2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Callaway AI Smoke Triple Diamond MAX?

TmagBryce

PGASS has a component cabinet in the Callaway section where they allow you to build your own driver. The cabinet was full (10+) of TDM heads ready for purchase. Every stock shaft in multiple flexes too. If you want a TDM PGASS is a good bet. 

Also, they have demo heads. I did a quick session with the 9* head, and was a bit underwhelmed. Probably the balls, and higher loft than I play, but the head spun a solid 800+ RPM more than my TD. Forgiveness was about the same. 

• Thanks 1

Supposed to have mine in 7 days per Callaway Canada

10.5* AI TDS max … 46”, flat cog, Denali black 60x

Cally AIS TD Max 11.5* Ventus Black TR 5x

Callaway AI Smoke TD 17* Ventus Black 5x 

Callaway ‘16 GBB 19* Ventus Blue 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Cally Apex 5h 26* Apache MFS 85x

Ping i210 6-7 & s55 8-PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59* SF 125s

LAB Mezz Max

The TDM performed great, very easy to hit and maybe slightly longer. 

I was not swinging particularly well and got away with low misses as well as toe misses. As expected lost distance but still found them. 

Nothing earth shattering here for a slow swinger, but no regrets coming from the standard Max.

• Like 3

Callaway Smoke TD Max 9* GD AD VF 6s

Titleist TSR 2 16.5 GD AD UB 7s

Titleist TSR 2 21 GD AD DI 8x

Callaway APEX CB  5-11 Steelfiber i95 r

Chikara 54* Steelfiber 110 s

Chikara 58* Steelfiber 110 s

SLED # 1  35.5

50 minutes ago, Jim53 said:

The TDM performed great, very easy to hit and maybe slightly longer. 

I was not swinging particularly well and got away with low misses as well as toe misses. As expected lost distance but still found them. 

Nothing earth shattering here for a slow swinger, but no regrets coming from the standard Max.

That’s the feedback I’ve been looking for. Those who have came from the ai smoke max to the td max what type of differences have you seen better or worse  

46 minutes ago, AbSWFPGA said:

That’s the feedback I’ve been looking for. Those who have came from the ai smoke max to the td max what type of differences have you seen better or worse  

Honestly not a big difference at all, the good near center face strikes seemed longer. Not by a huge amount, but a few yards and at my SS I will take anything I can get.

My back / hip was killing me so really not powerful swings, just tried to make contact and was just as long as the Max when I was feeling good.

Seems like there could be more yards available when I get some hip turn.

• Like 1

SLED # 1  35.5

I am going to mess around with the weights and try the 6s UB to see if there is any change. Mine came with 10 back and 2 front @ 46" it is D3-4 so a bit more back weight couldn't hurt.

Launch for me was mid / high at +2 (9* head), so going to 10* or 9* with more back weight might be the ticket.

SLED # 1  35.5

44 minutes ago, Jim53 said:

Honestly not a big difference at all, the good near center face strikes seemed longer. Not by a huge amount, but a few yards and at my SS I will take anything I can get.

My back / hip was killing me so really not powerful swings, just tried to make contact and was just as long as the Max when I was feeling good.

Seems like there could be more yards available when I get some hip turn.

Would you say forgiveness was similar ?

After playing my first full round with it, I’m very pleased. I took it up to Fields Ranch East and had 71% of fairways hit. What killed me was my GIR 😒

With the driver, I find it spins but not too much. By judging the ball flight on the course, I would say it spins the same as my TSR3 or a touch less but launches higher and carries longer. It’s also more forgiving and I’m so pleased with this driver. I think a lot of people could slot into this driver. 

• Like 1

Callaway Ai Smoke TD Max 9° - Denali Blue 60 6.5

Callaway Ai Smoke TD 15° - Denali Black 70 6.0

Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW - Modus 115S

Vokey SM9 50/54/58 - S200

Bettinardi Studio Stock 35 Remix

Titleist Pro V1

10 hours ago, third-times-a-charm said:

Agree here. Forgiveness and MOI are VERY close to the retail Max model but with TD features, rather than being VERY close to the TD and having Max MOI if that makes sense.

IMO the TD M is better for people who wanted a Max model and leaning slighting to the TD model, than those with a TD model and needed a little bit of Max. Seeing lots of guys who had the TD and being a little disappointed in the neutral bias and higher spin of the TD M, but everyone coming from the Max model are like 'wow'.

I'm playing a UB 6 in mine and its a perfect combo if you like the performance of the UB line (I have it in all 4 of my woods).

Awesome feedback. Going to give the td max a try

• Like 1

On 6/17/2024 at 4:56 PM, JIG1411 said:

Just ordered one in 10.5 from them at the store and they told me it would ship in 3-5 days since it was "In-stock" they did accept the Callaway trade in Bonus however thier trade in value was $24 less on the AI Smoke Max I traded in or $48 in total than on Callaway.com trade calc. with 100% bonus.  

Well here is the latest from PGASS, even though they show TD Max in stock and the store telling me it would ship in 3-5 days. I may try to go back to the store today and cancel my order or atleast get my trade in back. 

"Your order has a estimated shipping date of 08-26-24"

27 minutes ago, JIG1411 said:

Well here is the latest from PGASS, even though they show TD Max in stock and the store telling me it would ship in 3-5 days. I may try to go back to the store today and cancel my order or atleast get my trade in back. 

I had an issue with PGATSS recently as I purchased a TD 7 wood that was in stock and then the day I went to pick it up they said it was cancelled because the inventory wasn’t correct. I also have yet to be refunded. 

Edited by MerryTex

Callaway Ai Smoke TD Max 9° - Denali Blue 60 6.5

Callaway Ai Smoke TD 15° - Denali Black 70 6.0

Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW - Modus 115S

Vokey SM9 50/54/58 - S200

Bettinardi Studio Stock 35 Remix

Titleist Pro V1

18 hours ago, third-times-a-charm said:

Agree here. Forgiveness and MOI are VERY close to the retail Max model but with TD features, rather than being VERY close to the TD and having Max MOI if that makes sense.

IMO the TD M is better for people who wanted a Max model and leaning slighting to the TD model, than those with a TD model and needed a little bit of Max. Seeing lots of guys who had the TD and being a little disappointed in the neutral bias and higher spin of the TD M, but everyone coming from the Max model are like 'wow'.

I'm playing a UB 6 in mine and its a perfect combo if you like the performance of the UB line (I have it in all 4 of my woods).

Spot on.  I love the TD, tried the TDM but it didn't wow me.  Sticking with the TD or something LS.  The TDM will be listed here shortly on the BST. 

Edit - I will sell this head for a deal if someone DM's me before I even get it listed!

Edited by runningblind11

1 hour ago, JIG1411 said:

If you're good with a stock shaft, have them check their component cabinet...it's the end cap of the Callaway isle. I've checked two local PGASSs, and both had multiple heads, which the store wasn't aware of. You might be lucky and be able to walk out with one today. 

• Thanks 1

On 6/23/2024 at 12:51 AM, Cactus Jack said:

PGASS has a component cabinet in the Callaway section where they allow you to build your own driver. The cabinet was full (10+) of TDM heads ready for purchase. Every stock shaft in multiple flexes too. If you want a TDM PGASS is a good bet. 

Also, they have demo heads. I did a quick session with the 9* head, and was a bit underwhelmed. Probably the balls, and higher loft than I play, but the head spun a solid 800+ RPM more than my TD. Forgiveness was about the same. 

I frequent our local PGASS during lunch and never knew they had a component cabinet. Only certain companies do have cabinets and i learned this today.  🙂      I went over to PGASS during lunch to test drive the TDMax.   The sales associate got me a 9* / Tensei Black (both S and X) and started with XS.    The numbers were very good but i felt like I had to work hard on the swing to move it thru the hitting zone - i did hit a few low or toey with still very good results.   I wanted to try to STIFF version and that is when I noticed the head was not a TDMax but a TD head.     It felt good, had great spin numbers (range 2100-2800) with minimal side spin - 157 right (baby fade).     I was shocked how easy it was to hit and it was forgiving.      

I informed him i wanted to test the TDMAX and not the TD version.   He was not aware of this head (as he told me he is now retired and doing this part time).   Great guy still learning his way around the store and I was completely fine with it.   He took me to the component cabinet and there were every head from Callaway along with multiple different shaft options.  I was shocked by this and told them they should promote this and make people aware of this "special" cabinet.    This is a smaller downsized Club Champion without being forced to pay 5x the price tag.    I started hitting many drives but to be honest, the TDMax was no where as good as the TD and I tried many different variation of shafts.   My all time driver shaft, the ADDI shaft did not help either.    My spin numbers were 3000 or higher, side spin was 300 left (I dont like left on golf courses) and it was 12-15 yards shorter then the TD.     I know the forgiveness is there but the TD is very forgiving for this style head.  I did not catch a few of my drives (normal miss is either low or toe) but they still got out there - higher spin rates but still within the right side of fairway.  Per the launch monitor, my misses with TD finished 5-9 yards short of some of my best drives with the TDMAX.   The smaller footprint allowed me to transition from TSR4 to the AITD head with ease.    I tried the 8*, 9* heads with different settings and the TDMax was not that good for me.  I am sure it is a dynamite driver but i just want  to make sure people are aware it is NOT a miracle driver for ALL.  You must go test it to see if the spin will match your swing.   

I also learned today that PGASS will honor the Callaway 2x trade in so I traded in a Mizuno G driver and got a AI Triple Diamond with Misubishi Tensei 1K Black 65.   I said the one thing that scares most golfers today - how long will it take to get this shipped?   He said you can take it today - they sold me the components separately - Head and Shaft were both itemized.  I ended up leaving PGASS with new driver for $119 after trade in.    Not a bad day shopping at Lunch!!!

The Charlotte PGASS had a few TDMAX heads that they have available to sale with 5 or 6 no cost shafts - they do have some 'custom' shafts that are $300-$400 price tag as well.  

• Like 4

Driver: Titleist TSR4 - Folds of Honor Ventura Blue TR / Callaway AI Smoke TripleDiamond 9* - Tensei 65 Black
Fairway: Taylormade Stealth 2 16.5 - Tour UB TX

7 Wood: PXG Gen 5 7 wood - AD XS

Hybrid: Srixon 4 Utility - Axiom 105s 
Irons:   PXG 0317 CB 5-G - Axiom 105x 
Wedges:  Titleist 54* F - MCI 105 SOLID  / Titleist 58* S - MCI 105 SOLID
Putter: 1st - Spider PROTO, Low Tide Stability BLACK / Odyssey Tank Stability Black CounterBalance / Goodwood M6
Ball: Titleist -Prov1x, 2024 TP5x, Tour B XS, (Left Dash is number 1 ball but 2024 TP5x has made this a very close race - i could play either)  

3 hours ago, Cactus Jack said:

If you're good with a stock shaft, have them check their component cabinet...it's the end cap of the Callaway isle. I've checked two local PGASSs, and both had multiple heads, which the store wasn't aware of. You might be lucky and be able to walk out with one today. 

You the man, just left the local PGASS with a TD MAX thanks to this comment. They got one head in today (in the cabinet)and were able to cancel my online order, (refund pending) but walked out with TD MAX head today. Big props to Rich at the Columbus PGASS, class act and was super accomidating/helpful. Let me hit the demo prior to taking the one they had to make sure it was what I wanted. Already had a Ventus at home so the stock shaft was a good option as a backup.

I have a regular TD on the way… I hit both the TD and the TD max the other day and both were great. Figured I give the TD a go first. Weird thing about the 2x trade in… you can send them a used ai smoke driver ($300 x2) and get a new one basically for free??? Dang, thats a heckava way to create loyal followers..

On 6/21/2024 at 12:38 PM, bryanwmilburn said:

From Fairwaygolf USA:

We truly apologize for the delay.

A large batch of drivers have arrived at our warehouse but did not containg the specification label of the drivers as promised by Callaway.

Callaway has transported all drivers to their Pro Tour department at Callaway in Carlsbad, California and are checking the specs of the heads.

They have informed us that they will complete the measurements next week.

We will process your shipment once Callaway transfers the clubs back to us.

Sorry for the delay.

Fairway Golf Support
fairwaygolfusa.com

How strange - I ordered on 6/7 and did not receive this email.

OG Stealth Graphite Design Ventus Blue TR 60X

Ping 425 Max Hotmelted Tensei Orange 1k

Titleist T100, Project X LS 6.5

Epic 3w/5w/4h - Tour AD-DI

Wedgeworks SM8 55.13D / SM9 60.08M

Scotty Cameron T22 FB

36 minutes ago, MysteryV said:

How strange - I ordered on 6/7 and did not receive this email.

I'm pretty sure all of us that received this email actually contacted their customer service and this is what they sent us back. Others on here can verify,  but that's how I received this same email from them.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, venditti said:

I'm pretty sure all of us that received this email actually contacted their customer service and this is what they sent us back. Others on here can verify,  but that's how I received this same email from them.

Yup^^^

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max 10K

Taylormade RBZ Tour 14.5 Tensei White 75TX

TaylorMade Rescue 11 19 degree X flex
TaylorMade P7MC 4-PW, Nippon Modus 120X
Callaway Raw Face Chrome, 52/58, Nippon Modus 125 wedge
LA Golf Malibu Arm Lock

Titleist Pro V1

If it fits you, it’s worth waiting for!

I believe I have now tried every head in this year’s Callaway and TaylorMade lineups and they are strong across the board. There’s always more than one potential fit and there’s a few I really like. Ultimately the TD MAX 9 degree at 45.5 inches with a TPT 17 Lo shaft is my best fit.

The driver is very workable, excellent blend of great forgiveness and distance. Elite performance but also a fairway finder. I am a fan of the head shape and how mine sets up barely open from address. I added 6g of weight to the head via lead tape and it’s good to go. May buy a heavier weight in lieu of the lead tape but no big deal. For me it is a driver that likes to go pretty much straight, with about 5 yards of movement either way.

• Like 3

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

Well I got lucky yesterday and I had some cash from unloading some D Berger TM cavity backs

I had a Ping Driver and putter fitting in the morning at Ping Canada head office.  Before meeting my Dad for lunch I swung by Golf Town in Burlington where my nephew works … and they had 3 max TD’s.  WTF & schwing!!!!

(Callaway Canada has a delay on Denali blues it seems)

Dropped a Denali 60x blue from one of the 9* heads into the lone 10.5* head…  got my driver to the range last night

Sweetness with the OG velocore ventus black 5x at 46”…   High low spin bombs.  Very anti-left for me.  Playing today and will experiment with weights.  Thing 12g in the back vs stock 10 and maybe 5 in the front

also will add 1/2” to Denali blue and put a Cally tip on my ZF 50tx

lots of experimenting before my next tourney

Callaway ‘16 GBB 19* Ventus Blue 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Cally Apex 5h 26* Apache MFS 85x

Ping i210 6-7 & s55 8-PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59* SF 125s

LAB Mezz Max

15 hours ago, Red4282 said:

I have a regular TD on the way… I hit both the TD and the TD max the other day and both were great. Figured I give the TD a go first. Weird thing about the 2x trade in… you can send them a used ai smoke driver ($300 x2) and get a new one basically for free??? Dang, thats a heckava way to create loyal followers..

There is a $500 max trade-in limit.  Still a great deal though! 

• Like 1

Callaway Ai Smoke TD Max 10* 

TaylorMade Qi10 4W & 7W

Ping G430 4H

PXG 0211 XCOR2 Dark 6-L

Cleveland RTX Full Face 64/09

Swag Savage Too

Titleist Pro V1 yellow 

10 minutes ago, Red4282 said:

Hmm they shouldnt mislead me with this! Lol

IMG_6333.jpeg

Your trade in can be as high as you want. Max bonus you will get is $500

Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS with KBS TD Cat 4 44.5" 

4w: '22 Rogue ST LS 16.5  Tensei AV Blue 75x

7w: '22 Callaway Apex UW 21 80s MMT

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH 95

4-AW: PXG OG 0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long MOI matched

Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore 54 Full/58 Mid 

Putter: DF2.1 35"69* in blue

Ball: Snell Prime 4.0

5 hours ago, Red4282 said:

Hmm they shouldnt mislead me with this! Lol

IMG_6333.jpeg

# Winning at life 

No way we get these kind of deals here in the Uk ☹️

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5 degrees Driver/MCA Diamana GT 60 Stiff
Titleist TSR2+ 13.0 degree 3 wood/MCA Tensei Pro White Boron 70 Stiff
Ping G430 LST 3 wood/15.0 degree (@ 17)/MCA Tensei Pro White Boron 70 Stiff
Ping G430 22.0 degree 4 hybrid/MCA Kai’Li White HY 80 Stiff
Taylormade P790 2021 5-PW irons/Nippon Modus Tour 3 120 Stiff (soft-stepped)

Taylormade MG3 50 degree SB/Nippon Modus Tour 3 120 Stiff (soft-stepped)

Taylormade MG3 54 degree HB/Nippon Modus Tour 3 120 Stiff (soft-stepped)
Taylormade MG3 58 degree LB/Nippon Modus Tour 3 120 Stiff (soft-stepped)
Odyssey Ai One Cruiser Jail Bird 38” putter/Stroke Lab 140 double bend shaft
Taylormade TP5x/Titleist Pro V1x ball

Vessel/Cobra Tour bag 2022

After today’s virgin round, I can confirm this driver is the GOAT

incredible feel

four drives today were longest ever on certain holes

can hit high draws or low fades easily 

misses are minimized 

set at +1 draw, upped the back weight from 10 to 12 grams 

• Like 3