Blade users thread (NO DEBATING CLUBHEADS! NO Buy Sell Trade!)

1652653654656658

Comments

  • wrm2120wrm2120 Members Posts: 48 ✭✭

    Does anyone still make a set with a 50 degree PW?

    I know that, in the long run, the number on the bottom isn't that big of a deal... I guess I'm just curious.

    Driver: Callaway XR 16
    3 Wood: Taylormade Aeroburner HL
    Irons: Ping S-55 (3-PW)
    Wedges: Ping Glide (54 & 58)
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2
    Ball: Titleist NXT Tour
  • wmblake2000wmblake2000 Los AngelesMembers Posts: 5,908 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @wfrogge1 said:
    Legendary!!!!!! I can hit them good enough and that’s good enough for me

    Very nice. This is another set that always has appealed to my eye. Right now with 3 sets of older blades (MP4, Adams MB2 and Mac 1025M)... I am probably saturated. But these will eventually make it to the top of the queue.

    Almost done with MB2 build. Each time I build a set, I get a little more patient and a little more precise. Just awaiting new ferrules (should have come today, wanted to build them tonight and play them tomorrow, but one more day).

    Ping GMax 400 10.5 TPT 17 LKP
    Callawy Epic 5W 
    Callaway X-hot pro 3,4 h
    Mizuno MP4 4-W, KBS tour-v, 110 S
    Mizuno MP-64 4-W, c-taper lite, 105 R
    Fourteen mt28v3 50, 54, 58
    Cameron Futura 5W


  • Nard_SNard_S Members Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    Are those 680's the re-issue ones? Look great.
    I'm might be taking the 681's out for a spin on the course this weekend, doing a range session with those and the Cobra's today to figure out call.

  • wmblake2000wmblake2000 Los AngelesMembers Posts: 5,908 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @Nard_S said:
    Are those 680's the re-issue ones? Look great.
    I'm might be taking the 681's out for a spin on the course this weekend, doing a range session with those and the Cobra's today to figure out call.

    Is there much diff between 680/681? I know 681 is tiger’s model and I see the t models on eBay for a lot of money.

    Ping GMax 400 10.5 TPT 17 LKP
    Callawy Epic 5W 
    Callaway X-hot pro 3,4 h
    Mizuno MP4 4-W, KBS tour-v, 110 S
    Mizuno MP-64 4-W, c-taper lite, 105 R
    Fourteen mt28v3 50, 54, 58
    Cameron Futura 5W


  • Joe SJoe S Members Posts: 85 ✭✭✭

    @wmblake2000 said:

    @Nard_S said:
    Are those 680's the re-issue ones? Look great.
    I'm might be taking the 681's out for a spin on the course this weekend, doing a range session with those and the Cobra's today to figure out call.

    Is there much diff between 680/681? I know 681 is tiger’s model and I see the t models on eBay for a lot of money.

    You can compare the specs of the two here. The 681's have constant offset, increasing bounce in the short irons and 1 degree weaker loft. The 680's have progressive offset and constant bounce. There may be other differences as well.

    https://www.titleist.com/previous-models?SearchTerm=&GolfClubType=3&ModelYear=&OrderBy=year&page=2

  • Nard_SNard_S Members Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    Sounds like Joe S nailed it, I've heard of the offset difference but not of the bounce. Have never even hit a 680, but hear Adam Scott still plays them.
    I came away today flipping a coin on the Cobra's or 681's. Love them both, Cobra's are lighter and more svelte swinging, They are cut 1/2" short and it is on the tip. Crazy accurate. The Titleist's are heavy metal pounders with a +1'2"length. May fix that someday but they are long clubs even without it.. Both are a joy to nut. May end up doing a split.

  • wmblake2000wmblake2000 Los AngelesMembers Posts: 5,908 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 9, 2019 10:28pm #19660

    @Joe S said:

    @wmblake2000 said:

    @Nard_S said:
    Are those 680's the re-issue ones? Look great.
    I'm might be taking the 681's out for a spin on the course this weekend, doing a range session with those and the Cobra's today to figure out call.

    Is there much diff between 680/681? I know 681 is tiger’s model and I see the t models on eBay for a lot of money.

