2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

G430 Hybrid - Negative Experience?

tomathist

I replaced both my 4&5 hybrids from Callaway Epic Flash to Ping G430 a few months ago. I have tested a few models like the Stealth and Paradym etc. The G430 gave the best ball speed on both good shots and mishits. The improvements on both carry and forgiveness compared to the Epic Flash are significant considering that the Epic Flash hybrid was pretty much the benchmark from 2019.  

That would be me. . I LOVE PING hybrids. I've had a PING hybrid in my bag probably 9 of the last 12 years. I loved the G25 and had it for years.  I loved the G410 and had it until the head flew off.

The G410 head flew off at the range right on the Friday before a league event. The PGA Tour SS couldn't get it repaired, so I treated myself to a G425. But I didn't like it at all and sold it quickly.

I never trust the repaired G410...my own hangup.  I ended up buying a Cleveland Halo Launcher XL hybrid last spring and it's been fantastic.  But I still miss having a PING. I tried it at a demo day this spring and was underwhelmed. But I figured I was just having a bad day and used some shop credit from league to by the 430.

It feels/sounds great. Very solid and hot.  I just struggled with accuracy. I'm thinking it was the Alta CB shaft in the 425/430 just aren't a good fit. When I got fit for my G430 driver, I got far and away better results with different shafts.  So, I need to do the same with the hybrid.

Edited by mantan

PING G430 Max 10.5 

Cleveland Launcher XL Hy-wood 18*
Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 4H

Cleveland XL Halo 5H

Srixon MKii ZX5s 6-PW Modus 105s

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 48*

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 52*
Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 56*

PXG Battle Ready 'Bat Attack' 

I'm liking them but I don't love them like I used to love Adams hybrids back in the day. Got aU505 on the way to try instead of the 4 hybrid. 

Driver: PING G430 MAX 10K 9 Mitsubishi Diamana WB 43X
Fairway Wood: PING G430 LST Fujikura Ventus Blue + 7S
Hybrid: PING G430 19 Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 7S
Hybrid: PING G430 22 Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 7S

Irons: PXG 0311P Gen6 5-PW Aerotech Steelfiber i95S

Wedge: Titleist Vokey SM10 50 F, 54 M, 60 D KBS 610 Wedge R
Putter: Odyssey Tri-Hot 7 CH 34 inches
Ball: Titleist AVX

I hit the G430 Hybrid extensively in a recent fitting. Great club. Performed extremely well. 

I just hated the look. The alignment dot on the G430 does not look anywhere near the centre of the club. The lines on the back. Not for me.

I went with the TSR2. Performed just as well.. but infintely better looking.

Titleist TSR2 Hybrid Review - Plugged In Golf PING G430 Hybrid Review - Plugged In Golf

Edited by bombs
  • Like 2

PING G425 MAX W/ TENSEI AV RAW ORANGE X

TITLEIST TSR2 5 WOOD W/ TENSEI 1K BLACK X

TITLEIST TSR2 4 HYBRID W/ TENSEI 1K BLACK X

MIZUNO 223 5-P W/ DG 120 X100

MIZUNO T22 50-56-60 W/ DG S400

SCOTTY CAMERON PHANTOM X7

I have a Ping G30 3H I bought used from DSG/GG.  At the time I had that 180-200 yard gap in my bag.  I still can't convince myself that I don't hit as long as I used to and get 175-185 out of the club.  Ping is the only hybrid I was ever able to hit without yanking it left.  Enter Cleveland Halo XL Launcher Hywood.  That club is a consistent 185-200 and easy to hit.  I have a mental problem with my 5i lately so I decided I need that 165-175 club so I went to a shop that has used clubs and hitting bays with simulators.  Tried a few old hybrids from ping, srixon, cleveland and adams.  I ended up spending $39 on a Cleveland DST 5i w/R flex shaft.  This thing is about as automatic as any club in my bag.  I don't even think about strike when I take it out.  I wish there was a modern hybrid that performs EXACTLY like the DST.  

