GIVEAWAY: Vokey SM8 60* Wedge- ENTER HERE, PING Heppler Anser 2 Putter- ENTER HERE.

Blade users thread (NO DEBATING CLUBHEADS! NO Buy Sell Trade!)

Comments

• Bogey2BirdieBogey2Birdie West Palm BeachMembers  54WRX Points: 44Handicap: 5Posts: 54 Bunkers

On -, @NixLix26 said:

On -, @Bogey2Birdie said:

Yonex

I must know what number model putter that is. I don’t think I’ve seen a longneck X model

Its a Red X 5 its very accurate, someone said to me once it won a Scotty putter accuracy contest of all SC putters, due to the fact this model had a stiffer shaft, not sure if that's correct.
    My Yonex MB iron ferrule's color looks modern and go w blue Lamkin utx grips. The iron's flight shots, to back up the look too;) Its been my set for 4+ years now... I am very familiar with each club. My game has grown sticking with a good set.

Posted:
    Post edited by Bogey2Birdie on

Mizuno ST-190 9.5 / AD-VR 7x 46'
    TEE CB Pro f2 15 / Fuel 70x TS 44'
    TEE CBX119 18 / UST ISA1000 Int 8x
    Yonex Ezone MB Irons DG-XP100
    Miura Wedge Series 51,55,59 DG
    SC Red X5 Putter 33.75 / Tour B xs

• GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • BigmeanBigmean Everything is Relative Members  4970WRX Points: 459Handicap: JDMPosts: 4,970 Titanium Tees

No need to totally forsake.....

I swear with this build. I am done with irons for a decade barring breakage or if the small blades need to be stripped and restarted...I really mean it. For real.....

I was on the DL myself. Cut my left hand pointer finger knuckle
    To bone. Did nothing, cause I’m an idiot. It got infected, finally was smart enough to go in when hand was swollen and not it is back to a bump on my Knuckle that I think I need drained/lanced. This has been like 3 weeks...So gripping clubs feels better but still hurts a little. Looking to maybe play the new set this weekend....

Posted:
    Ryoma Maxima 9.5*/Quadra Fire Express
    913F 15*/Tour AD MT7
    Roddio 21* hybrid/Tour AD DI75
    Miura 1957 small blades/Nippon 1150 tours
    Wilson Staff V4 tour modus 130
    Mizuno MP-14/DG300-raw finish
    Buchi 50/56. RomaRo 59
    Gold's Factory custom original flat-stick amongst a couple dozen others.
  • Kingcat990Kingcat990 European Tailored Golf Socks Members  4039WRX Points: 351Posts: 4,039 Titanium Tees

Glad to hear you're still alive BigM. Those CB57's look great.

Speaking of looking great, these popped up on my radar. Don't know why, but these speak to me. Catch/CTS, you guys ever see these lounging around the used racks in Japan? May have to snipe a set of these from the auctions. I can live with that beefier topline.

Posted:
    Wyoming Cowboys
  • lbressoudlbressoud Members  10WRX Points: 14Handicap: 8Posts: 10 Bunkers

I purchased and am currently playing my first set of blades (Titleist 712 MB). 3-pw
    I am interested in possibly making it a combo set and replacing the long irons with something a bit more forgiving.
    Does anyone have any suggestions or examples of combo sets they've used with titleist MBs?
    Im a bit concerned about gapping as i generally order all of my equipment before testing (through WRX classifieds).

Posted:
  • TigerInTheWoodsTigerInTheWoods Members  2660WRX Points: 1,672Handicap: 4Posts: 2,660 Titanium Tees

On -, @lbressoud said:

I purchased and am currently playing my first set of blades (Titleist 712 MB). 3-pw
    I am interested in possibly making it a combo set and replacing the long irons with something a bit more forgiving.
    Does anyone have any suggestions or examples of combo sets they've used with titleist MBs?
    Im a bit concerned about gapping as i generally order all of my equipment before testing (through WRX classifieds).

If you can pick up some 716 or 718 CB or TMB long irons you'll notice a bit difference in forgiveness. The CB after 714 had tungsten co-forged into the heel and toe and it makes a bit difference to off centre strikes. 716 Cb = 714 AP2 in forgiveness.

Posted:
  • No_Catchy_NicknameNo_Catchy_Nickname Kyushu,_JapanMembers  6280WRX Points: 1,536Handicap: mePosts: 6,280 Titanium Tees

On -, @Kingcat990 said:

Speaking of looking great, these popped up on my radar. Don't know why, but these speak to me. Catch/CTS, you guys ever see these lounging around the used racks in Japan? May have to snipe a set of these from the auctions. I can live with that beefier topline.