    You can compare the specs of the two here. The 681's have constant offset, increasing bounce in the short irons and 1 degree weaker loft. The 680's have progressive offset and constant bounce. There may be other differences as well.

    https://www.titleist.com/previous-models?SearchTerm=&GolfClubType=3&ModelYear=&OrderBy=year&page=2

    That’s a great feature from Titleist - wish all oem’s has that. Seems access to legacy club data is much less available than it used to be

    Ping GMax 400 10.5 TPT 17 LKP
    Callawy Epic 5W 
    Callaway X-hot pro 3,4 h
    Mizuno MP4 4-W, KBS tour-v, 110 S
    Mizuno MP-64 4-W, c-taper lite, 105 R
    Fourteen mt28v3 50, 54, 58
    Cameron Futura 5W


  • No_Catchy_NicknameNo_Catchy_Nickname Kyushu,_JapanMembers Posts: 5,471 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @Bogey2Birdie said:
    Yonex

    Selling my Ezones is possibly my biggest ho'ing regret. They were great irons.

    Driver: Ping G400 Tour 65S
    4w: TaylorMade R9 stock Fujikura Motore X flex
    7w TaylorMade V-steel, Quadra Fire Express RB 6SX
    Hybrid: RomaRo iBrid 23* Attas EZ 85S
    Irons (4i-PW): Wilson fg-62 S300 4/5-PW or MP4 Yoro Modus 125X 5-PW
    Wedges: Callaway MD2 T-grind combination of 52*, 56*, 58*, 60*
    Putter: Mac Jack Nicklaus Muirfield

    Old stuff: Tons of persimmon and older irons. 
  • BubbtubbsBubbtubbs Members Posts: 476 ✭✭✭✭

    @Bogey2Birdie said:
    Yonex

    Beautiful sticks, but those ferrule covers are downright offensive.

  • justasgoodjustasgood Without Tempo, you are just a hacker. Members Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 10, 2019 2:08pm #19663

    @Bubbtubbs said:

    @Bogey2Birdie said:
    Yonex

    Beautiful sticks, but those ferrule covers are downright offensive.

    So are spelling mistakes.......

  • BubbtubbsBubbtubbs Members Posts: 476 ✭✭✭✭

    @justasgood said:

    @Bubbtubbs said:

    @Bogey2Birdie said:
    Yonex

    Beautiful sticks, but those ferrule covers are downright offensive.

    So are spelling mistakes.......

    I agree, but I'm confused - did I misspell something?

  • justasgoodjustasgood Without Tempo, you are just a hacker. Members Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @Bubbtubbs said:

    @justasgood said:

    @Bubbtubbs said:

    @Bogey2Birdie said:
    Yonex

    Beautiful sticks, but those ferrule covers are downright offensive.

    So are spelling mistakes.......

    I agree, but I'm confused - did I misspell something?

    Sorry it was a jest in good fun. Did you mean ferrule covers or ferrule colors?

    Best,

    Kurt

  • justasgoodjustasgood Without Tempo, you are just a hacker. Members Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @justasgood said:

    @Bubbtubbs said:

    @justasgood said:

    @Bubbtubbs said:

    @Bogey2Birdie said:
    Yonex

    Beautiful sticks, but those ferrule covers are downright offensive.

    So are spelling mistakes.......

    I agree, but I'm confused - did I misspell something?

    Sorry it was a jest in good fun. Not a spelling error. Did you mean ferrule covers or ferrule colors?

    Best,

    Kurt

  • BubbtubbsBubbtubbs Members Posts: 476 ✭✭✭✭

    @justasgood said:

    @Bubbtubbs said:

    @justasgood said:

    @Bubbtubbs said:

    @Bogey2Birdie said:
    Yonex

    Beautiful sticks, but those ferrule covers are downright offensive.

    So are spelling mistakes.......

    I agree, but I'm confused - did I misspell something?

    Sorry it was a jest in good fun. Did you mean ferrule covers or ferrule colors?

    Best,

    Kurt

    I meant covers, but I see they're just "ferrules" and adding covers is redundant. Oops!

    The green is really bold though. High vis!

  • NixLix26NixLix26 Members Posts: 342 ✭✭✭✭

    @Bogey2Birdie said:
    Yonex

    I must know what number model putter that is. I don’t think I’ve seen a longneck X model

    CURRENT BAG SETUP
    George Izett - Model 129
    SRIXON  - H45  16*
    CLEVELAND - TA3'S form forged   3-PW
    CLEVELAND - 588 CHROME - 53*
    TITLEIST - SM6  58*
    COBRA - 88 Model

    [/size]

    https://www.instagram.com/nixlix26/
  • boggymanboggyman Members Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    I like high bounce. Love my ole trusty FG 17s, might have to go on the prowl for some Apex to see what they’re all about. > @revanant said:

    Here’s the sole of the Apex and Blueprint. They're both high bounce.

