***ATTENTION***IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT***ATTENTION***IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT***ATTENTION

Last year, in an effort to improve the capability of our forums, we switched to new software. We expected tremendous scalability and rapid customization that would significantly improve each Member's experience across multiple devices and integrate flawlessly with social media platforms.

Unfortunately, after a significant capital expense, we have decided that the length of time and the additional cost to reach our goals make this enterprise untenable.

Thus, we have made the difficult decision to transition the forums to our original software platform. We’re excited that, in the nearly two years since we began the process of our most recent switch, our original platform has been upgraded significantly, and we are confident that the reversion will not only provide the stability that we desperately needed prior to our last move but will also return to the Membership the high level of customization that made our online community so great. We have also added technical resources to the GolfWRX staff that will allow us to build custom modules and modifications that we are confident will take the forums to the next level.

We remain the world's largest online golf community, and we still hold true to our core values and mission statement as written in 2005. Bearing both of those elements in mind, being the best and offering our Members a platform that is world-class are both requirements, not options, and it is that spirit that has motivated this decision.

So, please pardon our mess over the next five days or so while we transition the forums.

A few important notes: Current content will be accessible during that time, but the forums will be READ ONLY, and you will not be able to start new threads or reply to posts. Personal Messaging is enabled but PMs sent/received from the time the board was frozen will not carry over. We know this is inconvenient, and we apologize, and we greatly appreciate GolfWRXers bearing with us through the transition.

We are very excited about starting this next chapter for GolfWRX and getting back to the high-quality Member experience we all expect as soon as possible.

2020 Callaway Mavrik drivers, fairway woods, hybrids (in-hand pics)

Comments

• Dsevans8Dsevans8 Members  335WRX Points: 88Handicap: 4Posts: 335 Greens

Surprised Callaway ended their trade in Bonus so quickly, in the past I feel it has extended much longer. Kind of a let down for all of us who haven't been fitted yet and may have considered purchasing. I would much rather order directly through them and not Golf Galaxy.... I see that TaylorMade is still offering their trade in bonus.

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • Hershey27Hershey27 Members  83WRX Points: 39Posts: 83 Fairways

Any feedback on the Max 3W vs the Standard?

Posted:
  • BinkyGolferBinkyGolfer Members  42WRX Points: 27Handicap: 14Posts: 42 Bunkers

Went for a driver fitting today. Went in with TM Sim top of my list, followed by G410 plus, ST200, Cobra SZ. Ruled out Mavrik, mainly due to looks and hating the orange.

After hitting everything the fitter asked me to at least try the Mavrik. I’m so pleased he did because WOW. The mavrik sounds and feels different to anything else (the ST200 was not far off) and actually down by the ball its a nice shape and classic looking - can’t see much orange!

The feel off the face was simply fantastic. It feel sweet, sharp and solid. The launch was ridiculous and every shot maintained its line, even on mishits where the others would go offline (my mis is a low hook, but the Mav wouldn’t turn over like some of the others).

Ended up ordering a Mav Max 10.5 with Rogue white shaft and the matching 3 wood.

Can’t wait to get it on the course!

Posted:
  • dlow206dlow206 Members  362WRX Points: 133Posts: 362 Greens

Regarding the trade-in bonus through callaway, my sales guy said he can get me the trade in bonus still.

Apparently after making 1 order, now i have a specific sales guy.

Posted:
  • SMUGamerSMUGamer Members  796WRX Points: 221Posts: 796 Golden Tee

Big message here, DO NOT decide based on looks! I did exactly the same thing awhile back. Tested everything at Club Champion EXCEPT the TS3 because I just couldn't deal with the "looks". Ended up going through thousands of dollars, multiple drivers, and ended up with the TS3 which just flat-out performs for me. I learned a valuable lesson to never judge a book by its cover! Go figure, I think we've heard that saying all our lives!! Time to listen. 🤔

Posted:
  • jeffrey rjeffrey r Members  2300WRX Points: 276Handicap: 13Posts: 2,300 Platinum Tees

Congrats. I've been demoing the standard Mav and Mav Max, and can't decide. Both really great heads. Hope to come to a conclusion this coming weekend. Curious, what is your driver swing speed, and what flex did you get fit into in the Rogue White (did you get the Rogue White 60)? I am around 90-95mph driver swing speed, and the Rogue White 60 regular flex seems to work very well in that range. I now have a Rogue White 60 stiff on hand to try as well. I suspect I might have trouble turning over the Rogue White stiff, but we shall see. Great shaft though.

