Ping G400 Drivers

GolfWRX

I got some Titleist Velocity to hit on the monitor while working on releasing the club. I like the numbers better, but launch and spin is a little high. I’ll try a lower launching shaft probably before I sell it.

Ping G Elements Chrome 5F4
Srixon F65 17 Stock Stiff

Ben Hogan VKTR+ 18 Stock Recoil

Titleist AP2 716 DG SL TI S300 4-PW

Titleist SM5 Tour Chrome 50/08 F, 54/10 M and SM7 58/14 K Grind S300

Taylormade Ghost Tour Black Indy

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got some Titleist Velocity to hit on the monitor while working on releasing the club. I like the numbers better, but launch and spin is a little high. I’ll try a lower launching shaft probably before I sell it.

LST head will bring it down

Nike Tour Premiere
Nike TW13
Jordan Flight Runner
Ecco Biom Hybrid
Nike TW14 Masters 
Nike React Vapor 2
Nike AM97

Sim Max driver
M6 3, 5 woods
Vokey SM7 wedges
Scotty Fastback T22

• 2 months later...

I decided to upgrade my G30 to a G400 after attending the Pete Carlson demo days while I was in the Palm Springs area over the winter. On the sim at the PGA S/S, I gained approx. 2-3 mph (S/S 108 mph) and was hitting them nice and straight or with a baby draw. Decided to buy the G400 and installed my tour Ad Di-6S into the head and really liked the new driver but didn't care for the sound so I stuffed about 30 feet of Walmart wool into the head, which helped considerably and got 4-5 rounds in with the new club down south.

When I got back home I found my S/W was at D-7, so I fished out about 12-15 feet of wool and got the S/W down to < D-4 and still liked the sound. I've got 6 rounds in on my home course and today i hit two of my longest drives ever, 279 & 282 based on my Garmin S5. I'm hoping to beat those numbers over the course of the hot summer.

I really don't know what Ping could do to gain anymore distance or improve on the G400 head, it's the best driver I've ever owned.

I'm curious if the new Mitsubishi Tensei CK PRO Orange 60 in a TX shaft is worth the upgrade, anyone here gaming this combo ?

Cheers

David

Ping G430 10k - 10.5° Driver Tour Chrome 2.0 65 or Ventus Blue 6-S Velo

Ping G430 Max 15° 3 Wood - Tour Chrome 2.0 65 S or Ad Di8-S
Ping G430 Max 21° 7 Wood - Tour Chrome 2.0 75 S

Ping G430’s, 4-P/W - UST Recoil ES 780 F4-S

Ping G430 - 45° & 50° - UST Recoil 95's F4-S

Ping Glide Pro 56° - UST Recoil 95's F4-S

Odyssey Versa Jailbird 380 Limited Edition Putter

Ping DLX Cart Bag

V1 Sport Push Cart - Garmin Approach G80

Hit the g400 and loved it with the hzdus shaft.

Would be between the m3 and g400 for me

Callaway triple Diamond paradym 9*- hulk 60tx 

Callaway paradym triple diamond - hulk 70tx 

Titleist TSi3 20* hybrid Matrix Black Tie 90x 
Srixon zx7mkii 456 / ZForgedii 789P- MMT 125tx 
Cleveland RTX6 50/54/ S400 TI Onyx 
Vokey Wedgeworks 60* V-grind 
Tri-hot double wide 

Hit the max and the lst. The max is big looking to my eye but super forgiving. It does hit the ball higher but I'm a high ball hitter so not exactly for me. The spin was low for what I expected at 2300 while lst was at 2050 and about a degree and a half lower flight. The left was a touch lower with lst 8.5 and max was at 9 so that's 100ish rpms there. The max is awesome and will fill many bags as a fairway finding bomber. 400 and lst have places in our bags too, I like the smaller head with some workability and super forgiveness all things considered

Just had a driver fitting and the end results were that he recommended I get the G400 SFT and go lighter weight on the shaft compared to what I was using. The Callaway heads all hit to low so launch angle was not good and spun more which is also not good. I also seem to fade everything but the G400 was better for me launch wise and feel but I didn't hit the SFT head as he didn't have one in stock but said it would help some with the fades I am getting to help increase distance!

