GIVEAWAY: Odyssey Stroke Lab Rossie Putter - ENTER HERE, Vokey SM8 52* Wedge - ENTER HERE

Golf Spikes that feel like running shoes?

 Bill Broderick ·  
Bill BroderickBill Broderick Members  498WRX Points: 206Posts: 498 Greens
Joined:  in Golf Style and Accessories #1

I'm having problems with one of my feet. The ball below the toe next to the pinky toe (the "little piggy that had none") is really tender, which gets compounded when I wear my golf spikes (Adidas Powerband Boa Boost). Pressure from one of the spikes, at the outside of the foot, seems to put more pressure on the tender spot. It's not as bad when I wear my spikeless shoes (Nike Lunar Control Vapor). But, prefer to wear spikes. I walk 99% of the time and by the end of the round, my foot ends up being very tender. I have issues with other shoes that aren't well padded as well. By far, the best shoes for me are running shoes, with their padding and soft soles.
Can anyone recommend a spiked shoe that feels like a running shoe. I have wide feet. So, I need something that comes in a wide width. Also, the course that I play most often is always wet (it probably couldn't be built today because it would likely be considered wetlands). So, I absolutely need something that it waterproof. Thanks.

Posted:
«1
2

Comments

  • Z1ggy16Z1ggy16 Members  9783WRX Points: 1,671Posts: 9,783 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #2

    Don't know from personal experience but Sketchers spiked shoes seem to get good reviews. I have had a pair of Sketchers SL shoes and liked them.

    Posted:
    D - SIM Max 9* Ventus Black 6x
    4w - SIM Ti Diamana B 80x
    5w - Speedzone FX 2.0 380 or Speedzone 4i Modus 105x
    Irons - P760 4-PW | Modus 120x
    Glide 3.0 50/54/58 S400 Tour Issue
    Huntington Beach #1 or Toulon San Diego
    Ball - BXS


  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • Bill BroderickBill Broderick Members  498WRX Points: 206Posts: 498 Greens
    Joined:  #3

    I should have mentioned that I really like the BOA on the Adidas and would prefer to have it over laces.

    Posted:
  • Z1ggy16Z1ggy16 Members  9783WRX Points: 1,671Posts: 9,783 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #4

    Beggars can't be choosers ;)

    Posted:
    D - SIM Max 9* Ventus Black 6x
    4w - SIM Ti Diamana B 80x
    5w - Speedzone FX 2.0 380 or Speedzone 4i Modus 105x
    Irons - P760 4-PW | Modus 120x
    Glide 3.0 50/54/58 S400 Tour Issue
    Huntington Beach #1 or Toulon San Diego
    Ball - BXS


  • LeoLeo99LeoLeo99 Members  5130WRX Points: 908Posts: 5,130 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #5

    My spiked Gore tex Ecco are more comfortable than my spiked Sketchers. You might want to go spikeless until Mr. Pinky heals up.

    Posted:
  • Bill BroderickBill Broderick Members  498WRX Points: 206Posts: 498 Greens
    Joined:  #6

    On -, @Z1ggy16 said:

    Beggars can't be choosers ;)

    Fair point. But, I may as well start with my preferences and then make concessions as needed rather than conceding everything up front.

    Posted:
  • cristphotocristphoto Members  4056WRX Points: 410Handicap: 7Posts: 4,056 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  edited Aug 31, 2019 #7

    First I would go to a quality shoe store and get both feet measured in case you have size differences. If you have different size feet I would contact Footjoy and order a pair of Icon Black shoes that fit each foot per your size. With their top of the line shoes they have a free exchange or return policy (30 or 90 days - can't remember). Like you I walk and have had ongoing tender feet issues in the past. The Icon Blacks are amazingly comfortable with their cork footbed liner yet offer great support. Plus they are waterproof. I have five pair that I've been rotating for the last few years and they look great. They're not super light (or cheap) like many of today's athletic style shoes but I don't notice any heaviness when I wear them and I'm retired. At the end of the round I don't even notice my feet which is what you want.

    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • AhotrainAhotrain Members  86WRX Points: 18Posts: 86 Fairways
    Joined:  #8

    Pumas shoes are amazing. They will run you $120-150 and honestly the life you get and the comfort it should be alot more.

    Posted:
  • Bill BroderickBill Broderick Members  498WRX Points: 206Posts: 498 Greens
    Joined:  #9

    On -, @Ahotrain said:

    Pumas shoes are amazing. They will run you $120-150 and honestly the life you get and the comfort it should be alot more.