Posted:
    Callaway Mavrik 10.5* Driver, Graphite Design G Series 60 R
    Callaway Big Bertha Epic 3 and 5 Woods, Accra Fx 2.0 200F M3
    Callaway Big Bertha ‘19 4 Hybrid, KBS Tour Hybrid Prototype 65 R
    Mizuno JPX 919 HM Irons 5-GW, Aerotech Steelfiber 110 R
    PXG 0311 SW (54/14) and LW (58/12), TT Elevate Tour S
    Scotty Cameron 009-M Putter

Advertisement
  • noodle3872noodle3872 Chilliwack B.C. CanadaMembers  3342WRX Points: 643Handicap: 8.3Posts: 3,342 Titanium Tees

So, today I decided to goof around with a 9° standard Mavrik at my local club while using their launch monitor. I was first to hit this head and I found it so enjoyable pulling the plastic wrapper off. Normally, 9° is too little loft for my liking but the head pro set the driver up in a very interesting fashion. To start, I had my shaft, which plays 44.75” in my Mavrik SZ, in the Mavrik head with the stock 5G weight. The club was too light for my tastes. Numbers were decent but I couldn’t feel the club. Then the head pro put a 14G in the head and the magic happened. My CHS jumped up 2 mph, launch came up 1° over my SZ, ball speed jumped 2 plus mph and spin stayed between 2300-2500 rpm. The ball only knew how to fly straight! Extra 4 yards on average carry over my SZ! I negotiated with the pro to buy the head and he allowed me to. Now I just have to figure out which head on a game by game basis. I love both heads so I can’t go wrong!

Posted:

Callaway Mavrik 9° driver Tensei Pro White 50 S Flex

Callaway Mavrik 15° fairway wood Tensei Pro Blue 60 S Flex

Callaway Mavrik 20° and 23° hybrids MMT 90 S Flex

Mizuno JPX 919 Forged 4-PW Modus3 Tour 120 S flex

Mizuno T20 Raw Wedges 50-07, 55-13 and 60-06 Modus3 125 Wedge

Odyssey Stroke Lab Ten S

Callaway Chrome Soft Triple Track

• BinkyGolferBinkyGolfer Members  42WRX Points: 27Handicap: 14Posts: 42 Bunkers

Usually around 100 mph (normal golf course swing) with my current G400, however the mav max gave me so much confidence that it wouldn’t hook and the weight was perfect that I was averaging just over 105 mph. At my S/S I found the max was much easier to launch higher and therefore carry was around 5-7 yards longer on average compared to standard. I went with the rogue white stiff 60g. Its a 70g stiff in the 3 wood.

What is your miss? The stiff definitely allowed me to release as hard as I wanted without the fear of hooking it left (right hander).

Posted:
  • jeffrey rjeffrey r Members  2300WRX Points: 276Handicap: 13Posts: 2,300 Platinum Tees

Gotcha--thx. That makes sense. Rogue White 60 stiff is probably right in your wheelhouse at 100-105mph. The 60 regular seems to be in my wheelhouse, and the 60 stiff will probably be too much for my 90-95mph swing, but we'll see. My most common miss is a block/fade, so the stiffer tip and shaft will likely do me no favors. In the end, I may just end up sticking with my Speeder Evo 661 that I am fitted for and works well also.

As an aside, here is a cautionary tale to demoing shafts out on the course without a fitter. I finally got a swing weight scale (basic golfworks one--awesome), and did some SW tests on my Mav heads with 3 primary shafts, Speeder Evo VI 661, Rogue White 60 R, and Rogue White 60 S (all playing around 44.5"). Here's a SW example, with my Mav Max 9* head, 196g total head weight (13g in back, 7g in heel). Speeder: D2; Rogue White 60 R: D4; Rogue White 60 S: D1. If I want to get down to D2 SW with the Rogue White 60 R and Mav Max, I need to drop total head weight down to 191g (which then drops Speeder down to D0 and Rogue White 60 S down to C9...).