So all my Cally heads/shafts are being replaced!

So you are buying a head that you didn't actually get to hit at your fitting? Might want to try to find one to hit first.

Ping G425 Max 9*, Aldila Rogue White 70s

Titleist TS3 4 wood, Diamana Kal’li 70s

New Level 902 PD, PX 6.5

Mizuno S18 50*, PX 6.5

Cleveland CBX2 54*, DG s400 TI

Callaway MD4 58*, DG s400 

Odyssey White Hot OG 7CH

I decided to upgrade my G30 to a G400 after attending the Pete Carlson demo days while I was in the Palm Springs area over the winter. On the sim at the PGA S/S, I gained approx. 2-3 mph (S/S 108 mph) and was hitting them nice and straight or with a baby draw. Decided to buy the G400 and installed my tour Ad Di-6S into the head and really liked the new driver but didn't care for the sound so I stuffed about 30 feet of Walmart wool into the head, which helped considerably and got 4-5 rounds in with the new club down south.

When I got back home I found my S/W was at D-7, so I fished out about 12-15 feet of wool and got the S/W down to < D-4 and still liked the sound. I've got 6 rounds in on my home course and today i hit two of my longest drives ever, 279 & 282 based on my Garmin S5. I'm hoping to beat those numbers over the course of the hot summer.

I really don't know what Ping could do to gain anymore distance or improve on the G400 head, it's the best driver I've ever owned.

I'm curious if the new Mitsubishi Tensei CK PRO Orange 60 in a TX shaft is worth the upgrade, anyone here gaming this combo ?

Cheers

David

By any chance did you demo the g400 with stock Alta? And if so, how was spin/ball flight affected when you installed your DI-6? I’ve got one coming with stock Alta but also have a DI-6 I was considering putting in if things go south with the Alta.

Also, did you maybe get the gmax? Because I found the regular G400 to be one of the more muted sounding drivers on the market currently, while the max, for me, was more similar sounding to its G predecessors.

So you are buying a head that you didn't actually get to hit at your fitting? Might want to try to find one to hit first.

Yeah I asked the guy about that and he said that the only difference in the one I hit and this SFT head was that the SFT head is draw biased which would help with my fade somwhat. I did call yesterday and ask him if he could order one in so I could hit it before I purchased on the Launch Monitor so we could see how it actually goes! I too told him I was reluctant to buy one I haven't hit during our fitting!

Cheers

David

By any chance did you demo the g400 with stock Alta? And if so, how was spin/ball flight affected when you installed your DI-6? I've got one coming with stock Alta but also have a DI-6 I was considering putting in if things go south with the Alta.

Also, did you maybe get the gmax? Because I found the regular G400 to be one of the more muted sounding drivers on the market currently, while the max, for me, was more similar sounding to its G predecessors.

Hi .... I took my G30 SFTec/Di6S with me to the PGA S/S when I demo'd their G400 & G400 SFT, I should mention that I really struggle hitting balls in a SIM with poor air circulation, a bunch of noise and people watching.

I tried the stock Alta, didn't like the ball flight, but that's what I got with the driver. For me, my Di6 had a lower or mid trajectory and I got more run out, my avg distance was about 265-270, with 105-108 mph s/s, I had better numbers with the G400, I believe the spin was around 2600-2700. When I hit those two drives the other day (279 & 282) I couldn't believe it, in 12 years playing the same track, with a number of different brand of drivers, I've never been that close to the green before on my second shot. I normally play ProV1's, but was using a found Callaway Supersoft, perhaps that had something to do with it, don't know.

I preferred the smaller G400 head over the GMAX.

