It's time to go to the Senior tees

Tanner25

I am only 56. But, clearly I lost my distance over the last few years. I believe a bad back has made the situation worse. I reviewed my favorite courses from the Sr tees and I was thinking it would actually put irons back in my hands for a second shot. Part of this makes me sad. But, I am also looking to have fun again on the golf course. Anyone else gone through this? Did you wish you did this sooner?

Tanner

[quote name='Tanner25' timestamp='1431294569' post='11533526']
I am only 56. But, clearly I lost my distance over the last few years. I believe a bad back has made the situation worse. I reviewed my favoriite courses from the Sr tees and I was thinking it would actually put irons back in my hands for a second shot. Part of this makes me sad. But, I am also looking to have fun again on the golf course. Anyone else gone through this? Did you wish you did this sooner?

Tanner
[/quote]

I agree, play from the tees that make it fun for you!

• Like 1
I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

I'm not that far away, for me it's knees not back.

Still playing whites, but in Florida on vacation this year the guy we matched up with wanted to play blue, 6450.

I agreed, didn't hit an iron into a green until the 14th hole, still shot 82 and beat the Blue guy by about 6 shots.

I used to hit a drive 240-260, today it's 210 to 230, makes even a 6100 yard course feel pretty long.

• Like 1

Big Bertha Alpha 815 Speeder 565 R or TMAG SIM max Riptide R shaft
XHot Callaway 3w
19, 23 & 26 X2Hot Callaway
5 to Gap Apex DCB Recoil Dart F3
Scotty Kombi
52/11 Cleveland CBX 56 Tmag ATV

[quote name='kevcarter' timestamp='1431296932' post='11533806']
I am only 56. But, clearly I lost my distance over the last few years. I believe a bad back has made the situation worse. I reviewed my favoriite courses from the Sr tees and I was thinking it would actually put irons back in my hands for a second shot. Part of this makes me sad. But, I am also looking to have fun again on the golf course. Anyone else gone through this? Did you wish you did this sooner?

Tanner
[/quote]

[/quote]

Thanks, Kev!

[quote name='Tanner25' timestamp='1431302528' post='11534542']

Tanner
[/quote]

[/quote]

Thanks, Kev!
[/quote]

I haven't been able to play for 6 years, but I guarantee when I come back from my two new hips, upcoming new left knee, and back surgery, I'll join you on the senior tees!!!

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

[quote name='kevcarter' timestamp='1431302749' post='11534582']

Tanner
[/quote]

[/quote]

Thanks, Kev!
[/quote]

I haven't been able to play for 6 years, but I guarantee when I come back from my two new hips, upcoming new left knee, and back surgery, I'll join you on the senior tees!!!
[/quote]

Sounds, good. Good Luck, in your recovery!

I'm right on the edge of playing the middle tees or playing the forward tees at 68 years old. When I have to hit driver, fwy wood, fwy wood to a long par 5 that will definitely be the breaking point. That is, if the shots are all well struck. I've done that trick when playing poorly.

The forward tees are in my thoughts every time I pull out a wood for the second shot on a par 4...even if it is the 9 wood.

> Callaway GBB driver (set D, -1, 9.5°) w/Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50, R-flex, 45.5"
> GBB 5 wood w/Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50, R-flex (set D, -1, 17°), 42.5"
> XR 7 wood (21°), 9 wood (23°) w/OEM Project X LZ, R-flex
> Callaway XR 4-LW w/ Recoil 660, F3, +.5", 2° up
> Golf Pride CP2 Wrap grips (blue)
> Odyssey White Ice Mini-T putter 35"
> Pinnacle Gold or Wilson 50 Elite

I hate the term, mens, women's, senior tees etc. I think it discourages people from playing from the proper tees that match their driving distance and inhibits their enjoyment.

Even though distance isn't my issue YET, I'll play forward on a hard course especially early in the season.

As others have said play the tees that keep it fun so you keep coming back.

Tanner play the tees you'll have the most fun with, always.

With that said, my best golf bud turned 62 and over the last few years he's lost 30 yards off the tee. In the off season he went through a great self assessment of every aspect of his game.

He started working out more and stretching which allowed him to make a much bigger turn. He went and was fit for shafts that best matched up with his speed and how he loaded the shaft. He picked a club head that was more forgiving.

We've played 5 rounds together this year and he's easily picked up 25 yards and rarely loses distance on off center shots. He also moved up a box and is the happiest on the golf course in the last 5 years and having more fun.

If you have the time and money you might consider a fitting, if you haven't done it. Seriously makes a difference.

The best to you.

[quote name='farmer' timestamp='1431304347' post='11534792']
I'm nearly 65, had 4 discs fused in my neck in Dec. Started playing a little in March, but I've got nothing. Wearing out my hybrids on approaches. Shorter is where I need to be.
[/quote]

Exactly, Farmer! I played from the Sr tees yesterday. After playing the my favorite course for 18 yrs, it was nice to have a shot at the green on the longer holes.

