Best ball mark repair tool

Comments

• 2putttom2putttom # 1 Oregon Duck fan Members Posts: 10,096 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Guess it’s typical of GolfWRX that a bunch of guys with $1,500 putters and $400 driver shafts would have a 6-page thread on how to spend a hundred bucks or so on a ball mark repair tool that weighs as much as a large cell phone.

I’m too cheap to carry anything that I’d care about if it dropped out of my pocket. So cheap, in fact, that I’d use a tee if it actually worked welll and if one couldn’t get perfectly fine plastic two-prong tools either free or for a few cents.
    image/cheesy.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':cheesy:' /> ain't that the truth...and don't forget score card holders....
    Tour Exotics E 10 15*
    Srixon 785's w/G P MCC plus 4
    Mizuno T 7 52 MP T7 56 &60
    Bobby Grace SNYPER  46"
    Oregon Ducks Bag
  • North ButteNorth Butte Members Posts: 10,963 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    2putttom wrote:

Guess it’s typical of GolfWRX that a bunch of guys with $1,500 putters and $400 driver shafts would have a 6-page thread on how to spend a hundred bucks or so on a ball mark repair tool that weighs as much as a large cell phone.

I’m too cheap to carry anything that I’d care about if it dropped out of my pocket. So cheap, in fact, that I’d use a tee if it actually worked welll and if one couldn’t get perfectly fine plastic two-prong tools either free or for a few cents.
    image/cheesy.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':cheesy:' /> ain't that the truth...and don't forget score card holders....
    “1lb beefstak, with
    1pt bitter beer
    every 6 hours.
    1 ten-mile walk every morning.
    1 bed at 11 sharp every night.
    And don't stuff your head with things you don't understand.” 

2putttom wrote:

OMG yes.

I remember I bought a leather one from my home course to give to a friend as a gift. It was like $16.95 and that seem like a real splurge at the time. Then I joined this forum!
    “1lb beefstak, with
    1pt bitter beer
    every 6 hours.
  • fjkfjk Putt Putt Members Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    groach wrote:

Having used both a tee (one prong), and several types of tools with two prongs, I can't imagine how anyone can think a one prong is better? Tees are especially frustrating to get into the ground if its hard, they are not very ergonomic in my hand, and they take out a bigger hole to make a repair to begin with. I will always use a two prong tool going forward.

Single prong tools are ergonomic and it should be harder to get two prongs into hard ground than one...

My pitch pro single prong makes a far more gentle repair than my pitch fix two prong. Those two prongs are way bigger than the one on my pitch pro.
  • playaplaya Members Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Dec 30, 2017 #186

Yeah most have two prongs and a handle. They all get the job done, I go for the cheapest metal tools I can find as our greens are hard and I have broken prongs off plastic tools.

I also routinely repair 5-10 pitch marks on each green so the harder and sharper metal prongs are faster and easier on the hands and fingers.
  • Sh00terMcgavinSh00terMcgavin Members Posts: 297 ✭✭✭✭
    Another vote for the Cameron tool. Cheap enough where if you lose it its not a big deal.

Used to do the tee thing but would break every now and again depending on how hard the greens were.
    Ping G400 Accra TZ6 M5
    TEE EX10 Beta but searching
    Callaway Apex UT 21*
    Mizuno MP5
    Vokey
    Spider

Tp5x
  • hybrid25hybrid25 michiganMembers Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Another vote for the Cameron tool. Cheap enough where if you lose it its not a big deal.

Used to do the tee thing but would break every now and again depending on how hard the greens were.

How is this tool easier to use than typical 2 prong tool?
  • TheInfidelTheInfidel Gotta let the Big Dog eat.... Members Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    This is my all time favourite tool, but sadly it broke recently and I haven't been able to replace it. It was a Kingsbarns Golf Design Belt Clip tool and I don't believe they stock it any longer. Plus I've been unable to track one down at other club or vendor. A real shame.....

