Bad etiquette? Or just a sign of the times…

I’m wondering if I’m being overly sensitive about 2 particular instances of golf “etiquette” that I experienced recently. And each time it has happened, or continues to happen, it bugs me more and more. Wondering what the Wrx community thinks of these situations and if it has happened to any of you as well, please give me your thoughts.  

1.  Practicing on a huge chipping green with 6 holes spread evenly over the green. There’s other people chipping to their respective holes but there are open holes available if any other people ramble over and want to chip. I’m chipping with only 5 balls and retrieve my balls then drop in a different location to chip again to the same pin. Another guy comes over and starts chipping. There’s open holes but he starts chipping a whole bucket of balls to my hole that I’ve been chipping at for the last 20 minutes. I have chipped 2 balls around the hole before he started chipping his balls. I look at him and he looks at me but still keeps chipping. I chip my 3 last balls and proceed to get my 5 balls.  I walk out to get my balls and he stops chipping, waiting for me to clear. I take an unusual amount of time getting my balls, trying to let him know that bruh, WTH.  He has his hands on his hips.  We look at each other and he doesn’t get it.  As soon as I turn to walk away a chipped ball goes past my feet. Wow.  Ok. I turn around and he acts like nothing happened.  I shake my head, laugh out loud and decide to leave. He wins. Him: young, 21ish, small, skinny, good player.  Me: old, 60ish bigger than him, used-to-be-good player. Not that we would’ve fought but am I being overly critical about this? And how can he be a good player and NOT know about good etiquette on the course and practice areas?????? I seriously don’t get it.  Would any of you guys start chipping a whole bucket of balls to a pin that another stranger has already been chipping to with other open holes available??? Pissed me off big time but I just walked away and went home.  

2.  Practice putting green atrocity’s. It’s usually juniors, who are very good players, practicing putting and leaving the little pins lying on the green and not replacing them when they’re done practicing.  Also, they put tees and putting boards around the holes, practice, then they’ll leave for 30-45 minutes leaving their balls, tees, and boards all around the hole so no one else can use the hole when they go inside the clubhouse to eat or take a break.  
C’mon bruh!!!! SERIOUSLY????! What on earth is happening to our etiquette???? Also practice bunker is left unraked and destroyed.  I’ve seen people spend 15 minutes in the bunker, hit good quality shots out of that bunker, exit, put their club in their bag and walk away without even thinking of raking the bunker and making it nice for the next person. That rake has been there for years and it looks brand spankin new.  Nobody freaking uses the rake.  It actually makes me sad.  Nobody cares about the golf course, other people or the workers at the course.  Again, am I being overly sensitive and a full on boomer??

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

1.  There's a value in actually talking to someone to resolve a situation. 

2. a. Remove all the balls, tees and boards from the green; leave them in a mixed up heap at the side of the practice green;  occupy the space.

b.  Since everyone leaves the bunker unraked (except you, of course),  it's a management matter.  What has been the reaction when you have spoken to your managers about the issue?

Edited by Colin L
  • Like 2

My 2 cents:

1- people are inconsiderate. I've been in similar scenarios. I just move to an open hole. I practice at public facilities so it's hard to lay claim to any one area. I have a bad temper so I try to avoid unnecessary confrontation.

2- if the juniors left thegreen unusable I'd speak with the pro or whoever was in charge. If they're worth a darn they'll try to accommodate you. If they blow you off take your money elsewhere.

2b- the practice bunker is a bit of a thinker. Since no one is shooting a score out of a practice bunker, leaving it unraked doesn't seem that big of a deal. If you've hit so many shots that you're down to the liner than I would argue that you need to rake it to take care of the facility. Not necessarily for the next person that's going to use it.

• Like 1

1. This one is a bit problematic. Some folk just don't share nicely. Either open the batting on a confrontation or not, your choice.

2a. Just toss that stuff off the green, it's as simple as it gets.

2b. Worry not, get in there and have your practice, leaving the bunker as you find it. If it's a mess, rake the area you want to use, do your practice then walk away. If it's neat, practice and return it to neat. 

In my experience, trying to explain decent etiquette to the young folk now just receives the 'nobody is home' stare.

