Titleist 905R ... resurgence of the BEST DRIVER EVER!!!

Titleist-Golfer

Let me start out by saying I have been forever in search of the "The Driver". In my quest, I have tried pretty much them all including: 915D4, 915D3, 910D3, 913D3, 917D3, 913D2, 16M2, 16M2 tour issue, 17M2, Epic, Epic SZ, and many more, but nothing is even close to the performance of the venerable 905R. I just don't understand how this can be true. By the way, I have also tried every driver shaft under the sun including: Rogue 125MSI 60TX, 70TX, even 50Tx, Every Diamana 'ahina, ADDI6X, ADGP6X, ADBB6X, HZRDUS T1100 65 6.5, HZRDUS Black 6.5, Yellow 6.5,

So, I remembered some great times I had with a 905R and then read some positive things about them on GolfWRX, recalling a lot of heyday from posts on here and decided to turn back the clock and build another 905R for my game today. I started by looking for the "most pristine" example of 905R available ... looked for 9.5, but found a 10.5* on 2nd Swing Golf for something like $69. Came with Graphite Design YS-6+ stiff, which was ok, but found (here on GolfWRX) a "Ricky Fowler Orange" Whiteboard 73 x5ct X flex driver shaft for $75 (a steal). Took to GolfMart here in Santa Rosa to get the reshaft done, but they were afraid of breaking the aluminum hosel insert, so they refused to do the work. I then took it to Strong's Golf Service (a local repair shop), and they cut the YS-6+ at the hosel, drilled out the blind bore 1.5" and inserted the orange Whiteboard (exactly as it came from the GolfWRX seller - tip was prepped perfectly (shaft immaculate) ... resulting in a perfectly, spot-on 45.5" driver. Strong's did an amazing job ... the club looks amazing, but how would it play? Or, before that, I also realized recently that I was less "hooky" with the driver if I used a MCC+4 grip with 2 wraps (fattening the grip a tad), so I headed back to GolfMart, where they installed the grip for me. Time to try it out ... of course after the required 24 hours of epoxy dry time. It was hard to wait.

After work today, went to Foxtail Golf Course in Rohnert Park, CA, since it was on my way home and they have two 18 hole courses. I teed off at around 5:45pm. First drive was a bombing high draw starting down the right side and curving back into the fairway and following the gentle dogleg left. The hole was 423yds from the tips and I was left with around 110 to the middle of the green (wow!). I won't go through all of the holes, but suffice it to say ... I hit more fairways than normal and my drives were L-O-N-G, finding places on the course I have never been. I was hitting 5 irons into par 5s, wedges into par 4s, and hitting from the short grass, which was incredibly exciting. I have had honeymoon drivers before, but this didn't feel that way at all. With some drivers, I have had to manipulate something, like with the 16M2, I had to play the ball just outside my left toe to strike on upswing to get best numbers. This thing, I just put the ball where comfortable, left my hands where comfortable and ripped bombing, fairway-finding drives, one after the other. Dare I tempt the golf gods and say it was "easy"? Every ball felt trapped, each hit SO HARD with a high draw. I am so excited to get back out tomorrow after work (love summer solstice with sunset around 9pm) for another round of long ball.

THIS IS THE LONGEST, MOST ACCURATE DRIVER I HAVE EVER OWNED. Period.

What I have into this one: $69 head, $75 shaft, $25 reshaft labor, $14 grip with labor for a grand total of $183, wow!

Bag with T-MB 2i ADDI 95X

Bag with 975F 14.5 Rombax 8Z08

Protecting my most valued club with a nice Scotty Cameron headcover!

[size=3][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif][url="https://www.usna.edu/homepage.php"]Go Navy![/url]

[b][u]WITB[/u][/b]
Titleist 915 D4 8.5 Oban V430 6.5 75g
Titleist 915 F2 15 Rogue Silver 80S
Titleist VG3 18.5 JDM PX 6.0
Titleist 680 raw 4-PW Nippon MODUS 125S
Titleist TVD raw C-C 53 and Indigo SM5 58 DGTI
Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport Beach 340g 35"
Scotty Cameron MilSpec Gen2 330g 35"[/font][/size]

Had one back in the day, and remembered having one of the best driving rounds in my life. Had it matched up with an Graf Blue x. Would prob give it another shot again, if the price was right!

[b] Cally Rogue SZ [/b]9* Diamana Ilima 60x
[b] TM m2 HL - proforce v2 96gx
[b] Ben Hogan Apex Edge Pro 3-pw TI S400
[b] Callaway MD3 52/10 TI S400 Callaway MD3 58/10 PM grind TI S400
[b] TM Spider Tour CS
Ball of the week

Awesome bag with $1,000 in irons/wedges then $100 in woods. Stick with what works.