  • Bogey2BirdieBogey2Birdie West Palm BeachMembers Posts: 41 ✭✭
    edited Aug 12, 2019 2:00am #19670

    @NixLix26 said:

    @Bogey2Birdie said:
    Yonex

    I must know what number model putter that is. I don’t think I’ve seen a longneck X model

    Its a Red X 5 its very accurate, someone said to me once it won a Scotty putter accuracy contest of all SC putters, due to the fact this model had a stiffer shaft, not sure if that's correct.
    My Yonex MB iron ferrule's color looks modern and go w blue Lamkin utx grips. The iron's flight shots, to back up the look too;) Its been my set for 4+ years now... I am very familiar with each club. My game has grown sticking with a good set.

    Post edited by Bogey2Birdie on

    Mizuno ST-190 9.5 / AD I-Z 8x
    TEE CB Pro f2 15 / Fuel 70x TS
    TEE CB Pro f2 18 / 757 Evo x
    Yonex Ezone MB Irons DGX100
    Miura Wedge Series 51,55,59 DG
    SC Red X5 Putter 33.75 / Tour B xs

  • BigmeanBigmean Everything is Relative Members Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    No need to totally forsake.....


    I swear with this build. I am done with irons for a decade barring breakage or if the small blades need to be stripped and restarted...I really mean it. For real.....

    I was on the DL myself. Cut my left hand pointer finger knuckle
    To bone. Did nothing, cause I’m an idiot. It got infected, finally was smart enough to go in when hand was swollen and not it is back to a bump on my Knuckle that I think I need drained/lanced. This has been like 3 weeks...So gripping clubs feels better but still hurts a little. Looking to maybe play the new set this weekend....

    Ryoma Maxima 9.5*/Quadra Fire Express
    913F 15*/Tour AD MT7
    Roddio 21* hybrid/Tour AD DI75
    Miura 1957 small blades/Nippon 1150 tours
    Wilson Staff V4 tour modus 130
    Mizuno MP-14/DG300-raw finish
    Buchi 50/56. RomaRo 59
    Gold's Factory custom original flat-stick amongst a couple dozen others.
  • Kingcat990Kingcat990 European Tailored Golf Socks Members Posts: 3,932 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    Glad to hear you're still alive BigM. Those CB57's look great.

    Speaking of looking great, these popped up on my radar. Don't know why, but these speak to me. Catch/CTS, you guys ever see these lounging around the used racks in Japan? May have to snipe a set of these from the auctions. I can live with that beefier topline.


    Wyoming Cowboys
  • lbressoudlbressoud Members Posts: 8 ✭✭
    edited Aug 12, 2019 10:46pm #19673

    I purchased and am currently playing my first set of blades (Titleist 712 MB). 3-pw
    I am interested in possibly making it a combo set and replacing the long irons with something a bit more forgiving.
    Does anyone have any suggestions or examples of combo sets they've used with titleist MBs?
    Im a bit concerned about gapping as i generally order all of my equipment before testing (through WRX classifieds).

  • balls_deepballs_deep Members Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @lbressoud said:
    I purchased and am currently playing my first set of blades (Titleist 712 MB). 3-pw
    I am interested in possibly making it a combo set and replacing the long irons with something a bit more forgiving.
    Does anyone have any suggestions or examples of combo sets they've used with titleist MBs?
    Im a bit concerned about gapping as i generally order all of my equipment before testing (through WRX classifieds).

    If you can pick up some 716 or 718 CB or TMB long irons you'll notice a bit difference in forgiveness. The CB after 714 had tungsten co-forged into the heel and toe and it makes a bit difference to off centre strikes. 716 Cb = 714 AP2 in forgiveness.

