2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Can a 4-handicap man beat an LPGA pro?

And no I think a +2 is significantly better than the 100th ranked LPGA player. Angela Stanford is a men's +1.4 and is 45th on tour in scoring average. The 100th ranked player averages 1.5 strokes more than she does and is about the equivalent of a 0.

Sorry that this reply is coming late. I composed a long reply the other day, and it got all garbled up.

So I definitely disagree with this statement: "a (male) +2 is significantly better than the 100th ranked LPGA player."

We are definitely not "significantly" better. Several buddies and I recently played a practice round for the SCGA Mid-Am. Playing with us was a woman ranked around 80th in the Rolex rankings. All of my buddies (there were seven of us) are competitive California mid-ams with indexes in the +1 to +3 range. We played the black tees at 6900ish 73.5/135. She played one set of tees up at 6600ish 72.0/127.

It was a moderately windy afternoon (10-15 mph) and the greens were very firm in preparation for the tournament. She played well and was the only one of us to break par that day with a nice 71. My buddies and I were all bunched between 73 and 75. We had never played the course, but we were joined by a member who gave us all the advice we needed.

If she played the back tees with us, I would have expected her to shoot another 2 - 3 shots higher, so right where we all landed. Now, factor in that we played a course we had all played maybe once before, and that's and that's maybe a shot or shot and a half.

Average score for the field for the tournament was 76. Average score for those that made the cut was 74.5.

Those scores really just add color, but the bottom line is that there is no way a +2 is "significantly better," IMHO. I think there are probably some guys out there that are in that range that want to THINK they are significantly better, but I would argue that they are not. At least not the +2's I play with in California....

I'm a +1 playing out of a very difficult course with a high slope and rating, and I would expect to beat her maybe half the time.

I've always maintained that +2 is right around the break-even point with an mid-level LPGA player, and that was confirmed by that day. Sure, it's only one round, but with the mid-am played there, I think it becomes more impactful due to all of the scores shot from +handicap men, so there are lots of scores there to compare with.

From the tips, her range would be probably 68 to 78, just like most of the +handicap men that played in the tournament. One thing she would have in her favor: I bet she wold rarely shoot in the 80's, whereas a male +2 amateur with a wife and kids and a job, can show up and throw up a big number (80+) due to their inconsistency and inability to practice/play much. From the tips I think a male amateur's low would be lower than her low, but I think her bad rounds would be better than a +2 am's bad rounds, if that makes sense.

So I know it's splitting hairs, but I would change "significantly" to "slightly," which is a "significant" difference. LOL!

I'm in total agreement. I'm at 1.5-4 depending on time of year and how much I have been playing. So not a hack but not a superstar player either. I have had 6 aces. My best score on the front 9 at my home course is a 32 and on the back a 30(not the same day unfortunately). Missed a 29 by 1" on the last hole. A few years ago my course hosted a USGA women's event. I was able to attend for a couple of days. What I found out from walking the course was that these gals are way, way more consistent than I am. They rarely made a bad mistake. Second, and this was most enlightening, they are almost as accurate with a 7 wood as I am with a 9 iron. If I was stupid enough to play an LPGA pro for money I would have my azz handed to me. That's from the same tee on any course you want to name. Any 4 who thinks he can hang with an LPGA pro is delusional. If he had his best day and she was a little off he might have a chance over one round. Over 4 rounds-no way!

To answer your question. No.

I have played regularly with an LPGA professional and haven't seen a scratch golfer that could come close to beating her.

ps: she played in a local tournament a few years ago against male college bound golfers. The course played 6800 and she finished second. When she was even younger she beat a PGA Master Professional at 6600 yards, and he was a legit 300+ off the tee.

For those you you who think a scratch, let alone a +4 can beat a LPGA Tour pro, keep dreaming. She played with the best golfer at our practice facility, he's a scratch, and his draw dropped at how well she played.

People don't seem to understand just how good these girls are. Put your egos away, you will get shellacked.