• Like 1

1 is absolutely a YOU problem. Nowhere does it say that holes/targets on the practice area are yours to use exclusively if you were there first.  If thats the culture at your club fine, but I've not seen that anywhere. Just make sure your balls are marked or using balls you dont care about. 

Anyone that uses, let alone types, "bruh" is an idiot.

• Like 3

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

For #1 I'd be online telling the story of what a tool this guy was at the chipping green, spent 20 minutes using the same hole and then gave "tude" when I dared use the same hole. I think you are the one with the etiquette problem in this instance.

• Like 2

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

9 hours ago, sharkiesj said:

I take an unusual amount of time getting my balls, trying to let him know that bruh, WTH.  He has his hands on his hips.  We look at each other and he doesn’t get it.  As soon as I turn to walk away a chipped ball goes past my feet. Wow.  Ok. I turn around and he acts like nothing happened.  I shake my head, laugh out loud and decide to leave.

YATA

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski | Erie, PA

GEARS • GCQuad MAX/FlightScope • SwingCatalyst/BodiTrak

I like the truth and facts. I don't deal in magic grits: 30. #FeelAintReal

"Golf is the only game in which a precise knowledge of the rules can earn one a reputation for bad sportsmanship." — Pat Campbell

IMO it's slightly aggravating but you just pick up and move on.  Golf cracks me up.  Why is is SO SERIOUS.

🤖 A.I Smoke TD 10.5 Graphite Design AD-VF

Sim 2 Ti 5W w/Diamana TB 70S

24 Apex UW w/Tensei 1K Pro Blue 70S

24 Apex Pro 4 Iron

24 Callaway JDM X -Forged 5-PW  Nippon Modus 105S 

Jaws Raw 50S ,54W, 58Z

Butter Putter

Chrome Tour X

If area is trafficked, i have an issue with guys hitting 20 balls to a hole. I never use more than 6, if it's real busy, it's 3. Also don't believe in repeating same shot more than a handful, then I rotate away to another hole. You cannot control others actions but you can watch your own. Read the area, find a an alley to work, repeat. If it gets too crowded, take a break but hunkering down on one hole and hitting a gazillion to it is just rude.

Philadelphia 76Ers Basketball GIF

• Haha 3

Driver TSR3 9* & 11* Ventus TR Blue 6x (10K - Testing)

Fairway TSr3 4W Ventus TR Red 7x

Fairway  TS 7W Ventus TR Blue 8x

Driving Iron  Ping iCrossover 2i Ventus Blue 9x

Irons Ping i210’s with DG 120 x-100’s +1/2”

Wedges Glide Forged Pros 50*,54*,58* DG 120 s300 +1/2”

Putter Armlock💪🏼

Ball Vice Pro Plus

11 hours ago, sharkiesj said:

I’m wondering if I’m being overly sensitive about 2 particular instances of golf “etiquette” that I experienced recently. And each time it has happened, or continues to happen, it bugs me more and more. Wondering what the Wrx community thinks of these situations and if it has happened to any of you as well, please give me your thoughts.  

1.  Practicing on a huge chipping green with 6 holes spread evenly over the green. There’s other people chipping to their respective holes but there are open holes available if any other people ramble over and want to chip. I’m chipping with only 5 balls and retrieve my balls then drop in a different location to chip again to the same pin. Another guy comes over and starts chipping. There’s open holes but he starts chipping a whole bucket of balls to my hole that I’ve been chipping at for the last 20 minutes. I have chipped 2 balls around the hole before he started chipping his balls. I look at him and he looks at me but still keeps chipping. I chip my 3 last balls and proceed to get my 5 balls.  I walk out to get my balls and he stops chipping, waiting for me to clear. I take an unusual amount of time getting my balls, trying to let him know that bruh, WTH.  He has his hands on his hips.  We look at each other and he doesn’t get it.  As soon as I turn to walk away a chipped ball goes past my feet. Wow.  Ok. I turn around and he acts like nothing happened.  I shake my head, laugh out loud and decide to leave. He wins. Him: young, 21ish, small, skinny, good player.  Me: old, 60ish bigger than him, used-to-be-good player. Not that we would’ve fought but am I being overly critical about this? And how can he be a good player and NOT know about good etiquette on the course and practice areas?????? I seriously don’t get it.  Would any of you guys start chipping a whole bucket of balls to a pin that another stranger has already been chipping to with other open holes available??? Pissed me off big time but I just walked away and went home.  