Edited by wantacigar

I'm really the odd man out when it comes to Ping hybrids. By all accounts there are tons of folks who find them to be forgiving and long. On the other hand I personally have never gotten along with them. I do not find them easy to get up in the air for some reason and get only average distance with them.

19 hours ago, Dpavs said:

I'm really the odd man out when it comes to Ping hybrids. By all accounts there are tons of folks who find them to be forgiving and long. On the other hand I personally have never gotten along with them. I do not find them easy to get up in the air for some reason and get only average distance with them.

You’re not alone. I’ve wasted £1k recently on 4 G425 hybrids. I’ve looked in detail at the sole profile today, finding very little curvature when compared with several other hybrids I have: TM TP, Adams Ti & Snake Eye. 

This might explain why I can hit the Pings off tees well but not consistently off the grass. I prefer to hit down on hybrids so relying on the loft. So maybe it’s inferior turf interaction. Hope this helps. 

Edited by Pastit
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Teebs said:

They're very shaft dependent. I have the 3 and 4H with Hzrdus red 6.0 and they are very good. 3H is super long

This was something which occurred to me. Sufficiently so that I sought out some old Altus Reg shafts ( my favourite hybrid shaft ) from hardly-used Adams Ti hybrids I got for a song ( £200 for four or five ). So I’m out c £1200 with these Pings so far. Any ideas if the sole profile is so important ? I’ve never had trouble like this with hybrids, very disappointing. Being able to hit them well off the tee is rather conclusive do you agree ?

But I thought it pointless switching adapters until I had a few rounds with the Adams under my belt. I need to get some time this winter but it looks like the Pings are way inferior on what I’ve found to-date.  

These hybrids are a sweepers dream - hence why you do well off the tee, yet struggle from the fairway.

More muted than G425,  little hotter face with less spin = bombers IMO 

• Thanks 1

9 Clubs Sunday Bag

UST Mamiya - Lamkin - RXS 

https://forums.golfwrx.com/topic/1840618-witb-731-full-bag/

possibly bit of an off question…if so, please point me to the right forum.

I’m looking for some G430 hybrid advise here. Unfortunately I do not have much options and patience for a full fitting and willing to take an educated gamble…

Currently play a G25 23* std TFC189 (??) stock shaft hybrid and hit this about 185yrds
To match the recent upgrade/ update of my set, I’m looking for the G430.

I was fitted for the G425 driver 2 years back at 10.5* with a Tensei Raw Orange 65 Stiff shaft. I have a 95mph-ish SS.

I didn’t like the CB shafts in the driver at all..

Last year I was fitted for i525 irons (5-GW) with AWT 2.0 stiff shafts.

I am pretty pleased with the above set-up and am now looking for a hybrid, preferably Ping, with the right shaft.

Based on my current game, I assume (yeah, I know) a 22* loft would work and with the newer tech on the club would give me a few extra yards…I only need 10 or so more and mid to high flight to have the ball stop on the green.

Pings webfit suggests the #4- 22* with the Project X HZRDUS Red RDX 70 5.5 shaft, which seems a little light. I tend to go for the HZRDUS Red RDX 80 6.0

Any suggestions or ideas (besides getting fitted)??

thanks!

Ping G425 Max - 10.5* - Tensei Orange 65 Stiff

Ping G30 3w - 14.5* - Ping Tour 80 Reg

Ping G25 Hybrid - 23* - TFC 189 Reg

Ping i525 5 - UW - AWT 2.0 Stiff

Vokey SM9 54.10 S - TT AMT Black S300

Ping Glide 58* SS - CFS Wedge

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Vice Tour

I recently picked up a G430 6H with an Alta 70 regular shaft and love it. It is great off the tee, out of the rough and fairway for me. I'm planning to get a 5H in the near future and may replace my 7i with the 7H. 

