Budget driver

IvyguyIvyguy Members Posts: 1,465 ✭✭

Hey yall!

I have been hitting the 17 M2 and cobra f8 (and +) with similar results. I am not a fan of driver being the most expensive stick in the bag.

I can get a good deal on either, which would you go with?

Very general, sure, but being fitted into a low spin driver has been disastrous. I had great luck with my G15 before going into a TS3...

What say you?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• swing thoughtsswing thoughts Members Posts: 260 ✭✭

Go with what you like best. They are both great clubs and I've owned both. My personal preference is the cobra, I loved that club but eventually settled on a g400. For me the cobra is prettier, better feel and sound, and more forgiving. The M2 was a little longer. Also, someone is blowing out m3's on ebay and has been for a few weeks. They're going for at or less than $200 per auction. The M3 can be adjusted to where it is the same club as the M4.

Ping G SL Tec 9* XS
    Callaway XR 15* R

Cobra Bio Cell Fairway 18.5 S
    Titleist 816 H1 21* S
    Nike Vapor Pro 4-9 S <or> Mizuno MP 69 4-9

Vokey SM6[background=transparent] 48* 10 S[/background]
    [background=transparent]Taylormade Tour Preferred EF 52* 10 S[/background]
    Taylormade Tour Preferred EF 58* ATV S

Odyssey Versa #7 35"
    Taylormade Daddy Long Legs 38"
    [background=transparent]Scotty Futura X5 38"[/background]
    [background=transparent]Callaway Bobby Jones blade 35"[/background]
  • MyherobobhopeMyherobobhope hey there, blimpy boy. Flying through the sky so fancy free. Members Posts: 2,105 ✭✭

@Ivyguy said:
    Hey yall!

I have been hitting the 17 M2 and cobra f8 (and +) with similar results. I am not a fan of driver being the most expensive stick in the bag.

Very general, sure, but being fitted into a low spin driver has been disastrous. I had great luck with my G15 before going into a TS3...

What say you?

Thanks in advance.

My spending mentality overall is to spend where it makes sense, and make sure big purchases are well fit to yo... For instance, I took a flyer on a $50 hybrid because I won't hit it that often and as long as it works decently, I can ignore that gap until I have everything else in my bag settled.
    On the driver front, I'm going to get fit and find whatever works best for me and then plan on keeping it for 5 years. If I can do that cheap with last years model, great... if it requires a new model and a custom shaft... it sucks, but at least I'll have what I want for a little bit.
    I've made the mistake of spending $150 on three different drivers... I wish I had just spent $600 on one. Just make sure whatever you buy will stay in your bag for awhile and everything will be good.

Current Bag (Rebuilding as of 5/6/19)
    Driver: Adams Fast 12 LS with Matrix Black Tie (to be replaced)
    3W: Adams Fast 12 with Excalibur (to be replaced)
    Hybrid: Bridgestone j40 with Excalibur (to be replaced)
    4-9: Taylor Made Oversize (to be replaced)
    PW: Mizuon HMP with DG120 Stiff (5/6)
    50 degree Vokey with DG120 Stiff (5/6)
    56 and 60 degree Cleveland Wedges (to be replaced)
    Odyssey Tank #7 (only club I'm keeping this season)

• IvyguyIvyguy Members Posts: 1,465 ✭✭

Totally agree about making a good purchase...

• MyherobobhopeMyherobobhope hey there, blimpy boy. Flying through the sky so fancy free. Members Posts: 2,105 ✭✭

Ha! I’m now shopping last years models... callaway rogue sub zero might be a new toy

• giogolfgiogolf Giogolf Members Posts: 1,260 ✭✭

Budget is subjective.. whats your price range? $100-150, $$200-250 etc... Tons of options in those categories.. My last 3 drivers were all budget for me (sub $200) and still within the 2018 model year M4, F8+ and 400 LST.. All of which are great drivers still found on Tour.. I guess pick a price point and search.. but you cant really go wrong with anything in the last 3 years

• Exactice808Exactice808 Just want to hit ball far and go find it... Members Posts: 4,550 ✭✭

@Ivyguy said:
    Hey yall!

