2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

How quickly things can turn around (or fall apart)

dgarland

I just recently had one of the worst ball striking streaks of my life on the course.  To be fair, it's the winter and I like in Pennsylvania so I'm not playing much but.. over the course of winter I played 27 holes without hitting a green in regulation.  Several were on the fringe but technically none were ON the green.  Then I played 9 and finally hit two greens in regulation.  This last time out I missed 1,2, & 3 then during a practice swing I happened upon a swing thought and hit the next 6 greens in a row.  

Now for the other end of the spectrum... at a local dog track (Conocodell if you're familiar with courses in the Chambersburg, PA area) I once hit 14 greens in a row then totally lost everything and ended up shooting 80 on a par 70 course.  

Let's hear some other stories of things taking a big swing one way or another.

• Like 1

Cobra LTDx Driver
Titleist TS2 3 Wood
Titleist TS2 2h & 4h
Srixon Z585 5i

Srixon Z785 6-PW
Callaway MD4 50 & 54
Callaway PM Grind 58
Titleist Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5

• 2 weeks later...

Near the end of last season, playing a 2v2 match for probably one of our bigger $$ bets for the whole season. Front/back/overall, auto-presses, and $ for birdies. I shot 3 birdies, one bogey on the front for a 2-under 34. On hole 10 shot par, but from there on out 5 bogeys, one double, a birdie, and a par for a 42. Luckily my partner in our match picked his game up on the back 9, so we ended up taking home some nice $$ that day. But sheesh, drives me nuts that on the front 9 the swing was as smooth as butter, and then it seemed like I forgot how to swing on the back 9. 

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W
TaylorMade RocketBallz Stage 2 3H

Callaway Apex '14 3-iron
Callaway Apex Black '22 irons 5-AW
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Callaway Jaws (60, 54)

I'm still in the phase of "Good for a short bit and then long patches of B.S." since getting back at it last year. My hopes are my recent resurgence out of the B.S. takes hold and I have a longer patch of good times. 😄 

Cart Bag: Sun Mountain C-130 Inferno (Orange) Carry Bag: Sun Mountain 4.5 LS (Red & Port)

The Sledge Hammer: PXG 0311 Black Ops Tour-1 @ 6.5° - PX Gen 4 Hzrdus Black 80/TX

The Dead Blow: PXG 0311 Gen 5 @ 11.5° - PX Even Flow Riptide 80/6.5TX

The Chaser: PXG 0311 Gen 5 @ 15.5° - Project X Even Flow Riptide 85/6.5X Hybrid Shaft

The Grinders PXG 0317ST (CB 3-4 / ST 5-PW) - DG X-Seven (Still Acclimating)

The Chisels- Tom Watson 56° - 60° - DG - S-Flex (Probably Should at Least Reshaft them)

The Mallet: PXG BR-1 Raptor Putter

I once started a round 6 over after 5 holes. Then starting on #8, I made 6 birdies in a row, which is still my record. 

Bogeying #18 to shoot 1 over really chapped my a** 😂

• Haha 1

TSR3 9.0 Ventus TR Black 6-X

TSR3 3 wood Ventus Blue 8-TX

M5 5 wood Ventus Blue 9-TX

TSR3 4 hybrid Tour AD DI-105X

T100 4-5/ 716 CB 6-PW X100

SM9 54D, 59V Modus 125W
LAB DF3 34” TPT     ‘24 TP5X

Early last year, I was striking the ball really well, then from about May I got busy with work and other stuff happened, and I began playing a lot less (think I got about 6 full rounds in from May to the end of December). 

During that time, I completely lost my swing, and I'm still getting it back. It's like I've forgotten how to swing a golf club. Even on good strikes, I've lost over 10 yards on my irons and about 30 on my woods and driver compared to early last year. Driver and the fairway woods are the worst; I was barely able to hit the ball off the tee on some days, and I am still struggling with these clubs.

Used to pride myself on hitting a small bucket before teeing off so my swing was readily available on the first tee.  Since Covid, there hasn't been too many buckets, I just show up on the tee.  My closest sense of falling apart happens more often than I like.

Playing more difficult rating/sloped courses over the first 4–8 holes, bogies can show up, as joints loosen, and I find my swing for the day.  Chasing my swing, I am not mentally in the game.  Over the front it appears, I am going to shoot something from the 80s, which can work nicely if a money game exists; my opponent bets according to what he sees. 

