2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Ping G400 Drivers

GolfWRX

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's all good, I'm not offended. It was the same launch monitor at both places - the Foresight GC2. I don't know what to tell you. I have emails with all the data from both places and these are the averages.

Edit: Having done a 'static' fitting before when I bought that JPX 850 when I replaced my G20, I was also a low spin and high launch. I only tested those two drivers and that was 3 years ago. I specifically remember getting spin around 1,800 with the JPX and I was over 2,500 with the G20. Also, in general, I have a very high ball flight and my ball does tend to run out.

Something is off. Try putting those figures into https://flightscope....tory-optimizer/ It's more about making sure you are getting accurate info to make your decisions. There's just no way that the ball is going 290ish with a sub 150 ball speed

I'm always around 275-290 with the driver. So while I understand that you think something may be off, the results are similar to what I get on the course. The readings were from two different places and they both measured very similarly. I don't know what else to say.

There’s absolutely no way, no offense. GC2 is what they use at big box stores right?

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

Again, I don't know what you guys are looking for. I'm not offended, but I also don't know how I'm supposed to argue with the data. Are both stores GC2's broken? Need to be re-calibrated? I have no idea. All I know is the data I was given. Also, if this matters, I have a major upward angle of attack. I don't hit down or even square on my driver. I'm hitting that bad boy coming up, and I tee it up a little higher than most, which is why I think I get such a high ball flight, low spin, and a lot of roll. In fact, the fitter at my second fitting said 'Man, you have a wicked angle of attack'. To which I asked 'is that bad?' And he said 'no, don't change a thing. you're like a machine with the consistent launch angle and ball speed, so it's working for you'.

DR: Mavrik SZ - Tour AD XC 7S
5W: Mavrik SZ - Tour AD XC 8S
3H: Titleist 816 H2 - Speeder 8.8X
Irons (4-P): Mizuno MP-20 MMC - KBS $ X
Wedges (50,54,58): Mizuno T20 Raw - KBS $ X
Putter: Seemore Nashville
Ball: 2021 Pro V1

Again, I don't know what you guys are looking for. I'm not offended, but I also don't know how I'm supposed to argue with the data. Are both stores GC2's broken? Need to be re-calibrated? I have no idea. All I know is the data I was given. Also, if this matters, I have a major upward angle of attack. I don't hit down or even square on my driver. I'm hitting that bad boy coming up, and I tee it up a little higher than most, which is why I think I get such a high ball flight, low spin, and a lot of roll. In fact, the fitter at my second fitting said 'Man, you have a wicked angle of attack'. To which I asked 'is that bad?' And he said 'no, don't change a thing. you're like a machine with the consistent launch angle and ball speed, so it's working for you'.

From what I know, the results are physically impossible...so yeah, either both stores have bad GC2's, the balls you were using were jacked up, the low spin is creating bad results, etc. It's just a matter of making sure people are getting accurate information. Otherwise you're using bad data to make decisions, that's all. My guess is that the ball speed readings are jacked up, the GC2's have the elevation set at like 3000 feet, or they have the range blowing dead downwind in the settings

We’re not really looking for anything, just trying to help you. If your comfortable with your results, you do you. Or listen to those of us saying those numbers are whack and go somewhere else before buying a driver. Totally up to you. I wouldn’t put any stock in those spin numbers knowing other numbers are obviously incorrect.

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

Yes on a GC2 you can hit a 1500rpm knuckleball and carry it 20 yards farther out of nowhere, not to mention flatter landing angle and more roll. Something to do with over-valuing spin reduction or something. Probably best to find a tm or flightscope to double check

Interesting and good to know. I've never seen that, but I'm also not hitting 1500 rpm shots. I'm assuming that issue was addressed with the GCQuad?

Yes on a GC2 you can hit a 1500rpm knuckleball and carry it 20 yards farther out of nowhere, not to mention flatter landing angle and more roll. Something to do with over-valuing spin reduction or something. Probably best to find a tm or flightscope to double check

Interesting and good to know. I've never seen that, but I'm also not hitting 1500 rpm shots. I'm assuming that issue was addressed with the GCQuad?

This is what I was told at my shop... but Armour, your ball speed and other numbers seem to line up better and make sense. If I remember yours were in the high 150s with similar carry to what was previously posted with ball speed in the high 140s. That doesn't make sense... I was in the high 140s about a year ago on trackman and the MOST carry I could muster was 250 yds with a Ping G. Could just be a setting issue on that particular GC2.

Titleist TSr2 10*  GD UB 6s

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Srixon ZX7 mkii 4-7, Z-Forged ii 8-P KBS CTL 110

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

This is what I was told at my shop... but Armour, your ball speed and other numbers seem to line up better and make sense. If I remember yours were in the high 150s with similar carry to what was previously posted with ball speed in the high 140s. That doesn't make sense... I was in the high 140s about a year ago on trackman and the MOST carry I could muster was 250 yds with a Ping G. Could just be a setting issue on that particular GC2.

Yeah I was also using a GC2 but the numbers make sense. Makes sense that it's only an issue for really low spin shots.

I tried the standard G400 today with the stock shaft - I was very impressed. It seemed like as long as you square up at impact, the ball soars off of any part of the face. I have a monstrous hook when I really go after the ball, and I had very few with this club. I did find that I got a little erratic with it when my swing speed got up closer to my typical, but I think it was due tot he swing weight. I was doing fine with it, then I switched tot he Epic and it took a while to get my swing speed and contact back with the Ping after. Had I not touched another driver, I could be there pumping them straight down the line yet with the Ping - it was a very tough choice to take the Epic over it, but I'm more consistent and longer with the Cally.

In the Wilson Exo II:
Driver - 2017 Taylormade M1
3 wood - 2016 Taylormade M1
7 wood - Callaway XR Steelhead Heavenwood
Irons Staff - Wilson C300 Forged 4-GW
Wedges - Cleveland RTX 4 54* / 58*
Putter - Wilson Staff Infinite Windy City

I hit one today at PGASS. I love my 917 D3, but this club was effortless. The easier I swing, the better the results. I bought one. Feel and sound was perfect. And I need the compact head.

D

Cobra Darkspeed LS, Ventus TR Blue 6x

Ping G430 Max 15*, Tour Chrome 2.0

Ping G430 Max 21*, Tour Chrome 2.0

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour, 4-P, PX LZ 5.5 blackout

Mizuno T24, 50*/56*/60*, KBS Hi Rev 2.0 blackout 

Evnroll ESR2 Black

I hit one today at PGASS. I love my 917 D3, but this club was effortless. The easier I swing, the better the results. I bought one. Feel and sound was perfect. And I need the compact head.

D

Ooooooooooooo.... interesting. I just bought a 917 D3 (KK TiNi DC 60s), LOL. It was the only other driver that came close to the G400 in terms of ball speed and distance. Also, it seems just as easy to hit in play but I haven't had it on the course yet. I love the looks of the 917 D3, just so classic, but you are right, the G400 can be effortless. I was hitting the G400 to places I have never seen on my home course, but damn WRX, I can't stop trying other drivers!!

Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

What’s the story with the G400 “Max” version above?

Callaway Paradym 12° - Fujikura Ventus Red 6s

Callaway Paradym 18° - Fujikura Ventus Red 7s

Callaway Paradym 21° - Fujikura Ventus Red 7s
Srixon z785 (4-PW) - Oban CT 115s+
Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Copper SB 50° - Black KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 s
Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Copper SB 55° - Black KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 s
Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Copper SB 60° - Black KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 s

Bettinardi Studio Reserve JAM-F

The g400 is a good driver but nothing that is better than anything else. I still think the 16 m2 with the right shaft is as good as anything. I will probably sell my ping.

Titleist tsi3 driver Evenflow White 6.0

Titleist ts3 3 wood

Srixon hybrid

Titleist t100s irons with $ taper shafts

Vokey sm8 50-54-58

Evnroll 1.2 putter

Pro V1

Just ordered a aldila tour blue 75 x for my g400 lstec. Anyone have experience with this shaft? I currently play the tour 65 x shaft and its nice but feel it could be smoother.

I played the Tour Blue stiff in a Fly Z+ a couple years ago and remember LOVING how smooth that shaft was. I would love to hear your opinions once combined with the G400. My Evo 661 is also pretty smooth feeling, terrific combo.

The Ping Tour shaft is pretty smooth but from what I remember the Tour Blue will feel smooth and more stable.

Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

Just ordered a aldila tour blue 75 x for my g400 lstec. Anyone have experience with this shaft? I currently play the tour 65 x shaft and its nice but feel it could be smoother.

I played the Tour Blue stiff in a Fly Z+ a couple years ago and remember LOVING how smooth that shaft was. I would love to hear your opinions once combined with the G400. My Evo 661 is also pretty smooth feeling, terrific combo.

The Ping Tour shaft is pretty smooth but from what I remember the Tour Blue will feel smooth and more stable.

I will report back with my results and get on a launch monitor for numbers to compare. Ive always got along with aldila shafts. Worth a shot for $60.

Curious what everyone’s head weights are?

Titleist TSi2 10, Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 6X, 45"

Titleist TSi2 16.5, Fujikura Ventus Red Velocore 7X, 43"

TaylorMade GAPR Mid 4, KBS

Titleist T100S, KBS C-Taper S+ 5-PW

Titleist SM8, 50F, 54S, 60D, TT S400 Custom 

Scotty Cameron Phantom X12, 35", Stability Tour

[url="https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/"]https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/[/url]

Like weight if the head itself or the small weight in sole or overall swing weight?

The weight of the head itself. No shaft. Simply take. Off the shaft and weighed in grams.

A buddy of mine sent me his and it was 203g.

Titleist TSi2 10, Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 6X, 45"

Titleist TSi2 16.5, Fujikura Ventus Red Velocore 7X, 43"

TaylorMade GAPR Mid 4, KBS

Titleist T100S, KBS C-Taper S+ 5-PW

Titleist SM8, 50F, 54S, 60D, TT S400 Custom 

Scotty Cameron Phantom X12, 35", Stability Tour

[url="https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/"]https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/[/url]