Haven't seen any for a while, but the local secondhand shop had a few sets in a couple of years back, and I gave them a whack in the net. They're a cast blade, but don't let that put you off. They felt really good to me.

Posted:
    Driver: Ping G400 Tour 65S
    4w: TaylorMade R9 stock Fujikura Motore X flex
    7w TaylorMade V-steel, Quadra Fire Express RB 6SX
    Hybrid: RomaRo iBrid 23* Attas EZ 85S
    Irons (4i-PW): Mizuno MP4 Attas 115X 4-PW (+0.5")
    Wedges: Cleveland RTX4 Forged 52* and 58*, DGS400 (both at 35.5")
    Putter: Mac Jack Nicklaus Muirfield/Taylormade TPA XVIII/Wilson 8802

Old stuff: Tons of persimmon and older irons. 

Advertisement
  • wmblake2000wmblake2000 Los AngelesMembers  6026WRX Points: 768Posts: 6,026 Titanium Tees

I played the Adams MB2 first 18 today. First impression is they are a distant second to the MP4, but look so good in the bag, all dull and kinda rusty, that they'll get a second change to wow me.

BigM, I was wondering if you were injured... Every time I use power tools I think 'don't cut your fingers off' and no sooner than I think it, my mind wanders off into a creek and I am at the whim of the power tool gods to whom I pay homage that I still have all 10.

Posted:
    Ping GMax 400 10.5 TPT 17 LKP
    Callawy Epic 5W 
    Callaway X-hot pro 3,4 h
    TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
    Mizuno MP4 4-W, c-taper lite, 105 R
    Macgregor 1025M 4-W, KBS tour v, 110 S
    Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
    Fourteen mt28v3 50, 54, 58
    Cameron Futura 5W

• Kingcat990Kingcat990 European Tailored Golf Socks Members  4039WRX Points: 351Posts: 4,039 Titanium Tees

On -, @Kingcat990 said:

Haven't seen any for a while, but the local secondhand shop had a few sets in a couple of years back, and I gave them a whack in the net. They're a cast blade, but don't let that put you off. They felt really good to me.

It doesn't put me off, but it absolutely explains its thickness throughout. I thought at first it was another hollow design, but it is a 2 piece club as they state their face is an 8620, which is a soft carbon.

Even still they demand a higher price. Is that common with Akira? Their lineup now looks very GI/SGI

Posted:
    Wyoming Cowboys
  • NRJyzrNRJyzr Minnesota, USAMembers  7364WRX Points: 1,422Handicap: 7Posts: 7,364 Titanium Tees

On -, @wrm2120 said:

Does anyone still make a set with a 50 degree PW?

I know that, in the long run, the number on the bottom isn't that big of a deal... I guess I'm just curious.

Don't think anyone has commented on this yet.

I've not seen a 50* PW among the current product lines. Most are 46* or 47* these days. I guess even blade players aren't immune to marketing by delofting.

Closest I've seen in the last 20 years, such as comes to mind at moment, are the Nike forged blades of the early 2000s, which had a 49* PW.

Posted:
    The Ever Changing Bag!

Driver:  Cobra King LTD, Aldila ProtoPype 80x, 43.5"
    3w:  Cobra King LTD, Aldila RIP Alpha 80 X, 42"
    3h:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, DGS400
    3-PW:  Mizuno MP-37, DGS300
    GW:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, DGS400
    SW:  Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS300
    Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34.25"
    Balls: in no particular order... Wilson Staff FG Tour, Duo Professional, or 50 Elite... will trot out Maxfli HT-100 or Elite 90 from time to time

Sometimes carry 1-SW Golden Ram Tour Grinds w/Dynamic S or 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, Precision 6.5
    Also sometimes swap in old school woods at top of bag, various Golden Ram, MacGregor, or Orlimar persimmons
  • Joe SJoe S Members  137WRX Points: 105Posts: 137 Fairways

On -, @NRJyzr said:

On -, @wrm2120 said:

I know that, in the long run, the number on the bottom isn't that big of a deal... I guess I'm just curious.

I've not seen a 50* PW among the current product lines. Most are 46* or 47* these days. I guess even blade players aren't immune to marketing by delofting.

Closest I've seen in the last 20 years, such as comes to mind at moment, are the Nike forged blades of the early 2000s, which had a 49* PW.

Callaway makes a 51 degree A wedge that matches the Apex MB's. It's technically not a P wedge, but if you don't mind shifting your set by one number you get a matching wedge to the set.

