2024 The Memorial Tournament WITB Pics & New Titleist GT woods ×

Traveling to Phoenix.....Some course info for you

One_Putt_Blunder

3 hours ago, AdExec said:

The rates are the highest I’ve seen all over the valley right now. Troon North up to $411 for prime tee times. Grayhawk in the $350 range. TPC Stadium at $480. Even the Wekopa resident rate at $200. Makes me wonder how high the summer tee times will be priced this year. The covid golf boom is real.

It’s awful. I don’t mind paying a premium for a good course but compared to the rest of the country and some of the courses I’ve played, the value out here is awful. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

19 hours ago, AdExec said:

The rates are the highest I’ve seen all over the valley right now. Troon North up to $411 for prime tee times. Grayhawk in the $350 range. TPC Stadium at $480. Even the Wekopa resident rate at $200. Makes me wonder how high the summer tee times will be priced this year. The covid golf boom is real.

The WeKoPa website has summer rates for AZ residents at $55. In 2020 it was $45 and 2021 it was $49, so they have stayed pretty reasonable. 

16 hours ago, AzSuperHack76 said:

It’s awful. I don’t mind paying a premium for a good course but compared to the rest of the country and some of the courses I’ve played, the value out here is awful. 

You think the prices are mainly a result of being close to a major metro area in PHX or what? I’m with you about being willing to pay for elite golf courses but in my opinion the PHX area has zero of them. 

Want me to pay 450ish for Pinehurst, The Ocean Course or Whistling Straights? Ok I can justify that as a top 5-10 public and a bucket list course. 

$300 for Bandon or $225 for Sand Valley? Count me in, especially with 50% off replay rates. 

400+ for Troon or TPC Scottsdale. Ouch. 

Really goes to show how overpriced many of the local Arizona courses are. And inadvertently proves that Ak Chin for $150ish has to be the best value around. (Thanks again for those of you who told me to go play it last year!)

Edited by StudentGolfer4
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, StudentGolfer4 said:

You think the prices are mainly a result of being close to a major metro area in PHX or what? I’m with you about being willing to pay for elite golf courses but in my opinion the PHX area has zero of them. 

... If the weather wasn't so awesome in winter and people didn't travel to Phoenix from all over the world for the warm temps and low humidity, either for the snowbird season or a weekend/week long vacation and wiling to pay whatever they charge, the rates would be much more reasonable.  He!! even before Covid the winter rates were much more reasonable than they are now. 

• Like 1

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour

We just did a golf trip for 8 guys out there that included two nights at Hyatt House Old town + 1 rd at Talking Stick + 2 rds at We Ko Pa + 1 rd at Raven. If you assume the room rate at Hyatt is $200/night (per the website rack rate) split 4 ways (4 guys in 2 rooms) then our lodging cost was $100 each for the two nights. The package was about $950 per person so that works out to $850 for golf spread across the 4 courses which works out to an avg greens fee of $212. Not a great value but not terrible either. Pinehurst was like $1300 for the same amount of golf. 

• Like 2

Mizuno STZ 230 9.5* - LIN-Q Red (S)

Mizuno STZ 230 Hybrid 21* - LIN-Q Blue (S)
Mizuno Pro Fli-Hi 21.5* - Project X U-Steel 6.0

Maltby TS1-IM 5-GW - FST 125 (S) -- auditioning Fujikura Axiom 130X

Ben Hogan Equalizer II 54* 1*flat - KBS Tour 120S

Ben Hogan Carnoustie 60* 1*flat  - KBS Tour 120S

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

35 minutes ago, StudentGolfer4 said:

Want me to pay 450ish for Pinehurst, The Ocean Course or Whistling Straights? Ok I can justify that as a top 5-10 public and a bucket list course. 

$300 for Bandon or $225 for Sand Valley? Count me in, especially with 50% off replay rates. 

Really goes to show how overpriced many of the local Arizona courses are. And inadvertently proves that Ak Chin for $150ish has to be the best value around. (Thanks again for those of you who told me to go play it last year!)

TPC isn't as bad of a deal when you compare it to the other courses in the area charging $300+ for mediocre conditions. At least at TPC you know what you're going to get.

TM Qi10 LS 7.5° LAGP A-series Low 60 - 5(X) Limited Release

Cobra King Speedzone 14.5° LAGP Tour AXS BLU 70X

TM 2019 P790 3 19° LAGP A-series Low Hybrid 105

TM 2019 P790 4-P LAGP L-series 120i - 5(X)

TM MG4 50.09° SB 54.11° SB 60.08° LB LAGP L-series 120i - 5(X)

SIK Pro C-Series Armlock LAGP TPZ 180 | Titleist 23’ Pro V1x 

11 minutes ago, blackbdmillsaps said:

... avg greens fee of $212. Not a great value but not terrible either.

