2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Ping G400 Drivers

GolfWRX

For you guys playing the LST, what’s your swing speed? Loving my 9* but thinking about trying a 10* LST... I was getting readings from 104-107 on the gc2... just wondering if it might help eliminate the lefts a little more.

I am 104-108 (Trackman). Love my 10* LST. During my fitting, we found that the LST was more point and shoot/swing than the regular G400 so shot dispersion was a lot tighter. If I remember right, I think we saw about a ~10 yard tighter circle (?)...I just remember the circle on the Trackman comparison looked much smaller compared to the G400 and my former gamer (Callaway BBADBD). Hope that helps!

Just a bit off topic, but how good is the 3 wood?

Pretty good actually. Longer than expected. I came from a Titleist 915F. Loved that 3 wood off the tee but off the deck it was not the best (for me). The G400 is longer (longer on course and on Trackman- not ridiculously longer but it carries on average longer and it still fills in the gap perfectly from Driver to 5W) and so much easier to hit off the deck. Ball flight off the tee is about the same-ish...G400 launches higher and apex overall is higher but not by a huge amount. Off the deck, ball flight is much better (for me) than my previous 3 wood. I don't have to work hard to get a higher ball flight compared to any previous 3 woods I have owned. That was the selling point for me. I don't usually hit 3 wood off the deck but there are a couple holes on the courses I play that are safe-ish to go for it. With this 3 wood, I feel like I have more options when playing those holes. So far it has been worth the trade.

Driver: PING G410 LST, Ping Tour 65X

3 Wood: PING G400, Project x EvenFlow Blue 75 6.5

3 Hybrid: PING G410, Ping Tour 85 X

Irons: Mizuno MP-5 (4-PW), Dynamic Gold X100

Wedges: PING Glide (50SS, 54WS, 58ES), Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5

Ball: Taylormade TP5 (Pix or Yellow)

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What are differences between regular and LST heads? Does LST sit open? Weight differences of head? Fade biased versus hook biased? Looking forward to Spring and demo day.

Ping G410+ 9° with tour shaft
Titleist TSR3 19 hybrid

Ping S55 3-pw x100
Vokey 52/56/60
Scotty Newport 2

Threw my 661 Evo in the G400 today, performed really well. I have to say, this driver when struck well, almost over performs for me... It's like I am learning my home course from a whole different yardage. Having 20-25 less yards in than before is actually taking me a lot of time to adjust to.... Haha.

Titleist TSr2 10*  GD UB 6s

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Srixon ZX7 mkii 4-7, Z-Forged ii 8-P KBS CTL 110

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

What are differences between regular and LST heads? Does LST sit open? Weight differences of head? Fade biased versus hook biased? Looking forward to Spring and demo day.

Biggest difference is spin. I have heard from my fitter that the LST sits a touch more open and others have heard it sits the same. Ping's website states a G400 head weight of 206.0 grams (swing weight at D3) and a LST head weight of 208.0 grams (swing weight at D4). To my knowledge, the only hooked based model is the SF Tech. I found that the LST is more point and shoot/swing then the G400. The G400 does spin more for me- that meant a higher ball flight and a bigger dispersion area during my Trackman fitting (Both left and right). The LST fit better for me and my swing and honestly I got the best and most consistent results with it versus my previous gamer and the G400. Definitely worth trying both out in the spring.

Driver: PING G410 LST, Ping Tour 65X

3 Wood: PING G400, Project x EvenFlow Blue 75 6.5

3 Hybrid: PING G410, Ping Tour 85 X

Irons: Mizuno MP-5 (4-PW), Dynamic Gold X100

Wedges: PING Glide (50SS, 54WS, 58ES), Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5

Ball: Taylormade TP5 (Pix or Yellow)

Biggest difference is spin. I have heard from my fitter that the LST sits a touch more open and others have heard it sits the same. Ping's website states a G400 head weight of 206.0 grams (swing weight at D3) and a LST head weight of 208.0 grams (swing weight at D4). To my knowledge, the only hooked based model is the SF Tech. I found that the LST is more point and shoot/swing then the G400. The G400 does spin more for me- that meant a higher ball flight and a bigger dispersion area during my Trackman fitting (Both left and right). The LST fit better for me and my swing and honestly I got the best and most consistent results with it versus my previous gamer and the G400. Definitely worth trying both out in the spring.

Thanks for info.

