judging players by their bags

MtlJeff

Ill give this a go.

Driver- XR w/ Rogue Max I/0 s (next time out will be an Epic w/ Atmos Blue s)

3 wood - XR w/ Whiteboard

3 hybrid - 8!yr old TM Burner

Irons - Mizuno MP-4 w/ PX 5.5 shafts (3-P)

Wedges - Cobra King 52* (bent to 51) & 56

Scotty - Futura X5M

Callaway Chrome Soft

Jones Bag with Chambers Bay, Olympic Club, Bandon Dunes, Trails hardcovers

All clubs have +4 MCC grips Woods - grey, irons -red, wedges- orange.

Better than the average player, and jones bags are amazing! Sub 5 handicap (my best guess is 2)Great short game. Putting is your weakness (marginal). Obviously you like to travel and play. Solid player not overly long or amazing at anything just can scramble and keep out of trouble. Nothing flashy or pretty, but I wouldn’t want to bet against you.

G400 Max 9* Ping tour 65r   

G410 17.5* Atmos Blue 7r

G25 23* oban devotion

G400 5-U AWT 2.0

Tour-W 56* AWT

Karsten Craz-e

Black Hoofer C-1 

K Sig

Usually, I'll watch a players first swing on the first tee, then glance into his bag. I find that the bigger the "hack" the more "monetary value" his bag holds.

what is your definition of a hack?

A hack in my definition is someone that has a hard time keeping a correct score, but brags how well they play.

A hack in your definition is probably someone who doesn't play as often as they would like to, and their game shows how little they play. Me, I'm a hack, even though I play 2x a week from April to October. And an annual trip with friends.

*EDIT-If you want to take a shot at my game, my bag is in my signature.

What makes this hard is the fact that people give us all these specs. You don’t really know if someone has what’s under the headcover or what shafts are really on the bag. I look at these as more generic assessments.

That is what is fun about this thread. People give you what they think they have. Some do give all the stats of their shafts/lofts/lengths etc. and you learn from that as well. Some give you very little, and you read into that as well. Sometimes it is a combination of brands. Other times its the combo of lofts. It can even be the lack of any combos. Some folks give you the bag, and truly, if they do, it matters to who they are. It is fun to think about what professional golfers represent what brands and how that impacts a regular golfer's bag. Heck, even a person's avatar is read into their assessments. And at the end, it is all just a guessing game. Fun thread, but not to be taken too seriously...

I’ll give this a go.

Driver- XR w/ Rogue Max I/0 s (next time out will be an Epic w/ Atmos Blue s)

3 wood - XR w/ Whiteboard

3 hybrid - 8!yr old TM Burner

Irons - Mizuno MP-4 w/ PX 5.5 shafts (3-P)

Wedges - Cobra King 52* (bent to 51) & 56

Scotty - Futura X5M

Callaway Chrome Soft

Jones Bag with Chambers Bay, Olympic Club, Bandon Dunes, Trails hardcovers

All clubs have +4 MCC grips Woods - grey, irons -red, wedges- orange.

Better than the average player, and jones bags are amazing! Sub 5 handicap (my best guess is 2)Great short game. Putting is your weakness (marginal). Obviously you like to travel and play. Solid player not overly long or amazing at anything just can scramble and keep out of trouble. Nothing flashy or pretty, but I wouldn’t want to bet against you.

About a 9 right now but struggling mightily with the driver, always played a fade and it turned into a pull. Irons and wedges keep me out of trouble with no big misses with them. Putting has become a strength, no more than 28 putts in last 4 months.

Funnily enough, I play my best when someone challenges me. Last tourney I shot the worst round in my flight and for the 2nd round the guy leading my flight was talking a ton of mess, 10 people bet him that I would beat him straight up the next day (he had almost a grand on it without even betting me) and I beat him by 6 strokes.

Alright, I'll give this a go. Judge me.

Driver - Titleist 915 D2 9.5 degrees, stock regular diamana shaft

Fairway Wood - Taylormade R11 4 wood, stock stiff shaft

Hybrid - Cobra F7, stock stiff shaft

Irons - Callaway Diablo Forged 4-AW, stock steel shafts

Wedges - Titleist Spin Milled SM-6, 54/10 and 58/8

Putter - Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless or Odyssey White Ice Rossie, I use the Odyssey early season when the greens are slow and switch back to the Scotty once the pace picks up.