[quote name='DavePelz4' timestamp='1431304960' post='11534858']

With that said, my best golf bud turned 62 and over the last few years he's lost 30 yards off the tee. In the off season he went through a great self assessment of every aspect of his game.

He started working out more and stretching which allowed him to make a much bigger turn. He went and was fit for shafts that best matched up with his speed and how he loaded the shaft. He picked a club head that was more forgiving.

We've played 5 rounds together this year and he's easily picked up 25 yards and rarely loses distance on off center shots. He also moved up a box and is the happiest on the golf course in the last 5 years and having more fun.

If you have the time and money you might consider a fitting, if you haven't done it. Seriously makes a difference.

The best to you.
[/quote]

Thanks, Dave. Good suggestions. Especially, working out. It's only going to get tougher to add distance as we age.

I'll be 74 this week. I moved up to the Red tees last month, played well using all of my clubs. It gave me a shot of confidence, so much so I started to put an even better swing on the ball, gaining distance/accuracy with every club in the bag. So I've gone back to the Whites, or a mixture of White/Red tees (especially when a solid tee shot from the Reds would leave me with a wedge/9-iron). I'm scoring much better off the longer tees as well now, lots of GIRs.

I'm really encouraged. Putting needs work to turn those routine 2-putt pars into the occasional birdie.

I'm [quote name='Tanner25' timestamp='1431294569' post='11533526']

Tanner
[/quote]

Pards!...........play what ever tee makes the game fun for you. My association allows players 60 and over to play the front tees. There are few younger guys with physical problems on the front tees as well. Nobody has a problem with it.

[quote name='kevcarter' timestamp='1431302749' post='11534582']

Tanner
[/quote]

[/quote]

Thanks, Kev!
[/quote]

[/quote]

When you come from your injuries Kev, they're going give you a TV Show. These days, it won't be the $6 Million Dollar Man, it'll be the $20 Million Dollar Man!

my home course has a short front 9--2256/2557/2779yds--and the back 9 is 2870/3219/3524yds depending on what tees you choose...

i normally combine 2 nines which would give me a total anywhere from 5500-6000 yards and sometimes longer when the fairways are fast...

.....i play at less than 5000 yds once in a while when practicing my short shots....

the course is ideal for seniors like me--am 69--as you can mix and match!!

Giga XF0710* driver/Hirohonma twin marks 355 10.5* driver
TEE XCG5 16.5* 4W, Giga XF-11 17* 4W
Daiwa New Super Lady 21* 7W
Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
Giga U3 21* hybrid
Tourstage Viq U5 25* hybrid
Adams V4 6H/7H
Adams V4 forged irons 8-PW,GW,SW,LW
HEAVY PUTTER mid-weight K4 putter
Sun Mountain H2N0 stand bag
Wilson Harmonized 55*/60*wedges
Cleveland 588 56/60

The course I play most can be 5800-7100 yds. Two buddies and I started just playing the distance on each hole that is competitive for all of us. So we may play a 500 yd par 5 instead of 440yds. But we play a 350 yd par4 instead of 420. Lots of ways to play. Remember we are not pros, nothing depends on what we shoot and the MAIN objective is to play and enjoy yourself and friends.
We watched some folks the other day play from the 'tips.' These guys had as much business there as I do trying to be an astronaut. To each his own but I never understood why you would want to beat up on yourself just to prove what? You can break a 100 from the 'tips.'
The real 'hangup' for most is the pride issue. To heck with it go play, have fun and challenge yourself realistically.
Good Luck.

I'm under 40 and often play what are considered the "senior" tees - 5,800-6,100 yard range is what I prefer. The majority of my drives are 225 yards or less and it just makes for a more enjoyable round if I can be hitting irons into greens on par 3's and par 4's instead of a 3 or 5 wood...a chance to hit a more precise shot rather than just blasting away with the fairway wood over and over. I occasionally get some comments from other people about why a guy my age is playing the "geezer" tees, but I couldn't care less about what other people think, it's my game.

• Like 1

[quote name='cherokee8215' timestamp='1431342066' post='11536646']
I'm under 40 and often play what are considered the "senior" tees - 5,800-6,100 yard range is what I prefer. The majority of my drives are 225 yards or less and it just makes for a more enjoyable round if I can be hitting irons into greens on par 3's and par 4's instead of a 3 or 5 wood...a chance to hit a more precise shot rather than just blasting away with the fairway wood over and over. I occasionally get some comments from other people about why a guy my age is playing the "geezer" tees, but I couldn't care less about what other people think, it's my game.
[/quote]

Well said, cherokee8215. I have been there on shot two, "just blasting away all day with woods" especially on the 6,300 yard course. It hardly feels like you are playing golf. Tanner

I've been able to hit my drives pretty long, but this year pretty long for me is averaging about 250 on a good day, at 64 years old. Next year I will be able to play the senior tees. I've said the past few years that I don't think I will play them because I drive pretty decently, but now that I'm losing some distance, I'm beginning to listen to a senior in our league who simply tells me "When you're a senior, play them, you've earned it"... Ok, I like that :)

No idea what your back injury is but when my mine got so bad I couldn't get out of a car I went to a Chiropractor. He promised me more distance after adjustment and I'm almost back to where I was in my thirties distance wise and much straighter. I can't believe the difference it has made. The only bummer for me is he told me no more driving range due to an old knee injury that is flaring up from over use but I was never a range rat anyway. I was on the verge of moving up before getting help and play with older guys who have been moving up in the last couple of years so my day is coming but I'm okay with that.

