Buying golf shoes is hard

I tried on 30+ pairs of shoes at golf galaxy and pga superstore. I found 3 that would probably work and 1 that I thought were great. Left with the ultraboost. After walking around the house for 20 minutes in them, figured out that they aren’t going to work. 
The Ecco Biom H4 and GFore MG also felt pretty good. 

It’s a 6 hour round trip back to return them, so I don’t know if I’m going to just get a refund and order online or wear some Saucony trail runners this year. Rant over. 

• Like 1

Yep, went through that process of trying on every shoe in the store, mostly a miss.  Did this several times, different stores, also ordered online and returned them, with a few $$ wasted on return costs.  Finally ended up with the ECCO Biom H 4.  Have 5 pairs now. 

The effort and expense was worth it.  

P.S.there’s nobody in the store, or online that’s capable of helping you….

• Like 1

10 hours ago, dn0614 said:

I tried on 30+ pairs of shoes at golf galaxy and pga superstore. I found 3 that would probably work and 1 that I thought were great. Left with the ultraboost. After walking around the house for 20 minutes in them, figured out that they aren’t going to work. 

It’s a 6 hour round trip back to return them, so I don’t know if I’m going to just get a refund and order online or wear some Saucony trail runners this year. Rant over. 

Sucks man 

I feel your pain. 

adidas with boost are my goto now but it was definitely a struggle to find a pair of shoes that worked.  And like you took time and hours as well. 

good luck. 

Yadi for President

9 minutes ago, Miker20890 said:

Usually I order a bunch of shoes from Amazon to try them on. Much easier with free returns with Amazon 

Free returns are coming to an end with most retailers and Amazon.

The returns eat up their profits to the point that it's either charge a restocking fee or raise prices.

Every year I'm in this same situation. Every year the shoes seem to be made with "cheaper" materials that don't last and sizing seems to be so inconsistent even within brands. A couple of my favorites I'd recommend are:

Asics Gel Kayano, not the most stylish but very comfortable and supportive.

Adidas ZG23, super comfortable and on sale right now at most retailers. Fit true to size IMO.

Ecco S3, currently have a pair on the way. Best waterproof guarantee and very comfortable. Sizing can be a little tricky, I'm normally an 11 and went with their 10-10.5 size. Best to try on a few sizes of  Eccos before ordering online.

Edited by NailedIt
Spelling

Man, I feel your pain. I walk pretty much all my rounds and will walk 36 as often as I can. It takes a remarkable shoe for me to commit to. I used to run in Nike Pegasus but have been running in UA HOVR Sonic for the last few years. I'm very similar in foot shape to you. I know they get a lot of hate on here and I'm not really sure why, but I've found the Adidas Tour 360 to be the perfect shoe. Fits my foot perfectly and has a little extra padding right at the ball of the big toe under the foot. That's where I get sore if I walk a lot and these have been perfect. Might be worth a try and they're on sale everywhere as they prepare to drop the new version. I have four pairs in rotation and bought two more recently for the upcoming season. My personal thought is that if you don't love the shoe the second your foot goes in it, it's not gonna get any better. The hard part is finding that perfect fit, especially when you don't live close to any golf stores. Good luck

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 - D

Titleist TSR3 - 4W

Titleist T200 - 4i

Titleist T150 - 5-GW

Vokey SM9 - 52º - 56º - 60º

Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport

Titleist Pro V1

24 minutes ago, luckypolk said:

Man, I feel your pain. I walk pretty much all my rounds and will walk 36 as often as I can. It takes a remarkable shoe for me to commit to. I used to run in Nike Pegasus but have been running in UA HOVR Sonic for the last few years. I'm very similar in foot shape to you. I know they get a lot of hate on here and I'm not really sure why, but I've found the Adidas Tour 360 to be the perfect shoe. Fits my foot perfectly and has a little extra padding right at the ball of the big toe under the foot. That's where I get sore if I walk a lot and these have been perfect. Might be worth a try and they're on sale everywhere as they prepare to drop the new version. I have four pairs in rotation and bought two more recently for the upcoming season. My personal thought is that if you don't love the shoe the second your foot goes in it, it's not gonna get any better. The hard part is finding that perfect fit, especially when you don't live close to any golf stores. Good luck

I forgot about the tour 360’s. I have an older pair, probably the first year that the used boost in them. Have they changed much over the years?

35 minutes ago, luckypolk said:

What year? And how is the room in the toe box? 

@dn0614 @Kacy I have the 22s. Never had any previous version so can't compare to earlier models. I have no issues with room in the toe box. I have a fairly large forefoot and my second toe is longer than my big toe. No issues whatsoever.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 - D

Titleist TSR3 - 4W

Titleist T200 - 4i

Titleist T150 - 5-GW

Vokey SM9 - 52º - 56º - 60º

Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport

Titleist Pro V1

In the last few years I’ve found that my left foot is slightly larger. Not ideal as a right shoe can feel perfect to try on and a left shoe feels small.

Cobra King F9 White 9* HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g 6.5

Cobra LTDx LS 3 wood 14.5* Tensei White 70X

Cobra SpeedZone Tour 5 wood 19* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70g 6.5

Mizuno MP18 FliHi 3 Iron Tour AD Black 95X

Mizuno MP18 SC 4-PW KBS C-Taper Lite 115 X

Cleveland RTX Zipcore Black Satin 50/10, 54/10 @54.5, 60/10 @59 TT Tour Issue Spinner

Odyssey Jailbird 380

1 hour ago, onthebogeytrain said:

In the last few years I’ve found that my left foot is slightly larger. Not ideal as a right shoe can feel perfect to try on and a left shoe feels small.

My left foot is slightly bigger than my right foot, too.  I always fit my shoes by the left foot.  A little too big is better than a little too small.

• Like 1

I wear 14 wide, so it can be a hassle for me to find shoes.  Puma Pwradapt caged shoes are pretty comfortable.  No issues walking a round in them.

Driver: Cobra LTDX 9 degree; HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black

Fairway Wood: Taylormade M6 15 degree

Titleist u510 2 iron

Srixon ZX5 4-PW; ACCRA iSteel 115

Wedges Vokey SM9 58/54/48

Putter: Scotty Cameron Fastback 2 

11 hours ago, MattM97 said:

Aftermarket insoles can absolutely change a shoe just FYI on that.

Super true. For whatever reason my current Pumas have been perfect with no need for an insole swap. For anything else, just pulling the stock ones if needed and putting in the half inserts from Scholl's has been enough to make almost any shoe that's a pain work.

If someone can't find something that works from the fitting stations they have at retailers then Fleet Feet or what not can be a good next step.

I struggled with golf shoes for several years, 6 months walking, 6 months riding when it's too hot and I prefer spikeless for walking and spiked for riding. I was a FJ guy in the 90s because that's just what everyone wore, Nike in the 2000s until quality went downhill and spikes were impossible to change and Ecco in the 2010s, still make great shoes, the release of the original CodeChaos was an absolute game changer for me. I had never really liked the high footbed of Adidas spiked shoes so always avoided them. But they changed their approach with those and the ZG21s were also perfect for me. 

I've been buying Adidas on fire sale late season like crazy because I know my size with them and they have proven to be very consistent. It's like they make a custom shoe for me. I'd recommend trying the CodeChaos series to anyone, I know at least a dozen people who swear by them. 

On 2/9/2024 at 10:20 PM, dn0614 said:

Is it a *real* problem? I mean, I've had a few over the years where I has reservations first time out (even after trying on etc) but its always worked out at least acceptably. Often just fine by the 3rd hole.  I thought my last pair of ecco were for sure too small but by the 9th they fit like a glove.  On the other hand I have a UA pair I loved in the store but really don't care for now. But they're serviceable enough.

I have this problem for numerous reasons.  Unfortunately my feet came in Sasquatch sizing  which makes it difficult to even find my size in any stores.  I wear size 14 but over the past couple years I started to notice they feel a little snug in the summer time when my feet swell.  I had to end up going to a size 15 which is sold in no store making my hunt even more complicated.  Just because I can find a size 15 doesn't mean they will always fit well either.  Sometimes the shoes are massively too big and others they fit just right.  Its a real PITA when it comes to buying shoes but I still manage. 

