Blade users thread (NO DEBATING CLUBHEADS! NO Buy Sell Trade!)

Comments

• BubbtubbsBubbtubbs Members Posts: 476 ✭✭✭✭

Wilson's players PW are all 48*, but I get your point - nothing over 49*

• orangeologyorangeology Category II Hoarder Members Posts: 685 ✭✭✭✭✭

what 'modern' blades have less offset? i'm using Nike VR Pro, and talkin' even less offset. so maybe almost no offset at all? thanks for the insights in advance.

Callaway XR16 Pro TC 9º + Fujikura Six Tour Spec X / Nike Flex 440 + Fujikura Six Tour Spec X
    Adams Super LS Speedline TI 14º + Aldila RIP'd NV 7 TX / Callaway Rogue TC 15º + Fujikura Pro 6X
    Royal Collection 505V BBD Hybrid 18º + DG Tour Issue X100
    Taylormade TP UDI 18º + DG TI X100
    Nike Vapor Pro 3i + DG TI S300_
    Nike VR II Pro Blades + DG TI X100 3 - 9 & PW
    Scratch STI 47º 50º 56º 60º + DG Tour Issue X100/S400
    Scotty CLN
    Nike Tour RZN Platinum / Srixon Q Star Tour

• BigmeanBigmean Everything is Relative Members Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

KC, the akira can be had for a song on auctions, sometimes in 200s. I was never drawn to them but another blade you can steal that it’s always intrigued me is the BALDO MB (I want to say 12 or some number after it?). They are flyer prices but seen plenty in $300s and supposedly forged and look really clean to me. I haven’t hit baldo anything so who knows...

Akira also has the weapon to win putters from Masuda-San (Masda) If I am not mistaken(I may be). That always catches my eye....

Ryoma Maxima 9.5*/Quadra Fire Express
    913F 15*/Tour AD MT7
    Roddio 21* hybrid/Tour AD DI75
    Miura 1957 small blades/Nippon 1150 tours
    Wilson Staff V4 tour modus 130
    Mizuno MP-14/DG300-raw finish
    Buchi 50/56. RomaRo 59
    Gold's Factory custom original flat-stick amongst a couple dozen others.
  • Kingcat990Kingcat990 European Tailored Golf Socks Members Posts: 3,932 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Bigmean said:
    KC, the akira can be had for a song on auctions, sometimes in 200s. I was never drawn to them but another blade you can steal that it’s always intrigued me is the BALDO MB (I want to say 12 or some number after it?). They are flyer prices but seen plenty in $300s and supposedly forged and look really clean to me. I haven’t hit baldo anything so who knows...

Akira also has the weapon to win putters from Masuda-San (Masda) If I am not mistaken(I may be). That always catches my eye....

They have quite a few of those sets. I'm also partial to the Royal Collection RC forged model from a few years back. I want to say WMblake had a set of Baldo MB's, or that might be Buchi. I can't remember. Their '14 model always was an appealing design, and fetched a fortune when they were new. In any case, I know tsuopo and liongolfer on here have both owned that series of Baldo, but never got a ton of mention. I'm interested in building an MOI set, I have everything except a set of heads I want to try with this. So I've been looking pretty hard in something that catches my eye.

Wyoming Cowboys
  • NRJyzrNRJyzr Allez Allez Allez Minnesota, USAMembers Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 13, 2019 6:32pm #19686

@orangeology said:
    what 'modern' blades have less offset? i'm using Nike VR Pro, and talkin' even less offset. so maybe almost no offset at all? thanks for the insights in advance.

They're 24 years old at best, but the first thing that springs to mind are the Tommy Armour 986 Tours. Legendary for their lack of offset.

The second choice would be the 1999 version of Australian Blades, that were produced the same time as the famed black dot Revolution irons. Which also have no offset.

The Ever Changing Bag!