Can't just swap shafts on the fly without it being a fool's errand, but now I know what head weights will give me apples to apples on SW.

Posted:

• BHerschbergerBHerschberger Members  202WRX Points: 66Handicap: +1.6Posts: 202 Fairways

Does anyone who has gotten their driver know the weight of their head? I got mine in and haven't been able to weigh it, but it seems a bit heavy.

Posted:

What head do you have? I have weighed my standard Mav and Mav Max heads (don't have the SZ). Standard Mav head (with weights removed) is 186g. Mav Max head (with weights removed) is 175g. Added weights will vary depending on what Callaway put in, if trying to meet a SW or just doing stock. I ordered my heads all -1" and with different shafts, so my total head weights varied (I think generally in the 191g-194g total head weight range). Fortunately, there are a lot of weights around from the Rogue era that also fit the Mav heads, to dial things in.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • BHerschbergerBHerschberger Members  202WRX Points: 66Handicap: +1.6Posts: 202 Fairways

I ordered the 9* SZ. My pro got it in late yesterday so I didn't have much time, but it came out to D5.5 with a ventus blue 6x at 45". I was thinking about cutting it down to 44.5" to get it closer to D3ish but I'm going to weigh it again today with a scale to get the exact head weight.

Posted:
  • Cruisin1966Cruisin1966 Calgary, ABClubWRX  1165WRX Points: 340Handicap: 6.7Posts: 1,165 ClubWRX
    Posted:

**Gamer Bag**
    Driver: Taylormade SIM Max @ 8º (9.5) w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S
    Fairway: Callaway Mavrik 4W @ 16.5º w/ ProjectX Evenflow Black 75S
    Hybrid: Titleist 818 H2 @ 20º w/ Atmos Blue HB TS 8S
    Irons: Miura 4-6 (TC-201), 7-PW (MB-101) w/ Mitsubishi MMT 105TX (ss*1)
    Wedges: Artisan Raw 51º, 56º, 61º
    Putter: Artisan 0117

**Retro Bag**
    Driver: Ping G LS Tec 9º
    Fairway: Titleist 915F 3W 15º
    Hybrid: Cobra Baffler Pro 2H 18º
    Irons: Taylormade RAC Forged TP CB 3-PW
    Wedges: Wilson Staff FG Tour PMP 52º; Nike VR Pro Forged Brushed Oxide Raw 58º
    Putter: Cleveland Huntington Beach 1

• freemahcfreemahc Members  317WRX Points: 95Posts: 317 Greens

Kudos to Callaway and Continental Golf for a great response time.

Headed to pick up a 9* with 60s tipped 1/2" and playing at 45". Fitted, ordered, shipped, and delivered in 4 days, wonderful stuff.

Posted:
  • noodle3872noodle3872 Chilliwack B.C. CanadaMembers  3342WRX Points: 643Handicap: 8.3Posts: 3,342 Titanium Tees

My clubheads minus adapter weigh 205G to 206G.

Posted:

Odyssey Stroke Lab Ten S

• ThinneditThinnedit Members  88WRX Points: 78Posts: 88 Fairways

My mavrik standard head weighs 187g with no weights.

Posted:
    Mavrik 9.0⁰ even flow riptide 60s
    Epic flash 3wd tensei blue CK 65s
    Mavrik Pro 4i KBS TGI 90s • Rogue Pro 5-P xp105 s300
    Strokelab Black Ten • MD4 50⁰ 54⁰ PM19 58⁰ dg 115 tour issue • Gripmasters Roo
    Hyperlite Zero • Chrome soft / ERC soft

Advertisement
  • kclayton16kclayton16 Members  30WRX Points: 41Posts: 30 Bunkers

Does anyone know the head weight of the Mavrik SZ?

Posted:

My SZ with 2G/14G and with adapter in place was 204.3G. Adapter weighs 9G.

Posted:

Odyssey Stroke Lab Ten S

• jrshelbyjrshelby Members  1530WRX Points: 302Posts: 1,530 Platinum Tees

195 grams for my Mav SZ with with the weights installed!