What say you?

Thanks in advance.

Without knowing ANYTHING about how you swing a club. PURELY on the word "Budget" No other talk about, hitting it straight, hitting it far etc.
    To me Most underrated driver, offered to the masses and could be potentially played by the greater general public.

TM Jetspeed driver. to me this was the most updated version of the 07 burner.... Forgiving, hot enough balanced club good enough and CCCHEEEAAPP!!!!

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=taylormade+jetspeed+driver&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=1&_sop=15&_oac=1

Ebay got plenty of them.... super underrated....

Titleist 915D3 
    TM M2v1 - 
    TM 18* M2 
    TM TP MC 4 & 5 PX 6.0 Rifles
    Cobra AMP Cell Pro 6-PW PX 6.0 Rifles
    Titleist SM5 Vokey50*/8*, 54*/10* & 58*/8* X100's
    Scotty Newport 2 33"
  • Bobb3rdownBobb3rdown Bothell, WAMembers Posts: 591 ✭✭

910,913 d3 can be had at a great price. I keep going back to my 910 after searching for a better driver over the last year

Titleist 917d2 9.5
    Titleist 917f2 15
    Adams A7 19
    Adam's pro mini 23
    Bridgestone J36 pc 5-pw
    Cleveland Rtx3 50,54,58
    Ping karsten piper
    2018 Players 5 stand bag
    Srixon Z Star xv
  • tbsbamatbsbama Members Posts: 6 ✭✭

Cobra King LTD is a wonderful driver. The pro model has lofts from 7 to 10 with fade settings. The regular from 9 to 12 with draw settings. Both heads are absolute bombers and can be found pretty cheap. Best driver I have hit in several years.

• artsmart73artsmart73 the art of golf Members Posts: 870 ✭✭

Titlist 910, 907 d2, TM R9 Tri, TM Burner...

907 D2 9.5*
    910 FD 15*
    910 HY 21*
    712 4I
    MP 57 6I
    MP 58 7I-8I
    MP 15 9I
    Vokey 46F/ 52F/56M/60K
    Stainless NP2
    Chrome soft

• PaintmanPaintman Members Posts: 62 ✭✭

Cobra Fly-Z +. Get the green one. It goes straighter.
    I bought this 3 years ago and it was one year old technology. The shaft is a little long so choking up was necessary. That turned out to be a good thing because I slowed my tempo a bit and tried to hit the ball in the center of the face. Buy some sort of magic, the ball went just as far and a lot straighter. 250 carry, roll out depends on rain.
    Just as an aside, I found it when you open up yourself to consider older or used equipment, there are more choices to find out what really fits your game. In the big picture ,tinkering may not save a lot of money but it sure is fun.

• vadersfathervadersfather Members Posts: 12 ✭✭

I have to 2nd the jetspeed. Imo its the holy grail of most underrated driver ever. Long, super forgiving and just d a m n fun to hit!

• zzyzxx33zzyzxx33 Members Posts: 1,153 ✭✭

I won a Tour Edge EXS Driver and it has been Awesome! Great Price, Look, Sound and Results! It's longer than anything else I've hit.

• Z1ggy16Z1ggy16 Members Posts: 7,426 ✭✭

Budget = ??

<$100 - Cobra Fly z/Bio Cell
    <$200 2016 M2 or GBB Epic
    <$300 Probably still these above plus if you could find, G400 MAX

WITB
    OG Epic Sub Zero HZRDUS Smoke 60 6.5
    LTD Tour Blue 75X
    818H2 Tour Blue 85X
    P790 4i Modus 120X
    P770 5-PW Modus 120X
    Glide Stealth 2.0 50/10SS AMT Wedge
    Glide Stealth 2.0 54/12SS AMT Wedge
    Glide Stealth 2.0 58/10SS Modus 125 Wedge
    TP Ardmore 2 Red-White or TP Juno
    ProV1x
    Sun Mountain 4.5 Bag

I'm looking at under 300.