Ping G400 9* Project X Hzrdus Black 6.5 (+16g head weight)
    Tour Edge Exotics CB3 Tour 18*, True Temper Bi Matrix RXi X 
    Adams Idea A7 22* UST V2 Hybrid X +0.5'
    Mizuno JPX 900 Forged, Project X LZ 6.5 +0.5' 4-PW
    Mizuno S18 50* Project X LZ 6.0 +0.5'
    Nike Engage Raw 54* S400 +0.5'
    Nike Engage Raw 58* S400 +0.5'
    Odyssey Dual Force 990 

hybrid25 wrote:

Just as easy to use as a standard 2 prong tool. I just like the leverage it gives you. As long as you know how to use the tool the correct way of course.
    Ping G400 Accra TZ6 M5
    Callaway Apex UT 21*
    Mizuno MP5
    Vokey
    Spider

Tp5x

hybrid25 wrote:

Just as easy to use as a standard 2 prong tool. I just like the leverage it gives you. As long as you know how to use the tool the correct way of course.
    The issue I have with the Cameron repair tool is that it appears like it promotes a lifting of the grass instead of a shifting it inward. The pivot Point looks just that, like a pivot point to lift the grass up which of course is the wrong way to repair a ball mark.
    hybrid25 wrote:

hybrid25 wrote:

The issue I have with the Cameron repair tool is that it appears like it promotes a lifting of the grass instead of a shifting it inward. The pivot Point looks just that, like a pivot point to lift the grass up which of course is the wrong way to repair a ball mark.

Yeah, it looks like you could almost use it to pry stubborn tees out of the ground when they get stuck with the head mashed down into the turf.
    “1lb beefstak, with
    1pt bitter beer
    every 6 hours.

hybrid25 wrote:

hybrid25 wrote:

Yeah, it looks like you could almost use it to pry stubborn tees out of the ground when they get stuck with the head mashed down into the turf.
    yes it does doesn't it? The same prying action that would most likely destroy a ball mark area.
    hybrid25 wrote:

hybrid25 wrote:

yes it does doesn't it? The same prying action that would most likely destroy a ball mark area.

You know how people sometimes refer to a ball mark tool as a "divot tool"? Those pivot things are truly a "divot tool", they are used to turn a ball mark into a divot!
    “1lb beefstak, with
    1pt bitter beer
    every 6 hours.

hybrid25 wrote:

hybrid25 wrote:

You know how people sometimes refer to a ball mark tool as a "divot tool"? Those pivot things are truly a "divot tool", they are used to turn a ball mark into a divot!
    lol, that's a good one! And could be true.
  • JagpilotohioJagpilotohio 45+ inch drivers are evil. Columbus, OHMembers Posts: 7,253 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Scotty Cameron tools are the worst thing to happen to Golf greens in the last 30 years.

Over and over I see people prying up the middle of the ball mark because ergonomically the tool looks like it should be used that way.

Scotty should be ashamed to even sell it.

9.5* Cobra LTD, Old school Grafalloy Blue, 43.5"
    14* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X 42"
    16* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X, 41.5" (set to 17*)
    19* Titleist 816 H2 fuji 8.8X TS 40.0"
    4-7 2016 Hogan PTx, KBS Tour V, 120X.  
    Ping i210 8 & 9 Proto 125 F5 hardstepped 1x.
    Ping glide 2 46-12, 50-12, 54-14 (at 55) stealth, Vokey SM6 60M (61). Wedges Recoil Proto 125 F5
    33.5" Ghost spider slant neck.
    Srixon Z-star XV
    Jones Trouper Bag
  • mmhayden13mmhayden13 Members Posts: 662 ✭✭
    The Tyson Lamb repair tools are very nice!
  • JagpilotohioJagpilotohio 45+ inch drivers are evil. Columbus, OHMembers Posts: 7,253 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    The Lamb tools do look nice but they don’t really count since he only makes about 10 a year and they’re always sold out.
    Ping glide 2 46-12, 50-12, 54-14 (at 55) stealth, Vokey SM6 60M (61). Wedges Recoil Proto 125 F5
    Srixon Z-star XV
    Jones Trouper Bag
    hybrid25 wrote:

hybrid25 wrote:

Thats why I said as long as you know how to use it properly. I've seen people with all kinds of tools (Double prong, single prong, tee, fancy repair tool) be used in the wrong ways. Most people believe you need to use a prying leverage motion with any tool which is obviously not the way to do it. I'm not a Scotty cameron fan as a whole, no do I own any of his putters. However, people saying that it is the worst tool to ever happen to greens is just wrong. Just like a golf swing, it is the Indian, not the arrow.