My uncle is in his mid 50s and plays the "senior" tees. He hits his driver about 220 or so, so playing from 6000+ yards means he's hitting 4i -3w into most greens, and just doesn't have fun doing it. I talked him into moving up a few years ago. There is no reason to punish yourself on the golf course. There's also no such thing, in my mind, as "ladies tees", "senior tees", "men's tees" and "pro tees". There are set course lengths for each tee marker, and you should play from the set that gives you the best opportunity to score and use most clubs from your bag based on the distance you hit the ball.

Hell, I'm 34 and hit the ball a long way, but occasionally I will move up with him and hit irons only.

[quote name='DavePelz4' timestamp='1431304960' post='11534858']

The best to you.
[/quote] Have to agree with you on the loss of distance with age. In the last couple of years I went through a fitting and changed shaft weights dramatically from what they were in my irons. On some courses I play senior tees and some I don't. It also depends on the weather and course conditions. But in a nutshell I say to anyone play where you can have the most fun

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

I turned 60 last month. I moved to the senior tees 3 weeks earlier to practice for when I turned 60 :cheesy:

I play with a few guys that drive par 4's from the tips, hit driver/5 iron to par 5's from the tips, hit driver/pitch all day long and then brag about the scores. Really?

So I figure if they can play driver /pitch all day long, then why am I suffering with driver/mid irons and never get to a par 5 in 2. SO I moved forward and now [size=5][b]I [/b][size=4]can drive some par 4's and reach some par 5's in 2. I can hit a no so great tee shot and still hit the green in regulation and I'm putting for birdies and pars, not bogey's and doubles.[/size][/size]

[size=5][size=4]Yep, I catch some poop from some of the guys. But I see a lot them suffering all day long playing tees that are too long to have fun. I have NO problem moving forward and playing a totally different game then "suffer fest". [/size][/size]

[size=5][size=4]If you can't reach 80% of the par 4 150 markers, then you need to move up!![/size][/size]

[quote name='Pingfitz' timestamp='1431471259' post='11548038']
I have been playing forward for three years, more fun as posted, local course plays ~ 5800 yds. Plenty of course for me.

Play shorter= more pars, birdies and fun.
[/quote]

Thanks, Pingfitz. I appreciate the support and now I see I have something to look forward to. In my last round, during the last three holes, it was pouring rain. So, I was able to get my son to join me on the red tees - just to get into the club house as soon as possible. He said, Dad, this is fun!!

I am all over the map on this. I score so much better at 6000 than 6500. Beyond that I am toast. But I am mainly still playing 6500. Pizzes me off that I can't score from this distance. Feels like cheating to move up. I know that's silly, but that's the feeling I can't shake.

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD ADDI 5
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD ADDI 5

Callaway X-hot pro 3, 4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

Tanner
[/quote]

Regardless of what age you are, the smart play is always to tee off where the majority of the hazards are in play. Golf just isn't a lot of fun if there are no problems to overcome. Teeing off where the majority of the hazards is in play also lets you more closely see if the course architect had any kind of ideas in his head or was just spreading whatever on the grounds and pretending to be a golf course designer.

Shambles

[quote name='Shambles' timestamp='1431483926' post='11549514']

Tanner
[/quote]

Regardless of what age you are, the smart play is always to tee off where the majority of the hazards are in play. Golf just isn't a lot of fun if there are no problems to overcome. Teeing off where the majority of the hazards is in play also lets you more closely see if the course architect had any kind of ideas in his head or was just spreading whatever on the grounds and pretending to be a golf course designer.

Shambles
[/quote]

.....this is too much analysis for me!

i just tee off from the tee markers i like and take it from there....and enjoy!

Giga XF0710* driver/Hirohonma twin marks 355 10.5* driver
TEE XCG5 16.5* 4W, Giga XF-11 17* 4W
Daiwa New Super Lady 21* 7W
Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
Giga U3 21* hybrid
Tourstage Viq U5 25* hybrid
Adams V4 6H/7H
Adams V4 forged irons 8-PW,GW,SW,LW
HEAVY PUTTER mid-weight K4 putter
Sun Mountain H2N0 stand bag
Wilson Harmonized 55*/60*wedges
Cleveland 588 56/60