Ping G400 Drivers

GolfWRX

Is bubba using a max also?

Not sure, but he plays PING. That is part of the question. I know that Finau plays the 4MAX, not sure what Bubba plays, but both get plenty of roll out.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen4 @ 10.5* w/Tour AD VR-6 S

Fairway: PXG 0341 X GEN4 @ 15* w/PX Evenflow Riptide CB 60g
Fairway: Callaway Mavrik @ 18* w/PX Evenflow Riptide 60g
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen4 Xtreme Dark Combination Set: 5-7 Gen4 XP; 8-GW Gen4 P w/SteelFiber 95
Wedges: Cleveland RTX Black Satin 50*  54*  58*

Putter: PXG Bat Attack-HS @ 35.5"
Ball: Wilson Staff Model

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watching the Genesis this week and Bubba and Finau are just flat out bombing it. We all know this is normal for these two, but the thing that strikes me the most is the rollout they get after the carry. None of us are in their world, but what shafts are these guys using with their Ping equipment? Tony's looks to be the Alidila Green and Bubba used to play Grafalloy. Anyone?

Nailed it for both. Bubba still using tour proto bi matrix. Edit** Tony rocking the Accra.

I hit the LST and the Max today (as well was the Rogue SZ). I found the Max to be VERY forgiving and long. I was using stock Alta shaft to compare heads. High and straight ball flight. Sound was horrible, as others are saying. It is a great looking club, but I’m not sure I like the silver face.

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 - Ventus Blue 6S
Ping G410 LST 3wd - Alta Stiff

Srixon ZX5 MKii, 3i - KBS C-Taper Lite S 110g
Srixon ZX7 MKii, 4-PW - KBS C-Taper Lite S 110g
Cleveland Zipcore Raw 50, 55, 60 - DG S400
Odyssey Prototype #9

I hit the LST and the Max today (as well was the Rogue SZ). I found the Max to be VERY forgiving and long. I was using stock Alta shaft to compare heads. High and straight ball flight. Sound was horrible, as others are saying. It is a great looking club, but I’m not sure I like the silver face.

I looked at the MAX, and it looks huge. The G400 and LST look so much better. Great showing for Ping though.

Not to mention the pros drivers are custom weighted to optimize their spin, and landing angle...

PING G410 9 Flat(HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5/Ventus Black 7x)
PING G410 14.5 (HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5)
PING G425 LST 14.5 (Speeder Tour Spec 7.2x)

PING G410 17.5 (HZRDUS T1100 85g 6.5)

NIKE Vapor Fly 20* Iron (Modus105x HS)

PING i500 20* iron (DG105x100)

P7TW 3-PW (DGX7)

52 milled grind (DGX7)  / Vokey TVD K 58 (DGX7)
TM Spider Armlock/SIK Armlock

Once I get a shaft fit for me in my g400, I plan to change the weight a little bit as I swing better with a lighter SW driver (have less jump at it as I feel i can create the same SS with my normal swing rather than jumping my whole body at it). The lighter SW made all the difference in my G30. I think you can get the weights off of eBay, right?

TBD - G430 Max 15* - 818 H2 19*- Sub 70 Pro 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58* / 62*  - F22

Once I get a shaft fit for me in my g400, I plan to change the weight a little bit as I swing better with a lighter SW driver (have less jump at it as I feel i can create the same SS with my normal swing rather than jumping my whole body at it). The lighter SW made all the difference in my G30. I think you can get the weights off of eBay, right?

Yes, they're available on Ebay, but you're looking at $20 minimum.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Yes, they're available on Ebay, but you're looking at $20 minimum.

They can be found at Golfworks for less than $10

Let me tell you what Wooderson is packin'
Sim Max 12° Speeder NX 6s
Sim2 Max 15°
Ping G410 21° 
Ping G425 22°/25°
Ping G430 6-PW AWT Stiff
Ping Glide 3.0 GW/SW

Ping Eye 2 XG LW

I put the MAX through a few more tests and compared it to the G400.