Trust this helps,

Cheers

David

Ping DLX Cart Bag

Played 9 just now and the ping 400 lst is the bomb. My misses are sooooo much better with it than my Rogue its not fair. last 3 drives with it I made birdie, eagle, birdie. The first drive was bad....bottomed it a bit but dead center and rolled out quite a way....got away with it. Second drive baby cut hit well dead center again - then nuked a 3 wood that rolled to 6ft for eagle I converted. Last drive on 9 was a baby cut that was killed right center hit 9 iron to 6 ft agian on a 475yd par 4. This driver just gives heaps of confidence...love it - go get one!

Played 9 just now and the ping 400 lst is the bomb. My misses are sooooo much better with it than my Rogue its not fair. last 3 drives with it I made birdie, eagle, birdie. The first drive was bad....bottomed it a bit but dead center and rolled out quite a way....got away with it. Second drive baby cut hit well dead center again - then nuked a 3 wood that rolled to 6ft for eagle I converted. Last drive on 9 was a baby cut that was killed right center hit 9 iron to 6 ft agian on a 475yd par 4. This driver just gives heaps of confidence...love it - go get one!

I had the regular 400 when it came out, I really liked it then I got fitted for the rogue. I went and picked up the 400 max at Continental Golf today because I hit one yesterday that the guy had, so we’ll see how it stands up to the rogue. if the misses are better it’ll be in the bag more, thanks for the update. I got the matching seven Wood and that thing is just crazy off the deck, 220 in the air.

I am just curios are you hitting the same shaft in the G400 vs the Rogue? I just came from a fitting and didn't find a substantial difference from head to head for me. I went in wanting to buy something new because I like new clubs and came out with my current club (first gen M1 with Rogue Silver 60) was as good as anything I tried. Maybe I am just in the right shaft and there isn't enough of a difference in the new heads. I certainly don't look to have as much speed in my swing as you.

I am just curios are you hitting the same shaft in the G400 vs the Rogue? I just came from a fitting and didn't find a substantial difference from head to head for me. I went in wanting to buy something new because I like new clubs and came out with my current club (first gen M1 with Rogue Silver 60) was as good as anything I tried. Maybe I am just in the right shaft and there isn't enough of a difference in the new heads. I certainly don't look to have as much speed in my swing as you.

When I was fitted for the rogue The shaft that ended up working for me was that tour AD6 IZ Stiff. I did not get it for vanity reasons I told him fit me with what works the best and they only had that demo shaft for the rogue not be ping400 max. So with that shaft and the rogue head combo I was picking up like 20 yards over the standard stiff shaft that came in the ping but as I was saying, hit one the other day the 400 that is, And for me i preferred accuracy over distance so I’m gonna give it a shot with the stock shaft. that rogue I’ve got $850 in to that ouch! Tour AD shafts are pricey, The rogue is pretty accurate driver and very long but I’d like to get a little bit more accuracy so I’m gonna try that ping

Anyone try the Aldila Rogue Max 65 (Low launch) in a G400 or G400 LST? Just got fitted for that shaft in the 917 D3 and the numbers were great (for me)? 100 SS. Any feedback on said shaft in the G400 line?

Driver: Ping G430 Max (10.5) - Ventus (Velocore) Blue 5S
3 Wood: Ping G425 Max (14.5 Degree) - Ventus (Velocore) Red 5S
5 Wood: Ping G425 Max (17.5 Degree) - CB Alta 65S
9 Wood: Ping G430 Max (23 Degree) - CB Alta Black 65S 

5 Hybrid: Ping G425 (26 Degree) - CB Alta 70S

Titleist T150 8-PW KBS $ Taper (115)  

Titleist T200 6/7 KBS $ Taper (115)

Vokey (49/53) Degree) SM8 F Grind - KBS Tour (120)
Vokey (58 Degree) SM7 S Grind - KBS Tour (120)
Putter: Scotty  - Special Select Newport 2.5

Just went Thru a fitting at GG and trackman and had consistent numbers with g400 10.5 turned to 9.5 with tour 65 stiff. Ss 98-103. Spin was 2700 best and 245carry with 265 total on trackman with their terrible balls. So no difference with lst 10, so favored on forgiveness of reg head. My last Ping was G20.