Ping G410+ 9° with tour shaft
Titleist TSR3 19 hybrid

Ping S55 3-pw x100
Vokey 52/56/60
Scotty Newport 2

If you are looking for consistency, personally I don't think the G400 can be beat. As others have said it's not the longest driver available. Got mine (let version) in the other day with a heavier weight to use with my speeder EVO III 661x to get sw back up since I'm playing it at 44 3/4". Only hit it on the simulator so far but was using my shops demo last couple rounds. Never been this confident with a driver in 20+ years of playing. I can just get up and swing and I know I won't be losing a ball. Can play draws and fades with it too if necessary but just too easy to hit straight with very minimal movement. Just so excited to pull out driver now!

Does the SF Tec head sacrifice distance vs the regular head?

There is no way to really answer this than for some yes, for others no and yet again for some the SFT will actually help them gain some yardage. It's too much of an individual thing to say yes or no to.

I have a very moderate swing and for me the difference was negligible between the two but my mishits went further and my dispersion was much better with the SFT. Others might have had exactly the opposite for their results I am sure.

I was able to demo the G400 driver this past weekend again, in my long search for a new driver, and found it to be really easy to hit and long too. Although I couldn't get hold of the tour 65 shaft to demo, the standard stiff shaft seemed to perform really well. It felt lighter than my current G20, which I guess it is, but was totally controllable. I had some difficulty getting used to this driver the first time I tried it so I wanted to give it another shot and it really performed. I was 10+ yards longer with this new driver which really surprised me as I am pretty consistent with my current model. One question is there really that much difference between the tour 65 and the standard stiff shafts? I know I'll need to get a real fitting but I was surprised by this demo range session.

I was able to demo the G400 driver this past weekend again, in my long search for a new driver, and found it to be really easy to hit and long too. Although I couldn't get hold of the tour 65 shaft to demo, the standard stiff shaft seemed to perform really well. It felt lighter than my current G20, which I guess it is, but was totally controllable. I had some difficulty getting used to this driver the first time I tried it so I wanted to give it another shot and it really performed. I was 10+ yards longer with this new driver which really surprised me as I am pretty consistent with my current model. One question is there really that much difference between the tour 65 and the standard stiff shafts? I know I'll need to get a real fitting but I was surprised by this demo range session.

shaft-chart.png

I've now played 15 rounds with my G400 LST (10*). I'm using the Fujikura Pro 53 shaft from my previous G SFT (12*). I'd give it a grade of B- at this point. Being low spin, it is more forgiving (left/right) than the G SFT. 'No surprise there. I have no problems hitting a nice little draw when I put a good swing on it. With an open setup, I can also hit a nice baby fade. I can still hook the cr*p out of it with a poor swing, but that's certainly not the clubs fault.

The downside is that the low spinning head loses significant distance on off center strikes. 'Reminds me a bit of my (failed) experiment with the SLDR. With only 95 mph of swing speed, the ball basically falls out of the air if poorly struck. I average 250 yards with good swings, but I've managed quite a few drives in the 200 to 220 yard range with mediocre contact.

I'm a low ball hitter, and I struggle to get any height on the ball. In firm conditions the low runners are acceptable, but in wet conditions I'm losing a lot of distance. I gotta work on the swing over the winter months. Given that I'm coming from a 12 degree model, it's no surprise, though. While the Fujikura Pro 53 is a high launching shaft, I'm going to try others to see if they can help. I tried increasing the loft, but the closed clubface only makes my draw more pronounced.

Overall I'm not sure this is a keeper. Is a little more forgiveness worth giving up significant yardage? It would be interesting to see a 12 degree LST model.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

I've now played 15 rounds with my G400 LST (10*). I'm using the Fujikura Pro 53 shaft from my previous G SFT (12*). I'd give it a grade of B- at this point. Being low spin, it is more forgiving (left/right) than the G SFT. 'No surprise there. I have no problems hitting a nice little draw when I put a good swing on it. With an open setup, I can also hit a nice baby fade. I can still hook the cr*p out of it with a poor swing, but that's certainly not the clubs fault.

The downside is that the low spinning head loses significant distance on off center strikes. 'Reminds me a bit of my (failed) experiment with the SLDR. With only 95 mph of swing speed, the ball basically falls out of the air if poorly struck. I average 250 yards with good swings, but I've managed quite a few drives in the 200 to 220 yard range with mediocre contact.

I'm a low ball hitter, and I struggle to get any height on the ball. In firm conditions the low runners are acceptable, but in wet conditions I'm losing a lot of distance. I gotta work on the swing over the winter months. Given that I'm coming from a 12 degree model, it's no surprise, though. While the Fujikura Pro 53 is a high launching shaft, I'm going to try others to see if they can help. I tried increasing the loft, but the closed clubface only makes my draw more pronounced.

