2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

7 Wood Users

OFore

Anyone gaming a 7 wood? They're so popular in players bags now. I am wondering if anyone uses their 7 wood off of the tee? Or is it primarily a fairway club? In theory a deeper face might help if playing off tee. Thoughts and rec's please.

Thanks

Edited by OFore

Ping G430 Max 10.5* Alta CB Black 65 S

Titleist TSR2 15* Ventus Blue 7S

Titleist U505 20* HZRDUS Smoke RDX 6.5 80g

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW KBS Tour 120g Stiff

Titleist Vokey SM10 48.8F, 54.10S, 58.8M S300

Scotty Cameron Newport 2+

Titleist ProV1x

I'm sure you'll get tons of opinions / posts on this, but I'm a massive fan of my 7W (Paradym) - its almost effortless to hit and is my go-to club from about 210 or so.  To me, the flight is more akin to an iron than a wood.

Honestly, I've only hit it a couple times off the tee - its always been a second shot club for me, but I can see your point for tee shots.  

Happy to suggest a couple models to start with - besides the Paradym, I'm a big fan of the Titleist models, as well the Cobra Aerojets.  

• Like 2

Driver: Callaway Paradym 10.5* with Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 60 Stiff

Fairways:  Callaway Paradym 3W & 7W with Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 70 Stiff

Irons:  Cobra Forged TEC 4-PW with KBS Tour Stiff

Wedges:  Callaway Jaws Raw Plasma 50, 54 & 58

Putter:  Scotty Phantom X 5.5

1 hour ago, OFore said:

Anyone gaming a 7 wood? They're so popular in players bags now. I am wondering if anyone uses their 7 wood off of the tee? Or is in primarily a fairway club? In theory a deeper face might help if playing off tee. Thoughts and rec's please.

Thanks

I've been playing a 7 wood for a few years now. It replaced my 4 iron and I would never go back. 

I do use it occasionally for teeing off on a couple shorter dogleg par 4s on my home course, but I never tee it up. I always just hit it off the turf. 

• Like 3

Putting a 7W in the bag has been the best decision I've made in a long time, saved a couple of strokes per round for sure, off the Tee is 235-245, off the turf 225-230, easy to get airborne, it replaces my driving iron, we cut a 3W shaft to 41" tipped 1" and it is a beast...

• Like 1

DRIVER: Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5*, Ventus TR Blue 6TX at 45"
3 WOOD: Callaway Paradym HL 16.5*, Diamana Flower Band White, D+ 82X Flex, tipped 1" at 42"
7 WOOD: Callaway Paradym 21*, Tensei AV white 75g S Flex, tipped 1" at 41"

IRONS: Callaway Apex MB 7-10, CB 4-6 -- DG TI S400

WEDGES: Callaway JAWS Raw 50, 54, 58 -- DG TI S400
PUTTER: SC Phantom 5, Stability Shaft, 33.25", Garsen Quad Tour grip (Toulon Chicago as back up)
BALL: Callaway CT X (current gamer), Srixon Diamond, -ProV1X and ProV1

I've long held the belief that one of the best, but often overlooked fittings someone can get is a proper gapping analysis/distance review.  It is always beneficial to understand which clubs are causing you issues and/or are a bit schizophrenic.  With that in mind, I would suggest going through one of these and seeing how your current 22-18* clubs set up in that area.  If you find you have a lot of overlap and inconsistency in that area, it may be worthwhile to test out a 7W in place of what you have vs. just going in and saying "I want a 7W fit me for one".  You may find that a tweak to the loft or lie angle of a long iron, or adjustment to a hybrid will remedy everything and save you from a needless purchase.

• Like 2

Callaway Paradym 9 -- Accra TZFive 60

Callaway Paradym 15 & Paradym TD 18  -- Accra TZFive 70

Cobra King Tec 22 & 25 -- MMT 80

Ping i525 6-PW, UW -- Modus 120

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore 54 & 58 -- DG Spinner 

Bettinardi Hive Custom -- Stability Black

Callaway Chrome Soft X LS Triple Track Yellow; Lamkin Sonar Midsize + grips

I just put a 7w in the bag this winter and its pretty firmly cemented in the normal rotation. I use it off of the tee for two shots on my home course all the time to get me in the 230yd total distance range. I definitely recommend giving one a shot. 