    Thanks. The last I heard, Puma's run pretty narrow and there are very few models that offer a wide width. This surprised me when I read it. Back when I was a teenager (late 70's early 80's), I always wore Puma's because they were much wider than the competition. Back then, the "competition" was limited to Adidas, Converse, Nike & Pony (and there was only between 1 & 3 models for each sport made by any of them).

    Posted:
  • AhotrainAhotrain Members  86WRX Points: 18Posts: 86 Fairways
    Joined:  #10

    I typically can't wear Nikes cause of wide feet and don't have an issue with the pumas. I have had 3 pair all fit great. Like I said that's my favorite shoe and my girlfriend hates it cause I have 4 pairs of other shoes I don't wear now

    Posted:
  • Mikey5eMikey5e ohioUnregistered  1441WRX Points: 374Handicap: 15Posts: 1,441 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #11

    When I go out and play a casual round wish some of my buddies who are higher handicap golfers I just wear my running shoes while I play. Under most normal conditions running shoes, or walking shoes whatever, should be good enough. If you slip while swinging it is usually that you are swinging wrongly. The only issue I have with some non golf shoes is that they don't look like golf shoes oftentimes, but a pair that look decent enough are not that hard to find. There's nothing like getting out of the car grabbing the clubs and not fussing with putting on golf shoes, and likewise after you're done golfing having to change back.

    Posted:
  • StanksStanks Everything I post is confrontational Members  1892WRX Points: 310Handicap: ?Posts: 1,892 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #12

    Nikes break. Footjoys are hideous. New Adidas make it look like there's a trip to the moon. Pumas got the style but they just don't grab the ground well enough. GFores look pretty ok but not for the price. Underarmour spieth 3s are still not where they should be. I haven't tried Skechers. They don't look too appealing.
    Ecco wins the bit. Looks, grip, durability, etc. Rock and roll.
    If you want a shoe that feels like a running shoe but for golf, Adidas Samba Golf shoes are flexible, fast, and work. My Footjoy Project Ms are very close but hurt the feet in the long run. I bought them too small. My goal, one day, is to get Ecco Biom Zero or hope they come back to the market. A good zero drop shoe works wonders.

    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • jmkenn0jmkenn0 Members  822WRX Points: 157Posts: 822 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #13

    You're probably in the ballpark already with Adidas boost, so maybe check out some other Adidas spikes? You could also check out the ForgedFiber? Somewhere between spiked and spikeless, and you can get boa and its boost?

    Posted:
  • neild76neild76 Members  360WRX Points: 108Posts: 360 Greens
    Joined:  #14

    On -, @Bill Broderick said:

    I'm having problems with one of my feet. The ball below the toe next to the pinky toe (the "little piggy that had none") is really tender, which gets compounded when I wear my golf spikes (Adidas Powerband Boa Boost). Pressure from one of the spikes, at the outside of the foot, seems to put more pressure on the tender spot. It's not as bad when I wear my spikeless shoes (Nike Lunar Control Vapor). But, prefer to wear spikes. I walk 99% of the time and by the end of the round, my foot ends up being very tender. I have issues with other shoes that aren't well padded as well. By far, the best shoes for me are running shoes, with their padding and soft soles.
    Can anyone recommend a spiked shoe that feels like a running shoe. I have wide feet. So, I need something that comes in a wide width. Also, the course that I play most often is always wet (it probably couldn't be built today because it would likely be considered wetlands). So, I absolutely need something that it waterproof. Thanks.

    Have you tried just removing the spike that is putting pressure on your toe? I have a pair of Adidas golf shoes and one of the spikes just hits me wrong. I took out the spike and problem solved. No issue with loss of traction.

    Posted:
  • Bill BroderickBill Broderick Members  498WRX Points: 206Posts: 498 Greens
    Joined:  #15

    On -, @neild76 said:

    Have you tried just removing the spike that is putting pressure on your toe? I have a pair of Adidas golf shoes and one of the spikes just hits me wrong. I took out the spike and problem solved. No issue with loss of traction.

    That thought hadn't even crossed my mind. That's an interesting idea. I'm going to try it and see how it works out. Thanks.

    Posted:
  • isgerriorisgerrior RIMembers  52WRX Points: 44Handicap: 8Posts: 52 Bunkers
    Joined:  #16

    There is a reason Asics are worn by all of the marathon runners. There golf shoes are fantastic. They are VERY hard to find at stores. I just ordered a few pairs around my size on amazon, and returned the ones that didnt fit. I have really bad ankles/feet. They have been amazing.

