John Daly / PXG

mr coolmr cool Members Posts: 45 ✭✭
Has anyone else heard the that rumor Big John is now part of the PXG troop. If this is true does anyone know what clubs / specs he is playing ?
GRIP IT -N- RIP IT !!!!!!

Comments

• Stuart_GStuart_G New HampshireMembers Posts: 22,906 ✭✭
    He's using a PXG logo'd bag (stand bag) at the Greenbiar.
  • Fade to BlackFade to Black Members Posts: 3,776 ✭✭
    Odd choice of bedfellows.
    Driver: Callaway GBB 9.5* (Project X HZRDUS Black 76g 6.5X)
    Hybrid: Taylormade RBZ 19* (Fujikura Speeder TS H9.8)
    Irons: Callaway Apex'14 4-PW (DG X100)
    Wedges: Nike SV Tour (DG S400)
    Putter: Odyssey Tank Cruiser #7
    Balls: Srixon ZstarXV
  • dlygrissedlygrisse Members Posts: 13,013 ✭✭
    Match made in heaven

Ping G400
    Callaway Rogue 3w, HW
    Ping G 4 hybrid
    Ping G 4-U
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54* SS
    Vokey 58 M grind
    Odyssey Pro #1 black
    Jones Utility
    ECCO Biom Hybrid 3
  • tbowles411tbowles411 ClubWRX Posts: 25,061 ✭✭
    Doesn't affect me in the least. To me, these are no better than anything else sold.
    **Bag Construction in Progress**
    Mizuno ST190 G 9.5 (Lofted to 10)
    Mizuno ST190 3TS
    Mizuno CLK 2 Hybrid
    Mizuno Fli-Hi 4 Iron Replacement
    Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal (5-PW)
    Mizuno S18 Wedges - Blue Ion (50-7, 54-12, 58-16, 62-8)
    Scotty Cameron Phantom X12
    PING Vault 2.0 Craz-E **Backup**
  • buckeyeflbuckeyefl Members Posts: 5,363 ✭✭

Odd choice of bedfellows.

IN what way? To anyone paying attention to PXG marketing buzz since its creation it would seem to make perfect sense. John would play Kmart clubs if they sent him the right check.
  • imakaveliimakaveli Moli Moli Moli Moli Tommy Tommy Tommy Tommy... Members Posts: 12,556 ✭✭
    I wouldn't be surprised
  • TheMoneyShotTheMoneyShot ***FIGJAM/Twirl of Doom*** Members Posts: 30,366 ✭✭
    JD is still on the vertical driver website as a player/sponsor. Perhaps that deal is dead...
  • handicap122003handicap122003 Members Posts: 140 ✭✭
    I’m glad to see something go John’s way.
  • ChristopherMcDonaldChristopherMcDonald Members Posts: 2,396 ✭✭

JD is still on the vertical driver website as a player/sponsor. Perhaps that deal is dead...

my guess would be he's on some sort of irons/wedges deal
    King LTD Rogue 95 MSI
    2007 Burner 3 Wood Aldila Serrano 75
    2007 Burner 5 Wood Aldila Serrano 75
    Taylormade Jetspeed Hybrid True Temper Project X 6.0
    Adams XTD Tour 5-GW True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 AMT
    Scratch Tour Issue 1018 56* True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 AMT
    Scratch Tour Issue 1018 60* True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 AMT
    Custom Cameron & Crown 5MB
    Wilson Staff Duo
  • Short PeteShort Pete Posts: 195 ✭✭

You forgot the irony smiley. He got and still gets a lot of invites to tournaments he isn't qualified for, he gets sponsor deals despite playing not so well for most of the last 20 years. The things not going his way (gambling debts, 4 divorces, drinking, overweight, WDs) were not happening by accident or some godly decision, they were the results of choices Big John made. Him getting another equipment deal or an invite to the Greenbrier is just another lucky break for the man who could have achieved so much if he only put some energy in.
    WITB:

Driver: Callaway GBB 10,5, Kuro Kage reg.
    3w: Callaway V Series 15°, Bassara Reg
    5w: Callaway V Series 19°, Bassara Reg
    Hybrid: Callaway Razr HL 4, reg. graphite
    Irons: Cobra F7 One length, 5-GW, reg. steel
    SW: Ping Eye 2+, reg. steel
    Flatstick: Odyssey 2-Ball White Ice Broomstick 46" (No, I don't anchor;-))
    Ball of choice: SRIXON AD333
  • imakaveliimakaveli Moli Moli Moli Moli Tommy Tommy Tommy Tommy... Members Posts: 12,556 ✭✭
    edited Jul 7, 2018 #12
    Is Hulk Hogan in the team yet?
  • stevemacstevemac Members Posts: 537 ✭✭
    Short Pete wrote:

You forgot the irony smiley. He got and still gets a lot of invites to tournaments he isn't qualified for, he gets sponsor deals despite playing not so well for most of the last 20 years. The things not going his way (gambling debts, 4 divorces, drinking, overweight, WDs) were not happening by accident or some godly decision, they were the results of choices Big John made. Him getting another equipment deal or an invite to the Greenbrier is just another lucky break for the man who could have achieved so much if he only put some energy in.