... When I lived in Chicago and visited Phoenix I would agree. But when you live here and pay $35 with a cart to play The Raven in the summer, with an Arcis card at $55 a month it is only $25 to play. $212 is a tough pill to swallow. 

On 3/24/2022 at 10:15 AM, StudentGolfer4 said:

You think the prices are mainly a result of being close to a major metro area in PHX or what?

Entirely predicated on the warm winter climate and tourists willing to pay to play a green course in warm sunshine when the course back home is covered in snow.

Doesn't leave much for us locals other than the munis, 3rd tier courses and trolling golfnow for that occasional "hot deal."

Prices flip when the summer temps approach.  

Scottsdale Saturday afternoon. 

Staying basically on McCormick ranch property. 

looking for nice casual bars for evening drinks and casual dinners?

Driver  G425 Ping Tour 65 R

3 Wood G410  Tensi Orange

G410 3 Hybrid Tensi Blue

G410 4 Hybrid Alta CB R

G425 Alta Graphite R 5-UW

Glide 54 & 58

Redwood Anser 

Q-Star Tour

1 hour ago, loc said:

Scottsdale Saturday afternoon. 

Staying basically on McCormick ranch property. 

looking for nice casual bars for evening drinks and casual dinners?

Best overall - downtown Scotts is Citizen Public House - especially HH and if you like cocktails.  They make their own infused stuff.  Casual, great food, etc.

Roka Akor is right near you and if you sit at the bar, they have a nice HH menu --- sushi, seafood, japanese

Behind your property on Hayden are 3 great choices in Twisted Grove, Grassroots and Rockefeller.

Alma and The Vig are in the area too.

Those may give you plenty of options.

10 hours ago, Miker20890 said:

looking to do 36 holes at talking stick last week of april. what time should i make the two tee times for?

I'll be there the last weekend of April and sunset is around 7. One of the days we are playing 36 so we booked the first around 7:30am and then another at 1pm to give us time to eat lunch in between the rounds.

Driver: Titleist TSR2 w/Tour AD-TP

Fairways: TaylorMade M1 (2017) Aldila Black; Callaway Epic Flash 7 wood

Irons: Cobra KING Forged Tec Irons Steelfiber i110cw

Wedges: Ping Glide 2.0 54*; Titleist SM9 58*

Putter: TaylorMade Spider Tour 

Ball: Titleist ProV1x

12 hours ago, puttnforthe8 said:

Best overall - downtown Scotts is Citizen Public House - especially HH and if you like cocktails.  They make their own infused stuff.  Casual, great food, etc.

Roka Akor is right near you and if you sit at the bar, they have a nice HH menu --- sushi, seafood, japanese

Behind your property on Hayden are 3 great choices in Twisted Grove, Grassroots and Rockefeller.

Alma and The Vig are in the area too.

Those may give you plenty of options.

Excellent. We have a reservation for Citizen Public House for one of the nights. Thanks once again for all your help and suggestions!

Driver: Titleist TSR2 w/Tour AD-TP

Fairways: TaylorMade M1 (2017) Aldila Black; Callaway Epic Flash 7 wood

Irons: Cobra KING Forged Tec Irons Steelfiber i110cw

Wedges: Ping Glide 2.0 54*; Titleist SM9 58*

Putter: TaylorMade Spider Tour 

Ball: Titleist ProV1x

On 4/2/2022 at 8:48 AM, Miker20890 said:

booked rounds for my trips last week of april.

36 at talking stick

dinosaur mountain

tpc champions

really would have like to play either troon north or grayhawk but pricing is insane. might trade out dinosaur mountain or tpc for wickenburg ranch

Def play Wick Ranch instead of one of those.  WR is going private, you may not ever get to play it again - the others will always be there.

We'll be out there first week in May (4th-7th). My brother booked tee times at WeKoPa (both courses) and TPC Champions. What can we expect? Should we make any changes to those courses? Guys seem excited for WeKoPa. 

Any recommendations for spots to hit on Cinco de Mayo keeping in mind it's 4 guys in their 40's... 

Thanks! 

15 hours ago, fore_life said:

Is it 4 guys in their 40’s who just want to relax or 4 guys in their 40’s whom hate their wives and are wanting to burn it all down?

Hahaha, my crazy days are definitely behind me but we like to have a good time.  I'm thinking more of a cool bar with some music and no college kids. 

On 4/5/2022 at 7:43 AM, TAG617 said:

My brother booked tee times at WeKoPa (both courses)

As a tourist who played for the first and only time there last month I think the two courses are rather distinct from each other. Commonalities are obviously desert surrounds, good conditioning, etc. Saguaro, to me (obviously all of this is "to me" and not statement of fact), is more subtle and less penal. I scored SIGNIFICANTLY better from basically the same distance at Saguaro (was almost my best round ever). Several driveable holes, pretty wide landing areas most every where. I think from an overall enjoyment and "would I play this everday" test, this course won out. 