    Cobra F9 Speedback HZRDUS HC Black 62g
    Titleist 917F2 15.75°  HZRDUS HC Black 75g
    Titleist 816H1 20° Accra FX200H M4
    Titleist 718 T-MB 4i Project X LZ 6.0
    Titleist 716 CB 5i-PW Project X LZ 6.0
    Vokey 52f 56f 60d Project X LZ 6.0
    Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2 350g 34.5"
    Pro V1

    Currently - 6.9


  • No_Catchy_NicknameNo_Catchy_Nickname Kyushu,_JapanMembers Posts: 5,471 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @Kingcat990 said:
    Glad to hear you're still alive BigM. Those CB57's look great.

    Speaking of looking great, these popped up on my radar. Don't know why, but these speak to me. Catch/CTS, you guys ever see these lounging around the used racks in Japan? May have to snipe a set of these from the auctions. I can live with that beefier topline.


    Haven't seen any for a while, but the local secondhand shop had a few sets in a couple of years back, and I gave them a whack in the net. They're a cast blade, but don't let that put you off. They felt really good to me.

    Driver: Ping G400 Tour 65S
    4w: TaylorMade R9 stock Fujikura Motore X flex
    7w TaylorMade V-steel, Quadra Fire Express RB 6SX
    Hybrid: RomaRo iBrid 23* Attas EZ 85S
    Irons (4i-PW): Wilson fg-62 S300 4/5-PW or MP4 Yoro Modus 125X 5-PW
    Wedges: Callaway MD2 T-grind combination of 52*, 56*, 58*, 60*
    Putter: Mac Jack Nicklaus Muirfield

    Old stuff: Tons of persimmon and older irons. 
  • wmblake2000wmblake2000 Los AngelesMembers Posts: 5,908 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    I played the Adams MB2 first 18 today. First impression is they are a distant second to the MP4, but look so good in the bag, all dull and kinda rusty, that they'll get a second change to wow me.

    BigM, I was wondering if you were injured... Every time I use power tools I think 'don't cut your fingers off' and no sooner than I think it, my mind wanders off into a creek and I am at the whim of the power tool gods to whom I pay homage that I still have all 10.

    Ping GMax 400 10.5 TPT 17 LKP
    Callawy Epic 5W 
    Callaway X-hot pro 3,4 h
    Mizuno MP4 4-W, KBS tour-v, 110 S
    Mizuno MP-64 4-W, c-taper lite, 105 R
    Fourteen mt28v3 50, 54, 58
    Cameron Futura 5W


  • Kingcat990Kingcat990 European Tailored Golf Socks Members Posts: 3,932 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @No_Catchy_Nickname said:

    @Kingcat990 said:
    Glad to hear you're still alive BigM. Those CB57's look great.

    Speaking of looking great, these popped up on my radar. Don't know why, but these speak to me. Catch/CTS, you guys ever see these lounging around the used racks in Japan? May have to snipe a set of these from the auctions. I can live with that beefier topline.


    Haven't seen any for a while, but the local secondhand shop had a few sets in a couple of years back, and I gave them a whack in the net. They're a cast blade, but don't let that put you off. They felt really good to me.

    It doesn't put me off, but it absolutely explains its thickness throughout. I thought at first it was another hollow design, but it is a 2 piece club as they state their face is an 8620, which is a soft carbon.

    Even still they demand a higher price. Is that common with Akira? Their lineup now looks very GI/SGI

    Wyoming Cowboys
  • NRJyzrNRJyzr Allez Allez Allez Minnesota, USAMembers Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @wrm2120 said:
    Does anyone still make a set with a 50 degree PW?

    I know that, in the long run, the number on the bottom isn't that big of a deal... I guess I'm just curious.

    Don't think anyone has commented on this yet.

    I've not seen a 50* PW among the current product lines. Most are 46* or 47* these days. I guess even blade players aren't immune to marketing by delofting.

    Closest I've seen in the last 20 years, such as comes to mind at moment, are the Nike forged blades of the early 2000s, which had a 49* PW.

    The Ever Changing Bag!

    Driver: Ping Eye2, ZZ-lite shaft
    3w: Ping Eye2, ZZ-lite shaft
    2h:  TM Stage 2 Tour, Nv105 stiff -or- 1 iron: Maxfli Revolution, DGS400
    2-PW, Golden Ram Tour Grind TW282, Precision 6.5
    SW: Ram Tour Grind Feel Matched 58*, DGS -or- Ram TG-898 56*, DGS
    Putter: Cleveland Huntington Beach #1 35"
    Balls: in no particular order... Wilson Staff FG Tour, Duo Urethane/Professional, or 50 Elite, Srixon ZStar/ZStar XV, Snell MTB Black... will trot out Maxfli HT-100 or Elite 90 from time to time

    I've proven once again that anything over 44.5" or even 44.25" is a horrible fit for my tee game
  • Joe SJoe S Members Posts: 85 ✭✭✭

    @NRJyzr said:

    @wrm2120 said:
    Does anyone still make a set with a 50 degree PW?

