Driver vs Driver 2

11315171819

Comments

  • A.G. Pennypacker A.G. Pennypacker Members Posts: 487 ✭✭
    edited Nov 12, 2018 #422
    Or maybe they cut the prize in half because the last driver was garbage and no one bought it (at retail price). Who knows.
  • YepyukonYepyukon Hinge + Hold Members Posts: 4,127 ✭✭
    I keep hearing about how the Triton was an awful driver but how many people actually tried it. I know I did not so I cannot comment on the quality.



    Yes it did not sell well but that has more to do with brand bias than actual performance.
    Srixon 785 10.5* w/ Oban Devotion
    Nike VR Pro Limited 15* w/ Diamana Kai'li
    Srixon ZU85 18* w/ Diamana WB
    Srixon ZU85 22* w/ AxivCore Blue
    Srixon 785 5 - 8 w/ Project X Flighted
    Srixon Z Forged 9 - PW w/ Project X Flighted
    Cleveland RTX 4 50* 55* 60*
    Nike Method 003 Oven Prototype
    Srixon ZSTAR XV Tour Yellow
  • joekellijoekelli A member of the exclusive "Kingdom 14" Members Posts: 2,621 ✭✭


    Or maybe they cut the prize in half because the last driver was garbage and no one bought it (at retail price). Who knows.


    I didn't think the Triton was garbage, I actually hit it pretty well. Of course I had to cover up the skunk stripe and fill it polyfill to deaden the sound, but it was my gamer for a while. Of course I only paid $75 for it and would have never paid the initial retail price!
    Ping G LS Tec 9* Oban Devotion 75x
    Callaway Epic 15* Oban Devotion 75x
    Callaway X2Hot pro 20* Tour green 75-X
    TaylorMade RSi2 5-pw CTAPER 130X
    TM EF spin 52, 56 & 60
    Putter- TM JD Spider s
    Machine M2A converter
    Ball- [font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Kirkland Signature or TM TP5 x[/font]
    WITB Link
  • Holy MosesHoly Moses Members Posts: 10,479 ✭✭
    Yepyukon wrote:


    I keep hearing about how the Triton was an awful driver but how many people actually tried it. I know I did not so I cannot comment on the quality.



    Yes it did not sell well but that has more to do with brand bias than actual performance.




    It was too low-spin for me and had a poor sound. But a lot of people said it performed.
    Ping G30 LS Tec 10* (DI-6X)
    Ping G30 3W 15* (DI-7X)
    Ping i20 3 (DI-95S), 4-UW (PX 6.0)
    Ping Glide 2.0 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
    Ping Vault Arna
  • RH82RH82 Members Posts: 2,014 ✭✭
    Is there any pics around in the address position of the Magnus?
    Cobra King KTD Pro (9.5*)
    Titleist 917 F2 (16.5*)
    Callaway Apex (20*/23*)
    Srixon Z785 (5-PW)
    Cleveland RTX-4 (50*/56*/60*)
    Odyssey White Hot Pro #3
  • A.G. Pennypacker A.G. Pennypacker Members Posts: 487 ✭✭
    I hit the Triton. Only reason I would have bought it is to take out the rogue 125 shaft in it. Head was incredibly ugly and launched / spun way too much for me.
  • RichieHuntRichieHunt Members Posts: 3,661 ✭✭
    A friend of mine owned it for a while and liked it and didn't get rid of it until the Callaway Rogue Sub Zero came out.



    It was LOUD. My friend later put some hot melt in it to muffle the noise.



    The alignment stripe just reeks of bush league. Any golfer worth their salt knows that an alignment aid doesn't help much with the driver. Having said that, I didn't mind the look of the stripe, but it's just one of those things where the marketing is that it helps you aim better and you're just like 'yeah, okay...whatever.'



    The big issue I had with the Triton was the hooded face. I personally couldn't stop pull-hooking the thing. But, my friend prefers a hooded face driver so he really liked it. But, he also got the Triton for cheap.



    I just think this season is far better than season 1. The final four driver designs all brought something interesting and new to the table from a performance/adjustability standpoint. If I had to go with 1 winner, I'm thinking it's the Rozwell. The last testing with the most recent update did well. It has 'shelf appeal' because the bottom looks different, but has a classic look when you set the club down. The Trabecular technology is something that can be marketed like 'Jailbreak Technology' or 'The Twist Face' technology. And it was designed by a college student and golf companies are always trying to find ways to appeal to the younger market.

















