Ping G400 Drivers

GolfWRX

So what's the overall verdict for the G400 drivers? I'm still on the fence about upgrading my G20 next year and after seeing Shiels' review of the last 5 years of Ping drivers the G400 is the only one that meets or exceeds the G20 for performance and forgiveness (or at least it does it the best). Really liked the overall look of the new driver, but I guess I'll still need to 'test drive' them some more before making a decision. Any overall thoughts?

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it me or does the the little + look more closed than the big +? I have the LST in 8.5 and have been playing with lofts and at O it looks slightly open, big + square, and little + just slight closed?

Noticed you also play the bio cell pro driver. How do you find the G400 LS compared to the Cobra? I played the bio cell pro for awhile (eventually sold it) and kept and play the bio cell +.

Is it me or does the the little + look more closed than the big +? I have the LST in 8.5 and have been playing with lofts and at O it looks slightly open, big + square, and little + just slight closed?

Noticed you also play the bio cell pro driver. How do you find the G400 LS compared to the Cobra? I played the bio cell pro for awhile (eventually sold it) and kept and play the bio cell +.

I like both drivers a lot for different reasons. The Ping is definitely more forgiving, but it wants to go right more than the BCP, and anything I lose way right is a swing flaw that I'm trying to correct. Although I like the sound of the G400 LST the BCP is better in both areas, On good shots I don't think either is any better than the other to be honest, but on mishits where you still square the face up the Ping is definitely better. I hit one off the toe and according to GPS it still went 290 total.

I've hit both. SS is 95-98. Preferred the 9 at '0' or small '-' than the 8.5 turned up small '+'.

Everyone is different.

They said that Scott was struggling to hit a draw with his gamer. Increasing the loft 0.6 degrees on the LST would have adjusted the club face from slightly open to neutral or slightly closed. That would generally help with the draw.

I was testing an LS vs normal G400 and I still found the LS Tea more fade biased in the + setting vs the normal G400. There is supposed to be approx 300rpm difference in spin between the two heads, which is the equivalent of reducing loft by 1*. The LS Tec also has a flatter lie angle, which could impact the fade bias.

If you don't struggle to draw the ball consistently and you need lower spin, I would stick with the LS Tec.

I like both drivers a lot for different reasons. The Ping is definitely more forgiving, but it wants to go right more than the BCP, and anything I lose way right is a swing flaw that I'm trying to correct. Although I like the sound of the G400 LST the BCP is better in both areas, On good shots I don't think either is any better than the other to be honest, but on mishits where you still square the face up the Ping is definitely better. I hit one off the toe and according to GPS it still went 290 total.

Thanks, good to know. The extra forgiveness sounds great especially if similar spin numbers to the BCP. Have you tested the Ping and Cobra with the same shaft?

Finally got my g400 ls to the course. Played 36 and after zero swings for two months the first 18 was brutal. However, the g400 was great once I pulled out the xtorsion copper and put in my 4w ad-di . I ordered it d4 at 44.5 inches, but this was the first counter balance shaft I’ve used. I’ll give it another try but so far I’m not digging cb shafts.

G400 lst digital loft at 9 playing at 8
G400 3w. Xtorsion Black 80tx
G400 5w. Ad-di 8x
20 and 24 ft worth hi
5-pw Miura BB with x100 ti
60 mack daddy forged
Nike 006 proto

Thanks, good to know. The extra forgiveness sounds great especially if similar spin numbers to the BCP. Have you tested the Ping and Cobra with the same shaft?

I didn't. In the BCP I have the DI and the LST has a Tensei Pro Orange V3. The Tensei probably launches lower but the head of the LST launches higher.

So what's the overall verdict for the G400 drivers? I'm still on the fence about upgrading my G20 next year and after seeing Shiels' review of the last 5 years of Ping drivers the G400 is the only one that meets or exceeds the G20 for performance and forgiveness (or at least it does it the best). Really liked the overall look of the new driver, but I guess I'll still need to 'test drive' them some more before making a decision. Any overall thoughts?

Stick with what works for you. I stumbled into the G400 because Ping replaced my damaged i25 (lost a sole weight). I was always thrilled with the length of the i25 with the Tour 65 shaft. After a couple of range sessions and a round, the pros of the G400 include a much better sound and better head stability for me. I'm much straighter with the G400 with less draw/hook spin. It's a little shorter than the i25 (same loft) but I'm going to put a Tour 65 shaft in it to bring the ball flight down a little and hopefully pick up a little more rollout.

If I hit both side by side (and had to pay for the G400 :) ), I'd probably still be in the i25.