Absolutely correct-
  • Sun DevilSun Devil Posts: 1,366 ✭✭
    Small addendum to his PXG contract. Any clubs "accidently" falling into lakes, ponds, etc will be paid by John personally.
    Titleist 910 D2 Diamana Stiff
    M2 HL 3wood
    Ping G25 hybrid TourAd UT-85s
    Callaway Apex CF16 Irons with Aerotech Steel Fiber I95 Stiff; Soft Stepped; +1/2"; flat 1 degree
    Cleveland Wedges 50,56,60 with Nippon N.S.Pro 1050GH S
    Ping Sigma G Tyne Putter
    ProV1
  • EKELLYEKELLY Posts: 2,593 ✭✭
    Tour players play whatever pays the most! If you think there is another reason, you are wrong. Period!.
  • RobotDoctorRobotDoctor Senior Hacker ClubWRX Posts: 4,424 ClubWRX
    Is John Daly even relevant to Golf anymore? He is the epitome of a wasted talent. Tremendous natural ability but lack of work ethic and too much love to get drunk wasted what should have been an incredible career. He's now left relegated to hawking his trinkets from the side of his mobile home and hoping for sponsor's exemptions. I would rather see someone working their butt off get benefits like a club contact instead of someone hanging on to their past while not working their butt off getting back to that plateau.
    Taylormade M3 (2018 tour head) 9.9 degree Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6S
    Titleist 906F2 15 degree Fujikura Pro 73 Tour Spec stiff
    Taylormade SLDR 2 Hybrid Graphite Design Tour AD DI-Hybrid 85 stiff
    Ben Hogan '99 Apex Blades (3-PW) Nippon Modus Tour 120 stiff
    Miura 52* GW S-200
    Scratch Golf LW Nippon Modus Tour 120 stiff
    Byron Morgan Epic Day Long Pipe Copper plated
    BestGrips Augusta Microperf grips
  • cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Members Posts: 11,635 ✭✭

Is John Daly even relevant to Golf anymore? He is the epitome of a wasted talent. Tremendous natural ability but lack of work ethic and too much love to get drunk wasted what should have been an incredible career. He's now left relegated to hawking his trinkets from the side of his mobile home and hoping for sponsor's exemptions. I would rather see someone working their butt off get benefits like a club contact instead of someone hanging on to their past while not working their butt off getting back to that plateau.

Nobody's perfect bud

Everyone has their own demons to deal with

Ping G400 LST 11* Mitsu TI BB Matte 53x
    Callaway GBB 3w 14* Mitsu Blueboard 63x
    Ping G400 5w 17* Fubuki Tour 73x
    Callaway V-series Hwood Fuji TS 8.2s
    Callaway Apex 4h 23* Fujikura 904HBs
    Ping Rapture 5-PW Aldila NV MLTi Pro105x
    Ping iWedge 50* Aldila NV 105x
    Ping Glide SS 53* & ES 59* Wrx SF125s
    Piretti Matera Elite (torched)
  • rangersgoalierangersgoalie Posts: 1,744 ✭✭
    Those PXG bags really fit nicely on carts
  • YepyukonYepyukon Hinge + Hold Members Posts: 4,122 ✭✭
    Glad GolfWRX isn't made of glass with all the stones being thrown. If true, good more him and hopefully PXG.
    Srixon 785 10.5* w/ Oban Devotion
    Nike VR Pro Limited 15* w/ Diamana Kai'li
    Srixon ZU85 18* w/ Diamana WB
    Srixon ZU85 22* w/ AxivCore Blue
    Srixon 785 5 - 8 w/ Project X Flighted
    Srixon Z Forged 9 - PW w/ Project X Flighted
    Cleveland RTX 4 50* 55* 60*
    Nike Method 003 Oven Prototype
    Srixon ZSTAR XV Tour Yellow
    edited Jul 7, 2018 #20
    cardoustie wrote:

Nobody's perfect bud

I realize that. Believe me, I'm pulling for Daly to overcome his demons. My comment is based on squandered potential. I've met John Daly and he was more interested in selling his trinkets and drinking his beer than working on his game. There are many young players who are looking/hoping for a break but don't get one. That's all I'm saying. Daly has had his day in the sun and if he were working his tail off I'd think differently.

We all have some sort of demon we wrestle with but that's a different issue.
    Miura 52* GW S-200
  • Popeye64Popeye64 Posts: 873 ✭✭
    That's kinda harsh. We are not all wired to be this shining example of humanity. He has life long issues.
    Popeye64 wrote:

That's kinda harsh. We are not all wired to be this shining example of humanity. He has life long issues.

