judging players by their bags

MtlJeff

Interested to see the outcome of this...

Driver: Cobra F8+ with Accra FX250 M4

3w and 3h: Cleveland 588

4-P: Nike VRS Covert 2

50, 56, 60: Cleveland RTX3 CB

Putter: Odyssey Big T

Ball: Callaway super soft

Bag: Taylormade stand bag

You're a mid-80's shooter who plays what works. You don't mind new tech, but only if you see a real benefit to changing. Good ball striker, 3W and 3H are your favorite clubs. Your old driver (probably a Taylormade) was good but unreliable at times, so you're planning to make use of the F8's Connect tech to dial in your new driver. I'd be cautious if you asked to "put some skin in the game", you could be an under-the-radar single digit cap.

Ok, here's mine:

Driver: Mizuno JPX EZ w/ Mitsubishi Fubuki alpha 70 X

FW: Cobra Biocell 3-4W @ 14.5 w/ Diamana Ahina 80 S

Hybrid: Cobra Biocell 2-3H @ 16.5

Hybrid: Mizuno JPX Fli Hi 19

Irons: Cobra Forged One Length 4-PW

Wedges: Mizuno JPX 50, 56

Putter: Odyssey ProType #9

Ball: Srixon Q-Star

Bag: University of Virginia stand bag (not UVA golf team equipment)

"Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
WITB: PXG 0311 ~ Ping Anser 4w @16.5 ~ Cobra F6 Baffler @18.5 ~ Titleist T300 4-P ~ Titleist Vokey 48, 54, 58 ~ Cleveland HB 8

You're a mid-80's shooter who plays what works. You don't mind new tech, but only if you see a real benefit to changing. Good ball striker, 3W and 3H are your favorite clubs. Your old driver (probably a Taylormade) was good but unreliable at times, so you're planning to make use of the F8's Connect tech to dial in your new driver. I'd be cautious if you asked to "put some skin in the game", you could be an under-the-radar single digit cap.

Ok, here's mine:

You like to drink chardonnay and have a cheese plate when you tailgate at football games. (Just kidding).

Your handicap is around 15 to 20. While your short game is solid - especially your putting, your long game (outside of 140 yards) is erratic - thus the extra stiff shaft and the golf ball for slow swing speeds and the single length irons. At this point, you'll try anything to gain more control with the long game. Someday, you will stop caring so much about control and relax on the course, and you will play alot bettter.

Try this now:

Cobra Fly Z+ Orange (Oban Revenge 6.0 stiff shaft)

Callaway XR16 four wood stock stiff shaft

Callaway XR16 3 hybrid mitsubishi shaft stiff

Wilson FG V4 4-pw DG S300 stiff

Callaway Mack Daddy 2 50, 54, 58

Bettinardi BB 43 putter

Green Sun Mountain 2.5 bag and Nike Tour bag

Ball: Srixon Z-star XV (white or orange)

Ok, here's mine:

You like to drink chardonnay and have a cheese plate when you tailgate at football games. (Just kidding).

Your handicap is around 15 to 20. While your short game is solid - especially your putting, your long game (outside of 140 yards) is erratic - thus the extra stiff shaft and the golf ball for slow swing speeds and the single length irons. At this point, you'll try anything to gain more control with the long game. Someday, you will stop caring so much about control and relax on the course, and you will play alot bettter.

Try this now:

Bettinardi BB 43 putter

Not too far off. I hate wine (love cheese), but never wore my orange and blue necktie to a football game. Handicap closer to 10 than 20. Irons were a deliberate distraction. My iron play was probably the area that needed the least attention last year. Most of my problems are related to course management and control off the tee box. Good analysis!

"Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
WITB: PXG 0311 ~ Ping Anser 4w @16.5 ~ Cobra F6 Baffler @18.5 ~ Titleist T300 4-P ~ Titleist Vokey 48, 54, 58 ~ Cleveland HB 8

OK. I just stumbled across this thread. Here is my bag.

The 2 ball blade is my regular putter. My son borrowed my Scotty Cameron last year and have not seen it since.