Overall I'm not sure this is a keeper. Is a little more forgiveness worth giving up significant yardage? It would be interesting to see a 12 degree LST model.

Funny how different things work differently for us all. From my testing and experience the SFT was much better left\right dispersion wise than the LST or the Std heads. I am of course using a different shaft though too. (X-Torison Copper Stiff)

I'm testing the 9 dialed down vs the 8.5 lst now and my playing partner has had the SFT out with us for many rounds. I've hit all three a bunch and don't see much difference in dispersion with any of them really. Even with a shaft that doesn't work well for me in the SFT, besides spin and flight, not seeing a strong biased from one to another. They're all pretty straight shooters IMO.

Callaway AI Smoke TD 9 Mitsubishi Kai'li white 70TX 

Titleist TSI 16.5 Mitsubishi PD 80TX

Titleist TSR 2 24 Fujikura Ventus Black 9x

Ping i230 U-4 x100

Ping s159 55 H x100

Vokey LBK s400 

shaft-chart.png

That graph is really helpful. Thanks,

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

Have you tried the 10.5 standard G400 head? I think these heads definitely launch higher than other heads with comparable lofts (not digitially lofted to compare tho). I have the 8.5 LST and have it set to the big + and it looks less closed than when you set to the little +. Also, I set up open naturally, but I did make a swing change (praying it works) and I'm hitting the ball higher so if that remains consistent I'd lower it back down to 8.5. The SFT would be worth a shot if you need a little more spin. You can lower the loft to have it more square/open to your eye? If you need a higher launching shaft try looking at a Miyazaki Kusala White or a Fuji VC .0 series shaft from a few years ago. Both good shafts if you need the launch and can be had for CHEAP.

Ordered mine at 11.5, play it in the small + setting. High bombs.

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

shaft-chart.png

Grain or two of salt...

Basically every reviewer of on the Big Bad Low Spin Shaft Review thread said the Yellow launches high (or higher than the other Low/Low shafts they were testing) and spins a ton.

917 D2 8.50* - Tensei CK Pro White 60
917 F2 13.5* - Rogue Max 70
816 H2 19.0* - D+ Plus 90
716 T-MB (3i, 4i) - Modus 120
716 CB (5-PW) - Modus 120
Hogan TK15 - 49, 55
Edel Deschutes

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1457364-pitchinwedges-witb/page__p__15152218#entry15152218"][color=#0000ff][b]Photo WITB[/b][/color][/url]

Have you tried the 10.5 standard G400 head? I think these heads definitely launch higher than other heads with comparable lofts (not digitially lofted to compare tho). I have the 8.5 LST and have it set to the big + and it looks less closed than when you set to the little +. Also, I set up open naturally, but I did make a swing change (praying it works) and I'm hitting the ball higher so if that remains consistent I'd lower it back down to 8.5. The SFT would be worth a shot if you need a little more spin. You can lower the loft to have it more square/open to your eye? If you need a higher launching shaft try looking at a Miyazaki Kusala White or a Fuji VC .0 series shaft from a few years ago. Both good shafts if you need the launch and can be had for CHEAP.

I tried all the heads when I was fit several months back, and the 10 degree LST was the best of the bunch. I was a bit surprised, having been fit for the G30 SFT two years prior.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

shaft-chart.png

Grain or two of salt...

Basically every reviewer of on the Big Bad Low Spin Shaft Review thread said the Yellow launches high (or higher than the other Low/Low shafts they were testing) and spins a ton.

Indeed. The chart shows only the relative characteristics of the shafts shown on it... it should not be used to extrapolate how the mapped shafts might be in comparison to shafts not shown on it. Also charts like this are a place to start your own testing... it's never, never a good idea to take anything like this and make a blind purchase from it.

P.S. it's good advice to take everything with a grain of salt as judging for your self is always best!

I had the best distance when I did a recent driver fitting with the G400, but it was also offline quite a bit more than the others too. And the ones I pushed, I really pushed.