The G400 Max launches it much higher and the ball carries a little further. I have never seen a ball stay in the air that long. Very forgiving. Definitely noticed that the ball seemed to ride the wind - downwind. Against the wind it kind of ballooned on me.

Overall it performed better - although this is all subjective. On the 5 holes I hit drives - I gained distance on 4/5 with the G Max.

Its staying in the bag for now

I was fit for the G400 on Trackman yesterday.

Gained 22 yards carry vs. my 2017 M1 (i was not fit for this and just used trial and error to get what I thought worked well).

My AOA with M1 was between -3 and 0. With the G400 it was 0- +1 with the same swing and shaft (HZRDUS yellow).

My fitter thinks that because the weight is so far back in the head, it helps with this.

Just sharing my experience and might be worth a look for anyone that struggles with negative AOA.

Gained 22 yards carry vs. my 2017 M1 (i was not fit for this and just used trial and error to get what I thought worked well).

My AOA with M1 was between -3 and 0. With the G400 it was 0- +1 with the same swing and shaft (HZRDUS yellow).

My fitter thinks that because the weight is so far back in the head, it helps with this.

Just sharing my experience and might be worth a look for anyone that struggles with negative AOA.

Can you tell me a bit about your other swing characteristics (SS, tempo, launch, etc..). Thank you.

Irons: PXG 0311 Gen4 Xtreme Dark Combination Set: 5-7 Gen4 XP; 8-GW Gen4 P w/SteelFiber 95

Makes some sense since rear weighting tends to add dynamic loft IIRC. I could potentially see that having an impact on how the shaft reacts to the load and how Trackman reads AOA.

ONOFF Labospec 358 — Tour AD TP6
Titleist TS2 16.5* — Kuro Kage XM 80
Justick Proceed 21* UT — Nippon GOST 
Mizuno MP-20 HMB/MB— MITSUBISHI MMT 105/125
Mizuno T20 50* and 55* — MITSUBISHI MMT 125
Seven ST 61* Black Boron — MCI Black 125 “mild”
Epon Ltd Edition I-33 — Matrix PZ-125 Shaft 

Can you tell me a bit about your other swing characteristics (SS, tempo, launch, etc..). Thank you.

I swing between 97-100 MPH with a pretty smooth tempo. I have a late release and my miss is a push right if i don't close the face. Working on that and positive angle of attack with driver.

On my best swings with the G400/HZRDUS yellow 6.0 @ 98/99 MPH, i was launching at 12* with around 2300 rpm spin. Peak height of 80 feet. Carrying 244 yards.

I am not a high ball hitter but this is the best combo i have found.

I like a smooth shaft and I am stuck on these different options for shafts!

Speeder Evolution II 569

Project X EvenFlow Blue

Oban Kiyoshi Purple

Oban Kiyoshi White

Diamana S+

Anyone have any thoughts/input?!?

Given what you have listed.. I am just curious.. did you try the XTorsion Copperhead in stiff flex? I also like a very smooth feeling shaft and this is the route I went with. The cost is relatively low for it also as an upgrade, $45 bucks generally though some are charging as much as $75 for it.

II've gamed both the Diamana S+ and Speeder 569 II, though not with the G400... I did think both were pretty smooth but between these two I would give a nod to the Speeder.

I also when XTorsion. That is one smooth shaft. I am a long time Whiteboard board user and loved the higher launch, low spin, and smoothness.

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

I swing between 97-100 MPH with a pretty smooth tempo. I have a late release and my miss is a push right if i don't close the face. Working on that and positive angle of attack with driver.

On my best swings with the G400/HZRDUS yellow 6.0 @ 98/99 MPH, i was launching at 12* with around 2300 rpm spin. Peak height of 80 feet. Carrying 244 yards.