9 Deg. Callaway XR Pro 16 Speeder 665 Evolution II

15 Deg. Callaway Diablo Edge Tour NV 65S

18 Deg. Ben Hogan VKTR Recoil Shaft

Ben Hogan Ft. Worth 22-46 Nippon N.S.Pro Modus 3 Tour 120

Tour Edge 50

Callaway MD 56

Cleveland 60

Scotty Cameron Newport

Odyssey 2-Ball Blade

9 Deg. Callaway XR Pro 16, Aldila ATX Tour Green S
14 Deg. Big Bertha Alpha 816, Aldila Rouge I/O 70 S
18 Deg. Ben Hogan VKTR, UST Mamiya IROD 75 S
Ben Hogan Ft. Worth 22-46, Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 Tour 120x
Tour Edge 50, X-100
Callaway MD 56, X-100
Cleveland 60, X-100
Odyssey 2-Ball Blade
Callaway Supersoft

Ok, here's mine:

Try this now:

Bettinardi BB 43 putter

I’ll give it a go...

You are a good player, 7-10 cap, and you aren’t overly concerned about having the latest and greatest tech in your bag. You found what works for you, and stick with it. However, you have some inconsistency in your game, and play the orange ball when you aren’t feeling it with your longer clubs and want to make sure that you can find your tee ball.

My bag:

Titleist 915D3 - x stiff

TM 300 Tour 15* - tour stiff

Nike VR Pro 18* - stiff

Titleist 690.MB - TT S400 Tour Issue

Cobra Tour Trusty 54/Vokey SM5 58

Ping Zing2

Old Ping Hoofer stand bag

Cant wait to see the looks I get when me and a buddy do our Goodwill challenge rounds..

I love it! Unless you're not really left handed, you're score shouldn't suffer a single stroke. Heck, those Pings may become a regular part of the bag, not just for challenge rounds...

I am a lefty. Havent got to hit them yet, but Im loving how they line up behind the ball.

Ok, here's mine:

Try this now:

Bettinardi BB 43 putter

I’ll give it a go...

You are a good player, 7-10 cap, and you aren’t overly concerned about having the latest and greatest tech in your bag. You found what works for you, and stick with it. However, you have some inconsistency in your game, and play the orange ball when you aren’t feeling it with your longer clubs and want to make sure that you can find your tee ball.

My bag:

Titleist 915D3 - x stiff

TM 300 Tour 15* - tour stiff

Nike VR Pro 18* - stiff

Titleist 690.MB - TT S400 Tour Issue

Cobra Tour Trusty 54/Vokey SM5 58

Ping Zing2

Old Ping Hoofer stand bag

Close. 2.9 index. Use orange balls cuz orange and green are my colors. (Go Canes!)

In my 40's I kept trying new clubs hoping to find something better. In my 50's now and got over that. Still love reading this board about the latest and greatest. I am tempted right now by the Tour length F8.

if you look at mine you think im good. has a scotland flag with my name on it on the ball pocket. however the nly reason its there is the beg fell off the cart one day and i had to patch a small hole. hahaha

well, you didn't post your bag. So, I'm guessing you don't play golf.

My current sticks:

Rogue SZ 9* w/even flow 65g 6.5x

Rogue SZ 15* w/hzrdus yellow 75g stiff

Mizuno mp18 mmc fli hi 3 iron w/c taper lite stiff

Mizuno mp18 mmc 4-pw w/ns pro tour120 stiff

Mizuno T7 wedges 50/55/60 w/ns pro tour105 stiff

Scotty Cameron golo 5 (2014)

chrome soft truvis

PXG Black Ops Tour driver 

PXG g5 3 wood

PXG Black Ops 17* hybrid

TaylorMade Qi10 5 wood

TaylorMade P770 4-9 KBS Tour

TaylorMade MG4 46/52/58wedges

Bettinardi BB1 putter

if you look at mine you think im good. has a scotland flag with my name on it on the ball pocket. however the nly reason its there is the beg fell off the cart one day and i had to patch a small hole. hahaha

well, you didn't post your bag. So, I'm guessing you don't play golf.