Cholla is bit more dramatic and less subtle in its design. Many of the holes are beautiful but are more demanding off the tee as well. Very cool first hole and then it was a while before there was another hole I really enjoyed. I thought the par 5 second was particularly difficult as it was 574 yds but played into like a 15-20 mph wind which made it seem like a 625-650 yd hole. I think I hit driver, 3w, 5iron just to get on in 3. Cholla has a few tee shots where you have like 100 yds to land it in and they have these "oasis" holes (as we called them) where you have a super wide fairway bifurcated by a stand of trees but for the most part it is harder off the tee and, overall, harder I would say. Again, it was visually interesting but not as fun to play. 

Also get there early, I thought they had great practice facilities. 

• Like 2

Mizuno STZ 230 9.5* - LIN-Q Red (S)

Mizuno STZ 230 Hybrid 21* - LIN-Q Blue (S)
Mizuno Pro Fli-Hi 21.5* - Project X U-Steel 6.0

Maltby TS1-IM 5-GW - FST 125 (S) -- auditioning Fujikura Axiom 130X

Ben Hogan Equalizer II 54* 1*flat - KBS Tour 120S

Ben Hogan Carnoustie 60* 1*flat  - KBS Tour 120S

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/2/2022 at 11:48 AM, Miker20890 said:

booked rounds for my trips last week of april.

36 at talking stick

dinosaur mountain

tpc champions

really would have like to play either troon north or grayhawk but pricing is insane. might trade out dinosaur mountain or tpc for wickenburg ranch

change of schedule. Only able to play 1 round the first day. Is grayhawk or troon worth the almost $200 more than talking stick?

20 hours ago, Miker20890 said:

change of schedule. Only able to play 1 round the first day. Is grayhawk or troon worth the almost $200 more than talking stick?

Personally not a fan of talking stick. Not a destination course to me. I tend to splurge when traveling so I'd opt for the nicer courses. But if you wanted to stick in a similar price range maybe Southern Dunes if you can make it down there. Otherwise, Sunridge, Las Sendas, or Rancho Marana are fun tracks that usually dont break the bank.

Edited by scooterhd2
  • Confused 1

PING G400 MAX 10*, Ventus Blue 6X

Cleveland HiBore XL 2 Wood - THE GOAT

Cobra F6 Baffler 17,5*, AD DI 8S

Cobra F7 Hybrid 21.5*, AD DI 95S

Srixon ZX5mk2 5, ZX7mk2 6-PW Modus 120x

50/54/60 Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore DG Spinner

On 3/24/2022 at 10:15 AM, StudentGolfer4 said:

it’s insane.  I caved and bought a Troon twosome card.  I’ve been shocked how much it has helped.  I’ve been able to use the 3 day booking to get times pretty much every weekend.  Both whirlwind courses have been $115 or so and then I get a discount off of that due my Troon rewards.  Not the greatest golf courses but they have been in good shape, are challenging enough, are somewhat interesting and they cost under $200 lol

the best deal in the valley is still the resident walking rate at TPC Champs… if you can snag a time. 

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

5 hours ago, scooterhd2 said:

Personally not a fan of talking stick. Not a destination course to me. I tend to splurge when traveling so I'd opt for the nicer courses. But if you wanted to stick in a similar price range maybe Southern Dunes if you can make it down there. Otherwise, Sunridge, Las Sendas, or Rancho Marana are fun tracks that usually dont break the bank.

... I feel similar about Talking Stick. I love Southern Dunes but I absolutely hate Las Sendas. Choosing and playing courses can be so personal. For instance Camelback, I love Ambiente but don't care for Padre. Really like Gary Panks courses Aguila and Raven, but the Legacy not so much. Verrado Founders is a must play on my list but Verrado Victory is a pass for me. 

Edited by chisag

5 hours ago, scooterhd2 said:

Rancho Manana? If so, that's bottom tier course. 

• Like 3

Mark - Havin fun in the AZ sun

• Driver - Callaway Rogue 10.5* Aldila Synergy Reg
  • 4W - Callaway Rogue 15* Aldila Quaranta Reg
  • 4H - Callaway Mavrik Max 21* Project X Catalyst Reg
  • Irons - Taylormade P790 4-PW UST Recoil 780 | F4 SMACWRAP Stiff
  • GW - Titleist Vokey 50*
  • SW - Titleist Vokey 54*
  • LW - Titleist Vokey 58*
  • Putter - Taylormade Spider Tour Black
  • Grips - Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360