Thanks for the input guys/gals!!!!

• BottleCapBottleCap Members Posts: 1,354 ✭✭

The Taylormade M2

Titleist TS2 GD TourAD DI 7S
    Titleist 917 F3 GD TourAD IZ 8S
    Mizuno MP-18 MMC 3-4 DG AMT S300
    Mizuno MP-18 5-PW DG S400
    Vokey SM7 54M and 60M
    Cameron Newport 2 CT
    Bridgestone Tour B XS
  • Shifty242Shifty242 Members Posts: 99 ✭✭

@BottleCap said:
    The Taylormade M2

x2

• boggymanboggyman Members Posts: 2,595 ✭✭

I can attest to your post. Had a F8+ that was an anniversary gift from work I chose, custom built through Cobra and was playing great then hit an m6, mistake #1. Then won a big pot on the PGA and chose a m5 tour and have lost it all on the tee with driver. Got an old g15 myself that never let me down. Probably going back to my F8+ though.

• Exactice808Exactice808 Just want to hit ball far and go find it... Members Posts: 4,550 ✭✭
    edited Jun 13, 2019 8:09pm #19

@Ivyguy said:

Under $300 LOL! Dude you just gotta wait about 3 weeks after the first release..... and the Demo's and returns start to come in. most $499 drivers get put in the used bin at $299. The prior Season stuff I see all at $199. IM STILL too cheap at $199 and just wait..... I got a play around Cobra Fly Z driver for $79.00

Just waiting for some of the Cobra Kings to hit those numbers and I am going to grab one for the heck of it......

Lord knows what the original M1 &M2's are selling for... LOL!

Man when you say budget... $300 is scary...... that $300 would buy my whole bag of irons HAHAHAAHAHA!!!

Post edited by Exactice808 on
    Titleist 915D3 
    TM M2v1 - 
    TM 18* M2 
    TM TP MC 4 & 5 PX 6.0 Rifles
    Cobra AMP Cell Pro 6-PW PX 6.0 Rifles
    Titleist SM5 Vokey50*/8*, 54*/10* & 58*/8* X100's
    Scotty Newport 2 33"
  • AG12AG12 Members Posts: 747 ✭✭

I would say the regular PING G400...you can get new for $300 on PGA SS website, '17 M2 is a good choice and the M4 can be had at under $300 used in most shops.

Titleist TS2 9.5* Tensei Pro White 60S
    Titleist TS2 15* Tensei Pro White 70S
    Titleist 818H2 21* Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 8S
    PING i210 4-UW Project X LZ 120
    TaylorMade Hi-Toe 56*/60* 
    TaylorMade Spider X Navy 
    Titleist ProV1x #27
    WITB
  • Other BarryOther Barry I'm not a cow, I'm a pickle, when I feel like it Members Posts: 326 ✭✭

that F8 is a fairway finder!!!! For me it wasn't as long as my TM but i found more fairways with it and it wasn't exactly a slouch off the tee

TaylorMade M5
    Cobra F8 3 wood
    TaylorMade 19* Utility
    Srixon Z765 4-PW
    Vokey SM5 Wedges 50, 56, 60
    Scotty Cameron Sonoma
    Pro V1s / Vice
  • BadshaftBadshaft Members Posts: 137 ✭✭

I have the F8+ and bought the extra weights off of Ebay (inexpensive, shipped from China)- 12g front 7g back- Blue Tensei 70g stiff
    Longest for me - straight and as accurate as anything. Nice well balanced combo-
    Looks to me it has the same moveable weight strategy as the F9

@Exactice808 said:

@Ivyguy said:

Under $300 LOL! Dude you just gotta wait about 3 weeks after the first release..... and the Demo's and returns start to come in. most $499 drivers get put in the used bin at $299. The prior Season stuff I see all at $199. IM STILL too cheap at $199 and just wait..... I got a play around Cobra Fly Z driver for $79.00

Just waiting for some of the Cobra Kings to hit those numbers and I am going to grab one for the heck of it......

Lord knows what the original M1 &M2's are selling for... LOL!

Man when you say budget... $300 is scary...... that $300 would buy my whole bag of irons HAHAHAAHAHA!!!

Lol, man I have been saving for a bit. I'm a penny pincher.

• Nixhex524Nixhex524 ClubWRX Posts: 4,048 ClubWRX

Love my '17 M2. I have been through many drivers over the past couple of years, trying just about anything I could. I was never a fan of the '16 M2, just didn't feel forgiving enough so I stayed away from the '17 until I started playing with a guy who bags it and just hit it straight almost every time. I decided to give it a go, and I find it WAY more forgiving than the '16 M2 and no slouch in the distance category. I really have to put a bad swing on this thing to lose it... fantastic driver, firmly planted in the bag. I highly recommend it.

Taylormade M2 2017 9.5* Tensei orange CK 60
    Cobra F9 14.5* Atmos blue 7s
    Titleist 915hd 20.5* Rogue black 85s
    Bridgestone J15 CB 4-P X100 AMT
    Titleist SM5 50/56/60
    Odyssey PT2
    Srixon Z Star XV/Bridgestone BXS
  • NRJyzrNRJyzr Allez Allez Allez Minnesota, USAMembers Posts: 6,354 ✭✭

@Nixhex524 said:
    Love my '17 M2. I have been through many drivers over the past couple of years, trying just about anything I could. I was never a fan of the '16 M2, just didn't feel forgiving enough so I stayed away from the '17 until I started playing with a guy who bags it and just hit it straight almost every time. I decided to give it a go, and I find it WAY more forgiving than the '16 M2 and no slouch in the distance category. I really have to put a bad swing on this thing to lose it... fantastic driver, firmly planted in the bag. I highly recommend it.

Your post made me wonder at the actual measured differences between the two models. Fortunately, the site which shall not be named has the relevant data for these two models. Let's take a look. :)

2016 M2 - 2.1mm above the neutral axis, MOI of 4601
    2017 M2 - 4.0mm above the neutral axis, MOI of 4746

The difference in MOI, 145 gm-cm², is small enough that I'd call it negligible. Which suggests there were other factors involved in your personal experience. The CG being almost 2 mm higher suggests it's possible you may just prefer a higher CG in your driver?

the other glaringly obvious possibility is the shaft. Perhaps the shaft in the 17 fits you perfectly, while the one in the 16 was not? Not just flex, but possibly also weight, or even the length of the club? Or did you have the exact same shaft in each?

Couple random thoughts while sifting thru Monday morning emails. :)

The Ever Changing Bag!

Driver: Cobra King LTD, ProtoPype 80x or RIP 80x, 43.5" -or- SuperDeep 9.5*, ProtoPype 80x or NV85x, 43.5"
    3w: Cobra King LTD, Motore F1 85 X, 42.5"
    2h:  TM Stage 2 Tour, Nv105 stiff -or- 1 iron: Maxfli Revolution, DGS400
    2-PW, Golden Ram Tour Grind, Dynamic S
    SW: Ram Tour Grind Feel Matched 58*, DGS
    Putter: Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34.5", PP58 midsize grip
    (Cleveland Huntington Beach #1 35" -or- Mizuno TPM-2, 35" as backups)
    Balls: in no particular order... Wilson Staff FG Tour, Duo Urethane, or 50 Elite, Srixon ZStar/ZStar XV, Snell MTB Black... will trot out Maxfli HT-100 or Elite 90 from time to time
    Shoes by True Linkswear

My golf Thai?

