The Curious Case of Tommy Tolles

Golfer4LifeGolfer4Life Bob Parsons Bodyguard, Chump!ClubWRX Posts: 2,152
I have always been a fan of Tommy Tolles. We were born ten days appart in the same year, so I grew up watching him play.

I always thought he was a great player, with a great name, and he gave swag a whole new meaning. He was always classy, with a very nice swing, and to me represented what a professional golfer ought to look like.

1996 and 1997 were his best years on tour with a third at the 96 PGA Championship, a third at the 97 Masters, a tied for 5th at the 97 U.S. Open, and one spot short of making the 97 Ryder Cup.

Unfortunately, that was pretty much it after a few unremarkable seasons in the mini tours. I really missed him on tour.

Fast forward to 2018. Tommy is playing in the PGA Champions Tour and doing really well. He went through Qualifying School, worked hard and he’s back at it. He’s in the mix in the Charles Schwab Cup playoffs and I’m very happy for him, his family, and I wish him all the success.

I guess I just wanted to talk about a player that admired a lot.

PXG Derangement Syndrome, it is real.......<br /><br />Equipment:<br /><br />A bag full of PXG’s<br />Non Titleist Welded Neck 35/330g SC 009<br /><br />“Check your Ego at the Club House and Play the Correct Tees”

Comments

• MarkFromTheUKMarkFromTheUK Members Posts: 4,639 ✭✭
    That’s certainly a blast from the past. Haven’t seen his name for about 20 years!
    PXG 0811X Gen2 9deg Driver - AD-GP 7TX
    PXG 0341X Gen2 15deg Fairway - AD-GP 8TX
    PXG 0311X Gen2 1 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
    PXG 0311X Gen2 3 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
    PXG 0311T Gen2 4-PW - Dynamic Gold X7
    PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 51 - Dynamic Gold X7
    PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 56 - Dynamic Gold X7
    PXG 0311T Zulu 61 - Dynamic Gold X7
    PXG Brandon H - 34.5”
    PXG Operator H - 34.5”
    Toulon Indianapolis - 34.5”
    PXG 50/50 Staff Bag
    Bridgestone Tour B X

KaBoom Baby!
  • chigolfer1chigolfer1 Posts: 801 ✭✭

That’s certainly a blast from the past. Haven’t seen his name for about 20 years!

Gotta say, this is one of the coolest aspects of this tour. Where else do you literally get a second chance like that in sports 20 years past when you last played professionally at a high level.
  • HankshankHankshank Posts: 1,517 ✭✭
    What is curious?
  • Golfer4LifeGolfer4Life Bob Parsons Bodyguard, Chump! ClubWRX Posts: 2,152
    Hankshank wrote:

What is curious?

Dude, is just a title. Holy s***!
    PXG Derangement Syndrome, it is real.......<br /><br />Equipment:<br /><br />A bag full of PXG’s<br />Non Titleist Welded Neck 35/330g SC 009<br /><br />“Check your Ego at the Club House and Play the Correct Tees”
  • golfgirlrobingolfgirlrobin Members Posts: 2,280 ✭✭
    I remember back in the mid 90’s when Tolles and Paul Stankowski were going to be the next big thing.
    Driver: Ping G400 Max 10.5*
    Fairway: Epic Flash 14* & 20*
    Hybrid: Ping G410 22*
    Irons: TaylorMade M CGB 6-SW
    Wedges: Callaway 2019 PM Grind 59* and 64*
    Putter: TaylorMade Spider X - Copper / Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide
  • BMCBMC Members Posts: 3,509 ✭✭
    He missed hitting me with a par 5 approach shot by 5 feet at the SAS Championship two weeks ago (at the club where I work).

He's incredibly fit for a 50 year old. I heard he'd been doing landscaping work. Best of luck to him on the Champions tour.
    PING OG Rapture 9*
    Cobra Baffler Pro 18* hybrid
    Cleveland CG2 irons 3-p
    Bridgestone Wedges 52/56
    Odyssey #1WS
  • aliikanealiikane Members Posts: 1,600 ✭✭
    A lot of players are re-igniting their careers on the Champions tour. Champions tour has a lot of fans and is very successful because it is the players that you have watched over the years and know.
  • rangersgoalierangersgoalie Posts: 1,743 ✭✭
    Had pretty serious injuries too

Had pretty serious injuries too

He also would be the first to admit his bigger injury was within his ears. I thought he was going to take the tour and run with it. I thought he had the talent to be in contention week in and week out. But I guess life happens.