    RH
  • RichieHuntRichieHunt Members Posts: 3,661 ✭✭
    DFinch wrote:


    As a tech/CG/launch/spin/ball speed geek I get annoyed at the reality (as shown in the show) that a lot of people don't care about any of that and just want looks and sound.



    I want them to cover things like amount of CG movement with each weight system, changes in launch/spin, any face tech or design features designed to retain ball speed, hosel adustability, etc.. With the golf spy guys guest judging, I wanted to see talk about CG/neutral axis positioning since they pretty much broke that code and provide it for current driver designs.



    Otherwise it's just a beauty contest.




    I agree. I get asked about how to get fitted for a driver. I tell people it's a good idea to go to a place like True Spec golf because you need to find a driver with a CG location that matches your swing. If you're a high launch player that tends to hit it off the toe, you don't want a high, center face CG location with the CG towards the back of the club.



    I can understand not liking a club for the sound. Once in a while I'll catch a Molitor in a bucket of range balls and as much as I am about performance, I wouldn't want to hear that wound ever again.



    And I understand the issue with a hooded face. But, that can affect performance.



    Other than that, it's just a beauty contest and most of that is people acting like sheep to whatever corporate marketing campaign and branding works best for sheep.



    That's why I was willing to give the Magnus a shot. It was the most accurate and forgiving club of the bunch that didn't require a ridiculous amount of high MOI to do it so spin wasn't a big issue. And it had the highest smash factors tested (although that can be a launch monitor issue). To me, what looks best out there is when you're outdriving everybody else and hitting more fairways. Give me a cubed shaped driver and if it produces that, I'll buy it and laugh all the way to the bank with your money with it.



    Having said that, the latest reiterations showed that Cortex and Rozwell were performing as well, if not better than the latest reiteration of the Magnus. And yes, I'm interested in trying out whatever the winning driver is.















    RH
  • joekellijoekelli A member of the exclusive "Kingdom 14" Members Posts: 2,621 ✭✭
    edited Nov 12, 2018 #430
    RichieHunt wrote:


    A friend of mine owned it for a while and liked it and didn't get rid of it until the Callaway Rogue Sub Zero came out.



    It was LOUD. My friend later put some hot melt in it to muffle the noise.



    The alignment stripe just reeks of bush league. Any golfer worth their salt knows that an alignment aid doesn't help much with the driver. Having said that, I didn't mind the look of the stripe, but it's just one of those things where the marketing is that it helps you aim better and you're just like 'yeah, okay...whatever.'



    The big issue I had with the Triton was the hooded face. I personally couldn't stop pull-hooking the thing. But, my friend prefers a hooded face driver so he really liked it. But, he also got the Triton for cheap.



    I just think this season is far better than season 1. The final four driver designs all brought something interesting and new to the table from a performance/adjustability standpoint. If I had to go with 1 winner, I'm thinking it's the Rozwell. The last testing with the most recent update did well. It has 'shelf appeal' because the bottom looks different, but has a classic look when you set the club down. The Trabecular technology is something that can be marketed like 'Jailbreak Technology' or 'The Twist Face' technology. And it was designed by a college student and golf companies are always trying to find ways to appeal to the younger market.

















    RH


    I found one that was not as closed face as some others were. And I didn't like the stripe either!

    , Problem solved...

