Too many balls flooding the market?

mvhoffman

Regular, X, ERC, Soft, Hot, Distance, Feel, Spin.... 2 piece, 3 piece, 4 piece, 5 piece... higher launching, lower launching, 80-90 SS, < 80 SS, >90 SS, 100+ SS.... Left dash, and i'm sure soon to be right....

And the list goes on. Do you thing there are too many balls flooding the market? Is golf getting more complicated by the amount of ball options out there? Why are ball fittings not incorporated as part of the club fitting process since "Better players usually play only 1 type/brand of ball."

I have discovered that there are a ridiculous amount of ball options out there. I have searched for the ball that gives me a bit of everything that I prefer (feel, sound, spin, launch... and PRICE) I seemed to have found comfort with the Callaway Supersoft/Superhot balls. Even though one is 3 piece and has a little more compression, they perform relatively the same. For me, it all depends if I want the muted thud of the Supersoft or the quiet click of the Superhot. Oh, and the awesome neon matte finish of both... LOVE IT!!!

Balls... Too many options? Ball fittings?

Driver:    2021 Cobra Rad Speed Peacote 9* w Kuro Kage 60g Silver TiNi Dual-Core Shaft 

Fairway Woods: 2014 Adams Tight Lies 14° 3 Wood w Kuro Kage 65g Shaft tipped 1 inch

2015 Adams Tight Lies 22° 7 Wood w Kuro Kage 65g Shaft tipped 1 inch

Irons:  2016 Nike Vapor Fly 4-AW   

Wedges:  2017 Cleveland CBX 56°& 60°wedge              
Shafts:  Matrix Ozik Program F15 85S Graphite Shafts 4i - 60°

Grips:   Superstroke S-Tech + 2 Wraps
Putter:  Gamer -  2020 Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s Black w Superstroke Claw 1.0 grip at 35in.

Backup - Custom Built Bastain Milled Prototype w Px 6.0 shaft and Lamkin Deep Etched Cord Grip at 33in.

Ball:  Taylor Made 21' Rocketballz            Bag:  Ogio Fuse Whiskey            Glove: MG Dyna-Grip Elite             Current Shoes: True Linkswear Motion phx

In all honesty I don't find there is any confusion for me. I know what ball and type of ball works for me on the course I play 80% of the time. In general the same ball works on the other courses I play as well. I have tended to play the same ball for much of the last decade and once it was no longer available, its successor. I try other balls out of curiosity but stick with what works for me. As much as new models get hyped golf ball performance has not drastically changed IMHO.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

I think with the fitting craze come a much wider variety of golf balls, because we're each one of us a precious individual with our own individual requirements. And to a large extent, we can play just the same with a wide variety of golf balls, there really isn't a perfect ball. In my mind, its largely driven by marketing, and means very little. Find a ball you can afford and that you like, and stop looking for "perfection".

• Like 1

Too many golf balls are no different than too many clubs in the bag, cars, single malts or restaurants, etc. As a businessman, what's great about supply and demand, it will naturally level the field in every product or service category.

All that is needed from each of us is to not get confused or flabbergasted over broad choices. For that to happen it's important to conduct due diligence and determine what we want or need before shopping. The other option is to learn from women, they know how to shop without knowing what they want or getting flabbergasted. LOL

• Like 2
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

choices are a good thing, it creates more supply and keeps costs under control. Basic economics.

As far as confusion goes, a little research will go a long way, there is a lot of information out there in this day and age. In the end you have to decide what is important to you. Do you need short game spin and are you willing to pay for it? Is soft feel, distance, color important?

In the end rest assured that your score wont change that much depending on the ball you play, a quality urethane ball will help some people lower their score a bit around the green. But the ball isn't going to knock 5 strokes off of anyone's game on 99% of the courses you will play.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

Wow, mvhoffman! After looking at the new Titleist Feels and the markdown Tru softs tonight at Golf Galaxy, I was thinking about the same thing. There's way too many options and I wonder how they all survive. Although, if DSG created a yellow Gamersoft (back in the day), there would be no confusion at all, that would be a clear winner, lol.

I like the competition and the fact that you have the option to select from a wide variety of balls at different price points. I experiment a bit each year and there are quite a few balls that fit the bill for my 16 HCP game. I have been playing the TruSoft all season and will likely give the TruFeel a try next. Options like Snell and Vice are great for tour caliber ball players and there are always the top of line Titlelists, Bridgestones, Callaways and others if you choose. It's a great time for golf balls in my opinion.

• Like 1

Ball performance is a NON factor for something like 90% of the players on the planet. This is because just about every ball made will be at the USGA limit for allowable ball speed and distance, and which one to pick comes down to smaller factors like spin, feel, brand loyalty, and the like. It's the ball manufacturers and their marketing departments that are creating the confusion, trying to make their products stand out in a sea of almost identical performance.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

I don't find a lot of confusion. Everyone has a ball around 90 compression to compete with the ProV1 and 100 compression to compete with the ProV1X and some have a ball in the 80 compression range to go against the AVX. I don't think anyone is really breaking the mold, just competing in those spaces. So the amount of balls available can only help the consumer as it will drive down price. The same quality at a lower price point is something I am very interested in.