I know this is a silly thread, but I was so happy for him I couldn’t help myself.
  • TheShaunTheShaun Members Posts: 1,084 ✭✭
    He was in the same group as MAJ at the Boeing. Followed that group the full 18. He had a terrible day that day, but the one I thing I recall was that his caddy seemed to be a guy out of the crowd. Just carried the bag and followed Tommy around. Tommy raked his own bunkers that day with a little help for MAJ's guy chipping in too.
    TheShaun wrote:

He was in the same group as MAJ at the Boeing. Followed that group the full 18. He had a terrible day that day, but the one I thing I recall was that his caddy seemed to be a guy out of the crowd. Just carried the bag and followed Tommy around. Tommy raked his own bunkers that day with a little help for MAJ's guy chipping in too.

Wow, thanks for sharing. I think if this season continues to go his way, next season he will be around with a caddie and will be able to structure his schedule.
    Poulter, eat your heart out, lol....
  • MattyO1984MattyO1984 Members Posts: 4,742 ClubWRX

I remember back in the mid 90’s when Tolles and Paul Stankowski were going to be the next big thing.

As soon as I read Tommy Tolles they next name that came in to my head was Paul Stankowski! 49 in December according to google so maybe a run at the Champions Tour for him in 2020.
    Titleist TS3 8.5 Stiff Project X Even Flow White T1100
    Titleist 915Fd 15 Stiff Rogue Black
    Titleist 915Hd 17.5 Stiff Diamana S+
    Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW Stiff KBS Tour
    Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08, 54.10 & 60.04
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
    ProV1x
  • BIG STUBIG STU Members Posts: 11,151 ✭✭
    He did an interview on the GC the other night on Champions Tour Learning center--- Had the full beard thing going too--- Said he was glad to be back playing competitive golf again. I have always enjoyed the Champions Tour because back in the past you had good players that came out of the ProShop and did pretty well guys like Larry Loretti. You had guys that came from nowhere with no professional golf pedigree like Walt Zembriski and the guy they called the Beer Man. BTW Langer was born the same year as I was he is a month older than I am. I actually like everyone on that tour. Know some of the guys on that tour. Rocco and Scott McCarron are always interesting and MAJ has added a lot of flair to that tour too.
    Driver: Homna G1-X Homna stock Regular shaft
    FW Adams Tight Lies 16* Diamana Reg
    Irons 3 thru 9 KZG Kyoei Forged CB 1st generation Swing Science 400 Graphite Senior flex
    PW Cleveland Special 588 45* bent to 47* Stock Cleveland Steel Shaft
    SW Cleveland 588 56* DG Sensicore S-300 ( old dependable)
    Putter- 1997 Scotty Cameron Santa Fe Bulls Eye fluted shaft rusty and lead taped as heck named "Rusty"
    Bag-- Jones Classic non stand
    Founding Father of Outlaw Golf Association member #1---- Play what you want **** the USGA & R&A
    Redneck Hippie Golf When the Tailgate drops the BS Stops
    Vintage
    Toney Penna Model 1 Aldila HM-40
    3&4 woods Macgregor DX Keyhole steel TT R
    Irons 2 thru 9 1954 Hogan Precision TT green or 1980 Macgregor VIP 3 thru PW Hogan Apex #2 shafts " The famous Bastardized Macs"
    PW Hogan White Cameo 50* Hogan Apex Wedge
    SW Macgregor LRA 56* S-400 DJ Special-- Will rotate out when old dependable does not behave
    Putter ( subject to change) Lil David 8802
    Bag Old School Power Bilt orange mini staff
  • OldTomMorrisOldTomMorris Members Posts: 2,084 ClubWRX
    edited Oct 26, 2018 #16
    Finished T2 alongside Monty @ Sawgrass in 96 when Couples won for there for the second time. Tolles had the 54 hole lead but shot 72 whereas Couples shot 64 to win by 4 but it seemed a lot closer. I'm sure Couples eagled 16 then birdied 17.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    Titleist 910D3 8.5°
    TaylorMade M3 15°
    Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
    Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
    Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

Titleist Pro V 1x
  • FergusonFerguson Executive Member VAMembers Posts: 4,410 ✭✭
    Did Tommy learn what it's like to fall in the mud and get kicked in the head with an iron boot?

Of course he didn't, no one does. It never happens.

The point being is that he faced personal struggles and he's back.
  • sixtysevensixtysevensixtysevensixtyseven Members Posts: 2,028
    I have kind of the same story with Ty Tryon. I took second place to him in like 6 tournaments when we were kids and he just flamed out totally. It only took him a year to fall off the planet where Tommy had a nice run of a couple years at least.