Bag - University of Wyoming Cart Bag

Ping G430 Max KaiLi White 60 Stiff (9 degree)
Cobra King RAD 3 Wood Fujikura Motore X F3 Stiff (14.5 degree setting)
Mizuno CLK Hybrid (19 and 22 degree, I swap them out depending on the wind in the parking lot)

Mizuno JPX-921 Hot Metal Pro 4-5 Irons - KBS Tour Regular Flex Steel Shafts

Mizuno JPX-921 Forged 6 Iron - G Wedge - KBS Tour Regular Flex Steel Shafts 
Titleist SM9 54 and 58 
Scotty Cameron Phantom X6 CS (34")

This is my travel bag (I'm a sales rep on the road every week so it gets a ton of play)

Driver: Titleist 983k 9.5*

1 iron: Titleist DCI black

Hybrid: Titleist 585h

Irons: Titleist DCI 962 4-PW

Wedges: Titleist Vokey 200 series 50/54/58

Putter: Acushnet wide flange bullseye w/ sound slot

the 90's called, they want their bag back.

:D

This is my travel bag (I'm a sales rep on the road every week so it gets a ton of play)

You're not joking! So what does this bag say about Farva? The 6 hcp on his sig is probably as high as he's been since his junior year in highschool. You know, back when spent his summers picking range balls at the local CC in the evenings after spending the mornings at the pool. Naturally gifted, who really wants to practice all the time? Besides, golf was for whimps, Farva played football and basketball, which cramped his golf style. Got serous after college, fell in love with Titleist. The putter is a tough one, it leans toward a smaller person, but I'm sticking with a big guy, like 6'2" and 215lbs. It is also interesting that he'd carry a 1-iron and no fairway wood. But really, between the best driver ever made, and a decent hybrid, the one iron is just for show, and the occasional short par 4. I love the older wedges. This leads me to believe that even though Farva is a great player, he doesn't like the urethane covered balls. Maybe a Wilson Duo? But probably a a Titleist NXT Tour, I mean, like Farva has ever even held a Wilson club?!? Oh he did, infact his first clubs were probably a handed down set of Wilson Staff Tour blades. The real question is: what is your non traveling bag? If you say it's a full bag of Bridgestones or Pings, I'm not going to be surprised, but it really doesn't help your game any, does it? If I'm way off, that's great, fun bag to guess at...

I’ll give this a try

Driver- 2017 9.5 taylormade M2 Tour Ad Bb7x

3 wood- Mizuno clk-f Japan release Tour Ad di

Driving iron- M2 LIFT 2 iron 16* project X black

Hybrid- 19* M1 Tour Ad YSQ

Irons- 5-Aw P790 Project X LZ 6.5

Wedges- Bettinardi h2 54* & 58*

Putter- Bettinardi bb1 Raw

Bag- Vessel custom 6 way stand bag

Ball-Tp5x & Tp5 course depending

TSi3 9* Ventus Black 7x

TSI3 13* Tour AD HD 8X

U505 1 iron Ventus Black 10tx

T200 4-5 PX 7.0

T100s 6-pw PX 7.0

Vokey Sm8 48,54,58T

Cameron Phantom x7

I came too this thread late, but I'm now bitten by it. Let's see what you think my bag says about my game:

DRIVER: Alpha golf 10.5 w Fujikura XLR* -R

3-WOOD Cally X-Hot, stock PX- R shaft

5 WOOD (20*) Louisville Golf (persimmon) Niblick, PX-R shaft

7 WOOD (24*) Louisville Golf (persimmon) Niblick PX-R shaft

4-PW KZG Evolutions, Nippon NA Pro 950's, R

52*, 56* KZG Evolutions, TT Dynalite S

Odyssey Sabertooth 33"

Srixon Q-Star Tour ball

BAG- SnakeEyes stand bag

Driver: Alpha Golf C830.2 10.5*; Fujikura XLR8 R
3 wood: Cally X-hot, PX- R
5 wood: Louisville Golf persimmon Niblick PX-R
7 wood: Louisville Golf persimmon Niblick PX-R
4-PW: KZG Evolutions Nippon NP Pro 950 - R
52*, 56* KZG Evolutions TT Dynalite S
Odyssey Sabertooth
Srixon Q-Star Tour

So I will give you 2 bags. One that I play now, and one that I hope to play after Christmas and my birthday in January. Will see if your opinion changes between the 2.