My current sticks:

Rogue SZ 9* w/even flow 65g 6.5x

Rogue SZ 15* w/hzrdus yellow 75g stiff

Mizuno mp18 mmc fli hi 3 iron w/c taper lite stiff

Mizuno mp18 mmc 4-pw w/ns pro tour120 stiff

Mizuno T7 wedges 50/55/60 w/ns pro tour105 stiff

Scotty Cameron golo 5 (2014)

chrome soft truvis

I'd say you've got an aggressive transition with the big stick, that's why its an x instead of s. SZ because of maybe a negative AOA coupled with some out to in path. Controlled fades with the irons and a rock-solid short game because of those sweet T7s. You can putt too I bet. That's my guess, but funny thing about me, I am often wrong!

Current Bag:

Ping Anser 9.5 Aldila Tour Blue 75x

Adams Tight Lies Tour 19* 5w Aldila Tour Blue 65s

Cobra T-Rail 19* Hybrid Tour AD 65s

Ben Hogan PTx KBS Tour V 110 s

Nike VR Forged 50*

Callaway MD2 Forged 54*/58*

Ben Hogan Baby Ben

Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Fujikura Motore Speeder VC7.2 Tour Spec X

Taylormade V-Steel 15* Aldila Tour Blue 75TX

Titleist 913 19* Diamana 82hy S
Srixon ZX4 MKII 4i Modus 105s

Srixon ZX5 MKII 5-P Modus 105s

TM MG 50/54 Project X 6.5 8i 

TM Tiger Grind 60* TI s400

TM Rossa Tourismo agsi+

Anyone up for a challenge?

My Bag:

Cobra King F6 11.5* w/ Matrix Red Tie 60 R

Dunlop DDH II OCG 3W and 7W w/ Dunlop Professional Series FW uniflex

Steelhead XR 4-Pw w/ XP 95 R

Cleveland RTX-3 50,54,58

Odyssey Works 7 34"

Ogio Bag

Ball changes daily, whatever I feel like

Good Luck!

You have a slower swing speed (Driver 90mph) but very controlled. You have a very good short game that allows you to shoot high 70s low 80s

My bag as of now;

2017 M1 10.5* kuro kage 60s

Exotics E8 16.5* 4w exotics fuji 72s

Adams XTD ti 20* hybrid red tie s

TM P770 4-P Steelfiber i95 s

TM MG 50,56,60 Steelfiber i95s

Bobby Grace F-18 putter

Exotics Tour Bag

You have a slower swing speed (Driver 90mph) but very controlled. You have a very good short game that allows you to shoot high 70s low 80s

My bag as of now;

Bobby Grace F-18 putter

Exotics Tour Bag

I didn't do this right before so I'll correct that now.

I either don't want to play you for money or I want to play you for as much money as you're willing to bet. Who plays a 4W instead of 3W? Only a WRXer for sure. I would guess your distances are dialed in based on that choice alone. An Adams hybrid? Probably the go to club in your bag behind the BG putter. You enjoy having a couple clubs in your bag that most don't (including the bag itself) and I'm guessing there is a little snobbery (although justified based on skills) when it comes to discussion of new Twist Face technology, CNC milled driver faces, 8,000,000 MOI putters, etc. That being said, I would laugh when that putter came out of the bag, until you drained that 18' par saving putt on #1.

My bag today:

Titleist 917D3 8.5* - Fujikura Speeder Pro TS 74 (Midsize Tour Velvet on everything)

Titleist 917F2 15* - Diamana S+ 80 TX

Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3 iron (21*) - Dynamic Gold S300 (all irons)

Mizuno MX300 4-6 iron

Mizuno MP58 7-PW

Titleist SM6 52, 56, 60

Kingston KP2- Matador midsize, black

Vice Pure glove

Titleist ProV1

Titleist Players 14 Stand Bag, black

Hey all,

Takes alot for me to switch something out but i do look after my gear and the x22 tours are the second set of heads and third set of shafts :) I do also game MP33's but they are now at the point thats a few of the irons are too worn :(

Have the TM bag as also have TM driver and 3/4 wood and a newer rescue which likes to go left unlike my oldie goldie rescue with steel! Also have a few scotty's but they are more for looking at hehe.

Just to add reason i've changed shafts was due to keeping them in my boot and them starting to pit - small rust spots.