    Posted:
    Mizuno ST190
    Cobra F9 3 wood
    Ping 410 5 wood
    Callaway Apex pro 4-PW
    Volkey Wedges
    Spider
  • tharpsttharpst Members  102WRX Points: 33Handicap: 9Posts: 102 Fairways
    Joined:  #17

    My favorite golf shoes for pure comfort are the Nike Flyknit Racer G's. Not waterproof, but perfect to wear on dry days

    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • Ger21Ger21 Members  433WRX Points: 194Handicap: 10.5Posts: 433 Greens
    Joined:  #18

    On -, @tharpst said:

    My favorite golf shoes for pure comfort are the Nike Flyknit Racer G's. Not waterproof, but perfect to wear on dry days

    +1
    I just bought another pair on EBay.

    Posted:
    Bridgestone Tour B XD-7 9°- VA SLAY 65 S
    Bridgestone Tour B XD-F 15° 3w - HZRDUS Red 75 6.0
    Bridgestone Tour B XD-H 2H 18° - KBS Tour Prototype 85 S
    Nike VR Pro Blades 3-PW Dynamic Gold AMT Tour White S300 Onyx
    Yururi Tour 56 & 60, Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400 Onyx
    Grips - Iomic iXx
    Scotty Cameron Oil Can Newport
    Srixon Q Star Tour
  • TruTru Members  323WRX Points: 108Posts: 323 Greens
    Joined:  #19

    I’m a huge fan of the New Balance NBG3001. A bit more room in the toe box than most (typical for NB) and they offer wide if necessary. They’re dirt cheap compared to a lot of the competition if you know where to look. As well, I just picked up the NB Breeze for practice at the range and am very impressed with the fit and comfort. They’re spikeless but the traction is still excellent. Depending on your size they can be had for around $50. They’re not waterproof, but they’re a blessing in this AZ heat.

    Posted:
  • deadsolid...shankdeadsolid...shank ClubWRX  15241WRX Points: 1,281Posts: 15,241 ClubWRX
    Joined:  #20

    On -, @Bill Broderick said:

    On -, @Ahotrain said:

    Pumas shoes are amazing. They will run you $120-150 and honestly the life you get and the comfort it should be alot more.

    Thanks. The last I heard, Puma's run pretty narrow and there are very few models that offer a wide width. This surprised me when I read it. Back when I was a teenager (late 70's early 80's), I always wore Puma's because they were much wider than the competition. Back then, the "competition" was limited to Adidas, Converse, Nike & Pony (and there was only between 1 & 3 models for each sport made by any of them).

    Funny, same time frame and same experiences (our basketball team all wore Pony, of whom many now days should say, “who”?😀.

    I always liked the Pumas of those days as well because they were wide. I have three or four pair now and don’t find them narrow at all. Still as comfortable as ever. I would give them a try.

    Posted:

  • tbowles411tbowles411 ClubWRX  25724WRX Points: 863Handicap: GolfPosts: 25,724 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #21

    On -, @deadsolid...shank said:

    On -, @Bill Broderick said:

    On -, @Ahotrain said:

    Pumas shoes are amazing. They will run you $120-150 and honestly the life you get and the comfort it should be alot more.

    Thanks. The last I heard, Puma's run pretty narrow and there are very few models that offer a wide width. This surprised me when I read it. Back when I was a teenager (late 70's early 80's), I always wore Puma's because they were much wider than the competition. Back then, the "competition" was limited to Adidas, Converse, Nike & Pony (and there was only between 1 & 3 models for each sport made by any of them).

    Funny, same time frame and same experiences (our basketball team all wore Pony, of whom many now days should say, “who”?😀.

    I always liked the Pumas of those days as well because they were wide. I have three or four pair now and don’t find them narrow at all. Still as comfortable as ever. I would give them a try.

    I was about to post the same thing. Pony. Wow. I'm old! LOL

    Another vote for Puma. They are crazy comfortable. I had to go down in a half size or try them on first in store if you can.

    Posted:
    G410 9 Degree - Accra FX 2.0
    G410 3, 5 & 9 Woods - Accra FX 2.0
    G410 4-5 Hybrids - Accra 80i
    G410 6-UW - Accra 80i
    Glide 3.0 54WS, 58WS Accra 80i
    PING Bruzer
    PING Vault 2.0 Craz-E **Backup**
    (MY HYBRIDS, IRONS & WEDGES HAVE BEEN STOLEN BY MY SON)







  • smashdnsmashdn Let's cut them trees down. Members  2621WRX Points: 1,039Posts: 2,621 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #22

    On -, @Z1ggy16 said:

    Don't know from personal experience but Sketchers spiked shoes seem to get good reviews. I have had a pair of Sketchers SL shoes and liked them.

    I really like their spikeless varieties for what it's worth.