And why is it harsh? Many would say the assessment is spot on accurate. Look at last week for example. He withdraws from the US Senior Open because he doesn't get a cart. He's invited to submit additional information to validate this request. Instead of validating this he simply quits and withdraws. Scott Verplank went through the necessary steps and had a cart. Why should JD be treated differently? Again, if he worked half as hard on his game than he does selling trinkets maybe his detractors would think differently.

Miura 52* GW S-200
  • Tiptx1122Tiptx1122 TMPing Members Posts: 1,651 ClubWRX
    Not a good match as he swings way to hard and all the screws will come loose or fall out.
  • j-robj-rob Members Posts: 1,078 ✭✭
    I don’t care what people think of John Daly, his demons, or his lifestyle. I like John Daly. I find him to be to infinitely interesting. The same goes for PXG.
  • BoognishBoognish Members Posts: 716
    edited Jul 7, 2018 #25
    Grip it n rip it image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    Callaway 816 DBD 9* / Fuji Speeder Evo II 569-S
    Callaway XR16 14* / Fubuki AX f75-S
    Callaway X2Hot 5Deep 18.5*/ Aldila Tour Green 75-S
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 20* & 23* / Fuji Pro 83-S
    Srixon z765 5-9 / Modus 120-S
    Mizuno S18 46*
    Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 52*
    Callaway PM Grind 58*
    Ping Vault 2.0 Ketsch
  • TeetoogrnTeetoogrn Posts: 135 ✭✭
    Okay...here we go...I find it interesting that quite a few posters seem willing to give Big JD a break when it comes to his repeated transgressions, while TW is ripped, repeatedly on this same site for chasing skirts while married Before the posting attacks begin, note that I recognize that we have the right to like and dislike whom ever we please...okay 3-2-1...GO!
  • lowheellowheel LOWHEEL Members Posts: 6,011 ✭✭
    cardoustie wrote:

Nobody's perfect bud

I have a running drinking game on wrx in john daly threads when someone says "demons".I get wasted pretty quick... image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />
  • YepyukonYepyukon Hinge + Hold Members Posts: 4,122 ✭✭
    Teetoogrn wrote:

Okay...here we go...I find it interesting that quite a few posters seem willing to give Big JD a break when it comes to his repeated transgressions, while TW is ripped, repeatedly on this same site for chasing skirts while married Before the posting attacks begin, note that I recognize that we have the right to like and dislike whom ever we please...okay 3-2-1...GO!

Vice versa for people ripping JD but giving TW a pass because of his record I guess. c'est la vie
    Srixon 785 10.5* w/ Oban Devotion
    Nike VR Pro Limited 15* w/ Diamana Kai'li
    Srixon ZU85 18* w/ Diamana WB
    Srixon ZU85 22* w/ AxivCore Blue
    Srixon 785 5 - 8 w/ Project X Flighted
    Srixon Z Forged 9 - PW w/ Project X Flighted
    Cleveland RTX 4 50* 55* 60*
    Nike Method 003 Oven Prototype
    Srixon ZSTAR XV Tour Yellow
  • Short PeteShort Pete Posts: 195 ✭✭
    Yepyukon wrote:

Teetoogrn wrote:

Vice versa for people ripping JD but giving TW a pass because of his record I guess. c'est la vie

Not too many people gave TW a pass regarding his DUI driving or his skirt chasing. But TW put a pretty brilliant career together with multiple major wins and dozens of tournament wins around the globe from 1996 through 2013. John Daly won 4 tournaments between 1991 and 1995, three more between 2001 and 2003, and has an impressive record of WDs and MCs aside from his multiple off-course "ventures".
    WITB:

Driver: Callaway GBB 10,5, Kuro Kage reg.
    3w: Callaway V Series 15°, Bassara Reg
    5w: Callaway V Series 19°, Bassara Reg
    Hybrid: Callaway Razr HL 4, reg. graphite
    Irons: Cobra F7 One length, 5-GW, reg. steel
    SW: Ping Eye 2+, reg. steel
    Flatstick: Odyssey 2-Ball White Ice Broomstick 46" (No, I don't anchor;-))
    Ball of choice: SRIXON AD333
  • golfandfishinggolfandfishing Members Posts: 3,398 ✭✭
    Teetoogrn wrote:

Probably has a lot to do with how each one handled their “issues”. Daly was upfront about his addictions and has said he can’t overcome them. Tiger hides in a house and has a guy release statements about his drugs being mismanaged. Daly gets raked by his wife and he shows up with open wounds on his face to play the next day. Tiger gets whacked with a 9 iron and he somehow refuses to talk to law enforcement about driving his suv over a fire hydrant. Daly plays like carp and simply walks off, WD’ing like a child. Tiger makes up fantastical theatre about his glutes and whatnot. I think the difference is that Daly acknowledges his fans while Tiger generally wishes they all died in a fire while he watched from the clubhouse. One is a forgivable character, the other is not.
  • LlortamaiseyLlortamaisey Members Posts: 5,876 ✭✭
    EKELLY wrote:
    Tour players play whatever pays the most! If you think there is another reason, you are wrong. Period!.

Is Jason Dufner the exception?