They have trackman at GG?

Just went Thru a fitting at GG and trackman and had consistent numbers with g400 10.5 turned to 9.5 with tour 65 stiff. Ss 98-103. Spin was 2700 best and 245carry with 265 total on trackman with their terrible balls. So no difference with lst 10, so favored on forgiveness of reg head. My last Ping was G20.

They have trackman at GG?

They do here in Pittsburgh PA

I'm sure the answer to this question is buried in this thread somewhere but I am yet to find a direct answer. I just picked up a G LS Tec in 9* with a HZRDUS Yellow and am loving it. With that said, it is rather beat up (I got it on the cheap).

My question is, how does it stack up to the G400 LST? I cannot find a demo to try out and am curious if those who made the switch to the G400 stuck with the LST version and did those of you who played the 9* head in the G go with the 8.5 in the G400? Also, I find that I cannot miss left with the G LS Tec, which I love. Does the same hold true with the G400 LST?

Titleist TSi 3 / 9.5* / PX Smoke Blue RDX 60TX

TaylorMade Stealth 2 Plus / 15* / PX Smoke Blue RDX 70 6.5

Ping iCrossover 2 Iron / Ping 2.0 Tour Chrome 85X

Ping iBlade 4 Iron / PX LZ 6.0

Ping Blueprint 5-PW / PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Vokey SM10 / 50.12F / 54.14F / 58.8M / PX LZ 6.0

TaylorMade Spider Tour Black (Slant Neck / No Sight Line)

Yeah I asked the guy about that and he said that the only difference in the one I hit and this SFT head was that the SFT head is draw biased which would help with my fade somwhat. I did call yesterday and ask him if he could order one in so I could hit it before I purchased on the Launch Monitor so we could see how it actually goes! I too told him I was reluctant to buy one I haven't hit during our fitting!

Tbe SFT is a fantastic, well-engineered head. It is not closed face and the heel weight only moves the ball left about 7 yards. Wont save you if you really slice one but will help and might keep you in play. It will reduce slice spin. The one I had just wanted to go straight. You should demo it but if fitter is recommending I assume your miss is to the right.

The head is exactly like the standard. The only difference is the weight is shifted slightly heelward in the SFT. I have hit both and gotten very similar flight.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

Tbe SFT is a fantastic, well-engineered head. It is not closed face and the heel weight only moves the ball left about 7 yards. Wont save you if you really slice one but will help and might keep you in play. It will reduce slice spin. The one I had just wanted to go straight. You should demo it but if fitter is recommending I assume your miss is to the right.

The head is exactly like the standard. The only difference is the weight is shifted slightly heelward in the SFT. I have hit both and gotten very similar flight.

Yeah he told me no real difference except what I mentioned. I can and do lose some to the right so this is in hopes of straightening it out even a little may help! I found a good deal on one with the recommended shaft so a SFT on its way so we will see pretty soon!

Previously posted how impressed I am with my new G400 & Tour Ad Di6S. Played my 10 round on my home course yesterday, no wind, nice and warm, 26C/79F, fairways cut short and a bit dried out, get lots of run out, hit 2 of my longest drives ever, my best was on 356 yd Par 4, was 64 yds to center of green, hit 1/2 60* wedge to 5 feet & made birdie. This driver/shaft combo has made a ton of difference, brought back some consistency but most important my confidence, if you put a good swing on it, she flies straight/slight draw down the fairway. Saying that, still would like to try a Tensei CK Pro Orange 60 Stiff to see how the G400 would perform. Once again, anyone here playing this combo ?

D.

Ping DLX Cart Bag

Can anyone compare the tour shaft in X flex to the stock Alta in a S flex? I've got the G400 with the Alta S, but my miss is a pull to the left. I love the distance, but was thinking of going to the tour shaft in a little stiffer to see if I could get rid of that a little. Really liking the reviews on the Maxx, so maybe just picking one of those up with the tour shaft.

