2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Winter Months just SUCK

Tiptx1122

I go thru this every winter and I start to overthink things as how do people who love to golf and retired deal with these long winter months coming up. I have played almost every brand out there so no bashing here as I'm just curious as I'm not any fan boy to any particular OEM so getting another set of Titleist has crossed my mind so who ever plays more than one set of irons through out the year and has the opportunity to share their insight bring it on. 

So I really like how TM individually internally designed each iron different so can anyone tell just how much of a difference they feel from one another and how much better the the 21' line. At first I really wasn't too excited about them as the 23' looks were almost identical but the more I read into what they have done.  I'm impressed with what they say that the beauty lies within. I don't care if they have the mushy feel of PXG or feel like a Mizuno as I have had both irons and yes they are nice so I would just like to know are people who for the 1st time got the new 23 TM P-790 irons and how do you like the feel and performance compared to what you were playing. Yes as you can see I'm leaning more towards them

I still wonder if I need a back up set just to cure my curiosity as it seems like everyone has at least 2 sets of irons and umpteen number of drivers and putters. I have all the putters I need and I don't need to jump around to a different driver for next year as I do like the results I'm getting with what I have but we all know that there is not one particular brand out there that is really any better than the next.

I'm pleased with my T-350 as they do what they are supposed to so and I like the clean look, everything about them I like except I'm not sure about the shinny chrome look and how well they will hold up  I know no big deal for most as I'm not wanting to get rid of my T-350..no way. I thought I would like the new Chrome PXG but then I thought maybe the Double black would hide just how busy they really are. Now with so many price changes the resell value is not that good like it used to be but  I like what Mr. Parson is doing with the Hero's program.  

So before I go on I will say it's more of my chipping that will hinder my score as I'm about a 8-10 handicap with a driver swing speed on 92 irons about a 78-80. So by switching from a Players distance set to a GI set off and on is what I'm considering in doing as this is why I ranted on as long as I have. I don't want to go to 2 sets of GI irons as I have played many Players Distance irons and like how they look and play but turning 68 I jumped over to HaHa the dark side and got some GI irons which I will say to me they look better than almost every other GI irons out there but thats just my opinion as they aren't going anywhere. 

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

No idea with playing another set of irons as I'm pretty satisfied with my current set using Callaway Rogue irons but the solution to dealing with winter is to play winter golf. 

With the right mindset conditioning,  proper winter equipment and layering (3 thin layers), dry winter conditions (no snow cover) and walking, any able-bodied person can play winter golf comfortably. 

I've been playing winter golf in the northeast for 3 years now and coming from a tropical country originally was an adjustment but being able to successfully play golf during winter even as low as below 25°F is exhilarating.

Check out my previous post from another thread for details on my winter equipment. 

https://forums.golfwrx.com/topic/1907804-golf-in-the-winter/?do=findComment&comment=24651668

Edited by Golfbit2X
  • Like 2

Lifetime winning percentage (golf league): 17% (5 out of 30 tournaments over 3 years)

Driver: Ping G410, 10.5° w/ stiff 46.25" shaft, JumboMax JMX Ultralite XL grip; modified CG weight

3 Wood: Callaway,  ST Max Fairway Wood, 15.0°, Stiff, Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 65 Graphite 43.25" shaft, JumboMax JMX Ultralite L grip

Utility Wood: Cleveland, 18.0°, Launcher Halo Hy-Wood 3+; 41.5" shaft length; modified CG weight

4 to 8 Irons: Callaway Rogue X 4 iron, graphite shaft, stiff, +.5" shaft length; modified CG weight; 9 Iron: Callaway Rogue X 9 iron, graphite shaft, stiff, +.5" shaft length

Pitching Wedge: Callaway Rogue, 44°, graphite shaft, stiff, +.5" shaft length
Approach Wedge: Callaway Rogue, 49°, graphite shaft, stiff, +.5" shaft length

Sand Wedge: Titleist, Vokey SM7, 56°
Lob Wedge: Taylor Made full face - raw finish, 60°; Putter: Tour Edge Wingman, modified pistol grip, armlock modified 41.5" extended shaft, added center weight.

Wow 28 degrees and playing golf. Going on 68 I’m not sure if that’s what I could do plus courses in NE Ohio don’t stay open all year

• Like 2

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

Sim golf season is here. Basement practice are will get it’s use. Of course the usual club shopping. First I have to get back from the Big Island. 

• Thanks 1

Driver- Tour Edge EXS 220

4W- Sub 70 949X

4H- Sub 70 949X

Utility- Sub 70 699U 21 degree

Irons- Sub 70 749 5-PW

Wedges - Sub 70 286 50+54 degree

Tour Edge 1 out 58 degree

Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach #11

2 hours ago, 596 said:

Yes, winter months s*ck. Way too many northerners come down and everything gets crowded!! 😢

Hey now we are just putting money back into your Country Club as I used to live in Sarasota Fla. Lol

• Like 1

Time to start back up on my Concept 2 rowing machine and Total Gym as I’ve had a good 3 month layoff from working out as I was out playing a lot of golf. 

• Like 4

Similar situation in the northeast around Boston.  Roughly the same age at the OG poster and also looking to change to GI irons from players - losing distance, more due to poor execution but also due to age even though I'm a 8-10 HC as well.  Hoping to find a set that doesn't have large offset (yuck) and thinner bottom like the Mizuno HM 923 or 923 Pro or even Ping G430.  Some are better looking than others though and I'm finding it difficult to decide.