    Ping G LS Tec 9* Oban Devotion 75x
    Callaway Epic 15* Oban Devotion 75x
    Callaway X2Hot pro 20* Tour green 75-X
    TaylorMade RSi2 5-pw CTAPER 130X
    TM EF spin 52, 56 & 60
    Putter- TM JD Spider s
    Machine M2A converter
    Ball- [font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Kirkland Signature or TM TP5 x[/font]
    WITB Link
  • Holy MosesHoly Moses Members Posts: 10,479 ✭✭
    Gotta be the Cortex according to panelist’s judging
    Ping G30 LS Tec 10* (DI-6X)
    Ping G30 3W 15* (DI-7X)
    Ping i20 3 (DI-95S), 4-UW (PX 6.0)
    Ping Glide 2.0 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
    Ping Vault Arna
  • AUTIGER07AUTIGER07 Just lost $1K on a putt Members Posts: 1,099 ✭✭
    Golf Channel just screwed that up. Announced you could pick up the Cortex via Revolution Golf about 5 minutes before Tim announced it. Whoops.
    915D3 8.5 D70X *B1*
    915F 16.5 D80X *C1*
    915Hd 20.5 D90X *C1*
    MP4 4-9 C-Taper X
    VR Forged 47 / 51 / 55 / 59
    Black Lab BL-7
  • Holy MosesHoly Moses Members Posts: 10,479 ✭✭
    Will the Wilson Tour staff play it? Streelman had the Triton in play for what, one tournament?
    Ping G30 LS Tec 10* (DI-6X)
    Ping G30 3W 15* (DI-7X)
    Ping i20 3 (DI-95S), 4-UW (PX 6.0)
    Ping Glide 2.0 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
    Ping Vault Arna
  • LifeStoryLifeStory Members Posts: 301 ✭✭
    AUTIGER07 wrote:


    Golf Channel just screwed that up. Announced you could pick up the Cortex via Revolution Golf about 5 minutes before Tim announced it. Whoops.




    lol...
  • Holy MosesHoly Moses Members Posts: 10,479 ✭✭
    Wow I actually never saw the popup ad for the Cortex on the show in real time before Tim Clarke announced the winner. I had to go back and watch it again. How do you mess that up?
    Ping G30 LS Tec 10* (DI-6X)
    Ping G30 3W 15* (DI-7X)
    Ping i20 3 (DI-95S), 4-UW (PX 6.0)
    Ping Glide 2.0 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
    Ping Vault Arna
  • just plain billjust plain bill Unregistered Posts: 1,488 ✭✭
    What a screw up...somebody oughta get a reprimand for that gaff...ruined the announcement...
  • NixLix26NixLix26 Members Posts: 336 ✭✭
    Holy Moses wrote:
    Wow I actually never saw the popup ad for the Cortex on the show in real time before Tim Clarke announced the winner. I had to go back and watch it again. How do you mess that up?


    I had to go back as well.
    CURRENT BAG SETUP
    TAYLORMADE - M1 HZRDUS
    TITLEIST - 906 F 13*
    MIZUNO - MMC FLIHI 2 IRON*
    MIZUNO - MP32  3-PW
    CLEVELAND - 588 GUNMETAL - 56*, 60*
    SCOTTY - Bullseye



    https://www.instagram.com/nixlix26/
  • llewol007llewol007 4KidsGolfer ClubWRX Posts: 3,361 ClubWRX
    Interesting how the show is going. I for one never took to the first running of the show but the second season actually hold some merit that that is probably what a lot of the other companies do when it comes to research and development. Good for Wilson to actually show how many good ideas can fall flat on its face while others are take fire with of course a lot of PR and some Pga tour players having them in their bag. I could probably care less for either one but would not mind trying them.
    Cobra F8 9* Aldila Rogue 60 3.0 X Stiff
    Cobra LTD 14.5 Degree Aldila Rogue 70 3.3 X Stiff
    Cobra LTD 17.5 Degree Aldila Rogue 70 3.6 X Stiff
    Cobra MB/CB 4-PW DG AMT S300 Black HHx1
    Cobra Pur 52/58 S200 
    Cobra Hosel neck Putter
    Snell 
  • Holy MosesHoly Moses Members Posts: 10,479 ✭✭
    llewol007 wrote:


    Interesting how the show is going. I for one never took to the first running of the show but the second season actually hold some merit that that is probably what a lot of the other companies do when it comes to research and development. Good for Wilson to actually show how many good ideas can fall flat on its face while others are take fire with of course a lot of PR and some Pga tour players having them in their bag. I could probably care less for either one but would not mind trying them.




    Couldn't care less you mean. But if you couldn't care less why would you try it?



    What a screw up...somebody oughta get a reprimand for that gaff...ruined the announcement...




    You get more publicity for "ruining the announcement" than not maybe?
    Ping G30 LS Tec 10* (DI-6X)
    Ping G30 3W 15* (DI-7X)
    Ping i20 3 (DI-95S), 4-UW (PX 6.0)
    Ping Glide 2.0 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
    Ping Vault Arna
  • chungnjnchungnjn ClubWRX Posts: 124 ClubWRX
    editing for this episode gave it away tbh.