I am hooked. Hit the Ping G400 at a practice range while working on my son's swing. Very forgiving. Came back a week later to get fitted, but was unable to do a proper fitting due to weather. Since it is late in the season here in Northern Ohio, I was allowed to take a demo club with me to North Carolina this past weekend. I am impressed to say the least. My swing speed was 3mph faster (103 vs 100) with the G400 vs my gamer (10.5 Titlest 813). My best drives were noticeably farther. I get 255 with my best drives with the gamer (it was fitted 4 years ago at HotStix). I was getting 275 with the G400 (9 degree stiff flex, Alta CB 400). More impressive was that it was MUCH more consistent. I did not lose a ball all day. 80% found fairway. My worst shots were 20 yards right of the fairway (my miss is a push from moving forward in my swing). This is much less than I see with the gamer for the same miss. Impressed is too mild. Stunned is closer to how I feel. More distance AND straighter? I'm sold. Now to get weather good enough for a proper fitting.....

Bubba's G400

8.5° LST (at 7.8°), Bi-Matrix X tipped 1/2”, 44 1/2”, PING 703-Gold grip (+15 wraps LH, +13 wraps RH), D3

DNp5TFhVAAAhEX4.jpg

DNp5TFgUMAA6QXM.jpg

DNp5TFhVwAACB5L.jpg

DNp5TFfUEAAzLCm.jpg

TaylorMade QI10 9* - Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 8TX

TaylorMade Stealth+ 15* - Fujikura Ventus Red 9TX

NIKE Vapor Fly Pro 3-4i - Fujikura Pro Tour Spec 95X

Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5 - KBS Tour 130X

Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 6-PW - DG TI X100

Mizuno T22 Raw 50* S, 55* D | TaylorMade Hi Toe 60* - DG TI S400

Scotty Cameron Select Squareback +

Buckle up is right, this is the real deal, it has been a long time since a ping driver has been in my bag, but this one is staying. I am playing at 44.5 lst with tour ad tp 10 degree plaing 1 less and loving this driver.

Signature of Solon CC

Ping g430 10k 9 Accra fx 3.0 140 m0

TM Qi10 max 16 

Titleist 917 18 Kk proto

Titleist Tsr1 4 hybrid Accra fx 2.0 

Titleist t300 5-Pw Matrix Red proto moi matched 

Wilson Staff zm 50 recoil dart v

Wilson staff zm 56 recoil dart v

Vokey Wedge Works Raw 60K DG S400 Black Onyx

L.A.B. Mezz Max Blue Head Tpt shaft 34/71

I put my new G400 LST (10 degree) in my bag today, but unfortunately it didn't quite perform. I hit a few good drives, but otherwise I couldn't get the ball in the air. Too many low running draws.

'Gotta hit the range to work on it. I'm coming from a 12 degree G SFT, and I think my swing has adapted to the extra loft. The driver felt good. 'Really solid.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

I put my new G400 LST (10 degree) in my bag today, but unfortunately it didn't quite perform. I hit a few good drives, but otherwise I couldn't get the ball in the air. Too many low running draws.

'Gotta hit the range to work on it. I'm coming from a 12 degree G SFT, and I think my swing has adapted to the extra loft. The driver felt good. 'Really solid.

I hit the 9 degree G400 at the range briefly and had a low trajectory as well. Then I started thinking about it, and realized the shaft was 3/4 inch longer than my gamer. I moved the ball slightly forward in my stance (about 1/2 ball width) and tee'd it slighly higher (about 1/4 inch) and the problem was solved. Nice flight pattern, similar to my current gamer - but much more consistent.

Anyone tried the g400 with the hzrdus yellow ? Seen some mention the x torsion, the Alta, the tour 65 but not any talk on the hzrdus that I've seen.

I have been using the Tour shaft but I bought a hzrdus yellow. Going to try it out tomorrow on the monitor.

Nike Tour Premiere
Nike TW13
Jordan Flight Runner
Ecco Biom Hybrid
Nike TW14 Masters 
Nike React Vapor 2
Nike AM97

Sim Max driver
M6 3, 5 woods
Vokey SM7 wedges
Scotty Fastback T22

I upgraded from the G20 to the G400. I had the stock Tour stiff in the G20 (I played it with a pricey exotic shaft for a while as well), and have the stock Tour 65 S in the G400.

Overall, I would say the G400 is an noticeable improvement on the G20. The biggest difference is with the mishits. With the G400, mishits still go fairly straight, and lose less distance than with the G20. I'm not sure that's it's noticeably longer on middled hits, and it would be difficult for me to test that.

Finally, I prefer the smaller profile of the G400, and it sounds/feels better, too.

In summary:

For me, the G20 was a great driver; the G400 is better.

I hit the 9 degree G400 at the range briefly and had a low trajectory as well. Then I started thinking about it, and realized the shaft was 3/4 inch longer than my gamer. I moved the ball slightly forward in my stance (about 1/2 ball width) and tee'd it slighly higher (about 1/4 inch) and the problem was solved. Nice flight pattern, similar to my current gamer - but much more consistent.

