Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

Golf Spikes that feel like running shoes?

I'm having problems with one of my feet. The ball below the toe next to the pinky toe (the "little piggy that had none") is really tender, which gets compounded when I wear my golf spikes (Adidas Powerband Boa Boost). Pressure from one of the spikes, at the outside of the foot, seems to put more pressure on the tender spot. It's not as bad when I wear my spikeless shoes (Nike Lunar Control Vapor). But, prefer to wear spikes. I walk 99% of the time and by the end of the round, my foot ends up being very tender. I have issues with other shoes that aren't well padded as well. By far, the best shoes for me are running shoes, with their padding and soft soles.
Can anyone recommend a spiked shoe that feels like a running shoe. I have wide feet. So, I need something that comes in a wide width. Also, the course that I play most often is always wet (it probably couldn't be built today because it would likely be considered wetlands). So, I absolutely need something that it waterproof. Thanks.

Comments

• Z1ggy16Z1ggy16 Members Posts: 7,825 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Don't know from personal experience but Sketchers spiked shoes seem to get good reviews. I have had a pair of Sketchers SL shoes and liked them.

WITB
    OG Epic Sub Zero 9* | HZRDUS Smoke 60X
    '16 M1 Tour Issue 16* | Diamana B 70X
    '17 M1 Tour Issue 3h or GAPR Lo | Accra TZ6 M5
    P790 4i | Modus 120X
    P770 5-PW | Modus 120X
    Glide Stealth 2.0 50/10SS | Modus 120TX "Spinner" 
    Glide Stealth 2.0 54/12SS | Modus 120TX "Spinner" 
    Hi-Toe 58 | Modus 125 Wedge ( Glide Stealth 2.0 58/10SS for spring & fall)
    Bettinardi MC 360 Tour or Ardmore 2 
    ProV1x
    Sun Mountain 5.5 Bag
    Nike Tour Premiere

• Bill BroderickBill Broderick Members Posts: 243 ✭✭✭

I should have mentioned that I really like the BOA on the Adidas and would prefer to have it over laces.

• Z1ggy16Z1ggy16 Members Posts: 7,825 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Beggars can't be choosers ;)

WITB
    OG Epic Sub Zero 9* | HZRDUS Smoke 60X
    '16 M1 Tour Issue 16* | Diamana B 70X
    '17 M1 Tour Issue 3h or GAPR Lo | Accra TZ6 M5
    P790 4i | Modus 120X
    P770 5-PW | Modus 120X
    Glide Stealth 2.0 50/10SS | Modus 120TX "Spinner" 
    Glide Stealth 2.0 54/12SS | Modus 120TX "Spinner" 
    Hi-Toe 58 | Modus 125 Wedge ( Glide Stealth 2.0 58/10SS for spring & fall)
    Bettinardi MC 360 Tour or Ardmore 2 
    ProV1x
    Sun Mountain 5.5 Bag
    Nike Tour Premiere

• LeoLeo99LeoLeo99 Members Posts: 4,337 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

My spiked Gore tex Ecco are more comfortable than my spiked Sketchers. You might want to go spikeless until Mr. Pinky heals up.

@Z1ggy16 said:
    Beggars can't be choosers ;)

Fair point. But, I may as well start with my preferences and then make concessions as needed rather than conceding everything up front.

• cristphotocristphoto Members Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 31, 2019 9:40pm #7

First I would go to a quality shoe store and get both feet measured in case you have size differences. If you have different size feet I would contact Footjoy and order a pair of Icon Black shoes that fit each foot per your size. With their top of the line shoes they have a free exchange or return policy (30 or 90 days - can't remember). Like you I walk and have had ongoing tender feet issues in the past. The Icon Blacks are amazingly comfortable with their cork footbed liner yet offer great support. Plus they are waterproof. I have five pair that I've been rotating for the last few years and they look great. They're not super light (or cheap) like many of today's athletic style shoes but I don't notice any heaviness when I wear them and I'm retired. At the end of the round I don't even notice my feet which is what you want.

• AhotrainAhotrain Members Posts: 70 ✭✭

Pumas shoes are amazing. They will run you $120-150 and honestly the life you get and the comfort it should be alot more.

@Ahotrain said:
    Pumas shoes are amazing. They will run you $120-150 and honestly the life you get and the comfort it should be alot more.

Thanks. The last I heard, Puma's run pretty narrow and there are very few models that offer a wide width. This surprised me when I read it. Back when I was a teenager (late 70's early 80's), I always wore Puma's because they were much wider than the competition. Back then, the "competition" was limited to Adidas, Converse, Nike & Pony (and there was only between 1 & 3 models for each sport made by any of them).

• AhotrainAhotrain Members Posts: 70 ✭✭

I typically can't wear Nikes cause of wide feet and don't have an issue with the pumas. I have had 3 pair all fit great. Like I said that's my favorite shoe and my girlfriend hates it cause I have 4 pairs of other shoes I don't wear now

• Mikey5eMikey5e michMembers Posts: 970 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I go out and play a casual round wish some of my buddies who are higher handicap golfers I just wear my running shoes while I play. Under most normal conditions running shoes, or walking shoes whatever, should be good enough. If you slip while swinging it is usually that you are swinging wrongly. The only issue I have with some non golf shoes is that they don't look like golf shoes oftentimes, but a pair that look decent enough are not that hard to find. There's nothing like getting out of the car grabbing the clubs and not fussing with putting on golf shoes, and likewise after you're done golfing having to change back.