[b]Driver: [/b][i]TBD[/i]
[b]Fairway:[/b] Taylormade Superfast 16.5*/Even Flow Blue
[b]Hybrid:[/b] Titleist 913H/Rogue Black
[b]Irons:[/b] Mizuno MP 59s
[b]Wedges:[/b] Titleist SM4 52/56/60
[b]Putter:[/b] [i]This area intentionally left blank [/i]

Played a 9.5' 905R with a Proforce V2 for many years and it was a heck of a club. Probably the best looking driver I've ever used

Callaway GBB Epic SZ 10' - HZRDUS Smoke Black 60g 6.5
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15' - HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g 6.5
Taylormade SIM 3H - GD AD-DI 8x
Ping i(e1) 4-PW - Project X 6.0 
Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08F, 54.08M, 60.04L - KBS 610 Wedge
Odyssey Tank Cruiser 7

After reading some recent posts about the 905R, I started looking at some online. I had one years ago and loved it. Not sure why I ever gave up on it, but I have been through a ton of drivers since. I decided to purchase one I saw online for cheap. Mine came yesterday. Can't wait to try it. I got a 10.5 (also looked for a 9.5) with a stiff NV65 shaft. I wonder if it will take the place of my Srixon 545?

Yeah, it's one of my favorites. I just wish it wasn't a bore through so I could rebuild it a little easier. I have a few of the sleeves from billy bobs but so far I have been un-inclined to touch anything.

I have owned:

- 9.5 with speeder S - my idiot roommate broke it right at the hosel, gone. This was certainly the longest driver I've ever hit, I'd probably still have it in the bag had that not happened.

- 9.5 with YS6 - I didn't like this one, too flippy and high ball flight.

- 9.5 with NV R - A buddy is 'borrowing' this one ... one day I may get it back...

- 8.5 with speeder 757 S - I cut this to 44" and put a nice patch of lead on the bottom to get it to D4. I've only practiced with it once and didn't really get it figured out. The MP-650 is way too good to cheat on right now, but this one lurks with much potential.

[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Mizuno MP-650 8.5[/font]°[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- Fubuki alpha 73s, D4[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]TEE CB5 16.5[/font]° - Kai'li 73s, D5[/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]TEE CB2 21[/font]° - Fubuki tour 73s, D6
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Mizuno [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]MP-32 4-P [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]PX 5.5[/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif], [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]D6 - D9[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Mizuno [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]MP-T 51.07[/font]°[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]PX 5.5[/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif], [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]D9.5[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Titleist SM 56.08[/font]°[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]PX 5.5[/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif], [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]E0[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Sonartec t35 60.09[/font][/size][size=2]° [/size][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=2]- PX 5.5 E0.5[/size][/font]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]CAN'T PUTT WITH ANYTHING[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Bridgestone B330 RX[/font][/size]

So when they cut the old shaft off at the hosel and drilled it out, did they drill it out 1.5" and insert the shaft or did they drill it out until it was a 1.5" BBGM (Bottom of Bore to Ground) measurment? The reason I ask is if they only drilled it out to insert the shaft 1.5" then that shaft might be playing pretty soft to flex because the BBGM is probably 2+ since that entire hosel structure is 4" or more. Either way it sounds like it's working for you. Very awesome!

love it. I had a 975f for years. I hope the combo keeps working for you!

9.5* GBB Epic w/ RT Technologies Zeus 75g
16.5* Tour Issue TaylorMade M2 w/ RT Technologies Zeus 85g
20* Itobori Hybrid w/ RT Technologies Midas 98g
Epon AF Tour CB w/ AMT DG X100 4-PW
MannKrafted Custom 51* & 56* w/ AMT DG X100
MannKrafted Yaupon
Vice Force Stand Bag
Vice Pro Plus

This makes me want to bust mine out and give it another whirl. I have no complaints about my current gamer, but you're completely right about the 905R. There's just something about it that is so appealing to me, whether its the shape of it or the sound it makes off the face. Easily one of my favorite clubs I've ever owned.

Just had a 9.5 905r head shafted up with a 76g V2 stiff.... wishing I went to the 66x but overall, the 905r is impressive still. Feel and sound are awesome and it's easy to keep in play. Distance-wise, it performs... may get more yards with a couple of the newer offerings, but stacks right up there with the newer Titleist drivers still. Second round of our club championships this weekend and I am considering throwing it in the bag!