I started the round with the stock Alta shaft. It was 1/4" shorter than the Fujikura shaft in my G. Given that I was on the course, and not the range, I was purposely trying not too adjust too many variables the first time out. Half way through the front 9 I adjusted the loft up 0.6 degrees. 'Helped a bit. At the turn I swapped the shaft for my Fujikura (Pro 53), which weighs a few grams less I believe. Half way through the back nine I adjusted the loft up the full 1.0 degree.

I don't think it was any surprise that a 10 degree low spin head was going to have a different ball flight than a 12 degree head. On a few holes I hit two balls, one at my normal tee height, and the 2nd a bit higher. I also played the 2nd one a bit more forward in my stance. The higher tee seemed to help get the ball in the air, but I also felt that I was purposely trying to swing up on the ball. This is a fairly significant change from my current driver.

I definitely need to hit the range to find the best ball position and tee height. I went for a driver fitting a few months back, and I was a bit surprised to see that the LST model was the best of the bunch, although it didn't really give me any significant distance increase over the G. The advantage of the LST was that the low spin was more forgiving on mishits, as my mishits appear to put a ton of spin on the ball, resulting in nasty 'ol hooks. While I did hook a few yesterday with the LST, they still wound up in the left half of the fairway, or near the fairway.

One more interesting data point. I normally hit a big draw, which can turn into a hook if I flip my hands, and/or fail to get my weight to my left side. Yesterday I hit a couple of baby fades, and they were the best drives of the day. I assume keeping the club face open helped keep the loft up vs. closing the clubface hitting a draw. I've been working on hitting a fade all year, and if it turns out to be a more reliable shot, I may consider going to it.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

G400 lst digital loft at 9 playing at 8
G400 3w. Xtorsion Black 80tx
G400 5w. Ad-di 8x
20 and 24 ft worth hi
5-pw Miura BB with x100 ti
60 mack daddy forged
Nike 006 proto

I upgraded from the G20 to the G400. I had the stock Tour stiff in the G20 (I played it with a pricey exotic shaft for a while as well), and have the stock Tour 65 S in the G400.

Overall, I would say the G400 is an noticeable improvement on the G20. The biggest difference is with the mishits. With the G400, mishits still go fairly straight, and lose less distance than with the G20. I'm not sure that's it's noticeably longer on middled hits, and it would be difficult for me to test that.

Finally, I prefer the smaller profile of the G400, and it sounds/feels better, too.

In summary:

For me, the G20 was a great driver; the G400 is better.

Thanks for the update. I found similar results is using a demo for a couple of rounds - it just took a little while to get used to the new club. Plan to demo it again and we'll see about getting the new one after the new year.

adjust it up to 11*. and make sure you aren't too far out on the toe with your ball striking.

I tested the g400 indoors (LST-8.5* & Regular-9*). Might have been a shaft issue for me, but most everything was high right and over spinning. Club head speed was actually recording higher though.

The club looked sweet and I wanted to love it, but the results were mostly awful landing well short of my Callaway gamer. Wish I could've swapped my own Fuji shaft in, I don't know anything about Ping shafts (tried Tour and Alta stiff). Might give it another try outdoors when Ping has a demo day at my club.

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9* / Ventus TR 5-S
Callaway Rogue 14* / Tour Blue 75-S

Callaway Rogue SZ 18* / Thump 75f-S

PXG Gen2 22* / Fuji Pro 73-S
Mizuno MP-20 HMB 4-P / Modus 120-S 
PXG Sugar Daddy II 53*/58*

Odyssey Versa 1W

Stick with it as that is a really big change. I've hit a lot of balls with the LS, standard and SFT models all set within 0.5* of each other and it is noticeable how the LS will the complete opposite flight bias (a 10 yard draw becomes a 10 yard fade) and for me launches a few degrees lower with lower spin that will also make the apex lower

adjust it up to 11*. and make sure you aren't too far out on the toe with your ball striking.

I did adjust it to 11 degrees in the latter half of the back nine, but it didn't quite do the trick. A big part of the problem is that increasing the loft closes the clubface, which magnifies the draw. I think I simply need to work on the ball position and tee height.

I'm certainly not ready to abandon it after one round. The LST was the best of the bunch when I had my driver fitting, so I just have to spend some time with it. The few good drives I had were low, boring draws that really traveled. I play a lot of rounds in windy conditions, and I've always preferred a lower ball flight.

Hit the G400 yesterday on a launch monitor. I think I was averaging 3-4mph more in ball speed than I was with the random 2017 M2 that I grabbed. It was spinning way too much until I put the Tour 65 S shaft in. I probably need the X though and I don't think that the retailer had it. They had the HZRDUS 6.5 but I hit that like garbage. Interesting to see the higher ball speed though. Has me intrigued...I'll have to go back and try the shaft options and different head models