Ping G400 Drivers

GolfWRX

I picked up a G400 driver and 3 wood from a member here that his buddy played 1 round for $ 450 bucks with the stock CB Alta shaft and that doesn't work

for me so I put Aldila Rogue shafts in both . The G400 performed well but when the Max launched I sold it and bought a Max and it's the most forgiving driver

I have ever owned. The sound isn't an issue and although it's louder than the G400 it's on par with my G & G25 so I guess I'm used to it.

Titleist TSi3  ,Ventus Blue 6S  Velocore

Ping G425 14.5  Fairway ,Tensei  AV Orange 75

Ping G425 17.5 Fairway  ,Tensei  CK Orange 75

Ping Anser 23 degree Hybrid

OnOff 2015 Kuro Irons ,Nippon Modus Tour 120

Scratch 50 ,54,58 Wedges  ,Nippon WV 115 Wedge Shafts

Scotty Cameron Champions Choice Newport  2+ 

Titleist Pro V1x

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't read so much positive buzz about a driver since the 2016 M2!! The G400 line seems to be a winner with a model to suit every player. I am itching to buy something new and am thinking G400. I dont have a place to compare to my Cobra F7 to the G400. Has anyone compared or switched from the F7 to the G400? Is it worth the upgrade? Any comments would be appreciated.

I haven't read so much positive buzz about a driver since the 2016 M2!! The G400 line seems to be a winner with a model to suit every player. I am itching to buy something new and am thinking G400. I dont have a place to compare to my Cobra F7 to the G400. Has anyone compared or switched from the F7 to the G400? Is it worth the upgrade? Any comments would be appreciated.

I switched from the F7 to the G400 Max. The Max flies the ball higher, longer and straighter - it's without a doubt the most forgiving driver that I've ever owned. I liked the F7 driver but the G400 Max just takes it to the next level.

What's in my Ping Pioneer Bag

Ping G400 Max 10.5˚, Alta CB 55 S-Flex

Ping G400 5w, 7w, Alta CB 65 R-Flex
Ping G400 5h, 6h, Alta CB 70 R-Flex

Callaway Apex CF16 7-PW, UST Recoil 660 F3 R-Flex

Titleist Vokey Tour Chrome SM8 50.12F, 54.12D, 58.10S, Mitsubishi Tensei Pro AM2 Red R-Flex

TaylorMade Hi-Toe 64˚ Wedge, Recoil ES 760 F3

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1 34”/74˚ Black with Custom 1+28 Sightlines, B.G.T. Stability Tour Black shaft w/ LAB Press OG 3.0 Grip

Srixon Z-Star XV Yellow | Srixon Q-Star Tour Divide Orange/Yellow, Seamus Headcovers

Callaway Chrome Soft #1 Lost Ball on Tour - Mark Crossfield

I switched from the F7 to the G400 Max. The Max flies the ball higher, longer and straighter - it's without a doubt the most forgiving driver that I've ever owned. I liked the F7 driver but the G400 Max just takes it to the next level.

I’m with you, I had the standard 400, got F8+ and it was much better than than 400, but got fit for a rogue and it was longer than cobra and almost as forgiving, for heck of it I was asked to try the Max 400 and all other drivers gone now I love the Max. Only reason I hesitated first time getting a Max 400 was reviews called it a slice machine, but I find same results as you. Matter of fact I went with 7 wood and 4 hybrid and 3 wood. If you ever get a chance try the 7 wood, so easy to hit off deck, all have stock CB alta shaft.

Just got out on the course with my G400 Max last night for the first time. This is the first driver I have been fitted for. I have previously used a Nike Vapor Fly Pro and Cobra Fly-Z.

It was amazing. I didn't have any mind blowing drives distance wise, but I could not miss a fairway. Distance was really good even on my bad drives. I hit 2 drives on a hole last night. First one right down the middle. It was pretty late to the second one I did not see at all. Didn't feel like a very good strike. Drive up and it is in the 1st cut of rough 5 yards behind my first ball.

• 2 weeks later...

Deep into singles match play at my club now and mainly due to my driving stats! I just keep finding fairways or just off deep and pressure inducing in match play. Love this driver. Honestly almost no wild shots or surprise bad shots, not sexy I understand but that stability is eye opening once you have it and not just honeymoon period performance.

Been having a battle with my Max and a 2016 M1.... I will say, when the M1 is struck well, it's really impressive... BUT, overall the Max is impressive, ALL the time. I'm not a super huge fan of how busy the crown is but it is performing so I can't knock it too much for all that. The regular G400 was good for me, too, but the Max is as good, with more forgiveness.... pretty awesome.