I have played regularly with an LPGA professional and haven't seen a scratch golfer that could come close to beating her.

ps: she played in a local tournament a few years ago against male college bound golfers. The course played 6800 and she finished second. When she was even younger she beat a PGA Master Professional at 6600 yards, and he was a legit 300+ off the tee.

For those you you who think a scratch, let alone a +4 can beat a LPGA Tour pro, keep dreaming. She played with the best golfer at our practice facility, he's a scratch, and his draw dropped at how well she played.

People don't seem to understand just how good these girls are. Put your egos away, you will get shellacked.

Sean2,

You think the 75-100th ranked LPGA players have greater than a men's +4 rating? Consensus here seems to be coalescing around +1 to +2 for the ladies and at least +6 for the men.

Sean2,

You think the 75-100th ranked LPGA players have greater than a men's +4 rating? Consensus here seems to be coalescing around +1 to +2 for the ladies and at least +6 for the men.

Not sure, but I think Sean was referring to a 4 hc as stated in the thread title, not a plus 4.

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

Good morning Bro :)

Are you saying that a +4 will not beat a LPGA Tour Pro?

Regarding a scratcb, I do not believe that a "normal" Am scratch would however there are quite a few(I know of 3 in the Pittsburgh area) that were elite Ams/Tour Pros who got on with life, family and jobs and they hover around scratch/2~ and they are still capable of rekindling days gone by.

One such Player is Frank Fuhrer III who might Play once/twice a month and he went for a 66(I posted 65 earlier but I was wrong) last year from the blacks at Oakmont. Granted, those rounds are few and far between however these guys are still capable of turning back the clock.

As a +2.8 in 2012, I Played 8 games where a 4~ was in the field and and I never lost to him in those 8 rounds, head up.

Have a great weekend :)

All the Best,

Richards

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Obee,

As a +2, I'd be interested to hear how often you would, if at all, lose to a 4 in a straight up match? Thanks.

The answer to that is that a legit +2 would lose to a legit 4 straight up about as often as Halley's Comet comes around. Well, maybe a little more often than that, but...

Seriously, MAYBE once in 20 or more rounds and likely not that often.

That's one thing that hasn't been talked about very much in this trainwreck of a thread; the gap between a 4 and a true scratch (much less plus!) index; it is MASSIVE! The reality is that the gap between a 4 and a 10 is MUCH smaller than the gap between a 4 and a +2. The +2 lives around par, and won't have a differential above 4 but once every 20 or so rounds; they are incredibly consistent in EVERY case. The 4, on the other hand, likely will have 5 or so differentials below 4, but another 5 or so in double digits.

So the only way a 4 beats a +2 straight up is if the 4's very best day happens on the same day as the +2's very worst day; the +2 is just too consistent. Might happen once in awhile, you'd go broke betting on it.

Regarding a scratcb, I do not believe that a "normal" Am scratch would however there are quite a few(I know of 3 in the Pittsburgh area) that were elite Ams/Tour Pros who got on with life, family and jobs and they hover around scratch/2~ and they are still capable of rekindling days gone by.

One such Player is Frank Fuhrer III who might Play once/twice a month and he went for a 66(I posted 65 earlier but I was wrong) last year from the blacks at Oakmont. Granted, those rounds are few and far between however these guys are still capable of turning back the clock.

As a +2.8 in 2012, I Played 8 games where a 4~ was in the field and and I never lost to him in those 8 rounds, head up.

All the Best,

Richards

Good morning sweetheart. You forgot the 3.8~(Brian) that you beat in the round of 32(4&3) and Brandon, 3.2~ in the quarters(3&2) in the '12 club. I'm surprised that you forgot Brandon, hahaha. See you later. Love, M

Just for the heck of it, I looked at the average scoring stats on the Symetra Tour.

Kathleen Ekey sits 72nd out of 143 players with a 73.692 scoring average. I looked at her last 20 scores and the 10 best of those averaged exactly 70.00. I'm guessing that would put her (men's) handicap around 0 at best and around 3 at worst?