My Typical Bag:

Titleist 913 D2 10.5deg - Diamana D+ 72 Stiff @ 44.5" - GP Tour Velvet

Titleist 913 F 17deg (4 wood) - Diamana S+ 72 Stiff @ 40" - GP Tour Velvet - I think this is more like 16deg with the hosel adjustment.

Taylormade Rescue Orig. 19deg old school - Project X Flighted 6.0 @ 39" - GP Tour Velvet

Callaway X22 Tour 4 - 9 - Project X Flighted 6.0 Std loft/lie/length - GP Tour Velvet

Vokey SM6 47, 51, 55 & 59 - Project X Flighted 6.0 Soft Stepped 2deg Flat Std length - GP Tour Velvet

Ping Scottsdale Grayhawk TP Putter - 33" black shaft - Ping cord putter grip

Callaway ChromeSoft in white

Callaway Leather glove in white

Taylormade Stand Bag Black murdered out look

Pure Black Leather headcovers to match no numbers

My bag as of now;

Bobby Grace F-18 putter

Exotics Tour Bag

I didn't do this right before so I'll correct that now.

I either don't want to play you for money or I want to play you for as much money as you're willing to bet. Who plays a 4W instead of 3W? Only a WRXer for sure. I would guess your distances are dialed in based on that choice alone. An Adams hybrid? Probably the go to club in your bag behind the BG putter. You enjoy having a couple clubs in your bag that most don't (including the bag itself) and I'm guessing there is a little snobbery (although justified based on skills) when it comes to discussion of new Twist Face technology, CNC milled driver faces, 8,000,000 MOI putters, etc. That being said, I would laugh when that putter came out of the bag, until you drained that 18' par saving putt on #1.

If you are a 3.7...you would definitely want to play me for money. I have around 2 blow up holes a round so if money was on the line I would rather do match play than metal play. I found the clubs that are older and different fit me better than recent releases. The Exotics Tour bag.....3 reasons for the unique bag; 1- It is not a well known name like Titleist, Callaway, Taylormade, so I don't look like a poser for my ability. 2- I had a stand bag but the clubs were difficult to get in and out. I can still put it on my pushcart if I decide to walk. 3- the price was $100cnd brand new delivered from a guy on kijiji.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all,

Takes alot for me to switch something out but i do look after my gear and the x22 tours are the second set of heads and third set of shafts :) I do also game MP33's but they are now at the point thats a few of the irons are too worn :(

Have the TM bag as also have TM driver and 3/4 wood and a newer rescue which likes to go left unlike my oldie goldie rescue with steel! Also have a few scotty's but they are more for looking at hehe.

Just to add reason i've changed shafts was due to keeping them in my boot and them starting to pit - small rust spots.

My Typical Bag:

Titleist 913 F 17deg (4 wood) - Diamana S+ 72 Stiff @ 40" - GP Tour Velvet - I think this is more like 16deg with the hosel adjustment.

Taylormade Rescue Orig. 19deg old school - Project X Flighted 6.0 @ 39" - GP Tour Velvet

Callaway X22 Tour 4 - 9 - Project X Flighted 6.0 Std loft/lie/length - GP Tour Velvet

Vokey SM6 47, 51, 55 & 59 - Project X Flighted 6.0 Soft Stepped 2deg Flat Std length - GP Tour Velvet

You are very, very serious, and specific about golf equipment, and is guess it's not the only thing you're a specific about. Your car, a midsize import, is impeccably clean and well maintained, and it is either paid off, or at a very low interest rate. Math and physics were your favorite subjects and you are likely to be in IT or engineering. Your clothes are neat and so are your children's rooms. You prefer a method style of teaching, and any bad shots or rounds can be traced back to a minute swing flaw or discrepancy in equipment charateristics. You have all the technical prowess of tiger, but have trouble producing the needed shot under pressure, and you struggle with outside the box shots. however, when everything is clicking, you're a hard man to beat, your technical knowledge gives you a confidence on certain shots that's well above your peers. Despite your penchant for players clubs, you don't like to work the ball unless you have to, and you dislike playing in adverse weather conditions. There are more hours of footage of your golf swing that exist than the total runtime of the lord of the rings directors cut. The trilogy, not just one movie.