• jmkenn0jmkenn0 Members Posts: 761 ✭✭✭✭✭

You're probably in the ballpark already with Adidas boost, so maybe check out some other Adidas spikes? You could also check out the ForgedFiber? Somewhere between spiked and spikeless, and you can get boa and its boost?

• neild76neild76 Members Posts: 332 ✭✭✭✭

@Bill Broderick said:
    I'm having problems with one of my feet. The ball below the toe next to the pinky toe (the "little piggy that had none") is really tender, which gets compounded when I wear my golf spikes (Adidas Powerband Boa Boost). Pressure from one of the spikes, at the outside of the foot, seems to put more pressure on the tender spot. It's not as bad when I wear my spikeless shoes (Nike Lunar Control Vapor). But, prefer to wear spikes. I walk 99% of the time and by the end of the round, my foot ends up being very tender. I have issues with other shoes that aren't well padded as well. By far, the best shoes for me are running shoes, with their padding and soft soles.
    Can anyone recommend a spiked shoe that feels like a running shoe. I have wide feet. So, I need something that comes in a wide width. Also, the course that I play most often is always wet (it probably couldn't be built today because it would likely be considered wetlands). So, I absolutely need something that it waterproof. Thanks.

Have you tried just removing the spike that is putting pressure on your toe? I have a pair of Adidas golf shoes and one of the spikes just hits me wrong. I took out the spike and problem solved. No issue with loss of traction.

@neild76 said:
    Have you tried just removing the spike that is putting pressure on your toe? I have a pair of Adidas golf shoes and one of the spikes just hits me wrong. I took out the spike and problem solved. No issue with loss of traction.

That thought hadn't even crossed my mind. That's an interesting idea. I'm going to try it and see how it works out. Thanks.

• isgerriorisgerrior Members Posts: 49 ✭✭

There is a reason Asics are worn by all of the marathon runners. There golf shoes are fantastic. They are VERY hard to find at stores. I just ordered a few pairs around my size on amazon, and returned the ones that didnt fit. I have really bad ankles/feet. They have been amazing.

915 d3
    I24 sw-4
    Anser 60
    Ping Rapture DI
    Callaway xhot 3w
    Odyssey tank
  • tharpsttharpst Members Posts: 75 ✭✭✭

My favorite golf shoes for pure comfort are the Nike Flyknit Racer G's. Not waterproof, but perfect to wear on dry days

• Ger21Ger21 Members Posts: 168 ✭✭✭

@tharpst said:
    My favorite golf shoes for pure comfort are the Nike Flyknit Racer G's. Not waterproof, but perfect to wear on dry days

+1
    I just bought another pair on EBay.

Nike VR Pro LE 10.5° RIP Phenom 70S
    Nike VR Pro LE 3W RIP Phenom 80S
    Nike VR Pro LE 5W RIP Phenom 80S
    Nike VR Pro Combo 3 iron DGPRO S300
    Nike VR Pro Blades 4-PW DG S300
    Yururi Tour 56 & 60, Modus 125 Wedge Shafts
    Scotty Cameron Oil Can Newport
  • TruTru Members Posts: 268 ✭✭✭✭

I’m a huge fan of the New Balance NBG3001. A bit more room in the toe box than most (typical for NB) and they offer wide if necessary. They’re dirt cheap compared to a lot of the competition if you know where to look. As well, I just picked up the NB Breeze for practice at the range and am very impressed with the fit and comfort. They’re spikeless but the traction is still excellent. Depending on your size they can be had for around $50. They’re not waterproof, but they’re a blessing in this AZ heat.

• deadsolid...shankdeadsolid...shank ClubWRX Posts: 14,775 ClubWRX

@Bill Broderick said:

@Ahotrain said:

Thanks. The last I heard, Puma's run pretty narrow and there are very few models that offer a wide width. This surprised me when I read it. Back when I was a teenager (late 70's early 80's), I always wore Puma's because they were much wider than the competition. Back then, the "competition" was limited to Adidas, Converse, Nike & Pony (and there was only between 1 & 3 models for each sport made by any of them).

Funny, same time frame and same experiences (our basketball team all wore Pony, of whom many now days should say, “who”?😀.

I always liked the Pumas of those days as well because they were wide. I have three or four pair now and don’t find them narrow at all. Still as comfortable as ever. I would give them a try.

Titleist 910 8.5
    Titleist 910 15*
    Titleist 910H 17*
    2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
    SC GoLo
    Vokey SM5 52,58,62
  • tbowles411tbowles411 ClubWRX Posts: 25,357 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@deadsolid...shank said:

@Bill Broderick said:

@Ahotrain said:

Funny, same time frame and same experiences (our basketball team all wore Pony, of whom many now days should say, “who”?😀.