Posted:
    TS4 9.5° Tour AD DI 7X
    TS2 13.5° Tour AD DI 8X
    T100 4-PW, 50° MODUS Pro 130
    Special Select NP2
  • kdbama7kdbama7 Members  98WRX Points: 60Posts: 98 Fairways

The 50% trade bonus is back up on Callaway’s website.

Posted:
  • BirdieBobBirdieBob Member of the 1 iron Club! Members  4744WRX Points: 558Posts: 4,744 Titanium Tees
    Posted:

CALLAWAY Customs (Black w/Silver) Mavrik Sub Zero Driver, 9*, Accra TZ6/M5, 72g X
    CALLAWAY Mavrik Sub Zero 3+ Wood, 13.5*, Tensei Pro Blue, 70TX
    CALLAWAY Mavrik Sub Zero 3 Wood, 15*, Accra TZ6/M5, 80g X
    CALLAWAY Mavrik Sub Zero 5 Wood, 18*, Accra TZ6/M5, 90g X
    CALLAWAY Super Hybrid, 18*, NS Pro Modus Hybrid GOST, 102g X
    TAYLORMADE P790, 4, DG AMT Tour White, x100
    TAYLORMADE P-7TW, 3 - P, TW Lofts, DG AMT Tour White, x100
    VOKEY SM8 "BIRDIE BOB" CUSTOM BRUSHED STEEL, 54/10F; 58/8M, DG TI s400 ONYX
    SCOTTY CAMERON Custom BOS Torched Newport 2 Putter
    NIKE Sport Lite Carry Bag, Black
    SUN MOUNTAIN 20 Tour Series Bag, Black
    STEWART Golf X9 FOLLOW Electric Cart, Black
    GARMIN Approach Z82, GPS/Rangefinder
    GROOVEIT Wet Brush

Advertisement
  • coozapaloozacoozapalooza Members  1310WRX Points: 116Handicap: 9.3Posts: 1,310 Platinum Tees

For those of us who have tried the Mav Max, what are your thoughts?

Still a little too cold out where I'm at, but I am looking forward to giving it a shot. I have the G400 Max currently and like it, but I am always interested in trying new stuff out. I need forgiveness with the driver, and I like a driver that helps me hit it a little higher, so I thought the Max with the heavy weight in the back could be good. I am fitted to X flex shafts, so I didn't know if the Max head itself would be too light for me, but I am going to give it a shot regardless.

Posted:
    Callaway Mavrik Max 10.5* Driver
    TaylorMade 2007 Burner 18* Fairway Wood
    Titleist 816H1 23* Hybrid
    Callaway Apex 19 Smoke Irons 5-PW
    Callaway MD5 Jaws Wedges 50* 54* 58*
    Callaway PM Grind 19 64* Wedge
    Titleist Scotty Cameron California Series Fastback

You should definitely give the Mav Max a go. Really nice driver. Funnily enough, my two primary drivers are the G400 Max and the Mav Max. I was actually out with the two of them this past weekend. Darned if the G400 Max wasn't showing out for a while, and making me think that I should go with that. In the end though, I felt that I should continue with the Mav Max and give it a good run.

What I have found with the Mav Max, is that for my game, the heavier weight in the heel is preferable. It really does help the club turn over easier, and that has proven helpful for me out on the course. Mav Max launches high. 9* should be the starting point, and then see if you need to go up to the 10.5* head. I generally have my 9* +1 or +2 anyway, so between 9-11* in loft will be plenty for most of us with the Mav Max. Mav Max is very forgiving, but not idiot-proof.

You mention the Mav Max head being lightweight, but that is totally customizable. I have an extensive kit of weights from 2-18g from my regular clubs and ebay, so I can dial in swing weight however I need it. For reference, the Rogue White 60 playing at around 44.5" requires about 16-17g in added weight for D2-D3 SW. Speeder 661 playing at around 44.5" requires about 20-21g in added weight for D2-D3 SW. Right now, I have 14g in the heel and 2g in the back with the Rogue White, but I can switch that up if I need to. There are obviously a number of weight combinations you can try, either more biased like 14/2 or 12/4, or more balanced like 10/6, 8/8. Easy to try out different combos to see what works best for you.

Posted:

• coozapaloozacoozapalooza Members  1310WRX Points: 116Handicap: 9.3Posts: 1,310 Platinum Tees

Interesting, thank you for the informative reply.