So how would she, being average on the Symetra Tour, fare against a 4 handicap man?

Obee,

As a +2, I'd be interested to hear how often you would, if at all, lose to a 4 in a straight up match? Thanks.

The answer to that is that a legit +2 would lose to a legit 4 straight up about as often as Halley's Comet comes around. Well, maybe a little more often than that, but...

That's one thing that hasn't been talked about very much in this trainwreck of a thread; the gap between a 4 and a true scratch (much less plus!) index; it is MASSIVE! The reality is that the gap between a 4 and a 10 is MUCH smaller than the gap between a 4 and a +2. The +2 lives around par, and won't have a differential above 4 but once every 20 or so rounds; they are incredibly consistent in EVERY case. The 4, on the other hand, likely will have 5 or so differentials below 4, but another 5 or so in double digits.

So the only way a 4 beats a +2 straight up is if the 4's very best day happens on the same day as the +2's very worst day; the +2 is just too consistent. Might happen once in awhile, you'd go broke betting on it.

I like the post, but I have to confess I know a few + caps that are not consistent - by 10/20 rounds are lights out. These are guys that once were all in on golf, and not don't practice play much but can still light it up. Recently I beat a +2 with a 76 (I was a three at the time) he shot 78. His next round he shot 64 and I shot 81. :taunt: I know this kind of proves your point, but the high 70 rounds are not that rare out of this +2.

All the Best,

Richards

Hey Richard, I gotta ask. So often you bring up Jones versus Hagen and the difference between an am and playing for your livelihood. Why not in this thread?

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

Just for the heck of it, I looked at the average scoring stats on the Symetra Tour.

Kathleen Ekey sits 72nd out of 143 players with a 73.692 scoring average. I looked at her last 20 scores and the 10 best of those averaged exactly 70.00. I'm guessing that would put her (men's) handicap around 0 at best and around 3 at worst?

So how would she, being average on the Symetra Tour, fare against a 4 handicap man?

Kick his butt. At least 6 of 10.

I don't believe that it is an apples to apples comparison to take a tour pros tourney rounds and compare them to some Am's handicap rounds for a myriad of reasons,the least of which the average 4- am standing on a Symmetra tee with two pros and a gallery around him, regardless how small, would be fortunate not to vomit on himself. I am speaking to the "normal" 4~ Am, not guys who have been elite or Pros and got on with life. Have a nice day :) Maddie

So much of this thread is conjecture and length.

Who wins this match? Two +4's(they earned their handicap at equivalent slope courses), one hits it 294 of the tee average and one hits it 250. Have them play from 6500. Who is favored? Move them back to 7200. Who is favored?

All the Best,

Richards

Hey Richard, I gotta ask. So often you bring up Jones versus Hagen and the difference between an am and playing for your livelihood. Why not in this thread?

You're a dick.....

All my Love,

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

I don't believe that it is an apples to apples comparison to take a tour pros tourney rounds and compare them to some Am's handicap rounds for a myriad of reasons,the least of which the average 4- am standing on a Symmetra tee with two pros and a gallery around him, regardless how small, would be fortunate not to vomit on himself. I am speaking to the "normal" 4~ Am, not guys who have been elite or Pros and got on with life. Have a nice day :) Maddie

You're a bully, lol.

And be sure and tell Richard, I'm just kidding :)

Obee,

I like the post, but I have to confess I know a few + caps that are not consistent - by 10/20 rounds are lights out. These are guys that once were all in on golf, and not don't practice play much but can still light it up. Recently I beat a +2 with a 76 (I was a three at the time) he shot 78. His next round he shot 64 and I shot 81. :taunt: I know this kind of proves your point, but the high 70 rounds are not that rare out of this +2.

Yea, these are the guys I was speaking of, alot being former elite Ams or Pros. I hate Playing them because they've got "that" round in the bag, I just don't want em pulling it on me, lol.