However, once I find my "swing for the day" and I always do, I card one over, even, or one under on the back, bringing my score to the low-mid-70s. 

Fall-apart or turn it around all depends on whether a person believes in himself, and can find the WILL to make things happen.

• Like 1
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x, ProV1x or AVX

I opened up my last round with two solidly played par fours leaving me ~5ft birdie putts. 

Missed both. 

Spent the rest of the round holding on by my fingertips and managed a wonderfully disappointing 78.

This was two weeks ago. 

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

I have an extreme case study on this that actually led to me quitting golf for many, many years.....

I was an avid golfer back in the mid 1990s to about 2008, playing, on average 2-3 times per week and hitting balls nearly every day.  I reached the point  where I could and would shoot mostly in the 78-84 range on any given round.  I even had a few rounds of 76, including one in Myrtle Beach, where we would frequently gather the family/friends and go for week-long golf trips.  Same with Florida.  I was in my 20s and early 30s, strong, flexible, former track/field state champ, baseball player, etc....golf was "easy" for me, until it all came crashing down one summer in Myrtle Beach.

Summer of 2008, I'm at my usual Myrtle Beach area courses on a golf trip, when suddenly I lost my swing, my touch, and my entire attitude/enjoyment for golf.  It was Lions Paw golf course, when it all fell apart.  I could hit it a mile, but in all the wrong directions.  How about a 285 yard hook into the next fairway?  Or hit a nice drive, then totally air-mail the approach to the green by 30 yards, then chunk two chips trying to get on the green where I 3 putt?  Or, hit a 280 yard power slice into the forest OB?  Add in about 11 of the greens 3-putting and I end the round with a score of 101.  I did this same thing for an entire week and had a miserable trip. I couldn't figure out why and I was too prideful and maybe "cheap" to seek help.  I'll figure this out on my own.....and I never did.

I came home and it continued.  One day, after a four-man, best-ball tournament, playing like a total beginner hack, I put the clubs away; gave them to my wife's club-pro relative, and gave it up.  I told him that it's just not fun anymore and, at the time, with two young toddlers and a very stressful job, I wanted a break from golf.  

Current set lineup:  Left Handed

Driver--Callaway Epic Speed w/Project X Hzrdus Smoke "R" Flex

5 Wood--Ping G425 Max w/Alta CB65 "R" Flex

Hybrid--Titleist 818 H1 in 23* w/Tensei shaft, "R" Flex

Irons 6-PW--Callaway RazrX w/steel Uniflex-- shafts

F2 Series Gap Wedge 52* degree

SW-Cleveland CBX 56*

Putter--Odyssey White Steel

Ball-Srixon or Bridgestone E6

Generally I don't have very many extended periods of good play, followed by a blow up. It's usually just fairly consistent meh to poor play. However, I remember one round where I'm playing quite well, I'm 1 over through 6, although thinking back I had started to struggle on 5 but had some good luck. I play the last 3 holes 5 over to end up carding a 40 on my par 34 home course. 

D-Taylormade SIM MAX D Diamana PD 50r

3w- Honma TW-XP1 

17° Adams XTD Ti super hybrid

4h-5h- Tour Edge Exotics ex9

6-AW- Cleveland Launcher XL Nippon Zelos 7

56°- Cleveland CBX Zipcore

60°- Lazrus

P- Odyssey eleven tour lined stroke lab shaft

I'm going through a weird phase. I've worked hard on improving my footwork and balance; getting rid of EE and creating space. As a result, my driving distance average is over 300 for the first time ever (last 36 holes) and I'm hitting over 60% of fairways now. 

Yet, my cap has risen over the past 3 weeks. Just yesterday, I had 3 shots in 9 holes where my newfound distance was my enemy, costing me 4 strokes by flying the target. I had an uphill 105 to the pin that I choked down on, hit an easy 54 wedge, and somehow still flew it 115. I had 128 to the pin, again uphill and choked down PW, and flew it 143. I'll tell you what: it sucks to step up with a slight tailwind and winter fairways (hard), stripe a drive 358, leave yourself 80 to the pin on a long par 4, take an easy swing and fly it 20 yards past the green into the hazard for a 6. 

Now, the problem is that my standard deviation of distance on my irons has seemingly gotten wider. The average is not different than it was before: 54-115; 50-128; 46-143 but I seem to be striping clubs more often, even when choked down. Better contract and lower trajectory is normally a good thing, but I'm getting these "wow" fliers that are killing my score.

I know; 1st world problems. I was a 3.1 cap but now I'm up to 4.4 in the past 3 weeks. But damn frustrating when I've really improved my ballstriking. I probably need some TM time to re-calibrate my distance expectations; the range isn't good for that with the beat up balls and elevated hitting area. 

Shot 43 on the front at our big tournament of the year 2 years ago. Was a skins gross/net tourney with a few hundred on the line. Thought I was out so grabbed a couple cold ones at the turn. Proceded to shoot 36 on the back with 1 double and two birdies. Turns out no one was able to win any skins on the front so with my play on the back 9 I won every gross skin and about half the net. I was an 8 handicap at the time. My dad was pissed because he had low round of the day but didn’t win a single skin. Good times 

On 2/29/2024 at 1:11 PM, Pepperturbo said:

Used to pride myself on hitting a small bucket before teeing off so my swing was readily available on the first tee.  Since Covid, there hasn't been too many buckets, I just show up on the tee.  My closest sense of falling apart happens more often than I like.

Playing more difficult rating/sloped courses over the first 4–8 holes, bogies can show up, as joints loosen, and I find my swing for the day.  Chasing my swing, I am not mentally in the game.  Over the front it appears, I am going to shoot something from the 80s, which can work nicely if a money game exists; my opponent bets according to what he sees. 

However, once I find my "swing for the day" and I always do, I card one over, even, or one under on the back, bringing my score to the low-mid-70s. 

Fall-apart or turn it around all depends on whether a person believes in himself, and can find the WILL to make things happen.

Agree with you 110%, Pepperturbo.

Never give-up as redemption is just another stroke away. 

I also call it my Jekyll and Hyde round and I've had more than a few of those these past 3 years since coming back from a 30+ hiatus. 

My most memorable Jekyll and Hyde round was at Bethpage Black where I shot +15 on the front and +5 coming home in a non-tournament round. 

Also had a really close HIO on hole # 17, missing it by 6 inches so this was a round I will never forget. 

• Like 1

Lifetime winning percentage (golf league): 17% (5 out of 30 tournaments over 3 years)

Driver: Ping G410, 10.5° w/ stiff 46.25" shaft, JumboMax JMX Ultralite XL grip; modified CG weight

3 Wood: Callaway,  ST Max Fairway Wood, 15.0°, Stiff, Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 65 Graphite 43.25" shaft, JumboMax JMX Ultralite L grip

Utility Wood: Cleveland, 18.0°, Launcher Halo Hy-Wood 3+; 41.5" shaft length; modified CG weight

4 to 8 Irons: Callaway Rogue X 4 iron, graphite shaft, stiff, +.5" shaft length; modified CG weight; 9 Iron: Callaway Rogue X 9 iron, graphite shaft, stiff, +.5" shaft length

Pitching Wedge: Callaway Rogue, 44°, graphite shaft, stiff, +.5" shaft length
Approach Wedge: Callaway Rogue, 49°, graphite shaft, stiff, +.5" shaft length

Sand Wedge: Titleist, Vokey SM7, 56°
Lob Wedge: Taylor Made full face - raw finish, 60°; Putter: Tour Edge Wingman, modified pistol grip, armlock modified 41.5" extended shaft, added center weight.

On 3/4/2024 at 9:25 AM, Kai Slater said:

I have an extreme case study on this that actually led to me quitting golf for many, many years.....

I was an avid golfer back in the mid 1990s to about 2008, playing, on average 2-3 times per week and hitting balls nearly every day.  I reached the point  where I could and would shoot mostly in the 78-84 range on any given round.  I even had a few rounds of 76, including one in Myrtle Beach, where we would frequently gather the family/friends and go for week-long golf trips.  Same with Florida.  I was in my 20s and early 30s, strong, flexible, former track/field state champ, baseball player, etc....golf was "easy" for me, until it all came crashing down one summer in Myrtle Beach.

Summer of 2008, I'm at my usual Myrtle Beach area courses on a golf trip, when suddenly I lost my swing, my touch, and my entire attitude/enjoyment for golf.  It was Lions Paw golf course, when it all fell apart.  I could hit it a mile, but in all the wrong directions.  How about a 285 yard hook into the next fairway?  Or hit a nice drive, then totally air-mail the approach to the green by 30 yards, then chunk two chips trying to get on the green where I 3 putt?  Or, hit a 280 yard power slice into the forest OB?  Add in about 11 of the greens 3-putting and I end the round with a score of 101.  I did this same thing for an entire week and had a miserable trip. I couldn't figure out why and I was too prideful and maybe "cheap" to seek help.  I'll figure this out on my own.....and I never did.

I came home and it continued.  One day, after a four-man, best-ball tournament, playing like a total beginner hack, I put the clubs away; gave them to my wife's club-pro relative, and gave it up.  I told him that it's just not fun anymore and, at the time, with two young toddlers and a very stressful job, I wanted a break from golf.  

Regrettable, but not surprising.  I saw similar with a friend, like you, he quit. That or something similar happens to plenty of people.  Amazing how a wife, toddlers and a job dictates dedication to a sport.  

• T100 3i to 9i MMT 105S
  • SC/CA Monterey

Short version is that I started at +6 through 4 holes at Pinehurst No. 2 and ended up shooting 73. An all time turnaround for me. 

Longer version is that I had built this round up my head and I was FEELING THE PRESSURE on the first tee. Hit a decent tee shot that got completely swallowed by wire grass. I found it but it was completely jammed. Unplayable. End up making a 7 on the rather benign opening hole. Then go bogey-bogey-bogey on the next 3 holes including hitting my tee shot 40 yds left off the tee on #4. I felt LOST with my driver and was starting to wonder if I would hit a decent drive all day. Went to a feel I hadn't used in a few months on hole 5 (par 5) and laced on down the middle. Okay, that could have been random. Hit the green in 2, two putted for birdie. Went on to make 6 more birdies in the round, 5 birdies on the back and a few sloppy bogeys mixed in. Even birdied #18 in front of the "gallery" at the Deuce. I resisted the urge to do the Payne Stewart pose. All that is to say that normally I would have folded like a tent in this situation and, who knows, if that feel hadn't worked on hole 5 maybe I would have. But I plan to draw on this experience going forward when things start going against me. Shooting 41/32 at Pinehurst No.2 is a truly psycho scorecard but it also reminds me that as my driver goes so does my score. It all comes down to sequencing and I just lose it every now and then. Was kind of a lifetime achievement thing and to be able to watch the US Open and say (to myself and obviously from different tees and with slower greens, etc, etc) that I birdied #5, #10, #11, #13, #14, #16 and #18 will be very cool. Didn't manage to make a "2 on No. 2" so no coin for me but this is a nice consolation. 

Mizuno STZ 230 9.5* - LIN-Q Red

Pinhawk SLF 16* 3W - Acer Velocity

Mizuno STZ 230 Hybrid 21* - LIN-Q Blue

Maltby TS1-IM 5-GW -- FST 125

Equalizer II 54* -- KBS Tour 120S

Ping Glide 4.0 58* - Nippon 115

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

21 hours ago, Pepperturbo said:

Regrettable, but not surprising.  I saw similar with a friend, like you, he quit. That or something similar happens to plenty of people.  Amazing how a wife, toddlers and a job dictates dedication to a sport.  

Exactly right and my "break" carried on for 15 years before I even thought about touching a golf club again.

• Like 1

Current set lineup:  Left Handed

Driver--Callaway Epic Speed w/Project X Hzrdus Smoke "R" Flex

5 Wood--Ping G425 Max w/Alta CB65 "R" Flex

Hybrid--Titleist 818 H1 in 23* w/Tensei shaft, "R" Flex

Irons 6-PW--Callaway RazrX w/steel Uniflex-- shafts

F2 Series Gap Wedge 52* degree

SW-Cleveland CBX 56*

Putter--Odyssey White Steel

Ball-Srixon or Bridgestone E6

11 minutes ago, Kai Slater said:

Exactly right and my "break" carried on for 15 years before I even thought about touching a golf club again.

IMO You made the right decision.  Many years back, I postponed expansion of the company for my then six-year-old son.

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • Like 1
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105S
  • SC/CA Monterey