Driver: Ping Eye2, ZZ-lite shaft
    3w: Ping Eye2, ZZ-lite shaft
    2h:  TM Stage 2 Tour, Nv105 stiff -or- 1 iron: Maxfli Revolution, DGS400
    2-PW, Golden Ram Tour Grind TW282, Precision 6.5
    SW: Ram Tour Grind Feel Matched 58*, DGS -or- Ram TG-898 56*, DGS
    Putter: Cleveland Huntington Beach #1 35"
    Balls: in no particular order... Wilson Staff FG Tour, Duo Urethane/Professional, or 50 Elite, Srixon ZStar/ZStar XV, Snell MTB Black... will trot out Maxfli HT-100 or Elite 90 from time to time

I've proven once again that anything over 44.5" or even 44.25" is a horrible fit for my tee game
  • revanantrevanant Members Posts: 295 ✭✭✭✭

@NRJyzr said:

@orangeology said:

They're 24 years old at best, but the first thing that springs to mind are the Tommy Armour 986 Tours. Legendary for their lack of offset.

The second choice would be the 1999 version of Australian Blades, that were produced the same time as the famed black dot Revolution irons. Which also have no offset.

Technically, aren't both those iron sets older than the VR Pro? : )

Cobra King LTD
    Cobra F8 3W
    Cobra F6 Baffler 5W
    Mizuno MP-4 w/ Project X 6.0
    Titleist Vokey SM5 54-10 M
    Mizuno JPX 58-14
    Ping Redwood D66

@revanant said:

@NRJyzr said:

@orangeology said:

Technically, aren't both those iron sets older than the VR Pro? : )

He didn't say they had to be newer, only less offset than the Nikes. :)

The Ever Changing Bag!

Balls: in no particular order... Wilson Staff FG Tour, Duo Urethane/Professional, or 50 Elite, Srixon ZStar/ZStar XV, Snell MTB Black... will trot out Maxfli HT-100 or Elite 90 from time to time

I've proven once again that anything over 44.5" or even 44.25" is a horrible fit for my tee game
  • orangeologyorangeology Category II Hoarder Members Posts: 685 ✭✭✭✭✭

he actually specified a bit, if i recall correctly, by saying a word 'modern'... :)
    —pending subjectivity to the vocabulary

anything produced, saying, in recent 5 years, folks?

Callaway XR16 Pro TC 9º + Fujikura Six Tour Spec X / Nike Flex 440 + Fujikura Six Tour Spec X
    Adams Super LS Speedline TI 14º + Aldila RIP'd NV 7 TX / Callaway Rogue TC 15º + Fujikura Pro 6X
    Royal Collection 505V BBD Hybrid 18º + DG Tour Issue X100
    Taylormade TP UDI 18º + DG TI X100
    Nike Vapor Pro 3i + DG TI S300_
    Nike VR II Pro Blades + DG TI X100 3 - 9 & PW
    Scratch STI 47º 50º 56º 60º + DG Tour Issue X100/S400
    Scotty CLN
    Nike Tour RZN Platinum / Srixon Q Star Tour

@orangeology said:

he actually specified a bit, if i recall correctly, by saying a word 'modern'... :)

The quotes made me wonder how strictly one should apply that. ;)

The best answer I've seen are Ping Blueprints, but they develop offset in the long irons, I believe.

The Ever Changing Bag!

@NRJyzr said:

@orangeology said:

The best answer I've seen are Ping Blueprints, but they develop offset in the long irons, I believe.

The Blueprints are probably the best answer. I pulled up both sets of specs for curiosity--the Blueprints have less offset than the VR Pros for 5-PW, and the 4 irons are at the same offset. The first time the VR Pros have less offset is in the 3i (at .115 vs .120).

So, I guess Ping have mastered the art of both massive and miniscule offset. : )

Cobra King LTD
    Cobra F8 3W
    Cobra F6 Baffler 5W
    Mizuno JPX 58-14
    Ping Redwood D66

edited Aug 13, 2019 8:27pm #19692

The Blueprints are a total surprise, coming from Ping. I think they nailed it, based on the reactions of bladehunter, cardoustie, and the guys in the Blueprints thread.