Have a great weekend Bro :)

All the Best,

Richard

You're a bully, lol.

I sorta agree. This thread has changed her.

She's not the same woman that I fell in love with

I hope it's temporary :)

Stay well my Friend

My Best,

Richard

You're a bully, lol.

And be sure and tell Richard, I'm just kidding :)u

Hi NT :) . I hope that you did not take my response as a shot at you because it in no way was. You were just asking a question and presenting a scenario. I just think that a lot of guys use those two sets of numbers for comparisons. Have a nice day :) Maddie

You're a bully, lol.

I sorta agree. This thread has changed her.

She's not the same woman that I fell in love with

I hope it's temporary :)

Stay well my Friend

My Best,

Richard

HaHa, you're cute. Love you, M

No.

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

All the Best,

Richards

Good morning sweetheart. You forgot the 3.8~(Brian) that you beat in the round of 32(4&3) and Brandon, 3.2~ in the quarters(3&2) in the '12 club. I'm surprised that you forgot Brandon, hahaha. See you later. Love, M

LMAO, oh yea!!!!

Friggin Brandon, LMAO

His parents are long distance members and live in Fla somewhere and he flies up for the Club and the MPlay Championships.

So he's havin a beer before we tee off(8:12am) up at the bar in the Men's Grille(he'd turned 21yo about a month before) and an old timer is the bartender(Joey) who has known me since I was 14yo and first stumbled around the club as a lost kid.

So Brandon asks for a shot of Wild Turkey(what friggin man shoots Wild Turkey???? Forget it. I probably just offended 5-6 guys. I take it back. Ya'll are bad a**** ) and raised it to Joey, the bartender, and says, "I hope old man Jacobs doesn't have a heart attack out there today. To his health," pops it and slams the shot glass on the bar like he's a little muffin.

Well, Maddie mentioned the result above

Putz

All the Best,

RP

You're a bully, lol.

Hi NT :) . I hope that you did not take my response as a shot at you because it in no way was. You were just asking a question and presenting a scenario. I just think that a lot of guys use those two sets of numbers for comparisons. Have a nice day :) Maddie

Nah, didn't take it as a shot at all. And besides that, I've read enough of your posts to know that if you do take a shot at me or anyone else, we probably deserved it. Now Richard taking a shot is a different story ;) And, just in case anyone is not sure, I'm just kidding about Richard.

You're a bully, lol.

Nah, didn't take it as a shot at all. And besides that, I've read enough of your posts to know that if you do take a shot at me or anyone else, we probably deserved it. Now Richard taking a shot is a different story ;) And, just in case anyone is not sure, I'm just kidding about Richard.

Thank you NT! Since I've known him, and I have to say, I've only seen a couple of times where someone tried to instigate something with him and those were a few drunks in his bar who were not regulars however he does not get upset when someone says something about him, especially on the internet. Most of the times he finds it amusing. The only time I've seen him get upset is when someone says something to a newbie, one of the "quieter" members or one of his friends on the board. He has very thick skin though with his step father and Pete, he had to, hahaha. Take care :) Maddie

Sean2,

Not sure, but I think Sean was referring to a 4 hc as stated in the thread title, not a plus 4.

The whole thread got side-tracked from a 4 hc, to a +4. (or scratch, or +1, or +2, or +3)

....But, we're still having fun with it on page 18, and counting.

DRIVER: Ping G20, 9.5° w/169D-Tour, reg (Back up: Srixon Z-rw, 9.5°, stf)
3+W: Srixon Z-Steel, 12.5°, stock SV3005J, stf. (In rotation: 3W, 14.5°)
5W: Srixon Z-Steel, 18.5° stock SV3005J, stf
IRONS: Ping i20, 3-PW, stock CFS reg @ D2
PUTTER: Ping Craz-E iWi, w/2x20gr weights, Lamkin Jumbo pistol grip
WEDGES: Ping Glide, 54° SS, 60° TS, stock Ping wedge shafts
BALL: Srixon XV 
CART: SunMountain V1, STEWARTGOLF Z1
BAG: SM H2N0, PING C-130
BACK UP: Ping S58, 3-Pw, stock CS-Lite, stf, @ D2. (Lofts jacked to S55 specs.)