    I'd like to see DvD3 to be a live vote from unedited trackman numbers behind the screen.
  • jvincentjvincent Members Posts: 589 ✭✭
    chungnjn wrote:


    editing for this episode gave it away tbh.




    Yeah, it was pretty clear who they were going to choose well before the end.



    Good move by Wilson paying for Tim's final year and the job offer.

    Cobra F9 9* : Tour AD TP 7-S
    Cobra LTD set at 16* : Tour AD TP 8-S
    Cobra 3U set at 19.5* : Nippon Modus3 130-S
    Wishon 565MC 4-PW : Nippon Modus3 130-S
    Cleveland RTX3 50, 54, 58 : Nippon Modus3 130-S
    Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

  • DblEglDblEgl Members Posts: 761 ✭✭
    Does Wilson own the rights to the Roswell or did they just lock him up with the offer ?

    Either way, good job Wilson.
  • landsharklandshark Members Posts: 887 ✭✭
    I am curious on the take Rick Shiels will have and if he has any other bias towards the Wilson. I would assume he got paid for his input, etc. I wonder if Wilson has any stipulations on his youtube reviews and/or comparisons?
  • TheMoneyShotTheMoneyShot ***FIGJAM/Twirl of Doom*** Members Posts: 30,573 ✭✭
    Anyone going to buy the Cortex?
  • Holy MosesHoly Moses Members Posts: 10,479 ✭✭
    landshark wrote:


    I am curious on the take Rick Shiels will have and if he has any other bias towards the Wilson. I would assume he got paid for his input, etc. I wonder if Wilson has any stipulations on his youtube reviews and/or comparisons?




    I'd be surprised if he reviews it unless he knows he's going to get great numbers with it at his facility.
    Ping G30 LS Tec 10* (DI-6X)
    Ping G30 3W 15* (DI-7X)
    Ping i20 3 (DI-95S), 4-UW (PX 6.0)
    Ping Glide 2.0 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
    Ping Vault Arna
  • 5hort5tuff5hort5tuff Members Posts: 3,306 ✭✭
    edited Nov 13, 2018 #446
    Everyone is a winner here as both drivers are more appealing than last year's winner.



    After the Triton bust...i had a feeling they would pick tho best looking/visually appealing model available. The cortex is more in line with what is selling now. Carbon fibre crown, track weight removable weights...they should have released it last year. It may have sold a few more.
    COBRA LTD w. Hzrdus Red
    WISHON 919 w. Hzrdus Red
    TAYLORMADE Issue Aeroburner w. Tensei Blue
    PING G25 w. Tensei Blue
    PING I200 w. AWT 2.0
    PING Glide 2.0 Stealth
    MannKrafted Carbon WB Rattler
    Xenon Copper Wide X
    SGC 902
  • WildcatGolferWildcatGolfer Members Posts: 154 ✭✭
    They’re asking $499 on this one. Might be a great driver but going to struggle at that price point
    Shovels
    Rakes
    2x4s
    Baseball Bat
  • tbone18tbone18 Members Posts: 490 ✭✭



    Anyone going to buy the Cortex?




    What's the asking price?
    $499 I think.
    CALLAWAY BIG BERTHA 815 HYBRID 20,23 / MATRIX HM3 105
    MIURA CB-1007 5-PW / ALDILA RIP TOUR 115
    TAYLORMADE HIGH TOE 50,54,58
    PXG BAT ATTACK BLACK CENTER SHAFT

    TESTING IN PROGRESS
    EPIC FLASH SUB ZERO 9* / ALDILA ROGUE SILVER 110 70 X-FLEX
    PING G410 PLUS 9* / PROJECT X EVENFLOW BLACK 75 6.5
    HONMA TW737VN 5-10 / ALDILA RIP TOUR 115
  • Holy MosesHoly Moses Members Posts: 10,479 ✭✭
    Tim Clarke - the president of Wilson Golf - has no Twitter profile picture, a grainy background picture, and 841 followers. Should have a better social media presence on a night like this.
    Ping G30 LS Tec 10* (DI-6X)
    Ping G30 3W 15* (DI-7X)
    Ping i20 3 (DI-95S), 4-UW (PX 6.0)
    Ping Glide 2.0 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
    Ping Vault Arna
Sign In or Register to comment.