FWIW, everything is stock shafts.

Current:

TM R1 set at 10.5

917F2 16.5 (this just replaced a Callaway steelhead 3w (20+ years with original grip)

Callaway Steelhead III 5w (also original grip)

Mizuno MP-57 5-PW (4 got lost after a top golf outing)

Cleveland 588 51 (10+ years old)

Cleveland RTX-3 56/full bounce (raw finish)

Cleveland 588 60/low bounce (10+ years old)

Ping Wack-E putter with the grip getting fuzzy

With the holidays and $600 in shop credit from gifts/tournament winnings, here is want I hope to have in 6 months:

917D2 10.5

917F2 16.5 (already have)

917F2 TBD

818H1 TBD (these depend on a fitting to figure out how to fill in the 50 yard gap between the 3W and the 5I

MP-57 5 thru PW

RTX-3 51

RTX-3 56/full

RTX-3 60/low

Toulon Design Memphis (compliments of a friend with a lot of $$$ who buys extra for others when be buys for himself).

Titleist bag won from member guest 2 years ago

While this is a lot of stuff to get in a short amount of time, I have not spent any money on my set with the exception of the 3W and the 56 in 6 or 7 years. One thing i did notice is that after getting the 917F2, my stance and alignment between the driver the 3W and the 5W got way off. Visually they were way different and i did not have a lot of confidence standing over the ball if I hit any combo of the 3 over the course of a few holes. Hard to hit a good one if the face is open or closed at address.

You're not joking! So what does this bag say about Farva? The 6 hcp on his sig is probably as high as he's been since his junior year in highschool. You know, back when spent his summers picking range balls at the local CC in the evenings after spending the mornings at the pool. Naturally gifted, who really wants to practice all the time? Besides, golf was for whimps, Farva played football and basketball, which cramped his golf style. Got serous after college, fell in love with Titleist. The putter is a tough one, it leans toward a smaller person, but I'm sticking with a big guy, like 6'2" and 215lbs. It is also interesting that he'd carry a 1-iron and no fairway wood. But really, between the best driver ever made, and a decent hybrid, the one iron is just for show, and the occasional short par 4. I love the older wedges. This leads me to believe that even though Farva is a great player, he doesn't like the urethane covered balls. Maybe a Wilson Duo? But probably a a Titleist NXT Tour, I mean, like Farva has ever even held a Wilson club?!? Oh he did, infact his first clubs were probably a handed down set of Wilson Staff Tour blades. The real question is: what is your non traveling bag? If you say it's a full bag of Bridgestones or Pings, I'm not going to be surprised, but it really doesn't help your game any, does it? If I'm way off, that's great, fun bag to guess at...

Haha this had me chuckling throughout! Thanks for the response. You are dang good at this!! Little Farva was basically just as described. Now not so little, 6'2" 225. Football, check. Basketball, check. Was probably best at baseball, but my summers were for the pool and the course by the time I got into high school. Ball of choice with this bag is absolutely NXT Tour. My first real set I played in high school was the same set my dad used when he was in high school, Wilson blades. 983k was first driver I ever bought myself and it was all love for titleist after that. All these clubs were bought in college with exception of the putter. You got me on the 1 iron! Mostly show, but I'm in Iowa and with the winds in the summer this thing is a niice fairway finder. The putter was my Grandpas. He passed away and it's a way to keep him with me when I play. He taught me how to play and play we did. The guy had 13 career hole in ones! Regular bag is mixed, consisting of M2 driver(2016) & M1 4wd, MP 64's, Cally MD2tg wedges. Thanks again, that was fun!

• 3 weeks later...

Got a new set up recently. Please judge.

Hit em good's bag:

Driver: Ping G30

3w: Ping G15

5w: Ping G15

23* Hybrid: Ping G25

5i: Mizuno MCC mp fli hi

6i - pw: Mizuno MP 54

Wedges: Vokey 50 / 54 / 58

Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

Balls: Pro v 1 and 1x

Driver: Ping G25

4w & 7w: Ping G25

23° Hybrid: Ping G25

5i - pw: Mizuno MP64

54° & 58°: Cleveland RTX 4 raw

Putter: The Wilson 8802 (vintage model)

Ball:  Titleist Pro V1x
Bag: Original Jones Golf Bag (green)

So much fun to read... lets go!

