Ping G400 Drivers

GolfWRX

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone have the hybrid? I haven't looked at it too close due to not being able to swap shafts easily but I'm seeing a few pop up now with aftermarket shafts.

I have the hybrids as well in 17, 19 and 22 degrees. I swap them with some of the long irons as course dictates. I haven't seen any around with a Tour or anything other than the Alta to try out.

Experience with Ping G400 LST, std. G400, and the Max here... regarding aftermarket shafts, Tensei Blue or Tour AD DI were awesome in the LST at 8.5* for me. Aldila Copperhead X-Torsion was also really good. LST is the head for me without a doubt, but all are very solid.

Titleist TSR3 10* Ventus Blue 6X

Titleist TSR3 14.5* GD AD IZ 7X

Titleist T200 3 iron GD AD DI HY

Titleist T150 4-PW DG Tour White

Titleist Vokey 48*, 54*, 60* DG Tour Issue

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

Experience with Ping G400 LST, std. G400, and the Max here... regarding aftermarket shafts, Tensei Blue or Tour AD DI were awesome in the LST at 8.5* for me. Aldila Copperhead X-Torsion was also really good. LST is the head for me without a doubt, but all are very solid.

I will say I was not as big a fan of the xtorsion they sell as a small upcharge. I played it most of the fall but switched to a few others this spring and like them more, mainly stability on mis hits. I’m playing a TP, IZ, and Rogue 125.

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

Anyone have the hybrid? I haven't looked at it too close due to not being able to swap shafts easily but I'm seeing a few pop up now with aftermarket shafts.

I have the hybrids as well in 17, 19 and 22 degrees. I swap them with some of the long irons as course dictates. I haven't seen any around with a Tour or anything other than the Alta to try out.

Seems weird they only offer the Alta. I’ve yet to see them in anything over 70 grams either. There’s one on the bst with a real deal tensei white but a bit stout @ 9tx for me. The 5 wood is one of my best purchases over the last few years so I want to give the hybrid a shot.

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

I will say I was not as big a fan of the xtorsion they sell as a small upcharge. I played it most of the fall but switched to a few others this spring and like them more, mainly stability on mis hits. I'm playing a TP, IZ, and Rogue 125.

I should clarify on the Copperhead... I have it in a 70 TX, not ordered through Ping. The Copperhead M3 440 matchup is better than the LST for some reason. Nice selection your have there to choose from... I'm a fan of all 3 of those shafts too.

Titleist TSR3 10* Ventus Blue 6X

Titleist TSR3 14.5* GD AD IZ 7X

Titleist T200 3 iron GD AD DI HY

Titleist T150 4-PW DG Tour White

Titleist Vokey 48*, 54*, 60* DG Tour Issue

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

Can anyone compare the tour shaft in X flex to the stock Alta in a S flex? I've got the G400 with the Alta S, but my miss is a pull to the left. I love the distance, but was thinking of going to the tour shaft in a little stiffer to see if I could get rid of that a little. Really liking the reviews on the Maxx, so maybe just picking one of those up with the tour shaft.

This is the flip of what you are asking but involves both shafts. I hit the Alta in an X flex during a fitting and the Tour Shaft in a S and found the Tour shaft more stable for me than the Alta X. The Tour S will definitely be more stable than the Alta S.

Yeah, the Tour X is no joke (especially the 75). I'm 110+ and the Tour S was plenty of shaft for me.

Be careful going stiffer to eliminate the left miss. I've actually found that a stiffer shaft (for me at least) actually accentuates the left miss. If you think the standard Alta stiff is not stable enough, I would suggest you try going up in flex incrementally. Try the XTorsion, HZRDUS 5.5, or the Tour 65 stiff. All are very stable shafts that would not require such a dramatic jump in flex. If those don't work out, then try the Tour 75 stiff, HZRDUS 6.0 and Kura Kage X-stiff (which supposedly plays between stiff and x-stiff).

Same experience with too stiff a shaft in these Pings for me...going a little too stiff (trying to lower the launch) actually made me miss further left. I swing at about 106-7 and felt like I had to wrestle the Tour 65 X more than I wanted. Was exacerbating my slight over-the-top pull miss. The 65S let me time things a little better. I think the KK TS, or "proto", shaft and tour 65s match up fairly close for me performance wise...and let me feel the shaft load a little

I’m a little behind on the G400 even though I tested it, but is the regular not as anti-left as the LST? And the regular G400 still had great spin numbers or was that the max?