All in good fun, btw, I'm probably way off base. What do I know, I got my clock cleaned Sunday by a man in his Sixties toting g15s.

My bag...

Mizuno MP-001 t/s 360cc, stock exsar 60 stiff at 45 1/2, pompom black and white headcover

Taylormade aeroburner black 18*5w, stock reax 55 stiff, hiding under an old Wilson 5w headcover

Adams idea black 19*hybrid, ust r flex, GP victory grip and the headcover off an idea blue hybrid

Either KZG ZO, or satin MP-33 3-9, the kzgs with gobs of lead tape in the short and mid irons

Cleveland rotex 2.0 48* TT DG wedge, GPMCC mid, red

Vokey 200 54*, chrome, TT DG wedge, GP victory grip

Vokey 200 58*, raw, Nippon NS pro of unreadable designation, GP victory grip

Cleveland classic collection 2, SS GT pistol 1.0

Ogio stand bag, no rain hood, no umbrella, on a rusty sun mountain speedcart, the lower strap replaced with a black rubber bungee

My bag...

Mizuno MP-001 t/s 360cc, stock exsar 60 stiff at 45 1/2, pompom black and white headcover

Taylormade aeroburner black 18*5w, stock reax 55 stiff, hiding under an old Wilson 5w headcover

Adams idea black 19*hybrid, ust r flex, GP victory grip and the headcover off an idea blue hybrid

Either KZG ZO, or satin MP-33 3-9, the kzgs with gobs of lead tape in the short and mid irons

Ogio stand bag, no rain hood, no umbrella, on a rusty sun mountain speedcart, the lower strap replaced with a black rubber bungee

I like your style. So much that some of your stick choices closely resemble my own. You're the classic type of player that these forums love. You know gear like the rest of us, but aren't necessarily a ho. You have a spread of timeless clubs that will be respected just as much 15 years from now as they were even 15 years ago. A player that uses his clubs until they fall apart. Likely has some nice little wear marks in the middle of those MP-33s that he's swung for 10 years. Doesn't need new SM6s or SM7s because, lets face it, those 200s help to win the money games just fine. 1ironcharlie is my favorite kind of player to walk past at the course, but not to play with. You threw the Rotex 2.0 in the bag back in 2015 to shut your ho friends up that have seen you playing some of the same clubs since 2004. The irony is that you bought it in the pro shop with the money they had to pay you after that bet. Keep the fire.

Here's me:

Titleist 913D2 9.5* Tour AD DI-6S

Titleist 917f3 15* Diamana Blueboard S 73

TaylorMade V-Steel 18* Aldila NV 65 S

Mizuno MP-32 DG S300 w/ original Mizuno grips

Cleveland RTX 2.0 52* Tour issue raw S300

Miura Custom 59/10 Shimada K's Tour 120

Callaway MackDaddy PM 64/10 KBS 610 (sometimes)

Yamada Samurai Burning Copper with blue Iomic standard grip

Ping Hoofer (Black)

Here's me...who wants to guess?

Taylormade M4-9.5 (10.25 actual) Tensei CK blue 70 X

Callaway X2hot 4wood-17 degree-aldila tour blue stiff

Callaway X2hot 5 wood-19 degree-aldila tour blue stiff

Ben Hogan-Ft worth hi-23-kbs tour v stiff

Ben Hogan-PTX 27, 31, 35-kbs tour v stiff

Ben Hogan Ft Worth 15-39, 43, 47-kbs tour v stiff

Vokey SM6-52, 56-kbs tour stiff

Callaway PM Grind 58(bent to 60)-kbs tour v stiff

Odyssey O-works #9

Ok guys, let’s guess what a golfer I am....

Callaway BB Fusion 9* Motore VC 6.2 TS X

Callaway BB Fusion 3 wood (stock Recoil Stiff)

Callaway BB Fusion 5 wood (stock Recoil Stiff)

Callaway Rogue pro 3-PW KBS Tour V Stiff

Vokey SM6 52/60 S300

Odyssey Protype Tour Series #2

GD Tour AD TP 6X Big Bertha B21 9,5°

GD Tour AD MT 7X Callaway GBB Epic 18°

Fuji Ventus Blue 100X TI Callaway Apex UW 21°

DG Tour Issue X100 Callaway XForged'18 UT 24°

DG Tour Issue X100 Callaway Apex Pro'19 5-PW

DG Tour Issue Onyx S400 SM9 50°/54°/58° Jetblack

Odyssey ProType Black #2

Vice Pro

My bag...