    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • DBLEAGLEDBLEAGLE Members  87WRX Points: 57Posts: 87 Fairways
    Joined:  #23

    I’m a fan of Footjoy Pro SL

    Posted:
  • Bill BroderickBill Broderick Members  498WRX Points: 206Posts: 498 Greens
    Joined:  #24

    After trying on a pair belonging to a friend who wears the same size as me, I ended up buying a pair of Footjoy Tour-S BOA's. I wore them on Friday with no discomfort at all. I liked them so much that I ordered a pair of the 2018 Pro SL BOA's as well.

    Posted:
  • Mikey5eMikey5e ohioUnregistered  1441WRX Points: 374Handicap: 15Posts: 1,441 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #25

    On -, @Bill Broderick said:

    After trying on a pair belonging to a friend who wears the same size as me, I ended up buying a pair of Footjoy Tour-S BOA's. I wore them on Friday with no discomfort at all. I liked them so much that I ordered a pair of the 2018 Pro SL BOA's as well.

    For me, those types of golf shoes are overkill for me. They grip so well on the ground that my ankles hurt after a round of golf. Another friend has the same issue and he had to remove some of the spikes to be able to even wear them. Now we are both a bit older, 60-ish, but nonetheless we find plenty of traction in any situation with spikeless golf shoes.

    Posted:
  • AdExecAdExec Scottsdale, AZ Members  111WRX Points: 114Handicap: 5Posts: 111 Fairways
    Joined:  #26

    Another vote for FJ Pro SL. Best grip Ive had without traditional soft spikes. As much cushion as any of the running shoe styles. You should give the Nike Air Zoom Victory Tour a try though. They seem to have a lot of bounce and cushion in them from my try-on in the store.

    Posted:
  • rollenrollen Members  132WRX Points: 60Posts: 132 Fairways
    Joined:  #27

    Another Puma recommendation. I initially bought mine since Pumas were the most comfortable for me when I was younger. The TitanTour Ignites are more comfortable than anything I have ever worn. The are generous in width in the toe area. Even though they appear as if they wouldn’t be.

    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • gleunggleung Members  78WRX Points: 68Posts: 78 Fairways
    Joined:  #28

    Nike Flyknit Racer G's are awesome!

    Posted:
  • mtiger10mtiger10 Members  350WRX Points: 119Posts: 350 Greens
    Joined:  #29

    For spiked shoes, the Footjoy Hyperflex are really comfortable. I've often worn them for walking 18 holes when I wanted more traction than spikeless Adidas shoes could provide.

    Posted:

    Ben Hogan GS53 9* with UST Helium stiff or Ping G30 9* with regular flex TFC 419D
    Ben Hogan GS53 16* with UST Helium stiff
    Titleist 816 H2 21* with stiff flex Diamana S+ Blue 70
    Taylormade M CGB 4-AW with regular flex Nippon NSPRO840
    Callaway MD3 Milled Black Wide sole wedge 56*
    Odyssey Works #7 Tank Versa with Superstroke

  • BankerBanker The SwampMembers  1172WRX Points: 186Handicap: 4Posts: 1,172 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #30

    On -, @Tru said:

    I’m a huge fan of the New Balance NBG3001. A bit more room in the toe box than most (typical for NB) and they offer wide if necessary. They’re dirt cheap compared to a lot of the competition if you know where to look. As well, I just picked up the NB Breeze for practice at the range and am very impressed with the fit and comfort. They’re spikeless but the traction is still excellent. Depending on your size they can be had for around $50. They’re not waterproof, but they’re a blessing in this AZ heat.

    How do the New Balance fit? I was looking at the minimus SL’s. Width compared to FJ?

    Posted:
    Epic Flash SZ 10.5 Phenom 60x
    G410 3 wood Accra t70x
    G410 19* hybrid KBS Hybrid Proto 95x
    G410 4-PW KBS 120 Tour
    Glide 2.0 54* ES
    Glide 2.0 58* ES
    Taylormade Spider Tour
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • armyhawk3342armyhawk3342 Members  83WRX Points: 47Posts: 83 Fairways
    Joined:  #31

    I would also suggest Puma. I haven't tried the new pwradapt ones but they have the ignite insole which is amazing I think.They also have the disc closure on most styles too. I have a couple pairs of the previous ignite shoes that Ricky still wears so once those wear out i'll probably get the newer version.

    Posted:
    Driver: Cobra F8+ (9.5*)
    Wood: Cobra F6 Baffler (17.5*)
    Hybrid: Cobra F7 (22*), Cobra F8 (25*)
    Irons: Srixon Z785 (6-PW)
    Wedges: Mizuno S18 Blue Ion (50*, 54*)
                   Taylormade Hi-Toe (60*)
    Putter: Taylormade Spider Tour Black
    Ball: Titleist AVX
2

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.