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

Can anyone compare the tour shaft in X flex to the stock Alta in a S flex? I've got the G400 with the Alta S, but my miss is a pull to the left. I love the distance, but was thinking of going to the tour shaft in a little stiffer to see if I could get rid of that a little. Really liking the reviews on the Maxx, so maybe just picking one of those up with the tour shaft.

This is the flip of what you are asking but involves both shafts. I hit the Alta in an X flex during a fitting and the Tour Shaft in a S and found the Tour shaft more stable for me than the Alta X. The Tour S will definitely be more stable than the Alta S.

Yeah, the Tour X is no joke (especially the 75). I'm 110+ and the Tour S was plenty of shaft for me.

Be careful going stiffer to eliminate the left miss. I've actually found that a stiffer shaft (for me at least) actually accentuates the left miss. If you think the standard Alta stiff is not stable enough, I would suggest you try going up in flex incrementally. Try the XTorsion, HZRDUS 5.5, or the Tour 65 stiff. All are very stable shafts that would not require such a dramatic jump in flex. If those don't work out, then try the Tour 75 stiff, HZRDUS 6.0 and Kura Kage X-stiff (which supposedly plays between stiff and x-stiff).

The low left pull could be indication of a shaft that's too flexible generally (obviously there are exceptions). But I've also seen people try to swing harder because the shaft is too stiff resulting in dead pulls. As for the Tour 65 in stiff flex? My swingspeed is in the 88 mph range at 69 years old and its been the best fit for me in my 8.5* G400 LST. LOL.

I went thru a Trackman IV fitting hitting my preferred ball hitting inside to out. I went in thing I needed Std G400 10.5* of loft and a reg flex. WRONG as you can see. Results were there in numbers, seeing ballflight and now my results on the course. The G400 might be the most dependable club in my bag. And the longest, straightest driver I've played in years.

What I'm saying is you can't generalize a shaft based solely on swingspeed and transition. What works for one might not for another. To the OP? Go find a GOOD fitter and trust in the results.

Callaway 10.5* Paradym X

TaylorMade 16.5 Stealth HL

Callaway Epic Flash Heavenwood

TaylorMade Stealth Irons 5 thru AW
Vokey SM8 54*/10* S Grind
Vokey SM8 58*/12* K Grind
T.P Mills Custom PN MIng
Odyssey 38" Tank #7 (a work in Progress)

The low left pull - isn't that more indicative of a shaft that is too soft? Club face has turned over too early, whereas a ball hanging over to the right is a shaft that is too stiff? You're not turning it over and the club face is open?

My bad. I just edited my post. I got interrupted when I was typing and had a brain fart. LOL. Meant to say "it could be an indication of a shaft that's to flexible". Don't have grand kids around when typing asking about golf clubs. LOL.

Callaway 10.5* Paradym X

TaylorMade 16.5 Stealth HL

Callaway Epic Flash Heavenwood

TaylorMade Stealth Irons 5 thru AW
Vokey SM8 54*/10* S Grind
Vokey SM8 58*/12* K Grind
T.P Mills Custom PN MIng
Odyssey 38" Tank #7 (a work in Progress)

Whenever I pull a shot, has zero to do with the shaft. More of a body stop during the downswing, arms however keep going and now I am over the top and — if the face is square — a dead pull that is hit solidly but straight left. Many players have a body stall on the downswing which can create a patterned miss or a two way miss. Fun, fun. I use the flamingo drill or the step-through to get out of it.

As for the Ping, can say with certainty now the G400 is the best driver I have ever played. Ping Tour 65g stiff shaft and 9 degree head is perfect for me. Played this week, was not hitting it great off the tee, but I waa getting away with it. Some unintentional stingers that still went 240-250 yards and straight. And when I put good swings on it, it is a weapon. I switch irons and wedges plenty but for my sporadic game a Ping driver is as close to automatic as I’ll ever be off the tee.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

On a board where many of us are constantly changing equipment - the above post about Ping drivers fits me to a tee.