G400; Loft: 9.0; Shaft: Evo 661 Stiff

Ball Speed: 148.4

Launch: 15.5

Backspin: 1,767

Carry: 269

Total: 293

Offline: 13 yards right

M1 440; Loft: 8.5; Shaft: Rogue Silver 60 Stiff

Ball Speed: 147.4

Backspin: 1,838

Carry: 268

Total: 290

Offline: 3 yards right

JPX 850; Loft: 8.5; Shaft: Speeder 6.3 Stiff

Ball Speed: 148.2

Backspin: 2.060

Carry: 267

Total: 289

Offline: 6 yards right

F8+; Loft: 8.5; Shaft: Tour AD DI 6 Stiff

Ball Speed: 148.3

Launch: 14.2

Backspin: 1,762

Carry: 266

Total: 291

Offline: 8 yards right

M1 440; Loft: 8.5; Shaft: Tour AD DI 6 Stiff

Ball Speed: 148.1

Launch: 14.4

Backspin: 1,521

Total: 290

Offline: 17 yards right

M1 460; Loft: 8.5; Shaft: Rogue Silver 60 Stiff

Ball Speed: 148.6

Launch: 14.3

Backspin: 1,650

Total: 289

Offline: 5 yards right

DR: Mavrik SZ - Tour AD XC 7S
5W: Mavrik SZ - Tour AD XC 8S
3H: Titleist 816 H2 - Speeder 8.8X
Irons (4-P): Mizuno MP-20 MMC - KBS $ X
Wedges (50,54,58): Mizuno T20 Raw - KBS $ X
Putter: Seemore Nashville
Ball: 2021 Pro V1

I had the best distance when I did a recent driver fitting with the G400, but it was also offline quite a bit more than the others too. And the ones I pushed, I really pushed.

Curious what launch monitor you were using...not trying to be rude, but I don't believe those distance numbers make sense given ball speed, spin and launch.

Curious what launch monitor you were using...not trying to be rude, but I don't believe those distance numbers make sense given ball speed, spin and launch.

No kidding. I have an ~95 mph swing speed, and average 240 - 250 yards total. The ball speed numbers seem to show a swing speed of ~98 mph. If no expert in fitting, but sub-2000 rpm spin rates is generally going to result in very little carry, and yet it's carrying 260+. Huh? I'm also surprised the fitter didn't loft up given those spin numbers.

No kidding. I have an ~95 mph swing speed, and average 240 - 250 yards total. The ball speed numbers seem to show a swing speed of ~98 mph. If no expert in fitting, but sub-2000 rpm spin rates is generally going to result in very little carry, and yet it's carrying 260+. Huh? I'm also surprised the fitter didn't loft up given those spin numbers.

It's all good, I'm not offended. It was the same launch monitor at both places - the Foresight GC2. I don't know what to tell you. I have emails with all the data from both places and these are the averages.

Edit: Having done a 'static' fitting before when I bought that JPX 850 when I replaced my G20, I was also a low spin and high launch. I only tested those two drivers and that was 3 years ago. I specifically remember getting spin around 1,800 with the JPX and I was over 2,500 with the G20. Also, in general, I have a very high ball flight and my ball does tend to run out.

It's all good, I'm not offended. It was the same launch monitor at both places - the Foresight GC2. I don't know what to tell you. I have emails with all the data from both places and these are the averages.

Edit: Having done a 'static' fitting before when I bought that JPX 850 when I replaced my G20, I was also a low spin and high launch. I only tested those two drivers and that was 3 years ago. I specifically remember getting spin around 1,800 with the JPX and I was over 2,500 with the G20. Also, in general, I have a very high ball flight and my ball does tend to run out.

Something is off. Try putting those figures into https://flightscope....tory-optimizer/ It's more about making sure you are getting accurate info to make your decisions. There's just no way that the ball is going 290ish with a sub 150 ball speed

I had a fitting on Trackman about a year ago and SS were no higher than 101 mph, longest carry I got was 250 on the nose running out to 278. I have gained some SS this year, in the 105 area and still have not seen quite those numbers, but close. I was told at my local shop that the GC2 "likes" the low spin shots a lot more and tends to calculate more distance with lower spin, so with GC2, it's tough to get an accurate read on distance IMO. I usually just go by ball speed when using it and have speeds around 153 with the G400 and the 917 D3. Anything else has been around 150.

Titleist TSr2 10*  GD UB 6s

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Srixon ZX7 mkii 4-7, Z-Forged ii 8-P KBS CTL 110

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

Something is off. Try putting those figures into https://flightscope....tory-optimizer/ It's more about making sure you are getting accurate info to make your decisions. There's just no way that the ball is going 290ish with a sub 150 ball speed

I'm always around 275-290 with the driver. So while I understand that you think something may be off, the results are similar to what I get on the course. The readings were from two different places and they both measured very similarly. I don't know what else to say.