyway.

60 deg wedge - not tempted to go for a beautiful, high, soft shot - which ends up flopping only half the distance I need it to - instead of just hitting a nice bump and run that gets close to the hole.

• Like 1

Driver: Cobra LTDx 10.5° Helium Nanocore

Fairway: Cobra RADSPEED 18.5° Motore X

Hybrids: Titleist TSi2 21°, 24° TENSEI AV RAW Blue

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP1 24° Recoil 780

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 AMT Red

Wedges: Vokey SM8 48°, 54° Dynamic Gold; SM7 60° Modus3

Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

8 hours ago, David87 said:

Hi WRX,

Greetings from Denmark.

What would your bag consist of if scoring low was your number 1 priority?

I am a ~6 handicapper and the below is my current set of clubs:

TSR2 driver

TSI2 3-wood

TSI2 7-Wood

JPX Forged 923 4-PW

Vokey 49, 54, 60

Scotty Cameron Phantom X8.5

Sometimes I feel that I could potentially put together a bag that would result i lower scores (if I put my ego aside). 

As a example - my TSR2 driver has been cut down to 45", which has helped me to find the center more often. Furthermore, ballstriking is not my strength and for that reason I feel that a hybrid would be better than a 4-iron? 

Hit me with your best "I put my ego aside and did this to lower my score" 🙂

Laying your golf-ego aside is the first step in your journey.  I agree with replacing the 4-iron with a hybrid if ballstriking isn't your strength. 

I know this is WRX, where 99% of people on here probably hit their 4-iron 295 yards with a towering baby draw that lands 1 foot from the cup, but, really, there is no shame in getting all the help you can.

• Like 2

Driver--Callaway Rogue ST Max w/ProjectX Cypher Black

FW-4/7 woods--Callaway Paradym

Irons 4-5--Callaway Apex

Irons 6-PW--Callaway RazrX w/steel Uniflex-- shafts

F2 Series Gap Wedge 52* degree

SW-Cleveland CBX 56*

Putter--Odyssey White Steel

Ball-Srixon or Bridgestone E6

I currently have MB's in the bag which may hinder me from shooting the lowest scores possible.  I might get a little more forgiveness switching to a player's forged or player's distance iron but chose to forgo it because I'm used to playing blades and like the workability.  The sharper leading edge also suits my swing as I tend to be a digger.  However, my ball striking with mid to short irons is good but long irons can get iffy at times. 

Edited by phizzy30
  • Like 2

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM Qi10 Tour 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

3 hours ago, MountainKing said:

That was my thought

I mean if anyone ever puts a club in the bag just for others may think of his or her game that’s not very smart. I’ve seen posers with blades that can’t break a hundred, and guys with beat up old game improvement clubs that break par every time they tee it up.

Edited by hammergolf
  • Like 3

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

If money wasn't a factor, I think I could lower my scores and have less stress out on the course with fewer clubs in the bag. But pulling clubs out of the bag willy-nilly would not give me that. Instead it would require ordering something custom from NCW or the like. And that's just not happening. 

TaylorMade SIM Max - 6M3 X

TaylorMade M3 - 7M3 X

TaylorMade TP UDI 2 - Modus 120 X

Mizuno MP-37 3-9 - S300

TaylorMade MG raw 50-12, 58-08, 60-07 - S300 (50), X7 (58, 60)

Scotty Cameron Newport AoP PP

21 hours ago, tatertot said:

1.  Most of the time.

2. Probably.

3. Possibly.

Life is full of tradeoffs.

The argument has been cogently made by some intelligent people that if you want to learn to strike the ball properly, SGI clubs in general might not be the best way to do it.  Other people disagree.

My personal observation is that it is quite possible for golfers who learn by playing  particularly to develop a loft adding swing with low CG irons (whether GI or blades) which they believe makes them a “decent ball striker” but which is in fact at some point a dead end.

I look at it this way:  if clubs that are designed to compensate for mishits accomplish that goal (which is itself debatable) they are only helping in the long run people with an essentially sound swing.

If you hit every shot on the toe, and you get clubs that compensate for it, what have you accomplished?  You may score better, but so what?

Playing well is the goal, scoring well the byproduct.  Clubs that upset that relation are IMO rightly considered perverse.

When you speak of ego, the most egotistical thing in golf may be that people think their scores or handicaps matter.

• Like 3