I finally got comfortable hitting a driver with a Ping Rapture and Rapture V2. Prior to that I would just hit irons of the tee and pray.

I've now moved into a Max, and I can't think of a driver that I would be more comfortable with. I get up there and I'm not worried about a pull or high block. I know it's going to be in the fairway or just off, unless I do something very bad. It's an awesome feeling to have. Hope it lasts for a long time.

I'm now using a Hzrdus Yellow in my G400 Max.

Can't say enough good things about the G400 Max, driving it better than I ever have and I have confidence to really go after it, resulting in my longest drives ever.

Titleist TSR2 // Autoflex SF505

Titleist TSR2 16.5 // Vista Pro 60s

Ping G25 20, 23 // Tour AD True Spec

Titleist T200/T150 5-GW // Steelfiber i80PR

Titleist SM9 54.10, 58.12 // Steelfiber i80r

L.A.B. Golf DF3 // L.A.B. x TPT

The low left pull could be indication of a shaft that's too flexible generally (obviously there are exceptions). But I've also seen people try to swing harder because the shaft is too stiff resulting in dead pulls. As for the Tour 65 in stiff flex? My swingspeed is in the 88 mph range at 69 years old and its been the best fit for me in my 8.5* G400 LST. LOL.

I went thru a Trackman IV fitting hitting my preferred ball hitting inside to out. I went in thing I needed Std G400 10.5* of loft and a reg flex. WRONG as you can see. Results were there in numbers, seeing ballflight and now my results on the course. The G400 might be the most dependable club in my bag. And the longest, straightest driver I've played in years.

What I'm saying is you can't generalize a shaft based solely on swingspeed and transition. What works for one might not for another. To the OP? Go find a GOOD fitter and trust in the results.

That is so true about flex! I never could hit a kuro kage stiff. Put a regular in a cobra F8+ head was just right. Three guys at the driving range that play on the local college team asked if they could hit that club and I said sure and then wanted to know what the flex was, I said regular and they said they would not be able to hit this. We hit extra stiff and that’s even too weak but after they hit it the guy was just like amazed a high slight draw and hit it 300+. he just could not believe it, he says are you kidding me I’m hitting a regular shaft that well I said guess you are

That is so true about flex! I never could hit a kuro kage stiff. Put a regular in a cobra F8+ head was just right. Three guys at the driving range that play on the local college team asked if they could hit that club and I said sure and then wanted to know what the flex was, I said regular and they said they would not be able to hit this. We hit extra stiff and that’s even too weak but after they hit it the guy was just like amazed a high slight draw and hit it 300+. he just could not believe it, he says are you kidding me I’m hitting a regular shaft that well I said guess you are

I had a similar situation about a year ago. I am low to mid nineties with a 6 iron, and 110+ with a driver. Was fit into an x-stiff AD-DI tipped 1” and simply could not move it. I tend to have 4-5 leftover shafts in my garage at any given time, but at this specific point the only shaft I had laying around was a MFT Kail’i 65 in regular flex. I knew I couldn’t continue playing that AD-DI, so I installed a tip on the MFT shaft and took it to the course intent on minding my tempo and bunting a few drives into play.

Well, that regular flex “made for” shaft was AWESOME. I was 30 yards past my “custom fit” driver and hit more fairways that I could count. I had to be sure not to throttle up with it, but if I took a smooth, balanced swing, that thing would SING!!!

G400 w synergy black was downright incredible.

Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 8.75*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Qi10 Tour / 3w / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

Was? What\Why was it replaced?

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 - Ventus Blue 6S
Ping G410 LST 3wd - Alta Stiff

Srixon ZX5 MKii, 3i - KBS C-Taper Lite S 110g
Srixon ZX7 MKii, 4-PW - KBS C-Taper Lite S 110g
Cleveland Zipcore Raw 50, 55, 60 - DG S400
Odyssey Prototype #9

Was? What\Why was it replaced?

through no fault of ping, i cracked 2 G400, non-lst driver heads (2 different places) in less than 2 months. i needed something more durable lol

i'd still be using one right now if i didn't have the issues i had. i know it's random chance basically but, i couldn't risk it with qualifiers and whatnot.

Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 8.75*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Qi10 Tour / 3w / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

For you guy that have hit the G400, the LST, and the Max on a launch monitor, how different were you spin numbers between the three?