They really do now have an iron for everybody

Just saw they have a set at one of the 2nd Swing shops in the Twin Cities. I'm have tempted to go take a look at them at some point. Maybe even take a swing or two.

The Ever Changing Bag!

• wmblake2000wmblake2000 Los AngelesMembers Posts: 5,908 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Kingcat990 said:

@Bigmean said:

They have quite a few of those sets. I'm also partial to the Royal Collection RC forged model from a few years back. I want to say WMblake had a set of Baldo MB's, or that might be Buchi. I can't remember. Their '14 model always was an appealing design, and fetched a fortune when they were new. In any case, I know tsuopo and liongolfer on here have both owned that series of Baldo, but never got a ton of mention. I'm interested in building an MOI set, I have everything except a set of heads I want to try with this. So I've been looking pretty hard in something that catches my eye.

Buchi. Wish I had never sold them.

Ping GMax 400 10.5 TPT 17 LKP
    Callawy Epic 5W 
    Callaway X-hot pro 3,4 h
    Mizuno MP4 4-W, KBS tour-v, 110 S
    Mizuno MP-64 4-W, c-taper lite, 105 R
    Fourteen mt28v3 50, 54, 58
    Cameron Futura 5W

• mahoniemahonie EnglandMembers Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 13, 2019 10:02pm #19694

@revanant said:

@NRJyzr said:

@orangeology said:

The Blueprints are probably the best answer. I pulled up both sets of specs for curiosity--the Blueprints have less offset than the VR Pros for 5-PW, and the 4 irons are at the same offset. The first time the VR Pros have less offset is in the 3i (at .115 vs .120).

So, I guess Ping have mastered the art of both massive and miniscule offset. : )

MP4s? My internet is being slow but I can see that the 3-iron is 0.102” down to 0.075” in the PW.

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Fubuki ZT Stiff
    MD Golf Superstrong 3-wood UST Proforce 65 Stiff
    Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 21* Hybrid Aldila RIP Stiff
    Mizuno MP4 4-PW DG S300
    Wilson Staff PMP wedges 50/54/58 KBS Hi-Rev 2.0
    Radius Classic 8

@mahonie said:

@revanant said:

@NRJyzr said:

@orangeology said:

MP4s? My internet is being slow but I can see that the 3-iron is 0.102” down to 0.075” in the PW.

@mahonie said:

@revanant said:

@NRJyzr said:

@orangeology said:

I looked MP-4 specs up, and that's what I am seeing, too.

Callawy Epic 5W 
    Callaway X-hot pro 3,4 h
    Cameron Futura 5W

I have zero issue with my offset in my MP-4s, but it looks like the Blueprints have almost half as much in the mid and short irons.

Cobra King LTD
    Cobra F8 3W
    Cobra F6 Baffler 5W
    Mizuno JPX 58-14
    Ping Redwood D66

• Kingcat990Kingcat990 European Tailored Golf Socks Members Posts: 3,932 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@wmblake2000 said:

@Kingcat990 said:

@Bigmean said:

How many times have you said that over the years?

Wyoming Cowboys

@Kingcat990 said:

@wmblake2000 said:

@Kingcat990 said:

@Bigmean said:

How many times have you said that over the years?

Ha. Only 764 times.

Callawy Epic 5W 
    Callaway X-hot pro 3,4 h
    Cameron Futura 5W

• craz-ecraz-e Members Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@NRJyzr said:
    The Blueprints are a total surprise, coming from Ping. I think they nailed it, based on the reactions of bladehunter, cardoustie, and the guys in the Blueprints thread.

They really do now have an iron for everybody

Just saw they have a set at one of the 2nd Swing shops in the Twin Cities. I'm have tempted to go take a look at them at some point. Maybe even take a swing or two.