Lamb's tools are almost the same shape and you would believe they "promote" the same motion as the scotty. I do like the look of the lamb tools. I just can't sit on my computer at release time to snag one for $75+. Ill take the $12 cameron tool.
    Ping G400 Accra TZ6 M5
    Callaway Apex UT 21*
    Mizuno MP5
    Vokey
    Spider

Tp5x

hybrid25 wrote:

hybrid25 wrote:

However, people saying that it is the worst tool to ever happen to greens is just wrong. Just like a golf swing, it is the Indian, not the arrow.

You may know how to use it, I know I know how to fix a ball mark, But face it, the Scotty Cameron repair tool, by appearance and physical makeup, promotes the wrong actions which are destructive to the green. Scotty Cameron putters are some of the best in the world, it's a bit of irony he would produce a tool that would promote possible harm to the green.
    hybrid25 wrote:

hybrid25 wrote:

hybrid25 wrote:

However, people saying that it is the worst tool to ever happen to greens is just wrong. Just like a golf swing, it is the Indian, not the arrow.

You may know how to use it, I know I know how to fix a ball mark, But face it, the Scotty Cameron repair tool, by appearance and physical makeup, promotes the wrong actions which are destructive to the green. Scotty Cameron putters are some of the best in the world, it's a bit of irony he would produce a tool that would promote possible harm to the green.

Yes. You simply would not make a tool in that “pivot” shape if the goal is to repair ball marks without levering up the prongs.
    “1lb beefstak, with
    1pt bitter beer
    every 6 hours.
    edited Jan 4, 2018 #202
    I would be willing to bet a very large sum of money, with unfortunately no way of proving it, that Scotty actually DID NOT KNOW HOW TO PROPERLY FIX A BALL MARK WHEN HE FIRST DESIGNED THAT TOOL. There is no way he could have.

What about the tools with the actual roller at the pivot point??? Why would it even be there if he didn’t think the tool was supposed to pivot on it and pry the grass up from the middle?? It’s totally illogical to think he didn’t mean for it to be used that way.

Story that’s been repeated thousands of times I’m sure:

I have a good friend that I just started playing with this year. WRXer. Single digit Physician. OSU scarlet is his home course. Dude can play. Incredible on the greens. I call him the wizard. Up and down from everywhere and sinking 15-18 footers all day.

The very first time I played with him last spring I had to very delicately correct him to stop pulling up the middle of his **** ball mark with that god awful Scotty Cameron pivot tool. He was totally shocked, but completely willing to listen to me. He’d never been taught or told otherwise and he simply used the tool as his instincts told him to.....incorrectly!!
    Srixon Z-star XV
    Jones Trouper Bag
  • ruffellprefleyruffellprefley Members Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Jan 4, 2018 #203
    from the scotty website: “Its unique design provides more leverage when repairing ball marks and is environmentally sound for the greens.”

this definitely sounds like they mean you to pry with it. in reality the “pivot” part should face the sky and move toward the middle of the pitch mark (right?)

the ones I always have trouble with are on soft greens where the crater is half the depth of a ball. wtf am I supposed to do there???

from the scotty website: “Its unique design provides more leverage when repairing ball marks and is environmentally sound for the greens.”

this definitely sounds like they mean you to pry with it. in reality the “pivot” part should face the sky and move toward the middle of the pitch mark (right?)

the ones I always have trouble with are on soft greens where the crater is half the depth of a ball. wtf am I supposed to do there???

Exactly. They’ve been making them wrong for so long that they now have to stand by the design and act like it’s correct.

They are 100% committed to selling that POS. It’s truly pathetic.
    Srixon Z-star XV
    Jones Trouper Bag
  • hahanicehahanice Members Posts: 352 ✭✭✭✭
    Hahaha that Cameron tool. I had one to go with my Cameron putters. Sold them all, didn't like the putters but that's unrelated. Using that tool was basically torture. Every time I used it I felt like I was using it wrong. That hump is on the back of it so that you will use it as leverage to pry up.