You're a bully, lol.

HaHa, I ain't all that-

Last night before our putting contest that I usually just officiate though I was feeling good so I was in and Jerry, who's fighting lung cancer, taps me on the shoulder, I turn and look down at all 5'7-5'8" of him and he smirks at me and says, "tonight you're my b****," and takes my Scotty out of my hands because he always putts first, lmao

He's EIGHTY TWO FRIGGIN YEARS OLD!!

Bro, the slide has been quick, steep and painful, LMAO

Have a great day :)

My Best,

Richard

Serena Williams is apparently the greatest tennis player of all time, and she was destroyed by some guy who was ranked 500th in the world or something.

I'm actually not aware of many matches between LPGA players and high-ranked male amateurs.

203rd

However, tennis isn't golf. The LPGA pros play a very patient game (some might even call it boring) and they are extremely good from 150 in. Of course, you could set up a course to favor a long hitting man with 250 yard forced carries and what not but on a typical course the women pros will grind down any 4 handicap. They don't make mistakes. The 4 handicaps do.

snapback.pngNorth Texas, on 27 August 2016 - 10:32 AM, said:

snapback.pngnikegal, on 27 August 2016 - 10:02 AM, said:

snapback.pngNorth Texas, on 27 August 2016 - 09:51 AM, said:

snapback.pngnikegal, on 27 August 2016 - 09:42 AM, said:

snapback.pngNorth Texas, on 27 August 2016 - 09:29 AM, said:

So how would she, being average on the Symetra Tour, fare against a 4 handicap man?I don't believe that it is an apples to apples comparison to take a tour pros tourney rounds and compare them to some Am's handicap rounds for a myriad of reasons,the least of which the average 4- am standing on a Symmetra tee with two pros and a gallery around him, regardless how small, would be fortunate not to vomit on himself. I am speaking to the "normal" 4~ Am, not guys who have been elite or Pros and got on with life. Have a nice day :) Maddie

You're a bully, lol.

And be sure and tell Richard, I'm just kidding :)uHi NT :) . I hope that you did not take my response as a shot at you because it in no way was. You were just asking a question and presenting a scenario. I just think that a lot of guys use those two sets of numbers for comparisons. Have a nice day :) Maddie

HaHa, I ain't all that-

Last night before our putting contest that I usually just officiate though I was feeling good so I was in and Jerry, who's fighting lung cancer, taps me on the shoulder, I turn and look down at all 5'7-5'8" of him and he smirks at me and says, "tonight you're my b****," and takes my Scotty out of my hands because he always putts first, lmao

He's EIGHTY TWO FRIGGIN YEARS OLD!!

Bro, the slide has been quick, steep and painful, LMAO

Have a great day :)

My Best,

Richard

[...].....WOW!.....What a RIDE!!!!!

DRIVER: Ping G20, 9.5° w/169D-Tour, reg (Back up: Srixon Z-rw, 9.5°, stf)
3+W: Srixon Z-Steel, 12.5°, stock SV3005J, stf. (In rotation: 3W, 14.5°)
5W: Srixon Z-Steel, 18.5° stock SV3005J, stf
IRONS: Ping i20, 3-PW, stock CFS reg @ D2
PUTTER: Ping Craz-E iWi, w/2x20gr weights, Lamkin Jumbo pistol grip
WEDGES: Ping Glide, 54° SS, 60° TS, stock Ping wedge shafts
BALL: Srixon XV 
CART: SunMountain V1, STEWARTGOLF Z1
BAG: SM H2N0, PING C-130
BACK UP: Ping S58, 3-Pw, stock CS-Lite, stf, @ D2. (Lofts jacked to S55 specs.)