I have hit the Ping's and they caught my interest for sure, I have another Ping demo day coming up and I can give them another try

Driver = Ping G410 Plus even flow black 6.0
    3 wood = Ping G410 Tour S
    Irons = Miura 1957 Baby Blades Project X LZ 6.0 (4-PW)
    Wilson Staff FG59 DG S300's (4-PW)
    Titleist 718 MB Project X LZ 6.0 (4-PW)
    Wedges = Titleist Vokey SM6 52*, 56* and 60*

Putter = Wilson Staff 8882
    Ball = Titleist AVX
  • No_Catchy_NicknameNo_Catchy_Nickname Kyushu,_JapanMembers Posts: 5,471 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Bigmean said:

Baldo MB-11 Prototypes? I have a set...
    Akira/Masda Weapon to win putter? I have one...

The putter is a heel-shafted half mallet. Nice, but the lie is a little flat for me.

Driver: Ping G400 Tour 65S
    4w: TaylorMade R9 stock Fujikura Motore X flex
    7w TaylorMade V-steel, Quadra Fire Express RB 6SX
    Hybrid: RomaRo iBrid 23* Attas EZ 85S
    Irons (4i-PW): Wilson fg-62 S300 4/5-PW or MP4 Yoro Modus 125X 5-PW
    Wedges: Callaway MD2 T-grind combination of 52*, 56*, 58*, 60*
    Putter: Mac Jack Nicklaus Muirfield

Old stuff: Tons of persimmon and older irons. 
    edited Aug 14, 2019 2:21am #19701

@No_Catchy_Nickname said:

@Bigmean said:

The putter is a heel-shafted half mallet. Nice, but the lie is a little flat for me.

You sir, are an apex hooore of awesome.

Wyoming Cowboys
  • Bogey2BirdieBogey2Birdie West Palm BeachMembers Posts: 41 ✭✭

@orangeology said:

I went from Hogan apex 1999 blades to Yonex Ezone MB and noticed less offset... & little higher CG

Mizuno ST-190 9.5 / AD I-Z 8x
    TEE CB Pro f2 15 / Fuel 70x TS
    TEE CB Pro f2 18 / 757 Evo x
    Yonex Ezone MB Irons DGX100
    Miura Wedge Series 51,55,59 DG
    SC Red X5 Putter 33.75 / Tour B xs

@revanant said:
    I have zero issue with my offset in my MP-4s, but it looks like the Blueprints have almost half as much in the mid and short irons.

Due to slow internet, I didn’t get to do a side-by-side comparison between the MP4s and Blueprints until now. Even though the MP4s have very little offset, the Blueprints practically have only a smidgen. Interesting that the MP4s have the same offset from 3 through 6-iron whereas the Blueprints are progressive through the set. I wonder what the thinking is behind that.

Mizuno MP4 4-PW DG S300
    Radius Classic 8
  • No_Catchy_NicknameNo_Catchy_Nickname Kyushu,_JapanMembers Posts: 5,471 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Kingcat990 said:

@Bigmean said:

You sir, are an apex hooore of awesome.

Thank you.
    I do what I can.

• Nard_SNard_S Members Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

The real interesting thing about where Ping is headed is they designed their clubs so they can custom weight them to desire via their goo port. The Blueprints are solid blades (from what limited hitting done) and the fact I can specify weighting to desire along with other things, makes them real attractive to me.

Btw took the VR Pro's out for a more intense range session, they are really good.

• ChemistChemist Members Posts: 9 ✭✭

I currently have the following blades in my collection:
    2001 Maxfli Australian Blades - not forged, but very pretty and quite usuable
    Mizuno MP33 - my favorite Mizuno blades
    Mizuno MS-1
    Mizuno TP-9
    Macgregor V-Foil 1025M
    Mizuno TP-21 Prototype - these popped up on Facebook (I kid you not) in a golf group I am a member of, young guy in Southampton, UK selling them. He's a bit of an ebay wheeler dealer and I had traded stuff with him before and advised him on some rarer and/or more vintage clubs or gear he had managed to acquire from contacts in the game. He sent me a pic of these Mizuno's asking if I knew anything about them, he said the guy who sold them to him claimed they were a prototype given to a Mizuno Staff player back in the 90's. As soon as I saw them, I wanted them, 1-PW in very decent condition with Brunswick Rifle stepless 5.5 shafts on them. Did the deal but I've never been able to find anything much about them, I use them maybe once a year.