• Like 1

Clubs: Ping (Driver, 5W, 5H, 6H, 7i-UW), Cleveland (wedges), Odyssey 2-Ball counter balanced

Ball: Maxfli Tour (yellow) or Vice Pro (neon lime); Callaway ORG 7 bag; Shot Scope x5

7 hours ago, Forrestx said:

I’m looking for some G430 hybrid advise here. Unfortunately I do not have much options and patience for a full fitting and willing to take an educated gamble…

Currently play a G25 23* std TFC189 (??) stock shaft hybrid and hit this about 185yrds

I was fitted for the G425 driver 2 years back at 10.5* with a Tensei Raw Orange 65 Stiff shaft. I have a 95mph-ish SS.

I am pretty pleased with the above set-up and am now looking for a hybrid, preferably Ping, with the right shaft.

Based on my current game, I assume (yeah, I know) a 22* loft would work and with the newer tech on the club would give me a few extra yards…I only need 10 or so more and mid to high flight to have the ball stop on the green.

Pings webfit suggests the #4- 22* with the Project X HZRDUS Red RDX 70 5.5 shaft, which seems a little light. I tend to go for the HZRDUS Red RDX 80 6.0

thanks!

I preferred Tour Chrome 2.0 85s for my G430 17* and 22* hybrids.

• Thanks 1

13.5 BRNR | 19* G430 3H | 22* G430 4H
NL 480-TC 5-PW | MG4 TW 56* & 60*
Scotty Cameron Fastback 1.5
| Pro V1

I’m one and my father is a second. We love ping irons and will probably play them until we die, but we cannot hit the ping hybrids for the life of us. We’ve tried multiple - g5, g10, rapture v2, g25, g, g410 and g430. None of them work for our game.

However we seem to have a tough time with hybrids in general as it took me 18 years to replace my rescue duel successfully (with a ts2) and my dad still plays said rescue dual for the same reason. He tried the g430 a few weeks back and it was a disaster with low smothered hooks. Hand him the dual and it’s soaring down the middle with a slight draw. I can only assume it’s down to the dual having a steel shaft and being shorter as I’m no expert.

Titleist TSR2 10 set at 11 Hzrdus Red CB
Titleist TSI2 16.5 Tensei Blue

Ping G 17.5 set at 18.5 Ping tour shaft.
Titleist TS3 hybrid 21 Tensei Blue
Taylormade 2023 p790 5-PW kbs tour lite
Vokey SM9 50°/12° SM8 56°/14° and SM9 60°/10°
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport two
Taylormade TP5x

[i]Remember there are no pictures on a scorecard, only a number. [/i]

Looking for 6 & 7 hybrid, getting old here and went to 2nd Swing, tried all kind of hybrids, Ping is the only one at that loft and adjustable with flat setting.

Tried the G430 and G425 back to back, love the clean look of G425 a lot better and no different in performance, trying different shafts, Tour Chrome, Alta regular, stiff, ended up with Tensei Orange pro 80 Stiff.  It is perfect for me, played 2 rounds with it already and love it.  The shaft has enough weight and with flat setting, very easy to control and shot shape a little bit without worry about hooking.

BTW, I hate counter balance shaft in my driver and also tried Tensei Orange in Super Hybrid and not a fan at all.    

Callaway Paradym TD 9, Autoflex 505.

Callaway Paradym TD 15, Autoflex 505X.

TSR2 7 wood, Ventus TR 6S.
Paradym X 5 hybrid, Ventus 7S.

Paradym X 6 hybrid, Ventus 7S.

Paradym AI Smoke HL 8 hybrid, Ventus 8S.
PXG Gen4 0311ST, 8 to GW. Steelfiber Private Reserve 95R.
Artisan 54, 58. KBS TGI 90.

Callaway PM grind 64, KBS Hi-rev.
Odyssey 2 Balls Armlock.  Vessel Player 3 Stand Bag.

20 hours ago, Forrestx said:

thanks!

I'm similar to you in driver SS... an R-S tweeter.   Counterbalanced driver shafts seem to mess with my tempo.   Maybe it's in my head, but even in "blind" fittings they've never worked.