I've played down to about 25* at times, but liking it less as I get older.  Walking and warm, layered clothing, helps to keep you warm so it's not that bad although I prefer when it's above 35*.  Using a push cart helps a lot too and allows you to carry additional layers, winter gloves, etc. to keep warm on those cold days.

Winter is tough especially when it gets too cold or we have too much snow.  And watching golf isn't really an option either with limited events occurring for the next few months.  And just to make it even worse it gets dark around 4:30 in the afternoon too.

• Like 1

I honestly like that there is a forced off-season. I commit to other sports/hobbies for the off-season and then come back to golf in the spring reinvigorated. Rusty but ready to play. I think if I played full-bore all year long, I'd lose interest. 

• Like 2

Driver: Ping G400 Max 9° (Ping Tour 65 Stiff)
FW: Callaway Rogue ST Max 3W 15° (Tensei Blue AV 65g Stiff), Titleist TSR2 7W 21° (Tensei Blue AV 65g Stiff)

Irons: Ping i210 4-PW (TT DG S300)
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 56.12D Raw (TT DG S200), SM8 50.08F Raw (TT DG S200), 60.08M Raw (TT DG S300)

Putter: White Hot OG #7S Stroke Lab 
Bag: 2021 Ping Hoofer Lite (Grey/Navy/Scarlet)

I think if I played all year I would buy more golf clubs Lol

46 minutes ago, jvincent said:

Edited for me.

At least you just have to focus on 2 things not 4. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

Despite no leaves on the trees, Camp David remains at the top of the list when it comes to my cold weather favorites. 

To have any chance with the "classic" pin placement shown below, the player MUST stay below the hole.  The epic single back bunker design is not visible from the tee; membership poetically calls it "the treacherous beach."  Getting up and down is nearly impossible.  

It calls to mind, a reflection from George Eliot, 

Is not this a true autumn day? Just the still melancholy that I love - that makes life and nature harmonize. The birds are consulting about their migrations, the trees are putting on the hectic or the pallid hues of decay, and begin to strew the ground, that one's very footsteps may not disturb the repose of earth and air, while they give us a scent that is a perfect anodyne to the restless spirit. Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns.

image.png.44e1fbc30c381dceec58724be80d824b.png

On 11/12/2023 at 10:47 AM, Tiptx1122 said:

I still wonder if I need a back up set just to cure my curiosity as it seems like everyone has at least 2 sets of irons and umpteen number of drivers and putters.

This past year I worked on setting up a better backup set of clubs. But they're mostly just there for when I ship my main set to my vacation destination. That way I have something to play with while the main ones are in transit. 

I only have two putters though. One for each set. 

As for responding to your other points, I live in NY so I know what it's like every season to have to take 4-5 months off. I just use the time to try and work on my fitness at the gym more, and once in a while I'll play some simulator golf. 

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W
TaylorMade RocketBallz Stage 2 3H

Callaway Apex '14 3-iron
Callaway Apex Black '22 irons 5-AW
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Callaway Jaws (60, 54)

2 hours ago, Ferguson said:

To have any chance with the "classic" pin placement shown below, the player MUST stay below the hole.  The epic single back bunker design is not visible from the tee; membership poetically calls it "the treacherous beach."  Getting up and down is nearly impossible.  

My course has a hole like that.  An elevated green as well, making it even harder to get enough greenside spin to stay below the pin.

I got a Par 3 once.  Hit the ball into the deep bunker in line with the pin.  Hit a high lob out of the bunker.  Sank the twelve foot putt for par!

Edited by ShortGolfer

Sunday mid 50’s and beautiful day for golf.

Monday high 30’s after overnight lows in the 20’s and difficult getting tee into the ground.

Tuesday snow, course closed.

Today low 50’s and another beautiful day for golf.

Living in New England can be a golf version of an emotional roller coaster, especially knowing winter shutdown is looming.

• Like 2

Ping G425 12* set at the little - with a tour 2.0 65 stiff shaft

Callaway Steelhead III 18* 5W

Callaway Big Bertha Warbird 21* 7W

Ping G30 4-W, U, and S irons 

Ping Tour 60* wedge

Ping Karsten Craz-E putter

Being in the midwest, I actually kind of love winter golf.  Weather sucks, but the courses are typically wide open.  It can mess with your head though because of the loss of distance though.  

Driver: Cobra LTDX 9 degree; HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black

Fairway Wood: Taylormade M6 15 degree

Titleist u510 2 iron

Srixon ZX5 4-PW; ACCRA iSteel 115

Wedges Vokey SM9 58/54/48

Putter: Scotty Cameron Fastback 2 

yeah it sucks, but ill try to hit the sim's twice a month. And I putt inside my pad every day

Woods: TaylorMade RBZ Tour Spoon, TaylorMade RBZ 5 Wood

Long Irons: Ping Zings 2 Iron, 3 Iron 

Iron Sets Cleveland Blacks 2012 5 To 9 or Wilson Staff Goosenecks 1988 4 to PW or Hogan Redline's 1988 4 to E (no 7)

Wedges: Mizuno T22 (45/05) ,1969 Fluid Feel PW (52 degrees)  , 80s Wilson BeCu (54 degrees),  60s Wilson Sandy Andy

Putter: Ping Pal or Odyssey White Hot XG Marxman Blade. 

Ball: Yellow Srixon Q Stars