WITB?
    Well, today.....
    Driver: Taylormade 2016 M2 9.5° Diamana Ahina Ion 60S
    Fairway: Callaway X2Hot Pro 5 Deep 18.5° Aldila ATX Tour Green 65S
    Irons: Nike Covert 3-PW KBS C-Taper 125 S+
    Wedges: Nike Covert AW & SW, KBS C-Taper 125 S+, Nike Engage 58° True Temper Dynamic Gold S400
    Putter: Cleveland Classic 2
    Ball: Dunlop DP1-3V
    If you can't enjoy the game with borrowed clubs, you need to find another game

• NixLix26NixLix26 Members Posts: 342 ✭✭✭✭

Chemist. Those are beautiful.

CURRENT BAG SETUP
    George Izett - Model 129
    SRIXON  - H45  16*
    CLEVELAND - TA3'S form forged   3-PW
    CLEVELAND - 588 CHROME - 53*
    TITLEIST - SM6  58*
    COBRA - 88 Model

[/size]

https://www.instagram.com/nixlix26/

@Nard_S said:
    The real interesting thing about where Ping is headed is they designed their clubs so they can custom weight them to desire via their goo port. The Blueprints are solid blades (from what limited hitting done) and the fact I can specify weighting to desire along with other things, makes them real attractive to me.

Btw took the VR Pro's out for a more intense range session, they are really good.

That’s an interesting thought. From my experience with my Mac VIP Limited’s, which feel really heavy to swing but give me good dispersion, testing different swingweights with the same club could be very beneficial.

Mizuno MP4 4-PW DG S300
    Radius Classic 8
  • Nard_SNard_S Members Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@mahonie said:

@Nard_S said:

That’s an interesting thought. From my experience with my Mac VIP Limited’s, which feel really heavy to swing but give me good dispersion, testing different swingweights with the same club could be very beneficial.

Basically my next phase of hoedom is to do experiments with weighting and shaft profiles. Dowels, plugs head and handle side. My frustration with going rogue and buying sets is I can't feel them. They might be set "right" but who knows? You buy Miura you probably get solid numbers and specs, you buy old Macs, Mizuno's or maybe even Hogan's you might get lighter sided heads or you get more tour weighted variety. And with new gear it's the same. TW P7 irons are not Tiger weighted, certainly not like the T stamp was. So what Ping can do here is make a set C9 w/ graphite or D5 with X100's or any combo in-between. And do it with a forged blades no less. Pretty cool

• BigmeanBigmean Everything is Relative Members Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Bigmean said:

Yeah, the mb11 proto (I was trying to update it I guess).

Yessir. What is the deal on them, just another blade, nothing to write home about? I always liked the clean look on them on photos.....

Ryoma Maxima 9.5*/Quadra Fire Express
    913F 15*/Tour AD MT7
    Roddio 21* hybrid/Tour AD DI75
    Miura 1957 small blades/Nippon 1150 tours
    Wilson Staff V4 tour modus 130
    Mizuno MP-14/DG300-raw finish
    Buchi 50/56. RomaRo 59
    Gold's Factory custom original flat-stick amongst a couple dozen others.

@Bigmean said:

@Bigmean said:

Yeah, the mb11 proto (I was trying to update it I guess).

Yessir. What is the deal on them, just another blade, nothing to write home about? I always liked the clean look on them on photos.....

I got them fairly soon before I knackered my back in, so I haven't hit them much. They are shafted with Modus 120S, which I didn't like before but might like after I get back into the game with a slower swing speed. When I did hit them at the range, I liked their feel (not overly soft and pretty solid) and liked them at address. They have a bit of offset, probably enough to put the "no offset" crowd off. I bought them to flip, to be honest, and I do intend to put them up for auction. I've seen sets in worse condition -- and without the 3i --- go for between 45,000 and 50,000 yen, so I've got high hopes for my set.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file