I always liked the Pumas of those days as well because they were wide. I have three or four pair now and don’t find them narrow at all. Still as comfortable as ever. I would give them a try.

I was about to post the same thing. Pony. Wow. I'm old! LOL

Another vote for Puma. They are crazy comfortable. I had to go down in a half size or try them on first in store if you can.

G410 9 Degree - Yonex Red
    G410 3, 5 & 9 Woods - Yonex Blue
    G410 4-5 Hybrids - UST Recoil
    G410 6-UW - Yonex Proprietary Iron Shafts
    Glide 2.0 54SS, 58 WS
    Glide 3.0 54ES, 58ES (Awaiting release) Yonex Proprietary Iron Shafts
    PING Bruzer
    PING Vault 2.0 Craz-E **Backup**
  • smashdnsmashdn Let's cut them trees down. Members Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Z1ggy16 said:
    Don't know from personal experience but Sketchers spiked shoes seem to get good reviews. I have had a pair of Sketchers SL shoes and liked them.

I really like their spikeless varieties for what it's worth.

• DBLEAGLEDBLEAGLE Members Posts: 79 ✭✭✭

I’m a fan of Footjoy Pro SL

After trying on a pair belonging to a friend who wears the same size as me, I ended up buying a pair of Footjoy Tour-S BOA's. I wore them on Friday with no discomfort at all. I liked them so much that I ordered a pair of the 2018 Pro SL BOA's as well.

• Mikey5eMikey5e michMembers Posts: 970 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bill Broderick said:
    After trying on a pair belonging to a friend who wears the same size as me, I ended up buying a pair of Footjoy Tour-S BOA's. I wore them on Friday with no discomfort at all. I liked them so much that I ordered a pair of the 2018 Pro SL BOA's as well.

For me, those types of golf shoes are overkill for me. They grip so well on the ground that my ankles hurt after a round of golf. Another friend has the same issue and he had to remove some of the spikes to be able to even wear them. Now we are both a bit older, 60-ish, but nonetheless we find plenty of traction in any situation with spikeless golf shoes.

• AdExecAdExec Scottsdale, AZ Members Posts: 42 ✭✭

Another vote for FJ Pro SL. Best grip Ive had without traditional soft spikes. As much cushion as any of the running shoe styles. You should give the Nike Air Zoom Victory Tour a try though. They seem to have a lot of bounce and cushion in them from my try-on in the store.

• rollenrollen Members Posts: 123 ✭✭✭

Another Puma recommendation. I initially bought mine since Pumas were the most comfortable for me when I was younger. The TitanTour Ignites are more comfortable than anything I have ever worn. The are generous in width in the toe area. Even though they appear as if they wouldn’t be.

• gleunggleung Members Posts: 77 ✭✭✭

Nike Flyknit Racer G's are awesome!

• mtiger10mtiger10 Members Posts: 275 ✭✭✭✭

For spiked shoes, the Footjoy Hyperflex are really comfortable. I've often worn them for walking 18 holes when I wanted more traction than spikeless Adidas shoes could provide.

Ping G30 9* with regular flex TFC 149D
    Titleist 917 F2 16.5* with regular flex Diamana Ltd Blue 70
    Titleist 816 H2 21* with stiff flex Diamana S+ Blue 70
    Taylormade M CGB 4-AW with regular flex Nippon NSPRO840
    Callaway MD3 Milled Black Wide sole wedge 56*
    Odyssey Works #7 Tank Versa with Superstroke

• BankerBanker The SwampMembers Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Tru said:
    I’m a huge fan of the New Balance NBG3001. A bit more room in the toe box than most (typical for NB) and they offer wide if necessary. They’re dirt cheap compared to a lot of the competition if you know where to look. As well, I just picked up the NB Breeze for practice at the range and am very impressed with the fit and comfort. They’re spikeless but the traction is still excellent. Depending on your size they can be had for around $50. They’re not waterproof, but they’re a blessing in this AZ heat.

How do the New Balance fit? I was looking at the minimus SL’s. Width compared to FJ?

Epic Flash SZ 10.5 Phenom 60x
    G410 3 wood Accra t70x
    G410 19* hybrid KBS Hybrid Proto 95x
    G410 4-PW KBS 120 Tour
    Glide 2.0 54* ES
    Glide 2.0 58* ES
    Taylormade Spider Tour
  • armyhawk3342armyhawk3342 Members Posts: 73 ✭✭

I would also suggest Puma. I haven't tried the new pwradapt ones but they have the ignite insole which is amazing I think.They also have the disc closure on most styles too. I have a couple pairs of the previous ignite shoes that Ricky still wears so once those wear out i'll probably get the newer version.

Driver: Cobra F8+ (9.5*)
    Wood: Cobra F6 Baffler (17.5*)
    Hybrid: Cobra F7 (22*), Cobra F8 (25*)
    Irons: Srixon Z785 (6-PW)
    Wedges: Mizuno S18 Blue Ion (50*, 54*)
                   Taylormade Hi-Toe (60*)
    Putter: Taylormade Spider Tour Black
    Ball: Taylormade TP5X/Titleist AVX

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights