Best 3 woods off the deck.

Minarets

I am currently not looking for a 3 wood off the tee. My driver is my most confident club. However, i do not currently have any woods. I play a 17° PXG 0317 hybrid as my 225/230 club. I can't keep up on the par 5s. I'm a 6.6 Hcp and I typically lay up on par 5s to a distance im comfy with. I'm not looking to buy a new $250 plus 3 wood. Looking for a used or a few year old 3 wood. The m2 2016 feels great to me but just have a hard time finding one in good condition to buy. I love it and like hitting it off the deck.

i kind of want to buy the TEE EXS but can't decide if 13.5 or 15 is better. I'm not real long. Want the distance of the 13.5 but am afraid i won't be able to get the height that I need. I love the Hzrdus smoke shafts (my epic flash sz driver has this ) and tensi blue ( that are in my PXG hybrids) are dead straight and do get the ball up.

any suggestions?

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

No adjustability in that one, right? What does the max do that the regular doesn't not? More MOI? Just easier to hit?

i really just don't want to spend $250 on a wood right now. That's why I'm looking for a few years older clubs.

If you want great 3 woods you can get for little money, go back a series and look at Cobra. The only Cobra club I have in my bag is for precisely the reason you list: Hitting it off the deck. Bought a F9 standard 3 with Atmos Blue 7S and launched it fine off turf even at stock 14.5 degree standard setting. I changed it to 15.5 just for fun and it works off any lie. Might go even longer. The rails are subtle on this model and it for me has been like magic. Some like the smaller Tour model which I have never tried, but this one is only 165cc or so and it is a breeze off the ground or tee. I play a Ping driver and Callaway as other fairways, but the Cobra holds its spot. I’d probably like the 5 wood too if i ever tried it.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

Titleist 917 F2 has been a monster of the deck for me with an Adila Rouge Silver 110. I can get it high in the air and land it soft on par 5s. It’s also my go to off the tee for tight fairways. I got it off Callaway Pre-owned earlier this year for under $100 during a sale. I bet you could get a similar price on eBay too.

Correct, no adjustability. Callaway designed the Max line to be easier to elevate off the ground. One of the hallmarks is that designed the leading edge to sit closer to the ground.

another one to maybe consider is the epic flash. I found it fairly easy to hit and elevate, even though I’m not a particularly high ball hitter with fw’s. I think cpo is running some sort of 30% off deal or something like that so they can be had for a song.

If you want a GREAT 3wd for cheap, get you a Tour Edge Exotics XCG4. Titanium face, low profile, easy to hit off the deck, and long! Wish I still had mine. Closest thing I’ve found to it is my Ping G25 4wd.

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

I think you kind of talked me into this one. I was pretty dead set on TEE EXS but was disappointed in no adjustability. I really like the F9 13-16 adjustability. Not that I will move it much but when looking to fit a distance this kind of thing helps. The rails kind of make sense to me too and since I only really care about off the deck I like this.

If you like a shallower head, look for a Cobra LTD.

• Like 1

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

There are a ton of great fairways. I am big on Callaway and Titleist fairways. Cobra is rIght there, no joke, but cheaper. I was seeing some great prices on new and barely used. There are plenty of others on here who will vouch for their ease off turf and performance in general. And while the F9 3 woods come in two sizes, the bigger one (standard) is not big compared to other brands. One more thing I’ll mention is the sound is the best of any club I have. My playing partners have commented on how great it sounds.

I have to have a 3 wood I can hit off the deck — with ease, or why bother? — or tee box, but obviously off the deck has to come first. I carried a Callaway Razr X Black for so long because it was reliable off the deck.

I was skeptical of the Cobra rails. Well, the club works. Is it the rails? You don’t even feel them. But you know you can get the slight downward angle you need and let it ride and the club launches it. Probably as much a mental benefit as anything but that’s OK. It frees me up to relax and let the club swing and that’s not a bad swing thought with a fairway metal. I don’t know if you will love it or not but I do not believe you’ll find it difficult to hit. Pick out the right shaft. I started with an blue Atmos 7 reg and then went to the stiff. Could probably have gone with the tour spec stiff but I like the touch higher torque/feel of the standard Atmos. Getting nice results so leaving it alone.

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

Everyone so far pretty much nailed it. The two that I always turn to is Titleist and Cobra. There are some great deals to be had for 915, 917 models as well as F8, F9. Another one to keep an eye on that is low profile and easy to hit from the deck is ping g410. Good luck!

• Like 1

Mizuno   STZ 230 9.5*   Tensei Raw White 65x

Taylormade   Tour Issue Stealth  3 HL Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5

Taylormade   Stealth+ 5w   Diamana OG Kai’Li 70x  

Wilson   Staff CB 7-P / D9 Forged 5-6  Modus 120x

Vokey   Sm8 50, Sm10 54s bent to 55, Sm10 60s all custom ground 

Bettinardi  Custom BB46

Srixon Z Star 💎  OR   Bridgestone Tour B X 

Appreciate it but I need the lower lofted for increased distance. With my swing speed I'm searching for more distance.

thanks for the offer. Good luck with the Sim.

TEE EXS series is great and looooooong. You won't need the 13.5*, get the 15*. I love them so much I bought the new EXS220 and it is sick.

• Like 1

PXG 0211 Driver  Tensei 1K Pro White X-stiff

PXG 0311 GEN5   3 Wood 1K Pro White X-stiff

PXG 0311 XF 22* hybrid Tensei AV Raw White 75 XStiff

Srixon Z585 6 thru P KBS C-taper S+

Three Luck Sky Dream Jump Limited Forged 115  48*  True Temper Dynamic Tour Issue Onyx

Three Luck Sky Dream Jump Limited Forged 115  52*  True Temper Dynamic Tour Issue Onyx

Kyoei KK RRC 56* wedge True Temper Dynamic Tour Issue Onyx

Vega VW-06 brushed 60* FST KBS Tour 105

Piretti Elite Black Cortino  KBS CT Tour Putter shaft  

I haven't tried the Mavrik yet but the Epic Flash is pretty good. Knocked out a FW I had in there since 2005...

Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
Callaway Jaws Raw 54.10S / 58.8Z
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

Outlaw Golf Association #21

i tried the mavrik sub zero 13.5* and it's a beast. Literally a driver off the deck, so too long for my liking. I ended up with the 15*.

The sub zero is supposedly lower launching and lower spinning than then others, but I was able to hit off the deck better than the other offerings, which was what i was shopping for. I actually traded in a TM sim max 3 wood for it.

I know you said you're not really in the market for anything new, but I'd honestly try them all out and see what works for you. A lot of different options out there from sole design, rails, weighting, adjustability, and even different leading edges like the mavrik line of fairway woods.

Happy hunting!

• Like 1

Do you like your PXG hybrid? If so, try the PXG GEN2 0341X, 15* 3 wood. Currently on sale for $275 (try discountdansgolf.com for a quote, maybe free ship/sales tax).

https://www.pxg.com/en-us/clubs/fairway-woods

• Like 1

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0 / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV Raw White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG GEN5 0311X, Black Label Elite, 22*, Accra TZFive, 105DI, M5

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 4 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

im very please with my rogue sub zero. they make a 13.5 degree as well. but same as maverick. no adjustability

Taylormade Sim 9.0° Diamana ZF 60 stiff

Taylormade Sim Ti 15° Diamana ZF 70 stiff

Cobra F7 4-5 Ti 18.5° Diamana Kai'li 80 stiff

Ping G25 Hybrid 23° Kbs C-Taper Lite stiff 

Bridgestone Tour-B X-CB 5-PW Project X LZ 6.0

Cobra MiM Black 50°v, 56°v, 60°w Kbs Hi-REV 2.0 125 stiff 

Maltby Ptm-1

Srixon Z-Star 

Titleist Players 5 Stand Bag

Bagboy Nitron 

Hmm Gen 1 PXG 0314x is $95 (plus $60 for shipping)

Another vote for Cobra, F8 3 wood to be specific. It's become automatic for me off the tee or off the deck.

Cobra Aerojet 10.5 +1.5 Mitsubishi Kai'li S
Cobra LTDx 5w PX Hzrdus green 5.5

Cobra King Utility 20.5 Elements Chrome S 20.5

Mizuno 243 5-P DG S200
Corey Paul 52, 56, 60 
Mizuno OMOI 3 black 35"
Emeritus set:  Mizuno MP20 HMB 5, MMC 6-8, MP 9-P KBS C-taper Lite R 

I have this weird affinity for finding new old stock of 3 woods and 4 irons. As of recently for me, the Mizuno ST190 TS is an absolute monster. The atmos tourspec black shaft that comes with it is so smooth and I have hit shots from the fairway with that thing that I never have before. I used to be all about my Titleist 915 3 wood, but i think the Mizuno has kicked it out of the bag.

Take advantage of the fact that nobody gives Mizuno woods the time of day and pick one up on Ebay for cheap. The ST190 and the new ST200 are power houses and you can get the ST190 for under $100 probably.

With today's clubs and the CoG being lower your maximum distance is likely to be with a 15* when hitting it off of the deck. You probably will not get any longer distance with a 13.5* loft three wood off of the deck than you will with a 15* due to not enough SS to generate enough spin to keep the ball in the air with a low loft like 13.5 off of the deck.

• Like 1
  • Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - PW Ping BluePrint S - Shaft testing
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

As several other astute members have posted above, you can't go wrong with Cobra F7, F8 or F9 fairway woods. If you struggle to hit a 3W off the deck you owe it to yourself to test a model with the baffler rails, it's the only 3W I've ever trusted off the deck! The rails might just be placebo but I swear it gives more forgiveness with steeper attack angles or poor lies.

For reference I have a driver SS of 110mph. I use an F7 @14.5 degree setting, 1 inch shorter than standard. Trackman average 250 off the deck with 230 carry.

For additional reference, popular YouTuber Rick Shiels still bags this 3W. And he gets all the new models for free from every major OEM each year. That should tell you something.