2.  Practice putting green atrocity’s. It’s usually juniors, who are very good players, practicing putting and leaving the little pins lying on the green and not replacing them when they’re done practicing.  Also, they put tees and putting boards around the holes, practice, then they’ll leave for 30-45 minutes leaving their balls, tees, and boards all around the hole so no one else can use the hole when they go inside the clubhouse to eat or take a break.  
C’mon bruh!!!! SERIOUSLY????! What on earth is happening to our etiquette???? Also practice bunker is left unraked and destroyed.  I’ve seen people spend 15 minutes in the bunker, hit good quality shots out of that bunker, exit, put their club in their bag and walk away without even thinking of raking the bunker and making it nice for the next person. That rake has been there for years and it looks brand spankin new.  Nobody freaking uses the rake.  It actually makes me sad.  Nobody cares about the golf course, other people or the workers at the course.  Again, am I being overly sensitive and a full on boomer??

Two lines of thought... any type of practice green is there for everyone.  Because you are chipping or putting into a hole doesn't necessary mean it's your hole until you're done, we share.  At times, it's difficult because I only use 2 balls, NOT a bucket of crappy range balls.  When that's the case, you can be assured he's a hack around the green.  As for leaving stuff on the green, there's no laying claim to a hole.  I'd just remove it to the side of the green.  

Essentially, though, etiquette is lost on most younger generations.  Then there's the hell with passive aggressiveness hoping to send a signal.  Get in their face when they behave like youngsters with no manners; that they are NOT used to.

• Like 1
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17° 2i Fujikura Pro 95i Tour S
  • T100 (2023) 3i & 4i MMT 95S, T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • SM10 F46.10, MCI Wedge 105 Mild
  • F52.12, T58.4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or new AVX

Personally I am all about being sort of low profile, quiet, extremely polite (sounds maybe like you are too) at the golf course and on the practice range.

So, I would have chipped to an open hole.

However, it's very possible that in this kid's mind he isn't doing anything wrong. He may not care at all if someone else hit to the hole he was using.

So it is a gray area. It is not a hill I would die on.

I would just say hmm okay, and probably leave and come back when the green is empty if I want more privacy.

Some of these kids are completely devoid of any thoughts in their heads of considering other people, though. It is annoying. But it is inevitable if you're "sharing a pool" with lots of different age groups/backgrounds.

• Like 1

Number 1 has happened to me and yes it is annoying, but I just move to a different hole, cause that could be a different type of practice shot. 

Number 2, if they had stations set up to every hole, I would remove, but if there are other holes open I would move to 1 of those. 

As for the bunker, currently the members bunkers are being redone so we will see if people rake or not when finished.  The public bunker (which ends today) that 1 is so bad a rake wouldn’t help, an excavator and dump truck load of sand might help.  

Some people are inconsiderate, does it annoy me yes, but I’m not going to get that upset, not worth the time or effort.  We play with a guy that is very inconsiderate, but he’s 90 years old and we ain’t changing him.

Driver - Callaway AI Smoke Mini Driver 10.5*

Driver 2 - Taylormade Mini Driver 13.5*

5W - Cobra LTDx

4i - Honma TR20 V w/ Modus 105R

5i - GW - PXG 0211 ST w Steelfiber 95R

52* - Nakashima Black Ninja

58* - Cleveland RTX6

Putter - Odyssey Versa One

Ball - Srixon Q Star

Nobody owns a hole on a practice green. WTH? It’s a practice green. “I own this hole the entire time I’m here.” Is so preposterous it’s laughable. 

Go inside to management and let them know someone was chipping to “your hole”. I’m sure they’ll take care of it. 

Raking practice green bunkers? Really? THEY DON’T EVEN PREPARE THEM IN THE MORNINGS. Come on man. 

Players leaving crap on putting greens is totally inconsiderate. Move their crap to the side if they leave. 

• Like 1