Titleist TSr2 10*  GD UB 6s

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Srixon ZX7 mkii 4-7, Z-Forged ii 8-P KBS CTL 110

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

That is a really interesting bag, both with the 2i and the 3w.

Actually it's either/or, not both. Depending on the course, I put one or the other in the bag.

[size=3][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif][url="https://www.usna.edu/homepage.php"]Go Navy![/url]

[b][u]WITB[/u][/b]

So when they cut the old shaft off at the hosel and drilled it out, did they drill it out 1.5" and insert the shaft or did they drill it out until it was a 1.5" BBGM (Bottom of Bore to Ground) measurment? The reason I ask is if they only drilled it out to insert the shaft 1.5" then that shaft might be playing pretty soft to flex because the BBGM is probably 2+ since that entire hosel structure is 4" or more. Either way it sounds like it's working for you. Very awesome!

Drilled it out 1.5" - inserted (epoxy) the whiteboard 1.5" into the sleeve. Does not seem whippy to me - rather stout, of course, I don't know how much the orange whiteboard was tipped prior to me buying it from a WRXer last week.

[b][u]WITB[/u][/b]

Great driver. Used to bomb mine with Aldila NV green stiff.

Loved that fairway wood you got in there as well!

2017 M1 440 9.5* - Tensei Pro Orange 70TX
TM M3 3 wood - 14.25* - Tensei Pro White 80TX
Srixon u45 DI - 19* - Tensei Pro White Hybrid 100TX
Mizuno mp18 4-PW - Nippon Modus3 120x
Hogan TK wedges - 50*, 54*, 58* - Nippon Modus3 120x
Ping Anser OG
Snell MTB Black

Had the 905R with NV65, YS6+, Titleist Speeder, Proforce V2, and Diamana BB 63. Took me a long time to go away from this driver but made the jump when the 910s came out and went with the D3 head for a smaller profile. Once Titleist released the sure-fit hosel it made it great for switching shafts whereas the 905R did not have this option. Plus there were never any good club techs in my area that I would trust to reshaft the 905R.

The 905R was a solid feeling driver and I really like the head shape. Only down fall I had with it was that it was a spin machine for me.

FYI I am sure that some of the TM guys would argue that the R510tp is the best driver ever!! :D

SiM 2 10.5* GD Tour iZ 6s

TSR2 15* Tensei Blue

TSR2 18* Hybrid Hzrdus Black Gen 4

Mizuno JPX 921F 4-P Pro Modus 105

Titleist SM9 Black 50, 54 & 58

Odyssey Protype iX #1 or TM Spider Hydro Blast slant neck

Mine was $30nz, about $24 us and 3/10 condition, 2 weeks ago.

Quick regrip, polish up the Head, re fresh lettering paint, perfect YS6 regular

And it lands in the fairway for me.

Got an old 975 14.5 with EI 70 to keep it company !!!

Now i can sell the R7 Quad !!

2020 18 July mid winterNZ
Ping Rapture 2006 10.5
Nike VrS 3wood
Callaway Razr Edge5 wood

MP100=33 9876 5/mp63
54     RTX2
60     RTX2
ProPlatinum NewportTwo
2002 325gram +8.NewGrip
Dont hesitate to buy one!

A F3-05 Prototype three fairway would complete this bag!

Would pay big money to get one of those. Can't find them anymore.

[b][u]WITB[/u][/b]

never seen an orange whiteboard. Was that a special release? or painted up? Looks awesome. I have an 8.5 905R that I want to shaft up with a new WB, just need to find one.

The orange WBs are rare indeed. I think they made them for Ricky Fowler (OSU colors). He used one like this for a while. No different from normal, but color is the bomb on this one. Really love it. This one happened to come from another WRXer a week or two ago for a great price. And, it was absolutely mint.

[b][u]WITB[/u][/b]

To me, that possibly shows your past combo wasn't optimised,

This one is my third 905 in a year and i was Very Confident that if i got the higher loft

and the Perfect Shaft, for me the GDI YS6 regular, and teed it hi and forward for

a + AOA i was on to a Winner !!

For me the Regular plays firm !

So as Titleist Golfer has done, rebuild with the Ricky Fowler Blueboard !!!!!!! thats his Combo!

I prefer a 320 to 400cc head, but the 905R is a Classic so will also look for another 905T and S

Stay in the fairways!!!

2020 18 July mid winterNZ
Ping Rapture 2006 10.5
Nike VrS 3wood
Callaway Razr Edge5 wood

MP100=33 9876 5/mp63
54     RTX2
60     RTX2
ProPlatinum NewportTwo
2002 325gram +8.NewGrip
Dont hesitate to buy one!