Titleist 915 D2 10,5* Diamana Kai´li 60S

Titleist 910 Fd 15* Diamana Kai´li 75S

Taylormade M2 19* Reax 70S or Callaway Apex CF16 3I 18* TT XP 95S ...depends

Callaway Apex CF16 4-PW TT XP 95S

Mizuno MP-R12 50* 56* 60* TT Dynamic Gold S200

Odyssey White Ice 2-Ball CS

Bridgestone E6 or Callaway Supersoft in low season

Bridgestone B330S or Nike RZN Black in high season

Callaway Dawn Patrol

Titleist StaDry Standbag Navy White

Ecco Biom Hybrid Shoes

Coolest thread I have seen. I'll play...

Cobra F7+ 9 degree. Project X handcrafted Proto 6.5.

Cobra S9-1 Pro 15 degree. Aldila XVS8

Ping G (4,5,6,7) Project X 7.0

Ping i20 (8,9) Project X 7.0

Ping Glide (48 SS, 52 SS, 56 TS, 60 WS)

Scotty Cameron Detour

Ogio club logo bag

Taylormade TP5X

Nike Flyknit Elite

This looks like the perfect place for my first post.

Titleist 917D3 8.5* - Fujikura Speeder Pro TS 74 (MCC +4 midsize on everything, black/grey)

Titleist 917F2 15* - Diamana S+ 80 TX

Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3 iron (21*) - Dynamic Gold S300 (all irons)

Mizuno MX300 4-6 iron

Mizuno MP58 7-PW

Titleist SM6 52* - F Grind

Titleist SM6 56* - S Grind

Titleist SM6 60* - M Grind

Scotty Cameron Tei3 Santa Fe 2 - Matador midsize, black

Vice Pure glove

Titleist ProV1 / TaylorMade TP5x (can't make up my mind)

Titleist Players 14 Stand Bag, black

Very interesting thread with some cool set ups!

Taylormade M1 440 2017 9.5*- Fujikura Speeder 661 Evolution Tour Spec S

Ping Anser 4 Wood 16.5* - Aldila R.I.P 70 X

Ping i20 20* - Ping Tfc X

Ping G5 4-9 - Og Ping S

Callaway MD3 46. 50, 54, 58 - Dynamic Gold X100

Ping A Blade 85029 1970

Titleist Pro V1X

Taylormade TourLite Blue/Flash

Would it be fair to say that people judge other people for basically everything about them? It could be the clothes they wear the hat they wear the way they talk and walk, Etc. Judgement is not necessarily A Bad Thing it's just sort of lousy when we judge as we look down on people for who they are. I can make a judgement on a person and admire them at the same time.

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>Mavrik Max 4, 5, 6, 7 hybrids

>7--SW Dynacraft Prophet Muscle Blade Irons

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

>Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide Putter

Haha this had me chuckling throughout! Thanks for the response. You are dang good at this!! Little Farva was basically just as described. Now not so little, 6'2" 225. Football, check. Basketball, check. Was probably best at baseball, but my summers were for the pool and the course by the time I got into high school. Ball of choice with this bag is absolutely NXT Tour. My first real set I played in high school was the same set my dad used when he was in high school, Wilson blades. 983k was first driver I ever bought myself and it was all love for titleist after that. All these clubs were bought in college with exception of the putter. You got me on the 1 iron! Mostly show, but I'm in Iowa and with the winds in the summer this thing is a niice fairway finder. The putter was my Grandpas. He passed away and it's a way to keep him with me when I play. He taught me how to play and play we did. The guy had 13 career hole in ones! Regular bag is mixed, consisting of M2 driver(2016) & M1 4wd, MP 64's, Cally MD2tg wedges. Thanks again, that was fun!

jslane is really good at this!!! 10lbs, the ball AND Farva's first set...not just how accurate, but entertaining writing. I've said it before but He and swing blues...love reading their posts in this thread.

Very interesting thread with some cool set ups!