I already have a tendency to draw the ball. Do you think that, even with the heavier weight in the back of the head, it might be too much draw bias for me, and perhaps the regular Mavrik will be better?

I know the easy answer is "wait until you can hit all of them and see" but **** it if I am not sitting here looking out the window at the snow on the ground counting down the days.

Posted:
    Callaway Mavrik Max 10.5* Driver
    TaylorMade 2007 Burner 18* Fairway Wood
    Titleist 816H1 23* Hybrid
    Callaway Apex 19 Smoke Irons 5-PW
    Callaway MD5 Jaws Wedges 50* 54* 58*
    Callaway PM Grind 19 64* Wedge
    Titleist Scotty Cameron California Series Fastback

With the heavier weight in the back, I don't think it is really draw-biased at all. Look, so much depends upon each of our swings. But I think you would find the heavy weight in the back to be quite neutral. On a good note, it is still not hard to turn over with the heavier weight in the back. But for those of us who don't have a natural draw swing, the heavier weight in the heel should help.

And sure, you'll need to hit the standard Mav and the Mav Max heads to see what might work for you. I actually have a 10.5* standard Mav head, but I just haven't given it a thorough run because I sort of defaulted to the Max. But the standard Mav should not be overlooked--it seemed to have better feel and sound than the Max, and is still quite forgiving.

Sorry to hear about your snow on the ground. I have had a remarkably mild/snowless winter here in NJ, which has allowed me to get out on the course almost every weekend for the past few weeks. Hope to get out again this weekend, where I'll be hitting the G400 Max and Mav Max once again.

Posted:

• MobMob Just Another Lefty IndianapolisMembers  3564WRX Points: 229Handicap: 5.5Posts: 3,564 Titanium Tees

I went to the PGA Superstore today and hit the Mavrik SZ fwy vs. my Epic Flash SZ fwy. They performed very similarly overall; both are great clubs. Ballspeed was consistently 2 mph faster and 5 yards longer with the Mavrik, but the numbers were otherwise very similar. I wasn't going to buy it, but they had the additional 50% trade in bonus, so I traded in 4 clubs, and ended up paying $37; this is with the upgraded GD AD VR shaft. Looking forward to it.

Posted:
    Cobra SZ Tour Length 9.0 with Ventus Black 60 stiff shaft
    Callaway Mavrik SZ 13.5 degree with GD Tour AD VR 75 stiff
    Callaway Super Hybrid 17 degree with Tensei Pro Orange 80 stiff shaft
    Callaway Super Hybrid 23 degree with Tensei Pro Orange 80 stiff shaft
    TM P790 5-P with Fujikura Pro 95i shaft stiff tour spec
    Ping Glide 2.0 raw 50 and 54 degree wedge 
    PM19 60 degree raw wedge
    TM Spider X Navy Blue 35 inch with white racing stripe

Advertisement
  • Radeon962Radeon962 ClubWRX  2255WRX Points: 280Posts: 2,255 ClubWRX

My Epic Flash got wind that my Mavrik Max arrives Friday. She finally believes she can be replaced so just to totally mess with me the EF had a good day at the range hitting some balls today at Carl’s Golfland.

Best swing of the day leaves me wondering if the Max will be up to the challenge. Switched over to a Mitsubishi Tensei Pro White 50 from a PX Even Flow Blue 65 and there may be something extra in the Pro White.

Posted:

Epic Flash is a heck of a driver, but putting aside the performance (which I prefer the Mav Max), once you feel and hear the improvement in the Mav Max, I don’t know how you’ll be able to go back to the Epic Flash. My Epic Flash is gone already.

Let us know what you think when your Mav Max arrives. What loft did you get? And be sure to try the heavier weight in both the heel and the back. I have come to prefer the heavier weight in the heel.

Posted:

• Radeon962Radeon962 ClubWRX  2255WRX Points: 280Posts: 2,255 ClubWRX
    Posted:

Advertisement

Nice. I have both 9* and 10.5* Mav Max heads. Based on course-time, I am leaning 9*. Even the 9* launches easily, and I have found that +1 N works great with the heavier weight in the heel. But planning on hitting both heads on the Trackman this coming weekend to get some numbers. Let us know what you think when you get to hit yours.

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.