Ive always worn Nike but last year I got a couple pairs of True Linkswear and I absolutely love them.  Super comfortable, good traction, great for walking, and some of the styles are actually pretty nice.  I now recommend these to anyone asking about golf shoes.

• Like 1

On 2/10/2024 at 1:31 AM, st1800e said:

Yep, went through that process of trying on every shoe in the store, mostly a miss.  Did this several times, different stores, also ordered online and returned them, with a few $$ wasted on return costs.  Finally ended up with the ECCO Biom H 4.  Have 5 pairs now. 

The effort and expense was worth it.  

P.S.there’s nobody in the store, or online that’s capable of helping you….

This is my groundhog day every year and I always end up going with Eccos.  I don't have terribly wide feet but like a wider toe box because I walk nearly every round.  I've tried Pumas, G4s which felt great at first but didn't work out.  And I am going to try the new UA Drive Pros - they sound promising.  But I'm sure a new pair of Eccos is in my future again.

Callaway Epic Max LS 9.0 Fujikura Ventus Black TS 6S
Cobra LtdX 3 wood Fujikura Motore F1 60S
Callaway UW 21 *
Mizuno JPX 919 HMP Nippon N.S.Pro Modus3 Tour 120S - 4-A
Mizuno  54* Nippon N.S.Pro Modus3 Tour 120S

Titleist SM6 58*
LAB DF 2.1  33"

On 2/10/2024 at 8:42 AM, idrive said:

Free returns are coming to an end with most retailers and Amazon.

The returns eat up their profits to the point that it's either charge a restocking fee or raise prices.

I highly doubt it, at least for Amazon anyway. In addition, they now offer a seven day try before you buy. Just did it with UA Drive Pro SL, which I returned. 

PING G400 Max 10.5° (+)
PING G430 fairway 18° (F-), Alta CB S
PING G430 hybrid 22° (F-), Alta CB S
PING i530 5-U, DG Mid 115 S300
PING s159 54°-W (bent 52°), 58°-B, DG Mid 115 S300
PING Serene B60
Maxfli Tour Yellow

On 2/10/2024 at 6:17 AM, dn0614 said:

Nothing extreme. I have high arches and my feet are a little wide. I run in Brooks Ghost or Nike Pegasus, so common/basic models. 

Sounds like I may share some of your traits, at least based on this description.    Need something with some forefoot volume but without extra in the heel.   I have the same problem with hockey skates.  FJ hyperflex have been the best fit for spiked, and stratos for spikeless.  

With FJ, the key is to find a model that works and note the last that they used for it, and stick with it.   Unfortunately the companies that provide that info are few.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Konklifer said:

I highly doubt it, at least for Amazon anyway. In addition, they now offer a seven day try before you buy. Just did it with UA Drive Pro SL, which I returned. 

Yeah Amazon and other major brands have massive contracts with shipping companies or basically own them. Plus returns are cheaper than retail space and paying workers. 

• Like 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

On 2/13/2024 at 7:52 AM, wannabettz said:

I have this problem for numerous reasons.  Unfortunately my feet came in Sasquatch sizing  which makes it difficult to even find my size in any stores.  I wear size 14 but over the past couple years I started to notice they feel a little snug in the summer time when my feet swell.  I had to end up going to a size 15 which is sold in no store making my hunt even more complicated.  Just because I can find a size 15 doesn't mean they will always fit well either.  Sometimes the shoes are massively too big and others they fit just right.  Its a real PITA when it comes to buying shoes but I still manage. 

Ive always worn Nike but last year I got a couple pairs of True Linkswear and I absolutely love them.  Super comfortable, good traction, great for walking, and some of the styles are actually pretty nice.  I now recommend these to anyone asking about golf shoes.

This is the answer, they have new models coming out also, free returns and exchanges, excellent CS, stand behind warranty.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T100s 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x