I am not a high ball hitter but this is the best combo i have found.

Thank you. Your swing is nearly identical to mine, though I may have a tendency sometimes to get a bit more aggressive at impact. I will be sure to try this combination during my testing.

I like a smooth shaft and I am stuck on these different options for shafts!

Speeder Evolution II 569

Project X EvenFlow Blue

Oban Kiyoshi Purple

Oban Kiyoshi White

Diamana S+

Anyone have any thoughts/input?!?

I have the handcrafted blue in my max. Smoothest Shaft I’ve ever hit and I’ve hit them all!! Just an amazing shaft in my opinion. Go at it as hard as you want and it feels super smooth but very stable

Ping is fixing these correct?

PING G410 9 Flat(HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5/Ventus Black 7x)
PING G410 14.5 (HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5)
PING G425 LST 14.5 (Speeder Tour Spec 7.2x)

PING G410 17.5 (HZRDUS T1100 85g 6.5)

NIKE Vapor Fly 20* Iron (Modus105x HS)

PING i500 20* iron (DG105x100)

P7TW 3-PW (DGX7)

52 milled grind (DGX7)  / Vokey TVD K 58 (DGX7)
TM Spider Armlock/SIK Armlock

HOLY SHAT!!!! Have not gotten this G400 SFT out on the course or on the range, but I hit 4 balls into the woods behind my house and they were soooo good. Hope this carries to the course.

Absolutely loved the feel and sound.

you probably shouldn't be teaching your new G400 to be hitting balls into the woods. ;)

yes, the driver is fantastic. best of luck to you with it out on the course!

Ping is fixing these correct?

They said they would. Hopefully I can pick up a new head at a local retailer. Otherwise, I have to wait for them to ship me a new head. I've got a tournament in 2 weeks and really need to get this remedied before I jump on the plane.

Done deal! New head in hand. Ping customer service is great...

Any body got any thoughts on this. Was playing a FT-iz with the stock Vodoo in stiff flex. It was the tour model at 10.5. I snagged a G400 SFT head off of here and thought that I could decrease a little spin and increase forgiveness while hitting it the same height. I have played 9 holes with it so far on the course and one round on the simulator which isn't crazy accurate. It seems that I am spinning it significantly higher and launching it significantly higher with the G400SFT 10 with the Attas T2 5S not sure why as I thought that shaft would be similar to the stock voodoo as sort of a mid launching/ mid spinning lighter weight shaft. I'm hitting short moon balls with the G400 SFT, am I going to need to try a lower launching shaft or does that head just launch and spin a lot more than the regular G400. I got it to help tame some of my pushes.

Ping G Elements Chrome 5F4
Srixon F65 17 Stock Stiff

Ben Hogan VKTR+ 18 Stock Recoil

Titleist AP2 716 DG SL TI S300 4-PW

Titleist SM5 Tour Chrome 50/08 F, 54/10 M and SM7 58/14 K Grind S300

Taylormade Ghost Tour Black Indy

Any body got any thoughts on this. Was playing a FT-iz with the stock Vodoo in stiff flex. It was the tour model at 10.5. I snagged a G400 SFT head off of here and thought that I could decrease a little spin and increase forgiveness while hitting it the same height. I have played 9 holes with it so far on the course and one round on the simulator which isn't crazy accurate. It seems that I am spinning it significantly higher and launching it significantly higher with the G400SFT 10 with the Attas T2 5S not sure why as I thought that shaft would be similar to the stock voodoo as sort of a mid launching/ mid spinning lighter weight shaft. I'm hitting short moon balls with the G400 SFT, am I going to need to try a lower launching shaft or does that head just launch and spin a lot more than the regular G400. I got it to help tame some of my pushes.

It's typical for draw biased drivers to spin a little higher and launch a little higher too. Most of the time they are higher lofted sometimes 12*... I'm sure if you find the right shaft combo, you can bring the spin down.