If you like the shaft you have today, you might want to look for something comparable in weight.  In heavier shafts I tend toward R flex and S in lighter ones but often the weight ends up close.   

If the ping site is correct, the weight difference between the two RDX red shafts is quite a bit.

Back to the counterbalancing... tried it in G430 driver.   No bueno.   Tried Alta CB in the FW and was pleasantly surprised how well it worked for me, so you never know.

Have you considered the tour shaft in R?

3 hours ago, BlkNGld said:

I'm similar to you in driver SS... an R-S tweeter.   Counterbalanced driver shafts seem to mess with my tempo.   Maybe it's in my head, but even in "blind" fittings they've never worked.

If you like the shaft you have today, you might want to look for something comparable in weight.  In heavier shafts I tend toward R flex and S in lighter ones but often the weight ends up close.   

If the ping site is correct, the weight difference between the two RDX red shafts is quite a bit.

Back to the counterbalancing... tried it in G430 driver.   No bueno.   Tried Alta CB in the FW and was pleasantly surprised how well it worked for me, so you never know.

Have you considered the tour shaft in R?

Thanks!

My current G25 hybrid shaft is 77gr…so that would be in the same range as the RDX 80 shaft…

Play the tour 85 Reg in my 3W and it’s a beast!! Good option as well…

Seems like a fitting is inevitable 🤪

Edited by Forrestx

Ping G425 Max - 10.5* - Tensei Orange 65 Stiff

Ping G30 3w - 14.5* - Ping Tour 80 Reg

Ping G25 Hybrid - 23* - TFC 189 Reg

Ping i525 5 - UW - AWT 2.0 Stiff

Vokey SM9 54.10 S - TT AMT Black S300

Ping Glide 58* SS - CFS Wedge

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Vice Tour

Had the G430 #4 Tour 2.0 Chrome 85 stiff and went back to my G425 with Rogue TS. Much more consistent. Tried the Rogue in the G430 but still like the G425 better

PING G430 LST 10.5 Ventus Velocore Blue 6S

Titleist TSR2 15 Tensei 1K Black 75S

Titleist TSi2 18 Ventus Velocore Red 7S

PING G430 #5 Hybrid HZRDUS RDX Red 6.0 

Artisan FC 5-7 Axiom 105S

Artisan HC 8-PW Axiom 105S

Artisan 50S and 54S Dynamic Gold S300

Vokey SM8 raw 58-12D Dynamic Gold S200

PING Custom PLD Anser X stainless/Oyster

I have had nearly every PING hybrid for many years. The G430 compared to recent releases is slightly more muted sound but it's hot with lots of ball speed. It's long. I put my usual hybrid shaft in, Diamana Thump 90x. I also turned it up to 20 degrees just to get the launch/distance correct for me. 

• 2 months later...

Is anyone finding the g430 hybrids to be too long and low spin? 

I have a 22* that I'm finding is hard to gap with after my 5 iron even in the + loft settings. I'm getting some low spinners that go 8-10yds further at times as well on top of the overall.

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / CHICAGOTC

On 9/6/2023 at 6:16 AM, bombs said:

I hit the G430 Hybrid extensively in a recent fitting. Great club. Performed extremely well. 

I just hated the look. The alignment dot on the G430 does not look anywhere near the centre of the club. The lines on the back. Not for me.

I went with the TSR2. Performed just as well.. but infintely better looking.

Titleist TSR2 Hybrid Review - Plugged In Golf PING G430 Hybrid Review - Plugged In Golf

I like the one on the bottom. That is the correct spot to hit it. Most players line up hybrids on the toe side and that’s why we always hear about hybrids hooking. 

• Like 2

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

Follow up from previous post. Didn’t love the 3-hybrid, but got a G430 4-hybrid with previous version Rogue TS 95 hybrid shaft and it’s not going anywhere til it dies. Medium launch that goes about 220 off the turf or 230 from a tee. Has been such a great club. Love Titleist clubs but never tried the TSR hybrids. No need at this point.