    I know that, in the long run, the number on the bottom isn't that big of a deal... I guess I'm just curious.

    Don't think anyone has commented on this yet.

    I've not seen a 50* PW among the current product lines. Most are 46* or 47* these days. I guess even blade players aren't immune to marketing by delofting.

    Closest I've seen in the last 20 years, such as comes to mind at moment, are the Nike forged blades of the early 2000s, which had a 49* PW.

    Callaway makes a 51 degree A wedge that matches the Apex MB's. It's technically not a P wedge, but if you don't mind shifting your set by one number you get a matching wedge to the set.

  • No_Catchy_NicknameNo_Catchy_Nickname Kyushu,_JapanMembers Posts: 5,471 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @Kingcat990 said:

    @No_Catchy_Nickname said:

    @Kingcat990 said:
    Glad to hear you're still alive BigM. Those CB57's look great.

    Speaking of looking great, these popped up on my radar. Don't know why, but these speak to me. Catch/CTS, you guys ever see these lounging around the used racks in Japan? May have to snipe a set of these from the auctions. I can live with that beefier topline.


    Haven't seen any for a while, but the local secondhand shop had a few sets in a couple of years back, and I gave them a whack in the net. They're a cast blade, but don't let that put you off. They felt really good to me.

    It doesn't put me off, but it absolutely explains its thickness throughout. I thought at first it was another hollow design, but it is a 2 piece club as they state their face is an 8620, which is a soft carbon.

    Even still they demand a higher price. Is that common with Akira? Their lineup now looks very GI/SGI

    Akira are a boutique maker, so they are on the pricier side. At least, that from what I've seen around me.

    Driver: Ping G400 Tour 65S
    4w: TaylorMade R9 stock Fujikura Motore X flex
    7w TaylorMade V-steel, Quadra Fire Express RB 6SX
    Hybrid: RomaRo iBrid 23* Attas EZ 85S
    Irons (4i-PW): Wilson fg-62 S300 4/5-PW or MP4 Yoro Modus 125X 5-PW
    Wedges: Callaway MD2 T-grind combination of 52*, 56*, 58*, 60*
    Putter: Mac Jack Nicklaus Muirfield

    Old stuff: Tons of persimmon and older irons. 
  • NRJyzrNRJyzr Allez Allez Allez Minnesota, USAMembers Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @Joe S said:

    @NRJyzr said:

    @wrm2120 said:
    Does anyone still make a set with a 50 degree PW?

    I know that, in the long run, the number on the bottom isn't that big of a deal... I guess I'm just curious.

    Don't think anyone has commented on this yet.

    I've not seen a 50* PW among the current product lines. Most are 46* or 47* these days. I guess even blade players aren't immune to marketing by delofting.

    Closest I've seen in the last 20 years, such as comes to mind at moment, are the Nike forged blades of the early 2000s, which had a 49* PW.

    Callaway makes a 51 degree A wedge that matches the Apex MB's. It's technically not a P wedge, but if you don't mind shifting your set by one number you get a matching wedge to the set.

    It's about the only option these days. Get a 46/47 PW set and supplement with a 50/51 GW

    The Ever Changing Bag!

    Driver: Ping Eye2, ZZ-lite shaft
    3w: Ping Eye2, ZZ-lite shaft
    2h:  TM Stage 2 Tour, Nv105 stiff -or- 1 iron: Maxfli Revolution, DGS400
    2-PW, Golden Ram Tour Grind TW282, Precision 6.5
    SW: Ram Tour Grind Feel Matched 58*, DGS -or- Ram TG-898 56*, DGS
    Putter: Cleveland Huntington Beach #1 35"
    Balls: in no particular order... Wilson Staff FG Tour, Duo Urethane/Professional, or 50 Elite, Srixon ZStar/ZStar XV, Snell MTB Black... will trot out Maxfli HT-100 or Elite 90 from time to time

    I've proven once again that anything over 44.5" or even 44.25" is a horrible fit for my tee game

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file