Posted:
  • No_Catchy_NicknameNo_Catchy_Nickname Kyushu,_JapanMembers  6280WRX Points: 1,536Handicap: mePosts: 6,280 Titanium Tees

On -, @Kingcat990 said:

On -, @Kingcat990 said:

It doesn't put me off, but it absolutely explains its thickness throughout. I thought at first it was another hollow design, but it is a 2 piece club as they state their face is an 8620, which is a soft carbon.

Even still they demand a higher price. Is that common with Akira? Their lineup now looks very GI/SGI

Akira are a boutique maker, so they are on the pricier side. At least, that from what I've seen around me.

Posted:
    Driver: Ping G400 Tour 65S
    4w: TaylorMade R9 stock Fujikura Motore X flex
    7w TaylorMade V-steel, Quadra Fire Express RB 6SX
    Hybrid: RomaRo iBrid 23* Attas EZ 85S
    Irons (4i-PW): Mizuno MP4 Attas 115X 4-PW (+0.5")
    Wedges: Cleveland RTX4 Forged 52* and 58*, DGS400 (both at 35.5")
    Putter: Mac Jack Nicklaus Muirfield/Taylormade TPA XVIII/Wilson 8802

Old stuff: Tons of persimmon and older irons. 

Advertisement
  • NRJyzrNRJyzr Minnesota, USAMembers  7364WRX Points: 1,422Handicap: 7Posts: 7,364 Titanium Tees

On -, @Joe S said:

On -, @NRJyzr said:

On -, @wrm2120 said:

Callaway makes a 51 degree A wedge that matches the Apex MB's. It's technically not a P wedge, but if you don't mind shifting your set by one number you get a matching wedge to the set.

It's about the only option these days. Get a 46/47 PW set and supplement with a 50/51 GW

Posted:
    The Ever Changing Bag!

Balls: in no particular order... Wilson Staff FG Tour, Duo Professional, or 50 Elite... will trot out Maxfli HT-100 or Elite 90 from time to time

Sometimes carry 1-SW Golden Ram Tour Grinds w/Dynamic S or 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, Precision 6.5
    Also sometimes swap in old school woods at top of bag, various Golden Ram, MacGregor, or Orlimar persimmons
  • BubbtubbsBubbtubbs Members  571WRX Points: 145Handicap: 7Posts: 571 Golden Tee

Wilson's players PW are all 48*, but I get your point - nothing over 49*

Posted:
  • orangeologyorangeology Category II Hoarder NY NJMembers  767WRX Points: 162Handicap: 14Posts: 767 Golden Tee

what 'modern' blades have less offset? i'm using Nike VR Pro, and talkin' even less offset. so maybe almost no offset at all? thanks for the insights in advance.

Posted:

Driver
    Callaway XR16 Pro TC 9º + Fujikura Six Tour Spec X

Woods/Hybrids
    Callaway Rogue TC 14.7º + Fujikura Pro Tour Spec TI 6X
    Adams Super LS Speedline TI 14º + Aldila RIP'd NV 7 TX
    Royal Collection 505V BBD Hybrid #2 18º + NS PRO 950W X

Irons
    TM TP UDI #2 18º + DG TI X100
    Nike VFP 5i, VP Forged Blades 6–P + DG TI X100
    set2: Nike VR Pro II Blades + DG TI X100 3-P

Wedges
    Scratch 8620 47º 50º 56º DG S300 / Scratch STI 60º + DG TI S400

Putters
    Scotty CLN, Edel The Brick

• BigmeanBigmean Everything is Relative Members  4970WRX Points: 459Handicap: JDMPosts: 4,970 Titanium Tees

KC, the akira can be had for a song on auctions, sometimes in 200s. I was never drawn to them but another blade you can steal that it’s always intrigued me is the BALDO MB (I want to say 12 or some number after it?). They are flyer prices but seen plenty in $300s and supposedly forged and look really clean to me. I haven’t hit baldo anything so who knows...

Akira also has the weapon to win putters from Masuda-San (Masda) If I am not mistaken(I may be). That always catches my eye....

Posted:
    Ryoma Maxima 9.5*/Quadra Fire Express
    913F 15*/Tour AD MT7
    Roddio 21* hybrid/Tour AD DI75
    Miura 1957 small blades/Nippon 1150 tours
    Wilson Staff V4 tour modus 130
    Mizuno MP-14/DG300-raw finish
    Buchi 50/56. RomaRo 59
    Gold's Factory custom original flat-stick amongst a couple dozen others.