G400 has finally come alive. G driver may be on the bench, well, at least for the summer. Fuji Atmos Black had made the debut in the G400, but that combo just really never got it going, benched.

last night, don't ask why, pulled the old favorite shaft outta the old G30 and clicked it in G400 and packed it in the bag. that s.o.b. had quite the outing today, and I think has now made first string.

Previously posted how impressed I am with my new G400 & Tour Ad Di6S. Played my 10 round on my home course yesterday, no wind, nice and warm, 26C/79F, fairways cut short and a bit dried out, get lots of run out, hit 2 of my longest drives ever, my best was on 356 yd Par 4, was 64 yds to center of green, hit 1/2 60* wedge to 5 feet & made birdie. This driver/shaft combo has made a ton of difference, brought back some consistency but most important my confidence, if you put a good swing on it, she flies straight/slight draw down the fairway. Saying that, still would like to try a Tensei CK Pro Orange 60 Stiff to see how the G400 would perform. Once again, anyone here playing this combo ?

D.

I just ordered a Tensei CK Orange (not the Pro) 50 S and will let you know what I think. Trying to get a higher launch with lower spin. SS is 98-102.

G400 has finally come alive. G driver may be on the bench, well, at least for the summer. Fuji Atmos Black had made the debut in the G400, but that combo just really never got it going, benched.

last night, don't ask why, pulled the old favorite shaft outta the old G30 and clicked it in G400 and packed it in the bag. that s.o.b. had quite the outing today, and I think has now made first string.

That's good to hear. Hope it continues to treat you well!

I swapped my G30 for a G400 a few months back and frankly I've been going through a bit of a dip in my driving quality. To be honest this started before the switch but changing the club didn't help. More recently I made a swing adjustment and my confidence has gone up dramatically and I'm killing the ball. Hope it holds up. When confidence goes up so does the results!

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

I had the regular g400 and it was pretty forgiving and the distance was decent, I thought was ultimate driver, but then hit cobra F8+ and changed mind, it was the driver of all, lol.

Then one day took the old G25 out one day and it ended up longer than any and about as accurate. But I just recently got G400 max, have not hit yet, stock shaft, but suspect it will be the forgiving and new distance club, all stock shafts. Took custody of the 7wood too while I was at it.

Can anyone compare the tour shaft in X flex to the stock Alta in a S flex? I've got the G400 with the Alta S, but my miss is a pull to the left. I love the distance, but was thinking of going to the tour shaft in a little stiffer to see if I could get rid of that a little. Really liking the reviews on the Maxx, so maybe just picking one of those up with the tour shaft.

This is the flip of what you are asking but involves both shafts. I hit the Alta in an X flex during a fitting and the Tour Shaft in a S and found the Tour shaft more stable for me than the Alta X. The Tour S will definitely be more stable than the Alta S.

This is the flip of what you are asking but involves both shafts. I hit the Alta in an X flex during a fitting and the Tour Shaft in a S and found the Tour shaft more stable for me than the Alta X. The Tour S will definitely be more stable than the Alta S.

Yeah, the Tour X is no joke (especially the 75). I'm 110+ and the Tour S was plenty of shaft for me.

Be careful going stiffer to eliminate the left miss. I've actually found that a stiffer shaft (for me at least) actually accentuates the left miss. If you think the standard Alta stiff is not stable enough, I would suggest you try going up in flex incrementally. Try the XTorsion, HZRDUS 5.5, or the Tour 65 stiff. All are very stable shafts that would not require such a dramatic jump in flex. If those don't work out, then try the Tour 75 stiff, HZRDUS 6.0 and Kura Kage X-stiff (which supposedly plays between stiff and x-stiff).

I have the Max and originally had the Alta shaft but bought a used Tour 65 stiff on BST.

It's definitely more stable than the Alta. I personally felt the Alta was more tip soft and the Tour is firmer in overall profile.

I fought a pull hook and made swing changes recently to fix that. Now the common miss is a cut. The Tour shaft, to me, gives better feel for where the clubhead is. The Alta would be vague as you got aggressive with the swing.