I’ve been rolling this concept in my mind a lot... the question becomes how do you find the right fit with used equipment and then acquire it... do you settle for good, while hoping for great?

I’m honestly not sure... I am hoping to hit the rogue sub Zero today and see if I like the feel... I can get a used one for under $200 with decent shaft options directly from callaway.

If I don’t like it, I’m sure what my next steps will be.

• NRJyzrNRJyzr Allez Allez Allez Minnesota, USAMembers Posts: 6,354 ✭✭
    edited Jun 17, 2019 2:00pm #28

If you live near a 2nd Swing location, or a golf retailer that deals in used equipment and has launch monitors available, it's pretty straightforward. You can try various equipment and buy the exact stick that suits you.

Failing that, it's a lot of trial and error. As an example, you can buy something in the WRX BST, if you don't like it, you can list it again in BST and would be out relatively little money. Going this route can be a bit more random. It's not necessarily ineffective, but it can take more time than a fitting based search.

The Ever Changing Bag!

Driver: Cobra King LTD, ProtoPype 80x or RIP 80x, 43.5" -or- SuperDeep 9.5*, ProtoPype 80x or NV85x, 43.5"
    3w: Cobra King LTD, Motore F1 85 X, 42.5"
    2h:  TM Stage 2 Tour, Nv105 stiff -or- 1 iron: Maxfli Revolution, DGS400
    2-PW, Golden Ram Tour Grind, Dynamic S
    SW: Ram Tour Grind Feel Matched 58*, DGS
    Putter: Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34.5", PP58 midsize grip
    (Cleveland Huntington Beach #1 35" -or- Mizuno TPM-2, 35" as backups)
    Balls: in no particular order... Wilson Staff FG Tour, Duo Urethane, or 50 Elite, Srixon ZStar/ZStar XV, Snell MTB Black... will trot out Maxfli HT-100 or Elite 90 from time to time
    Shoes by True Linkswear
  • vibgyor1111vibgyor1111 Members Posts: 55 ✭✭

@tbsbama said:
    Cobra King LTD is a wonderful driver. The pro model has lofts from 7 to 10 with fade settings. The regular from 9 to 12 with draw settings. Both heads are absolute bombers and can be found pretty cheap. Best driver I have hit in several years.

These are on eBay now for just over $100. I've been tempted, but gonna try to make it through this season with the handed down rbz. See what happens to the prices coming into winter.

• PixlPutterman PixlPutterman Look At My Lefty J33R(hey I can wish) Members Posts: 8,258 ✭✭

There are very few drivers you can get away with "recommending" with out knowing anything about the swing.......but the 2016 M2 is one of them

PXG 0811x 9° - HC EvenFlow Black 75x 
    Mizuno MP Fli Hi 18° - C Taper 125
    Mizuno MP Fli Hi 23° - C Taper 120
    Wilson Staff FG62 - S300
    Cobra Tour Trusty 52°/56°/62°- S300
    Mizuno TP Mills TP7 
    RZN Platinum
  • B-NadsB-Nads Members Posts: 326 ✭✭

I agree - the original M2, XR16 Pro, and Ping LS Tecs are great budget priced drivers for anyone looking at low spin heads. I just got a mint condition 2017 M1 with a Graphite Design AD Tour Turbo in it for $150 Canadian. It has gone from a "why not" purchase to the #1 slot in the bag. I had the F8+ - great driver as well. Any of the other drivers will hit the same distances and split the fairways as easily if you lop an inch off the shaft.

In the C130:
    Driver - 2017 Taylormade M1
    3 wood - 2016 Taylormade M1
    Hybrid - Taylormade SLDR S 19*
    Irons - Wilson Staff FG Tour F5 4-GW
    Wedges - Callaway MD3 56* / PM Grind 60*
    Putter - Odyssey Versa #7