Callaway Epic Max LS 9* Fujikura Ventus Blue VeloCore 6 X
TaylorMade SIM2 15* & 19* Fujikura Ventus Blue VeloCore 7 & 8 X

Srixon ZX7 4-AW Mitsubishi MMT 105 TX

Mizuno T20 Raw 57/11@56 & 61/07@60 Mitsubishi MMT Scoring Wedge 105 TX

Evnroll ER 2.2 MidBlade Mitsubishi MMT Putter Concept 135
Titleist Pro V1x #13

For those saying too many options or endless choice is a good thing should read The Paradox of Choice.

The Paradox of Choice: Why More Is Less https://www.amazon.ca/dp/0060005696/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_65rLDbPHEKCS5

WITB: Epon, Ryoma, A-Grind, Yururi, Bettinardi
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1408766-my-bag-pic-heavy-jdm/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...-pic-heavy-jdm/[/url]

[b]Trees may be 90% air but they're 100% angry.[/b]

I think it is amazing. I haven't found a pinnacle or a top flight in the weeds in a long time, any ball I pick up ends up being pretty decent. I still game the ProV1, but after finding a couple TP5X's in various futile quests to find my own ball, I may have found one I like better.

Ping G430 Max KaiLi White 60 Stiff (9 degree)
Cobra King RAD 3 Wood Fujikura Motore X F3 Stiff (14.5 degree setting)
Mizuno CLK Hybrid (19 and 22 degree, I swap them out depending on the wind in the parking lot)

Mizuno JPX-921 Hot Metal Pro 4-5 Irons - KBS Tour Regular Flex Steel Shafts

Mizuno JPX-921 Forged 6 Iron - G Wedge - KBS Tour Regular Flex Steel Shafts 
Titleist SM9 54 and 58 
Scotty Cameron Phantom X6 CS (34")

> @Tanner25 said:

> When we say it's a bad thing. Are we really just saying we don't have the time and money to try them all. I would love to try the Maxfli Tour or Snell balls etc. But, I have plenty of Srixon's on hand that need to be lost first.

Golf has a lot of FOMO especially on forums. Someone has success with something and everyone reads it they thing man I need to try that or they blind buy. Then the general public buys into the marketing claims and do t want to miss out on the shiny new for the chance new is better

I tried AVX’s this summer and it just felt right. I tried a fitting at an event and they set me up with Bridgestone Tour B RX. Yet, when I got onto the course, the Bridgestone didn’t feel as good. I think the key is to have a consistent ball and pick up a sleeve to break out on the course to test some out.

I actually like testing different balls out. You can really feel the difference off the club.

Ok so from my experience... does golf ball make a difference? Yes it does. There is one best ball for all of us but, lets face it we dont all have the time to find it. From what ive seen golf shots with the driver seem to be the area that stands out the most with different balls. With driver shots ive seen a difference in balls like titleist velocity and lets say a callaway super soft. The velocity is definetly going further. Not to say the super soft or any other ball is bad i have a ton of super softs i actualy love the ball. I think its just what your looking for the ball to do. I know what thing the bridestone e7 straight really really does a great job staying straight and keeping misshits on

For the mean time, I found my liking in the Callaway Supersoft/Superhot... either or. I have 6 dozen emptied into a little bit and grab a handful at a time. They perform the same to me so doesn't matter which one I grab.

Driver:    2021 Cobra Rad Speed Peacote 9* w Kuro Kage 60g Silver TiNi Dual-Core Shaft 

Fairway Woods: 2014 Adams Tight Lies 14° 3 Wood w Kuro Kage 65g Shaft tipped 1 inch

Putter:  Gamer -  2020 Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s Black w Superstroke Claw 1.0 grip at 35in.

Backup - Custom Built Bastain Milled Prototype w Px 6.0 shaft and Lamkin Deep Etched Cord Grip at 33in.

Ball:  Taylor Made 21' Rocketballz            Bag:  Ogio Fuse Whiskey            Glove: MG Dyna-Grip Elite             Current Shoes: True Linkswear Motion phx

> @Tanner25 said:

> I would think they are different, 2 piece very soft on the SS and 3 piece mid-soft on the SuperHot? Are both matte?

Both matte. The SH has a higher compression than the SS but they really perform about the same

• Like 1

Years ago marketing was about “spin”, now it’s about “soft”.

We were said that more spin meant less distance and more distance is less spin. More spin = soft whereas more distance = firm.

Now most balls are soft and long, there is a plethora of names like TruSoft, UltiSoft, ERC Soft, etc however we still have those traditional names that we know from years as Z Star, Pro V1 and perhaps “B” with the 330 gone.

Fortunately there are some serious tests out there that can give us a clue about what to use based on performance and price.

Interesting thing in these days in Australia, there are good sales of top tier balls that are at the same price of mid tier balls. Also there is still a good stock of Nike golf balls but they are sold like jewellery, the RZN Platinum is priced A$ 30 (USD 20) than the most expensive tour ball in the market.

It's nice to have a wide selection of equipment, including golf balls. I do believe that eighty to ninety percent of golfers could tee up any golf ball and play just as well with it compared to the one they say is their favorite. It's probably just the single handicap and better golfers where a golf ball seems to make a difference.

• 2 weeks later...