Rotate the following:

Titliest TSR2 10* (@A1) Ventus TR Blue 6TX

Titliest TSR2 16.5* (@A1) Fuji Speeder 8.3TS X

Titliest TSR2 21* (@A1) Fuji Atmos Blue 8X

Titliest 818H2 21* (@B3) Fuji Atmos Black 9X

Srixon ZXU 18*, ZX5 3-4, ZX7 5-PW

C-taper 125 S+ PVD Black, BBFCO "Black Ice Ice Ferrule", Pure DTX Purple Std +4 wraps

Cleveland RTX6 Raw 50*Mid Ctaper 130X, 54* Full S400 Onyx, 58* Low S400 Onyx

Mizzy MCraft VI 36.5" SS Pistol 1.0

Titliest PV1

I'm in the minority here that I tried the TSR2 7 wood and didn't like it. Could not get consistent distance. Sometimes it was 200 other times 230. I needed an exact number for this club as it was to replace my 3H which I was struggling with but couldn't get anything consistent. 

I've since figured out the 3H again and my 4i gaps perfect behind it so for me, it was a no go.

I think this club in particular it is important to know what the use will be for and what the user's swing speed is. I think I read so many posts how it was "so easy to elevate" but I don't have trouble elevating 3W so I think some of those reviews were from lower swing speeds that needed  a distance club and it didn't fit what I was looking for. Not the clubs fault really.

I have a shallow face 7w (2013 Adams Tight Lies) , but I just picked up a deeper face 7w (PXG 0341X) to see if it performs better off the tee. So far it’s better for me off the tee, but nothing will beat the Tight Lies off the deck,  it’s comparable though, a balanced compromise, just getting it dialed with a shaft replacement. 

Had a 7 wood for past two seasons. Loved it off the tee, less so off the deck for approaches. 

I've dropped my 3 wood for 2024 so changed that end of the bag totally. Decided to go 5 wood, 4H into 5i rather than 3 & 7 wood into 5i.

7 woods are great clubs though, yes.  

Driver - PXG G4 0811 X 12° - Aldila NV Green 75S 44.5"

Fairway - PXG G4 0341 XF 17.5° - Aldila NV Green 75S 43"

Hybrid - PXG G4 0317 XF 20.5° - Aldila NV Green 85S

Irons - Ping I210 4-U 🔵 - DG 120 S300

Wedge - Ping Glide 4.0 S-12 56° 🔵 - DG S300 

Chipper - Wilson Harmoznized

Putter - Cleveland Frontline Elevado SA

Ball - Vice Pro Neon Lime

They’re very easy to hit in most situations. I have a Paradym which is shallow. It’s great from the fairway and tee (I tee it lower like an iron). I get the flop sweats going if I need to hit out the rough though. 

You can pick one off of CPO for a cheap experiment. 

• Like 1

Iron History: Macgregor blades -> Tour Model 3 -> 20 year hiatus -> Callaway Rogue (ugh) -> PtxPro -> P790 -> MP4 -> MP32 -> 623CB -> ZX5 mkII -> Cobra Tours

Dr: Titleist TSR3

3W: Ping G430 SFT

7W: Callaway Paradym

4H: Cobra King Tec

5-GW: Titleist T100

W: Edison 2.0

P: Odessey Versa 7

I started using a 7w about 5 years ago and I don't see going back. 

You're probably going to hit it surprisingly far. The extra loft makes it more consistent than other fairways and you won't out-hit the 7w with something stronger unless you have a perfect lie. 

They also pair really well with any kind of a 3w or 4w which is a big stress-reliever when it comes to set makeup. 

Finally they can easily be hit off the tee as well. Most are just as deep as the OEM's 5w option. 

TSR3 (Dr) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2 (3w / 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-P) (Nippon Modus3)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

I put an old Penley Ultron shaft in a Srixon Z725 7w head partway through last season and I absolutely love it off the tee, and it's not especially deep faced. I have a relatively high swing speed and use it as a 3i replacement, for roughly 230-240y carry. I plan on staying with my current D-4W-7W top end because of that club specifically.

• Like 1

Several other threads on here that discuss 7 woods in some detail; maybe you’ve read those? If not you could search for them and get some more commentary.  

Im a fan of 7woods, had one in my bag since the ‘80s. I find a deeper face is more versatile, tried the Paradym , too shallow. All my FW’s are 2018 Rogue’s. 

• Like 1

425 7 wood user here, stuck a heavy shaft in it, ventus blue 8, and it's been an absolute weapon. I have 2 par 3s that sometimes play over 215, a few holes that like 215 220 off the tee, and an excellent trouble club on long par 4 and even par 5 approach shots. When the rough is high and the greens are fast, balls end up lying against a thick first cut next to the green and it's a fantastic little bump club there too. I will say, my one challenge with it (probably not the club's fault) is I do have trouble keeping it low. I got my eye on that qi10 tour 6 wood, but $$$...

• Like 1

I am a big fan of 7wd's and Heavenwoods.  I have been playing a 7wd for about four to five years now.  I pair it with a 5wd or 4wd and that is the top of my bag. 

Started with some older Ping fairways to get 4wd/7wd setups, then went to the Ping G410 and then to the G425's.  In 2022 I had the Ping G425 5wd/7wd setup and made a hole in one with the 7wd.  Those Ping fairway woods are great clubs and not just that model either.

Last year I switched to the Paradym's and go 3HL (4wd) at 16.5 degrees but adjustable and Heavenwood, which is 20 degrees.  Great clubs also and great combo for me. 

I have always hit them way better and more consistent then any hybrids.

• Like 1

In the early 2000s, I used a 3W, and 5W or a TM Raylor 3. About 10 years ago, I realized I wasn't hitting my 3W nearly as high as I through I was. The two practice ranges I used had slightly elevated tees, hence the illusion.

In 2012 I switched to 4W + 7W, and have played this combination since - I have switched club models a couple of times.

The 7W blasts the ball out of the rough during the summer, and is good for longer approaches that settle down with minor rollout. Also, helps tame longish par 3 holes.

I have a solid driver game, but do use 7W or 4H on short holes where landing area can't handle driver length. Again, I use a 7W when I need to "drop a dart," or a 4H when I need to keep it low but want rollout (a stinger shot).

As for the pro's view, here's what Scott Stallings said this in a Sept 2019 Golf Digest article (p. 36):

"My 7 wood is a more versatile than a utility iron. I can hit it high or low, and the height on full shots into par 5s is so helpful, especially when you're coming in from 240 to 260 yards. I've found a utility 2- or 3-iron doesn't stop very well from that distance."

• Like 1

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

Yes I hit mine all the time off the tee.  I have also hit some of my all time best shots into greens.  Comes down steep enough to stop really well.

When putting in the bag I tested 3H, 2 driving iron and 7W in a fitting and the 7W was the clear choice for me.  I don't think I could stop a driving iron from 220 into a green so it gives me more versatility too.  Its also been fine in the wind even though it s higher trajectory.

Cobra LTDx VA Composites Drago 65S

Titleist TSi2 16.5 deg fairway VA Composites Drago 75S

Titleist TSi2 21 deg fairway VA Composites Drago 75S

Taylormade P7MC NS Pro Modus3 Tour 120 S (4-PW)

Vokey SM10 50.12F

Vokey SM9 54.10S, 58.08M

Taylormade Spider EX putter

ProV1X

After too long of experimenting with trying to fit a 3w in the bag, I've given up on that and instead have a Mini Driver that I hit the same low bullets off the deck but is more versatile off the tee for me.

Have had all kinds of hybrids as the next club before 4 iron and I either hook them or don't hit them high enough so I started experimenting with higher lofter fairway woods.  Started with 5 woods and got about 75% of what I wanted.  I still hit them too low off the deck, and if I adjusted them up in loft I was prone to hooks. Last year I finally gave 7w a real chance and it's going to be a mainstay in my bag now.  I finally have a club I can plan for a 225-230 carry with some roll but nothing crazy.

Currently have a Stealth 7w but I hit the PXG Black Ops 7w with a 3w Ventus Blue shaft when they came to my club for a fitting day and loved the lively feel of the shaft with less tipping so I have a Srixon 7w with that shaft setup on the way.  I'm a Srixon staffer and I like that their 7w is flatter than a lot of the others on the market.

• Like 1

I am working one in. I have a TRS2 that I was a little hooky with so I have gone with a shorter shaft and higher head weight to keep balance the same, but haven't gotten it out on the course. I hit my hybrid of the same distance range the same pretty good, but it is just not a high enough flight so hopefully the modified 7w will be the unicorn I believe it can be. 

3.9 HCP and falling (hopefully)

PIng G430 10.5 Ventus Black TR 6S

Ping G430 3w Ventus Blue TR 7S

Ping G430 7w Ventus Blue TR 7S

Titleist 510 utility 4 iron HZRDUS Smoke 6.0

Titleist T150 5-PW, PX LZ 6.0

Vokey 48F, 54D, 58T
Scotty Cameron Phantom '24 7

Ball ProV1x

Yeah I think my problem testing 7 woods has been that the shafts are typically too soft or light. I gotta get to a place that has better shaft options. Thanks for all the great responses. 

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max 10.5* Alta CB Black 65 S

Titleist TSR2 15* Ventus Blue 7S

Titleist U505 20* HZRDUS Smoke RDX 6.5 80g

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW KBS Tour 120g Stiff

Titleist Vokey SM10 48.8F, 54.10S, 58.8M S300

Scotty Cameron Newport 2+

Titleist ProV1x