On -, @Bigmean said:

KC, the akira can be had for a song on auctions, sometimes in 200s. I was never drawn to them but another blade you can steal that it’s always intrigued me is the BALDO MB (I want to say 12 or some number after it?). They are flyer prices but seen plenty in $300s and supposedly forged and look really clean to me. I haven’t hit baldo anything so who knows...

Akira also has the weapon to win putters from Masuda-San (Masda) If I am not mistaken(I may be). That always catches my eye....

They have quite a few of those sets. I'm also partial to the Royal Collection RC forged model from a few years back. I want to say WMblake had a set of Baldo MB's, or that might be Buchi. I can't remember. Their '14 model always was an appealing design, and fetched a fortune when they were new. In any case, I know tsuopo and liongolfer on here have both owned that series of Baldo, but never got a ton of mention. I'm interested in building an MOI set, I have everything except a set of heads I want to try with this. So I've been looking pretty hard in something that catches my eye.

Posted:
    Wyoming Cowboys

Advertisement

On -, @orangeology said:

what 'modern' blades have less offset? i'm using Nike VR Pro, and talkin' even less offset. so maybe almost no offset at all? thanks for the insights in advance.

They're 24 years old at best, but the first thing that springs to mind are the Tommy Armour 986 Tours. Legendary for their lack of offset.

The second choice would be the 1999 version of Australian Blades, that were produced the same time as the famed black dot Revolution irons. Which also have no offset.

Posted:
    The Ever Changing Bag!

• revanantrevanant Members  422WRX Points: 329Posts: 422 Greens

On -, @NRJyzr said:

On -, @orangeology said:

They're 24 years old at best, but the first thing that springs to mind are the Tommy Armour 986 Tours. Legendary for their lack of offset.

The second choice would be the 1999 version of Australian Blades, that were produced the same time as the famed black dot Revolution irons. Which also have no offset.

Technically, aren't both those iron sets older than the VR Pro? : )

Posted:

Cobra King LTD
    Cobra F8 3W
    Cobra F6 Baffler 5W
    Callaway Apex MB 4-PW (Nippon Modus 120)
    Mizuno MP-4 4-PW
    Titleist Vokey SM5 54-10 M
    Mizuno JPX 58-14
    Ping Redwood D66

On -, @revanant said:

On -, @NRJyzr said:

On -, @orangeology said:

Technically, aren't both those iron sets older than the VR Pro? : )

He didn't say they had to be newer, only less offset than the Nikes. :)

Posted:
    The Ever Changing Bag!

• orangeologyorangeology Category II Hoarder NY NJMembers  767WRX Points: 162Handicap: 14Posts: 767 Golden Tee

he actually specified a bit, if i recall correctly, by saying a word 'modern'... :)
    —pending subjectivity to the vocabulary

anything produced, saying, in recent 5 years, folks?

Posted:

Driver
    Callaway XR16 Pro TC 9º + Fujikura Six Tour Spec X

Woods/Hybrids
    Callaway Rogue TC 14.7º + Fujikura Pro Tour Spec TI 6X
    Adams Super LS Speedline TI 14º + Aldila RIP'd NV 7 TX
    Royal Collection 505V BBD Hybrid #2 18º + NS PRO 950W X

Irons
    TM TP UDI #2 18º + DG TI X100
    Nike VFP 5i, VP Forged Blades 6–P + DG TI X100
    set2: Nike VR Pro II Blades + DG TI X100 3-P

Wedges
    Scratch 8620 47º 50º 56º DG S300 / Scratch STI 60º + DG TI S400

Putters
    Scotty CLN, Edel The Brick

On -, @orangeology said:

he actually specified a bit, if i recall correctly, by saying a word 'modern'... :)

The quotes made me wonder how strictly one should apply that. ;)

The best answer I've seen are Ping Blueprints, but they develop offset in the long irons, I believe.

Posted:
    The Ever Changing Bag!

Advertisement

On -, @NRJyzr said:

On -, @orangeology said:

The best answer I've seen are Ping Blueprints, but they develop offset in the long irons, I believe.

The Blueprints are probably the best answer. I pulled up both sets of specs for curiosity--the Blueprints have less offset than the VR Pros for 5-PW, and the 4 irons are at the same offset. The first time the VR Pros have less offset is in the 3i (at .115 vs .120).

So, I guess Ping have mastered the art of both massive and miniscule offset. : )

Posted:

Cobra King LTD
    Cobra F8 3W
    Cobra F6 Baffler 5W
    Mizuno MP-4 4-PW
    Mizuno JPX 58-14
    Ping Redwood D66

The Blueprints are a total surprise, coming from Ping. I think they nailed it, based on the reactions of bladehunter, cardoustie, and the guys in the Blueprints thread.