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 6X

PXG Gen 5 0311 15* - Aldila Tour Blue 75X

PXG  Gen 5 0311 19* - Aldila Tour Blue 85X

PXG 0311T Gen 5 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

For you guy that have hit the G400, the LST, and the Max on a launch monitor, how different were you spin numbers between the three?

LST wins because it's the only one that comes in 8.5*.

G400 MAX relative to how high it launches may spin less than G400, but that observation is anecdotal.

LST wins because it's the only one that comes in 8.5*.

G400 MAX relative to how high it launches may spin less than G400, but that observation is anecdotal.

I would have to agree with this post.

I compared the G400 and Max on the monitor when looking to purchase. I don't recall the exact numbers but the Max was a few hundred rpm less than the G400 and the lanuch angle was higher on the Max. IIRC the Max was launching around 13* and the G400 was around 10-11*.

I found the 9* Max and 10* LST to be very similar spin wise, regular G400 a couple hundred rpm higher. ALL low spin though. I bought a Max from Ping and had them add hot melt high on the back of the face mostly for sound purposes but it also seems to have lowered the launch and spin even more. I'm actually not sure I like it now. Sound isn't a whole lot different... it's still a fantastic driver and easy to hit fairways with but feel/sound are very important to me and I'm not sure the Max is ticking those boxes right now compared to some others I have tried lately.

Titleist TSr2 10*  GD UB 6s

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Srixon ZX7 mkii 4-7, Z-Forged ii 8-P KBS CTL 110

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

Hit the 9 degree G400, Max in same shaft - similar launch and spin; LST was about 200 rpm less spin in my limited time with it.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi Golf Shaft @45 in. (coming soon)
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18/ TPT Golf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Ping i230 5-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 or Ping Glide Forged Pro, Both with Nippon 105 
  • Putter:  LAB DF3 TPT Shaft (waiting)
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

ROD,

I hit the lst, 400 and max

Launched lst 13.5 @8.5, 400 14.2@9 and max 15.1@9 deg.

Spun lst 270 less than 400 and about 180 less than the max.

I was wilder with the max and I already launch high so 13.5 just under 2k and feeling like I could middle it more was the deal. Plus sound was better but that didn't decide anything

I got fit this week out in Scottsdale by Ping Headquarters. They sent their tour van out to Kierland. As a lefty, I was pretty excited to see all the heads and different shafts.

I warmed up with my set first. Then hit my driver to get some numbers. I started with the Ping G400 9* head with the same shaft that I have in my Rogue SZ - HZRDUS Yellow X flex 75 gram.

Head felt great. Didn’t feel like I was gaining anything from the G400. Asked to hit G400 Max 9* head with the Yellow shaft.

GMax was very forgiving. Hit the ball with a higher launch and slightly more spin than my Rogue SZ. He then asked me to hit the G400 LST.

LST felt really good but was the least forgiving of all the heads. Much more demanding. When you hit it on the screws, it flys as far or farther than any head out there. Wasn’t for me.

He then asked to put together a combo with a different shaft based on my numbers. He handed me the club and just asked that I hit it without paying much attention to what it was. I didn’t recognize the shaft so I just swung away.

Club felt very solid. Really liked the way the head and shaft combo felt. Hit the ball a little lower at around 14 degrees of launch with 2300 spin but hit the ball really straight. I hit like 4 out of 10 “fairways” with my Rogue SZ. 3 of the other balls would be playable but the remaining 3 would not. With this new combo, I hit 6 “fairways” with 3 more playable and only hit 1 bad drive.

I asked him what the shaft was and he said it’s their Ping Tour Shaft 75 X flex. I had hit their 65 Tour shaft in a stiff flex in a G30 head but didn’t like the shaft at all so I was very surprised when he told me.

Just for kicks, I asked him to set up that combo in their G400 3 wood head. I dropped two balls down and hit them really good. Put another ball on a tee and hit it great as well. Put my rogue SZ 3w down and hit it a little low. Put it on a tee and hit it ok. So I ended up ordering the driver and 3 wood with the Ping Tour 75 x flex shafts in both the 3 wood and G40p Max.