I have kind of the same story with Ty Tryon. I took second place to him in like 6 tournaments when we were kids and he just flamed out totally. It only took him a year to fall off the planet where Tommy had a nice run of a couple years at least.

He has to be one of the biggest golf busters ever. I saw he was playing the mini tours trying to make a comeback.

Ferguson wrote:

Did Tommy learn what it's like to fall in the mud and get kicked in the head with an iron boot?

Of course he didn't, no one does. It never happens.

The point being is that he faced personal struggles and he's back.

And I’m glad!
  • sui generissui generis Members Posts: 3,767 ✭✭
    Hankshank wrote:

What is curious?

It's simply alliteration. image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play a round of competitive golf.
  • moonshinemoonshine 64 @ Augusta? No problem! North Charleston, SCClubWRX Posts: 6,349 ✭✭
    Was he not like the first guy to play Tommy Hilfiger golf clothes? I have never seen the stuff...ever.
    "We have learned that we must
    live as men, not as ostriches, nor
    as dogs in the manger." FDR
    moonshine wrote:

Was he not like the first guy to play Tommy Hilfiger golf clothes? I have never seen the stuff...ever.

I’m not sure, but one thing is for sure, he was the King of Swag!
  • gr00vetechgr00vetech Posts: 499 ✭✭
    Played with him earlier this year while he was practicing at the club I work at. He seems like he finally is feeling healthy physically and was motivated to play. Certainly not surprised to see the success from what I saw from him that week.
  • Conrad1953Conrad1953 Members Posts: 14,943 ✭✭
    I like comeback stories. Thinks for bringing him up!
    gr00vetech wrote:

Played with him earlier this year while he was practicing at the club I work at. He seems like he finally is feeling healthy physically and was motivated to play. Certainly not surprised to see the success from what I saw from him that week.

Thanks for sharing!
  • MidwestGolfBumMidwestGolfBum Corporate Golfer Extraordinaire MSN/MKE/DSMMembers Posts: 1,283 ✭✭
    aliikane wrote:

A lot of players are re-igniting their careers on the Champions tour. Champions tour has a lot of fans and is very successful because it is the players that you have watched over the years and know.

In my opinion, as the regular tour guys, as well as some who weren't able to keep their card, get older and decide to play on the Champions it's going to gain more and more viewers because of the fact that they have more names that more people are recognizing and are able to get behind. It can only be a good thing for that tour.
    Titleist TS3 9.5* Mitsubishi Tensei White 70TX
    Titleist 917F3 15* Graphite Design AD-DI 7X black
    Titleist T-MB 2i Graphite Design AD-95X Utility/Driving iron
    Titleist 714 MB 4-9 True Temper TI X100 or Cally RazrX MB 4-9 True Temper TI X100
    Vokey SM7, 52.08, 56.10, 60.08 True Temper TI S400
    Byron DH89 or Piretti Proto

The bag is always a work in progress.
  • HankshankHankshank Posts: 1,517 ✭✭
    edited Oct 30, 2018 #27

Hankshank wrote:

What is curious?

Ah. Americano is not my mother language.
    edited Oct 30, 2018 #28
    Hankshank wrote:

Hankshank wrote:

What is curious?

Ah. Americano is not my mother language.

Oh, got it, lol...Is kind of a figure of speech, plus you have to admit, it sounds cool, lol..
    gr00vetech wrote:

I would enjoy a chat with him. Maybe someday :-)
  • smeech8000smeech8000 Ev'ryday I'm Trufflin' Members Posts: 2,419 ✭✭

Yep. Then Stank went and signed a shoe sandal deal with Bite Footwear.

https://www.gettyimages.com/detail/news-photo/paul-stankowski-wears-his-sandal-golf-shoes-during-the-sony-news-photo/72305881

At least he capitalized and got himself into not one but TWO Tiger Woods video games!

(TW 2003 & 2004 for those of you keeping score at home)
    Titleist 915D4 9.5*
    Titleist 909f3 15*
    Titleist 913h 19*
    Cally RAZR MB 4-PW
    Cally Forged 50/54/58
    Lajosi Sensor
  • bullsfanbullsfan Members Posts: 464 ✭✭
    Back in 1999 I was invited to play in the Honda Classic Pro Am in south Florida. Tommy was my playing partner and we had a blast playing together. Cool guy and I have always rooted for him as well. I myself am glad to see him playing on the Champions Tour. Hope he does well.
    WITB

Driver: Ping Anser 10.5*
    3 Wood: Ping i20 14*
    Irons: Ping i25 3-PW
    Wedge(s): Ping Glide 50* 56* & 60*
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Select Squareback