Titleist TSr2 10*  GD UB 6s

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Srixon ZX7 mkii 4-7, Z-Forged ii 8-P KBS CTL 110

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

Been having a battle with my Max and a 2016 M1.... I will say, when the M1 is struck well, it's really impressive... BUT, overall the Max is impressive, ALL the time. I'm not a super huge fan of how busy the crown is but it is performing so I can't knock it too much for all that. The regular G400 was good for me, too, but the Max is as good, with more forgiveness.... pretty awesome.

I'll say other drivers will have that one monster omg driver here and there but also have the wild crazy miss shots as well. The only driver I found similar in dispersion was the 917 but much shorter with misses; misses with 400 lst and max were in play and relatively long for a miss, that's what other clubs i have tested lacked as well as equal directional consistency. 917 miss is straight but short, the center hit is only a little behind tho so 917 is best in a while but new Titleist might catch up

I'll say other drivers will have that one monster omg driver here and there but also have the wild crazy miss shots as well. The only driver I found similar in dispersion was the 917 but much shorter with misses; misses with 400 lst and max were in play and relatively long for a miss, that's what other clubs i have tested lacked as well as equal directional consistency. 917 miss is straight but short, the center hit is only a little behind tho so 917 is best in a while but new Titleist might catch up

I could not agree more... The 917 D3 was just as good as the regular G400, for me, really could have gamed either one, left both to try out a 2016 M2 which I do not see the love that everyone else sees.... I may pick up another D3 with the D+ 70 if I can find one in good shape. Beautiful looking driver that really performs. The D2 was good but I got those short misses you mentioned.... Tough for anything to match the performance of the MAX, though.

Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

I could not agree more... The 917 D3 was just as good as the regular G400, for me, really could have gamed either one, left both to try out a 2016 M2 which I do not see the love that everyone else sees.... I may pick up another D3 with the D+ 70 if I can find one in good shape. Beautiful looking driver that really performs. The D2 was good but I got those short misses you mentioned.... Tough for anything to match the performance of the MAX, though.

Funnily enough I just sold my 917 D2 for that very reason.

I've never had a driver that gave me so much confidence that it would go where I wanted it to but in the end the patchy distance became an issue. I always felt like I could aim for tight landing zones but was never confident if I had to carry something.

I sold my 917 with the idea I was going to buy a G400 LST but then I got thinking about the Max. I've read a few reviews that seem to suggest the Max is slightly draw biased and sits just a touch closed. Can anyone confirm or deny that? My miss is nearly always left so anything that points left at all just doesn't work for me. I've hit a G400 LST and quite liked the way it sat and numbers were pretty good but the extra forgiveness of the Max is very tempting.

Any 115/SS guys hit the Kuro in X with the G400 or LST, keen to hear how it works for you?

• Ping G400 9* Fujikura Speeder 661 X (+16g head weight)
  • Tour Edge Exotics CB3 Tour 18*, True Temper Bi Matrix RXi X 
  • Adams Idea A7 19* & 22* UST V2 Hybrid X +0.5'
  • Mizuno MP20 HMB 4i KBS C-Taper 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Mizuno MP20 MMC 5-7 Nippon Modus 3 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Mizuno MP20 MB 8-PW Nippon Modus 3 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Cleveland RTX3 V-MG 50* TT S400 +0.5'
  • Nike Engage Raw 54* TT S400 +0.5'
  • Cleveland RTX 588 Rotex 2.0 60* TT S400 +0.5'
  • EVNROLL 2.2 35' Super Stroke GTR 1.0

Funnily enough I just sold my 917 D2 for that very reason.

I've never had a driver that gave me so much confidence that it would go where I wanted it to but in the end the patchy distance became an issue. I always felt like I could aim for tight landing zones but was never confident if I had to carry something.

I sold my 917 with the idea I was going to buy a G400 LST but then I got thinking about the Max. I've read a few reviews that seem to suggest the Max is slightly draw biased and sits just a touch closed. Can anyone confirm or deny that? My miss is nearly always left so anything that points left at all just doesn't work for me. I've hit a G400 LST and quite liked the way it sat and numbers were pretty good but the extra forgiveness of the Max is very tempting.

Highlighted is exactly my miss as well. Often enough, while compensating, i will hit a big push fade.

I got the Max head and put the KK DC XT in it with some hesitation around the head being draw biased and that i'd hook this thing out of the ballpark.

In the few rounds that i have played, havent hit a single pull hook. This driver, even on bad mishits just kinda wants to go straight in most cases.

I am blown away at how far the mishits are travelling

I don’t believe the Max is draw biased. I think the LS is slightly fade biased. I miss left but my preferred shape is a draw, I’ll take the over cooked miss left over the block right I was getting with the LS at times because I am aimed for it. I also hit the longest drive of my life yesterday with the Max.

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

Same with the regular G400 for me.... pull hooks would creep in far to often. With the Max, they are just about non existent and if I do hit one, its a REALLY bad swing. I don't think the MAX is draw biased at all... It looks like it sits pretty neutral to me.

Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

Any 115/SS guys hit the Kuro in X with the G400 or LST, keen to hear how it works for you?

I have this setup in this swing speed and I love it. Very consistent for me. 10* head digitally lofted @9.5. No idea on spin numbers as i ordered the X without hitting it as thr shop didnt have that shaft to demo.

I have this setup in this swing speed and I love it. Very consistent for me. 10* head digitally lofted @9.5. No idea on spin numbers as i ordered the X without hitting it as thr shop didnt have that shaft to demo.

Good to hear, is this in the G400 or the LST?

Does it give mid launch or do you find in the X that it launches lower?

• Ping G400 9* Fujikura Speeder 661 X (+16g head weight)
  • Tour Edge Exotics CB3 Tour 18*, True Temper Bi Matrix RXi X 
  • Adams Idea A7 19* & 22* UST V2 Hybrid X +0.5'
  • Mizuno MP20 HMB 4i KBS C-Taper 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Mizuno MP20 MMC 5-7 Nippon Modus 3 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Mizuno MP20 MB 8-PW Nippon Modus 3 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Cleveland RTX3 V-MG 50* TT S400 +0.5'
  • Nike Engage Raw 54* TT S400 +0.5'
  • Cleveland RTX 588 Rotex 2.0 60* TT S400 +0.5'
  • EVNROLL 2.2 35' Super Stroke GTR 1.0

I picked up a 10* G400 LST for a great price on the bay. I hit it with a Ping Tour 60 Stiff shaft and a Diamana B series 60X. Here are a few thoughts thus far.

1) the sound/acoustics of this driver is really nice. Much better than the G30 and G series. I really liked it.

2) It launches surprisingly high. I know its a 10* but so is my Rogue (9* tuned up to 10*). It launches much higher than the Rogue and peak height is also much higher. I experienced this with both shafts.

3) It flies very straight and is very forgiving for a smaller, lower spinning head. Forgiveness seemed on par with the Rogue.

4) It was longer than my Rogue on several drives by 5-10 yards. However, several drives were around my usual distance. This is probably more me than the driver.

I am going to take it out again today with my Tensei Pro Orange V2 and a Diamana W series to see if I can get the launch down a tad. I'll report my findings soon.

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 6X

PXG Gen 5 0311 15* - Aldila Tour Blue 75X

PXG  Gen 5 0311 19* - Aldila Tour Blue 85X

PXG 0311T Gen 5 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

I had KK XT Tx and the KKDC Tx model they were nice. But I got a Tensei ProOrange V3 Tx just blew the KK's away for me. I swing in the upper teens

Titleist  TSi2 8.0 TPT 14.5 LKP LT LW 
Ping G400 14.5* TPT 15 LKP LT LW 

Ping i210 4-PW TT Elevate Tour X
Cleveland tour raw 52, 56, 60 DG x100
Byron Morgan- HG-DH89
Titleist PV1x
Jones Utility Trouper-Carry
Ogio Silencer Alphard E-wheels

Talking to the Ping rep at a local demo day, the demand for G400s is unbelievable. Love when Ping is #1.

Curious if he gave you any indication of ranking as far as demand among the different models

No specific models

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

I had KK XT Tx and the KKDC Tx model they were nice. But I got a Tensei ProOrange V3 Tx just blew the KK's away for me. I swing in the upper teens

I swing in the 112-114 range and had a KK DC XT TX 70 in my G400 LST for a while. I liked it and played it for a few months but recently switched to the AD IZ which I seem to hit more accurately. Ball speed, launch and spin were great with the KK DC XT though.

Have been loving my LST with tour 65 shaft. Just bought an x flex shaft to experiment with. Wanting to go a bit shorter but dont want to loose the weight and play around with head weights.

Taylormade Sim 9.0° Diamana ZF 60 stiff

Taylormade Sim Ti 15° Diamana ZF 70 stiff

Cobra F7 4-5 Ti 18.5° Diamana Kai'li 80 stiff

Ping G25 Hybrid 23° Kbs C-Taper Lite stiff 

Bridgestone Tour-B X-CB 5-PW Project X LZ 6.0

Cobra MiM Black 50°v, 56°v, 60°w Kbs Hi-REV 2.0 125 stiff 

Maltby Ptm-1

Srixon Z-Star 

Titleist Players 5 Stand Bag

Bagboy Nitron 

After being a Cobra loyalist for years (because they worked) I switched to the G400 Max. Much more forgiving than my LTD and better distance on Trackman and on course. I don't change drivers on a whim so this was a big move for me.

What ended up causing the change was I wanted to try a counter balanced shaft, so I demo'd the G400 with Alta CB and liked it from the start. Then decided to do a full fitting to make sure I was making the right choice. Even with a CB shaft in my LTD the G400 beat it out by a good amount.