2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Played with such clowns today...

jholz

20 minutes ago, jholz said:

It happens...you get paired with clowns. How does one stay on ones game? An endless struggle for me.

Today, I got the mid-to-late 20s guys with a lot of money, who clearly went to golf camp because their parents made them, and now think they are the cats a**.

True to form, these guys can't introduce themselves or shake hands on the first tee - because - they've arrived about two minutes before their tee time and are going to play the "championship" tees.

Rather than drive their cute little golf buggy down to meet us, shake hands, and acknowledge our worth as fellow human beings, they yell across the facility to let us know they are playing a "two man scramble" today because they want to see "how low they can go."

I throw a "breaking out the scuba gear" line on 'em...blank stares in return. This don't look good.

First dude sky marks his $1200 driver. Second guy throws his 250 into the trees on the right. A couple club slams and loud "what is wrong with me!" comments and the conversation quickly settles into "the tee box isn't level" and "we just paid $76 to play here. This course sucks."

I hear "If this was a PGA Tour course, that would have been straight down the middle."

Man, this is going to be a long day. 

These guys weren't utterly ignorant. Both had more than my annual housing costs in their bags. They could swing a club. They probably had 40 - 60 yards on me through the bag. But, preposterous DJ/Sergio/early Fowler positions at the top of the swing.

Hence they can't put it in the fairway...all day in the trees. 

On the greens, their first putt is perpetually from 40 ft. Always the first to go.

First guy gets the read. Second guy slams it through the break and uncannily hits the flag - ball deflects to 15-20 ft. Over and over...

They confer briefly and decide that "on a PGA Tour green, that putt would have dropped. Give us a birdie!" High fives all around...

Yet, me and the other guy were away...you are trampling our lines. Ugh...

At the end of the day, I played some crappy golf today - but my golf.was straight up and respecful. I beat both of those guys - even though they enjoyed two tries, with preferred lies, and blatant cheating.

On the 18th, I made a point of shaking the hand of our unlucky fourth (who was a cool guy).

Told him I enjoyed meeting him and playing golf with him. 

Turned to the clowns and said, very pointedly, "all I can do is wish y'all a safe journey home" and walked off the green.

Seriously, f*** those guys.

Couldn’t give you a standard reaction because that’s both funny 😂 and sad 😖

• Like 4

I have to be honest here. This sounds like it could have been fun to watch. I think you may have gone about this the wrong way. Two bros wanting to play a scramble and just playing terrible sounds like a good watch. Sure I’ll give you the bad manners to start off the round but they were late. So probably tried hurrying off the 1st tee. To me it feels like they had a good time and you didn’t because they were bad golfers with expensive clubs. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Soloman1 said:

Sounds like a good YouTube channel name.

Bad Golfers with Expensive Clubs

Sounds like most of the people I play with 🤣

• Haha 4

Cobra F9 Driver 10.5 UST ProForce V2 HL 5F4 46"

Tour Edge Exotic EXS 220 16.5* UST ProForce V2 HL 6F4 44"

Cobra Amp Cell 5-7 fairway (set to 20*) Fujikura Fuel 60g S 43"

Maltby TS3 4-P Elevate MPH 95 +1"

Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 50*, 54* & 58* Apollo Matchflex Wedge 36.25"

Cleveland Classic Collection #10 35"

I play alone a lot and get paired up with all sorts of clowns, but also a lot of very nice folks that I have enjoyed playing with. Just the luck of the draw, but I usually just tolerate the clowns and play my own game. For me the only time it is a problem is when people decide to play the tips that REALLY shouldn't be playing the tips. This makes the game get really slow and that can be frustrating. I'm typically a pretty fast player.

My favorite is the young guys who play the tips, hit a 250 yard drive, and wait for the green to clear from 270 out.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Just put it in your memory bank as one of your many memories from the course. Some will be good and some that are bad will become funny down the road.

I remember many years ago my buddy and I paired up with these two guys. My buddy and I were 95 shooters at the time.. We paired up with these two guys that played the championship tees. They had very expensive clubs and let us know how good they were before we teed off. I will admit these guys were very impressive from the tee and fairway. The fun began when they had to putt or chip. Chipping went back and forth from one side of the green to the other. I think both of them three putted or more on every green. My buddy and I took most of our strokes getting there but around the green we both chipped fairly well and we both would one or two putt every hole. What was funny was we would hear them as we were walking back to the cart say I got a 3 or a 4 or a 5. We would laugh and say to each other they must be only counting their putts. It was brutal watching both of these guys trying to get it in the hole and what made things worse was somewhere during our round they felt the need to give us chipping and putting lessons. When it was all over they came over and shook our hands and the one guy said nice playing with you guys. Don't worry one day you will be as good as we are. I just had to ask what you guys shoot? Oh we were both in the 70's. My buddy and I got back to the car and broke out with laughter. These guys could really put the ball out there and they were in the fairway. Their irons were very good too. Evidently they never thought about putting in the time to learn how to chip and putt.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, bobfoster said:

Isn't pretty much every single thread, every single post on WRX a first world problem? I mean, golf isn't exactly the go-to sport in sub-Saharan Africa, Brazilian favelas, or Haitian slums, no?