Using it correctly was actually uncomfortable.
  • pldbryanpldbryan Members Posts: 176 ✭✭✭
    A plain old tee does the best job for me. I usually use a pitchfix tool though, either way.
  • soregongolfersoregongolfer Members Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Jan 5, 2018 #207
    When the Cameron tools first came out, there were directions on how to use it on his website. The directions showed exactly what you guys are talking about.

Also, I don't think the Cameron tool is the reason we see guys pulling up from the middle. I see guys on tour do this all of the time. Plus, how many people who fix pitch marks incorrectly actually have Cameron tools?

When the Cameron tools first came out, there were directions on how to use it on his website. The directions showed exactly what you guys are talking about.

Also, I don't think the Cameron tool is the reason we see guys pulling up from the middle. I see guys on tour do this all of the time. Plus, how many people who fix pitch marks incorrectly actually have Cameron tools?

You’re right. The absolutely normative way to “repair” a ball mark is to try and pull the bottom back up to ground level. Has been the norm as long as I’ve played golf. Good players, hacks, everyone in between.

Cameron’s pivot tool is like all his other products, it simply caters to the most popular style, gold plates it and charges double.
    “1lb beefstak, with
    1pt bitter beer
    every 6 hours.
    edited Jan 5, 2018 #209

You’re right. The absolutely normative way to “repair” a ball mark is to try and pull the bottom back up to ground level. Has been the norm as long as I’ve played golf. Good players, hacks, everyone in between.

Cameron’s pivot tool is like all his other products, it simply caters to the most popular style, gold plates it and charges double.

This is the proper way to repair a ball mark. Please do not ever pry it up it to ground level from the middle. If you see anyone doing it that way please do us all a favor and politely correct them.

Srixon Z-star XV
    Jones Trouper Bag
    edited Jan 5, 2018 #210

You're right. The absolutely normative way to "repair" a ball mark is to try and pull the bottom back up to ground level. Has been the norm as long as I've played golf. Good players, hacks, everyone in between.

Cameron's pivot tool is like all his other products, it simply caters to the most popular style, gold plates it and charges double.

This is the proper way to repair a ball mark. The "normative" way is not to pull it back to ground level. If you see anyone doing it that way please do us all a favor and politely correct them.

By "normative" I meant,

establishing, relating to, or deriving from a standard or norm, especially of behavior.

The method your picture labels as "wrong way" is, in fact, the method used by 90% of the good players and 90% of the hacks I've ever played golf with (not including the ones who wouldn't fix a ball mark if their life depended on it!).

I agree with you, with the picture and with the others posting on this thread that pulling up from the bottom is totally wrong. None the less, it is how almost everyone has always done it and Scotty Cameron is nothing if not tuned in to the norms of behavior and preference.
    “1lb beefstak, with
    1pt bitter beer
    every 6 hours.

You're right. The absolutely normative way to "repair" a ball mark is to try and pull the bottom back up to ground level. Has been the norm as long as I've played golf. Good players, hacks, everyone in between.

Cameron's pivot tool is like all his other products, it simply caters to the most popular style, gold plates it and charges double.

This is the proper way to repair a ball mark. The "normative" way is not to pull it back to ground level. If you see anyone doing it that way please do us all a favor and politely correct them.

By "normative" I meant,

establishing, relating to, or deriving from a standard or norm, especially of behavior.

The method your picture labels as "wrong way" is, in fact, the method used by 90% of the good players and 90% of the hacks I've ever played golf with (not including the ones who wouldn't fix a ball mark if their life depended on it!).

I agree with you, with the picture and with the others posting on this thread that pulling up from the bottom is totally wrong. None the less, it is how almost everyone has always done it and Scotty Cameron is nothing if not tuned in to the norms of behavior and preference.

And as I said in a previous post, Scotty should be ashamed of himself for almost single handedly encouraging people to damage greens for so many years after he created a very popular, very damaging tool.

I’m sure he was ignorant of the the fact that it caused damage at the time he created it, but now that he certainly knows better he should have the balls to step up and change the design of it. He certainly won’t. It’s all about the $$$ and it’s F-ing disgusting.
    Srixon Z-star XV
    Jones Trouper Bag

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file