I like your style. So much that some of your stick choices closely resemble my own. You're the classic type of player that these forums love. You know gear like the rest of us, but aren't necessarily a ho. You have a spread of timeless clubs that will be respected just as much 15 years from now as they were even 15 years ago. A player that uses his clubs until they fall apart. Likely has some nice little wear marks in the middle of those MP-33s that he's swung for 10 years. Doesn't need new SM6s or SM7s because, lets face it, those 200s help to win the money games just fine. 1ironcharlie is my favorite kind of player to walk past at the course, but not to play with. You threw the Rotex 2.0 in the bag back in 2015 to shut your ho friends up that have seen you playing some of the same clubs since 2004. The irony is that you bought it in the pro shop with the money they had to pay you after that bet. Keep the fire.

Here's me:

Ping Hoofer (Black)

I just realized, it's not a rotex 2.0, its a 588 rotex....

I don't even know what clubs I play, what am I doing here?

Hey all,

My Typical Bag:

You are very, very serious, and specific about golf equipment, and is guess it's not the only thing you're a specific about Very good mate i am a nightmare about my clubs and will only change them if the benefit is easily seem!

Your car, a midsize import, is impeccably clean and well maintained, and it is either paid off, or at a very low interest rate. Not bad again mate i do look after my cars and i drive an Audi TT (Hairdressers car) But i did pay for it cash. :)

Math and physics were your favorite subjects and you are likely to be in IT or engineering. Jeez i'm a Senior Instrument Engineer.

Your clothes are neat and so are your children's rooms. You prefer a method style of teaching, and any bad shots or rounds can be traced back to a minute swing flaw or discrepancy in equipment characteristics I don't have kids but yes i do manage on a second shot after a bad shot find the ability to fix things very quickly.

You have all the technical prowess of tiger, but have trouble producing the needed shot under pressure, and you struggle with outside the box shots. however, when everything is clicking, you're a hard man to beat, your technical knowledge gives you a confidence on certain shots that's well above your peers. Despite your penchant for players clubs, you don't like to work the ball unless you have to, and you dislike playing in adverse weather conditions I commend you on the Tiger comment but jeez i wish, I live in Scotland so play in VERY windy bad conditions all year round and being a predominantly links player i shape the ball A LOT to get it riding or holding against the wind (So really first one thats not spot on and if it was i was gona be asking where the cameras are hidden in my house) :)

There are more hours of footage of your golf swing that exist than the total runtime of the lord of the rings directors cut. The trilogy, not just one movie.Ive never been one to record my swing but i do have lessons so my coach may have some footage!)

That was all done in good fun and that was some excellent stuff! :) Im looking for a new motor that i can throw the clubs in without dissecting the bag so it'll fit :)

Thanks for taking the time, i'll have a go too see how i fair :)

• 4 weeks later...

My bag...

Here's me:

Ping Hoofer (Black)

Played in college -- maybe Division III. Former low single digits, but life gets in the way - work, family, don't get to play as much any more, so now you claim an 8 or so, but probably play over 10 because of the "blow up" holes. Long off the tee, but don't play enough to be consistent with the driver, so you tee off with the 3 or 5 on most holes. Still a solid ball striker whose miss is high & right. Can still card high 70s after a couple of beers, if it isn't too windy.

My bag:

Callaway Epic Sub Zero 9* (+1); PX Hzrdus Yellow 6.0 63g

Callaway X2 Hot 3Deep 14.5*; Aldila Green Stiff 3.7-75

Srixon U65 18* Stiff (stock shaft)

Titleist 816h2 23* or Titleist 716 T-MB 4i

Srixon Z765 5-PW; DG S300

Titleist SM6 GW 50-12 F Grind

Titleist SM4 SW 54-10

Titleist SM4 LW 58-08

Odyssey 2-Ball

Titleist ProV1

Titleist TSR3 9* (+1, neutral), Ventus Red TR 6X