Well, my comment had nothing to do with starvation, thirst, or anything third world. The op just makes my being out of kerrygold butter and down to one can of my favorite beer seem so trivial. 😉

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I've played with Top Golfers ™️ before.  I can empathize with jholz.  These guys are usually completely clueless about real golf and are so into themselves.  Too immature to notice that their "good time" is aggravating to anyone they play with.  I think the OP showed a lot of character to stick with these guys for the whole round.

• Like 4

Ping G430 10K 10.5º Chrome 2.0 S (on order)

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45" (soon to be mothballed)

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

It's amazing how traditional golfers will laud the environment of golf, how it is accepting to everyone, how anyone can play, how great it is to meet different and unique people on the golf course...then run to the keyboard to type a diatribe ending with "Seriously, f*** those guys."  Maybe you need to loosen up a bit and enjoy life a little more.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 11/7/2023 at 5:01 PM, rzitup said:

It's amazing how traditional golfers will laud the environment of golf, how it is accepting to everyone, how anyone can play, how great it is to meet different and unique people on the golf course...then run to the keyboard to type a diatribe ending with "Seriously, f*** those guys."  Maybe you need to loosen up a bit and enjoy life a little more.  

You can be different or unique and have fun, but you still have to have some respect for your peers.  Any sport, including golf, will accept except anyone who respects the game and their fellow players.  

Edited by Socrates
  • Like 3

Ping G430 10K 10.5º Chrome 2.0 S (on order)

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45" (soon to be mothballed)

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

10 hours ago, TayTaySlam said:

Can I get some elaboration on the preposterous top of swing positions 

Positions like this:

U.S. Open - Preview Day 3

Or this:

Swing Sequence: Dustin Johnson | How To | Golf Digest

Or this:

image.png.48605a20c54792f5bb1c65081d4dc13b.png

That's what I'm talking about. 

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

19 minutes ago, TayTaySlam said:

ok got it 

Is DJs that bad though there ? Looks workable . Other 2 very preposterous 

Lead wrist bend and trail hip positioning make DJ preposterous. Was playing with two guys. One like Sergio/Rickie, one like DJ. 

I do like the "Top Golfers" or "YouTube" golfers term. Hits pretty close to these guys. 

I like to term is as:

"people who like the idea of golf (as presented on TV) but have little sense of how the game is actually played" 

• Like 3

or
or
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

On 11/4/2023 at 9:40 PM, gripandrip said:

I play alone a lot and get paired up with all sorts of clowns, but also a lot of very nice folks that I have enjoyed playing with. Just the luck of the draw, but I usually just tolerate the clowns and play my own game. For me the only time it is a problem is when people decide to play the tips that REALLY shouldn't be playing the tips. This makes the game get really slow and that can be frustrating. I'm typically a pretty fast player.

My favorite is the young guys who play the tips, hit a 250 yard drive, and wait for the green to clear from 270 out.....

Then post on Golfwrx how they then striped a 5-wood to 30 ft. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 11/7/2023 at 11:43 PM, Socrates said:

You can be different or unique and have fun, but you still have to have some respect for your peers.  Any sport, including golf, will except anyone who respects the game and their fellow players.  

I challenge you to go back and read the childishly worded original post, and find anything that, put into the right context, resembles lack of respect for their peers.

This was clearly a case of an angry old man that doesnt enjoy life complaining about a couple of younger guys that dont conform to his distorted view of reality.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

Sorry, the OP had such a miserable day playing with those two what-do-ya-call-ems.  It sounds as though someone's expectations are too high to enjoy two young guys having fun at golf.

We've all played with guys like that; cretins abound, yes?  My solution is to not concern myself with those I play with, stay away from them if need be.  I don't play golf to socialize or find new best friends.  Sharing the course with 2 or 3 others should be easy enough.

I am reminded, the reason I took up golf was, so I could tackle golf at my desired intensity level and still play golf with someone not nearly as focused or skilled as I am.  Golf allows us to be social or not.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x, ProV1x or AVX

2 hours ago, rzitup said:

I challenge you to go back and read the childishly worded original post, and find anything that, put into the right context, resembles lack of respect for their peers.

This was clearly a case of an angry old man that doesnt enjoy life complaining about a couple of younger guys that dont conform to his distorted view of reality.

They showed up 2 minutes before their tee time ... they didn't respect everyone else's schedule to show up in a reasonable time.

• Like 3

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

3 hours ago, rzitup said:

Yikes dude. Let's back off the crazy pedal just a little bit. Decaf is always an option, mon frer. 🙂 

Having a sense of humor and some perspective on life never hurt either...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

or
or