They really do now have an iron for everybody

Just saw they have a set at one of the 2nd Swing shops in the Twin Cities. I'm have tempted to go take a look at them at some point. Maybe even take a swing or two.

Posted:
    The Ever Changing Bag!

• wmblake2000wmblake2000 Los AngelesMembers  6026WRX Points: 768Posts: 6,026 Titanium Tees

On -, @Kingcat990 said:

On -, @Bigmean said:

They have quite a few of those sets. I'm also partial to the Royal Collection RC forged model from a few years back. I want to say WMblake had a set of Baldo MB's, or that might be Buchi. I can't remember. Their '14 model always was an appealing design, and fetched a fortune when they were new. In any case, I know tsuopo and liongolfer on here have both owned that series of Baldo, but never got a ton of mention. I'm interested in building an MOI set, I have everything except a set of heads I want to try with this. So I've been looking pretty hard in something that catches my eye.

Buchi. Wish I had never sold them.

Posted:
    Callawy Epic 5W 
    Callaway X-hot pro 3,4 h
    TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
    Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
    Cameron Futura 5W

• mahoniemahonie EnglandMembers  3034WRX Points: 609Handicap: 11Posts: 3,034 Titanium Tees

On -, @revanant said:

On -, @NRJyzr said:

On -, @orangeology said:

The Blueprints are probably the best answer. I pulled up both sets of specs for curiosity--the Blueprints have less offset than the VR Pros for 5-PW, and the 4 irons are at the same offset. The first time the VR Pros have less offset is in the 3i (at .115 vs .120).

So, I guess Ping have mastered the art of both massive and miniscule offset. : )

MP4s? My internet is being slow but I can see that the 3-iron is 0.102” down to 0.075” in the PW.

Posted:
    Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Fubuki ZT Stiff
    Callaway XR Speed 3W Project X HZRDUS T800 65 Stiff
    Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 21* Hybrid Aldila RIP Stiff
    Cobra King CB/MB Flow 4-6, 7-PW C-Taper Stiff
    Wilson Staff PMP wedges 50/54/58 KBS Hi-Rev 2.0
    Radius Classic 8

On -, @mahonie said:

On -, @revanant said:

On -, @NRJyzr said:

On -, @orangeology said:

MP4s? My internet is being slow but I can see that the 3-iron is 0.102” down to 0.075” in the PW.

On -, @mahonie said:

On -, @revanant said:

On -, @NRJyzr said:

On -, @orangeology said:

I looked MP-4 specs up, and that's what I am seeing, too.

Posted:
    Callawy Epic 5W 
    Callaway X-hot pro 3,4 h
    TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
    Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
    Cameron Futura 5W

Advertisement

I have zero issue with my offset in my MP-4s, but it looks like the Blueprints have almost half as much in the mid and short irons.

Posted:

Cobra King LTD
    Cobra F8 3W
    Cobra F6 Baffler 5W
    Mizuno MP-4 4-PW
    Mizuno JPX 58-14
    Ping Redwood D66

On -, @wmblake2000 said:

On -, @Kingcat990 said:

On -, @Bigmean said:

How many times have you said that over the years?

Posted:
    Wyoming Cowboys

On -, @Kingcat990 said:

On -, @wmblake2000 said:

On -, @Kingcat990 said:

On -, @Bigmean said:

How many times have you said that over the years?

Ha. Only 764 times.

Posted:
    Callawy Epic 5W 
    Callaway X-hot pro 3,4 h
    TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
    Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
    Cameron Futura 5W

Advertisement
  • craz-ecraz-e Members  4401WRX Points: 485Handicap: 3Posts: 4,401 Titanium Tees

On -, @NRJyzr said:

The Blueprints are a total surprise, coming from Ping. I think they nailed it, based on the reactions of bladehunter, cardoustie, and the guys in the Blueprints thread.

They really do now have an iron for everybody

Just saw they have a set at one of the 2nd Swing shops in the Twin Cities. I'm have tempted to go take a look at them at some point. Maybe even take a swing or two.

I have hit the Ping's and they caught my interest for sure, I have another Ping demo day coming up and I can give them another try

Posted:
    Driver = Taylormade SIM 7* Hzrdus green 6.0
    4 wood = Titleist TS2 Even flow white 6.0
    3 iron = Titleist U500 Hzrdus smoke 6.0
    Irons = Wilson Staff FG59,  4-PW
    Wedges = Titleist Vokey SM6 52*, 56*
                  = Ping Glide 3.0 eye 2 60* 
    Putter = Scotty Cameron 2020 Special select Del Mar
    Ball = Taylormade TP5 Pix

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.