My swing speed is around 108 with a strong move at the ball. I like the Rogue SZs and will keep them to compare with the Pings at my home course. The Rogues may be slightly longer but the Pings seem to be more forgiving. If I can hit a few more fairways then I can drop from an 11 to probably somewhere around an 8 or so. If I have to give up 3 or 4 yards then who cares. My Srixon 765s won’t care!

Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS 9* Tensei 60TX
3 wood: Ping G425 14.5* Tour 75X
Hybrid: Ping G430 19* Kaili 85X
Utility: Srixon ZX 4-21.5* Project X LZ 6.5
Irons: Srixon ZX7 5-PW Project X LZ 6.5
Gap Wedge: Srixon ZX7 PW bent to 50*
Sand & Lob Wedges: Vokey SM8s - 54/12 D, 58/10 M
Putter: 2014 Scotty Cameron Fastback 20 gram weights

Ball: Titleist Pro VIx Left Dash

I got fit this week out in Scottsdale by Ping Headquarters. They sent their tour van out to Kierland. As a lefty, I was pretty excited to see all the heads and different shafts.

I warmed up with my set first. Then hit my driver to get some numbers. I started with the Ping G400 9* head with the same shaft that I have in my Rogue SZ - HZRDUS Yellow X flex 75 gram.

Head felt great. Didn’t feel like I was gaining anything from the G400. Asked to hit G400 Max 9* head with the Yellow shaft.

GMax was very forgiving. Hit the ball with a higher launch and slightly more spin than my Rogue SZ. He then asked me to hit the G400 LST.

LST felt really good but was the least forgiving of all the heads. Much more demanding. When you hit it on the screws, it flys as far or farther than any head out there. Wasn’t for me.

He then asked to put together a combo with a different shaft based on my numbers. He handed me the club and just asked that I hit it without paying much attention to what it was. I didn’t recognize the shaft so I just swung away.

Club felt very solid. Really liked the way the head and shaft combo felt. Hit the ball a little lower at around 14 degrees of launch with 2300 spin but hit the ball really straight. I hit like 4 out of 10 “fairways” with my Rogue SZ. 3 of the other balls would be playable but the remaining 3 would not. With this new combo, I hit 6 “fairways” with 3 more playable and only hit 1 bad drive.

I asked him what the shaft was and he said it’s their Ping Tour Shaft 75 X flex. I had hit their 65 Tour shaft in a stiff flex in a G30 head but didn’t like the shaft at all so I was very surprised when he told me.

Just for kicks, I asked him to set up that combo in their G400 3 wood head. I dropped two balls down and hit them really good. Put another ball on a tee and hit it great as well. Put my rogue SZ 3w down and hit it a little low. Put it on a tee and hit it ok. So I ended up ordering the driver and 3 wood with the Ping Tour 75 x flex shafts in both the 3 wood and G40p Max.

My swing speed is around 108 with a strong move at the ball. I like the Rogue SZs and will keep them to compare with the Pings at my home course. The Rogues may be slightly longer but the Pings seem to be more forgiving. If I can hit a few more fairways then I can drop from an 11 to probably somewhere around an 8 or so. If I have to give up 3 or 4 yards then who cares. My Srixon 765s won’t care!

I wanted to add that I hit the hybrid with stock stiff and it was really easy to elevate off the ground, not that I need help getting the ball up, but it was a great hybrid. I tried it with the Tour X shaft and didn’t get along with it well at all. I’ll stick with my Rogue hybrid for now

Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS 9* Tensei 60TX
3 wood: Ping G425 14.5* Tour 75X
Hybrid: Ping G430 19* Kaili 85X
Utility: Srixon ZX 4-21.5* Project X LZ 6.5
Irons: Srixon ZX7 5-PW Project X LZ 6.5
Gap Wedge: Srixon ZX7 PW bent to 50*
Sand & Lob Wedges: Vokey SM8s - 54/12 D, 58/10 M
Putter: 2014 Scotty Cameron Fastback 20 gram weights

Ball: Titleist Pro VIx Left Dash

I feel like the 400 lst is very forgiving, almost shockingly so. The max was amazing but sound was meh and not as workable with a higher flight I couldn't knock down as easily when I wanted. Just straight and bomb with confidence then max it but if you need smaller head for focus and slight shaping lst is it for better strikers