Taylormade M1 440 2017 9.5*- Fujikura Speeder 661 Evolution Tour Spec S

Ping Anser 4 Wood 16.5* - Aldila R.I.P 70 X

Ping i20 20* - Ping Tfc X

Ping G5 4-9 - Og Ping S

Callaway MD3 46. 50, 54, 58 - Dynamic Gold X100

Ping A Blade 85029 1970

Titleist Pro V1X

Taylormade TourLite Blue/Flash

I judge that you know what you like and stick with it once you find it. Kind of an oddball here on GolfWRX, you're whatever is the opposite of "club ho". That Anser 4w/i20 3-hybrid combo is about as untrendy as a fairway wood and hybrid could be.

The oddity is the Taylormade bag but hey a bag is just bag and I only judge a man by his clubs ;-)

P.S. I also judge that your taste in putter is absolutely brilliant!

Learnt years ago never to judge anyone by their bag or dress as I was paired with a guy in a works comp. He rocked up late , wasn't sharply dressed and had a ramshackle old carry bag with mixed clubs including a favourite 7 iron from a different set .Thought to myself here we go . Every drive down the middle , greens in reg etc yip he played off +1. He just couldn't be bothered with all the posing and one-upmanship of the look at me people who thought they could play.

Having said all that it's still hard to not make judgements based on first impressions when meeting someone new on the first tee in a Comp.

I have always wondered why people need to have everything by the same manufacturer , just because its made by X doesn't mean it'll be the best for your game.

If you have squinty eyes and a year round tan I'm not playing you for money.

I say you are one of the following two players......,

If squinty eyes and year round tan (as mentioned above):

1) Total player, very low single digit capper, you are either on the green or getting up and down, and never miss 5 foot putts.

or

If pale, pudgy and out of shape:

2) Complete hacker that doesn't even know that his clubs are 20+ years old, shoots in the 100's if all strokes were counted.

Driver: Ping G25

4w & 7w: Ping G25

23° Hybrid: Ping G25

5i - pw: Mizuno MP64

54° & 58°: Cleveland RTX 4 raw

Putter: The Wilson 8802 (vintage model)

Ball:  Titleist Pro V1x
Bag: Original Jones Golf Bag (green)

fed01d0516f1893b3067bfa28e2bee00.jpg

Here's my bag... you be the judge!?!

I think it screams old guy or LPGA player... 11/14 clubs have headcovers, graphite shafted irons, 3 hybrids three different brands, 816 alpha 3 wood and Epic SZ... it's a enigma wrapped in a riddle! :-)

Driver: Epic SZ 10.5 665 Speeder

3 Wood: Epic Flash 
Hybrids: Epic 3 wood and 3, 4, 5 hybrids
Irons: Yamaha Inpres X V Forged Recoil 80 
Wedges: Vokey SM7 50, PM Grind 54/11 and 58/10
Putter: Cameron 2016 Golo 3

Roast me fam!

M1 2016 430 9.5 Tour AD GP 7S

M2 2016 15 Diamana S+ 7S

Titleist H2 19 Motore Speeder HB 8.8 S

Mizuno MP Fli Hi 3 Iron 21 PX 6.0

Mizuno MP 64 KBS Tour C-Taper 120 S

Fourteen RM 12 54/60 KBS Tour Custom Black Mist

Bettinardi BB5

Use a Sun Mountain 2.5+ all Black bag to haul these bats.

WITB:

Taylormade 2016 M1 430 9.5 - Tour AD GP 7S
Taylormade 2016 M2 15 - Diamana S+ 70 S
Titleist H2 19 - Fujikura Motore Speeder HB 8.8S
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21 - PX 6.0
Miuzno MP 64 - KBS Tour C-Taper 120 S
Fourteen RM 12 54/60 - KBS Tour Custom Black Mist
Bettinardi BB5

anyway, so what does your bag say about you? Anyone got any general comments on what they see?

Uh, maybe, CNR's color coordination is better than his swing.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

Just a reminder to keep thread going in previous manner, please post regarding another's set-up before requesting input on your own.

Titleist TSR2 10* (d4 surefit) Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2s
Titleist 904f 17* YS7+s
Titleist 962b 3-pw s300
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 52* s400
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 58* s400
Ping Zing2 BeCu